Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: WATER - Deepa Metha - A.R.Rahman

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Scale's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet alias. I doubt its release both audio & movie in India. Thats what I heard from ARR Yahoo groups. I just listened 1ce online. Another Masterpiece . Lots of Folk & Classcal stuff. Needs more listening.

Awaiting its official audio release anywhere in the world...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like

About Piya Ho - Class

About Piya Ho - Class

To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:45:54 -0000
    Subject: [arr] Song "Piya Ho" from Water is beyond words

This song will capture you. It won't let you go. It has me in its
    grip. One of the most powerful and haunting tracks I have ever
    heard. Rahman's genius shines in a different way. This album does not boast of complex wizzardry, stark arrangements, fast beats, modern sounds, slick styles. It's as pure of a modern Hindi
    soundtrack as you will ever find. Not very diverse. Songs are quite
    similar in nature, style, singing. Classical, folk, spiritual,
    melodious, sheer brilliance. His best? I don't think so. One of
    his best? Most certainly. I can see why he rated it 10/10. Rahman
    poured his soul into these songs.

Buy this album for "Piya Ho" if not for anything else. 6 something
    minutes of absolute bliss. Based on Raaga Todi, this song is for the ages. A modern classic. If you ever want to get a glimpse into
    Rahman's soul, listen to this song with full attention. I don't even
    understand the lyrics, but the melody, the haunting chords, the
    mesmerizing and soft rhythms are out of this world.

Rahman...........I don't konw what to say............

One word to describe this album...........PURE.

Post Thanks / Like

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Scale for the information. This album will prove to this world and joker fans of other md who is ruling the IFM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alias! Official release on 8th Nov 2005.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/c...&labelid=38976

Still doubt its indian release. I might have to borrow it from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    To: arrahmanfans@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:15:45 -0000
    Subject: [arr] Different versions of Water songs

ARR fans!

Remember back in October when the songs from Water were released by
    mistake with the low quality sound? I bought the album from itunes this weekend, thanks to Gopal, and the songs, now in CD quality, are a bit different from the original ones we heard. Mind you, the melody, singing, and most other structural characteristics of the songs are the same as the original ones. However, Rahman has added some new intrumentation and percussion to the new ones, like added string arrangements, tabla, ghatam. The endings of Aayo Re and Piya Ho are also a bit different. The songs are richer and more ornamented, beautifully crafted and simply mindblowing. For example, during the Antara of Naina Neer, the tanpura is introduced and heard alongside some beautiful haunting chords with strings and synth.....I was literally bowled over when I heard that and couldn't sleep that night thinking about that song. Aayo Re has some added string arrangements. Tabla is now added to Piya Ho. Easily some of Rahman's most powerful and haunting compositions to date, if not THE MOST. However, disappointing is the fact that the song "Bangari Marori" is not in the release. And, by the way, Michyael Dana did a superb job with the BGM....soothing, haunting, classical, just beautiful with lots of Sitar, Santoor, Flute, Tanpura, Tabla, Strings.

A good friend and ARR fan suggested that perhaps the version we heard back in October with Bangari Marori may be released as a separate soundtrack in India later under the music label Saregama.

Post Thanks / Like
    Planet Bollywood rated 10/10 for this album.

http://planetbollywood.com/Music/Water/

Hats off to Rahman Sir

Rahman races out of the gates with the very lively Chanchan. As the track begins, you feel like Rahman is going to infuse the number with all sorts of instruments, however he tames himself quite nicely here. He strictly uses rich Indian-based instruments like the santoor to freshen the tune up a bit. The steady rhythm and quick pace provide Sukhwinder Singh and Sadhna Sargam with an open field to frolic in. It’s so evident that these Rahmantics are doing nothing but having plain fun! The Aayo Re Laayo Re refrains are just brilliantly rendered! Raqeeb Alam is a fresh lyricist to fly alongside Rahman and his words keep up with the pace of the track. All in all this is a fabulous piece to listen to.

So A.R. Rahman’s Holi Re from Mangal Pandey didn’t sit well with the critics. Let’s go back to the year 2000 for a truly special Holi track, Shyaam Rang Bhar Do. This specialty features Richa Sharma, alongside Naqeeb Alam and Surjo Bhattacharya. Now remember, this was composed in the year 2000, much before Richa Sharma got her feet wet in the playback industry with hits like, Maahi Ve, Kuch Naa Kaho, Dhooriyaa, and Rabba. I must say, she sounds better than ever in this colorful energizer. Raqeeb Alam and Surjo Bhattacharya are excellent in their roles as well. Once again, Rahman reframes from using anything from the west, as he composes a beauty here. Raqeeb Alam’s lyrics are innovative while writing on a subject that has been sung about numerous times in the past. Bravo to the entire crew of Shyaam Rang Bhar Do.

Rahman slows down the tempo considerably with Piya Ho. Even for Rahman, this romantic piece is quite off-beat. The strength of Piya Ho lies in the somber backdrops of the rhythm. It’s as if you listen close enough, you can almost feel the pain, seclusion, and misfortune of the ill-fated widows during the pre-independent era in India. You almost think this is going to be a Sadhna Sargam solo before Sukhwinder Singh makes a lonesome appearance during the end of the song. Although both renditions are up to par, one might have liked to hear a Kavita Krishnamurty or a Sujata Bhattacharya render this type of song rather than Sadhna Sargam. The solemn mood is augmented by Ganga, who seems to be intertwined in the musical rhythms in her chorus-like role. Raqeeb Alam’s aren’t as breakthrough as they are in Shyaam Rang Bhar Do but they fill the gap. This is a piece that I would love to see play itself on screen!

Naina Neer Baha is very similar to Piya Ho, except that it has a different rhythm and a different melody. Nonetheless, Sargam fits the part here in yet another mellow number. However, this one has a peculiar fragrance to it, as Rahman gives it a touch of the sitar and a unique synth flute sound that makes its way in the middle of the piece. As does Piya Ho, this tracks could belong to the ghazal genre, and definitely wont find a place with the masses. Lyrically, the song will be appreciated by the lovers of ghazals and poetry.

“Water was a wonderful experience. I didn’t even realize I was singing for a film or that A.R. Rahman was recording a song. I sang all the variations I could conceive of. It was like rediscovering myself.” – Kaushiki Chakraborty [Indian Express]

As Rahman is known to do, he asked Kaushiki Charkaborty, daughter of acclaimed Pandit Ajay Chakraborty, to do a practice session. He provided her with no music and asked her to sing various variations of a given tune and ended up recording the entire piece while she was completely unaware. The tune: Vaishnava Jana To. Yes, Rahman waves his wand at the immortal Gujurati bhajan. Father and daughter sing side by side to come up with a purely classical rendition of Gandhiji’s favorite bhajan. However, the chorus takes on the task of rendering most of the piece. We hear Rahman’s flute only for the second time in this album, as you only wish this piece was longer. Terminating at 3:00, the piece leaves you with a sense of dissatisfaction. Maybe if Rahman put more time in elongating the song, our anticipation would have been rewarded. Nonetheless, it is a fine entrance for Pandit Ajay Chakraborty’s daughter.

Senior Member Devoted Hubber ansa400's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When is the audio releasing in India? Are all the 20 tracks by A R R 'Scale'?

Post Thanks / Like
    No news about its release in India. ARR YG also doubts!.

From ARR YG,

Totally 20 tracks: 4- songs by ARR (1 banghri morari isnt included in overseas releases) & rest are the BGM's by Michale Dyana. Seams BGM's were also good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Listen to Water tracks here,

http://www.raaga.com/channels/hindi/movie/H000969.html

Piya Ho is really Mesmerising I am completely thrown out of RDB's craze now. Definetly the best track of recent times. Another Sadhana's classic. Sukhwinder singh intro is superb like NI in TBB (RDB). Check the above review of Piya Ho on the top of this page by Mr.Ajith M.

Sham Rang is instantly catchy. Aayo Re & Naina Neer is stupendous. ARR's combo with Deepa M & Shyam Benegal (from hindi) is something extraordinary like MR/Rajiv M's combo in tamil for music lovers.

2005 has been a fantastic year for ARR especially in melodies (HHPY, GhoomP, Desh KM, Mayilirage, thigu thigu, TuBB, Khoon,Lukka C now Piya ho ) Kisna, Bose, Ah Aah, RDB, Water.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast