Page 377 of 410 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379387 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,770 of 4092

Thread: Box Office Collections

Member Devoted Hubber ALWAR_AJITH's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Siv.S View Post
    moviecrow reports that as per rentrak MYR 676,868 from 29 screens

http://www.moviecrow.com/News/7238/y...-office-report
    check out how many screens for week day bro.. they just give bull shit numbers..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live and let Live...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Post Thanks / Like
    ‘Jupiter Ascending’ tops Malaysian box office, followed by Tamil thriller
    ja
    'Jupiter Ascending' tops the Malaysian movie box office scene while 'Spongebob' cleans up the North American box office. — jupiterascending.com pic
    DESPITE faring averagely at the North American box office, Jupiter Ascending seems to be the favourite in Malaysia.
    According to GSC’s Top 10 movie listing for the closing weekend, the fantasy flick starring Mila Kunis and Channing Tatum, holds the top spot, followed by Yennai Arindhaal, a Tamil thriller starring Ajith Kumar, Trisha Krishnan and Anushka.
    Japanese anime The Last: Naruto The Movie holds 3rd place while epic drama Unbroken, directed by Angelina Jolie, and The Wedding Ringer comedy, starring Kevin Hart, Josh Gad and Olivia Thirlby, comes in 4th and 5th respectively.
    The Imitation Game and Project Almanac take 6th and 7th places, followed by local comedy drama Suamiku Encik Perfect 10, starring Aaron Aziz and Lisa Surihani.
    Action thriller Wild Card, starring Jason Statham, and Chinese romantic-comedy My Mr Right, telling the adventures of a group of newly-weds and lovers from Taiwan and China who sign up for a romantic getaway in Malaysia, take up the last two spots.

North American Box Office
    AFP reports that at the North American box office, The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water has dethroned American Sniper in its first week of release.
    The animated 3D movie, in which the title character attempts to recover a stolen burger recipe, debuts with US$55.4 million (RM197 million) in ticket sales, according to box office tracker Exhibitor Relations.
    American Sniper, relegated to second place, has US$23.3 million (RM82.9 million) in ticket sales as it finally fell from top spot.
    Since its release, the highly acclaimed movie has bagged half-dozen Oscar nominations, including a best actor nod for Bradley Cooper in the title role.
    Jupiter Ascending sold the third most tickets this week, with a disappointing US$18.4 million (RM65.46 million) in its opening weekend.
    Seventh Son, a 3D fantasy-action film starring Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore, debuts in fourth spot, earning US$7.2 million (RM25.62 million).
    Project Almanac takes fifth place with US$5.23 million (RM18.61 million) in ticket sales.
    Paddington, a big-screen adaptation of the family classic about a bear lost in the big city, earns a whisker less for sixth place with US$5.22 million (RM18.57 million).
    The Wedding Ringer takes US$4.72 million (RM16.79 million) for seventh place, followed by The Imitation Game, which stars Benedict Cumberbatch as code-breaking genius Alan Turing, at US$4.69 million (RM16.69 million) for eighth spot.
    Black or White, a racially-charged drama starring Kevin Costner as a widowed grandfather battling to retain custody of his mixed-race granddaughter, is in ninth place with US$4.5 million (RM16 million).
    Jennifer Lopez’s steamy The Boy Next Door, in which the pop diva plays a divorcee who has an ill-advised affair with a very young male neighbour, comes in 10th with US$4.1 million (RM15 million).
    Have something to add to this story? Let us know with a comment below.
    Tags: Ajith, box-office, Jupiter Ascending, movie, Tamil

Read more: http://www.therakyatpost.com/life/mo...#ixzz3RMmv50JM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Live and let Live...

Senior Member Veteran Hubber CEDYBLUE's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    -deleted-

First of all, I am not going to use cuss words or any foul language to pass my message and reply to this post.

The article header is 'Is YA a profitable venture'? By profit, I guess he meant the profit for distributors and theatre owners and not the government. So Kaththi was definitely in a better position of being profitable to the above said segments, thanks to the tax exemption it got in the state.

Now coming to the first weekend collections of both movies, both had their own set of advantages. One was released during the festival weekend whereas the other released solo with no competition for 8 days. One received mixed critic reviews whereas the other one got thumbs up from most renowned reviewers. One had almost nil promotions. Even the trailer released only couple of days before the film release whereas the other one had good promotions. And past history of GVM doesn’t matter here because he has always hit the bull's eye with his action films. Comparing YA with NEPV or Nadunisi Naaigal is as stupid as comparing Ai and Nanban as both are different genres. Above all, one film's release was in doubt till the previous day eve because of the thideer eelam supporters while other one had the smoothest of releases.

In spite of all these hurdles, Kaththi ended up with 7.8 Crores in Chennai Box Office, $624,445 in the USA, $193k in Aus. I request you to see if YA manages to reach these milestones at least before declaring a hands down win. I don’t want to bring in UK, Kerala and ROI and all, at least for now.

Quote Originally Posted by BM View Post
    How generous to mention a $480K+ collected movie (in 5 days weekend) as $400K and compare it to a 6 days weekend movie

This is what US distributor says about the hurdles this movie faced in US and still made money for them.

With all this negative factors Yennai Arindhaal 5 days weekend collection including premier shows = $480432
    Per day collection = $96086

The movie which he compares,

kathi 6 days weekend collection including premier shows = $570207
    Per day collection = $95034

This is for US
    Let’s do a 5 comparison for both movies. Day 1 through Day 5 including premier shows – YA - $480k, Kaththi - $511k
    Normally per day average is not a good indicator because the no.of screens/locations also matter, but here I think the no. of screens for both are 98 (or thereabouts); so you can do the per day/screen average if you like now that both numbers are 5 day numbers. Diwali is not a festival in US (definitely not the full week); and let’s be fair here…Kaththi had SRK’s Happy New Year to deal with in US from Friday.

The US distributor has acknowledged the numbers are good, but I don’t know if they are still in the profit zone. If they are, it’s great for them and the makers.

Now for AUS,

Yennai Arindhaal's 4 days weekend collection = $153,680
    Per day collection = $38,420

Kathi 5 days weekend collection = $160,979
    Per day collection = $32,196
    YA released in 12 screens; whereas Kaththi released in 10. So while I respect the intent of building averages here, the better way to do a comparison would be per screen. Meaning the $38k per day for YA came from 12 screens vs $32k coming from 10.

YA : $38,420 / 12 = $3,201
    Kaththi : $32,196 / 10 = $3,219

In Tamil Nadu,

Yennai Arindhaal's 4 days weekend gross = 32C
    Per day gross = 8C

Kathi 5 days weekend gross = 36c
    Per day gross = 7.2C

Now, deducting 1st days collection of both the films to know how well the respective movies held at box office from day 2,

Yennai arindhaal's 1st day (Thurs) TN gross = 11C.
    So the remaining 3 days TN weekend gross = 32C - 11C = 21C
    Per day gross from Fri, Sat and Sun = 7C (mixed word of mouth.. average grosser.. seriously.. you arsehole..)

Kathi's 1st day (Wed) TN gross = 12.5C.
    So the remaining 4 days TN weekend gross = 36C - 12.5C = 23.5C
    Per day gross from Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun = 5.8C
    Again, like the point about Australia above, you are comparing numbers blindly to derive the per day without taking into consideration the no. of screens/shows across TN. Also, Kaththi had an additional work day in between (Diwali doesn’t mean all the 5 days were off days). Also, I read some great posts here in this very hub that YA was released all across Chennai city and adjoining centers in almost all screens; except 3 cinemas. So why is the opening day still low compared to Kaththi; which shared screens with Poojai (released in 300 screens in TN)

Now Chennai,

Yennai Arindhaal's 4 day collection = Rs 2,92,55,762
    Per day collection = Rs 73,13,941

Kathi 5 days collection = Rs 3,01,09,817
    Per day collection = Rs 60,21,963

Now further shrinking the comparison by comparing only the weekend Chennai Box Office collection from Fri-Sun,

Yennai Arindhaal Fri,Sat,Sun had 486 shows and collected = Rs 2,17,95,337
    Per show collection = Rs 44,846

Kathi Fri,Sat,Sun had 411 shows and collected = Rs 1,74,79,424
    Per show collection = Rs 42,529
    Here your math as per the BW numbers is absolutely correct and I do not want to debate this. My only question here is the same as above. YA released in ALL screens in Chennai except 3 (as per a post in YA thread before release). As per the above report, YA had 486 shows for 3 days whereas Kaththi had 411 shows. This means YA has 75 shows extra, i.e. only 25 shows per day more than Kaththi?

Yennai Arindhaal won hands down especially in TN and CBO.[/B]
    Yeah, if you take out the day of release when the kings and queens of opening arrive with a trumpet, or if you ignore the fact that it was a solo showdown or 'saturated' showdown, as ever, hands down, it is.
    Last edited by CEDYBLUE; 11th February 2015 at 12:15 AM.
    In admiration of Mr. Evergreen Young, Mr. Box Office, Mr. Dance, Mr. MASS - | Ilayathalapathy VIJAY |

5. Thanks Dammy R thanked for this post
    Likes ecureuhapis, gane14, uruzalari liked this post
    Junior Member Senior Hubber Dammy R's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cedy - as always...brilliant post!!

On the UK, KL and other regions, I think we should get some more facts straight here. I keep seeing and reading posts that refer to KL, UK etc being small markets for Tamil films. Let me put some things in perspective -
    Most decent Blockbusters in Malaysia collect between $1.5Mn to $2Mn; which equates to about INR 9 Crores plus approx. (Obviously there are exceptions like Endhiran, Sivaji which are beyond $2Mn);
    Similarly, in the US, Kaththi was the first non Rajni/Kamal movie that made it beyond $500k (INR 3 crores); and we know $1Mn in US is an outstanding figure; which equates to about INR 6 Crores. Now I see folks publishing US and Malaysia numbers for all movies ever since I joined the hub; however, we brush aside KL, KA, UK etc stating they are very small markets. Here are some facts and figures to look at and think about :
    In Kerala, Kaththi made 10.3 Crores (Thuppaki made 10.7Cr); which is much more or close to the US/Malaysia blockbusters.
    Similarly, in KA, Kaththi made 10cr plus business.
    In UK, Kaththi was GBP 320k plus; which is almost equal to INR 3 crores.
    Kaththi with just a $193k ended up being all time #2 at Aus box office after its entire run. People here are using these smaller centers to show how close the gap is with YA; but want to ignore UK, KL, KA etc because the difference there is much higher.

Vijay has expanded his fan base and market in these regions, so what is wrong in Vijay fans posting these and celebrating his successes there. Why should Vijay fans not post and feel proud….. just because movies of another star cannot collect half of what Vijay movies make there? It is much better to say UK da than saying Mayajaal da.

Box office mojo doesn’t report first weekend numbers for tamil movies like earlier for some reason. However, Kaththi too was quoted to be at 1.7mn MYR (from 32 reported screens) after first weekend; even though it was released in much more screens in the first week. So this issue of uncertainty is there for all hero films, so there is no point in trying to show one actor as being the victim.

And on that point about being in a different league, for once I agree….because Vijay has reached a stage where his movies don’t have to wait for even the first schedule to get over for distributors to queue madly to buy the rights, unlike some others where the rights are not sold even 10 days before release most of the time. This, to me, is a huge testimony to Vijay’s success and star power at the box office.
    Last edited by Dammy R; 11th February 2015 at 12:16 AM.

7. Likes ecureuhapis, CEDYBLUE, gane14 liked this post
    Senior Member Diamond Hubber ajaybaskar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    DAMMY,

This is the classic case of both sides being right. KL,KA,UK are big markets for us and small markets for them.
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.

- Bernard Shaw

Post Thanks / Like
    Malaysia, yeah....

Kaththi it was RM 1,767,970 from reported 32 screens right?

Rentrak, I guess would be tracking the same set of theatres all the time, I guess.

Most of the recent 29 should be part of Kaththi's 32 right?

If that's the case, Kaththi's numbers are all the more impressive.
    In admiration of Mr. Evergreen Young, Mr. Box Office, Mr. Dance, Mr. MASS - | Ilayathalapathy VIJAY |

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    DAMMY,

This is the classic case of both sides being right. KL,KA,UK are big markets for us and small markets for them.
    If Malaysia, UK, KL and Karnataka give a combined difference of 15 crores, that's pretty significant. Especially given that Chennai would always be even-stevens thanks to holy woods.
    Last edited by CEDYBLUE; 11th February 2015 at 12:28 AM.

Junior Member Senior Hubber Dammy R's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaybaskar View Post
    DAMMY,

Yes, Ajay. Someone was talking about trends here.... I feel the actual trend is even more dangerous : if their favorite actors movies are doing well, put Vijay down in the name of celebration....if the movie isn't doing well, ridicule and blame Vijay. Extremely frustrating to read some silly and kiddish excuses blaming Vijay for "not so good" outcomes, instead of acknowledging the outcome .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CEDYBLUE View Post
    Malaysia, yeah....

Kaththi it was RM 1,767,970 from reported 32 screens right?

Rentrak, I guess would be tracking the same set of theatres all the time, I guess.

Most of the recent 29 should be part of Kaththi's 32 right?

If that's the case, Kaththi's numbers are all the more impressive.
    how u know they get correct figure?? they just give false information regarding screens numbers and BO report
    Live and let Live...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ALWAR_AJITH View Post
    how u know they get correct figure?? they just give false information regarding screens numbers and BO report
    How do you know that 'they' give false numbers?