Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muthuswamy Dikshitar

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

Vidya (@ user*) on: Thu Apr 8 01:44:31 EDT 2004

I too have'nt come across such a reference in any text - mythological or otherwise.
    As I indicated in my earlier post I had merely cross-posted from a thread on authenticity of Dikshitar krtis in RMIC.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Nadopasaka (@ core*) on: Thu Apr 8 07:00:16 EDT 2004

There is 'Daksha Shikshana' in the Sbharana akshylnvbhgo where too ratha-gaja-turaga are cited. If these are the same, attributes of the contributing deities to the Shaastaa, then the Vegavahini to Ganapati needs to be checked for its reference to Daksashishana.

Post Thanks / Like

Aravind (@ 202.*) on: Sat Apr 10 03:03:30 EDT 2004

I rhink this has to be checked.
    In one of the MD sites, the term was as "One who punishes the arrogant people immediately"

Post Thanks / Like

Vidya (@ user*) on: Wed May 19 15:57:03

How would you interpret the following "mudra" line in the ghanta krti , shrI mangalAmbikAm, ie
    "manana dhyana nirata mahapurusha guruguha vinutAm"

Somehow the epithet mahapurusha doesnt quite fit a deity, does it.Seems to me like an autobiographical referencer.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Shrikaanth K .Murthy (@ acbd*) on: Thu May 20 18:45:33 E

vidya
    in"manana dhyAna nirata mahApuruSha guruguha vinutAm" mahApuruSha could be taken to mean all those great men yOgis, munis etc] who are steeped in manana and dhyAna. So the sentnce could be taken to mean "one worshipped by yOgis and guruguha"[with all its myriad interpretations]. It could also have an autobiographical connotation as u have mentioned
    Dr.Shrikaanth K.Murthy

Post Thanks / Like

Nadopasaka (@ core*) on: Sat May 22 13:43:14 EDT 2004

In a few places e.g Sama, mukhari, the Dikshita uses 'prasiddha guruguha nutena etc' I doubt this usage or 'mahapurusha guruguha' are autobiographical. That being said, I think this word 'Maha-purusha' does not appear elsewhere in the MD krities.

Post Thanks / Like

Dr.Shrikaanth K.Murthy (@ cach*) on: Sun May 23 07:33:38 EDT

Nado
    it s very difficult to be categorical about interpretations in certain places. Given the ingenuity of dIkSitar in bringing out various meanings, it shhould not be surprising to see an autobiographical connotation apart from the meaning relevant to the main context. Nothing precludes dIkSitar from making autobiographical references.
    For e.g "vaNika gAyaka guruguhanuta" in the bhairavi krti 'bAlagOplala' seems an obvious autoniographical reference. It can be interpreted in other ways but I feel that would be missing the boat entirely
    Dr.Shrikaanth K.Murthy

Post Thanks / Like

Nadopasaka (@ core*) on: Sun May 23 10:48:35 EDT 2004

Hello, Although most composers, including the self-realized ones unfailingly use a mudra, I think Dikshita further referring to himself as prasiddha or mahaa-purusha is quite doubtful.
    Perhaps if MD was invited to a shrine, then commissioned with substantial fanfare to produce a kriti, then maybe he uses this kind of (autobigrphcl) reference. Is this what you have in mind ?

However your example Vainika gaayaka is entirely possible since it is describes his musical background. Incidentally, there are not too many such references.

Post Thanks / Like

music lover (@ fl-p*) on: Tue Jul 13 20:03:40

Parvathi is Daksha's daughter and Daksha insulted Shiva by not inviting him to a big yaga he had.As Shiva's son, Aiyappan wanted to punish him. Also, Ariyan Kavu is on the way to Trivandrum, past Shenkotta (Chenkottai). It is in Kerala, not anywhere near Madurai,as I remember. Could someone clear that for me?

Post Thanks / Like

Vidya (@ user*) on: Tue Aug 24 11:19:25

The "magnum opus", Sangita Sampradaya Pradarshini of Subbarama Dikshitar is celebrating 100 years of its publication.

To commemorate the event,for the benefit of Rasikas and students of Carnatic Music, we (Dr.P.P.Narayanaswami and myself) have attempted to generate an English Version of this great work. We have carefully tried to incorporate all the Gamaka symbols and Svara notations as given in the original Edition. We have just
    completed typesetting Volume I consisting of Melams 1 to 15 inclusive, and some of the material is at the proof-reading stage.

We are now uploading the first cakram (Indu cakram - consisting of Melams 1 to 6) both clickable and nonclickable versions.

http://sky.prohosting.com/~guruguha/ssp_cakramoneclick.pdf

http://sky.prohosting.com/~guruguha/ssp_cakramone.pdf

We have provided two versions of the PDF file, one of which is in color with clickable (bookmark) features. These PDF files were generated by LaTeX, and pdfLaTeX programs with hyperref, and other user-defined style files.

We humbly request all rasikas to browse the PDF file. We would appreciate receiving your valuable comments, and suggestions
    for improvement. Please bring to our attention any typos or other errors
    that might have crept in during our typesetting process. We would like to hear from you.We would also like to thank all those who have helped us and continue to help us in this work.

Since a work of this magnitude requires lots of tireless typing, and proof-reading with sharp eyes, we also request any volunteers
    who can help us in typing/proof-reading the material, to get in touch with any one of us by email swami@math.mun.ca or vidyajayaram@yahoo.com.

- Vidya

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast