Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roles that you wish Sivaji Ganesan had taken up...

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Roles that you wish Sivaji Ganesan had taken up...

When you talk of Nadigar Thilagam, the consensus usually is that he has done everything that's there under the Sun when it comes to acting. There is not a role he hasn't performed, so say we all of us.

Yet, I have lived for atleast 10 years now wishing that there was more - greedy? Maybe. Then again, maybe not. Because we all know there was so much to him than we saw on screen in his career.

Ok, the preamble out of the way, here's the parameters: Think about roles that were on offer during his career (1952-2001), that were performed by someone else, who might have done a competent job, too. The parameters are:
    * It should be a role that happened on screen during his career, and dont restrict yourself to Tamil
    * It doesnt matter if it is a miniscule role, or a 2-bit role. The idea is to think how he would have done it. As in, it may be beneath his dignity to act in a 2-bit role, but then it is not about what the role brings to the actor rather what the actor brings to the role, isn't it? So, the idea is what film might have been enhanced by his presence, even in a 2-bit role.
    * The other way to think about it is what role could have shown a facet that we never saw in his career, but know in our hearts that he had it.
    I had a hesitation to start this thread, for some of my suggestions will be laughable for hardcore Sivaji fans - so the disclaimer is that this is just my sensibility, and I want to see how others see the same aspect. As in, we are all the blind men trying to describe the elephant that he was, arent we? I might touch his ears and say, he is a muram, while you might touch the legs and say he is a thooN.
    The idea is to fantasise along these lines here...As is usual, we might even think of a poll along these lines.
    P.S: Another motive is to revive the Classics forum. When it started, we all expressed concern that it might reduce discussion on classics. Looks like it is going down that path...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my suggestion #1.
    One of the prominent grouses I have been having against his career is that save for some early movies, he couldnt really explore shades of grey - there were sure characters which had quirks, and movies which addressed grey shades in passing but never a fascinating full blown exploration. So, thinking along thosee lines, my first wish:
    Role: Chakravarthy
    Movie: NetrikaNN
    Type: Lecherous old man, with a style quotient of infinity, and a cracking set of relationships
    Why?: The answer is why not? We know Rajnikanth gave a memorable performance here but I truly believe it should have been the original style king who should have done this - an out and out grey shade role. The film is wholesome by itself without the need for Sivaji Ganesan as it stands now. However, I would have loved to see him in this role.

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    One of the prominent grouses I have been having against his career is that save for some early movies, he couldnt really explore shades of grey - there were sure characters which had quirks, and movies which addressed grey shades in passing but never a fascinating full blown exploration.
    I think there has been a few: from Edhiroli, Pudhiya Paravai to gnana oli.

I guess there arent many roles he has not done. and for now I can only think of ajith's role in varalaru.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber hamid's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be frank I cant think of much in this aspect...

maybe we should think about some good roles which are sothappified by some actors and compare it with Sivaji doing it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hamid
    To be frank I cant think of much in this aspect...

maybe we should think about some good roles which are sothappified by some actors and compare it with Sivaji doing it..
    Hamid, thats part of the stated goals of this thread- please go ahead. But at the same time, I dont subscribe to Sivaji has done everything. The circumstances didnt allow him to do everything he could.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Shakthiprabha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    All the following I wish were mature movies with no masala or kiddish stuffs to entertain 'all purpose crowd'

__________________________________________________ __

I wish he had taken lot more of EPICS and HISTORIC roles playing EMPERORS and KINGS.

I wish he had done a role of full-fledged scientist and portrayed soem of their life stories.

I wish he had done few roles which talks on abstract thinking of eccentric personalities.

I wish he had done a typical role of "sherlock" in some mystery stories.

I wish he had done roles like "abhishek bhachan" in 'guru' or "amir khan" in "tare zameen par"

I wish he had been in veeNai balachandar's "bommai" and similar movies.

I wish he had done some mallu / hindi movies.

I wish he had done E.V.R (periyaar) role (sathyaraj movie, yeah sathyaraj did a good job )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    One of the prominent grouses I have been having against his career is that save for some early movies, he couldnt really explore shades of grey - there were sure characters which had quirks, and movies which addressed grey shades in passing but never a fascinating full blown exploration.
    I think there has been a few: from Edhiroli, Pudhiya Paravai to gnana oli.

I guess there arent many roles he has not done. and for now I can only think of ajith's role in varalaru.
    gnana oLI - script is so sympathetic to his role. We root for his character start to finish.

There is aandavan kattalai which skirts the border just stopping short of a full exploration.

Anyway, Ajith's role in varalaaru - adhula full blown characterisation irundhudhA? Or, was it a caricature? I havent seen , paarthavanga sollunga.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber hamid's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pasupathy's role in Veyil..

The emotions of being defetad in life, losing in all counts always.. etc.. would have been a challenge Sivaji would have cherished and performed better than any other..

Note : Pasupathy did that role very well..
    Come back strong.. Come back soon..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hamid, thats a good one, although a lot of Sivaji tearjerkers in 60's and 70's "defeated him in life" relentlessly already

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other day I was watching Thiruvilayadal with my child 4 yrs old

The impact of first Sivan introduction scene is such that I could imagine how the film became hit. That film is for all seasons. 45 years back the film was released. The dances, nandi playing mridangam, Vani on veena, naradha vocal, pooda kanangal dancing and the art work-wow wonderful

I my humble opinion, The films NT has done is enough for the future generations to learn from.

Though at times while seeing some stars doing some roles, we feel difficult to sit thro'

The era has changed and we the NT lovers are appreciating the skills of new directors as well as few actors(?)

The post NT era has been the directors' era as the acting died after NT's demise. We can't accept as acting by anyone other than NT.

Yes inside our heart we feel always NT should have acted this...
    Vazga Sivaji pugaz

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast