Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Comments on Outlook article & other TiS criticisms

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    People calm down!!
    A gift from Classy Ilayaraaja for all of you!!
    http://www.musicindiaonline.com/l/26/s/movie_name.4195/
    "oru kunguma chenga......." SPB & Janaki
    Enjoy the exquisite early Ilayaraaja song!!!! Enjoy the beautiful tune, fantastic orchestra!!
    Listen to the first interlude how melodious, Janaki's humming, soothing raaja's flute and violin amazing amazing!!! Second interlude is very up beat, energetic!!
    Even after 30 yrs this song is so fresh!! Absolutely modern & stylish!!
    That’s our Ilayaraaja!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Appa ippavavathu many of IR fans decentnnu othukiteengale apart from myself and kr thanks"

I didnt include kr, I said just you were the exception to decent IR fans. Dont try to garner support by putting words in my mouth. kr is far more dignified in his expression.

Since when were Nagma and Prabhudeva superstars? That was Prabhudeva's maiden film as a hero( a very dangerous experiment that would have failed if not for the music)and Shankar's second film. Shankar was just a one-film wonder at that point. No Rahman and Kaadhalan wouldnt have run beyond a week.Kunjumon ceased to exist after a while.

"atha padichu namma ellam sirichuttu usupaethinaa"

I know that your contribution to this DF is just limited to "usuppeththal" and little else Thanks for confirming it. Beyond a point its futile to keep responding to your (usupp)peththals, so I stop here.

"When earlier films of MR was made in Hindi there was little recognition of him but it grew significantly before the making of Roja as could be evidenced by the many "I would like to work with Maniji" comments by leading actors and actresses in a period pre-Roja.
    "

kr, Mani didnt have a market in Hindi, period. If a few actors expressed a wish to work with him that might be because they were impressed with him as an artiste after seeing Nayagan. That doesnt translate into mass popularity in the North. Even now, Mani Rathnam has a very limited audience in the North for his movies.He might have had critical acclaim from his peers and actors. But commercially, he wasnt a big name in Bombay. Even his recent Yuva bombed. So saying that Roja became a musical hit in the North due to Manirathnam is getting a little too absurd, espcially when Mani didnt have a single big hit in Hindi until that point.

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I am trying to describe here is brand associations and its influence on consumer behavior. That is why you see brands have celebrity spokepersons - Indian eg: Boost is the secret of my success by Sachin Tendulkar. There Sachin Tendulkar as a brand stands for energy, success for achievements and appeal. These are brand expecatations for Sachin. So when Boost uses Sachin T as its spokesperson, the target audience takes from it that if Sachin uses Boost to get his energy then it would help me too. Similarly MR as a brand had built some expectations - his movies would be hip, have great photography, great music (ironically this expectation of the brand built by IR) etc.. This has influences on how consumers perceptions. So it is not about market or commercial hits, it is about perceptions and expectations.

Post Thanks / Like
    kr, what you say might be applicable to a certain extent within TN, but not quite enough to make an album a big musical hit nationwide. For that to happen, the album should have possessed freshness and a certain unique approach to presenting music which was new to IFM itself, leave alone TFM.And to think of the fact that Roja wasnt even specially composed with a Northie audience in mind. Several big directors before Manirathnam switched from IR to someone else and those MDs didnt last too long. Remember Devendran/Hamsalekha with BR or Rajnikanth with Chandrabose? Why didnt these MDs go on to conquer TN the way Rahman did, although they worked with big banners/names? They had only fleeting success. Same with MaragadhamaNi and KB.

Also Ram Gopal Varma was'nt a very big name before Rangeela in Bombay and he didnt have any brand name associated with him yet. His best movies were to come later.That was truly Rahman's debut in Hindi and he scored straightaway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vijayr, endha IR fans konjam vayasu anavanga . So that's why they say when u get old, u become more stubborn... So these guys are like "Na Pudhicha muyaluku 3 kal" than ninaipanga... So leave it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Talking of consumers perceptions what appears as hype to you could appear as rightful product promotion to some. There is a thin line between hype and promotion and often it seems blurred. IR having a title like "Maestro" based on his symphony 1 which was'nt even released or heard by anyone in TN, could come across as undeserved praise/accolade or hype to someone. How would you defend that?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    13 yrs at the top-nu varsham varshama auto-increment pottukinne poraangoooooo, reality mattum vera ennanamo solludhu

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vijayr
    Talking of consumers perceptions what appears as hype to you could appear as rightful product promotion to some. There is a thin line between hype and promotion and often it seems blurred. IR having a title like "Maestro" based on his symphony 1 which was'nt even released or heard by anyone in TN, could come across as undeserved praise/accolade or hype to someone. How would you defend that?
    Maestro was awarded by RPO after conducting symphony 1. Please have some respect for Maestro. I know ppl are bashing ARR here, but dont do the same here and proove that you are one of them.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ilayaraaja fans, Please don't engage further!!
    Come on, you want to celebrate and enjoy our Ilayaraaja, dhool has featured an exotic song in Ilayaraaja music, they have put up a photo of our Raaja with his Guru!
    Ilayaraaja is The Maestro!!
    http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/666.html
    love, Vinatha

Member Regular Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

Its high time we stop this war here. Vijay, Kr has already clarified that he never called ARR all hype not quality. so lets leave that. One thing i will continue to make is that ARR is still young and has ways to go before he can compared to IR . He is just a talented music director who has composed super hit songs in both Hindi and tamil. He may one day reach or even go beyond the level of IR . So

KR, lets not come to any hasty conclusions that ARR's hype has not matched his output. Lets wait . One thing you should understand is that in today's world marketing is everything. ARR just happened to be in his prime during this period and hence his works get a lot of publicity and are marketed very aggressively in all modes of media. Moroever since he has done a lot of hit hindi songs as well , the area of publicity encompasses the entire country and not just TN. Its all about being in the right place at the right time. ARR is at the right place at the right time with talent and work to back it up.
    IR in his prime never had these advantages(atleast not to the extent of what we have now) and he also never seriously wanted to get into Hindi music field, which could have got him more publicity. Again the same argument could be attributed to MSV as well when compared to IR's times.
    Finally Vijay, IR does not need the symphony or RPO to be considered a Maestro. For me and every genuine music lover would agree i think, IR is a Maestro regardless of symphony. Lets not try to degrade a person of IR's stature just to counter someone else's comments about ARR. Both are great composers so lets leave it at that.

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast