Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deepavali in Purattasi?

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Deepavali in Purattasi?

Deepavali 2009 is on October 17th.

Usually Deepavali is celebrated in the month of aippasi, but this year it appears during the month of purattasi. What gives?

Also Krishna Jayanthi is usually celebrated in Aavani, but this year there were two celebrations one month apart - one in Aadi (also celebrated by ISKCON) and another in Aavani (as observed by TN Vaisnavites)

A simple explanation would be appreciated.
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Platinum Hubber pavalamani pragasam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fast is the pace of life!!!
    Eager to watch the trends of the world & to nurture in the youth who carry the future world on their shoulders a right sense of values.

Senior Member Senior Hubber podalangai's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deepavali in Purattasi?

Quote Originally Posted by NOV

Usually Deepavali is celebrated in the month of aippasi, but this year it appears during the month of purattasi. What gives?

Also Krishna Jayanthi is usually celebrated in Aavani, but this year there were two celebrations one month apart - one in Aadi (also celebrated by ISKCON) and another in Aavani (as observed by TN Vaisnavites)

Tamil months follow the solar calendar, but Deepavali's date is determined according to the lunar calendar. As a result, it sometimes falls in a different solar month, because the lunar calender drifts a bit every year.

Krishna Jeyanthi is even more complicated, because here it's not just lunar vs. solar, but also a question of whether to emphasise the thithi (Janmashtami) or the natchaththiram (Krishnajayanthi). This web page explains it much better than I can.
    http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/ar...2001/0207.html
    ni enna periya podalangai-nu ennama?

Administrator Platinum Hubber NOV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    aravindh :P
    Never argue with a fool or he will drag you down to his level and beat you at it through sheer experience!

Junior Member Admin HubberNewbie HubberTeam HubberModerator HubberPro Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any significant difference in celebrating Deepavali during Purataasi? I hear that ancestral prayers should not be conducted. Can anyone shed any light? Thanks.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Deepavali in Purattasi?

Quote Originally Posted by podalangai
    Quote Originally Posted by NOV

Tamil months follow the solar calendar, but Deepavali's date is determined according to the lunar calendar. As a result, it sometimes falls in a different solar month, because the lunar calender drifts a bit every year.

Krishna Jeyanthi is even more complicated, because here it's not just lunar vs. solar, but also a question of whether to emphasise the thithi (Janmashtami) or the natchaththiram (Krishnajayanthi).

This web page explains it much better than I can.

http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/ar...2001/0207.html
    Under the Web-site quoted above... the matter has been well-analysed on various relevent factors...

...which must be enough to understand basically.

Further the following are the concerned important criteria.

(1) As rightly said by some friends here... on the difference berween Smarthas (Iyers / Sankaracharya's disciples) basis...

..alongsaide the Sri-Vaishnavites (Ramanujacharya's disciples) basis.....

..Smaarthas adopt the THITHI for all such celebrations... like KRISHNA-ASHTAMI... RAMA-NAVAMI.. etc.

..whereas Sri-Vaishnavites adopt Thithi-factor only for DEATH ANNIVERSARIES like Srardhas.

Deepavali is the day of DEATH ANNIVERSARY of Narakasura... so in that case... there will not be much difference.

(2) Even for celebrating the PERSONAL BIRTHDAY... Smaarthas take the first occurrence of Star...

..whereas Sri-Vaishnavites adopt the last occurrence of Star in the respective month.

(3) THe apt date of such Festival / Celebration... is decided on the basis of...

...Counting from the First Occurrence of relevent Star in the BEGINNING MONTH CHITHTHIRAI.. in that year

...which may change the sequence to different months.

For example, Sri-Jayanthi (Krishna-Jayanthi) is reckoned as the FIFTH ROHINI in the year....

..since Avani was the Fifth month of the year... by consideration of the Krishna's First Birthday.

So when two Rohinis occur in the same month in any part of the year, prior to such important Festival / Celebration later...

...then CUMULATIVELY the subsequent Celebration of the MONTH also differs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but given that Aipasi is also called Tula Maasam, and Deepavali is characterised by Ganga Snanam, and Tula is famous for Tula Snanam, how is a Deepavali in Purattasi to be viewed?

Just my two confusing cents! Don't throw anything at me for bringing this mottai thalai and muzhangal in one mudichu!
    When we stop labouring under the delusion of our cosmic self-importance, we are free of hindrance, fear, worry and attachment. We are liberated!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember two deepavaLis in 1990 or 1991.
    Celebrated at my aunt's place at the first then again at home a few days later.

I am not sure I completely understand the calculations even now. One too many variables. I used to think it was Aippasi amAvAsai that was all (that too thanks largely to a detective story where the suspect is nailed down because he tries to say he witnessed a murder on deepavaLi day under moonlight!)

tulA maasam !
    மூவா? முதல்வா! இனியெம்மைச் சோரேலே

Senior Member Veteran Hubber 19thmay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deepavali in Puratasi-yavida Deepavali in Saturday makes me

Leave pochE!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber ArulprakasH's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 19thmay
    Deepavali in Puratasi-yavida Deepavali in Saturday makes me

Leave pochE!
    முதல் அடியில் நடுங்க வேண்டும்.. மறு அடியில் அடங்க வேண்டும்.. மீண்டு வந்தால் மீண்டும் அடி.. மறுபடி மரண அடி!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast