Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Memories Of Greatest Cricketers - - #8 Shane Warne

Senior Member Senior Hubber Movie Cop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Few quick notes on Imran Khan!

* Imran was widely considered as the BEST allrounder of the "famous 4" of his era (i.e. Imran, Botham, Kapil, Hadlee)
    * During his times, Imran Khan was a huge "box office" draw not just in Pakistan but across the world alongside Viv Richards & Ian Botham!
    * Besides cricket, Imran Khan was a philanthropist who tried his hands in politics (albeit with little success)! But he was successful in fulfilling his dream of building a cancer hospital for the poor and needy!

I will write more about his cricketing stuff and my memories later!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Great posts folks. Enjoying reading them
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sivank
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    5) While searching for a pic there was one I saw where Imran was pulling up Saleem Yousuf for claiming a catch which was grounded

you should try for a picture of his bowling. The smooth run up with a beautiful hop and the side wards delivery is perfect
    Sure. But what I meant was if you knew about the incident of Imran pulling up Saleem Yousuf for claiming a grounded catch

Post Thanks / Like
    Imran in flow

[html:da9df5b487]

[/html:da9df5b487]

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    1987 England tour - Pak had played 5 tests and won 1-0. If my memory serves me right, it was the third test at Headingly (?) which produced the result. If I am not off the mark, it was an innings victory for Pakistan and of course the hero was Imran. He had a 10 wicket match haul (or was it 11?) and Pak triumphed in a low scoring match. I remember the weather God was not kind enough and 2 tests ended in draw because of rain. In the fifth test at Oval, Javed scored a century but it ended in a draw. Thus Imran's second wish of beating England in England also materialised.

Come October 1987, the Reliance World Cup started. India and Pakistan were in different groups and so India played all its matches in India and Pak in Pak. There were six matches for each team and India after losing the first match in Madras to Australia by 1 run came back strongly to win the next 4 matches. Pakistan on the other hand had won all the 5 matches in a row and the "invincible" tag attached to them looked real. Before the final match started, it became more or less sure that India , Pak, Aus and England would make it to the semis. The only issue was if India loses or wins by a lower margin, it had to travel to Pak to play the semifinal against Pak, which was dreaded by the team and the public. But in Nagpur against NewZealand, Sunny played his Lifetime one day innings (eventually his only one day century came in this match) and he was ably supported by Cheekaa. [To quote R. Mohan, who covered the match " The onslaught was started by the master and sustained by the pupil" , which came out on the 1st of Nov 1987 in "The Hindu", the match having been played on Oct 31st Saturday, the previous day. The match had assumed so much importance that another news that of MGR returning for the one final time from USA on the same day (Oct 31st) after his annual check up took a back seat in the minds of TN people]. This ensured that we would play our semi here in Bombay against England. Pakistan who had to play WI in the last match surprisingly lost it. For Viv Richards led WI, it was something to rest content with, they having been denied entry to the last 4 stage for the first time.

If my memory serves me right, the semifinal between Pak and Aus was on Nov 4th at Gadaffi stadium, Lahore. Aus batted first and had piled up a good score with Boon scoring a half century but Imran realising the danger came with a sudden burst that claimed 3 wickets but in the process did a cardinal mistake. When he came back for the second spell (having bowled 5 overs in the first spell), he came at 41st over and bowled the 43rd,45th,47th and 49th overs. Wasim (surprisingly off colour on that day) finished his quota by 48th over. Now the 50th over was a problem and Imran threw the ball to Salim Jaffer. Aussies who were on 249 at the end of 49th over made full use of this gift and scored 18 runs of it, taking the score to 267.

This 250 + score boosted their morale and Border put the pressure right back on Pak. The Pak batsmen till that time in that tournament had not experienced such a pressure and within no time Craig McDermott struck leaving Pak limping having lost 3 wickets for less than 40. Imran joined Javed and slowely they steadied the ship. They scored their runs in singles and twos and notched up a century stand and Imran himseld had scored a half century. When things started looking again bright for Pak, Border did a master stroke by bringing himself on. Imran looking at the climbing asking rate tried to take on Border only to hole it out. With the main block gone, Border attacked more vigoursouly. But the old wily fox, Javed was still there. Off day or on day, Javed was Javed and he nudged, pushed and kept going, though he lost one more partner. But when Bruce Reid breached his defence, the writing was on the wall. [My joy no bounds when I saw Javed falling. Though in hindsight, it looks childish, the feeling at that time was Pak should lose. திமிர் பிடிச்சவங்க]. As usual Pak tail enders hit some lusty blows but they could manage only 249 with one over remaining. The irony was the 50th over of Aus innings had produced 18 runs and at the end the victory margin was 18 runs with one over remaining.

Imran who had cherished the dream of lifting the World Cup after his two earlier wishes had come true, stood shattered and at 34 it seemed, it was the end of the road for him. But how we were proved wrong !

