Thread: The Greatest Indian Epic - Mahabharath

Threaded View

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice topic guys.Even as a Christian Hindu Mythology has fascinated me always.I have grown up reading them.I can't be sure about my memory.But if I can join in:

The great novel,Yayati by V.S. Khandekar if I remember right,gives a complete insight into the life of this king.He became prematurily aged due to a curse from Shukracharya for illtreating his daughter Devayani whom Yayati married.

Now for Bhishma and Shantanu,Shantanu was the king Mahabhishek in an earlier birth.Once when he was in Indra's durbar,Goddess Ganga entered the place.Due to breeze her dress was slightly removed from her body.All present removed their gaze out of respect for the Goddess but Mahabhishek who was mesmerized by the beauty of the Goddess stared at her.Upon this,Brahma cursed him that he will be born in the Bharatha dynasty and will have Ganga as his wife from whom he will suffer great grief.

When he was born as Shantanu he was once sitting near the Ganga river and saw a beautiful woman.The rest of the story is already discussed here.

Later ,Devavratha,the son of Ganga and Shantanu was returned to him by the Goddess.Once Shantanu went to see the chief of fishermen in his country.He was not home and Shantanu fell for his daughter Satyavati who was alone at home.He requested her hand in marriage,but the fisherman kept the condition that her children should inherit the kingdom.The king returned in sadness as it was the right of Devaratha.Upon seeing his father sad,Devavratha asked his charioteer about the happenings and went to see the fisherman.He promosed that he won't raise claim to the throne.Not satisfied with this the chief raised the suspicion that one day his children may stake claim to the throne.At this Devavratha took a terrible vow,that he will never marry or have children of his own and will stay away from power forever.Devas appeared on the sky and showered praises and flowers upon him ,surprised at his devotion for his father.From that moment he was called Bhishma,one who has taken a terrible oath.[The usage 'Bhishma Shapatham' was derived from this].

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement