Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: THIS IS CHENNAI AFTER ALL !!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Many of my friends went by bus. I badly wanted to try it once. Seriously, I initially thought it was some excitement I had missed in life.
    Chevy i never had the city bus experience
    One of my stupid wish is to take city bus in chennai (dont they call it pallavan, have heard in some tamil movie songs) and sightseeying
    Anbe Sivam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy
    chevy........................
    I wish i could study in india
    U already hav, havnt u?
    Schooling atleast.....?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Lambretta's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my stupid wish is to take city bus in chennai (dont they call it pallavan, have heard in some tamil movie songs) and sightseeying
    Ur right in callin it a stupid wish if its takin a chennai bus...! I've heard lots of uh, unpleasant things happening to female passengers in them!
    Better take one in hyd'bad.....the buses here look worse but atleast they hav separate seating for ladies....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambretta
    Ur right in callin it a stupid wish if its takin a chennai bus...! I've heard lots of uh, unpleasant things happening to female passengers in them!
    Better take one in hyd'bad.....the buses here look worse but atleast they hav separate seating for ladies....
    i am not going to take the city bus alone, i will take some friends with me

btw: yes i did schooling in india, but it is not like college
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

“After all the grime and heat ,
    whilst drudging in the scorching street,
    Down the svelte lane
    How refreshing is the rain....”

My first feel of the Indian Monsoon.
    I heard the downpour thrashing the cars, pavement and road outside. Early in the evening, when the first drizzle began , Patti put of the Air conditioners and let the windows open. The rain drops mixed with the Indian soil, thrashed on the neem and mango leaves and let out a sweet refreshing smell. Late in the night, Patti brought hot “Pakoda” and “Bajjis” and Patti , Thatha
    (that’s how I call my maternal grandfather) and me sat out in the balcony and relished the hot snacks in cool climate.

Every time it rained, we sat out for either Bajji or Pakoda or Vadas or sometimes soups. Anything hot for the cool climate.

When it rained in the morning, I got irritated because I had to sit in our boring lectures in college and look out longingly at the rain outside. When it rained in the evening I sat in the CA classes looking out of the windows of the classroom and dreamt of all the things I loved, hated, wanted.......

Once it rained heavily in the evening and Patti wasn’t able to come on time to pick me up on time. I didn’t want to stand alone. Kadhir and Mahesh walked into the rain , got themselves wet as they walked to the bus stand. “It takes an hour to reach home, baby. ...What do you think?”
    Rathna, Pavi and Anu had bunked. I stood daring myself to get drenched. Patti would nitpick and complain all day.

Raman stood with his friends. Our eyes met each other for a second. (Ha ! I caught you looking at me again! )

I walked up and said, “How’s prep going?" ( No clue why I wanted to talk to him. Hmmm.. I was getting bored.)

“Haven’t started. We are having cultural shows in MCC. Busy with that.....” (Huh! MCC again! )

“How are you going home?”
    “Bus. You”
    “My Patti will come to pick me up.”
    “Your who?????” ( Okay, now he’s going to find out that I am a BB-big baby. Pampered child....whatever.)
    “Patti.”
    “Oh! Er,, your grandmother comes to pick up and all. Why you won’t travel alone is it?”
    “Hmmm. They won’t allow me to.”

Some friend of his saw us talking and sneered at him.
    “Oh, okay. I got to catch the bus. Bye.” (Go stupid. And tell your friend to get lost. I don’t like his face)

Raman walked into the rain. Disappeared. Patti came ten minutes later. Till then, I , as usual, dreamt. I don’t know why I had to think of this person. But each time my mind is jobless, he pops into my thoughts. My few days with him were the best in my life. Never had a friend, an enemy, a playmate , a neighbor ...all in one as good as this one. I hate him ‘coz he hasn’t bothered to keep in touch with me. But God only knows why I miss him so much.

Sean....

Post Thanks / Like
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    interesting ...

Senior Member Senior Hubber chevy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We celebrated Diwali modestly back home in Kinshasa. October to December was full of festivities in our family friends’ circle, comprising of Indians, Middle Easterners and of course, Congolese. Diwali, Navratiri, Ramadhan , Eid and Christmas. Of course , the celebration was private, held at our own homes, or maybe celebrated with some friends over a small party.

Diwali was a big blast here with Patti. My mom’s brother, whom I’ve never met in my life before came down to Chennai for Diwali. For the first time in my life, I was meeting my cousins. I was really looking forward to the occasion. Patti took me for the “Diwali purchases”. Thatha did his purchases by himself. Patti got the house whitewashed , turned out all the pieces of furniture and got the house spotlessly clean. The day before my mom’s brother were to arrive, she told Chembarathi, our maid, to make “muruku” and “badusha”. I didn’t bother to ask if they were for Diwali or for her son, but I took the hint that she was really excited.

So was I.

Thatha had told me that my mom’s brother had a girl of my age and an older son. I was ecstatic. He also told me how I was to address them. He promised me great fun for Diwali and I knew he wasn’t lying.

The next day, Patti left early in the evening to Mambalam Station to pick “Mama”, “Athai” and my cousins. I sat in the backyard, listening to Thatha describing the ways he used to celebrate Diwali as a child.

When our car drove up our gate and into the shed, we heard the honk and went to receive the guests. I realized I was walking faster than I usually did, actually running. Just as I was about to get out of the house, Patti came running up and shoved me back in.

“Go up. You need to be properly introduced.”
    “What?”
    “Haan. Not now. Go up now. They are tired, they’ll see you later.”

I didn’t have much of a choice but I was really disappointed.
    As I turned I caught a glimpse of a bright blue dupatta or Saree pallu, I don’t know which.

I heard a husky growl saying,
    “Ha..!! This area has grown so much. So many new shops. Looks totally different.”

And a high pitched voice saying,
    “Of course. Then what do you expect? The city is developing so much and so fast. Our house’s value should have gone up also, no Athai?”

(Athai? Who’s Athai? I thought my Athai was supposed to come. Who else has an Athai here?)

“Hmmm.. yeah. Vanga. Vanga. Come in. Chembarathi will take the bags inside.”

I walked up frustrated. Stormed into my room and slammed the door shut. I had always presumed Patti was the more sensible and fun type. Thatha was reserved and never indulged in anything that I would classify as “fun”.
    I found it irritating to hear her voice that minute.

Though Mom had told me earlier about her family, I never thought it would affect me anytime. I had never cared for cousins ‘cause I never knew what it felt like to have cousins. But this time I was disappointed ‘cause I had really looked forward to meeting my cousins. Mom’s sister and brother reduced and eventually stopped talking to Mom since her marriage to an American. Mama had worked part time during his student life to support the education of his sisters. Mom’s hard work had won her a 50% scholarship but the remaining 50% of the fees plus living costs had to be paid in dollars. Mama and Thatha both had worked hard to ensure my Mom’s success in her career. It came as a slap across their face when she returned to India to announce her desire to marry an American. Mom was a pet of the house. The youngest and the most pampered child. She was never refused. Whatever she wanted was fulfilled at the earliest. This decision of hers initially caused fury but later ended as blissful marriage. Though it was all at the cost of losing her name in the family. Her sister’s, my perima was forbidden to acquaint with us by her husband, my peripa. All this sounded funny to me when I listened to it in Kinshasa. Now, it hurts. All my inquisitiveness became anxiety. If they felt it wrong to have me around, I shall not come in their way. Let every one have a happy Diwali.

I looked at myself in the mirror. The mirror image of myself blurred. My eyes were welling up with tears, I don’t know no, why.

Slowly, I broke into quiet sobs and didn’t realize a young manly voice behind me saying.
    “Hey............ who’s this in my old room.”

I sat up on the bed and looked at mirror. Crisp black trousers, neatly ironed but crinkled a little due to travel. I dared myself to turn back with my ugly crying face. I almost jumped as a fresh, handsome face appeared in the mirror.

“Huh, this mirror is too short isn’t it? .Need to bend down so much to look into it............... Err.... are you crying?”

[to be continued]

Post Thanks / Like
    good

actually i was expecting Sean in this episode, but anyway............interesting
    Anbe Sivam

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    interesting. Chevy, when will Sean be seen ?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast