• Scintillating Seventies - Light & Semi-Classical

3 5.00%
  • Scintillating Seventies - Advent of WCM Technical Depth

4 6.67%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Early 80's fusion

30 50.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - Mid 80's Auto-Pilot Smooth orhcestration

15 25.00%
  • Exhilirating Eighties - back to folk in the late 80's(Ramarajan etc)

2 3.33%
  • New Age Nineties - Early 90's classics(Devar Magan, Ejamaan etc)

3 5.00%
  • New Age Nineties - The Malayalam Majesty

1 1.67%
  • Maestro's Magic - 2000's

1 1.67%
Page 213 of 347 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215223263313 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 3468

Thread: Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Senior Member Platinum Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that would be "chukkalu themmannA thetn)chukku rAnA". UObscure tidbit; april okkatti vidudhala was remade in tamil with (murali?)-shobana as Sathiya Vakku which has a tamil version of chukkallu themmannA, which makes it another song in tamil with same tune as chitira sevvaanam. A bit like thumbi vaa though not at the same scale as thumbi vaa reincarnations. One more tidbit: april okkatti also has a reworked version of Chinna mani kuyilae currently in focus in app engine's SPB-IR series - the lyrics go "chalti ka naam gaadi". I believe that also has a tamil version in sathiya vaakku

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Yeah, that would be "chukkalu themmannA thetn)chukku rAnA". UObscure tidbit; april okkatti vidudhala was remade in tamil with (murali?)-shobana as Sathiya Vakku which has a tamil version of chukkallu themmannA, which makes it another song in tamil with same tune as chitira sevvaanam. A bit like thumbi vaa though not at the same scale as thumbi vaa reincarnations. One more tidbit: april okkatti also has a reworked version of Chinna mani kuyilae currently in focus in app engine's SPB-IR series - the lyrics go "chalti ka naam gaadi". I believe that also has a tamil version in sathiya vaakku
    Link to "Sathiya Vaakku" album please?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was listening to the album 'Raani Theni'. There's this song 'koodi vandha mEgamEy', which had me scratching my head, for I was damn sure I'd heard the tune before. After running some quick scans in my head I was able to figure it out - Sandha Podhulla from Abhilasha (Telugu) shares the same tune. However, the Thamizh version is a bayangara sOga paattu (MV's usual sogam pouring singing for these kinda songs) as opposed to the absolutely sprightly, happy (and better orchestrated) Telugu version.
    Plummare, any connection between these two movies, or just another instance of tune recycling?

Senior Member Veteran Hubber V_S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    KV,
    Good catch! As far as I know Rani Theni was released in 1982, but Abhilasha was released in 1983. May be songs were composed first for Abhilasha, not sure and reused in Rani Theni or vice versa. Story wise I think there is no connection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KV View Post
    Was listening to the album 'Raani Theni'. There's this song 'koodi vandha mEgamEy', which had me scratching my head, for I was damn sure I'd heard the tune before. After running some quick scans in my head I was able to figure it out - Sandha Podhulla from Abhilasha (Telugu) shares the same tune. However, the Thamizh version is a bayangara sOga paattu (MV's usual sogam pouring singing for these kinda songs) as opposed to the absolutely sprightly, happy (and better orchestrated) Telugu version.
    Enjoyed this one, esp. the soga paattu, but would have never caught the connection you pointed out, thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

cute song "Ennai Mannamulla Ponnu" sung teasingly by S. Janaki, Revathi always a fave, love her expressions!

SPB's sad version with his teary voice...just as good in that sweetness that comes from melancholy...

Mayilaadum - pick of the album IMO......owned totally by SPB's teasing, concealed smile voice...

"Chinna Pasanga Naanga" album: http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00093
    Last edited by Querida; 21st December 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, V_Sji!

Que, thanks for bringing up CPN. Mayilaadum is such a charming song. Never heard this song in any concerts/shows so far. Terribly unnoticed.
    A little incident related to this movie - about two or three weeks back, while channel surfing on a lazy weekend afternoon, I caught the start of this film on Jaya TV (or was is Raj?). Chinna Pasanga Naanga - the name rang no bells in my head. As the title card and opening credits rolled out, what instantly caught my attention was the BGM. A lovely solo flute playing along with some earthy folk drums - absolutely mesmerising. I was convinced that this was the handwork of the man, the only one who could possibly conjure somthing like this for some obscure film. And then a few minutes later, the title credits confirmed my hunch, it was indeed mr. vallal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Listening to Oruvar Vaazhum Aalayam. What a fine work of music composition, beautiful.
    Shanmuga Priyan is listed as its director. Was this his first film?
    Anyone seen this one? Just curious on knowing what inspired Raaja to give such songs for this film, that too most of them classical based numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    KV, it was possibly his first one. Murali Srinivas gae the details some time back in Ilayathilagam Prabhu thread but I don't remember now . But a) it starred sivakumar with his standard drone b) Rahman with his lack of any tone c) Ambi chechi playing a great dancer(I think) d)an expressionless Nizhalgal Rohini. Ilayathilagam was the only saving grace in this tale of a grumpy old musician(you know who) and his bitter life in the aftermath of his beloved's death(ambika). His daughter bears the brunt of his temper, then a lot of triangular machinations happen between Rahman, Rohini and Prabhu.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I say triangle, it isn't a strict triangle ofcourse - there is no Rahman-Prabhu angle. Only, Rahman-Rohini and Prabhu-Rohini