Page 64 of 150 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114 ... LastLast

Thread: Nadigar Thilagam Sivaji Ganesan - Part 5

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, green of me to judge and be outraged. He was everybody's
    I still make this mistake, sometimes in this very thread...thanks for reminding!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber jaiganes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Prabhu Ram
    2001 July returning home from a college culturals at REC Trichy (IIRC). Had made decent money in three days and spent - what then seemed- atrocious amounts before heading Chennaiward. I had the weekend to breathe before college again.Was having the last dregs of the delusion that I could go about being someplace new and being someone else every now and then and get paid for doing things I enjoy.

A friend of mine who had the misfortune of having the seat next to me on the bus bore through my sophomoric ruminations on how the word 'actor' is an interesting paradox. "They don't have to act. They have to just be. They have to 'be' in different situations, climes, lives. They have to be what they are not. They don't ever have to 'do'. The rest of us have to do. We have to 'act', to manifest ourselves through actions and submit sufficient apology for our existence." He was the mimer of our dumb-charade tag team. He felt I was going off an a tangent clinging on to a feeble line of thought. Acting was doing, he must have felt. Surely no joke to be convincing in an alternative existence.

"Sivaji passed away" is how my mother welcomed me as I entered home after being away for 3 days. No mobiles back then for her to be worried about not knowing my exact coordinates every few hours. But I am reasonably sure if we had it, she'd have called up to convey the news. Never been much fans of Sivaji at home. My parents not much into movies and me not much into old movies then. But this was still news that we all felt important.

Just to get away from Sun TV's funeral marketing I fished out the old Muthal mariyAthai tape to have lunch over it. General chit-chat over good actor stuck in bad movies in his late years proceeded. By the time we moved into rasam we were roundly unanimously dissing films in general.

This 'good actor' bit was also received wisdom for me. His new films I had seen in theatre/tv were ordinary. Perhaps I should look up the old films to know what had now gone missing. Not to be judged by those who professed the loss loudly on TV today. Whatever little appreciation that I developed was much later and much thanks to this thread.

The next evening though, like every self respecting elitist I promptly settled on watching the weekend's latest release Tamil film with the extended family.The title card had a Sivaji homage. That was quick ! The movie was terrible. Perhaps the last ill-fitting movie he was a part of.

Well, green of me to judge and be outraged. He was everybody's.
    As usual u are too much
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rangan_08's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Humble Homage to the Immortal Nadigar Thilagam.

You made us laugh, you made us cry, you made us forget our worries & sorrows. A perfect entertainer & a great human being.

I have 2 requests to all NT fans :

1. Pls make all efforts to pass on the the greatness of our legend to the next generation. I know very well that most of you are already doing this and this thread itself is a great example for that.

2. We should somehow try to stop the spoof's on NT made in films. Vivek is the one who is doing this time and again. First it was Mudhal mariyadhai & now Pudhiya paravai. Most of the hubber's have voiced their anguish about this many times. It's a shame on tamil film industry.

It doesn't require a " Padmashree" like Vivek to perform such third rated acts. TFI should seriously condemn such nonsense.
    Perhaps life is just that. A Dream and a Fear. -- Joseph Conrad

Post Thanks / Like
    rangan, as Prabhu Ram's case outlines here, fair play if this sort of spoofing gets a few of the next generation to actually catch up on NT movies, and some among them realise his greatness. Now, you can tell me that for every Prabhu Ram, there will a hundred ignorant fools. But then, that one Prabhu Ram is what we want, right?

Long and short, the fact that a movie made 40-45 years ago is beign spoofed shows its impact, and if it opens the eyes of a 15-20 year old guy to that movie, and that guy is sensible, you get a new fan for NT!
    No need to fret!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    rangan, as Prabhu Ram's case outlines here, fair play if this sort of spoofing gets a few of the next generation to actually catch up on NT movies, and some among them realise his greatness. Now, you can tell me that for every Prabhu Ram, there will a hundred ignorant fools. But then, that one Prabhu Ram is what we want, right?

Long and short, the fact that a movie made 40-45 years ago is beign spoofed shows its impact, and if it opens the eyes of a 15-20 year old guy to that movie, and that guy is sensible, you get a new fan for NT!
    No need to fret!
    True. Imitation is the best form of flattery. However it also shows that sarakku has gone dry for the padma shrees.
    Apparently, a democracy is a place where numerous elections are held at great cost without issues and with interchangeable candidates.
    - Gore Vidal

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, and who cares about the Viveks, Jai? Let them do what they have to survive - talentless men have to imitate for a living - ask me, I know

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    Oh, and who cares about the Viveks, Jai? Let them do what they have to survive - talentless men have to imitate for a living - ask me, I know
    we are all in the same boat sir!! count me in..
    - Gore Vidal

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    நடிகர் திலகத்திற்கு நினைவஞ்சலி செலுத்தும் விதமாக ஒய்.ஜி.மகேந்திரா அவர்கள் வியட்நாம் வீடு நாடகத்தை இன்று வாணி மகால் அரங்கில் நடத்தினார். பிரிஸ்டிஜ் பத்மநாபன் பாத்திரத்தை அதன் கெளரவம் கெடாமல் செய்தார். நாடகம் முடிந்ததும் ஒரு விழா நடைபெற்றது.

ராதாரவி, எம்.என்.ராஜம், ராம்குமார் பேசினார்கள். இடையே ஏற்புரை போல் ஒய்.ஜி.எம் பேசினார். இறுதியில் வைரமுத்து பேசினார். [விழா நிகழ்வுகளை விரிவாக பிறகு எழுதுகிறேன்].

நமது ஹப்பர் திரு.ராகவேந்தர், நடிகர்திலகம். காம் இணைய தளத்தின் சார்பாக மகேந்திரா அவர்களுக்கு "சிவாஜி சேவா ரத்னா" என்ற விருதை வழங்கினார். நிறைய பொது மக்களும் ரசிகர்களும் கலந்து கொண்ட நிகழ்ச்சி அனைவருக்கும் மன நிறைவை தந்தது.

அன்புடன்

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jai,

A superb write up on NT. Just made me envy about the way it has been written. Trust you write more such articles.

Prabhu once had written in this pages that we need to patent the statement Great write up while expressing his views about Saradhaa's post. I always used to think that it suits Prabhu more than anybody else. More than the style, the truth in it made me like it.

Rakesh had also dished out a good piece in his blog and I am doubly happy that the name NT evokes such strong passionate write ups and we are richer by the dozen.

Plum, as per your wish let me try to do something.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas
    Jai,

A superb write up on NT. Just made me envy about the way it has been written. Trust you write more such articles.

Prabhu once had written in this pages that we need to patent the statement Great write up while expressing his views about Saradhaa's post. I always used to think that it suits Prabhu more than anybody else. More than the style, the truth in it made me like it.

Rakesh had also dished out a good piece in his blog and I am doubly happy that the name NT evokes such strong passionate write ups and we are richer by the dozen.

Plum, as per your wish let me try to do something.

Regards
    Whatever you guys have been discussing here is what prompted me to expedite the article. Any event associated with NT should be a pan indian one according to me - for his acting was absolutely a universal delight.
    Much of the quality of the article is directly attributable to folks here and any mistakes you find in that one are mine and mine alone.
    - Gore Vidal