View Poll Results: Which of the Vijay movie do you think is the most important movie of his career?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Poove Unakkaga - Vijay's talent get's noticed

2 5.56%
  • Kadalukku Mariyadhai - The boy-next-door becomes an household name

6 16.67%
  • Ghilli - Establishing Vijay as the Undisputed King of Commercial Cinema

18 50.00%
  • Pokkiri - Redefines Vijay's mass and reach among all audiences

1 2.78%
  • Thuppakki - Re-establishes Vijay's top position in today's highly competitive industry

9 25.00%
Page 347 of 398 FirstFirst ... 247297337345346347348349357397 ... LastLast
Results 3,461 to 3,470 of 3976

Thread: ★ Ilayathalapathy™ VIJAY ★ - Updates and Discussions # 8

Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. This 2009-11 phase is much worse than the 1999-2K phase.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Junior Member Devoted Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rsubras View Post
    That phase only the movies were not getting commercial success.............. But 2009 - 2011 was worse as the expectation on him was very high, and there were additional pressure on him..........what shouldve been a grand moment, the 50th film, came without a whiff and worse it bombed badly...........it lasted may be till the time of Nanban.......
    Vettaikaran was a hit in 2009 December, it had one of the biggest openings for that year.

2011 Jan 15 - Kavalan released after a lot of troubles and became a moderate success which ran for 100 days despite the competition from Aadukalam & Siruthai and less screens and saved Vijay&career to an extent. After the release Sify released an article stating 'Vijay's popularity has increased'.

2011 April - Vijay and fans supported ADMK and they won election making Vijay safe( at the time) and I remember Velayudham trailer was shown on JeyaTV for the whole day while the election results were being announced at the same time.

2011 Diwali - Velayudham released in less screens than 7am Arivu and became a super hit, running for 100 days beating 7am Arivu and was a big comeback for Vijay by beating Surya as he was at the top in business during that period(due to the combination of ARM after Gajini and had backup from RedGiant Udhayanidhi Stalin). Velayudham was an unexpected hit!

NOTE: Ajith made a strong comeback during this year mid with the blockbuster Mangaatha, making Vijay&Ajith the next generation super stars pushing Surya down.

To be frank Velayudham was a bigger hit than Nanban due to the budget difference. The only thing Nanban did to Vijay is earned him a good name as an actor but failed to beat box office records. Thuppakki was the one after Gilli/Pokkiri which made him a super star of this generation!

Vijay made a comeback with Kaavalan, a movie which every Vijay fan will not forget as there was a Red Card issued on Vijay by Paneerselvam(producer Council leader, a video by him on Vijay/Ajith were shared by media all over)after a disaster Sura and was unable to release it on time(Jan14th) due to huge financial issues & people's support for Vijay increased during/after the movie.
    Last edited by Chathriyan; 20th November 2014 at 03:38 PM.

4. Likes CEDYBLUE liked this post
    Senior Member Seasoned Hubber rsubras's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good analysis, the reason why I included 2011 as bad phase in spite of the movies' success as you had mentioned is the fact that you had mentioned in your post itself. From being the ruler of box office his movies were relegated to second position. He reclaimed it from and after nanban
    R.SUBRAMANIAN

My Blog site - http://rsubras.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not into the BO discussion right now. But purely from a fan's perspective, 2 films released in this period are the mistakes i never want Vijay to commit again in his career - Villu and Suraa. Both got the result they deserved.

Unfortunately Vettaikkaran, a much better watch and a profitable venture was clubbed with these two films by you know who and was projected as a flop.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Junior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    I am not into the BO discussion right now. But purely from a fan's perspective, 2 films released in this period are the mistakes i never want Vijay to commit again in his career - Villu and Suraa. Both got the result they deserved.

Unfortunately Vettaikkaran, a much better watch and a profitable venture was clubbed with these two films by you know who and was projected as a flop.
    Sometimes the worst happens for the best and Suraa should probably have played a huge part in the way Vijay has been approaching films and scripts ever since.

Post Thanks / Like
    True. But sad that it will go down the history as his 50th film.

- Bernard Shaw

Senior Member Veteran Hubber CEDYBLUE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Completely agree with Ajay.

It was Vijay's worst phase, worser than the Shahjahan-Pudhiya Geethai phase or the Endrenrum Kadhal-Kannukul Nilavu phase.

Vijay's credit for Kushi as a life changer was I guess due to all the rumors surrounding his marriage and the wife-luck factor, apart from the lean-patch in movies.

Chatriyan, very good analysis, but this is one period where Box Office and Money took a backseat, as Ajay has put it. This was all about respect, which Vijay was losing. He became an easy target for the 'you know who' group and he was deemed one-dimensional, over-the-top and a spent force. Make no mistake, even movies like ATM, Villu and Sura made more money than some of the hits of his competitors, but as rsubras quite rightly puts, he was no longer the leader. Surya, was making all the right moves, working with the best directors and was looking dependable. Vettaikaran was a hit, bigger than the hits of others, but because it was Vijay and because it was right in between Vijay's worst, it was conveniently included in the flop category. In Hindsight, this is the best thing to have happened to Vijay. He understood, it was not only about BO that matters, it was about characters, directors, technicians, movies and respect.

After Sura, Vijay has delivered two 100 crore blockbusters, has worked with Industry's best such as Shankar and ARM and is making smart choices expanding his commercial horizon with movies such as Vijay58. I am sure, there is more to come!

He is back to what he is best at, setting the box office on fire.
    Last edited by CEDYBLUE; 20th November 2014 at 07:17 PM.
    In admiration of Mr. Evergreen Young, Mr. Box Office, Mr. Dance, Mr. MASS - | Ilayathalapathy VIJAY |

Senior Member Veteran Hubber CEDYBLUE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Movie Buff View Post

Sometimes the worst happens for the best and Suraa should probably have played a huge part in the way Vijay has been approaching films and scripts ever since.
    No questions about that. He is more wiser now.
    In admiration of Mr. Evergreen Young, Mr. Box Office, Mr. Dance, Mr. MASS - | Ilayathalapathy VIJAY |

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess Vijay was having a doubt of which way to chose. Whether to chose the mass entertainer way or to woo the family audience. His Tirupachi and Sivakasi were BBs and a romantic film like Sachien was not a great money spinner like these films. Even a boring Madura became a hit because of his previous film. Pokkiri was a BB too and that made him believe that mass entertainers are the safe bet. Kuruvi started the downfall and then Villu, Suraa followed. He learnt his lessons the hard way and realized that its not about mass entertainers or family films but the making is all that matters.

After Suraa, I guess only Thalaivaa didn't do well in the BO. Not because of a bad content but due to lot of external factors.

- Bernard Shaw

12. Likes CEDYBLUE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is Sify's year end report of 2009 which speaks about VK's BO verdict.

http://www.sify.com/mobile/movies/20...frfMiibaa.html

- Bernard Shaw

14. Thanks CEDYBLUE thanked for this post