Let me come back.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Great post Mr.MuraLi. Felt like I was following the Aus-Pak match real time.

Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas
    1987 England tour - Pak had played 5 tests and won 1-0. If my memory serves me right, it was the third test at Headingly (?) which produced the result. If I am not off the mark, it was an innings victory for Pakistan and of course the hero was Imran. He had a 10 wicket match haul (or was it 11?) and Pak triumphed in a low scoring match.
    As you were unsure I looked up cricinfo. The match was indeed at Headingley, Leeds. 10 wickets for Imran and 5 for Wasim.

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Prabhu and Thanks Senthil.

After the World Cup, England started its tour of Pakistan but Imran was not playing. Javed led the team. England who swept the one day series 3- 0, lost the Test series 0-1. It is more remembered for the Mike Gatting - Shakkoor Rana spat in the second test at Faislabad.

Came the West Indies tour of 1988. Imran who was out with an injury had come back and led the side. WI after the Indian tour of 1987- 88 had just come back with the series having ended in a tie (1-1). With Gavaskar retired and Kapil stripped of the captaincy, it was Dilip Vengsarkar who led India. But due to a disiplinary action, he had sit out the last test at Madras and Ravi Sastri captained the team. Narendra Hirwani rewrote history books with a haul of 16 wickets on his debut (equalling Bob Massie of Australia who did the same against England in 1971-72) and series was levelled.

Viv and his team smarting under this defeat came back roaring at the Pak and they black washed the Pak 5-0 in the one day series. The interesting point was Viv was not available for most of the one dayers. But when Test series started, Pak team or for that matter Imran spat fire. With Viv out of the first test at Georgetown, Pak beat WI and Imran had a 10 wicket haul. With Javed scoring a century, Pak saw two of its top players firing at he same time, which helped them.

Richards was back for the second but Imran again was fire and claimed almost a 10 wicket haul and again Javed scoored a century(I was fuming that this guy is going on scoring centuries and coming at WI against Marshall and Patterson, it was special) But WI managed to draw. I think this was at Port Of Spain.

Third test (Bridgetown?) had become a prestige issue for WI. They have never lost a series for the past 10 years at home preceding that and so Viv and his team won but they struggled before reaching there. When it mattered most Imran couldn't recreate the magic and WI scrapped through and kept their home record intact. Neverthless Imran ended up with 23 wickets, the highest on either side.

From a spectator point of view, it was one of the best competitive series played. Though Imran the captain couldn't fulfil his wish, Imran the bowler delivered.

Regards

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber sivank's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was mentioning that I will try to cover the 1978 Tour to Pakistan by India which happened after a gap of 18 long years. As I heard( I was 12 ) from my friends and neighbours who were all elder to me and cricket fanatics India was hoping to meet a Pakistani Team minus the WSC players. But unfortunately for India the Pakistan Board suddenly solved their problems with their WSC stars and presto the Team against India was again led by Mushtaq Muhammed with his strike bowlers Imran and Sarfaraz. The team also consisted Zaheer Abbas, Javed, Asif Iqbal who was burning to play against India where he was born and grew up.( Asif was from Hyderabad and studied in Osmania University). Spin dept. was in the hands of MM and Iqbal Qasim.

India came to Pakistan with its famous spin trio (venkat was not selected for the Test matches, oh god we were furious at Bedi and BCCI which was actually a blessing in disguise as it was prooved later) and its unchanged batting order for the last couple of years and 2 fast bowlers. A very young lad from Haryana who was 19 was selected to play his debut. The Amarnath brothers were there to give boost in the middle order along with Vishy and Vengsarkar.

The hype was very high about this match. It was the first match I saw live in DD. I think we didnīt go to school for couple of days. The streets were empty during the match.

The first test match took place between the 16th and 21st of oct. 1978. Bedi lost the toss and MM had no qualms in batting. The pitch was slow and apt for batting. Kapil opened the bowling with M. Amarnath. Pak lost 3 wickets for 110 and then the roasting started. Zaheer and Javed were merciless. They added about 250 runs before a careless shot of Zaheer was caught for 176 by Vishy of Prasanna. On the other end Javed was very cautious but reached his 50, 100 and 150 by hitting enormous sixes. Javed carried his bat with a score of 154 n.o. Imran joined the circus and hit a whirlwind 32 before he was out. Altogether they made our famous spinners looking very old and declared the innings for 503 for 9 at the stroke of tea on the 2nd day.

We were sitting at house was completely frustated by the pakistani batting. As the Indian innings started with Gavaskar and chauhan we were astonished to see the pace Imran produced in that dust bowl. But Imran was not accurate since he tried for raw pace. The Indian openers were not bothered and at the end of the day they were 64-0. We were thinking of a century from sunny the next day

Post Thanks / Like
    India actually answered the Pakistani innings with good knocks from Gavaskar, Vishy, Vengsarkar with Vishy top scoring with 145. Sunny missed his ton by 11 runs and vengsarkar by 17 runs. Good knocks by chauhan and S.Amarnath brought the Indian total to 462.

Since the match was edging towards draw it was sheer batting practice for Zaheer who was again merciless against the spinners. He was well poised for a second century of the Test as he was removed for 96 by Gavaskar. Yes, Gavaskarīs only wicket was of Zaheer Abbas who was 4 runs short of his second century. The test ended in a drab draw. Imran couldnīt make much impression is this match as he tried too much for pace. His hurricane knock of 32 should have warned Bedi, as he realised it later at the 3 rd Test.

The only highlight of Indian innings was the bowling of kapil who really bowled well. Ghavri the other fast bowler didnīt get a chance to play. By scoring 145 in the first innings vishy became the first Indian to score centuries against all Test playing countires of that time.

The negative imprint was the verbal clash Gavaskar had with umpire Shakoor Rana regarding M.Amarnath walking in the pitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    The second Test match in Lahore was between Oct.27 and 1st Nov. After drawing the first Test Indians were confident that they carried the same team as they had for Faisalabad. Pak. made 2 changes Mudassar Nazar came in for Sadiq muhammed, Saleem Altaf the veteran seam bowler came in for the young sikandher Bakt. MM won the toss and opted for fielding. Where as Faisalabad was a dry dust bowl Lahore was a grassy pitch.

If Imran was fast in Faisalabad here was absolute unplayable. Bari was standing a good distance away from the stumps which was not normal in Sub continent. Even then he had to gather balls from Imran in front of his face as they were still climbing. Altaf who opened the bowling with Imran got rid of sunny as he went fishing out side the off stump. Imran and Sarfaraz were very severe to the Indian batsmen. Only Vengsarkar managed a score of 76 and the next highest was 20 by vishy and mohinder. Mohinder had to leave the field after being hit by an Imran bouncer. It was so sickening to see mohinder drooling after being hit. As the wickets were falling regularly mohinder came again and this time fell over the stumps as he tried to hit a bouncer from sarfaraz. kirmani helped a bit and with 28 runs in extra India made a total of 199. At the end of the dayīs play pak were 28 for 1 after losing mudassar to kapil. Incidentally Sunny was the openeing partner of Kapil.

Wasim Bari who came as Nightwatchman and Majid made merry of Indian bowlers soon Zaheer joined the band wagon and after that it was only zaheer. All the others were silent spectators. Mushtaq dec. the pak innings at 539 for 6 with Zaheer 235 n.o. at the stroke of tea on the 3rd day with a lead of 340.

We couldnīt believe our eyes as we saw sunny and chetan playing such strokes that too at the end of the dayīs play. With in no time India were 92 - 0 with sunny at 50 and chetan at 40. sunny cut, drove hooked Imran and sarfaraz as if they were slow medium bowlers. The fourth day was no different the opening pair went to build the then record opening stand of 192 as Javed was given the ball by mushtaq. He immediately got chetan out edging to Bari(WK) for 93. Chetan was not happy about the decision indicating that the ball brushed the pads. He had to go. The very next over Mushtaq got sunny out for 97 caught by sarfaraz at forward short leg. Again sunny was unhappy at the decision indicating that it was not from the bat. But he too had to go. Suddenly from 192 - 0 it is 202 -2. Surinder and Vishy started to build the innings slowly but steadily. At the end of dayīs play India were a healthy 307 -3 after losing a dashing surinder for 60.

We were shocked about the dismissals of the opening pair. we couldnīt beleive that the umpires have decided like this. Sunny who had a bout with umpire Rana at the First Test was really a victim. Action replays showed very clearly that it was the pads at both case not the bat. Clearly wrong calls. Still vishy is at crease and middling the ball clearly. We were certain India would post a good total and draw this game as well. How wrong we were.

After a partnership of 70 runs Imran broke Kapils defence who went for 43 and again it was vishy and vengsarkar who was very slow in building the innings saw through lunch. The match was moving towards draw. Just an hour after the lunch, MM brought Mudassar into attack. Mudassar bowled Vishy for 83 and had veng. caught for 17. After that it was pretty down hill with a sick mohinder who was peppered with bouncers who mercifully got out for 7. Solely kirmani who sheltered the spinners made 39 n.o to give a lead of 126 leaving pak to score 127 in about 90 minutes.

The match which was supposed to be a draw was won by pakistan by losing 2 wickets.

We were shell shocked. We couldnīt believe that India lost. The test was ugly. MM was having trouble in containing Javed and Sarfaraz. The way how they menacingly ran towards umpire for the verdict as chetan and sunny were judjed out. To be fair Imran even though he bowled bouncers he never bowled bumpers as Sarfaraz did. Neither he had a grin as Mohinder was struck on the head. Infact it was Imran who was among the first who went to Mohinder who went down to the ground.

niraive kaanum manam vendum
    iraivaa nee adhai thara vendum

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast