Thanks to QT's reco in his archives site, I watched "Rolling thunder"

Is actually a poor man's "Taxi driver" (although it has its own aspects), I read Paul Schrader had written both the films direct and exploitive of his own situation (his wife and children left him, a chief inspiration for the main role in "Rolling thunder" right there). Unlike "Taxi driver", "Rolling thunder" binds family situation to actions of the protagonist (And his side kick, yeah there is one). Apart from psychological trauma, there is also a sequence in whorehouse that reminds one of "Taxi driver". And Jodie Foster part isn't exactly mirrored but a grown-up different version provides interest to our protagonist, and like in Taxi driver, acts quite an useful tool. The direction is the way I'd like it to be, violence comes uninvited to break the moods of tranquility, and probably remains the only state of "excitement" in the conditioned, disturbed military mind.

The lead actor is no De niro, but his silence and lack of expression works alright. Young Tommy lee Jones (is the side kick aforementioned)