Post Thanks / Like

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Bala (Karthik)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BM View Post
    Recall

Recall

The critics can eat crow, because bad reviews or lack of pre-release publicity hardly matters at the box-office if it is a Thala film.
    Today, Ajith is the clear number two at the Tamil Nadu box-office, thanks to his gargantuan opening. Trade pundits say today Ajith power at the Tamil Nadu box-office is second only to superstar Rajinikanth. Why? The money invested in an Ajith film comes back to the investors at a faster rate than any other star.

http://www.sify.com/movies/ajith-is-...ikwwaajbj.html
    BM
    Please allow me to insert a qualifier to this. Ajith is #2 to Rajini in terms of fans, fan activity, opening capacity etc but not in terms of business or collections. At least not yet. He definitely has the potential to be the next Rajini (*). Billa 2 field activity parameters padi paatha (almost) on par with Endhiran (in some places even better than Endhiran). This after disbanding fan clubs. Opening pathi sollave venaam. Shankar, ARR combination 'laam vandhaa i leave it to the reader's imagination as to what the scale of that opening will be - bhava bayaharam. Sustenance, general fublic varaverppu is the problem now. Others see it as a negative i see it as a bomb waiting to explode. I think it's only a matter of time before he scores big with public audience also, unless he prevents that from happening. Of course, his hits would not have been possible without public response but like Anban Karthi put it, the gulf between his opening and "back-running" proportion is too big. Highly polarised towards youth.

(*): I hold an extremely critical view of Ajith as an actor. To the extent that, i see a film as miserable if the biggest negative of the film is not Ajith's acting. So, next Rajini does not literally mean next Rajini. Adhu vera vishayam

While we are at it, please allow me to also plug this in The media always reports as though one little guy is retired or hibernating. The media at least acknowledges and popularizes Ajith's opening prowess but mentions virtually nothing about this guy's BO performances. The media even forgets what it writes about his film by the time the next film from other actors come. For example, the blackout and pushing into oblivion of a film made after Sivaji and before Endhiran. "Appadi oru sambavam nadandhadhaagavo neengalum marandhuranum, naangalum marandhuruvom" range. 4 successful films out of 5 (including Kannada) and still, he is never mentioned in the same sentence as box office. This, while having ridiculously less number of active fans on the field, a criminal to head the fan welfare clubs (fortunately replaced), fans who are non-performers on the field. If i can be a bit immodest, his films solely ride on content (i mean clicking with the public) and his name or what HE brings to the table. Forget associating with Himesh, KSR, DSP etc in the recent past. What is the one single familiar (famous) name that has a semblance of a guarantee in a film like Viswaroopam, given its budget? If i can be a bit more immodest, i will add that it takes balls to even attempt this, forget whether he pulls it off or bites the dust. On hind sight, we might say it is more of stupidity and less of balls - though i am confident about the product, might well turn out to be commercially unsuccessful - doesn't change what he has earned over the years or what he sure will in future. An opening pull that can rival Rajini's, even if only for certain "special" films he makes, in spite of an active fan count which is a joke, potential to put/get funds for budgets as big as they get in the state, to do business of the order that he does, for the collections he has garnered over the years, i think deserves a note here and there from fans like me to remind people now and then Trusting the media is perhaps futile
    Last edited by Bala (Karthik); 24th July 2012 at 10:33 AM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Senior Member Diamond Hubber groucho070's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bala on your last para.

Second to Rajini as an actor innum evanum varala in TFI. As a charismatic star, yes Ajith is next to Rajini AND that little guy
    " நல்ல படம் , சுமாரான படம் என்பதையெல்லாம் தாண்டியவர் நடிகர் திலகம் . சிவாஜி படம் தோற்கலாம் ..சிவாஜி தோற்பதில்லை." - Joe Milton.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber hattori_hanzo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bala, I can't agree more with your opinion &

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Cinemarasigan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sify is very biased, in fact no media in India is neutral...
    " The real triumph in life is not in never getting knocked down, but in getting back up everytime it happens".

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber Anban's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Super writeup bala

One other important parameter of box office pull is the ability to pull a opening perspective of the kind of movie or kind of role .. i don't know how many heroes can get any crowd without any commercial element ..
    Top glamorous heroines, top comedian, Oscar winning MD, commercial Director, expensive wig and other big list of commercial items irunthum thaathaa padam flop .. itha vida enna asingam venum ..

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    B(K)

Quote Originally Posted by B(K)
    Ajith is #2 to Rajini in terms of fans, fan activity, opening capacity etc but not in terms of business or collections. At least not yet.
    whatever he has achieved till now itself is tremendous..valarra pasanga..konjam tayam kudunga..
    Quote Originally Posted by B(K)
    The media at least acknowledges and popularizes Ajith's opening prowess but mentions virtually nothing about this guy's BO performances
    just wanted to add media is talking abt Ajith's BO power now...vera vazhi illa..because of the opening Billa has had after the negative comments and reviews...but usuala media Ajith support pannadhu illa..the first film which was promoted well in the media was mankaatha..varalaarunu oru padam..still ethana peruku theriyum?..appo ellam sun tvdhan main draw..they boycotted it completely..but still it was Ajith's biggest hit at that time..Kamal and Ajitha totala avoid pannirkanga media..
    Say My Name

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bala (Karthik) View Post
    BM
    Please allow me to insert a qualifier to this. Ajith is #2 to Rajini in terms of fans, fan activity, opening capacity etc but not in terms of business or collections. At least not yet. He definitely has the potential to be the next Rajini (*). Billa 2 field activity parameters padi paatha (almost) on par with Endhiran (in some places even better than Endhiran). This after disbanding fan clubs. Opening pathi sollave venaam. Shankar, ARR combination 'laam vandhaa i leave it to the reader's imagination as to what the scale of that opening will be - bhava bayaharam
    Say My Name

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bala
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்

Senior Member Diamond Hubber joe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bala,
    IMO , Regarding the media and downplaying BO records , What happened to NT is now happening to kamal ..There are social , psychological , political reasons behind this ..But never mind legends are legends .
    பாசமலருக்கு அழாதவன் மனுஷனாடே ! - சுயம்புலிங்கம்