• All the above

9 31.03%
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Poet Laureate Kannadasan

Junior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mahendra raj View Post
    PADITHAAL MATTUM POTHUMA

Just as I was reeling with the pleasant after effects of 'Raktha Thilagam' another blockbuster which was screened by Star Vijay TV last night in the Astro satellite station has prompted me to write another nostalgic piece. 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' was the memory jogger. What a classic!

First the trivia. I remember vividly when it was playing to full house in the Coliseum cinema (it is still in service) in Kuala Lumpur way back in 1962 the film's distributors gave away match boxes as door gifts to patrons. What is so unique about that you may ask. The match boxes had ' Padithaal Mattum Pothumaa' publicity labels affixed instead of the manufacturer's brand label! To my memory there had been no such a publicity campaign for any films, Hollywood included. I mean the novelty in advertising a film in safety matchboxes and converting it to door gifts to patrons and a Tamil film at that. Anyway, I presume it must have been handed out as souvenirs since why should any patron need such an enticement wherein fact he or she is already in the theatre to see it.

And here comes the mother of the story.

The film distributors also held a contest asking patrons to identify whether it was Shivaji or Savithri who caused the death of Balaji. An announcement was made in the Tamil media that the contest has been closed and the panel of judges will choose the winners shortly. A pleasant surprise awaited patrons who had gathered to watch the evening show and also to hear out the names of the contest winners. The chief guest was none other than Shivaji Ganesan himself!

After appearing on stage and presenting he gave a short impromptu speech. News of his presence spread like wild fire and soon the whole area was filled to brim requiring the urgent presence of police personnel for crowd control. It was a surprise to see Chinese, Malay, North Indians and Eurasians in large numbers besides the massive Tamil crowd. (The late Raj Kapoor also made a scheduled visit to this theatre in 1972 when his film 'Mera Naam Joker' played but the crowd present was just a fraction of Shivaji's although the former was internationally popular).

Actually Shivaji was en route to the US from the Cairo film festival where he made history by being the first Afro Asian award winner for 'Veerapaandiya Kattabomman'. While he was in Kuala Lumpur he had an audience with the then Prime Minister and other dignitaries. One sad incident marred his otherwise pleasant maiden trip to the then Malaya. A Malaysian of Sri Lankan Tamil descent died in a mishap while on his way to the Kuala Lumpur International airport based in Sungei Besi then to be part of the anxious crowd to receive Shivaji. It was raining heavily which caused the electric pole to collapse on the road when this unfortunate chap became victim to the live wires.

When this unforeseen mishap was conveyed to Shivaji upon his arrival he immediately condoled and consoled the grieving family members although not in person. This news was splashed in all the main stream papers the following day. During his short stay in Kuala Lumpur he was obviously the talk of the town.

When he went down south to Singapore it was reported in the press that he will be committing to act in a local Malay film with the reigning heroine at that time, Maria Menado. I still remember vividly the make-up artiste doing the touch-up on Shivaji's face who was in a full Malay traditional bridegroom costume with Maria Menado by his side. That photograph which was published in the media was the talk of Singapore. Prior to this Shammi Kapoor donned the Malay attire for the Hindi movie 'Singapore' which had Padmini as the heroine and shot extensively in Singapore. But, thereafter no news were forthcoming and it was assumed that the project has been dropped.

And now back to 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma'.

Barring 'Pathi Bhakti' and 'Bandha Paasam' all films of Bhimsing starting with the sentimental 'Pa' series had Kaviarasu Kannadhasan as the lyricist and of course, Viswanathan Ramamurthy for the music score, not forgetting the protagonist, Shivaji Ganesan. In my opinion, 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' was the best in the series. Although it was the lesser amongst the others like 'Paalum Pazhamum' and 'Paava Mannippu' which became colossal success nevertheless My personal vote will go to 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' for its superb production and a heavily-studded star cast who all played out their roles diligently.

