Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KANYA KUMARI/CAPE COMORIN

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know anything about the history of nAnjil nAdu

I have heard that there is a place called adhangodu somewhere near nagercoil. Tolkappiyam payiram names adhangottu aasaan I think - all going from memory here.
    [i][b]I'm just like anyone. I cut and I bleed. And I embarass easily.

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

In a world filled with hate we must still dare to hope

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber bingleguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    enga namma Cape God Siva va kaanum Kanyakumari nna avaru dhaane ....

Cancer ????? enga yya irukka ?
    Click here to reach the Index page of http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...A-LEARNED-YES)... All Sagas could be accessed from this page...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One part in the first post needs clarification: the eastern gate closed following looting attempts of the diamonds of the deity's tiara. The story which enthralled me as a child about the eastern gate being kept closed is: the single diamond in the deity's nosestud sparkled so brightly that sailors of ships mistook the brilliance for a lighthouse & approached the shore which is a disastrous thing to do the shore being unfit for anchoring. so in order to avoid further disasters the eastern gate is being kept closed. Anyone who heard a similar story?
    As a child I was very amazed by the 3 colour sands my mother kept in 3 bottles which she said she had collected there. The white was a little bigger granules while the red & black where tiny shiny wonders. i have since visited the place a couple of times & my wonder is unmitigated.
    Another feature that impressed me in the Gandhi memorial there is a hole in the roof through which sunlight falls on the peedam on Gandhi memorial day.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber devapriya's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thiruvalluvar's Birthplace is Kanyakumari?

I am posting an Article downloaded long back claiming that Thiruvalluvar was born in Kanyakumari.

NAGERCOIL: The birthplace of saint Tiruvalluvar has always been a matter of debate for historians. Now, the Kanyakumari Historical and Cultural Research Centre has thrown new light on this subject.

The Centre claims that Tiruvalluvar hailed from Kanyakumari district. And as proof of this, it has identified Tiruvallurvar worship in Kani tribal belt on two hillocks, ‘Valluvan Kalportrai’ and ‘Valluvathi Kalportrai’ (the second named after Tiruvalluvar’s wife).

This fact was unearthed during a field research conducted by a team of researchers, headed by Dr Padmanabhan and comprising Dr P Srikumar and Dr Suresh, in Koovaikadu Kani belt area where Tiruvalluvar worship is practiced by 32-odd Kani families on the twin hillocks.

According to Kalian Kani, an aged tribal chief, Tiruvalluvar ruled over Valluvan country and the hillocks - Valluvan Kalportrai and Valluvathi Kalportrai - were once the favourite haunt of the saint-king Valluvar. (Historians say that Valluvar was once Valluvan and the change of name indicates the respect and honour given to the saint.)

Legend has it that the Kanis deified Valluvar and the two hillocks are considered holy to this day. A special ritual, ‘Valluvan Kodithi’ is still performed at ‘Valluvan Paatham’, ‘footprint’ of Saint Valluvar, for good rains.

The Kani tribals, beating the traditional chendai (drums), offer honey and Thinai flour to Saint Valluvar during prayers. Dr Suresh, who has done his research on Kani tribals, said, ‘‘Certain couplets in Thirukural have graphical description of Kanis’ hunting habits - the Kanis mimic the call of birds to lure their prey and shoot them down with arrows. And this has been narrated in couplet No 274 in Thirukural, he said.

Going by research done over a few decades in linguistics, oral traditions, calligraphy, social norms, customs and habits, the birthplace of saint Valluvar could be somewhere in Kanya Kumari district.

And researchers claim that the saint was born in Tiruvalluvanayanar of Tirunayanarkurichi near Muttom.

Some of the other evidences that attest to the claim are inscriptions of the ‘Valluvan country’ in Tirunanthikarai cave temple, and the recent finding of Valluvar worship in Valluvan portrai, All these three evidences are traced to Kalkulam taluk in Kanyakumari district.

Says Dr.Padmanabhan, ‘‘Historical and sociological evidences suggest that the Kalkulam part of Kanyakumari district was ‘Valluvanadu’ and the king who ruled over it was Valluvar’’

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Naanjil Nadu was a part of Thiruvangore Samasthaanam .when language wise states formed after independence ,Nanjil nadu was given to Kerala ..Then people from Nanjil nadu protested by foming a movement ..Marshal Nesamoni was the main leader .Finally Nanjil naadu was given to Tamil Nadu in 1952.
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

s pavalamani, i have heard these three stories.
    As the bus approaches the cape u can see tricolor in the ocean. one more thing-
    during my childhood, i have gathered a kind of sharp three inches long bits from the shore. that was used for writing on slates and we named them "kadal kuchchi." later only i realized that it was the spikes that is found on the surface of sea urchins!! When we went for specimen collection(my main subject was zoology) i came across such pieces on the sea shore-which reminded me of my childhood days.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, yes. kadal kuchi, sponges, kadal nurai & shells were our crazy collections whenever we visited seashores.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe,
    I was thinking about Nanjil Nadu's ancient history not last century's news

If all the people in Hollywood who have had plastic surgery went on vacation, there wouldn't be a person left in town.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the Internet..

Veera Kerala Varma (1150A.D.) called himself Nanjil Kuravan.

Vattakottai, a granite fort six kilometres north-east of Kanyakumari cape, forms the terminal of a line of ramparts known as the South Tranvancore lines built by Marthanda Varma to serve as defence for Nanjil Nadu

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MazhaiKuruvi
    Joe,
    I was thinking about Nanjil Nadu's ancient history not last century's news
    Kanyakumari district District consists of those parts known as locally Nanjil Nadu and Idai Nadu. The names of the villages of the district such as Azhagiapaandipuram, Bhoothapandy, Cholapuram and Kulasekaram reveal that these places were governed by several rulers at difficult periods of time.It is learnt that Nanjilnadu was under the rule of Pandiyas till the early 10th century and then under Cheras.

The Idai nadu including Kalkulam and Vilavancode taluks were under the rule of cheras. When the power of Chola declined due to the rise of Hoysalas and western Chalukyas, the venad (Travancore) Chief tains (the decondants of central Chera's family) took advantage of the situation and gradually established their hold on considerable areas in Nanjilnadu. Veera Kerala varma one such cheif tain and style himself as "Nanjil Kuravan". The annexation commenced by Veera Kerala Varma was to a large extent continued by his successors and completed by 1115 A.D.

For about four centuries, the Venad was ruled by powerful kings who were consistently making incursions into the pandian territories. As a result Vijayanagar kings are proceeded against venad. In 1609 Kanyakumari fell in to the mighty hands of Viswanatha Nayak of Madurai. Consequent on this, there was no series threat to Nanjilnadu, till 1634. During the regime of Ravi varma and Marthanda varma, Venad was disturbed due to the internal strife.

Sanda sahib of Arcot took advantage of this situation and attacked Nanjilnadu. Although Marthanda varma could succeed tje famous battle at Colachel defeating the Dutch armouries who helped the local faudatories, he could ot cope with the threat from Sanda sahib and made him to with draw the battle field. After Marthanda varma, Venad had very weak rulers. Therefore there was frequent interference by the British whose control was completely established over Venad and continued till 1947. From 1947 to 1956, it was under the personal rule of Maharaja of Travancore. During the period between 1956 - 1961, the administrative system has fallen in line with that of other districts in Tamil nadu.

http://www.nanjilonline.com/cityinfo/history.asp
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12