PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Forever

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

venkkiram
21st August 2013, 09:57 AM
இந்த முறை பெண்களுக்கான 2013 யு.எஸ்.ஓபன் கோப்பையை தலைவி அஸ்ரங்கா வெல்ல எல்லாம் வல்ல சோட்டாணிக்கரை பகவதியை வேண்டிக் கொள்கிறேன்.

omega
23rd August 2013, 12:29 AM
Roger ends up in Rafa's quarter in US Open. So the Bull can feast on his pigeon again!!!
Excellent timing again by the Bull to boast up his meaningless H2H!! Way to go Bull!!

Possible matches:

Federer
1R: Zemlja
2R: Berlocq
3R: Querrey
4R: Nishikori
Q: Nadal
SF: Ferrer/Janowicz (Gulbis, Raonic outsiders)
F: Djokovic/Murray/Del Potro

Djokovic:
1R: Berankis
2R: Becker/Rosol
3R: Dimitrov
4R: Fognini/Paire
Q: Del Potro
SF: Murray/Berdych
F: Nadal/Federer

Murray
1R: Llodra
2R: Hanescu
3R: Monaco
4R: Almagro
Q: Berdych
SF: Djokovic/Del Potro
F: Nadal/Federer

Nadal
1R: Harrison
2R: Pospisil
3R: Davydenko/Verdasco
4R: Isner
Q: Federer
SF: Ferrer/Janowicz (Gulbis, Raonic outsiders)

Ferrer
1R: Qualifier
2R: Bellucci/Agut
3R: Gulbis
4R: Janowicz
Q: Gasquet/Raonic
SF: Nadal/Federer

Arvind Srinivasan
23rd August 2013, 12:34 AM
^ Thanks for the draws, Omega.That was quick .Looking forward to a good tourney.

omega
23rd August 2013, 06:46 PM
Brad Gilbert says "USOpen surface is slow and fluffy" (espn)...
We all know who it favours the most!! Seriously can't understand what ATP wants (other than 5+hours of basline bashing!!)

raagadevan
23rd August 2013, 08:39 PM
US Open 2013: time is catching up with Roger Federer, the Swiss master craftsman

By Oliver Brown - The Telegraph, August 23, 2013

"To Pete Sampras he was, and is, 'a legend, a stud and an icon'. For even John McEnroe, that tough-talking son of Queens, he is 'the most beautiful I have ever seen play'. In the estimation of the late essayist David Foster Wallace he represents simply – well, perhaps not so simply – the apotheosis of 'kinaesthetic virtuosity'".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/usopen/10257961/US-Open-2013-time-is-catching-up-with-Roger-Federer-the-Swiss-master-craftsman.html

leosimha
24th August 2013, 09:07 AM
Roger ends up in Rafa's quarter in US Open. So the Bull can feast on his pigeon again!!!
Excellent timing again by the Bull to boast up his meaningless H2H!! Way to go Bull!!

:idontgetit: Can you please elaborate?

leosimha
24th August 2013, 09:09 AM
We all know who it favours the most!! Seriously can't understand what ATP wants (other than 5+hours of basline bashing!!)

Is it so? Thought this cement surface to be the fastest of all the surfaces.

ajithfederer
24th August 2013, 11:34 AM
What?? :omg: seriously :banghead:

ajithfederer
24th August 2013, 11:40 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=7688155

omega
24th August 2013, 05:50 PM
:idontgetit: Can you please elaborate?

Thought I was stating the obvious!!

Inspite of winning his first grandslam in 2005, Bull never showed up at the US Open Finals until 2010. Expecially between 2005 & 2009 when Roger was promptly in the Finals.
Bull can now beat his bunny this year at the only GS even where they have never met, at a time when his bunny is at his weakest of his career.

raagadevan
25th August 2013, 03:23 AM
Roger Federer Can Still Get His Game Face On

By Michael Steinberger - The New York Times, August 23, 2013.

"This article updates the print version, which had gone to press before Federer was defeated by Nadal on Aug. 16."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/25/magazine/roger-federer-can-still-get-his-game-face-on.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

raagadevan
25th August 2013, 07:10 AM
Rafa's "meaningless H2H" record against the top 10 players

By ATP Staff - (Source: ATP News - August 20, 2013) http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/08/34/Nadal-Top-30-Winning-Record.aspx

"If the measure of a champion is the ability to defeat the best in the game, Rafael Nadal would come out on top on the ATP World Tour. The Spaniard, who captured his ninth title of the season on Sunday at the Western & Southern Open, has a winning record against all of the players currently in the Top 30 of the Emirates ATP Rankings. "Nadal has a winning percentage of over .650 against each of them, with the exception of World No. 1 Novak Djokovic - the competitor he has faced the highest number of times. Nadal leads their FedEx ATP Head2Head 21-15, for a .583 winning percentage. "Against Roger Federer, whom he defeated in three sets in the Cincinnati quarter-finals, Nadal has a 21-10 mark and a .677 winning percentage. Djokovic and Federer are the only players to have beaten the Spaniard more than five times."

Nadal vs. Top 10 (as of 19 August 2013):

1. Novak Djokovic: 21-15
3. Andy Murray: 13-5
4. David Ferrer: 20-4
5. Tomas Berdych: 15-3
6. Juan Martin del Potro: 8-3
7. Roger Federer: 21-10
8. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: 8-3
9. Richard Gasquet: 10-1
10. Stanislas Wawrinka: 10-0

leosimha
25th August 2013, 03:39 PM
Thought I was stating the obvious!!

Inspite of winning his first grandslam in 2005, Bull never showed up at the US Open Finals until 2010. Expecially between 2005 & 2009 when Roger was promptly in the Finals.
Bull can now beat his bunny this year at the only GS even where they have never met, at a time when his bunny is at his weakest of his career.

true that the bull hasn't been in the USO finals between 2005 to 2009 until 2010 but couldn't meet during that time too. though I would tip the bull in the QF match-up if they meet up but I would rate this QF match-up 50-50 but with a slight edge to Feddy over the bull coz he has vast experience than the bull on this court. It would be entertaining and I wouldn't say Feddy the weakest taking only age into consideration. Feddy can bounce back to form. It all happens in his mentality to get over Nadal from his mind.

omega
25th August 2013, 06:24 PM
Rafa's "meaningless H2H" record against the top 10 players

By ATP Staff - (Source: ATP News - August 20, 2013) http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/08/34/Nadal-Top-30-Winning-Record.aspx

"If the measure of a champion is the ability to defeat the best in the game, Rafael Nadal would come out on top on the ATP World Tour. The Spaniard, who captured his ninth title of the season on Sunday at the Western & Southern Open, has a winning record against all of the players currently in the Top 30 of the Emirates ATP Rankings. "Nadal has a winning percentage of over .650 against each of them, with the exception of World No. 1 Novak Djokovic - the competitor he has faced the highest number of times. Nadal leads their FedEx ATP Head2Head 21-15, for a .583 winning percentage. "Against Roger Federer, whom he defeated in three sets in the Cincinnati quarter-finals, Nadal has a 21-10 mark and a .677 winning percentage. Djokovic and Federer are the only players to have beaten the Spaniard more than five times."

Nadal vs. Top 10 (as of 19 August 2013):

1. Novak Djokovic: 21-15
3. Andy Murray: 13-5
4. David Ferrer: 20-4
5. Tomas Berdych: 15-3
6. Juan Martin del Potro: 8-3
7. Roger Federer: 21-10
8. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: 8-3
9. Richard Gasquet: 10-1
10. Stanislas Wawrinka: 10-0

Wow!! I mean waareh wow!!
Forgot Bull has lost this many matches. I suspect he was injured in those...

leosimha
25th August 2013, 06:38 PM
Wow!! I mean waareh wow!!
Forgot Bull has lost this many matches. I suspect he was injured in those...

:-D :smokesmirk: :smokesmile:

raagadevan
27th August 2013, 08:06 AM
Roger Federer's first match at the US Open postponed to tomorrow due to rain...

Arvind Srinivasan
27th August 2013, 08:25 AM
Guess it will be played in the morning session after the Kvitova match. Good that they are planning on getting a retractable roof to the Arthur Ashe stadium. A good number of games have been affected by the rain in recent years.

venkkiram
27th August 2013, 08:47 AM
Guess it will be played in the morning session after the Kvitova match. Good that they are planning on getting a retractable roof to the Arthur Ashe stadium. A good number of games have been affected by the rain in recent years. செப்டம்பர் மாதம் - நியூயார்க் பகுதிக்கு மழைப் பருவம். தெரிந்தே இதையெல்லாம் எப்படி ஏற்பாடு செய்கிறார்கள் எனத் தெரியவில்லை. ரசிகர்களுக்கு இழைக்கும் பெரிய அநீதி. அரையிறுதி / இறுதிப் போட்டிகளுக்கு டிக்கட் எடுத்தவன் எல்லாம் வயித்துல நெருப்பைத் தான் கட்டிக்கிட்டு இருக்கணும். எந்த நேரத்திலும் ஒத்திப் போடப் படலாம் போட்டிகள். வார இறுதியில் நடக்கும் போட்டிகள் திங்கள், செவ்வாய் போன்ற நாட்களுக்கு சென்றால் அவ்வளவுதான். ஆட்டம் ஆரம்பிக்கும் நேரம் கூட மாறுபடும். ஒரே கூத்துதான். கூரை போடுவதற்கு நல்லாத் தான் யோசிக்கிறாங்க்ய!

raagadevan
27th August 2013, 09:23 AM
More "meaningless" ATP statistics

Roger Federer

(Source: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpf324.html )

Career Singles Titles: 77
Career Doubles titles: 8
Career matches won: 910
Career matches lost: 209
Year to date matches Won: 32
Year to date matches lost: 11
Current rank for singles: 7
Career prize money: US$ 77,775,114
Year to date prize money for singles: US$ 1,757,971
Year to date prize money for doubles: US$ 2,365

Rafa Nadal

Source: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpn409.html

Career Singles Titles: 59
Career matches won: 636
Career matches lost: 125
Year to date matches Won: 53
Year to date matches lost: 3
Current rank for singles: 2
Career prize money: US$ 56,910,697
Year to date prize money for singles: US$ 6,838,849
Year to date prize money for doubles: US$ 10,020

Wow!! I mean waareh wow!! :-D :smokesmirk: :smokesmile:

leosimha
27th August 2013, 10:18 AM
raagavendran and omega sir, I am very poor in statistics. though I can see the statistical figures, I really can't deduce anything out of it. can you please explain the H2H statistical record of Federer vs Nadal and why it is meaningless?

leosimha
27th August 2013, 10:23 AM
Nadal defeats Harrison 6-4 6-2 6-2

Arvind Srinivasan
27th August 2013, 10:36 AM
செப்டம்பர் மாதம் - நியூயார்க் பகுதிக்கு மழைப் பருவம். தெரிந்தே இதையெல்லாம் எப்படி ஏற்பாடு செய்கிறார்கள் எனத் தெரியவில்லை. ரசிகர்களுக்கு இழைக்கும் பெரிய அநீதி. அரையிறுதி / இறுதிப் போட்டிகளுக்கு டிக்கட் எடுத்தவன் எல்லாம் வயித்துல நெருப்பைத் தான் கட்டிக்கிட்டு இருக்கணும். எந்த நேரத்திலும் ஒத்திப் போடப் படலாம் போட்டிகள். வார இறுதியில் நடக்கும் போட்டிகள் திங்கள், செவ்வாய் போன்ற நாட்களுக்கு சென்றால் அவ்வளவுதான். ஆட்டம் ஆரம்பிக்கும் நேரம் கூட மாறுபடும். ஒரே கூத்துதான். கூரை போடுவதற்கு நல்லாத் தான் யோசிக்கிறாங்க்ய!

So from what you said, I guess the retracted roof is long overdue. Glad they are thinking of doing it atleast now. It is unfortunate for the fan though .

venkkiram
27th August 2013, 10:42 AM
Sloane Stephens இன்னைக்கு ஜெயிச்சதே பெரியவிஷயம். தாவு தீர்ந்திடிச்சி அம்மணிக்கு! மொதோ ரவுண்டே மூன்று செட்கள் வரை நீடித்து டை பிரேக்கர் வரை போயிடுச்சி! நான் கூட, இந்த முறை செரினாவை வீட்டுக்கு அனுப்பக் கூடிய ஒரு வீராங்கனை என நினைத்துக் கொண்டிருந்தேன்.

omega
27th August 2013, 04:30 PM
More "meaningless" ATP statistics

Roger Federer

(Source: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpf324.html )

Career Singles Titles: 77
Career matches won: 910
Career matches lost: 209
Year to date matches Won: 32
Year to date matches lost: 11
Current rank for singles: 7
Career prize money: US$ 77,775,114
Year to date prize money for singles: US$ 1,757,971
Year to date prize money for doubles: US$ 2,365

Rafa Nadal

Source: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/players/overview/atpn409.html

Career Singles Titles: 59
Career matches won: 636
Career matches lost: 125
Year to date matches Won: 53
Year to date matches lost: 3
Current rank for singles: 2
Career prize money: US$ 56,910,697
Year to date prize money for singles: US$ 6,838,849
Year to date prize money for doubles: US$ 10,020

Wow!! I mean waareh wow!! :-D :smokesmirk: :smokesmile:

Absolutely!! Amazed that the Bull has lost 125 career matches.... How the hell did that happen??

raagadevan
27th August 2013, 07:22 PM
Absolutely!! Amazed that the Bull has lost 125 career matches.... How the hell did that happen??

It happened the exact same way as "Chocolate" losing 209 career matches!!!

leosimha
27th August 2013, 07:29 PM
scratching my head. nadal has won 83.57% of the matches against feddy's 81.32%.

raagadevan
27th August 2013, 09:18 PM
raagavendran, I am very poor in statistics. though I can see the statistical figures, I really can't deduce anything out of it. can you please explain the H2H statistical record of Federer vs Nadal and why it is meaningless?

leosimha: The head-to-head statistics show that 27-year-old Rafa Nadal has played extremely well on all surfaces, and against all the other top 30 top players on the ATP tour. His record against all players, including 32-year-old Roger Federer, is very impressive. He still has (hopefully) at least five more years of play left; and he could and would surpass and break many, if not all, present records. For that reason, I believe the statistics are indeed very meaningful.

scratching my head. nadal has won 83.57% of the matches against feddy's 81.32%.

Be careful making such statements; there are people who still think H2H comparisons are "meaningless"!

By the way, it is raagadevan; not raagavendran! :)

JamesDap
27th August 2013, 10:02 PM
I think ALL records is really stretching it because he has only two Wimbledon titles as of date. So matching or surpassing Federer's 7 is going to take some doing. He MAY surpass Borg's 3 French-Wimbledon doubles but they won't be in three consecutive years....unless he has a fresh streak of back to back RG and SW for three years in a row. A lot of it depends on his fitness. He was simply amazing in Cincinnati but so too he was amazing in the 2012 and 2013 clay court seasons. Injury has hampered his schedule for the last couple of years. Any which way, it's good to have Rafa back for now because Djoko-Murray matches are very boring IMHO.

leosimha
28th August 2013, 12:06 AM
aiyoo aiyoo crimson tide.....shall we say it the other way, can federer match nadal's 8 FO? Nadal beat Federer on French Clay, Aus Hard Court, and on Wimbledon Grass. Now there is a very probable chance of Nadal meating Federer in the QF of US Hard Court.....this is it....hoping for an entertaining match...if we are saying aging Feddy, then we will have to say creaky knees of Nadal...so it is going to be creaky knees vs aging....

And I guess Borg had 5 FO-Wimbledon doubles consecutively....

leosimha
28th August 2013, 12:06 AM
thanks for the clarifications raagadevan :)

VinodKumar's
28th August 2013, 12:36 AM
Wozniacki close it outt.. innoru set lam wait panni paaka mudiyaathu...

leosimha
28th August 2013, 12:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lkC7d-mrkMQ

Rafa Nadal's simply superb amazing overhead shot..see the ball spinning....wow...vamos rafa...

leosimha
28th August 2013, 12:47 AM
Wozniacki close it outt.. innoru set lam wait panni paaka mudiyaathu...

are you rooting for wozniacki to win the US open? anyways she has won the first round. lets see how far she goes...now for the feddy match...

VinodKumar's
28th August 2013, 12:49 AM
I was waiting for her to finish the match so that fed match will get started...

leosimha
28th August 2013, 12:51 AM
I was waiting for her to finish the match so that fed match will get started...

yeah yeah... I know :) naangallum feddy match-kku thaan waiting... :)

VinodKumar's
28th August 2013, 01:09 AM
Started with double fault lol

JamesDap
28th August 2013, 06:48 AM
aiyoo aiyoo crimson tide.....shall we say it the other way, can federer match nadal's 8 FO? Nadal beat Federer on French Clay, Aus Hard Court, and on Wimbledon Grass. Now there is a very probable chance of Nadal meating Federer in the QF of US Hard Court.....this is it....hoping for an entertaining match...if we are saying aging Feddy, then we will have to say creaky knees of Nadal...so it is going to be creaky knees vs aging....

And I guess Borg had 5 FO-Wimbledon doubles consecutively....

Never said anything about the 8 RGs. Rafa is very obviously the greatest clay court player of all times. It's also not about Fed v/s Nadal. I am not interested in these petty player battles that fans keep fighting. I only responded from a factual viewpoint...Nadal bagging the Wimbledon record or Borg's consecutive RG-Wimb doubles looks unlikely, hence to say he will get ALL records is exaggeration. That is all. And I presume there is nothing offending about that? because Sampras didn't have all records and neither does Federer. No one player does.

And as for Borg, no, he won RG in 74, 75 and 81 but not Wimb and no RG in 76 and 77 but Wimb. So there were 'only' three years that he won both RG and Wimb. Since then, only Rafa has done it...in 2008 and 2010.

raagadevan
28th August 2013, 07:43 AM
leosimha: He still has (hopefully) at least five more years of play left; and he could and would surpass and break many, if not all, present records.

Nadal bagging the Wimbledon record or Borg's consecutive RG-Wimb doubles looks unlikely, hence to say he will get ALL records is exaggeration. That is all.

The term "many, if not all records" does not exactly mean "ALL records."!

JamesDap
28th August 2013, 07:32 PM
It doesn't suggest exactly that but it indicates that that is likely. No one tennis player owns all records so it's not even a possibility. That is all I wanted to say...I know it's a somewhat pedantic objection, sorry.

leosimha
28th August 2013, 09:30 PM
watch out for another probable match in Davydenko vs Nadal in the 3rd round....Davydenko is the only player to have a better H2H record against Nadal....

leosimha
28th August 2013, 09:30 PM
Guess Nadal's line up to the finals look far tougher than the other top players...

VinodKumar's
28th August 2013, 09:48 PM
watch out for another probable match in Davydenko vs Nadal in the 3rd round....Davydenko is the only player to have a better H2H record against Nadal....

Lukas Rosol :lol2:.

leosimha
28th August 2013, 11:50 PM
Lukas Rosol :lol2:.

Rosol lost :evil:

VinodKumar's
29th August 2013, 12:15 AM
Rosol lost :evil:

Yeah I know. I thought u made that point in general.

omega
29th August 2013, 12:33 AM

Bull will just bulldoze him. No worries. Again its all about timing you see...

omega
29th August 2013, 12:34 AM
Guess Nadal's line up to the finals look far tougher than the other top players...

I thought Fed & Ferrer were his bunnies!! How could Bull's line up be tougher?? He could beat those two guys with just one leg (like how he did Novak in RG '12)

Arvind Srinivasan
29th August 2013, 05:03 AM
Indian Tennis news: Somdev Devvarman advances to round 2 of the USO after winning a hard fought match against Lukas Lacko - 4-6 6-1 6-2 4-6 6-4

VinodKumar's
29th August 2013, 11:31 AM
Indian Tennis news: Somdev Devvarman advances to round 2 of the USO after winning a hard fought match against Lukas Lacko - 4-6 6-1 6-2 4-6 6-4

:clap: :clap:

leosimha
29th August 2013, 12:35 PM

:clap: congrats to som..dev dev..varman :)

leosimha
29th August 2013, 12:36 PM
Bull will just bulldoze him. No worries. Again its all about timing you see...

I thought Fed & Ferrer were his bunnies!! How could Bull's line up be tougher?? He could beat those two guys with just one leg (like how he did Novak in RG '12)

OMG, unga vaayila neiy(ghee) sakkarai(sugar) :)

leosimha
29th August 2013, 12:46 PM
Yeah I know. I thought u made that point in general.

L.Rosol lost to B.Becker in the first round of US Open 2013 and B.Becker is going to meet N.Djokovic in the 2nd round.

And yes Nadal did lose to Rosol in the Wimbledon 2012 but for any H2H record a minimum of 3 matches must be played between them. I hope you got the point. :) And Davydenko is the only player a have better H2H record against Nadal.

VinodKumar's
29th August 2013, 01:11 PM
but for any H2H record a minimum of 3 matches must be played between them. I hope you got the point. :smile: And Davydenko is the only player a have better H2H record against Nadal.And Davydenko is the only player a have better H2H record against Nadal.

I got your point. Ok now defend this .. Domink Hrbaty has better H2H (3-1) against Nadal ;). before 2005 / after 2005 lam sollakoodathu :).

VinodKumar's
29th August 2013, 01:17 PM
Leo, Again I forgot your are talking about this USO. Sorry.

leosimha
29th August 2013, 01:21 PM
I got your point. Ok now defend this .. Domink Hrbaty has better H2H (3-1) against Nadal ;). before 2005 / after 2005 lam sollakoodathu :).

hmmm...I don't know or can defend if it is true..I am not trying to prove my point here...but trying to just put the facts here :) if the above is true...then yes Nadal doesn't have a better H2H against this player and yes he does have better H2H than any of the TOP 30-40 players in the ATP currently.

leosimha
29th August 2013, 01:22 PM
Leo, Again I forgot your are talking about this USO. Sorry.

bro, no sorry. :) we get to know the facts, share it and then carry on. :) and yes if possible a meaningful discussion. ;)

Arvind Srinivasan
29th August 2013, 08:47 PM
:clap: congrats to som..dev dev..varman :)

:clap: :clap:

He faces Andrea Seppi next. Thats gonna be a real tough one. Will be great if he gives Seppi a good fight though. I watched the first round match yesterday. Somdev benefitted a lot from Lacko's mistakes ( 73 Unforced errors). You cant expect that from Seppi.

leosimha
29th August 2013, 09:14 PM
He faces Andrea Seppi next. Thats gonna be a real tough one. Will be great if he gives Seppi a good fight though. I watched the first round match yesterday. Somdev benefitted a lot from Lacko's mistakes ( 73 Unforced errors). You cant expect that from Seppi.

how many winners from devvarman?

Arvind Srinivasan
29th August 2013, 09:53 PM
^30 winners opposed to 36 unforced errors.

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 12:11 AM
Venus Williams knocked out of U.S. Open!

Arvind Srinivasan
30th August 2013, 03:30 AM
A good match from Federer. Still not 100% though. Needs to be at his best when against the likes of the top 3.

Arvind Srinivasan
30th August 2013, 07:48 AM
Posting this due to the sudden interest in Davydenko- He's been ousted from the tourney by I. Dodig 6-1 6-4 6-4.

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 08:00 AM
Nadal Vs Silva
6-2 6-1 6-0
:clap:

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 08:04 AM
Nadal faces Dodig in 3rd round!

leosimha
30th August 2013, 10:01 AM
Posting this due to the sudden interest in Davydenko- He's been ousted from the tourney by I. Dodig 6-1 6-4 6-4.

Thank god...but who knows about this new guy Dodig.... :roll:

leosimha
30th August 2013, 10:03 AM
Nadal Vs Silva
6-2 6-1 6-0

6-0 wow...that's great.... :) guess around two hours to complete the match...

leosimha
30th August 2013, 10:07 AM

oh man...this guy is a big serving guy.....16 aces in this match....nadal...guess you got a tough one here before meeting feddy....

raagadevan
30th August 2013, 02:12 PM
More Indian Tennis News: Leander Paes , Divij Sharan, Rohan Bopanna, and Sania Mirza (with their respective partners) win their first round matches in Doubles; Mahesh Bhupathi loses.

JamesDap
30th August 2013, 07:08 PM
Love Nadal's approach on hard courts this year. He is consciously trying to attack and why not...he is such a good mover. He just needs to move forwards a bit rather than side to side all the time. I only see a Rosol-like unknown quantity upsetting him...not so much the Feds and Djokos. They all look a bit tired and jaded and Nadal is fresh and charged up. Would love to see him win the title and shut up all those "he is a clay court bully" haters.

VinodKumar's
30th August 2013, 07:18 PM
Love Nadal's approach on hard courts this year. He is consciously trying to attack and why not...he is such a good mover. He just needs to move forwards a bit rather than side to side all the time. I only see a Rosol-like unknown quantity upsetting him...not so much the Feds and Djokos. They all look a bit tired and jaded and Nadal is fresh and charged up. Would love to see him win the title and shut up all those "he is a clay court bully" haters.

It's true. Nothing to hate in that.

JamesDap
30th August 2013, 07:25 PM
If it were really true, he would be unbeaten on clay rather than hard court this year. He has won Indian Wells, Montreal, Cincinnati and beaten Federer, Djoko, Del Potro among others en route.

Arvind Srinivasan
30th August 2013, 07:29 PM
There is a good chance we might see Isner pitted against Nadal in the 4R. Loved their final in Cincinnati. Will be interesting to see how this one goes.

leosimha
30th August 2013, 07:34 PM
There is a good chance we might see Isner pitted against Nadal in the 4R. Loved their final in Cincinnati. Will be interesting to see how this one goes.

yes :shaking: tough ones for nadal first against dodig and then isner and federer if all goes well.....

Arvind Srinivasan
30th August 2013, 07:39 PM
There was an interesting discussion during the Federer match about the way the courts have changed. The arguement posed was as to whether Roger had got the raw deal with the change in courts. A good point was made on the monotony of serving and volleying and the likes of a Sampras running through the draw with just the serve alone. It is tough to disagree seeing how the long rallies have made the game a lot more entertaining for the crowd. The occasional serving and volleying does have its charm, but I guess the organisers are forced to have slower courts. Its not just for the players but also for the people watching it.

JamesDap
30th August 2013, 07:43 PM
I think it played INTO Federer's hands during his peak from 2004 to 2008. He could stay right back against big hitters like Roddick, Blake, Safin and beat them by converting defence into offence. Which is exactly how Nadal, Djoko and Murray have played to beat him by and by. Fed still had the game to beat the Roddick generation but even a chance of an upset was practically ruled out once the courts slowed. Wimbledon slowed down in 2001...the first time that Fed made an impression. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Arvind Srinivasan
30th August 2013, 08:18 PM
^ A point was made as to how Federer adapted from being a true blue serve volleyer. Federer to his credit can rip the ball and the slower courts do help in generating more spin. The spin is one of Federer's most potent attack imo. He's next to Nadal on the number of rotations per minute on the ball. So the notion that the courts have been overtly disadvantageous to Federer is not true. The one thing that hurts Federer though is his stamina. Over the years its been hard for him to play the excrucuatingly long rallies and that too against the likes of Nadal and Djokovic.

JamesDap
30th August 2013, 08:41 PM
I don't know if he was ever an out and out serve volleyer or just an all court player with the ability to play serve volley...like say Bjorn Borg. Even in 2003, he played Roddick from the baseline but went S&V in the final against Philipoussis. Yes, the difference in the way Nadal, Djoko play is they hit very heavy and keep at it relentlessly. That is not really Fed's forte though he has tried admirably well to keep pace with them at that. He is more about amazing wrists which he uses to suddenly and unexpected change direction and stun the opponent. Speaking of slow courts, if you watched the Llodra-Murray match, you wouldn't notice it. And I can swear I didn't when I watched the Rafter-Ivanisevic Wimb final in 2001 (when the courts were supposed to have already been slowed down). So it's also about racquets and their impact on playing styles. Even if courts were as fast today as in the 90s, the racquets by themselves would give players more options and put incoming volleyers at greater risk of getting passed. This might be unpalatable for old school tennis fans but this is just how tennis has evolved over the years.

omega
30th August 2013, 09:29 PM
There was an interesting discussion during the Federer match about the way the courts have changed. The arguement posed was as to whether Roger had got the raw deal with the change in courts. A good point was made on the monotony of serving and volleying and the likes of a Sampras running through the draw with just the serve alone. It is tough to disagree seeing how the long rallies have made the game a lot more entertaining for the crowd. The occasional serving and volleying does have its charm, but I guess the organisers are forced to have slower courts. Its not just for the players but also for the people watching it.

This is exactly why we have a FO where all these pushers can hit all day long (6+ hours borefest)...
How about some variety in the GS surfaces like we used to have before.
Its a shame how the likes of Lendl, Becker, Sampras would find it extremely difficult to achieve the Career Grand Slams...
Lendl literally sacrificed playing the entire Clay season (his favourite surface) just to get that one elusive Wimbledon title, but still couldn't.
Thats how tough it was to quickly adjust to Grass after a long clay season..

Nowadays it has become a joke to achieve the Career Grand Slam, with players not have to change even a bit to achieve the same.
Just stand 6 feet behind the baseline and hit all day long beating your opponent purely on your tenacity with no variety at all. I know it is not easy to do, but it still...

omega
30th August 2013, 09:31 PM
^ A point was made as to how Federer adapted from being a true blue serve volleyer. Federer to his credit can rip the ball and the slower courts do help in generating more spin. The spin is one of Federer's most potent attack imo. He's next to Nadal on the number of rotations per minute on the ball. So the notion that the courts have been overtly disadvantageous to Federer is not true. The one thing that hurts Federer though is his stamina. Over the years its been hard for him to play the excrucuatingly long rallies and that too against the likes of Nadal and Djokovic.

Don't pair Fed with the other three. If there is one guy who could fit into any era, it would be Federer. He has all the tools needed for that. Put him on ice & he would figure out how to win it. Fed has put on lot of miles on his body (having played over 1100 matches on the tour). Lets see how the other 3 would figure when they have that much of mileage..

Arvind Srinivasan
30th August 2013, 09:40 PM
This is exactly why we have a FO where all these pushers can hit all day long (6+ hours borefest)...
How about some variety in the GS surfaces like we used to have before.
Its a shame how the likes of Lendl, Becker, Sampras would find it extremely difficult to achieve the Career Grand Slams...
Lendl literally sacrificed playing the entire Clay season (his favourite surface) just to get that one elusive Wimbledon title, but still couldn't.
Thats how tough it was to quickly adjust to Grass after a long clay season..

Nowadays it has become a joke to achieve the Career Grand Slam, with players not have to change even a bit to achieve the same.
Just stand 6 feet behind the baseline and hit all day long beating your opponent purely on your tenacity with no variety at all. I know it is not easy to do, but it still...

Don't pair Fed with the other three. If there is one guy who could fit into any era, it would be Federer. He has all the tools needed for that. Put him on ice & he would figure out how to win it. Fed has put on lot of miles on his body (having played over 1100 matches on the tour). Lets see how the other 3 would figure when they have that much of mileage..

True. Hard to disagree. Federer has his foot on both places. Hard to see Nadal, Djokovic survive in the earlier era.

Arvind Srinivasan
30th August 2013, 09:44 PM
I don't know if he was ever an out and out serve volleyer or just an all court player with the ability to play serve volley...like say Bjorn Borg. Even in 2003, he played Roddick from the baseline but went S&V in the final against Philipoussis. Yes, the difference in the way Nadal, Djoko play is they hit very heavy and keep at it relentlessly. That is not really Fed's forte though he has tried admirably well to keep pace with them at that. He is more about amazing wrists which he uses to suddenly and unexpected change direction and stun the opponent. Speaking of slow courts, if you watched the Llodra-Murray match, you wouldn't notice it. And I can swear I didn't when I watched the Rafter-Ivanisevic Wimb final in 2001 (when the courts were supposed to have already been slowed down). So it's also about racquets and their impact on playing styles. Even if courts were as fast today as in the 90s, the racquets by themselves would give players more options and put incoming volleyers at greater risk of getting passed. This might be unpalatable for old school tennis fans but this is just how tennis has evolved over the years.

True. But he was basically a serve and volleyer when he started out. But kudos to him for adapting and maximising his all court play.

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 09:46 PM
True. Hard to disagree. Federer has his foot on both places. Hard to see Nadal, Djokovic survive in the earlier era. என்ன பெரிய பழைய எரா? நாங்களும்தான் பார்த்தோமே! ஆண்டி ராடிக் என்ற செத்த பாம்பையே எம்பூட்டு நாளா அடிச்சிக்கிட்டு இருந்தார்னு! ஆண்களுக்கான டென்னிஸில் இப்போ உள்ள போட்டி/பலம்/நுட்பம் வேற எந்த எராவிலுமே காண முடியாது!

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 09:50 PM
Federer with Nadal, Djoko, Andy, Ferrer, Del Porto, Berdych >>>>> Federer with any old Era

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 09:59 PM
ராலி பார்க்கும் போதே தெரியலையா! இந்த எராவின் நேர்த்தியை! ராலி செய்வதற்கும் வித்தை தெரிஞ்சிருக்கணும். பழைய எராவில் ராலி அவ்வளவாக இல்லை யென்றால் அவர்களின் அணுகுமுறை அப்படி. சர்வீஸ் போட்டவுடனே ஒரு யுத்தியும் இல்லாமலே நெட்டுக்கு ஓடி வருவது. மொத்து வாங்க வேண்டியது. இப்போது அப்படி இல்லை. நெட்டை நோக்கி எப்போ நெருங்கி வரணும் என புரிதல் இருக்கு. எல்லா எராக்களிலும் சர்வீஸ் போடும் திறன் பற்றி பேசுங்கள். இரண்டாம் முறை சர்வீஸிலும் ஏஸ் அதுவும் t இடத்தில் போடக் கூடிய சாம்பிராஸ் போன்ற ஜாம்பவான்கள் இப்போது இல்லை. அந்த விஷயத்தில் பழைய எறா பெஸ்ட்.

JamesDap
30th August 2013, 10:24 PM
"This is exactly why we have a FO where all these pushers can hit all day long (6+ hours borefest)..."

Of the previous top 4 - i.e. before Fed slipped to 7 recently - only Murray can somewhat be described as a pusher and he too has begun to get more aggressive. Everybody who plays from the baseline is not a pusher. If that was so, Agassi must be one too and he was the only player after Laver to achieve a career slam in the open era before Fed and Rafa. And speaking of which...

"Nowadays it has become a joke to achieve the Career Grand Slam, with players not have to change even a bit to achieve the same."

Only Fed and Rafa have achieved the career slam since Agassi. Djoko has come close but he hasn't achieved it yet and Murray didn't even bother turning up at RG this year. People act like any tom, dick and harry has achieved a career slam in the current era which is not at all true. And as for changing one's style, even Agassi played in more or less the same way on all surfaces and still achieved the feat. So, the homogenization of tennis was already taking shape in the 90s...it just took the next generation to learn from Agassi and emulate his style. Agassi and not Sampras was the most influential player of the 90s, in spite of winning fewer slams. History will record that his approach of playing an offensive baseline game with a double backhand is what has become more popular with current players...except Fed and a few others.

Arvind Srinivasan
30th August 2013, 10:51 PM
என்ன பெரிய பழைய எரா? நாங்களும்தான் பார்த்தோமே! ஆண்டி ராடிக் என்ற செத்த பாம்பையே எம்பூட்டு நாளா அடிச்சிக்கிட்டு இருந்தார்னு! ஆண்களுக்கான டென்னிஸில் இப்போ உள்ள போட்டி/பலம்/நுட்பம் வேற எந்த எராவிலுமே காண முடியாது!

Federer with Nadal, Djoko, Andy, Ferrer, Del Porto, Berdych >>>>> Federer with any old Era

ராலி பார்க்கும் போதே தெரியலையா! இந்த எராவின் நேர்த்தியை! ராலி செய்வதற்கும் வித்தை தெரிஞ்சிருக்கணும். பழைய எராவில் ராலி அவ்வளவாக இல்லை யென்றால் அவர்களின் அணுகுமுறை அப்படி. சர்வீஸ் போட்டவுடனே ஒரு யுத்தியும் இல்லாமலே நெட்டுக்கு ஓடி வருவது. மொத்து வாங்க வேண்டியது. இப்போது அப்படி இல்லை. நெட்டை நோக்கி எப்போ நெருங்கி வரணும் என புரிதல் இருக்கு. எல்லா எராக்களிலும் சர்வீஸ் போடும் திறன் பற்றி பேசுங்கள். இரண்டாம் முறை சர்வீஸிலும் ஏஸ் அதுவும் t இடத்தில் போடக் கூடிய சாம்பிராஸ் போன்ற ஜாம்பவான்கள் இப்போது இல்லை. அந்த விஷயத்தில் பழைய எறா பெஸ்ட்.

Rallies have made the game more interesting to the people true. But like how Omega said, the slower courts have also forced tennis players to abandone a style of play that goes by the name Serve and Volleying. You need a balance in everything. But you hardly get to see SnV even on the faster courts.

omega
30th August 2013, 11:18 PM
"This is exactly why we have a FO where all these pushers can hit all day long (6+ hours borefest)..."

Of the previous top 4 - i.e. before Fed slipped to 7 recently - only Murray can somewhat be described as a pusher and he too has begun to get more aggressive. Everybody who plays from the baseline is not a pusher. If that was so, Agassi must be one too and he was the only player after Laver to achieve a career slam in the open era before Fed and Rafa. And speaking of which...

"Nowadays it has become a joke to achieve the Career Grand Slam, with players not have to change even a bit to achieve the same."

Only Fed and Rafa have achieved the career slam since Agassi. Djoko has come close but he hasn't achieved it yet and Murray didn't even bother turning up at RG this year. People act like any tom, dick and harry has achieved a career slam in the current era which is not at all true. And as for changing one's style, even Agassi played in more or less the same way on all surfaces and still achieved the feat. So, the homogenization of tennis was already taking shape in the 90s...it just took the next generation to learn from Agassi and emulate his style. Agassi and not Sampras was the most influential player of the 90s, in spite of winning fewer slams. History will record that his approach of playing an offensive baseline game with a double backhand is what has become more popular with current players...except Fed and a few others.

Anyone who unnecessarily prolongs a rally is a pusher....This includes Federer also...
Time & again I have seem those 20+ shot rallies having multiple oppurtunities to finish it early being just pushed further & further until one pulls up the trigger for an UE..

There is a big difference between Agassi & Nadal/Murray....Novak is atleast an aggressive baseliner like Agassi...

omega
30th August 2013, 11:22 PM

Keep all your yuthi to yourself....It needs a tremendous skill to S&V....
Put any of your current era pusher in the 90s era you will know what I am talking about.

For eg. the only match Pete & Fed played at Wimbledon, both had almost exact same number of points won at the net...
In those era, current top players stand little chance. Same way Pete would not have much chance with homogenization of courts...
No wonder Nadal calls 90's era tennis as not real tennis. How stupid of him!!

omega
30th August 2013, 11:23 PM
என்ன பெரிய பழைய எரா? நாங்களும்தான் பார்த்தோமே! ஆண்டி ராடிக் என்ற செத்த பாம்பையே எம்பூட்டு நாளா அடிச்சிக்கிட்டு இருந்தார்னு! ஆண்களுக்கான டென்னிஸில் இப்போ உள்ள போட்டி/பலம்/நுட்பம் வேற எந்த எராவிலுமே காண முடியாது!

Same way Nadal also is beating a setha paambu in Federer!!
How can you call Nadal greater when he has absolutely has no competition on clay & all he has beat his bunny in Federer!!

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 11:38 PM
Simply the best: The golden era of men's tennis

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/story/2012-08-27/us-open-golden-era-in-mens-tennis/57339052/1

omega
30th August 2013, 11:48 PM

Only your hatred towards Fed is showing up!!
When I say earlier era it is about 90's which even Fed was not part of. So please understand what is being said....

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 11:48 PM
From Stefi's FB wall about Andy's win at Wimbledon!

What a HUGE well deserved and well earned win for the newly crowned Wimbledon champion Andy Murray! Murray stayed focused throughout the final and continued to play aggressively even when Djokovic tried changing things up. Djokovic's semifinal two days before - the longest in Wimbledon history - seemed to have left him less than 100% physically. The crowd, the city, the country all seemed to be wanting and believing in Andy to go all the way, especially in that incredible last game of the match. I must say it has been a privilege watching Andy over the years, persevere over the challenges of having to beat arguably the 3 greatest players of all time. I believe his achievements have only just begun. What a win for tennis to see the big 3 in the game suddenly become the big 4. Can't wait to see Andy's game thrive off this accomplishment, he is going to get better as a result. One deep breathe for tennis and here comes the US Open!

venkkiram
30th August 2013, 11:51 PM
Only your hatred towards Fed is showing up!!
When I say earlier era it is about 90's which even Fed was not part of. So please understand what is being said.... உங்களோட புரிதல் அப்படி இருக்கையில் நான் எப்படி பொறுப்பாக முடியும்? Federer-க்கு சரியான போட்டியே இந்த எரா ஆட்டக் காரர்களே! அதுதான் என் அபிப்ராயம். இந்த எராவிலும் முன்னிலையில் இருந்தாரே Federer. அப்புறம் என்ன!

omega
31st August 2013, 12:08 AM
உங்களோட புரிதல் அப்படி இருக்கையில் நான் எப்படி பொறுப்பாக முடியும்? Federer-க்கு சரியான போட்டியே இந்த எரா ஆட்டக் காரர்களே! அதுதான் என் அபிப்ராயம். இந்த எராவிலும் முன்னிலையில் இருந்தாரே Federer. அப்புறம் என்ன!

OK...If you say so..

CEDYBLUE
31st August 2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks a ton Aravind for bringing in a discussion that gives an opportunity to bring to the forefront, a long lost art in Tennis - Serve and Volley. For some one who lost interest in watching tennis a couple of years after Pete Sampras called it quits, the happenings for the good part of the last 8 years have done nothing to ignite the interest back.

As we grew up watching the likes of Borris Becker, Pete Sampras, Ivanisevic, Micheal Stich, Richard Krajicek, Pat Rafter, Tim Henman and Mark Philippoussis execute the art in enthralling fashion, the Andre Agassi influenced generation (as someone has mentioned) is hard to take.

The same generation of women's tennis saw players like of Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, and co fight from the baseline with the exception of probably Jana Navotna. For me the difference between men's and women's game those days was S&V. A powerful service followed by an ability to quickly close out a point was the men's game to me.

Pete Sampras, was undoubtably my favorite. It was joy to watch him counter the agility of Agassi, the guile of a Pat Rafter or the brute force/power of an Ivanisevic or a Krajicek.

Apart from a handful of games involving Roger, i haven't followed the game enough to actively compare/discuss the two era's.

Would be following the discussion with keen interest though :). Thanks once again Aravind.

omega
31st August 2013, 12:17 AM
Thanks a ton Aravind for bringing in a discussion that gives an opportunity to bring to the forefront, a long lost art in Tennis - Serve and Volley. For some one who lost interest in watching tennis a couple of years after Pete Sampras called it quits, the happenings for the good part of the last 8 years have done nothing to ignite the interest back.

As we grew up watching the likes of Borris Becker, Pete Sampras, Ivanisevic, Micheal Stich, Richard Krajicek, Pat Rafter, Tim Henman and Mark Philippoussis execute the art in enthralling fashion, the Andre Agassi influenced generation (as someone has mentioned) is hard to take.

The same generation of women's tennis saw players like of Steffi Graf, Monica Seles, and co fight from the baseline with the exception of probably Jana Navotna. For me the difference between men's and women's game those days were S&V. A powerful service followed by an ability to quickly close out a point was the men's game to me.

Pete Sampras, was undoubtably my favorite.

Apart from a handful of games involving Roger, i haven't followed the game enough to actively compare/discuss the two era's.

Unfortunately this era followers think its just easy piecy to S&V...Little they know that, if this era players had that ability they would love to finish the point quick (atleast for half of the time). They simply lack it & the slowness of all the surfaces have just killed that art!!

You are absolutely right, the macho in watching ATP has long gone & it is almost like watching WTA (with all the grunts & two handed ball bashing with no variety)..

CEDYBLUE
31st August 2013, 12:32 AM

IMO, this is Fed's era. The old era that you are referring to was way-too short with only the ageing Sampras (he almost retired immediately) /Agassi and only the likes of Roddick/Hewitt/Safin to challenge. Nothing to take away from his wins during that period, he clearly had the best all-round game to taken on any type of player, but it's just that it was too short IMO to call it an era.

Fed's era started with the likes of Andy Roddick and it still goes on.

Arvind Srinivasan
31st August 2013, 12:40 AM
IMO, this is Fed's era. The old era that you are referring to was way-too short with only the ageing Sampras (he almost retired immediately) /Agassi and only the likes of Roddick/Hewitt/Safin to challenge. Nothing to take away from his wins during that period, he clearly had the best all-round game to taken on any type of player, but it's just that it was too short IMO to call it an era.

Fed's era started with the likes of Andy Roddick and it still goes on.

+1...

Arvind Srinivasan
31st August 2013, 01:29 AM
Somdev fighting it out against Seppi. He's lost the first set 7-6. But the play in the tie breaker was great. Hope he keeps up the fight.

VinodKumar's
31st August 2013, 01:51 AM
Haven't watched Sampras period tennis to participate in the discussion. Started watching tennis in early 00 only.

I have played tennis for almost 4 years when I was in US (remba perusa lam illa namma oorla tennis ball cricket veladura range-ku). Based on my experience S&V is an art and baseline is profession. To enjoy the game go for volley. More risk and more satisfaction. To win the game stand behind the baseline, put the ball in other court and wait for things to happen. We considered people who can play decent at net as a good player, as only very few were able to do that. It took almost two years for everyone in my area (almost all started playing at the same time) to just win few points in a set at net. I am not saying rallies are easy to play. It has its own difficulties. But

S&V - Sachin's straight drive / Dravid's extra cover drive ... Baseline game - Gayle's monstrous sixer / Dhoni's helicopter shot ...

VinodKumar's
31st August 2013, 02:00 AM

former # 1 , known for his fast serves , 32 career titles, grand slam winner , 3 time Wimbledon finalist == setha baambu. Nalla vela Andy Roddick - ku tamizh theriyaathu.

venkkiram
31st August 2013, 03:05 AM
S&V - Sachin's straight drive / Dravid's extra cover drive ... Baseline game - Gayle's monstrous sixer / Dhoni's helicopter shot ...

aaha! unga comparison pullarikka vaikkuthunga. athuvum Baseline game to Sixer is so good.. You now hijacking this topic to a different level.. Wow!

omega
31st August 2013, 04:08 AM
Just watching a little bit of Murray vs Mayer match....
Even though Murray is in the lead, its Mayer who is playing aggressive tennis, taking the ball on the rise, attacking the net more.
Murray in an ultimate pusher mode!! Ugly at its best...

JamesDap
31st August 2013, 06:09 AM
Anyone who unnecessarily prolongs a rally is a pusher....This includes Federer also...
Time & again I have seem those 20+ shot rallies having multiple oppurtunities to finish it early being just pushed further & further until one pulls up the trigger for an UE..

There is a big difference between Agassi & Nadal/Murray....Novak is atleast an aggressive baseliner like Agassi...

But how exactly is it unnecessary? You can't say that objectively without considering other factors. Do you really want players to make a suicidal approach like Llodra and lose the point just because it would entertain SOME sections of the crowd? They are out there to win at the end of the day. And with the depth and pace of even normal rally balls these days, there is an extreme risk of getting passed unless you choose the right moment. And it has a lot more to do with racquets than courts. This is US Open 2000 final..before the 'slowdown'. Safin just kept passing Sampras all day...this was the new tennis. It was already born before Federer or Nadal came along. People just didn't notice it because they couldn't respect players like Hewitt or Safin for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ34P-ArPWI

So that is all that Federer, Nadal or Djokovic do. They just wait for the right opportunity to come in...same like Connors or Lendl or Agassi. It's just much harder with modern equipment, whereas, conversely, it's easier to fire off winners from the baseline. I have already said Murray is a pusher and he was coached by the premier pusher of the 80s, Brad Gilbert. But Lendl has already brought a lot of difference to his game. He is much more attacking now and that's probably why he has started winning slams at long last. I presume you haven't watched the Murray-Llodra match of this US Open. Murray took the initiative to attack even before Llodra could get in..it was a great match, though very one sided.

CEDYBLUE
31st August 2013, 10:39 AM
But how exactly is it unnecessary? You can't say that objectively without considering other factors. Do you really want players to make a suicidal approach like Llodra and lose the point just because it would entertain SOME sections of the crowd? They are out there to win at the end of the day. And with the depth and pace of even normal rally balls these days, there is an extreme risk of getting passed unless you choose the right moment. And it has a lot more to do with racquets than courts. This is US Open 2000 final..before the 'slowdown'. Safin just kept passing Sampras all day...this was the new tennis. It was already born before Federer or Nadal came along. People just didn't notice it because they couldn't respect players like Hewitt or Safin for some reason.

I remember this match clearly, Pete thumped Hewitt in the semifinals and was swept away by Marat Safin in the Finals. This was 2000 US open. Yes. Exactly the reverse happened the next year. Sampras conquered Safin in the SF and subsequently lost in the finals to Hewitt.

But, the point i am trying to make is Pete Sampras taught Marat Safin a lesson or two about S&V in the SF of US Open 2001 and conquered his conquerer of last year with this trademark and delightful S&V.

In case, you forgot that, here is the video link for the US Open 2001 SF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5K6n6t4J_I

Despite losing to the likes of Safin and Hewitt when he clearly was ageing and slowing down, Sampras ended on a high, next year against Agassi in the US Open 2002.

My point is, at least with Pete, he never allowed anyone to 'own' him during his playing career. Off course, in clay courts everyone owned him, but in Grass and Hard courts, he was close to unstoppable. Agassi, Ivanisevic, Krajicek, Rafter, et all all posed different threats (if you can include the likes of Chang/Courier who both were lighting quick from the baseline) and Sampras always had answers.

When the 'Fab 3 (or 4)' of the current generation hang their boots, this will be one thing that will/should be discussed when deciding their legacy.

I will stop here, basically because i have not watched the current 4 closely to compare them with Pete's era.

VinodKumar's
31st August 2013, 12:16 PM
Delp lost to Hewitt.

leosimha
31st August 2013, 12:36 PM
wow...beautiful discussions going on...hats off... :) federer the best tennis player of all eras..suras...puras.... hats off :notworthy:

leosimha
31st August 2013, 12:39 PM
Delp lost to Hewitt.

too bad....actually the reason why delpo lost is because of the surface being too slow and it suits hewitt who is a marathon player like nadal....they should change the surface next year so that the likes of delpo can win matches.... :)

leosimha
31st August 2013, 12:42 PM

what a beauty......what a beauty....

leosimha
31st August 2013, 12:43 PM
nice discussions, opinions and views from Arvind Srinivasan, crimson king, omega and venkkiram.....

ajithfederer
31st August 2013, 01:21 PM
Some really good points omega and cedyblue. Please keep talking.

omega
31st August 2013, 04:08 PM
wow...beautiful discussions going on...hats off... :) federer the best tennis player of all eras..suras...puras.... hats off :notworthy:

Bull is the best ever. Never before & never again!!

omega
31st August 2013, 04:10 PM
Great, so at the end of a career it would be who owned who is what will be remembered and not their overall achievements & how versatile they were...Excellent!!
Again for 1000th time, Fed's resume & owning by Nadal only says how good Fed was in Clay. Had he been a little weak on clay ( say like a Sampras) he wouldn't have met Nadal in those Clay matches (15 of their 31 meetings), the H2H would have looked much better, but actually would have meant Fed was not good in clay.

A 32nd ranked player way back when he was just 17 in 2004 won against the then No.1 player in their very first meeting (Miami Masters) on his least favourable surface (Hard court). So this guy clearly had something to unsettle the No.1 on his best surface. But somehow he avoids meeting the No.1 on any of the Hardcourt Grandslams until 2009, clearly when the other guy is on his decline. Remember by this time they have already met 19 times (10 times on clay, 4 on Hardcourts, 3 on Grass & 2 on indoor Hardcourts).

omega
31st August 2013, 04:14 PM
too bad....actually the reason why delpo lost is because of the surface being too slow and it suits hewitt who is a marathon player like nadal....they should change the surface next year so that the likes of delpo can win matches.... :)

So much for the Strong era player being beaten by an outdated/injured/old Weak era player!!

JamesDap
31st August 2013, 06:00 PM
"My point is, at least with Pete, he never allowed anyone to 'own' him during his playing career. Off course, in clay courts everyone owned him, but in Grass and Hard courts, he was close to unstoppable. Agassi, Ivanisevic, Krajicek, Rafter, et all all posed different threats (if you can include the likes of Chang/Courier w ho both were lighting quick from the baseline) and Sampras always had answers. "

That depends on what you mean by letting somebody owning him. People cite head to head to argue that Nadal owns Federer. By the same token, Sampras trailed Hewitt 4-5 and Kraijeck 4-6. So it's not true that he always beat all of his opponents on hard and grass court. There were some players who bothered him as well. But none of those players had the consistency to also win lots of slams, unlike Nadal. Speaking of which...

"I remember this match clearly, Pete thumped Hewitt in the semifinals and was swept away by Marat Safin in the Finals. This was 2000 US open. Yes. Exactly the reverse happened the next year. Sampras conquered Safin in the SF and subsequently lost in the finals to Hewitt.

But, the point i am trying to make is Pete Sampras taught Marat Safin a lesson or two about S&V in the SF of US Open 2001 and conquered his conquerer of last year with this trademark and delightful S&V. "

I remember both tournaments well because as a Sampras fan, I was upset to see him lose to these 'upstarts' after working hard to reach the final. So...I never said Safin or Hewitt owned Sampras. You seem to have jumped to that inference of your own. I don't think Hewitt or Safin can begin to approach one of the all time greats of the game that Sampras was. So the point, rather, was that the game had evolved. Even decent, talented players like Hewitt or Safin had begun to beat Sampras before all the fuss about slowing down the courts began. It's the racquets. And I want to bring in another late 90s player into the discussion that people forget about..as in, the full spectrum of his achievements. Gustavo Kuerten. Without ever winning a hard or grass court slam, Kuerten still finished 2000 as no.1. I think he was the first clay court specialist in years and years to achieve that. Borg or Lendl were always good on grass and hard court respectively. Kuerten beat both Agassi and Sampras in the year ending championships to achieve this feat. 2000 was a pretty seismic year in tennis but nobody really noticed because they couldn't think of any of these players as 'great' and therefore dismissed these feats as 'one offs'. Even I am wise only with hindsight. But in my defence I was just getting into junior college then and didn't really analyse tennis. :mrgreen:

JamesDap
31st August 2013, 06:06 PM
"actually the reason why delpo lost is because of the surface being too slow and it suits hewitt who is a marathon player like nadal."

On the other hand, Delpo is a pretty good clay court player and it's Hewitt who loved playing on fast surfaces. He used to just wait for serve and volleyers to come in and pass them. He doesn't have big groundies unlike Delpo so the longer the rally the harder for him to win. But Delpo lacks patience and also doesn't move up and down the court much at all. Djoko lacks Delpo's physical attributes and yet he steps in a little inside the baseline to take the ball early. Delpo just hangs back and wants to fire winners from way behind. Doesn't always work. I for one am glad Hewitt won as is his game is more interesting and tactical and he relies on SHOTS rather than brutal physical power to win.

JamesDap
31st August 2013, 06:08 PM
Great, so at the end of a career it would be who owned who is what will be remembered and not their overall achievements & how versatile they were...Excellent!!
Again for 1000th time, Fed's resume & owning by Nadal only says how good Fed was in Clay. Had he been a little weak on clay ( say like a Sampras) he wouldn't have met Nadal in those Clay matches (15 of their 31 meetings), the H2H would have looked much better, but actually would have meant Fed was not good in clay.

A 32nd ranked player way back when he was just 17 in 2004 won against the then No.1 player in their very first meeting (Miami Masters) on his least favourable surface (Hard court). So this guy clearly had something to unsettle the No.1 on his best surface. But somehow he avoids meeting the No.1 on any of the Hardcourt Grandslams until 2009, clearly when the other guy is on his decline. Remember by this time they have already met 19 times (10 times on clay, 4 on Hardcourts, 3 on Grass & 2 on indoor Hardcourts).

Agree with more less everything you said here. It is just a bad match up for Fed. On the other hand, Nadal used to lose to players like Gonzalez or Youzhny until 2008 when not only Fed but all the earlier generation players began to go off their peak.

ajithfederer
31st August 2013, 06:15 PM
Omega Need your thoughts on this article.

First, there are issues from a purely entertainment and traditional point of view. What makes tennis so unique is the variety of surfaces and the way in which the surfaces compare and contrast against each other. It forces players to come up with different game-plans on different surfaces against different players and means that total domination is next to impossible due to the rigors and difficulty of adapting to each and every surface. Even Federer at his very best was routinely beaten by many a player on his least favorite surface. And it comes as no surprise that Novak Djokovic’s spectacular year – arguably one of the best and most consistent seasons in history – has come in 2011 as most major surfaces have become almost identical.

But it is far from just an aesthetic and cosmetic problem. Traditionally, clay is by far the most grueling and toughest surface on the body, and the faster surfaces have always provided a heavy contrast to the red dirt – allowing players to shorten points, attack and somewhat protect and preserve the body. The slowing down of the courts has taken this away, with most courts coming glorified clay court. It means that players are having to put their bodies under immense pressure day in and day out and it’s leading to increasingly more injuries. Again, it’s no surprise that after a long and grueling season, this US Open broke the record for most withdrawals and retirements in a single tournament.

http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/20595

JamesDap
31st August 2013, 06:38 PM
^^^ Incidentally since that article, ATP introduced a stricter time violation rule - you lose a point for taking more than 25 seconds between serves. That has probably already ensured we won't see a repeat of the gruelling 2012 AO final.

raagadevan
31st August 2013, 07:09 PM
Surface Tension

How big a role has court technology played in tennis's current golden age?

By Brian Phillips- Grantland, June 27, 2013

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9401109/court-surfaces-golden-age-men-tennis

VinodKumar's
31st August 2013, 09:38 PM
:P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFRR8vYGNCc

Arvind Srinivasan
1st September 2013, 12:06 AM
Wondeful posts from Crimpson King and Omega. Keep it coming guys...

omega
1st September 2013, 03:49 AM
Meet your 2013 US Open Champion & the World No. 1 Rafael Nadal (come next Monday 09/09/13)..
Absolutely nothing can stop the Bull here on from clinching it.
The only slight threat that he might have had was in the 4th round against John Isner.
With him folding to Kohli yet again, its going to be a cake walk for the BULL...Way to go BULL!!

omega
1st September 2013, 04:05 AM
Omega Need your thoughts on this article.

http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/20595

I remember reading this then. I for one completely agree with that article. Its pathetic how the current generation of players don't want to have any variety on the surfaces (including Federer). Fed. now & again talks about having few fast courts (he did speak about it in the WTF 2012). After seeing Cincinatti slowed down this year (Nadal claiming Cincinatti slower than Montreal was an absolute shock), there is only Dubai left for a little pacy hard court.

Like the article mentions, it is quite funny how the players never talk about this while constantly complaining about the length of the season. I am sure if the entire ATP tour is played on Clay, Bull will have no issues to play all the events week in week out and none of his issues would ever surface. For him everything should be to his liking (venue can't be in an altitude, balls can't be lighter, surface can't be pacier, conditions cannot be ideal (indoor), balls have to bounce & the list goes on & on).

And for record all the issues that Nadal have is just because of his intense 3 month clay season, which he never realizes.
The only time I had a liking for Nadal's game was during the 2010 US Open when he really served well & attacked atleast the second serves. He quickly went back to his ever dependent defense style from 2011. Now he does look to finish points a little quicker, but have to see how he plays against the likes of Murray/Novak & even Ferrer..

Arvind Srinivasan
1st September 2013, 06:50 AM
The Federer- Nadal QF clash looks inevitable unless Federer folds earlier.

venkkiram
1st September 2013, 08:28 AM
Meet your 2013 US Open Champion & the World No. 1 Rafael Nadal (come next Monday 09/09/13)..
Absolutely nothing can stop the Bull here on from clinching it..
The only slight threat that he might have had was in the 4th round against John Isner.
With him folding to Kohli yet again, its going to be a cake walk for the BULL...Way to go BULL!!

At Round 3:

J. Isner beaten by P. Kohlschreiber 4-6 6-3 5-7 6-7
Nadal defeated I. Dodig 6-4 6-3 6-3

venkkiram
1st September 2013, 08:32 AM
A. Riske caused a big upset when she defeated former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitová in the third round by 6-3 6-0

raagadevan
1st September 2013, 09:07 AM
Same way Nadal also is beating a setha paambu in Federer!!

Looks like the "setha paambu" is still breathing! Roger Federer beats 63rd ranked Adrian Mannarino 6-3, 6-0, 6-2 at the US Open. This has to be a conspiracy; they are keeping the "paambu" alive just to make sure Nadal gets his chance to "feast on his pigeon again" and to "boast up his meaningless H2H"!!

JamesDap
1st September 2013, 01:17 PM
Seeds tumbling in the women's draw (as usual) even as the men's draw is relatively business-as-usual. Lisicki, Wozniacki, Kuznetsova, Kvitova all knocked out...to add to Robson, Stosur and Errani. Radwanska, Li, Serena and Vika still going strong.

omega
1st September 2013, 05:08 PM
Looks like the "setha paambu" is still breathing! Roger Federer beats 63rd ranked Adrian Mannarino 6-3, 6-0, 6-2 at the US Open. This has to be a conspiracy; they are keeping the "paambu" alive just to make sure Nadal gets his chance to "feast on his pigeon again" and to "boast up his meaningless H2H"!!

Yes, because "setha paambu" is never afraid to meet "nondi kaalai" even in his worst form...
Its "nondi kaalai" who is more worried about the ever meaningful H2H...
Anyway "nondi kaalai" yet to bite another US Open trophy!! Congrats!!

venkkiram
1st September 2013, 06:55 PM
Seeds tumbling in the women's draw (as usual) even as the men's draw is relatively business-as-usual. Lisicki, Wozniacki, Kuznetsova, Kvitova all knocked out...to add to Robson, Stosur and Errani. Radwanska, Li, Serena and Vika still going strong. Let us see who would upset Serena this time. Apart from her serves, Serina's double handed back-ends are so powerful and delight to watch.

venkkiram
1st September 2013, 07:25 PM
former # 1 , known for his fast serves , 32 career titles, grand slam winner , 3 time Wimbledon finalist == setha baambu. Nalla vela Andy Roddick - ku tamizh theriyaathu.

Even if he learns Tamil, I will say "Hey! you have a head count 21–3 against Federer, then how else should I call you?"

Head 2 Head Count என்றால் இப்படி இருக்கணும்.

Sampras 20-14 Agassi
Sampras 12-7 Becker
Sampras 4-5 Hewitt
Sampras 12-6 Ivanisevic
Federer 16–13 Djoko
Federer 21-10 Nadal
Federer 9–11 Murray
Nadal 21-15 Djoko
Nadal 6-4 Hewitt
Nadal 18-13 Murray

leosimha
1st September 2013, 07:44 PM
Even if he learns Tamil, I will say "Hey! you have a head count 21–3 against Federer, then how else should I call you?"

Head 2 Head Count என்றால் இப்படி இருக்கணும்.

Sampras 20-14 Agassi
Sampras 12-7 Becker
Sampras 4-5 Hewitt
Sampras 12-6 Ivanisevic
Federer 16–13 Djoko
Federer 21-10 Nadal
Federer 9–11 Murray
Nadal 21-15 Djoko
Nadal 6-4 Hewitt
Nadal 18-13 Murray

Nadal 21 - 10 Federer

Nadal 13 - 5 Murray

Sampras only H2H record against Federer is 0-1,

Year
Tournament & City
Surface
Round
Winner & Score

Wimbledon (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Wimbledon.aspx)
England
Grass
R16
Federer, Roger (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Roger-Federer.aspx)
7-6(7), 5-7, 6-4, 6-7(2), 7-5

too bad on the part of wimbledon organizers to have slowed down the wimbledon grass surface from 2001 onwards which aided federer to win against Sampras, the fast grass court player.... :(

leosimha
1st September 2013, 07:48 PM
really amazed at the Sampras's H2H record against a marathon player like Hewitt.... :shock:

Arvind Srinivasan
1st September 2013, 07:58 PM

The way Andy Roddick played in the finals of Wimbledon 09, was anything but like a 'setha pambu'. Gave Federer a real scare and could have easily gone over the line to win his first Wimbledon title. Sometimes the overall scores never tell you the complete story. And one can argue saying it was a one off match. But it was the Wimbledon final and almost everybody thought the match was a foregone conclusion.

leosimha
1st September 2013, 08:00 PM
Federer's H2H record against Nadal on Hard Courts is 6-7. :shock: The hard courts have slowed down since 2004 when Nadal met Federer for the first time and Nadal won against Federer. The ATP organizers are well against Federer and have aided Nadal.

Year
Tournament & City
Surface
Round
Winner & Score

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Cincinnati (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Cincinnati.aspx)
OH, U.S.A.
Hard
Q
Nadal, Rafael (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Rafael-Nadal.aspx)
5-7, 6-4, 6-3 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Indian-Wells.aspx)
CA, U.S.A.
Hard
Q
Nadal, Rafael (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Rafael-Nadal.aspx)
6-4, 6-2 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian Wells (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Indian-Wells.aspx)
CA, U.S.A.
Hard
S
Federer, Roger (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Roger-Federer.aspx)
6-3, 6-4 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

Australian Open (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Australian-Open.aspx)
Australia
Hard
S
6-7(5), 6-2, 7-6(5), 6-4 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

Barclays ATP World Tour Finals (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/London-Finals.aspx)
Great Britain
Hard
RR
6-3, 6-0 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Miami.aspx)
FL, U.S.A.
Hard
S
6-3, 6-2 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

Barclays ATP World Tour Finals (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/London-Finals.aspx)
London, England
Hard
F
6-3, 3-6, 6-1 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

Australian Open (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Australian-Open.aspx)
Australia
Hard
F
7-5, 3-6, 7-6(3), 3-6, 6-2 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

Tennis Masters Cup (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/London-Finals.aspx)
China
Hard
S
6-4, 6-1 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

Tennis Masters Cup (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/London-Finals.aspx)
China
Hard
S
6-4, 7-5 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

Dubai (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Dubai.aspx)
U.A.E.
Hard
F
2-6, 6-4, 6-4 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

ATP Masters Series Miami (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Miami.aspx)
FL, U.S.A.
Hard
F
2-6, 6-7(4), 7-6(5), 6-3, 6-1 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

ATP Masters Series Miami (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/Miami.aspx)
FL, U.S.A.
Hard
R32
6-3, 6-3 Stats (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=F324#)

JamesDap
1st September 2013, 08:38 PM
Er...no, at the time of Miami 2004 Nadal was just an up and coming player while Fed was already a two time slam winner and being hailed as the next great by many former tennis players. Nadal didn't even get to no. 2 before July 2005, more than a year after their first meeting. It is just a bad match up for Fed. There is no need for conspiracy theories. ATP does not hate Federer. If they were so pro Nadal, they wouldn't have brought in point penalties for taking more than 25 seconds between serves, a rule that Nadal clearly hates.

omega
1st September 2013, 09:55 PM
For a great problem solver in Bull, it amazes me how he took more than 4 years since his first grand slam to reach his Hard Court slam Final.... Yeah ultimately he didn't solve anything, ATP solved it for him nicely.....

Since Bull won the Olympic, suddenly it became a must for every Professional to have it.
Since Bull have won multiple Davis Cups, it has become a must for every Professional to have it.

No one talks (all the bandwagoners) about WTF which is considered useless (what is it a "glorified meaningless exhibition").

Wait for suddenly the WTF to have its importance, when Bull wins it for the first time (Yeah the problem solver will ultimately solve it also)....

And how about speeding up the Clay for a change (when every other surface has gone in the opposite direction). It will be fun to see how Bull will react to it. I know it will never happen, but still they can do as anyway Fed is useless in all surfaces these days (pacy or bouncy)

ajithfederer
1st September 2013, 10:00 PM
:lol: :thumbsup:

WTF's are slow now as well. The one at shanghai was much quicker than the present o2 at london.

For a great problem solver in Bull, it amazes me how he took more than 4 years since his first grand slam to reach his Hard Court slam Final.... Yeah ultimately he didn't solve anything, ATP solved it for him nicely.....

Since Bull won the Olympic, suddenly it became a must for every Professional to have it.
Since Bull have won multiple Davis Cups, it has become a must for every Professional to have it.

No one talks (all the bandwagoners) about WTF which is considered useless (what is it a "glorified meaningless exhibition").

Wait for suddenly the WTF to have its importance, when Bull wins it for the first time (Yeah the problem solver will ultimately solve it also)....

And how about speeding up the Clay for a change (when every other surface has gone in the opposite direction). It will be fun to see how Bull will react to it.

JamesDap
1st September 2013, 10:10 PM

Perhaps you may not find it so amazing if you were reminded of the fact that Sampras did not reach a Wimbledon final until 93 (which he won), three years after his first Grand Slam title at US Open, give or take a couple of months.

And how about speeding up the Clay for a change (when every other surface has gone in the opposite direction). It will be fun to see how Bull will react to it. I know it will never happen, but still they can do as anyway Fed is useless in all surfaces these days (pacy or bouncy)

FYI, RG already uses lighter balls since the last two years which has in fact sped up play considerably.

omega
1st September 2013, 10:30 PM
Sampras was not a great problem solver you see....
When Sampras's own competitor Agassi won the Olympic Gold Medal, it was not seen as a missing piece in Sampras's resume.
Must be because both were Americans. Sampras inspite of not even reaching a single French Open Final he was considered the best just by him winning 14 GS titles. Little did these American clowns know that a Swiss Maestro will eat up all his records in no time......

raagadevan
2nd September 2013, 05:40 AM
Update on Indians at the US Open...

Doubles 3rd Round:

Sania Mirza & Zheng Jie defeat Anna-Lena Gronefeld & Kveta Peschke (6-2, 6-3)

Leander Paes & Radek Stepanek defeat Michael Llodra & Nicolas Mahut (7-5, 4-6, 6-3)

Rohan Bopanna & Edouard Roger-Vasselin defeated by Colin Fleming & Jonathan Marray (4-6, 4-6)

Rajeev Ram (Indo-American) & Brian Baker defeated by Jamie Murray & John Peers (7-8, 5-7, 6-7)

venkkiram
2nd September 2013, 06:12 AM
Serena Williams wins grudge mtch against Sloane Stephens 6-4 6-1. So far going strong!!

JamesDap
2nd September 2013, 06:38 AM
Sampras was not a great problem solver you see....
When Sampras's own competitor Agassi won the Olympic Gold Medal, it was not seen as a missing piece in Sampras's resume.
Must be because both were Americans. Sampras inspite of not even reaching a single French Open Final he was considered the best just by him winning 14 GS titles. Little did these American clowns know that a Swiss Maestro will eat up all his records in no time......
Er, by the same logic, then neither is Nadal for he took even longer to win a slam on hard court. And his first HC slam was Aus Open, which some clay court players have won in the past. e.g Carlos Moya.

omega
2nd September 2013, 07:51 AM
Er, by the same logic, then neither is Nadal for he took even longer to win a slam on hard court. And his first HC slam was Aus Open, which some clay court players have won in the past. e.g Carlos Moya.

You know I was just kidding. Anyway I can understand if it takes longer to win Wimbledon as we have only two tournaments in grass (one ATP 250 & one GS) which could be tough to get used to as they are quite rare. With more than 70% tournaments in the tour being played in Hard court it is quite extraordinary why a great problem solver like Bull took that long to figure out those....

leosimha
2nd September 2013, 07:18 PM
Federer says he is up for challenge with Nadal. That's a good sign of confidence on the part of Federer.

raagadevan
2nd September 2013, 11:32 PM
Roger Federer to meet Tommy Roberdo tonight; rain permitting...

Roger Federer - Tommy Robredo

10 -H 2 H Wins- 0

31 -Age- 32

Basel, Switzerland -Birthplace- Hostalric, Spain

Bottmingen, Switzerland -Residence- San Cugat del Valles, Spain

6'1" (185 cm) -Height- 5'11" (180 cm)

187 lbs (85 kg) -Weight- 165 lbs (75 kg)

Right-handed -Plays- Right-handed

1998 -Turned Pro- 1998

32/11 -YTD Win/Loss- 32/17

1 -YTD Titles- 2

910/209 -Career Win/Loss- 453/287

77 -Career Titles- 12

$77,775,114 -Career Prize Money- $10,186,775

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 04:21 AM
Just now started watching the match. Shocked to see that match already going strong. Robredo got the first set. Wishing Federer controls his emotions and get all the next 3 sets.

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd September 2013, 04:25 AM
Federer's backhand is a problem. It was targetted specifically by Robredo in the early parts of the first set. Add the bad winning percentage of the second serve.He is hardly winning points on the second serve. Federer looking way below par here.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 04:26 AM
Federer shows trouble in managing his forehand errors.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 04:29 AM
Morethan his backend shots, today its the forehand that kills Federer. He lost an easy chance to convert Robredo's game.

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd September 2013, 04:42 AM
Well a horrible game from Federer.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 04:43 AM
Come on Feddy! You need to control your emotions. Your forehands are in worst condition so far.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 04:44 AM
Robredo is now serving for the second set. 5-3.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 04:48 AM
Robredo got the second set also.

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd September 2013, 04:49 AM
The chance of Nadal-Federer QF showdown is fast slipping away. Its been a very poor match from Federer.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 04:54 AM
Chris Evert : Federer is at the end of his carrier.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 05:16 AM
ஆறும் அது ஆழம் இல்ல
அது சேரும் கடலும் ஆழம் இல்ல
ஆறும் அது ஆழம் இல்ல

ஆழம் எது அய்யா
அந்த Federer மனசு தான்யா... (2)
அடி அம்மாடி அதன் ஆழம் பாத்ததாரு
அடி ஆத்தாடி அத பாத்த பேர கூறு நீ!

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 05:29 AM
Just one more game. Federer.. its too late to control at this point of time. Anyway, all the very best for Federer.

raagadevan
3rd September 2013, 05:33 AM
Robredo beats Federer 7-6, 6-3, 6-4; to meet the winner of the Nadal/Schreiber match...

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 05:37 AM
Robredo wins the battle. Roger walks off. In one way, the fans has to thank Federer. How many times they would watch in the naked eyes the mishits from Federer?

raagadevan
3rd September 2013, 05:52 AM
Nadal loses the first set 6-7.

Arvind Srinivasan
3rd September 2013, 05:59 AM
Chris Evert : Federer is at the end of his carrier.

Well life has probably come a full circle for him. It will be interesting to see how Federer goes on from here. He's had his worst year and it is somewhat poetic seeing him fail so often. You cannot be at the top all the time can you? But I am not writing his obituary just yet. Will wait for another slam or two. And btw isn't it 'career' ? :)

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 06:20 AM
Well life has probably come a full circle for him. It will be interesting to see how Federer goes on from here. He's had his worst year and it is somewhat poetic seeing him fail so often. You cannot be at the top all the time can you? But I am not writing his obituary just yet. Will wait for another slam or two. And btw isn't it 'career' ? :) Its a mishit from my side.

raagadevan
3rd September 2013, 06:25 AM
David Ferrer outlasts Janko Tipsarevic in a close match (7-6, 3-6, 7-5, 7-6).

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 07:09 AM
Nadal leading the third set with 3-1.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 07:26 AM
வராதேன்பார் வந்துவிழும் நடால் கையால்
வரம்பெறும் அகலும் பந்து.

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 07:28 AM
OMG!! Feddy vanquished.

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 07:28 AM
வரம்பெறும் அகலும் பந்து.

please please translate....

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 07:29 AM
ஆறும் அது ஆழம் இல்ல
ஆறும் அது ஆழம் இல்ல

ஆழம் எது அய்யா
அந்த Federer மனசு தான்யா... (2)
அடி அம்மாடி அதன் ஆழம் பாத்ததாரு
அடி ஆத்தாடி அத பாத்த பேர கூறு நீ!

again again please translate...

omega
3rd September 2013, 08:03 AM
The chance of Nadal-Federer QF showdown is fast slipping away. Its been a very poor match from Federer.

It may be good thing for Fed to lose before getting beat down by the Bull!!

raagadevan
Rafa wins 6-7, 6-4, 6-3, 6-1!

omega
வரம்பெறும் அகலும் பந்து.

Ayya enna solla vareenga??

omega
3rd September 2013, 08:04 AM
OMG!! Feddy vanquished.

Thereby denying Bull having another feast!! Well done Fed!!

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 08:11 AM

No DISRESPECT to Feddy. I thought the match between Feddy and Nadal would be a tough one for Nadal.

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 08:13 AM
Rafa wins 6-7, 6-4, 6-3, 6-1!

Need to watch the first set which Nadal lost.

raagadevan
3rd September 2013, 08:13 AM
Federer self-destructs in fourth-round upset to Robredo at U.S. Open

That this defeat came against Robredo made it all the more stunning. Not that Robredo is a slouch. He’s been ranked as high as No. 5, albeit back in 2006, and this is his seventh trip to the quarter-finals at a major. He made it that far at this year’s French Open by doing something no man had done since 1927, winning three matches in a row after dropping the first two sets of each.

But consider these other facts about Robredo and this matchup: Not only was he 0-10 against Federer until Monday, he’d managed to win only three of the 27 previous sets they’d played. And before Monday, Robredo’s record in the fourth round of the U.S. Open was 0-7. Robredo missed time in 2011 and 2012 because of left leg problems that required surgery, and his ranking fell below 400th.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/federer-knocked-out-of-us-open-by-robredo/article14076510/

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 08:14 AM
It may be good thing for Fed to lose before getting beat down by the Bull!!

Don't ever say that. Now what is your opinion on Federer having another go on the slam chances next year.

omega
3rd September 2013, 08:21 AM
Don't ever say that. Now what is your opinion on Federer having another go on the slam chances next year.

He still has one more slam in him..
But lot of things have to fall in place for that (favourable draw, being in a good form blah blah)

omega
3rd September 2013, 08:22 AM
No DISRESPECT to Feddy. I thought the match between Feddy and Nadal would be a tough one for Nadal.

I know you are just trolling....
Nadal would have steamrolled Fed had they met without a doubt...
High time Fed realized it..

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 08:41 AM
Ayya enna solla vareenga??

அகலும் பந்து.
வராதேன்பார்.
வந்துவிழும்.
நடால் கையால்
வரம்பெறும்.

omega
3rd September 2013, 08:44 AM
அகலும் பந்து.
வராதேன்பார்.
வந்துவிழும்.
நடால் கையால்
வரம்பெறும்.

Besha perattum!!

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 08:59 AM
Gasquet wins against Raonic. Tough battle. 6-7 7-6 2-6 7-6 7-5

Quarter final matches will be a feast for the fans!

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 10:01 AM
நிறுத்தின் புகழோடு நிறுத்துக அஃதிலார்
சாம்பிராஸ் அறிந்துணர்.

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 10:27 AM
Besha perattum!! Whether you accept it or not, Nadal in every single match brings 50% of unreachable deliveries back to the opponent court. . Such skill needs dynamics, foot work and will. Its totally different territory from S&V. Djoko is one another person. They all show us the other dimension of the tennis. An art.

omega
3rd September 2013, 11:02 AM
Whether you accept it or not, Nadal in every single match brings 50% of unreachable deliveries back to the opponent court. . Such skill needs dynamics, foot work and will. Its totally different territory from S&V. Djoko is one another person. They all show us the other dimension of the tennis. An art.

Did I ever deny it?
Yes he is an extreme retriever...

raagadevan
3rd September 2013, 05:10 PM
"Nadal Comes Back to Beat Kohlschreiber at US Open"

"While Rafael Nadal was improving to 19-0 on hard courts in 2013 by returning to the U.S. Open quarterfinals, he noticed the scoreboard updates showing how Roger Federer's match on another court was going. In an interview the day before the tournament began, Nadal spoke about how he and Federer 'deserved a final here,' the way they met in four title matches at the French Open, three at Wimbledon, and one at the Australian Open. Nadal won six of those eight, part of his overall 21-10 head-to-head edge. Nadal reiterated that sentiment Monday after eliminating Kohlschreiber. 'Didn't happen. (That doesn't) mean cannot happen in the future. We'll see. Hopefully,' Nadal said. 'But is true that we are getting older, so the chances are less today than five years ago'."

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/nadal-back-beat-kohlschreiber-us-open-20139263

raagadevan
3rd September 2013, 05:13 PM
Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal: Requiem for a rivalry

The New Yorker has called their matches "the greatest, most sentimental rivalry in the history of tennis, and, possibly, of sports."

http://www.oregonlive.com/the-spin-of-the-ball/index.ssf/2013/09/us_open_is_the_roger_federer-r.html

ajithfederer
3rd September 2013, 06:04 PM
:lol:

Nice way to troll people.

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 07:03 PM
Just saw the highlights of Tommy vs Roger. What was Federer trying to do in the 7th game of the 3rd set with his service? Really unbelievable. Shocked. Lost 4 points in a row on his service.

Why was he being too quick? Being quick is good but being too quick with a sense of urgency to win or to lose!! :(

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 07:10 PM
Just saw the highlights of Tommy vs Roger. What was Federer trying to do in the 7th game of the 3rd set with his service? Really unbelievable. Shocked.

Why was he being too quick? Being quick is good but being too quick with a sense of urgency to win or to lose!! :(

For past few years, deciphering his thought process and actions have become a tough one. Win or loose does not matter. Even a top seeded player can be bounced in a first or second round of the grand slam. But how much competence he provides on the court is something very important. And I see a gradual decrease in Federer. This is very similar to the occasions Sachin gone through in the past where a former West Indian cricketer even labelled him as a "LBW candidate!". The coach I used to talk nowadays used to say this often. "In tennis, the first opponent is the net. " and Federer in the yesterday's match failed to overcome that in critical/needed situations.

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 07:16 PM
Whether you accept it or not, Nadal in every single match brings 50% of unreachable deliveries back to the opponent court. . Such skill needs dynamics, foot work and will. Its totally different territory from S&V. Djoko is one another person. They all show us the other dimension of the tennis. An art.

Did I ever deny it?
Yes he is an extreme retriever...

I would say Nadal always does a blinder...something impossible....

if Federer inspired many people to watch tennis because of his beautiful execution of his forehand and backhand then.....Nadal is inspiring millions because of the agility, dynamism, athletism, blinders, impossible retrieving and all round court display.....mindblowing... :bow:

And I forgot to add the most important one...the MENTAL TOUGHNESS....I guess no one is close to NADAL on this aspect/attribute....I would like to know your views if I am being wrong here and you would beg to differ...

leosimha
3rd September 2013, 07:21 PM
Gasquet wins against Raonic. Tough battle. 6-7 7-6 2-6 7-6 7-5

Quarter final matches will be a feast for the fans!

All the BIG Servers Raonic, Isner, Karlovic, Dodig, Rosol, Del Potro gone......

omega
3rd September 2013, 07:24 PM
Leo,

Agree on everything you have said about Nadal.
Nadal is the only one I've seen you just plays every point with the same intensity.
Even when he would have a big lead, his committment to win the next point is just mind blowing.

omega
3rd September 2013, 07:26 PM
I am thinking Tinman/Birdman will clear the road for Bull if he prevails in his next round...
After all Bull may not have to work hard from here on!! The cake could get only sweeter..

venkkiram
3rd September 2013, 11:21 PM
V. Azarenka defeats A. Ivanovic and moving into Quarter final. 4-6 6-3 6-4

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Victoria+Azarenka+Brisbane+International+Day+s79cx ruSlELx.jpg

raagadevan
4th September 2013, 01:46 AM
இந்த முறை பெண்களுக்கான 2013 யு.எஸ்.ஓபன் கோப்பையை தலைவி அஸ்ரங்கா வெல்ல எல்லாம் வல்ல சோட்டாணிக்கரை பகவதியை வேண்டிக் கொள்கிறேன்.

V. Azarenka defeats A. Ivanovic and moving into Quarter final. 4-6 6-3 6-4

Venkkiram: Looks like சோட்டாணிக்கரை பகவதி heard your prayer! I'm sure you're a very happy man! :)

venkkiram
4th September 2013, 02:08 AM
Venkkiram: Looks like சோட்டாணிக்கரை பகவதி heard your prayer! I'm sure you're a very happy man! :) பகவதி இப்போதான் திருவிழாவிக்கே வந்திருக்கா. இனிமேதான் தீமிதி, காவடி என களகட்டப் போகுது. போனமுறையே ஜெயிச்சிருக்கவேண்டியது. மூன்றாவது செட்டில் பயம் வந்திடிச்சி. ரெண்டாவது சர்வ் கூட ஒழுங்கா போட முடியாத அளவுக்கு செரீனா திகில உண்டு பண்ணிட்டாங்கா இந்த பிஞ்சு மனசுல. இந்த முறை எப்படி போகுமா?

raagadevan
4th September 2013, 02:15 AM
பகவதி இப்போதான் திருவிழாவிக்கே வந்திருக்கா.... இந்த முறை எப்படி போகுமா?

Good luck to you and Azarenka!

raagadevan
4th September 2013, 05:14 AM
Era of dominance diminishing slowly, surely

The Hindu - September 3, 2013 ( By Kevin Mitchell, The Guardian Newspapers Ltd.)

"Federer is still hungry, but for what? How does he measure success now: is it reaching a final of a Slam? Is it going to the next Olympics? Is it beating one of his old rivals, just one more time... or is it surviving against players such as Robredo, Stakhovsky, Daniel Brands and Federico Delbonis?"

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/tennis/era-of-dominance-diminishing-slowly-surely/article5090272.ece?homepage=true

raagadevan
5th September 2013, 02:41 AM
Richard Gasquet in the semifinals... wins 5-set thriller against David Ferrer 6-3, 6-1, 4-6, 2-6, 6-3.

VinodKumar's
5th September 2013, 02:42 AM
Nadal's QF and SF opponents :P

omega
5th September 2013, 04:27 AM
All QF matches are between a OHBH & THBH

1) Richard Gasquet (OHBH) vs David Ferrer (THBH)
2) Robredo (OHBH) vs Nadal (THBH)
3) Youzhny (OHBH) vs Djokovic (THBH)
4) Wawrinka (OHBH) vs Murray (THBH)

Perfect matches between ATP vs WTA (j/k)

venkkiram
5th September 2013, 07:36 AM
Nadal killed Robredo in the first set. Just 22 mins. 6-0.

raagadevan
5th September 2013, 07:40 AM
Azarenka in the semifinals; beats Hantuchova 6-2, 6-3. Good news for Venkkiram! :)

venkkiram
5th September 2013, 07:50 AM
Yes. Yes sir. Watched the last 30 mins if that match! Azarenka played good! Let us see how semifinals get thro!

raagadevan
5th September 2013, 08:15 AM
Tommy Robredo loses to Rafa Nadal 0-6, 2-6, 2-6 in the quarterfinals!

leosimha
5th September 2013, 02:24 PM
too much of abbreviations....ohbh...thbh.... what do they mean? hope they have a proper meaning in tennis?

leosimha
5th September 2013, 02:28 PM
Yes. Yes sir. Watched the last 30 mins if that match! Azarenka played good! Let us see how semifinals get thro!

one commentator was saying Azarenka will have to step up her game if she wants to win against Serena. By the way Fabia Pannada has got a good game.

VinodKumar's
5th September 2013, 03:50 PM
ohbh - one handed backhand

thbh - two handed backhand

venkkiram
5th September 2013, 04:36 PM
one commentator was saying Azarenka will have to step up her game if she wants to win against Serena. By the way Fabia Pannada has got a good game. I agree. At the end of the day, the player with less unforced errors and more winners would win.

Brianengab
5th September 2013, 05:04 PM
Sania... :clap: congrats for ur semi-final ..

hoping she wil enter her first final of USO...

ajithfederer
5th September 2013, 05:42 PM
:lol:

All QF matches are between a OHBH & THBH

1) Richard Gasquet (OHBH) vs David Ferrer (THBH)
2) Robredo (OHBH) vs Nadal (THBH)
3) Youzhny (OHBH) vs Djokovic (THBH)
4) Wawrinka (OHBH) vs Murray (THBH)

Perfect matches between ATP vs WTA (j/k)

venkkiram
5th September 2013, 06:03 PM
Congrats Sania! Your power strokes always take you places. All the very best!

raagadevan
5th September 2013, 09:29 PM
Leander Paes (India) & Radek Štěpánek (Czech Republic) defeat Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi (Pakistan) & Jean-Julien Rojer (Netherlands) in the men's doubles quarterfinals; will meet Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan (the Bryan brothers) of the USA today in the semifinals. Leander has previously won 13 grand slam titles (7 men's doubles and 6 mixed doubles).

Arvind Srinivasan
5th September 2013, 11:18 PM
Leander playing an absolute masterclass at Arthur Ashe against the Bryans....Up two breaks in the deciding set Paes n Stepanek....WAG.....

raagadevan
5th September 2013, 11:40 PM
Leander and Radek defeat the #1 ranked/seeded Bryan Brothers 3-6, 6-3, 6-4! WOW!:)

Arvind Srinivasan
5th September 2013, 11:41 PM
Paes-Stepanek win against the Bryans- 3-6 6-3 6-4...

Arvind Srinivasan
5th September 2013, 11:43 PM
Paes played beautifully today. Gave the Bryans a real run for their money. And he is all class while giving interviews as well. Asked the crowd to give the Bryans a standing ovation....

Arvind Srinivasan
6th September 2013, 01:06 AM
Wawrinka giving a great account of himself vs Murray. Has got the first set after a very tense 10th game.

VinodKumar's
6th September 2013, 01:56 AM
Now he leads 2 sets to 0...

VinodKumar's
6th September 2013, 01:59 AM
He got early break in 3rd set..

VinodKumar's
6th September 2013, 02:17 AM
Double breAk gonna serve for match murray completely lost out there.

Arvind Srinivasan
6th September 2013, 02:21 AM
Great win for the Swiss.....

VinodKumar's
6th September 2013, 02:23 AM
Congrats stan for your first major semi final

VinodKumar's
6th September 2013, 02:28 AM
45 winners :clap:

raagadevan
6th September 2013, 02:39 AM
Murray was completely outplayed! Another Swiss Maestro in the making? :)

venkkiram
6th September 2013, 02:51 AM
சினங்காக்கால் உடையும் ராக்கட் நாளை
முரேவை மிதிக்கும் மீடியா.

venkkiram
6th September 2013, 02:58 AM
கவுண்டர் வடிவேலு என்பர் தோற்றலில்
முரேமுகம் காணா தவர்.

raagadevan
6th September 2013, 06:10 AM
Paes & Stepanek End Bryans' Grand Slam Dream

-ATP Word Tour: Latest News, September 5, 2013

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/09/36/US-Open-Thursday-Paes-Stepanek-Bryan-Brothers.aspx

raagadevan
6th September 2013, 06:38 AM
Sania Mirza (India) & Jie Zheng (China) defeated by Ashleigh Barty (Australia) & Casey Dellacqua (Australia) 2-6, 2-6.

venkkiram
6th September 2013, 07:11 AM
Djokovic advances by taking first 2 sets. Youzhny looks hopeless. I believe in Wawrinka that a tough match guaranteed against Djokovic!

venkkiram
6th September 2013, 07:42 AM
Third set looks so interesting as Youzhny finds his rhythm. 4-3.

Arvind Srinivasan
6th September 2013, 07:47 AM
Some intense stuff out there. Will be great if this goes to another set or two.

Arvind Srinivasan
6th September 2013, 07:52 AM
Youzhny gets the third and the match is alive.

venkkiram
6th September 2013, 07:54 AM
Yes. His careless single handed shots are top notch. Simply Youzhny and Wawrinka are the best in single handed business.

venkkiram
6th September 2013, 07:55 AM
While Djoko uses the drop shots to drain Youzhny's energy, Youzhny simply frustrates Djoko by engaging in long rallies.

leosimha
6th September 2013, 10:26 PM
Speed and Spin: Nadal’s Lethal ForehandSEPTEMBER 1, 2011By JOE WARD | XAQUÍN G.V.

Rafael Nadal’s forehand is a rare combination of speed and tremendous topspin, making it one of the most lethal weapons in tennis.

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2011/09/01/sports/100000001028436/speed-and-spin-nadals-lethal-forehand.html (http://www.nytimes.com/video/2011/09/01/sports/100000001028436/speed-and-spin-nadals-lethal-forehand.html)

Good Video.

leosimha
6th September 2013, 10:28 PM
'Rafael Nadal Is the Leonardo da Vinci of Tennis'

It’s usually Roger Federer who gets compared to intellectual heroes, but a remark by John McEnroe rightly appreciated that Nadal's best, most underrated weapon is his brain.

Despite the mentions of Nadal’s “baseline bashing” and “extremely physical style of play,” it’s come to light in recent years that Nadal is unquestionably one of the best thinkers in the game of tennis, with a terrifyingly deft understanding of its science and strategy.

Last night, McEnroe instructed all the junior players watching the broadcast to closely observe Nadal’s play because, by subtly identifying his opponent’s movement patterns and adjusting and re-adjusting his service motion and returns accordingly, he was putting on what McEnroe called “a clinic” in shot placement. (The importance of being able to analyze and respond to an opponent’s play during a match shouldn’t be underestimated: Earlier this week, as The New York Times’ Geoff MacDonald noted, Federer made his earliest exit from a Grand Slam in 10 years because he failed to readjust his game plan (http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/federer-paid-price-for-not-adjusting-his-game-plan/?_r=0) against Tommy Robredo in the fourth round.)

Gilbert and McEnroe also made mention last night of a 2011 New York Timesvideo feature that delved into the physics of why Rafael Nadal’s lethal lefty forehand—sometimes affectionately known as the “fearhand”—causes so much trouble for his opponents.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/09/rafael-nadal-is-the-leonardo-da-vinci-of-tennis/279383/

Good read!!

leosimha
6th September 2013, 10:32 PM
For Federer and Nadal, Best Debate Is Still AheadOh, but wouldn’t Federer, despite his three-set loss to Tommy Robredo in the fourth round, have challenged Nadal with a greater arsenal than Robredo, who at best could be characterized as a poor man’s Nadal?
Yes, in theory. But if we have learned anything over the last nine years, it is that Federer does not hold up well against Nadal, the swashbuckling Spaniard. Nadal defeated Federer in straight sets on Florida hardcourts the first time they played, in 2004. Since then, he has beaten Federer about two times for every loss (21-10 head-to-head (http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=F324&oId=N409)).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/sports/tennis/in-federer-nadal-rivalry-best-debate-is-yet-to-come.html?_r=0

Another good read!!

JamesDap
6th September 2013, 10:47 PM
The other day, in his match against Kohlschrieber, Nadal actually picked up a short ball off the air to make a forehand volley winner. That is, he is doing the stuff Federer is supposedly renowned for. Even as Fed has got defensive and tentative, Nadal is growing in confidence and taking the attack to his opponent. He has looked more of a hard court player in that sense than either of Fed, Djoko or Murray in this US Open. It is sad that Fed has lost trust in his weaponry to an extent....what else would explain his defensiveness.

raagadevan
7th September 2013, 12:43 AM
Why Roger Federer must retire to maintain his legacy

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/why-roger-federer-must-retire-to-maintain-his-legacy-8802461.html

Novak Djokovic urges critics to 'cut Roger Federer some slack' despite career slump

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1884816/report-novak-djokovic-urges-critics-to-cut-roger-federer-some-slack-despite-career-slump

raagadevan
7th September 2013, 01:48 AM
Victoria Azarenka beats Flavia Pennetta 6-4, 6-2 in the first semifinals.

raagadevan
7th September 2013, 03:41 AM
...and Na Li loses to Serena Williams 0-6, 3-6 in the other semi.

venkkiram
7th September 2013, 05:31 AM
History repeats in women's final where azarenka meets serina. I am happy with azarenka's so far 2013 performances in hard courts. But US open is altogether a different territory that too when Serina plays.

JamesDap
7th September 2013, 08:43 AM
Just caught the highlights of Wawrinka v/s Murray today. More like Wow-rinka. He just put up a clinic there....so many awesome volleys, and often with such a casual stance. Incredible hard court tennis....if he plays like that again on Saturday, he has a chance to play the finals as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngbBQtuNpGs

raagadevan
7th September 2013, 02:40 PM
Djokovic and Nadal opponents face tall task in U.S. Open semi-finals

By Howard Fendrich - The Associated Press, September 06, 2013

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/djokovic-and-nadal-opponents-face-tall-task-in-semi-finals/article14174649/

Matt Cronin's Day 13 picks

US Open News - September 06, 2013

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2013-09-06/201309071378512726993.html?chip=1

venkkiram
7th September 2013, 10:55 PM
Dominant WOWrinka got the first set by 6-2. Perfect partner for Djoko's long rallies..

venkkiram
7th September 2013, 11:16 PM
From the mid of second set, Djoko found his groove and leading 5-4.

leosimha
7th September 2013, 11:26 PM
don't know if djoko has lost his rhythm

leosimha
7th September 2013, 11:28 PM
tie breaker in the 2nd set. interesting.