Fresh from leaving the DMK which he co-founded Kannadhasan's heart was still with its charismatic leader, Annadurai. It was an open secret that Karunanidhi and his clique were the prime reason for him to abruptly to leave the party. He was annoyed and dismayed the way he was treated in the party's fold. He was even more pissed off with the hypocrisy of the party's commanders. 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' provided the impetus for him to vent his frustrations.

The title song 'Oho oho Manithargalae' was a direct criticism aimed at DMK leaders and 'Annan Kaatiye Vazhiamma' was a subtle reference to Annadurai. In both these hit songs Shivaji excelled himself. If he had had horseback songs prior to this they were in period films. How refreshing to see him riding a horse in a social film!
    Something is wrong with this post as it is incomplete although I had written lengthily. Will try and recollect what I wrote and post later. Dear Administrator, anyway for retrieving the actual text? If it is not possible I will continue tomorrow. Thanks,
    Mahendra Raj

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Moderator Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dear Mr. Mahendra Raj,

We and that includes myself and fellow Sivaji fans, were a bit nonplussed or should I say a bit put off by your not so positive comments on Sivaji in the recent past and were wondering what made you to write such things. That prompted some of our friends to protest vehemently and well that was a bit unpleasant.

But now with two stellar posts in this section you have made amends and let me tell you that both the write ups are excellent. When a write up is interspersed with real time happenings it becomes more interesting to read and your narration of Nadigar Thilagam's visit to Kuala Lumpur with all minute details adds special flavour. What adds spice is, this particular visit to Malaysia by Sivaji had not been reported widely in the media at that point of time, it seems.

Just one nit picking. He was not en route to Cairo for the Asia African Film Festival. That was in 1960. Whereas Padithal Mattum Pothumaa was released on 14th April 1962. Sivaji on special invitation from the US Government had left for a tour of US in March 1962 and probably when he was returning must have visited Kuala Lumpur.

Was just thinking probably that you are not aware of the main thread dedicated to Nadigar Thilagam in our Forum, where we discuss A-Z of his Films. Though some of our friends hinted to you regarding the main thread, probably you didn't notice. It is there in the Tamil Films Section and the link is http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...anesan-Part-11. Please visit there for further discussions.

Thanks once again!

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Padithaal Mattum Pothumaa

Quote Originally Posted by Murali Srinivas View Post
    Dear Mr. Mahendra Raj,

We and that includes myself and fellow Sivaji fans, were a bit nonplussed or should I say a bit put off by your not so positive comments on Sivaji in the recent past and were wondering what made you to write such things. That prompted some of our friends to protest vehemently and well that was a bit unpleasant.

But now with two stellar posts in this section you have made amends and let me tell you that both the write ups are excellent. When a write up is interspersed with real time happenings it becomes more interesting to read and your narration of Nadigar Thilagam's visit to Kuala Lumpur with all minute details adds special flavour. What adds spice is, this particular visit to Malaysia by Sivaji had not been reported widely in the media at that point of time, it seems.

Just one nit picking. He was not en route to Cairo for the Asia African Film Festival. That was in 1960. Whereas Padithal Mattum Pothumaa was released on 14th April 1962. Sivaji on special invitation from the US Government had left for a tour of US in March 1962 and probably when he was returning must have visited Kuala Lumpur.

Was just thinking probably that you are not aware of the main thread dedicated to Nadigar Thilagam in our Forum, where we discuss A-Z of his Films. Though some of our friends hinted to you regarding the main thread, probably you didn't notice. It is there in the Tamil Films Section and the link is http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...anesan-Part-11. Please visit there for further discussions.

Thanks once again!

Regards
    Thanks Murali! Actually I wrote a lengthy piece on 'Padithaal Mattum Pothmaa" but what appeared in print was incomplete. Later the whole site could not be accessed until just a few moments ago. Probably some technical problems in the server. I will try to recollect and rewrite the lost text.

Yes, Muraly, I got the years mixed-up. In the bygone era those flying from India to the US will make a stop-over in Malaya (later Malaysia) for re-fueling or changing of planes unlike the present times. Malaysians and Singaporeans were lucky to spot Indian celebrities on transit here. But in Shinaji's case he was on a scheduled visit here en route to the US on an official cultural trip in 1962. It had nothing to do with the Afro-Asian film fest award.

In the meantime, I must reiterate that I am non-partisan when it comes to the two legends. How can I be prejudiced when most of life's values and morality were taught by these two giants along with Kaviarasu Kannadhasan? Most of us grew up with these moral teachers who did a better job than our own parents. Whatever I wrote earlier was my candid comments and it was never my intention to slight Shivaji. I have also made similar comments on MGR and was not countered. I suppose the thread on Shivaji is zealously guarded which was why I was on the receiving end.

Anyway, I am truly impressed by the way the two threads have provided various information across-the-board on the two legends respectively. The filmographies on both with technical, video and audio inputs are worthy of mention. My heartfelt thanks and gratitude to all those hubbers who are really taking efforts to organize it. Keep it up.

Since Kaviarasu Kannadhasan is my genre I would prefer to post my comments here as it is neutral and sincerely I could ill-afford another round of allegations by Shivaji's die-hard fans. Thanks for pointing out the thread, Murali, anyway.
    Last edited by mahendra raj; 11th July 2013 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Left out one paragraph.
    Mahendra Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mahendra raj View Post
    Something is wrong with this post as it is incomplete although I had written lengthily. Will try and recollect what I wrote and post later. Dear Administrator, anyway for retrieving the actual text? If it is not possible I will continue tomorrow. Thanks,
    PADITHAAL MATTUM POTHUMAA -cont.

I still wonder how Shivaji could have concentrated on the lipping of lyrics while simultaneously handling the horse on a lonely jungle path. There was just no flaw and there were less studio back projection. If not for the credit titles appearing during the duration of the song it would have showed the seriousness of this philosophical song.

If at all there is an actor who is capable of exhibiting all his latent talents in just one song it is Shivaji and no one else. Man, how he exhibited all the known human emotions in the song 'Nan Kavinganum Illai'. Incredible!

The other songs viz. 'Pen Ondru Kandeyn' and 'Thannilavu Thenirrakka' (by Mayavanathan) are also popular even to this day but I just could not understand how the song 'Kaalam Seytha Komaalithanathaal' went unnoticed. It had beautiful and meaningful philosophy but some how it never became popular. Probably because it was lipped by lesser known comedians like AVeerappan and Sadhan.

If Kaviarasu Kannadhasan used 'Oho Oho Manithargalae' and 'Annan Kaatiye Vazhiamma' to expose the hypocrisy of the DMK leaders he used 'Nallavan Enakku Naney Nallavan' to highlight his own charisma. And the way Shivaji presented this fast-paced jovially philosophical song on screen with Balaji as his sidekick was truly entertaining. One has to just imagine Kannadhasan in the place of Shivaji and to a certain extent, Balaji mocking the DMK leaders and he or she can get the picture.

Bhimsing must have been experimenting with Shivaji's hairdo from 'Bhaga Pirivinai' and 'Paalum Pazhamum' days I suppose. That may explain why Shivaji was with a partly-henna colored curly tuft which was unheard of those days. Only in recent years did the henna colour became a fashion statement of sorts with the new generation. But that wig stood Shivaji out as the fearless hunter complemented with his bulging belly and stylish walk. My personal opinion is that Shivaji's unique mannerism and styles began from "Padithaal Mattum Pothumaa' if one chooses to ignore carefree prince character in 'Utthamai Putthiran' (1958). Of course he did exhibit styles in earlier,films like 'Andha Naal", 'Pennin Perumai' etc. but they were negative characters which was why people didn't take it seriously.

My humble opinion is that Shivaji was at his best in black & white films and when he had the signature belly which was the butt of jokes once upon a time. Most of his classics were when he had the bulge. And he did battle with the bulge from 'Thangai' (1966) onwards.

Seeing 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma' was like seeing a present day tv mega serial. It had all the ingredients of a prolonged melodrama but compacted into a three-hour movie. The superb acting by Savithri and Balaji and the supporting cast comprising SV Ranga Rao, SV Sahashranamam, MR Radha, PKannambal, MV Rajamma, Raja Sulochana and Muthuraman were worthy of mention. For comedy AKarunanidhi and Manorama fit the bill which was unrelated to the main storyline. Barring this misfit, 'Padithaal Mattum Pothuma" is one of the best of Bhimsing-Shivaji-Kannadhasan-Viswanathan Ramamurthy combo. Oh! How I miss this immortal combination.

By the way, a cursory head count of the star and crew cast if 'Padithaal Mattum Pothumaa' revealed one sad fact. Except for MSViswanathan and Manorama the rest are no more around.
    Mahendra Raj

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw the re-run of 'Kungumam' (1963) and was quite awed by it. The songs by Kaviarasu Kannadhasan and Panju Arunachalam are down right hits. A mention must be made of the song 'Chinnanjiriya Vanna Paravai'. This was the second song o Panju Arunachalam after 'Manamagale manamagalae vaa vaa' (Saratha 1962). The way Shivaji articulates himself through body language and the perfectly mimed lyrics with the raagas was a sight to behold. It was distinct from other such stage-based songs as he appeared quite comfortable, cool and relaxed throughout the song but without losing his signature gestures. TM Soundrarajan and SJanaki created a masterpiece out of this song. Possibly it was SJanaki's second raaga based innings after 'Singaraaravelanae Deva' (Konjum Salangai 1962).

A mention must be made here about the popularity of the above song in the All India Radio South East Asia Broadcast Section. It was continually the top charter for nearly an year as was evident by the numerous requests for this song. Being an extended play song (about 6 minutes) and before the advent of Long Play records (LP) it was the 78 rpm shellac records which ruled the roost. The names of those who requested for this song will be quite lengthy and listeners will wait patiently for the song to be broadcast. After playing side one of the shellac disc there will be a pause to enable the Announcer (yes, the deejays were known like that those days) to flip it over for the second side to be played. Sometimes a longer pause will cause anxiety to impatient
    listeners! There had been occasions when just two songs could be aired in this songs' request programmes due to the lengthy list of the names of the requester. And this song was one of it both in names as well as its length time!.

It is a coincidence to note that Kannadhasan has mentioned the word 'Ilayaraja' in the song 'Poonthotta Kaavalkaara'. As usual Kannadhasan used his life experiences to come out with the gem 'Mayakkam enathu thaayagam' which was related to the song situation. Of course, there were some who attributed the word 'mayakkam' to mean 'intoxication' at the time when the songs were released. In the title song he uses Shivaji's mother's name Rajamani who was always seen in a larger than life kungumam pottu on her forehead. Perhaps, Vaalee must have been inspired by this line to come out with the name of 'Rajalakshmi' (Kamalhassan's mother)for the song 'Kallai kandaal' in 'Dasaavathaaram'. Both 'Kungumam' and 'Dasaavathaaram' were in house productions of Shivaji and Kamal respectively.

The immortal lines towards the end of the song 'Kaalangal thorum thirudargal irunthaar' is something which should be pondered. Kannadhasan implies through his own imitable style that without such 'thieves' the world will not exist. Phew! what a surmise.

It was a sort of precursor to 'Navarathri' (1964) having Shivaji Ganesan in multiple roles. Except for the old man's role with an unnatural protruding white moustache he excelled in the others not forgetting that at certain scenes it was over-dramatic. It cannot be helped since such over dramatic roles were the order of the day The female role, although a bit muscular, was proof enough that Shivaji can do such transgender roles. The stills shown during the title credits were actually from his visitation to the US in 1962.

All in all 'Kungkumam' was popular for Shivaji's multi-faceted roles, KV Mahadevan's music, Kannadhasan and Panju's lyrics and Krishnan Panju's able direction. A random count on the production crew members, yet again, revealed a hard fact - most of them are no more around. Shivaji, SV Ranga Rao, SV Shahasranamam, Nagesh, Muthuraman, MV Rajamma, KV Mahadevan, Kannadhasan, Krishnan and Panchu are amongst those in the 'no more around list'.
    Last edited by mahendra raj; 3rd September 2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: left out
    Mahendra Raj

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    மகேந்திர ராஜ்,
    உங்கள் படித்தால் மட்டும் போதுமா ,ரத்த திலகம் இரண்டுமே அருமை. நான் உங்கள் எழுத்துக்களை ரசித்து வருபவன். தங்களை நான் எதிர்த்த இரண்டு முறையும் தங்கள் எழுத்துக்கள் பிழையான பார்வை கொண்டிருந்ததால்தான். நான் யாரிடமிருந்தும் நீதி கருத்துக்கள் பெறவில்லை. சிவாஜிக்கு நடிப்புக்காகவும்,கவியரசருக்கு கவிதைக்காகவும் கடன் பட்டவன். நீங்கள் எங்கள் திரியை தொடர்ந்திருந்தால் எங்களின் கோணாத சரியான பார்வையை உணர்வீர்கள். எங்கள் திரிக்கே வந்து எழுதுங்கள். நாங்கள் உங்களை தொடர்ந்து ஊக்குவிப்போம்.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gopal,

Please read this post again as I think something went wrong when most of what I wrote did not appear. I had to edit it and post it again. Will reply you soo. Thanks.
    Mahendra Raj

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I missed out on Kungumam because of Astro + Rain problem

Anyway, chinnanchiriya vanna paravai is one of my most favourite songs, and I remember searching for the song in Brickfields in the 90s.
    TMS and S. Janaki would literally be competing in singing the song.

And if you had only listened to the song all the time and only later watch the film, surely you will be disappointed with the picturisation (without taking away anyting from Sivaji's acting). The beauty and the competition in the song is not captured in the story-telling.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Murasu tv is now playing kannan mana nilaiyE thangamE thangam by S Janaki - what a rendition... I think this one precedes the other two songs mentioned by Mahendra Raj.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV View Post
    Murasu tv is now playing kannan mana nilaiyE thangamE thangam by S Janaki - what a rendition... I think this one precedes the other two songs mentioned by Mahendra Raj.
    Hi Nov,

First things first. How are you seeing Murasu tv from here? Through online? Please do let me know so that I too can enjoy seeing it.

The 'Kannan Mana Nilaiye' song is from 'Deivathin Deivam' which was also released in 1963 same as 'Kungumam'. You may be right about it being the second ragaa song of SJanaki after 'Singaravelanae' (1962) as I think 'Kungumam' was released in late 1963 whereas 'Deivathin Deivam' was much earlier in that year.

You are right again about 'Chinnangiriye' song. It was my favourite too until, oh, ehm, ... I found out that it was not written by Kaviarasu Kannadhasan but by his erstwhile assistant Panchu Arunasalam. The song, athough extended in length, consists of less lyrics but more raagas for picturisation purposes ( consoling myself!). Originally Sirghazhi Govindarajan sang this bit but later Shivaji opted to have TMS replace him. This song was not available in KL and only around the mid seventies did Columbia House obtain it. My brother immediately did a tape recording of that song there. You will not believe that this song was also untraceable in the RTM library. I had to lend mine (the cassette) to them once!

No, although it looks like a competition song it is not so. According to the story line Saradha alone was supposed to go on stage but when she appeared lost for lyrics Shivaji makes an impromptu move to assist her. The whole picturisation looks like Shivaji is complementing Saradha and not competing her. Although it does appear that both TMS and SJ are going for each other's throat (pardon the pun) it looks more like a song from a guru to his disciple teaching the nuances of singing in raagas. Perhaps, you are mistaken for the song 'Aan Kaviyai Vella Vandha Penn Kaviye Varuga' (Vaanambadi 1963 too!) which is a competition song alright. But, then again looking from your perspective of the assumption of it being a competition song in the audio but proved a disappointment in the picturisation can also be right especially towards the tail end.
    Mahendra Raj

Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast