Page 149 of 215 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 2142

Thread: Which non-indian film u saw recently has made u post here???

Senior Member Diamond Hubber kid-glove's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I did. Overall Sumaar. He looks comfy for a change.
    ...an artist without an art.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber GSV's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Minority Report..
    Brilliant film.. bit complicated like inception.. Must watch movie..
    Sachin...

Post Thanks / Like
    Network has put up a competent DVD for 'The Shout'. I was intrigued to watch this film after catching a glimpse in Gleeson's TV in 'The Guard'. We actually see the 'shout' itself. It just fascinated me from that moment. How do you pull it off formally? Bates using his physicality, his 'presence' works for much of the psychological fear & trepidation. And a masterful soundtrack work (though not a 5.1 in this DVD). It works subconsciously, increase the volume & position yourself in the right acoustical zone. Hurt's character playing out the sounds in his room also works up in ways you would expect of a 70's British film. There's also bad food & uneasy demeanor/behavioral patterns of a 'mannered society' on brink of breaking down these conventions. One couldn't shake off the Dr.Caligari narrative technique. Like any good cinema should, it plays out the fabric of dream/story-within-the-story-within-the-story/unreliable narration in its prescient cyclical form. In the process, it transcends its genre. The cuts & juxtapositions were precisely made & aural design more than stands up to it. The casting is brilliant. Apart from Bates, there's Hurt returning back to his submissive prototype, and he makes it natural as he could only be. Susannah York filtered through Bates plays out the erotica, despite the uneasy sexuality of Bates retained in his own narration. I was disappointed though that the metaphorical representation of sand dunes were literal in the poster/artwork of the film. The landscapes here & characters working up & down the terrain operates like the character's own revelation. Re.Hurt's christian sensibilities & the sanctimony of marriage. It does feel though Hurt embodies the narrator in the s-within-the-s. His attempts to have a fling with another man's wife. Similarly, Hurt's religious/dogmatic belief is being mocked on by Bates, but he shows even more irrational occult sensibilities, & Susannah's character gets 'turned-on' by primal inhibitions. It's this sort of a thing that I least expect from film as a medium. The cameo from Broadbent is part humorous today due to his casting. But the ending itself is played out to be 'absurd'. The again, the filmic universe of aboriginal surrealism & the location of cricket match (a game of much complicated rules) played out in a mental ward et Al is existential absurdity. I look forward to more of Jerzy Skolimowski. I didn't particularly like 'Essential killing' despite the astonishing performance of Vincent Gallo, but I'm discovering his fabric. I expect to have a different view of EK next time.

I also saw Ken Russell's 'Song of Summer'. It's a faithful narration of the last days of the English composer, Delius, in collaboration with a young apprentice, Eric Fenby. We see it from Fenby's pov. Debut of Christopher Gable?! And a powerful performance as Delius by Max Adrian. How both characters hit off eventually (with help of Delius's wife) & manage to produce some of his lasting work is what the film is about. For a 'Tv movie', Beeb production, Unkle Ken manages to put out a tonal visual approach & it's as cinematic as he could be. The marriage of symphony to the imagery is sensually pleasing. The opening with Fenby's own love with natural sounds in open landscapes is vivid as well. Unlike 'The Shout', the simplistic nature of its sights & sounds in pure B & W still stuck with me. Looking forward to his other biopics. I actually like Ken's theatrical signature & polemical style. Slightly disappointed to not see that here.

At times, it was hard to hear the dialogues (esp. Jelka Delius's English dialect) & there were no subtitles. But again, a special release by BFI in view of preservation should only be applauded.
    Last edited by kid-glove; 5th December 2011 at 01:10 PM.

Member Junior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watched "Hugo" - Scorsese movie without any cuss words or blood wrenching scenes. Intense drama, I should say. Slow on narration but gripping enough to sustain our patience. The narration was bit similar to raging bull. A good enjoyable one time watch for me !
    "I'm going to paraphrase Thoreau here... rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth" - Alexander Supertramp

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chennai film fest is coming.
    நெலயா நில்லாது நினைவில் வரும் நெறங்களே

Senior Member Platinum Hubber ajithfederer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    TTSS opens today in the US. Namma hubbers aaravadhu paathinganna eluddhunngooo!!. It has a 91% in rt.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tink...r_soldier_spy/

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Sunil_M88's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Inbetweeners Movie

Moderator Diamond Hubber littlemaster1982's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajithfederer View Post
    Salt (2010_

En sarvisla naan evvalavo thillalangadi padangalai paathirukken but this film's plot tops em all.
    Just watched this. Indha padatthai idhai vida correct-a describe panna mudiyaadhu

Post Thanks / Like
    Action scenes were very well choreographed. Maybe Nolan could learn from this, how to shoot a chase sequence..