Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAAJA'S SONGS & BGMS REUSED IN CURRENT MOVIES

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

RAAJA'S SONGS & BGMS REUSED IN CURRENT MOVIES

Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajra...mine-a-double/

B Rangan once again talks about the phenomenon of using IR songs in current movies

YOU DON’T NEED TO KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN to see that Vasanth’s new telefilm – Visaranai Commission, shaped for Doordarshan and sourced from Sa Kandasamy’s Sahitya Akademi award-winning novel – is rooted in the senses and the sensibilities of The New Tamil Cinema. You just need your ears. You just need to listen to the soundtrack spilling over with Kannan oru kaikuzhandhai and Ponmaalai pozhudhu and Ennadi Meenatchi and En vaanile ore vennila. What is it about Ilayaraja’s glorious early period that today’s filmmakers seek to recapture in their works? Is it just a whiff of a particular time – and if that is all, why not sneak in the occasional chartbuster by Shankar-Ganesh or T Rajendar or even Chandrabose? Or is the connection more personal, a declaration that this is the music these filmmakers were weaned on, this is the music that became milestones along the way to where they are today?

That, thankfully, is not the only way Visaranai Commission slots itself alongside the likes of Subramaniyapuram and Pasanga.
    Right from early 2000's Iam Observing this phenomenon of Using Raaja's songs to add an effect (or) to rekindle the memories (or) to add a comical effect. It has just gone to an extent today that every film has atleat one Raaja song along the lines of reason mentioned herein.
    I Was watching 'Nadodigal' Yesterday and saw the song 'Antha Vanathai pola manam padaicha' used in a comical scene and started off with a discussion wherein who started this trend for comical effect? I didnt remember then But said, It Should be Raaja, as I vaguely remembered some Goundamani scenes with Raaja's own earlier hits... Here is one which came to my mind now - from Raajakumaran. Using 'Raasathi unnai kaanatha nenju'. Lets start discussing this trend and try to recollect Where else Raaja has redone his own songs to add an effect in BGM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    May be I have overlooked and there could be earlier composers who has done the same, If so please enlighten me

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of the early instances that I remember is from 'AN pAvam' where Revathy plays dumb-charade and when she tries to communicate director or BR, IR plays the tune of one of their earlier songs

However this was not a case of playing the 'actual song itself' (like in thenAvettu, for e.g.) but an instrumental of an old song.

Kind of playful act by him

That was much different from what many MD's do at present (may be at the insistence of directors). Whenever they want to get a "real feel" for a scene, grab an IR song , play it and the job is done. (siRu pon maNi asaiyum in Subramanyapuram, for e.g.)

Interestingly, even Shankar tried to make use of this technique in Shivaji. However, because it's an ARR film, possibly they didn't want to acknowledge IR as the "best-in-class" for erotic songs and so included KVM / MSV also and made it out as a comparison drama

Senior Member Veteran Hubber crajkumar_be's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine

Interestingly, even Shankar tried to make use of this technique in Shivaji. However, because it's an ARR film, possibly they didn't want to acknowledge IR as the "best-in-class" for erotic songs and so included KVM / MSV also and made it out as a comparison drama
    Baffling as usual

They wanted a comparison drama - MGR/NT/KH The choice of songs/music director follows that, not the other way round.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I'd go with CR on this - the whole thingie was based on getting in Sivaji, MGR into the mix.
    In Telugu, it was ANR and NTR and Chiru, so obviously IR wasnt in the picture there also, though they could have used the beautiful Daasthe Daagedha from Yugandhar for NTR. Then again, it was musically a flop there(as in only hardcore fans of music know about it - NTR fans wont remember it much) so not much sense in doing that.

Post Thanks / Like
    CR, Plum

What you're seeing is pretty obvious, even a child can see

I'm trying to unearth if there were some discussions underneath, i.e. reg. choice of songs. (Telugu doesn't count here as that's not the original and more reputations at stake for all concerned in TN and not in Tolly, IMO).

Either way, it's another case of "using an old IR song" to get some mileage genre, prime topic of discussion in this thread

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Punnaimaran's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the film "Raja kaiyya Vachcha", the song starting with the same words was used as an instrumental at the end of the film.
    இந்தக் காட்டில் எந்த மூங்கில் இசைக்க வல்லது என்று மயங்கிய பொழுது
    இறைவன் தேர்ந்தெடுத்தப் புல்லாங்குழல் தான் நம் இசைஞானி !!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    was watching a mediocre hindi movie - saans bahu aur sensex - they play "ram bam bam aarambam" from MMKR song to show a tamil couple dancing.......they play the full song - though the scene reeks racism - it felt kinda good that they acknowledge the glorious 80's and 90's of tamil music in some way.....

app_engine - thalaivar has no qualms in having raaja songs in his movie......watch duet - they would have used raaja songs in couple of places.....theva illama vambu pannadhinga......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Diamond Hubber MADDY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    was watching a mediocre hindi movie - saans bahu aur sensex - they play "ram bam bam aarambam" from MMKR song to show a tamil couple dancing.......they play the full song - though the scene reeks racism - it felt kinda good that they acknowledge the glorious 80's and 90's of tamil music in some way.....

app_engine - thalaivar has no qualms in having raaja songs in his movie......watch duet - they would have used raaja songs in couple of places.....theva illama vambu pannadhinga......
    _________
    Rahman's music is the ringtone on God's mobile phone

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber raajarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vaaranam Aayiram Title card has the following Guitar songs of IR..

Uravugal Thodarkadhai (Aval appadithan)
    Kodai Kaala Kaatre (Panneer Pushpangal) (my all time favourite)

Also, in one of the scenes.. Suriya was singing 'En Iniya pon nilave' playing Guitar Chords of the same..

GM would have wanted some famous 80's songs as the film started progressing from the year 1980....

No doubt he is an HCIRF..... even when Suriya narrates his love to SR, "manasukkulle IR paatta ketta maadhiri irundhadhu"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast