Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what's the appeal of going abroad/desi identity crisis

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

what's the appeal of going abroad/desi identity crisis

ive lived outside india practically my whole life, so i really cant say much. but what is the reason ppl want to get out of india. why is it regarded as such a status symbol? true my parents left india, but that was because of family reasons, which i cannot divulge further. that was our reason.
    furthermore, why do desis, living in india try to act as if theyve not lived there or try to disengage themselves from their desiness.
    take for example this instance:
    my cousin went to this girl's marriage. there she wa sputting on this fake american accent, while she had been in india all her life. when my cousin asked how come she had an american accent, she was all offended and said 'typical madras attitude. i hate madras. i just hate it'(her lovely personality really seems to have shone through). my cousin was like no, its not that bad. she said she was dying to get out of india, after all, whi'c stay there.
    why do desis have this self loathing? and then look down upon desis who have lived abroad most their lives. apparently living abroad most your life makes you less of an indian(even though we might know more about our culture,religion etc etc than those who look down upon us), but at the same time desis are dying to get out of india.
    this sounds very strange and is very paradoxical to me. please share your views
    the truth is one, the wise call it by many names
    anuma loves her kanna. missing my sweetie so much
    http://img.makeupalley.com/0/0/8/5/263172.jpeg<--- im biased, but my lil cairn terrier is the CUTEST!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very kind of you to brand us as 'Desis'.No different from the North Indian attitude of calling us all 'Madrasis.

You do not know the reasons for people wanting to get out of this country because you lived almost all your life abroad.They are many:Poverty,adventurism,ambition all drive us out of our place.

If you ever have the chance to visit this country on a long vacation,I would suggest that you travel a bit.This country has a strange tale to tell you.One of ancient glory,great potential and still miserable life.Some want to escape it,some to explore new frontiers.

Still we know that life will change for the good in this country.Many of us shall not see that day,but our little children will take our dreams to greater heights .THE LITTLE BUDS SHALL BLOSSOM AND TOMORROW SHALL BE BRIGHTER THAN YESTERDAY.FROM THEM WILL EMERGE A BETTER WISER INDIA and our great motherland will reach the zenith of her glory.Then her ungrateful sons and daughters will not address us with contempt .

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on, everybody! Give a standing ovation to blahblah!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah
    THE LITTLE BUDS SHALL BLOSSOM AND TOMORROW SHALL BE BRIGHTER THAN YESTERDAY.FROM THEM WILL EMERGE A BETTER WISER INDIA and our great motherland will reach the zenith of her glory.Then her ungrateful sons and daughters will not address us with contempt .
    I don't think India will ever blossom, the main reason is: Casteism and the Religion that fosters and cultivates it. There are no uprising against all this and the very worst thing is that people accept it as their fate.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Hope springs eternal in human breast"
    Even the longest journey starts with one step.
    Great visionaries like Bharathiar & Abdul Kalam have their dreams realised. The world thrives on the dreams of such altruistic great personalities.
    More things can be wrought if only the pessimists will keep their big mouths shut. There is a proverb in Tamil:"uthavi seyyaavittaalum upaththiravam seyyaamal iruppathu nallathu" = if you cant be helpful it is better if you are not a hindrance at least.
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pavalamani pragasam
    More things can be wrought if only the pessimists will keep their big mouths shut. There is a proverb in Tamil:"uthavi seyyaavittaalum upaththiravam seyyaamal iruppathu nallathu" = if you cant be helpful it is better if you are not a hindrance at least.
    But only hoping and hoping tells me of the parrot waiting for the cotton to ripe!

Your proverb reminds me in Englisch of something similar: If you don't do good then avoid doing bad.

Senior Member Regular Hubber aravindhan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think India will ever blossom, the main reason is: Casteism and the Religion that fosters and cultivates it. There are no uprising against all this and the very worst thing is that people accept it as their fate.
    I wouldn't be so pessimistic, BB-vaal. We tend to forget that as little as sixty years ago in Tamilagam, a periyavar of a lower caste would be forced to bow his head and lower his eyes when speaking to a ilaiyan of a high caste. We've come a long way since then, and things are getting better. You can't change a system that's lasted centuries overnight, but we're headed in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    well said, aravindhan. Perfectly correct. That is truly sensible attitude to be taken by us all

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My earlier post in this thread came out from a heart burdened to speak out words of hope and faith.It is true that many in India today prefer life abroad as the opportunities are many out there.With a large population and little space for everyone ,it is only normal.

It is only recently that the world has started taking us seriously.Azim Premji and Narayanamurthy have shown us that we can have better jobs and lifestyle here itself .The scene is changing rapidly.The emergence of India as an economic power may come as soon as a decade or two .As the poverty decreases and people get better education,the casteism and communalism will disappear to a great extend.You should keep in mind that ethnic or religious divisions among people exist in many countries.

India has a great potential to become a pluralistic, tolerant economic power.It will happen sooner than later.I put my hope in our children the way our forefathers put it in us.They are our hope and all we have.That's why my heart leaps with joy when I see a primary school with all smiling little faces around .They are our future and will create a future for themselves too with out having to depend on foreigners for their food.As I repeat,many of us shall perish before the dawn breaks,BUT I KNOW,YES I KNOW,IT WILL COME FOR SURE.And mother India will face the new world with dignity.
    There was a slogan which we used to raise when I was a wreckless lad with more blood in my veins than I could hold .Though I could not understand the real meaning of it at that time it goes like this:

"Union Jackinal kazhuvetta sodare,
    Ningalil pookkatha mohangal pookkuvan
    Ningade pinmurappadayaniyunditha",roughly translated as

"Oh Comrades who were hanged by the Union Jack,
    To fulfill the dreams that you couldn't,
    Here we come,your children".

We must accept finite disappointment,but we should never lose eternal hope-Martin Luther King.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said, again,blahblah

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast