Page 71 of 400 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by app_engine View Post
    GKV - G K Venkatesh (under whom IR initially worked as an assitant, for many films - mostly in Kannada language field).
    Ah yes, that rings a bell

He was the MD for poNNukkuththanga manasu movie that had 'thEn sindhudhE vAnam, unai enai thAlAttudhE'
    Beautiful song, Just love it
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ilayaraja glitters with violins, veena, anklets, chorus, mirudhangam, flute for SMOOTH Bala..what an allegro
    I drift off into the world of early Ilayaraaja's magic this hot afternoon. needed pattu break for me, thanks.
    vinatha.

Post Thanks / Like
    #44 சென்யோ ரீட்டா ஐ லவ் யு
    (ஜானி, 1980 )

Well, IIRC, Guru & Johny were peers from the two biggies that appeared in the same time period. Interestingly, a similar thing got repeated again another time with SKV / EKK (these two got released on the same day, I think). The person who is known today as the versatile / emotional actor did masala role in Guru / SKV while the person well-known today for masAlA did relatively non-masAlA roles in Johny / EKK.

Johny's case is even more interesting - it had 4 female solo's in a Rajinikanth movie where he had only one male song, the unforgettable senO ritA, with the terrific techno prelude...the song being a sheer guitar / drums / strings / flute delight! The way the song ends is another techno treat, delicious! SPB - the all-time-best, coolest singer for such numbers effortlessly delivers it, stealing the hearts of all youngsters of 80!

I keep posting about the occasion when I heard Johny songs from a shop on the narrow / steep / hilly road in the small town on Kodai hills called 'Pannaikkadu', from big box speakers with all the bass in full flow to tremendous effect on the whole area! Unforgettable trip, that one! (The same trip in which the Guru song was enjoyed en-route on a bus, those were crazy days when my feet stopped on the road for any fav IR song)!

Most visitors to TFMpage / The Hub are familiar with the prathApams of Johny and its memorable songs and I don't want to blA-blA anything in addition. Sufficient to say that all songs caught up with me like fire and are still very dearly loved! (Ofcourse, SPB song was on top when it arrived and fought with Asaya kAththula for the top stop - not any more, the other three have caught up with these two -as one grows older- and now it's impossible to pick any one as fav). Easily among the top 10 of Raja albums or top 10 of all-time-TFM IMO

Those who lived as teens in 1980 and listened to senO ritA finds it difficult to digest the false claims that new sounds were heard in TN only in 1992
    புதுமையான , குளுமையான, பாடல்! படமாக்கப்பட்ட விதம் ரொம்ப இனிமையா cute -ஆ இருக்கும் !

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    App, as always, super writeups! Thanks for Naan oru ponnoviyam, never heard it before; lovely work on the rhythm and veenai.

I remember getting hold of a title score (BGM) some years back, an absolutely whacky piece with racy rhythms (drums, mrudangam, african-styled drums, etc) and hynotic 'om shanti om shanti om' chanting. Is this one from Kaali (or is it Kazhugu?). What a cracker!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kazhugu. And in the beginning you get this robotic sound. Pretty ahead of its time. If that is the piece you are talking about.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. That's the one, Grouch. Found it here (and some old discussions from TFMPage here).

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the links, KV *zips off to the other page*
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by groucho070 View Post
    Kazhugu. And in the beginning you get this robotic sound. Pretty ahead of its time. If that is the piece you are talking about.
    Ah yes, I really loved the film, esp the tour bus scenes, Jungle beats, the mystery and last but not least , the heroine Rati Agnihorthri

By the way, didn't that film had a wonderfull song by SPB +PS called 'Kaathodu poovurasa ' ??
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PARAMASHIVAN View Post
    By the way, didn't that film had a wonderfull song by SPB +PS called 'Kaathodu poovurasa ' ??
    'kAthOdu poo orasa' is from anbukku nAn adimai and we've discussed a few days back in this thread #39 in our current series of SPB-IR chronicling...

Post Thanks / Like
    'kAthOdu poo orasa' is from anbukku nAn adimai and we've discussed a few days back in this thread #39 in our current series of SPB-IR chronicling...
    Oh sorry I meant ' oru poovanathila ' song