2 18.18%
  • What about as a Mayor? He was once.

0 0%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Clint Eastwood: Actor & Director

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Groucho,
    Naan adhukkappuram vara scene a solren. paathuttu sollunga. That took me completely by surprise. Edho idikkara madhiri irundhuchu...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bala,
    Are you referring the conversation between Jimmy and his wife, specifically when she talks about Celeste, 'what kind of wife would say things like that about her husband' (not in verbatim)? And so why would Celeste report to Sean about Dave missing, because it's so obvious Jimmy had done something about it?

Not nearly an odd-moment, but I wonder why Sean goes on about that incident involuntarily affected their (Sean and Jimmy) lives too. They are all these 11-year old kids who are locked in the same cellar. Sort of like the line in Magnolia, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us". I wonder if that episode would have really affected them, as much as it would have in Dave's case.
    ...an artist without an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if it's the story writer's trademark. The novelist Dennis Lehane had also done a similar work in "Gone baby gone" which deals with pedophilia, kids, parenthood, and dysfunction, in a crime novella (I've only seen the film adaptation). The story is progressed through private investigation, much more than in Mystic River. I could almost make-out how Lehane's latest screen adaptation by Scorsese (called Shutter Island) is going to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070
    Quote Originally Posted by kid-glove
    Btw I'm responding towards Peckinpah's style a lot more these days when it comes to choreographing fights and violence.
    It's more romanticised, there is a beauty in it. Though I think he played it down in The Getaway to suit McQueen's style. If I'm not mistaken John Woo was inspired by Peckinpah, before taking it further and added churches and pigeons :P
    Modern stylized fight/violence should be inspired by Peckinpah by some way or another. It's choreographed like a dance sequence. The Camera movement, and also the technique - freeze frames, and slow-mos, everything that had been designed & preconceived before, and not done in post-production (like fixing different cameras around & selecting the images in editing). Forget De Palma and Tarantino, even Scorsese got the essence of this, and captured brilliant pieces of film-making in a boxing ring (he wanted 'Raging bull' to be "The Wild Bunch" of boxing movies )

Post Thanks / Like
    Bala,
    Are you referring the conversation between Jimmy and his wife, specifically when she talks about Celeste, 'what kind of wife would say things like that about her husband' (not in verbatim)? And so why would Celeste report to Sean about Dave missing, because it's so obvious Jimmy had done something about it?
    I meant that conversation and what we see of the wife then. "Competition" etc.....

Not nearly an odd-moment, but I wonder why Sean goes on about that incident involuntarily affected their (Sean and Jimmy) lives too. They are all these 11-year old kids who are locked in the same cellar. Sort of like the line in Magnolia, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us". I wonder if that episode would have really affected them, as much as it would have in Dave's case.
    Same here

Post Thanks / Like
    Bala,
    I guess Jimmy would keep sending 500$ in name of Dave, and led her believe he is alive somewhere. Hence why she was searching for Dave. I guess that would be a reasonable explanation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bala,
    I guess Jimmy would keep sending 500$ in name of Dave, and led her believe he is alive somewhere. Hence why she was searching for Dave. I guess that would be a reasonable explanation.
    I meant the scene where Jimmy's wife "comforts" him and tells that bit about being the "king" etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
    Linney, as his wife, has a scene where she responds to his need for vengeance, and it is not unreasonable to compare her character to Lady Macbeth

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik)
    Bala,
    I meant the scene where Jimmy's wife "comforts" him and tells that bit about being the "king" etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
    Linney, as his wife, has a scene where she responds to his need for vengeance, and it is not unreasonable to compare her character to Lady Macbeth
    uh okay. I get that! It didn't feel out of order though, considering the lady would know what kind of man she had been living with. But, I guess that line would have felt a lot less comforting to him.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its a little setup there. Its about justice and righteous revenge all along and suddenly we get this moment where the wife not only condones the mistake but congratulates him. The placement of the love-making scene there is quite powerful. And when we see the faces in the parade it has ultimately become something else, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, there's another scene where Jimmy's wife doesn't feel disquieted when he is concerned about Katie missing, and she thinks of it as another day ruined by Katie. at an occasion or two, she reminds him of the other(her) two daughters as well. I guess being a step mother, she didn't feel as much love for Katie, and to lift up Jimmy, attempts to find a level of contentedness for him.

Lady Macbeth moment? Very much probable and compelling, but I have to see the film again. Didn't get that feeling when I watched it.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast