Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your latest read?

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favourite too, 19thmay. I haven't watched the film entirely, but whatever I saw was bad that I didn't make it a point to watch. You should also try his 'A thousand splendid suns', have heard very good things about it.
    நெலயா நில்லாது நினைவில் வரும் நெறங்களே

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber Querida's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AravindMano View Post
    My favourite too, 19thmay. I haven't watched the film entirely, but whatever I saw was bad that I didn't make it a point to watch. You should also try his 'A thousand splendid suns', have heard very good things about it.
    Actually having read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" I feel he was trying so hard to be different but still get the same punch and starkness as his first masterful novel...was in parts very disappointing for me.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber 19thmay's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks Aravind. Its in my queue.

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    The movie is pretty good too. But the emotions come out only while reading the book.Que agree with you, "The Thousand Splendid Suns" was a disappointment. It was pretty touchy too but nowhere close to "The Kite Runner"

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Querida / Wibha - Haven't read ATSS, just heard from people about that. I am planning to read it next month.
    நெலயா நில்லாது நினைவில் வரும் நெறங்களே

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber satissh_r's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm currently reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", it has been that good so far that I hope to finish it in a couple of days. Has anyone else here read it? How are the authors other 2 books?
    Patience, Forgiveness and Understanding are great tools for humanity...! Spread the Love - A R Rahman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by satissh_r View Post
    I'm currently reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", it has been that good so far that I hope to finish it in a couple of days. Has anyone else here read it? How are the authors other 2 books?
    I have this book, but have yet to read it, those who have read them are die-hard fans now (and keep telling me to read it AND scramble to find the his other books)...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm always on the look out for South Asian Fiction,

Two books that really impressed were Manju Kapur's "The Immigrant" an intellectual and insightful look into the process of immigration, culture shock, westernization, feminism and relationships...

Indu Sunderesan's "Shadow Princess" about Shah Jahan's daughters, mostly his eldest daughter Jahanara. A captivating, detail-rich, personal view of the history of this Mogul family and what happens after Mumtaz Mahal's death, not totally centered on the Taj Mahal as you would think.
    Am looking forward to reading her "Feast of Roses" and "The Twenthieth Wife" both of which focus on Jahangir's wife (Shah Jahan's stepmother), these three books are framed as the Taj Mahal Trilogy.

I enjoyed her other book "Splendour of Silence" but her forte is certainly historical fiction.

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber satissh_r's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Querida View Post
    I have this book, but have yet to read it, those who have read them are die-hard fans now (and keep telling me to read it AND scramble to find the his other books)...
    Done reading the book and I liked it mostly, it was crass and obscene in some parts and that is one reason I wont recommend it to everyone. If you don't mind reading stuff like that and like mysteries, then it is a must read
    Patience, Forgiveness and Understanding are great tools for humanity...! Spread the Love - A R Rahman

Senior Member Veteran Hubber baroque's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good and Easy read......

BLACK ORCHIDS.....REX STOUT, a Nero Wolfe mystery.

REX STOUT.jpg

Two novels.

1.BLACK ORCHIDS.
    There is a murder in a flower show.
    Wolfe is obsessed with black orchids and Archie was made to go to the show everyday and at the final day, they went together.
    On that final day of the show, there was a murder.
    Now Nero wolfe & Co going to solve the case. At the end, Nero wolfe got the possession of the black orchids as a fee,he was longing.

2.CORDIALLY INVITED TO MEET DEATH.

Bess Huddleston is a snobbish party planner for wealthy folks.
    Someone is sending nasty anonymous letters and she needs Nero Wolfe's help to stop the nonsense before it turns ugly and ruined her professionally.

Funny Archie and Nero wolfe is cranky and entertaining ... you will like it.

Good and Easy read.

vinatha.
    Last edited by baroque; 26th June 2011 at 11:27 AM.

Page 45 of 56 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast