Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Indian baby names

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Indian baby names

I am interested in collecting and creating a web site for Indian baby names. I want to give importance to Tamil names. If you have any names, please share it here. I will collate them and publish.
    -Venkat

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber aravindhan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at the "South Indian Tamil name for a baby" thread. You'll find it here:

http://forumhub.lunarpages.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=36.

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nandri Aravindhan.

Actually I came across a nice site in Google. They seem to have a good collection of thooya Tamil names. You can check it at http://www.anbutamil.com . I am trying to get in touch with the operators of that site to see if I can collaborate with them.

Venkat

Post Thanks / Like
    >digr>
    Plum David Boon was a reference to GM dialaak in Jaihind. oru constAble David , Boon, Anthony, Richard ippidi pEr vechchukkAma...innum Govindsamy, Kuppusamy -nu village level-layE irukkEngaLE ya

Neither GM (nor me) mention it in the religious context. ippo dhaan Joe eppidi Bala madha saNdaiyai varAma irukkura maathiirukkalAmnu ezhudhinAr. solli mudikkalai, I am posting something seemingly contentious.

Seriously, the issue that GM (and I) are referring to is the urge to be urban. In my family some cousin of mine or the other has been having kids every year for the past few years now. They have stopped asking my suggestion because they are too "karnAtakam".

இதுல அமெரிக்க வாழ் இந்தொயர்களுக்கு பெயர் ஈரசைச்சீராக இருக்க வேண்டும் என்று நிபந்தனை வேறு.
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    PR, eerasaicheer-na enna?
    (digression-la digression - when i was in school, searchign for the lost house key outside the house and was accosted by a approx 3 years neighbouring kid "Anna, enna thedureenga". "saavi pa". The kid said "Saavina enna?" - unga nilamai ipdi thaan irukko ippa?

Post Thanks / Like
    BTW, Hub-la sandhu pondhu ellaam athupadi polirukku? Naanellam edho IR forum, Sivaji thread, appappo Naan Kadavul thread-oda sari.

Post Thanks / Like
    eerasai seer kinda means two syllables word.
    attempted humour - as it is term used exclusively in poetry

Fearing American mauling many Indians have opted for short quick names. enakku passport-la pEr ezudhura idathula PTO ellAm varum.

indu idukku sandhu bondhula suththuradhai vida enna vElai.

Quite seriously, some of the names have simply gone out of circulation in the last few years. I feel that sense of loss quite heavily.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber Shakthiprabha.'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    //Quite seriously, some of the names have simply gone out of circulation in the last few years. I feel that sense of loss quite heavily//

Examples plz.

_________

If this thread doesn't limit itself to tamizh names alone, I feel saddened when I find

Bhargavi (I simply AM HEAD OVER HEELS in love with this particular name 'Bhargavi' ) bhageerathi , Meenakshi , and Vishalam totally MISSING (those are just few I could recollect) The impact for bhargavi, meenakshi and vishalam is much more than others.

I love many of patti's gen or koLLu patti gen names. (It stops with female names, as I aint too fond of ramasamy or raman or even few tamilised version of any sanskrit MEN names )

Post Thanks / Like
    Prabhu Ram, the salient point is that even Ramesh, Suresh are not fashionable any more. That is what I meant by this too shall pass.
    Neenga solra maadhiri, adutha level of fashion can only be David, Boon, Bill, Clinton....

Ok ok ipdi two syllables-nu thamizhleye sonna nanna puriyaradhu

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakthiprabha
    //Quite seriously, some of the names have simply gone out of circulation in the last few years. I feel that sense of loss quite heavily//

Examples plz.
    I was going to ask elders like you

Some examples:

I don't think I have seen an ArAvamudhan or a Vatsala (two of my favourite names) for any kid.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast