Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thillanas

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

IR (@ colu*) on: Fri Mar 24 14:04:55 EST 2000

Nado: I am sure there are a whole lot of those.. I am aware of one in Shankarabharanam and one in Kalyani.. lakshman could help us here

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

Vasu (@ s04.*) on: Fri Mar 24 15:56:10 EST 2000

Lakshman:
    I think the Kathanakuthuhalam thillana is featured in the cassette Dance of Sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Lakshman (@ ppp1*) on: Fri Mar 24 16:09:07 EST 2000

IR:
    It took some time to cull the information but here is the breakdown of tillanas in melakarta ragas.

Charukesi 2, Kalyani 7, Kharaharapriya 2, Shankarabharana 6, Todi 12, Kamavardhini 4, Shanmukahpriya 2, Vachaspati 1 and Natabhairavi 1. If you or Vasu can give me the beginning words of the tillanas of Lalgudi in Kadanakutuhala, Chenjuruti, Bindumalini, Kuntalavarali and Abheri and their respective talas I can add them to my list. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Nadopasaka (@ akpp*) on: Fri Mar 24 20:21:09 EST 2000

Thanks Lakshman. It is most striking that [a] there are relatively so few in melas [b] that there are none in the MMGowla and HariKamboji melas [c] or that the lists above do not seem to have any in MMGowla janyas such as Saveri (maybe LGJ has one in this ?? ) or Revagupti.

What is the earliest known Thillana ? Is it the Thillana Mohanambal ? Thanks for comments.

Post Thanks / Like

IR (@ dial*) on: Sun Mar 26 08:34:35 EST 2000

Lakshman: The Kathanakuthoohalam thillana goes like "thanaDheem jom thadheem"... I have to find out about the toher ones - would post as soon as I find out...

Post Thanks / Like

Nadopasaka (@ aepp*) on: Sun Mar 26 12:20:18 EST 2000

Hi Isrgi ) I am still reconciling to thillanas (sorry ?!). Is their alphabet made up of dance related words or syllables ? e.g. Jonu dheem , udara tani , nadridom etc. Just curious what could be other Lalgudi thillanas in the same raaga. Is there a talam that goes with the tillanas as well ? Thanks for ideas.

Just heard NikelaraDayaradu of (i think ) Vasudevacharya (?? ) in Kadanakutuhalam. Now here was a worthy student of Pattinam.

Post Thanks / Like

IR (@ dial*) on: Sun Mar 26 13:49:44 EST 2000

>>"Is their alphabet made up of dance related words or syllables<<" Yes - thillanas were originally composed for dance - and hence the "chol kattus" add beauty to them...

>>"Just curious what could be other Lalgudi thillanas in the same raaga<<" I am not aware of Lagudi composing more than one thillaana in the same raaga nado....

>>"Is there a thaalam<<" there sure is - Thillaanas are meant to exhibit "Footwork"!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nadopasaka (@ afpp*) on: Sun Mar 26 14:26:17 EST 2000

Brrr.. a bit chilly ). I was wondering if 'starting words' were proper identifiers for thillanas, like varnams or krities e.g. 'IdiNiku' or 'Kadaikkan' etc. I also did not find any talams mentioned yet in the thread. Thanks for your patience.

Post Thanks / Like

Lakshman (@ ppp2*) on: Sun Mar 26 20:47:18 EST 2000

Nadopasaka:
    Of course there are talas for all the tillanas I listed. I just didn't think they were as importanat as the beginning words and the raga. Some people refer to tillanas with the beginning words of the charanam because there is usually some text that is part of the tillana. Talas are extremely important for the dancers because footwork is one of most important aspect of bharatanatya.

Post Thanks / Like

Nadopasaka (@ aapp*) on: Sun Mar 26 22:48:22 EST 2000

I wrote above a few days ago >>> are there any Thillanas in any Melakarta ragas ? Muthiah B. may have some, I feel. Do the dance accompanists indulge in these more whole-heartedly ? <<<

Well, seems like I had a brain cramp. Obviously there are talams and footwork associated with the tillanas. I hesitate to ask but is there necessarily a percussion instrument involved ? Thanks

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast