Page 31 of 400 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    #7 தாலாட்டு, பிள்ளை ஒன்று தாலாட்டு
    மணித்தொட்டிலில் உன்னை மெத்தையிட்டு
    சிறு மாங்கனிக்கன்னம் முத்தமிட்டு
    (அச்சாணி, 1978 )

thAlAttu -the obviously most "realistic" genre of film songs! Possibly the first lullaby in SPB-IR combo. This had the voice of PS as well, my most preferred voice for ammA.

(This and stage program / music class / religious ritual kind of songs are the only ones on movies that people should "sing" (move lips) IMO. Everything else should be montage only IMSO, unless there's something special on screen, like mudhal mariyAdhai ones or kuzhaloodhum kaNNanukku kind. The lip-the-lines-n-dance-n-run-around kind of "love" songs are the most difficult to watch. Unfortunately, such ones continue to be filmed in TF under the pretext that majoriy of movie goers still enjoy them / help them relax etc. The good part for me is that most movies are watched on DVD's nowadays and all such songs can be conveniently skipped.)

achchANi song is sweet and one'll have to admit that there're not many "IR-unique-70s" stuff in the song, such as adi-dhadi percussion or in general, his unique style of orchestration. It's a simple song, no lengthy preludes or complicated interludes but what makes it click are the melody, softness, sweet singing by SPB-SJ and lines that echo what typical parents in TN dream for their children (will he become a doctor , earn good name etc).

Interestingly, though this was a regular listen during radio days, I didn't connect it with the movie that also had 'mAtha un kOvilil' which I knew definitely as an IR song. (By this time, started noticing the MD and the SJ song had strong elements of IR-ism while thAlAttu didn't have much). The portion that goes like "யாழிசையிலும் ஏழிசையிலும் இல்லை இந்த மோகனம்" could have pleased anyone who grew up with KVM-MSV melodies and they wouldn't have associated such lullaby with a nattuppuRa ALu who had a taste for 'western' too

Till date I don't know anything about the actors / story / on-screen stuff for this song. And don't feel excited to google for that

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    before this composition,
    தாலாட்டு for தலைவன் from பத்ரகாளி from ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா is
    கண்ணன் ஒரு கை குழந்தை..... சுஷீலா with ஸ்ரீ.யேசுதாஸ் .
    Vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 28th April 2011 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    before this composition,
    தாலாட்டு for தலைவன் from பத்ரகாளி from ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா is
    கண்ணன் ஒரு கை குழந்தை..... சுஷீலா with ஸ்ரீ.யேசுதாஸ் .
    Vinatha.
    That's correct (the song even ends with the ஆராரிரோ) but the achchAni number is possibly the first in SPB-IR combo

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, app_eng.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Achchaani had Muthuraman and Devika in the lead role I believe. I haven't seen the movie though.

BTW, super Posts app.. really enjoying reading the history/timeline perspective of the songs.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks App for wonderful insights about TMS, IR and NT. 'Thaalaattu' song is just amazing. Very nice pick. Very simple, yet very soothing melody!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV, okay now you got me thinking also. Worth analysing, I say.

App, thanks for the explanation. Please don't mind me, I am enjoying your posts. Continue...
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Though I don't recall much about my pre-school days, I do know that there were no buses to my village then - as it was five KM away from the nearest highway. The gravel road got the town bus service only during my primary school days and I remember the #5 bus by TVS (the old TVS logo with a circle around the three letters).

I remember the day when the same bus came with PRC logo (Pandiyan Roadways Corporation) and the aluminium painting on top of the TVS didn't completely hide it as one can still see it. Later it had the colorful fish symbol After a few years, when the road was getting "tarred", me & my bro walked miles to see the process, got our new shirts spoilt and received "semaththiyA" from our dad.

Thus started my love / hate relationship with roads, buses and bus journeys

I loved especially the Ashok Leyland buses - the way the engine roars as the driver accelerated and changed gears was always music to me (disliked TATA buses, they didn't "sound" nice, there may be a connection to my preferences in percussion sounds).

During school days, why even college days, considerable time was spent on talking about buses - their "face", seats, sounds, speed, corporations, sound systems, video systems etc and often about specific individual trips.

During early 70's, whenever I went to town and knew that I had x amount of time to wait for our town bus in the bus stand, one thrilling thing was to go the "route bus" area and watch those shiny Pallavan Express buses (with glass windows) It was actually disappointing to see Pallavan city buses without such glass widows during my first trip to Madras. I've progressively seen those express buses change the name to Thiruvalluvar, Rajeev Gandhi, Jayalalitha and finally TNSTC. Still, the Pallavan Express with Lion logo is still in indelible memory.

Though I don't share similar sentiments with the Pallavan city buses that ran in Chennai in 70's, I love this song that happened in such a bus :

#8 என் கண்மணி உன் காதலி
    (சிட்டுக்குருவி, 1978)

Sweet song, familiar to all who visit the IR section of the hub, akkA-thambi , interesting Vaali "counter-point-lyric" etc.
    Last edited by app_engine; 29th April 2011 at 07:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

wonderful posting & the pick.

இந்த பாட்டு எல்லாம், pappaya facial பாட்டு, app _eng.

நான் அப்படியே absorb the romance in my man 's smooth voice like a blotting paper .

I can still hear my friend 's voice ...' 9 :10 ஆயிடுது , அழகா இருக்கேடி, schoolkku நேரம் ஆச்சு...' while I was putting my பொட்டு, changing my தோடு , clip etc ...

Backside/front side tea kadai yellam, shri.IR songs pottu thalliduvaanga.

I trained my friend right, அவன் பொறுமையான hubby & dad now.

Even after 40+ going... now & then I take few mins to change my jewelry, accessories while playing Bala's sumptuous voice, my time.
    I need it.
    Now and then , my my laid-back moments with பாலா, helps me get things done.
    பாலா, நீங்க மட்டும் இல்லன்னா , நான் என்ன ஆவேன்?
    mmmmmmmmmm..... Smile

It is not counterpoint.
    என் கண்மணி (முடியும் போது ) உன் காதலி (முடியும் போது ) இளம் மாங்கனி
    அப்படி போறது melody.

counterpoint is concurrent melodies.(keeravaani.......,metti oli kaatrodu.... vocal humming, pon ooviyam kandenammaa......)

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 29th April 2011 at 10:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque View Post
    It is not counterpoint.
    Not musically but lyrically, according to some experts

(I'm just a reproducer of that thought)

The "concurrent" lines :
    என் கண்மணி இள மாங்கனி சிரிக்கின்றதேன் on one track
    & உன் காதலி உனைப்பார்த்ததும் சிரிக்கின்றதேன் on another track
    it seems, as explained by some...

When it arrived, my most fav parts were the chords (the thing that characterized Raja music for me initally), the "bus sounds" (pAm pAm) & the lines :

நல்லாச் சொன்னேள் போங்கோ

இந்தாம்மா கருவாட்டுக்கூட முன்னால போ

தேனாம்பேட்ட சூப்பர் மார்க்கெட் எறங்கு

(supposedly the voice of late R D Baskar, IR's elder brother)