Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BEST RAAJA ALBUM OOPS... 'SOUNDTRACK' 2009!

Senior Member Veteran Hubber rajasaranam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

BEST RAAJA ALBUM OOPS... 'SOUNDTRACK' 2009!

First things First, Let me thank 'Suresh' for keeping this section of forumhub up and running for the past 2 years. He was unannounced moderator here and did a pretty good job :claps: Before that it was really a struggle for few of us to keep this forum alive while Raaja was at his weakest 'commercially'! Though the commercial viability of Raaja has not returned, the year 2008 marked a difference in Raaja fans attitude towards Raaja. Fans who had washed their hands off Raaja terming him as a burnt out composer took an about turn and said 'Hey look There is still some fire left in this Old Man'. The positiveness which started off in last year grew into a larger proportion this year with the onslaught of Raaja continuing at an average of 1.5 soundtrack per month.

Bang on with a kickass rustic 'Om Shivohum' and winding up with a trendy 'Om Shanthi' ( Wondering at the divine Intervention! Surprisingly Omshivohum was the first track of NK and OmShanthi is last track of OS ) Raaja has performed something which no other composer could even dream off after 33 years into an industry. There are still instances within the fan circle in dishing this 'Old Mans' compositions, but I feel the criticisms now are more constructive and focussed in nature rather than plainly dismissing him. Hey there are fans like me ( & Hulkster ) to take pot shots at those critics, self proclaimed or otherwise. We do enjoy our side as the critics enjoy playing their side. And we really don't wish to bully them, If it is that way the negative fans are thinking then please feel free to be offended because we infact think that we are on the Defense side of Raaja, whether he needs one or not.

Music was never like this before. We saw Raaja this year in his fullest form with the ranges and versatileness of the songs he has composed. This year sort of forms a Bridge in the evolutionary cycle of Raaja. we wer able to listen to the Raaja of 80's/90's in soundtracks like 'Naan Kadavul', 'Nandalaala', 'Azhagar malai' 'Bhagayadevatha', 'Bhagyada Balegaara' & 'Pazhassiraaja' and were able to listen to the emerging new Raaja in Soundtracks like 'Valmiki', 'Mathiya Chennai' 'Paa' 'Chal Chalein' 'Prem Kahani', 'Jagamohini' & 'Om shanthi'.And there were many in betweens like 'Suryakanti', 'Kannukulle', 'Nannavanu' & 'Kaathal Kathai'. Please go through a Detailed Analysis & Summation written by Suresh to get a gsit of the soundtracks release this year.

One Trend which was noticed by many of the fans here is Raajas Foray into Rock and Jazz. Rock had been there in his music right from 80's but the Jazz component was an addition. Raaja is an Alchemist of highest order that we wont know what are the raw materials he is using until the effervescence is so captivating for us that we go on to analyse the end product. There was bit of adultery with Irish & Middle Eastern Music too this year, but those instances were out numbered by his casual indulgence with 'Jazz'. May be the association with 'Laslo Attila Kovacks' who is a Jazz guitarist and Conductor at BSO, also a loyal fan of Raaja could've inspired Raaja to foray into this genre. But without an iota of doubt we can say that Raaja has used this to the utmost advantage for his music. The piano, sax and guitar distinctly Jazzy in sound are moving in and out of his compositions like they were waiting for this maestro to be touched upon. Liberating them from the confines of Jazz & evolving into 'RaJazz'.

This year His Synth & Techno associations have also come to a point that they are here to stay. The 'TechnoRaaja' species have evolved to such an extent that it is trying to perfect itself... the question remains in the evolutionary timeline which/What is Perfection? The moment we may see there is some semblance in so and so composition filled with Synth, Raaja may take a different path and move on. And that is exactly the way he works. Intimidating this may seem for fans of his 'Romantic' music this is what is in store for us in future. 'Music as Art' is slowly fading away and 'Music by Design' is creeping in. This is not what an Artist Does when faced with new trends, he goes on clinging to his own style and fades away into oblivion. But a Designer finds new avenues to explore and keeps himself going. Raaja the unparalleled genius of 21st century is treading a difficult path right now. The Artist within him is clinging to the old and the Emerging Designer is pushing him towards the new. The fans are confused. Personally I wish him to become a 'Artesigner'. I can almost visualize Raaja smiling!

*Keypoints of a Larger Article which I wish to write later are included in this intro*... Time? *sigh*!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    Now to the poll part.

The nominations are open till 31st dec.

Each one of us will post ten favourite soundtracks if possible with a single line explanation for selection.

The posts can be edited till 31st dec, post which the nominations are closed and real poll will appear.

Each time a movie appears in anyones list it will get 1 point and the movies with more points will make it to the final poll.

The actual poll itself will be open till 15th of Jan post which the results will be announced.

The list of movies released are already there in my post above.

Discussions and campaigning are allowed for which 'Plum' will be the moderator :P

I hope the guidelines are clear

Post Thanks / Like
    My Personal favorites this year are as follows:

Naan Kadavul - for Om shivohum, Bringing out the Rhythmic beauty of Sanskrit
    Nandalaala - for the playfullness and Onnukonnu Thunairukkum by Dasettan
    Bhagyadevatha - for Reminding us 16 vayathiniley
    Valmiki - for that smile it brought in my face
    Azhagarmalai - for transporting us back to douser paandi times
    Nannavanu - for SPB
    Chal Chalein - for Rock, Jazz, Rock & Roll... everything
    Pazhassiraaja - for the goosebumps of 'Aadhiushas' & 'Alamadagala'
    Paa - for 'Mudi Mudi'
    Om Shanthi - for 'Om Shanthi' which is diametrically perpendicular to what Raaja is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Start Meesic

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    rajasaranam,

first of all a big saranam!!! to you. You are so complete as a fan, critic and reviewer. I am impressed at your level of involvement and commitment towards Raja's music. How I wsih I can write in such depth and express things so beautifully.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rajasaranam, fantastic write up !

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rs,
    But one rikkost - in honour of his exemplary service in the ir forum in the last 2 years - I suspect. 1 in 3 posts in this forum in the last year will be his - suresh should be the moderator for this poll. Secondly, I have heard only 6-7 albums this year
    (Yeah, shoot me )

People, three cheers to "IR fan of the year" - Dr. Suresh65 :-

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    RS,

Lovely writeup and as I mentioned elsewhere, more than me, it is guys like you who keep Raja's flag flying high. I would not have heard some gems had it not been for you sharing it with everyone.

My sincere thanks to all who liked my writeup. Let us hope Raja gives us the same delight next year as well. Wish everyone a great Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Hulkster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    RS, bramandam I enjoyed reading everything there

Sureshji moderatorku try pennungo, we need moderation especially when charu posts come in, could save alot of thread space.

Senior Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BEST RAAJA ALBUM OOPS... 'SOUNDTRACK' 2009!

Quote Originally Posted by rajasaranam
    Bang on with a kickass rustic 'Om Shivohum' and winding up with a trendy 'Om Shanthi' ( Wondering at the divine Intervention! Surprisingly Omshivohum was the first track of NK and OmShanthi is last track of OS )
    RS,

Lovely write-up. Simple thing like your statement above reflects your level of observations- though it was there for all to see - Very impressive!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast