Thread: Film / Documentary - Recently watched & worthy of some discussion

Threaded View

Junior Member Newbie Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    During the day, I don't beleive in ghosts. At night, I am a little more open minded.

Our four little friends, catch-up at a bar and end at De Monte colony to pass their wonderful late evening in the quater's bunglow, a building rumored to be haunted. Day breaks, the daily routine eats them and the following evening they assemble at thier appartments to find out that their place is no more the same, including their television set.

A Horror Fest material for its originality, outstanding sound-track and setup. De Monte Colony-The Movie is a typical genre film-making. As there are not much materials in TFI to track down De Monte Colony-The Movie, please excuse me to bring in few foriegn works. To track its inspiration you have start from John W. Campbell's novel "Who Goes There?" and then come down until the movie 'The Things'. Basically its made out using the concept - Cabin Fever [a person or group is isolated and/or shut in a small space]. Nothing to do with De Monte Colony, but Reeker (Rated R - 2005) is another movie where a group of teens get caught in an abandoned town and start running in rounds. And I watched Assylum [goes also by the names Exeter or Blackmask (Rated R - 2015)] before De Monte Colony. A group of teens - cliché - get stuck inside a building where one by one get pocessed - cliché - their eyes change white. There is a bunch of other movies, maybe when I find some time I will put a note in Foreign Film/Horror Film threads.

Yet again not going into the technical aspects of the film and going 'bla-bla' about how hard its to film inside a 20x20 box-room by taking much care to calculate the height & length and to fix shots depending on the lighting without burning down the arists and pronouncing cuts for the post-production, but just an exemple : Camera (no shakes) moves up to show Alwarpet Sign board, then, moves down (no shake) De Monte Colony sign board. That's how they used their team work efficiently to get a convicing final product.

Soundtrack - Title Card presentation, when De Monte returns and finds about his wife, the violin bit for the TV & the climax revelation - all the pieces were simply superb. Then the 'half-death-metal' suituational song 'Oru Naal Odangal' was excellent. The De Monte back story narration was clear - A De Monte Shining - eventhough I have seen those type of image style elsewhere. Also When De Monte searches for his servants, reminded me of the 'killer-dinosaur (whatever biological name it goes with)' looking for the kids.

The casting is great too. MS Bhasker and his assistant (what is his name please, been seeing him in many movies - also the one who surfs internet) give a nice comical plus plot touch to the film. The whole of ACT 2 is taken care by Arulnithi, Ramesh Thilak & Sanath, while their 4th friend takes a nap. The events that happen in their room are interesting, including the 'ash-arrow', which was kind of creepy. Srinivasan, played by Arulnithi, character gets a bit edged showing what really happens when death knocks and its your turn to open the door. Arulnithi brings out the scary face very well & Ramesh Thilak with his funny lines and comical moves lightens the suituation. The whole idea behind the pocession is great - De Monte playing with his preys. But I did not get the last frame where we see the back of an head upside down beside Arulnithi. What is it & why is it there ?

De Monte Colony brings in an excellent genre-twist where Ajay Gnanamuthu narrates us his horror story rich in Art and has depth in its Content.

De Monte Colony - Hall of Terror
    Last edited by mappi; 24th June 2015 at 05:35 PM.
    Any information on how to screen Indian Movies outside India, please post them here : http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthrea...-outside-India

2. Likes NOV liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement