Also I remember that recently Maestro mentioned that it was the 969th movie at one of the functions about 4 months ago.
If I have to recall it should be either at Onnayum aattukuttiyum OST release or BM last contribution Thalaimuraigal???? Both these were purely RR/BGS and both were made for very little pennies over a dollar cost to the respective producers.
After that we probably have 20 odd moves including the ones signed on dotted across 5 languages that he is working. There are some unreleased ones like Megha, Naadi Thudikkuthadi, Happi (Hindi), and couple others that should be prior to the 969# we are referencing right now.

still he is very close to the 1000th mark on the yardstick. I think they like to have publicity calling it 1000th movie to create "hype" which is understandable . we don't have maestro's PR covering these important milestones. btw where is this character nikil Murugan? he is supposed to be working on such aspects considering he is Sangili Murugans son a very close aide of IR.

still I would love to celebrate this mega feat since he would be probably the last composer to accomplish such a milestone. He is a genius and rare phenomena in the music domain.