Page 75 of 400 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: The Golden Era of Dr.IR and Dr.SPB

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Superb App/KV. To be honest, I rediscovered this song only like a few years ago.
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome App and KV..Lovely reading about the background of Uravenum , the old archives and your nostalgic memories..
    This is turning out to be a memorable thread, the best thing is still we are only in 1980

Senior Member Diamond Hubber Nerd's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uravennum is not a regular in TV channels and in FMs AFAIK, when you compare it with paruvame. A friend of mine had recorded this song over and over again on one side of a 90 cassette. I borrowed it from him and never returned it. A perfect 10/10 song incl the video. Thanks app this song has been running inside my head (incl the ludes) since last night. Don't want to listen to it now - like this feeling

Btw the song is a delight to listen to, 'under influence'.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber PARAMASHIVAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Btw the song is a delight to listen to, 'under influence'.
    Under what Influence?? JD
    Om Namaste astu Bhagavan Vishveshvaraya Mahadevaya Triambakaya Tripurantakaya Trikalagni kalaya kalagnirudraya Neelakanthaya Mrutyunjayaya Sarveshvaraya Sadashivaya Shriman Mahadevaya Namah Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye Om Om Namah Shivaye

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally Posted by yaaro -I suspect this could be Plum's old avatar
    I really wonder what some reviewers will do when presented with songs like this to review-when the current songs are reviewed with eack tinks and tonks and plinks and plonks given their due,songs like this and rakkamma-their reviews will run into pages.
    The flute at the end of the strings before the songbegins -if there is a musical equivalent of breaking out in gooseflesh-this is it!
    Nope, grouc. Not me. I'd have been more like the situation, the mapping of the music to situation and Frabhu Rau will tear his hair in despair when I make that connection to music and situation/emotion

Post Thanks / Like
    Btw the song is a delight to listen to, 'under influence'
    - I was thinking to write "This song sounds like composed under influence

But knowing IR, he probably wasnt under influence. ellAm apdiyE varum pOlirukku avarukku without external stimulant

Post Thanks / Like
    நன்றி rajkumarc, groucho, skr & Nerd!

Nerd, 'paruvamE' had a much bigger lead over 'uRavenum' on radio at the time of arrival too

Post Thanks / Like
    App, a pre-KB-ised Suhasini is actually tolerable in the movie. Well, I'll upgrade that. She was quite a fiery young woman who you felt a grudging admiration towards. Unlike the vapid, KB-ised, eyebrow-crunching, artificial silar sirippar silar azhuvar emoting Sindhu(Bhairavi's competitor)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    a pre-KB-ised Suhasini
    Nice usage

There was this Mammootty movie (Malayalam) where she did commendaly too (ente upAsanA, I think). I liked her performance in SB too but not MUV & afterwards...

Post Thanks / Like
    #50 பருவமே புதிய பாடல் பாடு
    (நெஞ்சத்தைக் கிள்ளாதே , 1980 , ஜானகியுடன்)

Sweet jogging number, another SPB-SJ duet of top calibre from the same movie!

As mentioned earlier, a bigger hit with general public than uRavenum. There was this legend that the tap-tap-tap sound was generated by hand-tapping-on-the-thigh (and not a musical instrument), don't know whether true, but there was strong blah-blah and belief among classmates about this. I don't know whether some mag talked about it or not but I've never read anywhere myself.

Unlike uRavenum - where both SPB & SJ performed equally IMO- in paruvamE, SPB easily scores over periyammA (SJ's voice is very similar to my mom's elder sis, i.e. mom of the cousin whom I often talk about in this nostalgia trip Well, she was classically trained -arangERRam levels - and her singing of movie songs is delectable...as I type this her kitchen singing of the saraNam of 'rAjAthi rAja un thanthirangaL' gets played in my mind).

paruvamE is nice on screen too, I think both these songs (and also that wonderful 'E thenRalE' by PS) had picturizations of the kind that Mahendran always wanted in movies. I've read often that he hated the lip-sync'ed songs on screen.

The song does not have a prelude but the interludes are very enjoyable - same standard and similarly stylish / sophi as uRavenum's. And the transition from 2nd interlude to the saraNam ("தேனாடும் முல்லை") is one of the best ever! As for the melody and singing part, my most fav is that first line of saraNam ("பூந்தோட்டத்தில் ஹோய் காதல் கண்ணம்மா" / "தேனாடும் முல்லை நெஞ்சில் என்னமோ").

Songs like this cannot be stopped with just one listen...must be on repeat mode to thoroughly enjoy!
    Last edited by app_engine; 10th June 2011 at 08:40 PM.