View Poll Results: What do you think are basic qualifications of a TFM critic?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Training on either ICM or WCM plus knowlege of Film field

6 42.86%
  • Ability to at least sing / play an instrument plus years of TFM listening

2 14.29%
  • Wide listening experience of variety of music genres with no musical knowledge

6 42.86%
  • Capability to critique anything / create a vambu or stir

0 0%
  • Should have worked in TFM / IFM in some capacity

0 0%
  • Other criteria - like "should have listened to 10000 hours of TFM" etc

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who is qualified to be called a "TFM critic"?

Senior Member Diamond Hubber venkkiram's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sureshs65
    Else we will end up thinking that 'manmada rasa' is the greatest song ever created in TFM since it reached its intended audience and it reached it very well.
    "மெலடிதான் பெரிசு" என நினைப்பவர்கள் குத்தாட்டப் பாடல்களை நிராகரிப்பு செய்வது... இதுதான் அடிப்படை பிரச்சினை. உங்க கண் முன்னாலேயே ஒரு பாடல் லட்சக்கணக்கான வெகுஜன மக்களின் மனதை ஊடுருவி சென்றாலும், நீங்கள் அதை துச்சமென நினைப்பது.

எனது இந்த கருத்திற்கு நீங்களே சரியான உதாரணம். "தன்னோட திறனின் எல்லைக்கோடுகள் என்ன என்பதை புரிந்து செயல்படுதல் அவசியம். உதராணம் : பாப் இசையை பற்றி ஒருவர் குறைந்த மதிப்பீடு வைத்திருந்தால், அவர் வாழ்நாள் முழுவதும் அந்த இசையை விமர்சிக்கவே கூடாது. அது செத்த பாம்பை அடிப்பதற்கு சமம்."

எந்த துறையிலும் கலை, கமர்ஷியல் என இரு தண்டவாளக் கோடுகள் ஒன்றுக்கு ஒன்று சரிக்கு சமமாக செல்கின்றன. குத்துப்பாடல் எல்லாம் ஒரு நாள் ஈசல், மெலடிதான் வாழ்நாள் முழுதும் நிலைக்கும் என நமக்கு நாமே ஒரு பொய்யான திரையை போட்டுக்கொள்கிறோம்.

ஒரு "முத்து மணி மாலை"யோடு இதை நான் ஒப்பிட்டு கணக்கு பார்த்தால் நான் ஒரு மடையன்.இரண்டும் வெவ்வேறு தளங்கள். இன்றைக்கும் "மன்மத ராசா" என் பார்வையில் நல்லதொரு குத்தாட்ட பாடலே.
    சொல்லிச் சொல்லி ஆறாது சொன்னா துயர் தீராது...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    After I wrote my reply I sort of knew this misinterpretation would happen. It was late in the night and I was sleepy. So I did not post a clarification.

Venki: It is generally good if a reply comes for the gist of the post and not for one line which is convenient for you. But that's how it happens many a times. Anyway, here is what I meant. I did not mean that popular songs or kuthu songs are inferior. Far from it. My argument is that popularity of a song need not be taken to be synonymous with its quality. Not every popular movie is a quality movie. The role of the critic is to shift this out. So if there are 'kuthu' songs, the critic needs to have an yardstick to judge their quality. He need not compare 'manmada rasa' with 'muthu mani malai'. He needs to compare 'manmada rasa' with 'kumbida pona deivan', 'naka muka', 'annatha aaduran' and such and decide on which of these are quality songs and which are not. As I said he needs to evaluate them based on a certain aesthetics which he has defined. Definitely not on popularity basis. For popularity we have enough reviewers on the web. It is the job of critic to point out to innovative stuff done in a kuthu song and how another song could have been famous but is just a rework of a standard template. It may so happen that the innovative kuthu is a major hit. That is fine but besides the point for the critic. Hope that clarifies my argument.

Post Thanks / Like
    Venki,

I would also like to point out two things in your reply to me which a critic should not do.

1. One, jump to conclusions based on a single statement. In short, jump to conclusions. You decided that I did not like kuthu songs, I had no respect from them and then based on that line you started your roadroller. This is what Charu and Shaji types have been doing. A good critic should avoid this.

2. Second, a good critic should avoid getting into personalities. In your reply instead of getting along with the argument and putting forth your counter views, you get into personalities saying I am example for this or that. Again which the Shaji / Charu types do. A good critic should avoid getting into personality but rather focus on the subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    He need not compare 'manmada rasa' with 'muthu mani malai'. He needs to compare 'manmada rasa' with 'kumbida pona deivan', 'naka muka', 'annatha aaduran' and such and decide on which of these are quality songs and which are not.
    நூறு சதவீதம் ஒத்துப் போகிறேன். தவறான புரிதலால் விளைந்த என் பழைய பதிவை நீக்கிவிடுகிறேன்.

Post Thanks / Like
    venki,

Thanks but since this is a debate and your post is not offensive you can let it stay No issues on that. Maybe that shows why as vijay was saying, a critic needs to articulate properly

Post Thanks / Like
    நீக்கலாம் என முடிவெடுத்தால், நீங்கள் அவசர கதியில் இன்னொரு பதிவையும் போட்டு விட்டீர்கள். சரி. என் பழைய பதிவு அப்படியே இருந்து விட்டு போகட்டும்.

சுரேஷ்...இணையத்தளத்தில் முக நட்பு இல்லை. கருத்துக்கள் தவறான முறையில் புரியப்பட வாய்ப்புக்கள் அதிகம். தவறென்றால் திருத்திக்கொள்ளவே விருப்பம்.

ஆனால் ஒன்று. இணையத்தில் கருத்து என வரும்போது, என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரை கருத்தும் ஒன்று தான். அந்த எழுத்துக்கு சொந்தக் காரரும் ஒன்றுதான். ஒருவரின் கருத்தில் கர்வம் இருப்பத்தை பார்க்கும் போது, "உங்கள் கருத்தில் கர்வம் தலை தூக்குகிறது" என்பதற்கும், "உங்களின் கர்வத்தை குறைத்துக்கொள்ளுங்கள்" என்பதிலும் வித்யாசம் இல்லை என்றே நினைக்கிறேன்.

அதனால், உங்களைப் பற்றிய எனது கருத்தை தனி நபர் தாக்குதல் என எடுத்துக்கொள்ள வேண்டாம். நீங்கள் என்றால் அது உங்கள் கருத்தை மட்டுமே குறிக்கிறது.

Post Thanks / Like
    venki,

I have personally no issues and this is 'hubla idellam sagajamappa' . So absolutely no offence meant or taken. To clarify myself further, what I want to say is it is perfectly fine if we both or others here get into personalities (within a limit), the critic should avoid doing it since it will definitely diminish his quality.

app_eng: The good thing about this discussion is that we have another angle to add. What should a critic not be doing?

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gist of the postku reply paNNAma, vasadhiyA oru line eduthukittu adhai refute paNNi sandhoshapadaradhula sila peru experts. VENumnE pandRAngaLA purinjikkAma paNdrAngaLannu innikku varaikkum enakku puriyalai

Post Thanks / Like
    app_eng: The good thing about this discussion is that we have another angle to add. What should a critic not be doing?

Obviously, when we talk about criteria, do's & don'ts complete the picture, illaiyA?

ஒரு விஷயம் - "நான் இப்படியாக்கும் / அப்படியாக்கும்" பிஸினஸைக்குறைத்துக்கொள்வதும் ஒரு விமர்சகருக்கு அழகு என்று நினைக்கிறேன். ஆரம்ப கட்டங்களில் ஓரளவு வரை அது தேவை என்றாலும் ஒவ்வொரு விமர்சனக்கட்டுரையிலும் அது வர வேண்டியதில்லை அல்லவா?

(இதில் மிகப்பெரிய தமாஷ் வகை என்னவென்றால் "நான் இசை விமர்சகனே கிடையாது" என்று சொல்லிக்கொண்டே மற்ற பிரபலங்களைக்கொண்டு "இவர் தான் இப்போது ஒரே விமர்சகர் / இவருக்கு முன் யாரும் இல்லை / இப்படி ஒரு கலையே இல்லை / வெகுஜன இசை விமர்சிக்கப்படவே இல்லை / இந்தக்கலையின் முன்னோடி / ஆரம்ப கர்த்தா / இத்யாதி" எல்லாம் சொல்ல வைப்பது).

Post Thanks / Like
    re-posting from the "shame-shame" thread of Misc section :

Quote Originally Posted by app_engine
    பெரிய படிப்பாளிகள் உள்ள இடத்தில் நடந்த காமெடி :

http://www.dinamalar.com/News_Detail.asp?Id=95087

(கேரளத்தில் - ஒரு மருத்துவப்பின்னணியும் இல்லாமல் 1 மாதம் அரசு மருத்துவமனையில் டாக்டர் வேலை பார்த்தவர்! )

பி.கு.
    ஹூம், ஒரு விவரமும் இல்லாமலேயே "இசை விமர்சகர்" எனப்பெயர் வாங்கும் ஆட்களுடைய நாடு அல்லவா? பின்ன எப்படி இருக்கும்?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345