Page 25 of 400 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    தங்கை மீதான பாடல்கள் தமிழிசைப் பாடல்களில் குறிப்பிடத்தக்க இடத்தைப் பிடித்தவை. இதில் பாலு பாடிய "மணமாலையும் மஞ்சளும்.." பாடல் நினைவில் என்றும் நிற்கக் கூடியது. வரிகளின் வழியே பாசம், சகோதரத்துவம், மகிழ்ச்சி என பல்வகை உணர்வுகளை மிகவும் ஆத்மார்த்தமாக பாடியிருப்பார். வரிகள் பாடலை உயர்த்திப் பிடிக்கும் வகையில் அழகாக நெய்யப்பட்டிருக்கும். ( உதா: ஏதோதோ காட்சி ஒன்று கண்ணுக்குள் ஆடுதம்மா! ஆனந்த மின்னல் ஒன்று நெஞ்சுக்குள் ஓடுதம்மா!)

இரண்டாவது சரணத்தில் ஒரு நொடி (இல்லை.. மைக்ரோ நொடி எனச் சொல்லவேண்டும்) மெய்சிலிர்க்க வைத்திருப்பார் பாலு.

ஓராண்டு போனப்பின்பு
    உன் பிள்ளை ஓடி வந்து
    தாய் மாமன் தோளில் நின்று
    பொன்னூஞ்சல் ஆடும் அன்று

"தாய் மாமன் தோளில் நின்று" என வார்த்தைகளுக்கு முன்பு ஒரு சின்னக் குழந்தைச் சிரிப்பு சிரித்து தொடருவார். அப்படியே நம் தோள்களில் குழந்தை இருப்பது போலவே ஒரு பிரமையை ஏற்படுத்திவிட்டுச் செல்லும் அந்தக் குரல்.

(பாடல் இடம்பெற்ற இன்னும் சிறப்பாக எடுத்திருக்கலாம் என்ற எண்ணத்தை ஏற்படுத்தினாலும் பாடலுக்கான சாரம்சத்தை சிதைக்க வில்லை!
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    genesis,

You have more than once announced your hatred for Raja. app_eng is trying to give us an history of Tamil Film Music during the mid and late 70s. In case you think you have an alternate history to write, which puts Raja as the villain please go ahead, open a new thread and put in your perspective. That would be much better than coming in here with snide remarks, which trivialize what app_eng has setup to do. You can look at past events in multiple ways and app_eng is looking at it from a music lover's perspective. And that is a perspective lot of people here want. As I said earlier, either you come up with your own perspective of things and put up a serious post on it or watch from the sidelines. Your snide remarks are becoming rather tiring here.

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Sureshji, V_S, rajkumarc & baroque for your appreciation and thanks to others who read my ramblings patiently

Sureshji and others,
    Please correct me wherever I stray due to my bias or misinformation when facts tell otherwise.

I'm not really that much qualified and was also heavily influenced by peer opinions, tea stall conversations etc during my boyhood rather than reading the likes of film news Ananthan I try to present info without any deliberate twist based on what I read from Manisekaran / dhool Saravanan and other reasonably reliable internet resources. However, my so called "memory" from what I read in AV / Kumudam of school days could mess up things and would definitely appreciate kuttu's.

rajkumarc,
    It's not clear which one came first - uRavAdum nenjam or PV kiLi (there's even an old thread in the TFM-DF discussing about this). That's why my "perhaps" remark there However, many web resources confirm that both these movies are 1976-ers as AnnakkiLi was. From my village kOlAmbi speaker memory, after machchAna it was kEttELe ingE that was immensely popular. nAn pEsa / kola kolayA munthirikkA / oru nAL unnOdu / nenachchathellAm were all "radio-only" hits.

Whenever I call "air time" please take it as "இலங்கை ஒலிபரப்பு கூட்டு ஸ்தாபனம் தமிழ் சேவை 2" for 90% of the time and the rest Trichy / Coimbatore AIR stations. Vividh Bharathy wasn't powerful enough to reach my village and so were other AIR stations.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Venkkiram has posted a melodious Bala solo for Shri.IR in ragam CHARUKESI.

You guys don't miss that composition with the preoccupation of TMS-IR issues.

Yeah... my Sanju rocks with his Charukesi RTP too.

Janu's service to IR is magnificent.

I woke up to oru sandhana kaattukkuley..... Janu's duet with IR.
    aahaa...Janumma, rustic IR with tabala, the strings, flute... heavenly melancholy.

Back to Palooti Valartha Kili.

kola kolayaa nariya nariya suththi.....Janu & chorus.
    what an energy , she induces.
    upbeat rural Ilayaraja with chorus . Don't miss it.

thanks App_eng.

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 23rd April 2011 at 10:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    genesis,

While it's possibly a factor in the decline of TMS from TFM scene, his comments on IR & the corresponding irritation by IR was by no means the main one.

Actually, TMS's irritation towards IR was more out of his own decline, IMO. There were many reasons:

1. MGR quit acting after becoming CM in 1977. Though he threatened to return to films after the loss in parliament elections, he couldn't do it as the people were so scared of his return and they voted him back to power in the assembly elections
    2. Sivaji continued to patronise TMS, even neglecting IR for a couple of years. Possibly with an eye to promoting Prabhu, he went back to IR in veLLai rOjA and MV started singing for him, alas the lone supporter of TMS too got tired of him.
    3. Rise of Kamal and Rajini who chose SPB as their main voice and MV as viable alternate. Take the case of ninaiththAlE inikkum, the musical magnum opus of MSV - TMS's buddy buddy - with > 10 songs and no TMS.
    4. Arrival of directors like BR / Mahendran who preferred either soft or rustic singers and not gambeeram or sophistication that were USPs of TMS.
    5. Age factor - "the old order changeth yielding place to new" thingy.

Finally, the most important factor: people liked more of non-TMS songs. Those were much bigger hits than any TMS number coming out
    Last edited by app_engine; 24th April 2011 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    #2 நெனச்சதெல்லாம் நடக்கப்போற நேரத்துல வாடி என் காதல் ராணி
    (உறவாடும் நெஞ்சம், 1976)

Another IR-SPB-SJ combo song that was such a huge favourite of me during school days. For most hubbers, the mention of "உளியின் ஓசை" could possibly bring horror figures of Sarath Babu in a local DMK meeting pandhal as Rajaraja chozhan. (Or, if positive feelings, "அபிநயம் காட்டுகின்ற ஆரணங்கே" by the classical female singers.)

For me, though, it brings the memory of crafts classes in school where giving the uLi in a wrong way to carpentry master will get a beating with the back of the uLi The good part is decent quality furniture was made by students that got auctioned every year and one such bench made into our home that served as the sole percussion instrument for years!

This song and many themmAngu songs of IR had been enjoyed by me and my younger bro with that bench thALams

SPB & SJ both enjoy with kuRumbu here and IR getting lovely beats for a catchy tune. IIRC, Usha chechi was telling that this song was banned by AIR. However, I had no problem as AIR had only very limited air time for TFM anyways and most of the time they were airing boring songs. IOKS, OTOH, was our darling and we developed so much of love for Abdul Hameed, K S Raja, Mayilvahanam Sarvanadha, Rajeshwari Shanmugam and were locked to that station for most part of late 70's and early 80's!
    Last edited by app_engine; 24th April 2011 at 09:12 AM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ஜெனிசிஸ், இந்த விஷயத்தில் எனது எண்ணங்கள்.
    ஆரம்பத்தில் ஒரு சில பாடல்களை ராஜா இசையில் பாடி வந்தவர் சௌந்தராஜன்...கொஞ்ச நாட்களுக்கு பிறகு முழுவதும் காணாமல் போனது என்னைப் போன்ற குரல் ரசிகர்களுக்கு வருத்தமே. ஆனால் காலத்தின் கட்டாயத்தால் இப்படி அலைகளால் அடித்துச் செல்லப்படும் நல்ல விஷயங்கள் இயல்பான ஒன்றே. காலச் சக்கரத்தில் கொஞ்சம் பின்னோக்கி சென்றால் சௌந்தராஜன் பாடுவதற்கு முன்பு பாடி வந்த யாரேனும் ஒரு பிரபல பாடகரின் இடத்தை அவரும் நிரப்பி இருக்கலாம். எம்.எஸ்.வியோடு நல்ல நட்பு இருந்தும், இளமை ஊஞ்சலாடுகிறது படத்திற்காக இளமை(இளைய)ராஜாவை நோக்கி ஓடி வந்தவர் ஸ்ரீதர். பி.சுசிலா இந்த விஷயத்தில் கொஞ்சம் அதிர்ஷ்டசாலி. சௌந்தராஜன் போல முழுவதும் புறக்கணிக்கப் படவில்லை. புதியன புகுதலும் பழையன கழிதலும் - மாற்றவே முடியாது. இதில் ராஜா, பாலு, யேசுதாஸ், ம.வாசுதேவன், ஜானகி, சித்ரா-வும் அடக்கம் . இனி ராஜா என்ன வழங்கப் போகிறார் என எதிர்பார்க்காமல் இதுவரை ராஜா இசையமைத்த பாடல்களையே தொடர்ந்து கேட்டு இன்புறலாம் என்ற மனப்பான்மை சௌந்தராஜன் குரலில் வந்த பாடல்களுக்கும் பொருந்தும். அந்திமக் காலத்தில் சௌந்தராஜன் பாடிய பாடல்கள் மிகவும் பிரபலம். ராஜேந்தர் இசையில் "அமைதிக்கு பெயர்தான் சாந்தி", "நான் ஒரு ராசியில்லா ராஜா", "என் கதை முடியும் நேரம் இது!", "நூலுமில்லை வாலுமில்லை" இந்த நான்கு பாடல்களும் தமிழ்நாட்டில் ஒலிக்காத இடமேயில்லை எனச் சொல்லலாம். "ரயில் பயணங்களில், ஒரு தலை ராகம்" - இந்த இரு படங்களும் அமையப்பெற்ற கேசட்டுக்கள் இன்றும் மலிவு விலையில் விற்பனையாகிக் கொண்டேயிருக்கிறது. அந்த ஒரு விஷயத்தில் நான் சந்தோஷப்பட்டுக் கொள்வேன்.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by venkkiram View Post
    "நான் ஒரு ராசியில்லா ராஜா", "என் கதை முடியும் நேரம் இது!"
    AhA, I forgot this main reason for the decline of TMS in my listtu (That's what TMS claims it seems and was so much upset with TR)

Post Thanks / Like
    #3 ஒரு நாள் உன்னோடு ஒரு நாள்
    உறவினில் ஆட புதுமைகள் காண
    காண்போமே எந்நாளும் திருநாள்
    (உறவாடும் நெஞ்சம், 1976 )

One of the all-time-great songs of Raja! Ofcourse with SPB-SJ combo!

Interestingly, I don't remember associating this with Raja when this song became close to my heart during school days. I was possibly in the 8th grade when this song appeared and made such strong emotional connections with me. Actually the interludes threw me into some different world then! இந்த "இனம் புரியாத உணர்வுகள்" அப்படீன்னு சொல்லுவாங்களே, அந்த வகை

It was a habit among village school boys to tell movie stories to others (me mostly the listener category) and some had the habit of adding BGM So, it wasn't uncommon for boys to "sing the BGM" using mouth and I can't recall how many times both my mind & tongue replayed this song's three sweet interludes! A lot of emotional connection there! These interludes have the power of mesmerising one's mind, putting it in different places / situations and playing strong games with feelings!

Add to them a very sweet melody in both pallavi and saraNam, the tik-tik-tik sound giving an unique identity and the youthful voices of SPB/SJ. SPB must have giggled when the last saraNam has the line "ஆயிரம் நிலவைப்பார்த்திருப்போம்".

If this had indeed been the first song in IR's composition for SPB, then it's a second case of singing the thousand moon phrase in his first song with a great composer. Let's wish him a minimum of 1000 full moons!
    Last edited by app_engine; 24th April 2011 at 06:35 PM.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by genesis View Post
    I say that again my friend!! MV IS SUBSTITUTE FOR SPB. MV was never a star singer.
    Yeah he was too old when idea star singer started happening.