PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Forever

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

leosimha
7th September 2013, 11:54 PM
hmm...djoko wins the tie breaker...will it be 5-setter.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 12:17 AM
WOW...wawrinka gets the 3rd set. leads 2 sets to 1.

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 12:40 AM
Djoko leads the fourth set 4-1. Wawrinka seems to be lost his touch. His focus should be ON always not even a minute he can relax while playing against Djoko.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:03 AM
djoko wins the 4th set. wow...a 5 setter. it seems to me that both have lost their touch and are no up to their mark. not at all that interesting to me. edho match pogitte irukku...

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:04 AM
only a few points here and there by djoko and wawrinka are good...initially wawrinka was dominating but now it is so-so.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:05 AM
I am waiting for Nadal match. hope this fifth set finishes soon and doesn't go like aus open 5th set.

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:05 AM
To win this crucial match, Wawrinka has to understand when to try some innovative shots and when not. All he can do is, just stick to basics and Djoko will eventually make mistakes in long rallies.

VinodKumar's
8th September 2013, 01:07 AM
To win this crucial match, Wawrinka has to understand when to try some innovative shots and when not. All he can do is, just stick to basics and Djoko will eventually make mistakes in long rallies.

A leaf from Nole's tactics. He is best in this. He don't get excited that easily during long rallies. Again a 5 setter before final for him.

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:08 AM
Wawrinka's first serve today is very average and not in the same load he released against Murray.

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:20 AM
Discipline Discipline Discipline . No more double faults Wawrinka. Otherwise you are throwing up the match.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:26 AM
wawrinka's single handed backhand winners are a delight to watch. reminds me much of federer's heydays.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:27 AM
deuce #9 in the 3rd game of 5th set.

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:27 AM
Again and again.. Wawrinka makes the same mistake.. Anyway, I lost my interest in this match. ivanai nampi panthayathil iRanka mudiyaathu pola!

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:28 AM
another backhand winner from wawrinka.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:28 AM
again deuce #10.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:29 AM
deuce #11

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:29 AM
another backhand winner from wawrinka. you need to count how many crucial times the same backend approach backfired him!

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:30 AM
deuce #12.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:33 AM
21 minutes for 1 game. and finally wawrinka wins...

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:35 AM
Finally the first serve helped Wawrinka to hold his game. Such serves only destroyed Andy. If Wawrinka is consistent at least from now onwards, it would be fruitful.

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:36 AM
21 minutes for 1 game. and finally wawrinka wins... it took only 22 minutes to wrap up the first set for Nadal against his fellow country man at quarter final.

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:38 AM
Wawrinka: டேய்.. இப்பத்தானே சர்வீஸ் போட்டு முடிச்சேன்! அதுக்குள்ளேயா இன்னொரு சர்வீஸ்! ஆங்..

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:40 AM
oh no. djoko with double break-point.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:41 AM
djoko going nuts...come on wawrinka and djoko. provide a scintillating 5th set.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:42 AM
djoko wins the break at last. so is it end of wawrinka..

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:43 AM
Djoko broke Wawrinka's serve and leads the set 3-2

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:43 AM
it took only 22 minutes to wrap up the first set for Nadal against his fellow country man at quarter final.

don't know how will Nadal play against Gasket today.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:46 AM
lot of unforced errors from wawrinka. wawrinka played a superb first set but cannot keep the same momentum later.

venkkiram
ஜொகோவிச் இன்னைக்கு ஜெயிச்சிட்டா பாம்பு மாதிரி சட்டையை வேற உரிப்பானே! அதையும் இன்னைக்கு சகித்துக் கொள்ளணுமா?

leosimha
guess when wawrinka smashed the racket, a point was awarded to djoko.

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 01:47 AM
lot of unforced errors from wawrinka. wawrinka played a superb first set but cannot keep the same momentum later. This sums up the difference between developed and developing.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:47 AM
ஜொகோவிச் இன்னைக்கு ஜெயிச்சிட்டா பாம்பு மாதிரி சட்டையை வேற உரிப்பானே! அதையும் இன்னைக்கு சகித்துக் கொள்ளணுமா?

:lol: :rotfl:

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:48 AM
djoko holds his serve and is 4-2 leading.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:49 AM
really wawrinka has lost the plot. so I guess djoko all the way.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:51 AM
wawrinka...come on fight it out as if this is your last game.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:52 AM
This sums up the difference between developed and developing.

very true.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:54 AM
you need to count how many crucial times the same backend approach backfired him!

yes...now I am seeing that and counting that too. lots. :(

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:57 AM
djoko leading 5-3. will wawrinka hold his server or djoko breaks to win the match.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:58 AM
now wawrinka doing some serve & volley.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 01:59 AM
wawrinka will have to break djoko to stay in the match or it is going to be djoko all the way to the finals.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 02:04 AM
Djoko wins the match after stickting to his gluttonous free diet. wawrinka :(

Arvind Srinivasan
8th September 2013, 03:14 AM
Wanrinka played probably his best match today. And Djokovic true to his reputation of never giving up in a match won another 5 set US open SF.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 03:30 AM
Nadal's serve has been broken for the first time in this us open tournament.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 03:50 AM
what's happening? nadal not yet unleashed his game.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 04:12 AM
nadal wins the 2nd set tie-breaker 7-1. nadal leading 2-0.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 04:31 AM
nadal leading 3-0 in the 3rd set.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 04:55 AM
wow...nadal wins in straight sets. convincing win. it is going to be djoko vs nadal in the finals.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 04:57 AM
Gasket very poor in his service. 2 double faults to give away the last 2 points to nadal and the match.

raagadevan
8th September 2013, 07:57 AM
Djokovic Wins Wawrinka Epic For Final Berth; Remains At No. 1

-By ATP Staff (ATP World Tour; News, September 7, 2013)

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/09/36/US-Open-Saturday-Djokovic-Wawrinka.aspx

Nadal Sets Djokovic Final Duel

-By ATP Staff (ATP World Tour; News, September 7, 2013)

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/09/36/US-Open-Saturday-Nadal-Gasquet.aspx

Arvind Srinivasan
8th September 2013, 08:53 AM
Should be one hell of a final. Really looking forward to this. All indicators till now seem to point at a Nadal victory considering the hot form he's in and the way Djokovic's played in the SF. But you might never know.

JamesDap
8th September 2013, 09:47 AM
Should be one hell of a final. Really looking forward to this. All indicators till now seem to point at a Nadal victory considering the hot form he's in and the way Djokovic's played in the SF. But you might never know.

Yeah, Nadal is the favourite. He has played his best at The Open this year after 2010, while Djoko has been very inconsistent. Wawrinka should have wrapped it up in straight sets and he conspired to grab defeat from the jaws of victory...much like his Swiss compatriot. It was almost like watching the 2011 semi. :/

Arvind Srinivasan
8th September 2013, 09:54 AM
And there's a possibilty of this being a 5 setter if Djokovic plays well. And there is also the question of as to how his body holds up if it goes for 5 sets. And another point worth considering is the versatility of Nadal's play recently. I believe he's using the volley more effectively than he used to say 2 years back and has mixed it up quite nicely all across the tourney. So its an uphill task for Djokovic imho.

JamesDap
8th September 2013, 11:19 AM
Definitely....I don't think Nadal was too bad at volleying anyway but he was defensive about coming to the net. He is taking more chances now and his reactions are really good. He is also using the drop shot a LOT and he almost never used it before. He will try to use the leftie angle to his advantage to win easy points on serve and pressurise Djoko. Djoko will have to play like his 2011 self again to win this one.

leosimha
8th September 2013, 11:57 AM
Three thoughts on Nadal's U.S. Open semis domination over Gasquet

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/dam/assets/130907202135-nadal-us-open-semifinal-single-image-cut.jpg

Rafael Nadal will meet Novak Djokovic for an Open-era record 37th time on Monday evening.

NEW YORK—Three quick thoughts from No. 2 Rafael Nadal's 6-2, 7-6, 6-2 victory over No. 8-seed Richard Gasquet in the second U.S. Open semifinal on Saturday.

1) This was every bit the turkey shoot you would expect of a match that Nadal entered with a 10-0 edge. Nadal dominated on serve (only one break point conceded, his first in 88 service games), in the return game (4-for-4 on break-point chances) and at net (22 of 28 points won). What's more, Nadal wasn't doing this to some top-25 hack who had no business making it this deep into the draw. He was abusing Gasquet -- the ninth-best player in the world. A man who had won back-to-back five setters — the first against Canada's Milos Raonic, one of the game's most automatic servers; the second against Spain's David Ferrer, the hardest fighting player outside of the top three. Against the rank and file, Gasquet's sturdy serve, immaculate backhand and Astairian footwork would have carried the day. But that alone doesn't beat Nadal. It takes a bit of luck and the nerve to take advantage. Gasquet came upon two such moments in this match: once while facing a chance to break for a 4-3 lead in the second set, and again later in the set when he forced a tiebreaker. He essentially blew them both on double faults. Such is the Nadal aura. He is a cut above.

2) What more is there to say about Nadal that hasn't already been said? Jimmy Connors put it best: "He plays like he's broke." (Thanks to CBS's Mary Carillo for sharing that gem on the air.) That attitude — desperation, really — has earned Nadal close to $57 million in the 12 years he's been a card-carrying member of the ATP tour; $7 million of that he earned this year alone. He could add another $3.6 million if he beats Djokovic on Monday—the $2.6 million for winning the U.S. Open plus a $1 million bonus for his back-to-back titles in Montreal and Cincinnati, which clinched the U.S. Open series. We should all feel so desperate.

3) It's enough to make you forget about a time when Nadal was truly desperate, when Djokovic gobbled up every title in sight and kept a weekend residence inside Nadal's head. When Nadal and Djokovic meet on Monday evening, it'll be for an Open-era record 37th time. It will also be to settle a matter between them that's been up for debate since 2009: Quien es mas macho? Nadal's win over Djokovic in the '10 Open final halted a run of three straight Djokovic beatdowns. Djokovic's victory over Nadal in the '11 final was the sixth of seven straight over the Spaniard. Since then, Nadal has held the upper hand, winning five of the last seven — the biggest coming earlier this year in a five-set French Open semifinal. I know what you're thinking: That was on clay. But Nadal hasn't lost on a hard court yet this summer. With the way he's been playing, he might not lose on the stuff again until next summer. By then, he may be rooming inside Nole's noggin.

Link - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20130907/three-thoughts-nadal-gasquet-us-open-semifinal/

leosimha
8th September 2013, 12:03 PM
Nadal, please no 5-setter against SUPER-NOVAk. Please reclaim your legacy in 3 sets. I know this is too much of an ask from my side. But you have it in you to do it. You will have to avenge your defeats for the 3 consecutive grand slam final losses to SUPER-NOVAk in Wimbledon 2011, US Open 2011, Aus Open 2012. You have it in you to defeat this guy. Vamos Rafa!!

leosimha
8th September 2013, 07:28 PM
COMMENTARY

More mastery for Rafael Nadal

Considering his knee travails, US Open final a monumental feat for Spaniard

Updated: September 7, 2013, 9:02 PM ET
By Greg Garber (http://search.espn.go.com/greg-garber/) | ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- If Rafael Nadal (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=261)'s knees were a building, they would probably be condemned and written off as an insurance loss.

After he crashed out of the second round at Wimbledon a year ago, Nadal missed seven months of ATP World Tour action, including the final major of 2012 and the first of 2013.

His ranking fell to No. 5, the lowest in eight years.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0907/ten_g_nadal_b1_200.jpg (http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0907/ten_g_nadal_b1_400.jpg)

Rafael Nadal is now a perfect 21-0 on hard courts this season.

When Rafa returned in February, on the quaint clay-court circuit in South America, no one -- even the ruthlessly optimistic Nadal -- imagined he would return to No. 1 before the season ended. Limping away on those creaky knees, he left this year's Wimbledon in the first round, dialing down expectations even further.Well, suddenly that No. 1 ranking looks like a very good possibility.

On a glorious Saturday afternoon and evening at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center, Nadal defeated Richard Gasquet (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=310) for the 11th time in as many meetings. The result was a predictable 6-4, 7-6 (1), 6-2 -- and it was predictably anticlimactic with respect to the gut-wrenching epic that had transpired earlier at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

Novak Djokovic (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=296) defeated Stanislas Wawrinka (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=264) 2-6, 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 in a spectacular match that ran 4 hours, 9 minutes.

No. 2 seed Nadal next faces No. 1 Djokovic in Monday's final.

"It's always the biggest challenge that you can have in our sport now," Djokovic said of facing Nadal. "I mean, he's the ultimate competitor out there. He's fighting for every ball, and he's playing probably the best tennis that he ever played on hard courts."

If Nadal wins -- and, even with a full day off, that brutal semifinal match significantly increases his chances -- he will find himself only 120 points behind Djokovic and will hold a commanding lead in the Race to London. Monday's winner will have won two of the season's majors, giving the US Open champion the inside track on Player of the Year honors.

Nadal leads the career head-to-head 21-15 and is 7-3 versus Djokovic in majors. But if you subtract his six losses on the clay at Roland Garros, Djokovic has a 3-1 advantage with the two splitting at the US Open; Nadal won the 2010 final in four sets, and Djokovic returned the favor a year later.

"Just amazing," Nadal said in his on-court interview. "You know after what happened last year to have a chance to play the final Monday is just dream for me."

This is how deliberate Nadal was against Gasquet: He broke his first service game in each set. He created only three break points and won them all. Gasquet ended the last two sets with double faults.

Nadal has now won 26 of 30 sets against the stylish Frenchman, including 17 in a row.

Rafa has won all 21 of his matches on hard courts this season, a personal best. His overall record of 59-3 is an ATP World Tour best and seems destined to conclude as one of the great seasons in history. For context, consider Roger Federer (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=425)'s three seasons from 2004-06: 74-6, 81-4, 92-5.

How hot is Rafa? This is his 13th tournament of the year, and he's reached 12 finals. The US Open would be title No. 10.

Nadal's serve has never been one of his leading weapons, but he won his only title here three years ago by ratcheting up the speed and collecting the requisite free points that success in this environment demands. Serving at 2-1 in the second set, Nadal had won all 73 of his service games and had amassed a streak of 88 going back to Cincinnati. But Gasquet, dogged in the breezy conditions, finally broke through -- on the ninth break point against Nadal's serve here in six matches -- to force the set back on serve.

Serving at 4-3 in the second set, Nadal faced two more break points. He eliminated the first with an ace and the second with another unreturnable serve. Rafa dominated the tiebreaker, winning seven of eight points. Gasquet began the session with his first double fault of the match and closed it with his second.

Historically, when Nadal is serving this well, he wins the tournament. Last year's French Open, the 2010 US Open and Wimbledons 2008 and 2010 are examples.

Nadal, 27, will be looking for his 13th Grand Slam singles title Monday, which would break a tie with Roy Emerson and vault him alone into the third overall spot behind Roger Federer (17) and Pete Sampras (14).

Gasquet was playing in only the second major semifinal of his career and, in the critical moments, seemed to lack the belief necessary to reach the next level.

Confidence is Rafa's strongest suit. Despite the obstacles his knees present, he has made at least three dramatic comebacks in a span of four years.

"Seems like after all the things that happened to me," Nadal said before the tournament, "it seems like it's strange somebody can think strange that I will repeat the same. But I think nobody of my family, nobody of my team who is close to me seven months ago thought about comeback like this."
Djokovic, too, has been impressed.

"He hasn't lost a match on hard court this year, and we all knew that over the course of last six, seven, eight years, hard court hasn't been his favorite surface," he said. "He has got injuries, many injuries on this surface, but now he looks fit. He lost three matches this year.

"With no doubt he's the best player in the moment this year, no question about it. I have played him already here twice in the finals. I know what I need to do."

Link - http://espn.go.com/tennis/usopen13/story/_/id/9647463/us-open-more-mastery-rafael-nadal

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 11:06 PM
Paes - Stepanek team got the first serve and leading the second 2-1. Good momentum so far. Hope Paes grabs this US open. The commentators talk about having Paes in the Hall of fame history for the records Paes holding so far in men's doubles and mixed doubles. Inbath thEn vanthu paayuthu kaathinile!

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 11:12 PM
The commentators raised a valid point here. Now with the prize money equalling among men and women's singles.. Still the doubles players sharing the prize money. Instead each one should get the amount what single player gets.

raagadevan
8th September 2013, 11:27 PM
Leander Paes (India) & Radek Stepanek (Czech Republic) win the US Open Men’s Doubles Crown! Beat Alexander Peya (Austria) & Bruno Soares (Brazil) in the finals 6-1, 6-3. This is Leander's 14th Grand Slam title!

Arvind Srinivasan
8th September 2013, 11:36 PM
Paes - Stepanek team got the first serve and leading the second 2-1. Good momentum so far. Hope Paes grabs this US open. The commentators talk about having Paes in the Hall of fame history for the records Paes holding so far in men's doubles and mixed doubles. Inbath thEn vanthu paayuthu kaathinile!

Athilla enna doubt...Paes is an ATG in the doubles game. And the final was very underwhelming. Guess it was further excerbated by Soares' injury.

Brianengab
8th September 2013, 11:37 PM
:happydance::bluejump::cheer::swinghead::clap::2th umbsup:

venkkiram
8th September 2013, 11:43 PM
Finally a mission well planned, executed and triumphed.

:notworthy: Paes!

Brianengab
9th September 2013, 12:51 AM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/articles/2013-09-08/201309071378574856991.html

In 20th US Open, Paes reaches 30th Slam final :bow:

VinodKumar's
9th September 2013, 01:38 AM
Congrats Leander .. you are also one of the guy who attracted me towards tennis ... Mahesh Bhupathi where are you :lol: .. still remember Paes 1996 olymibc medal and great results in 99 grand slams ..

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 01:50 AM
IMO, Paes deserves a Bharat Ratna more than any other sports person of India.

VinodKumar's
9th September 2013, 01:57 AM
India la award lam :rotfl: .. I dont know what Amritaraj brothers achieved .. Paes is an ambassador for Tennis in India ...

P.S : Sania Mirza too because of her beauty :|.

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 03:46 AM
Vinod.. I am talking in general.. That includes all sports department in India.

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 03:48 AM
Three consecutive double faults in a game. Azarenka.. You do not deserve to be in final..

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 04:34 AM
Looks like Azarenka read my comment here.. Solid fight back and controlled focus brought the second set till tie breaker and she got hold of it.. Hopefully it continues in the third set. But no more double faults in crucial times.

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 05:31 AM
US Open is a grand slam where all the girls compete with each other to meet Serena in the final.

Serena - undoubtedly the best woman in tennis era.

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 05:31 AM
Serena serves faster than Leander Paes. :)

raagadevan
9th September 2013, 05:39 AM
Venkkiram: Azarenka played well in the second set; but... Looks like சோட்டானிக்கர பகவதி wanted Serena to win one more Grand Slam title this year! :)

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 06:01 AM
Venkkiram: Azarenka played well in the second set; but... Looks like சோட்டானிக்கர பகவதி wanted Serena to win one more Grand Slam title this year! :)

Sir.. last year US Open final had high ups and downs in first two sets and the decider one went crucial on both the ends thus match was fascinating till the end. This year, first two sets gone really well in spite of Azarenka's doubt fault disaster. In the third set, she looked over relaxing and not concentrating her game at all and Serena was right on target and used the opportunity very well. Its a cake walk for Serena to finish 6-1.

raagadevan
9th September 2013, 08:17 AM
Let's wait for tomorrow's men's finals! Hope both the players rise up to the occasion and give us all a thrilling and exciting match!

Brianengab
9th September 2013, 09:43 AM
செரீனாவுக்கு இது 17 வது கிரான்ட்ஸ்லாம் பட்டம். அமெரிக்க ஒபனில் 5வது சாம்பியன் பட்டம். இதுவரை அமெரிக்க ஓபனில் 7 பைனலில் மோதி 5 முறை சாம்பியன் வென்றார் என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 09:53 AM
நான் ஸ்டெபியின் விளையாட்டை மிகவும் ரசிப்பவன் என்றாலும் ஓய்வு பெறுவதற்கு முன்பாகவே ஸ்டெபியின் 22 கிராண்ட் ஸ்லாம் வெற்றி சாதனையை செரீனா முறியடிக்கணும் என்ற ஆசையும் இருக்கிறது. சாதனைகள் எல்லாமே பின்னால் வரும் சந்ததிகள் முறியடித்து தாண்டிச் செல்லனும் என்பதே என் பார்வை. அந்த வகையில் அந்த வியத்தகு சாதனையை சமன் செய்ய இன்னும் ஐந்தே தேவைப்படுகிறது.

leosimha
9th September 2013, 10:18 AM
:banghead: serena...when will you ever lose... guess that person is not yet born to defeat serena...

leosimha
9th September 2013, 10:26 AM
Victoria Azarenka.... :banghead: had high hopes on you....you lost it out.... :cry: :cry2:

venkkiram
9th September 2013, 10:26 AM
:banghead: serena...when will you ever lose... :cry: :cry2:guess that person is not yet born to defeat serena...

செரீனா சம்பாதித்து இருக்கும் வெறுப்புக்களுக்கு பஞ்சமேயில்லை. இதுல என்ன காமெடி என்றால் அவரிடமே நிரூபர்கள் போன வருடம் கேட்டார்கள் "நீங்கள் எப்போது ஓய்வு பெறப் போகிறீர்கள்?" என. ஓய்வு பெறுவதற்கான வயதா எனக்கு ஆகிவிட்டது? நான் இன்னும் சிறியவள்தான் என அந்தக் கேள்வியை எதிர் கொண்டார்.

JamesDap
9th September 2013, 11:00 AM
Double faulting seems to have become a chronic problem in WTA, except Serena, that is. First it was Sharapova at RG, then Lisicki at Wimbledon and now Azarenka. Even if Graf never served as fast as Venus or Serena at least she was consistent. None of these current players will be able to even seriously threaten Serena unless they become consistent. It's not just about Serena's sheer power and athleticism, she is also very consistent and every great Grand Slam champion has that quality first and foremost.

raagadevan
9th September 2013, 05:19 PM
"Age is just a number to look at and smile: Leander Paes"

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/us-open-2013/indian-challenge/Age-is-just-a-number-to-look-at-and-smile-Leander-Paes/articleshow/22431808.cms

raagadevan
9th September 2013, 11:43 PM
Leander Adrian Paes: Making Indians proud since 1991

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/us-open-2013/indian-challenge/Leander-Adrian-Paes-Making-Indians-proud-since-1991/articleshow/22437658.cms

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 03:10 AM
Final ::

Nadal broken Djoko's serve and leading 3-1 in the first set. Match already in fire now.

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 03:26 AM
Nadal got the first set with a massive lead 6-2 against Djoko. Hope this momentum will be the same till the end!

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 04:37 AM
Djoko found this rythem and grabbed the second set by 6-3 and also leads the third set by 2-0. Oh! Boy! I don't want to see one another 5 setters and Djoko holds the cup! No..No..

Arvind Srinivasan
10th September 2013, 04:59 AM
venki...Just relax and enjoy the game. Why give a damn as to who wins in the end.

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 05:42 AM
AS.you are right. Final match itself is like a tie breaker. And Nadal got the third set. One thing the whole world continues to witness is, the best finalists the tennis ever produced. 54 shots rally Mind blowing. Such games bring all fans across globe into one single focus point. Tennis.

raagadevan
10th September 2013, 06:03 AM
WOW! What a match! King of the clay court is now King of hard court too; and also the reigning King of the tennis world!!!

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 06:38 AM
I could not control my emotions when Nadal laid down and started crying. I can understand what kind of thoughts he might have gone through at those moments. how many grand slam finals/ semi finals they both met and tasted the defeats! this could be a fitting answer Nadal gives to his fans around the world! What a tournament for Nadal ! And the the man of consistency Djokovic made it to final in successive years when the last year winner not even got through into semifinal. When they both play together, the level of intensity is more! And they both respects each other. Great sportsmanship shown by them to the greatest sport of the world.

Arvind Srinivasan
10th September 2013, 06:40 AM
Great win by Nadal. A true champion. When almost everybody thought he was down and out with injuries, he's come out and proved them wrong. And spare a thought to Djokovic. He did quite well to reach the finals.

JamesDap
10th September 2013, 06:52 AM
Rafa just one way from matching Pistol Pete. And Roger is not too far ahead either. :mrgreen:

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 06:53 AM
Find of 2013 us open is none other than Wawrinka. His single handed base line shots will stay for some more years in everyone's heart. He damaged many players and entertained the fans until semi final.

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 07:37 AM
From telegraph:

There was a time when Rafael Nadal was simply incapable of winning the US Open in the eyes of the experts. He's now done it twice, injuries be damned. Once again, the sky is his limit.

"All matches against Novak are special," Nadal tells the Sky Sports team in the middle of his lap of honour around Arthur Ashe. "I felt I was playing amazing tennis but in the second and third he was on fire, no?" "This is the most emotional season of my career," he adds. "I really love the competition, the sport. All my career I dream about being involved I matches like this, you know." Rest and relaxation, the chance to revel in his success? No chance. "I play Davis Cup!" he signs off with a wry chuckle.

"Playing against Novak is always a very special feeling and nobody brings my game to the limit like Novak does," Nadal tells the US Open crowd before he collects a record winners' cheque for $2.6m, plus a second cheque for $1m - his bonus prize for winning both the Open and the US Open series in the run-up to the year's last major.
"I'm very, very emotional. All of my team knows how much this match today means to me," he adds before addressing Djokovic. "Congratulations, you are an amazing player having an amazing career. I'm sure you will finish your career being one of the best in history. Best of luck to you and your team for the rest of the year and the years ahead."

It hardly seems the time to ask Djokovic what it feels like to play Rafael Nadal in this form: "Thanks for asking me that question," he laughs. "Obviously I want to congratulate Rafa and his team. He was too good, he definitely deserved to win this match and the trophy. Obviously, it's disappointing to lose a match like this. Again, it was a huge privilege and an honour to fight for this trophy."

When they talk about Rafael Nadal in years to come, they will pay homage to the Spaniard's competitive genius - case in point: this four-set double demolition of the world No 1, Novak Djokovic. Nadal nailed his man to the wall in the first set before Djokovic found his feet and his game, but Nadal recalibrated, clung on and, just as it seemed the momentum was firmly with the Serbian, struck from leftfield. Unbeaten in 21 on hard courts in 2013. 12 titles from 13 finals. Two Grand Slams and two defeats in 2013. You're never done against Rafa.

leosimha
10th September 2013, 08:03 AM
wow...RAFA...you done it...congrats... :) you proved your critics wrong..... :clap:

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 08:09 AM
Steffi Graf:

Congratulations to Serena Williams on her 5th US Open victory, 14 years after winning her first Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows. Yesterday's win didn’t come easy – a credit to Victoria Azarenka who battled back from being down a set and 1-4 in the 2nd set to win the tiebreaker and force a 3rd set. But Azarenka couldn’t keep pace with the defending champion who came out focused to win the final set. A deserved win for Serena who now has 17 Grand Slam titles and, at 31 years old, is the oldest woman to be ranked No. 1.

raagadevan
10th September 2013, 08:11 AM
Rafa wins today's prize money of $2,600,000 and a bonus cheque for $1,000,000 (for winning the 2013 Emirates Airline US Open Series Bonus Challenge)!

raagadevan
10th September 2013, 08:15 AM
Nadal Defeats Djokovic For US Open Title

By ATP Staff (ATP World Tour News, September 9, 2013)
|
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/09/37/US-Open-Final-Djokovic-Nadal.aspx

leosimha
10th September 2013, 08:27 AM
I thought Rafa will be World No. 1 after this US Open win. Last year Novak didn't win the slam, right?

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 08:31 AM
Djokovic Applauding Nadal's Forehand Shot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_G4lEoEw2A

leosimha
10th September 2013, 11:27 AM
AS.you are right. Final match itself is like a tie breaker. And Nadal got the third set. One thing the whole world continues to witness is, the best finalists the tennis ever produced. 54 shots rally Mind blowing. Such games bring all fans across globe into one single focus point. Tennis.

Just watched the video. Mindblowing. Is this the longest rally ever? it would have been a beauty had Nadal won it instead of that backhand unforced error into the net.

leosimha
10th September 2013, 11:29 AM
I thought Rafa will be World No. 1 after this US Open win. Last year Novak didn't win the slam, right?

oh yes. Nadal is just 120 points behind Novak. Last year Novak was the Finalist and has retained 1200 points.

leosimha
10th September 2013, 11:32 AM
Steffi Graf:

Congratulations to Serena Williams on her 5th US Open victory, 14 years after winning her first Grand Slam at Flushing Meadows. Yesterday's win didn’t come easy – a credit to Victoria Azarenka who battled back from being down a set and 1-4 in the 2nd set to win the tiebreaker and force a 3rd set. But Azarenka couldn’t keep pace with the defending champion who came out focused to win the final set. A deserved win for Serena who now has 17 Grand Slam titles and, at 31 years old, is the oldest woman to be ranked No. 1.

To be very frank, in my opinion, I don't think Serena doesn't deserve to be the greatest just because she is winning slams and might equal or break Steffi Graf's 22 Grand Slams because Serena never didn't have a very fitting rival or competition.

Whereas Steffi Graf won 22 Grand Slams she won it over her very competitive rivals.

omega
10th September 2013, 04:17 PM
Congrats Rafa on a well deserved 2013 US Open crown..
Terrific come back.. Hope you go on to win the missing WTF this year. Anything is possible for you.

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 06:02 PM
Why Raha grips the cup with the teeth? Is it a style he continues to do? My son could not stop his laughing while watching that.

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 06:07 PM
In yesterday's match against Djoko, one strategy which Nadal planned, executed and won was that slicing deep into Djoko's back hand side and waiting for the cross court back end and responding heavily with the baseline forehand.

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 06:14 PM
S&V becomes S&F for Nadal and he maintains the same V shape like other legends acheive from S&V and how many times he shown consistency in that. Its a treat to watch that again and again. Foot work.

leosimha
10th September 2013, 06:14 PM
Why Raha grips the cup with the teeth? Is it a style he continues to do? My son could not stop his laughing while watching that.

it is his trademark style since the first cup he won. yes, he will continue to do so if he wins grand slams.

on the other side, it could be taken as that it is a reality for him that he indeed has won the cup. :) (just like how we pinch ourself to see if it is a reality or not)

leosimha
10th September 2013, 06:16 PM
In yesterday's match against Djoko, one strategy which Nadal planned, executed and won was that slicing deep into Djoko's back hand side and waiting for the cross court back end and responding heavily with the baseline forehand.

:clap: there is a article which talks about Nadal's brains and brawns :) It also says that he is best player in adapting to various strategies.

ajithfederer
10th September 2013, 06:41 PM
Usual victory celebration. That's what he has been doing after every win.

raagadevan
10th September 2013, 06:47 PM
it is his trademark style since the first cup he won. yes, he will continue to do so if he wins grand slams.
on the other side, it could be taken as that it is a reality for him that he indeed has won the cup. :) (just like how we pinch ourself to see if it is a reality or not)

I also remember reading somewhere that biting the trophy is an old Manacor tradition; the true sign of a champion and hero.

raagadevan
10th September 2013, 07:08 PM
Murray seals ATP Tour finals spot, Federer struggling

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Murray-seals-ATP-Tour-finals-spot-Federer-struggling/articleshow/22459778.cms

ajithfederer
10th September 2013, 07:12 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1266852_10151719786876026_2105331931_o.jpg

JamesDap
10th September 2013, 09:37 PM
To be very frank, in my opinion, I don't think Serena doesn't deserve to be the greatest just because she is winning slams and might equal or break Steffi Graf's 22 Grand Slams because Serena never didn't have a very fitting rival or competition.

Whereas Steffi Graf won 22 Grand Slams she won it over her very competitive rivals.

Well the picture could have been even more different had Monica Seles not been stabbed by a deranged Graf fanatic. Serena did face stiff competition from around 2005 to 2007 when Henin, Clistjers, Mauresmo, Sharapova were all in full flow. But that also coincides with a lean patch for her. :mrgreen: As with the Seles 'if', this will also be an if with the rider that a player can only play the competition she faces. At the end of the day, it's not Serena's fault if nobody over the last so many years has learnt to even serve like her.

leosimha
10th September 2013, 10:54 PM
Well the picture could have been even more different had Monica Seles not been stabbed by a deranged Graf fanatic. Serena did face stiff competition from around 2005 to 2007 when Henin, Clistjers, Mauresmo, Sharapova were all in full flow. But that also coincides with a lean patch for her. :mrgreen: As with the Seles 'if', this will also be an if with the rider that a player can only play the competition she faces. At the end of the day, it's not Serena's fault if nobody over the last so many years has learnt to even serve like her.

yes...very true...the rivalry between Steffi and Monica is an unfinished one. But I would like to call Serena a Erumai Maadu (no racial discrimination or pun intended). :razz:

venkkiram
10th September 2013, 11:07 PM
yes...very true...the rivalry between Steffi and Monica is an unfinished one. But I would like to call Serena a Erumai Maadu (no racial discrimination or pun intended). :razz: Yes its a racial discrimination.

leosimha
10th September 2013, 11:25 PM
Yes its a racial discrimination.

What I meant was Erumai Maadu veyil-a evalu neram aannallum nikkum tired aagaathu...athey maathiri idhu-vum tired aagaathu field-la erangita... evalu neram vilayaadinaallum :lol2:

leosimha
11th September 2013, 10:24 AM
September 10, 2013, 2:52 pm

The Turning Point of the Nadal-Djokovic Match

By GEOFF MACDONALD (http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/author/geoff-macdonald/)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/09/10/sports/tennis/10rafa_straightsets/10rafa_straightsets-blog480.jpg
Stan Honda/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Rafael Nadal knew his third set victory was pivotal in beating Novak Djokovic in the United States Open final.

Rafael Nadal came back from the precipice in the ninth game of the pivotal third set, saving three straight break points to wrest control from Novak Djokovic and turn the match in his favor. It was a stunning reversal of fortune for Djokovic, who was a point away from serving for a two-sets-to-one lead with the wind at his back.

Instead, Nadal’s tenacity and will prevailed, and when he broke Djokovic to clinch the third set, he also broke the Serb’s fighting spirit. Nadal ran out the fourth set, 6-1, as a beaten Djokovic put up only nominal resistance.

What happened? How did Nadal win the third set when Djokovic appeared to be in control?

I thought Djokovic missed a big opportunity to break serve early in the set, when Nadal served at 0-2 (having himself played a rare, dispirited game to be broken to open the third set) and again at 1-3. Even though Djokovic’s level of play was rising, he let Nadal hang around and stay close.

After elevating his game to win the second set and secure an early break in the third, Djokovic was unable to go for the jugular and break Nadal again. He played a few loose points, which gave Nadal hope at a point in the match where Djokovic’s best tennis was dominating Nadal. It’s a seductive feeling to win such incredible points in a Grand Slam final. But those missed service returns count, too, although the remarkable winner seems more important.

Still, at 4-4, Djokovic played three astonishing points, including one in which he stretched wide and ripped a deep, neutralizing forehand up the middle that tripped up a surprised Nadal, who toppled to the court as his feet got tangled together. Remarkably, even as he fell backward to the court, Nadal’s eyes remained on the ball. But he lost the point, and after another dominating point by Djokovic, in which the Serb timed a backhand return perfectly, Nadal faced three break points.

In hindsight, the match was won in the ensuing five points. Nadal went on the offensive, hitting out on his groundstrokes, moving up in the court to control court positioning and take the ball early. He also served with remarkable precision, including an ace up the T at 30-40 that surprised Djokovic, who was expecting the wide slice, Nadal’s favorite serve. It was a bold decision to go up the middle, but it worked beautifully. When he finally got an ad on his serve, Nadal attacked the net, pounding an overhead into the stands as an exclamation point to his improbable third-set comeback. When he broke a stunned Djokovic to win the third set, Nadal bellowed, “Vamos!” as a dejected Djokovic walked slowly to his chair.

Link - http://straightsets.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/the-turning-point-of-the-nadal-djokovic-match/?_r=0

leosimha
11th September 2013, 10:29 AM
King of Clay, now Comeback King - Rafael Nadal extends his reign to hard courts with US Open win

Tuesday, Sep 10, 2013, 10:05 IST | Agency: DNA Web Team

The French Open champion added the US Open to claim his second Grand Slam title of the year.

http://static.dnaindia.com/images/cache/1886820.jpgRafael Nadal with the US Open trophy - AFP

It was a blockbuster US Open final (http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1886049/report-in-contrasting-styles-novak-djokovic-rafael-nadal-set-up-us-open-blockbuster-final) that the fans were expecting as Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal clashed. The top two players in men's tennis did not disappoint as they had a titanic battle.
The match was not the five-set epic that they played in recent years but was a 6-2 3-6 6-4 6-1 encounter that saw a vicious 54 shot rally (http://www.dnaindia.com/videos/1886782) played by the players.

Rafael Nadal won the title at Flushing Meadows (http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1886752/report-rafael-nadal-proves-too-much-for-novak-djokovic-in-us-open-final) to take his hard court record this year to 22 out of 22, a personal best and the best mark among ATP World Tour players.

Another record that the Spaniard holds now is Nadal, despite his knee troubles, he is the only player to win a Grand Slam title nine years in a row.

Novak Djokovic's World No1 ranking also is not safe (http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1886775/report-us-open-runner-up-novak-djokovic-feels-may-lose-no1-spot-to-incredible-rafael-nadal) as the 27-year-old US and French Open champion who missed out the latter half of 2012 has no points to defend and could finish the year as top seed.

The match on Monday night saw, Nadal hold his nerve and play big as Djokovic kept fluctuating from poor to awesome to spectacular. The World No2 kept his level of play constant and was able to brave the Serb's second and early third set purple streak of play with his own awesome shots.

Watched by Hollywood celebs, the Queen of Spain, tennis legends and other sports stars Nadal and Djokovic gave the crowd what they had come to see a super, high intensity match (http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1886443/report-us-open-novak-djokovic-calls-facing-ultimate-competitor-rafael-nadal-biggest-test-in-tennis).

With a total of 13 grand slam wins, Nadal moves ahead of Australian Roy Emerson into third on the all-time list behind Roger Federer (17) and Pete Sampras (14).

After the doubts last year and post his loss at Wimbledon a few months ago many critics had called for Nadal to retire but the tennis ace proved he is not just the King of Clay but also comebacks and now hard court as his win record proves.

As the 2014, Australian Open looms large, Rafa as he is lovingly called by fans will look to win his second title there becoming the first man since Rod Laver to win all Grand Slams twice.

Will he, won't he? If his knees don't give way and he plays the way he did in the US Open and the run up tournaments, there could be no stopping Rafael Nadal who is playing perhaps the best tennis of his career.

Link - http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/1886796/report-king-of-clay-now-comeback-king-rafael-nadal-extends-his-reign-to-hard-courts-with-us-open-win

leosimha
11th September 2013, 06:08 PM
U.S. Open victory the pinnacle of Nadal's unbelievable comeback year

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/dam/assets/130910074414-rafael-nadal-3-single-image-cut.jpg
Rafael Nadal collapsed to the court after beating Novak Djokovic to win his second U.S. Open title.
Clive Brunskill/Getty Images

NEW YORK -- Rafa fell. This was at his shakiest moment Monday night, before another epic comeback would make it just a funny memory, before the tears and his admission that the year had been "the most emotional one in my career," before the queen of Spain sighed, "Bueno" at the sight of him and kissed both his cheeks. But you couldn't envision any of that, not then. Rafael Nadal fell, and suddenly all of it -- the knee, the career, the man -- seemed very fragile. It felt like disaster at hand.

This was late in the third set of the U.S. Open final, things knotted at a set apiece, 4-4, but tilting Novak Djokovic's way, fast. The world No. 1 had been gradually peeling back the layers on Nadal's game, denting him with haymaker groundstrokes and crafty pace, and now with Nadal serving all momentum had shifted the Serb's way. A classic drop-and-lob combo made it 0-15 and then, just as another marathon rally began to take shape, Djokovic's tricky forehand sent him backpedaling behind the baseline.

And then came a sight that you could spend years on the pro tour and never see. Nadal's footwork is legendary, a key to his remarkable career, yet now his right foot snagged on the court at Arthur Ashe Stadium and he went down slow and fast, body parts flailing, bit by awkward bit. He looked like a man shoved hard onto a patch of ice.

"I never," Nadal said later, "thought I would fall down like this."

Still, there were two unusual things about his reaction: Instead of cushioning his fall, Nadal kept his eye on the ball and kept trying to swing. Over in Djokovic's box, his new coaching consultant, Wojtek Fibak, couldn't believe it.

"I was admiring him," said Fibak, the one-time mentor of Ivan Lendl. "Because he was falling in six or seven stages, and each stage he tried to hit the ball. He tried then ... and tried then ... and tried then ... and he still tried."

It's true. "Because until the last moment," Nadal said, "I thought that I will hit the ball."

And then he sprang back up and pointed for a towel, betraying not even a hint of embarrassment. If you're looking for a reason why Nadal, not Djokovic, is this year's U.S. Open champion, and the man who in essence if not yet fact is now considered No. 1, that will serve just fine. No matter the surface, the score or the state of his aching knees, the 27-year old Majorcan always thinks that he can hit the ball. His 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 victory over Djokovic on Monday, in the 37th edition of their now-record rivalry, was only the latest, most dramatic proof that almost nothing can keep Nadal from making his appointed rounds, especially the seven required to win a Grand Slam title.

Because even when the hole got even deeper, he kept hitting out. Djokovic still had Nadal on his heels then; another awkward point later, and he was facing 0-40 and the prospect that Djokovic would soon be serving for a 2-1 lead. And that's when Nadal reversed things, fast. A forehand winner here, a 125-mph ace there, an overhead smash to finish things off, and suddenly the 25,000 whipsawed fans at Ashe were all with him and Djokovic was looking dazed and there was Nadal throwing a fist at his box, holding onto a 5-4 lead. Djokovic responded by going up 30-0? Nadal put him back on his heels, ran down every ball to win the next three rallies -- and pulled off the crime of the tournament.

"How in the world did he win that set?" John McEnroe said on CBS. "That's stealing."

Worse. It was competitive murder.

"That's where I think Djoko lost his heart," Fibak said. "He lost his belief that he can beat Rafael on the day like this, in New York. Rafael just believes. His courage to produce the biggest shots, the most risky shots, like his forehand down the line? How many great cross-courts did Djokovic hit and then he has practically no time? How many times? Novak was in disbelief. He saw and couldn't believe: One, two, three, four, five, six, 10 times, the biggest points."

It's even more mind-boggling when you know that, during last year's Open, Nadal wasn't playing at all. Tennis has never seen a comeback like his: After missing seven months with a partially torn patella tendon in his left knee, Nadal returned in February rested and ready for a grind that, by summer's end, has traditionally left him spent or broken. His career winning percentage drops significantly -- 87 to 77 percent -- in matches played after the French-Wimbledon campaign; yet this year, to go along with his usual clay dominance, he won Indian Wells, Montreal and Cincinnati and carried a 21-0 record on hard courts into Monday's showdown.

"That's insane," seven-time Grand Slam winner Mats Wilander said. "It's unbelievable. But the important thing to understand with Rafa is that he's going to play himself into the ground -- again. And then he's going to come back and play himself into the ground again. He's always going to come back, and people are going to say the same thing every time."

That such toughness and resiliency off-court should dovetail with his playing style makes sense, of course, but it doesn't answer the mystery at the heart of Nadal's career. With 13 major titles, he now trails only Roger Federer and Pete Sampras on the all-time list; yet nothing in his background seems to answer for his relentless nature. He was raised in comfort and calm on an island in the Mediterranean, surrounded by loving family. Even the "intense" practice sessions meted out early by his coach and uncle, Toni, don't seem enough to create someone who, as Jimmy Connors famously put it, "plays like he's broke."

But, then, maybe his is too dark a read. It takes a special magic to play so bullying a style without being an actual bully, without leaving opponents unmanned, but Nadal has walked that line with admirable consistency. His on-court glower is a bit of a mask. He has few enemies.

"I'm in awe," Boris Becker said Monday. "I can't believe the attitude he brings to the court. He loves to be out there for three, four hours a day. He loves to be in difficult situations. He loves to be down and out. It comes from love. Amazing."

When Djokovic broke his serve for the first time -- with that astonishing, 54-stroke rally (http://tennis.si.com/2013/09/09/video-novak-djokovic-rafael-nadal-us-open-54-shot-rally/)-- in Monday's second set, conventional wisdom had it that Nadal would be gutted. Instead, he weighed the fact that the wind would be at his back and that Nole would be winded, too. "It's my moment to be strong and I'm going to have the chance to break back. That's what I think in that moment," Nadal said. And then he broke Djokovic right back.

"I don't think anybody's played the game with the same kind of positive energy and emotion," Wilander said. "No one. Not even Lleyton Hewitt and not Jimmy Connors. Even though they are the great fighters, apart from Nadal, they're not as positive as Nadal. He is always positive. He's just a new breed. We've never seen anything like him."

Nadal's astonishing run this summer even prompted a vague hope that there might be some bracing, transitive effect on the man he'll be paired with forever, but the gap between Rafa and the 32-year-old, sixth-ranked Roger Federer has never seemed wider. All of Flushing Meadows seemed to sag early with Fed's straight-set collapse against Tommy Robredo; the deep want -- perhaps, even, the need -- for just one more Nadal-Federer showdown, in this year's quarterfinals, felt like a realization that the most important men's rivalry in history was, indeed, about to be history. And why not? Taken together, Nadal and Federer may well have been the best advertisement the actual game of tennis has ever had.

The hangover figures to last a while, most evident when Djokovic and Andy Murray engage in matches that produce set after set of long, counterpunching rallies. Contrast of styles is the holy grail of tennis fans -- hence the chorus of "ooohs" every time Stan Wawrinka or Richard Gasquet uncorks a one-handed backhand -- but even at the top the cupboard isn't all that bare. Nadal-Djokovic is now the longest rivalry -- 22-15, Rafa -- in the history of Open tennis. And after this year's meetings in Paris and New York, you don't hear any complaints.

"As long as Rafa's in there, I think the rivalries are very interesting," Wilander said. "As long as Rafa's in there, there's a contrast in style. It doesn't matter how you play, because no one plays like him. No one acts like him. No one fights like him; he's lefty, he spins it -- so anybody against Nadal is a good rivalry."
Still, Monday night was as much about Nadal's battle with his health and his own body, as it was about any opponent. During the first days of his rehabilitation, he never doubted that he would be able to play pro tennis again. He did doubt whether he'd ever contend again for major titles. "Win two Grand Slams in [2013] is something that I never thought," Nadal said, and yet this year he has gone a career-best 60-3, won at Roland Garros and now in New York. When Djokovic's last ball flew into the net, it all finally hit him.

"Win against Novak again, win a final of the U.S. Open, have a chance to win three tournaments in a row now on hard [courts], it's normal that I was crying," Nadal said. "I came from another situation, a tough one. So all the things what's happening to me is a surprise, and it's the result of tough work, low moments. That makes the victory more emotional."

So when it was over, Rafa fell again. Twice. The first was the usual championship drop, but he instantly sprang back up to shake hands at net. Then, after dropping his racket, Nadal turned toward his box -- all the faces that have long kept him going -- and took a step on court. His legs gave. He collapsed flat onto his stomach, and lay under the lights and eyes of thousands, face covered, back trembling. Five, 10 seconds passed.

Then Nadal did what he always does, bad moment or good. He gathered himself, and got back on his feet. The winner's check was waiting. The queen, too.

Link - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20130910/rafael-nadal-novak-djokovic-us-open-final/

venkkiram
11th September 2013, 08:27 PM
Thanks for sharing this article. The reading experience is like watching a classic movie. The way the author ended this article melted me with tears in eyes.

:notworthy:

Nadal's footwork is legendary, a key to his remarkable career - 100% true.

raagadevan
12th September 2013, 12:17 PM
Saluting a triumphant trio

The Hindu - Editorial; September 12, 2013

"Rafael Nadal and Serena Williams didn’t need to win the U.S. Open, which concluded on Monday in New York, to join tennis’s pantheon; they have been a prominent part of it for some time now. Nadal had progressed from being a wrinkle in the argument that Roger Federer was the greatest male player of all time to being a contender for the honour himself. Serena, after her first-round defeat at Roland Garros last year, had dominated the women’s tour, winning three of five Grand Slam titles, an Olympic singles gold and causing former players of the stature of John McEnroe, Martina Navratilova, and Chris Evert to suggest that there hadn’t been a better female player."

"Another remarkable instance of mind over matter was to be found in the continuing success story of Leander Paes (40). Partnering Radek Stepanek, Paes won an eighth Grand Slam men’s doubles title to add to six mixed-doubles crowns. Doubles might not have the competitive depth singles has, but this doesn’t detract from Paes’s achievement. The oldest man to win a Grand Slam in the Open Era deserves his place among the finest doubles practitioners of all time."

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/saluting-a-triumphant-trio/article5117416.ece?ref=sliderNews

leosimha
12th September 2013, 07:47 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/10/article-2416993-1BBE9707000005DC-929_634x364.jpg

Link - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2416993/Rafael-Nadal-18-Grand-Slam-titles-sights-winning-US-Open.html

JamesDap
12th September 2013, 08:28 PM
^^^ Bizarre logic in that article, because for instance in Wimb 2012, Fed also beat Djokovic in the semi final. He had to play two of the top four players back to back and won. And in AO 2007, Gonzalez had beaten Nadal to reach the final, where he lost to Fed. So does that mean Nadal wasn't even as good as Gonzalez at that time? Of course I am not actually saying so at all but that would be the inference if we followed this table to its logical conclusion. Nadal was very much in the draw in those 'early' years too and from 2006 he was no.2 behind Federer until he took over after Wimbledon 2008. It's not so much Fed having it easy as Nadal taking a couple or more years to finally reach the level where he could be better than Federer in a few of the years if not all the time.

omega
12th September 2013, 08:39 PM
wow... brilliant article that one!!

VinodKumar's
12th September 2013, 11:13 PM
How come Nadal's bunny Roger can be considered as his toughest opponent ?

omega
13th September 2013, 05:42 AM
How come Nadal's bunny Roger can be considered as his toughest opponent ?

Its a vicious cycle. Anyway it is because,

http://i44.tinypic.com/260cs1w.jpg

Arvind Srinivasan
13th September 2013, 05:58 AM
I wish the guy can get a spring in his step and notch up another grand slam. A fallen champion fighting all odds for one last piece of glory. It would be great to see him do that.

omega
13th September 2013, 06:23 AM
I wish the guy can get a spring in his step and notch up another grand slam. A fallen champion fighting all odds for one last piece of glory. It would be great to see him do that.

I still bel18ve.....

raagadevan
13th September 2013, 08:28 AM

"But just as he had the last word at this year’s Open, Nadal may yet have the last word in the GOAT [Greatest Of All Time] debate. If he can stay healthy (a big if: he has struggled with injuries for much of his career), he is certainly capable of equaling or even surpassing Federer’s record. Were that to happen, the combination of major titles plus the winning record against Federer would make it tough even for the most stalwart Federer partisans to deny Nadal the GOAT [Greatest Of All Time] label. Beauty matters in tennis, but ultimately, numbers matter more." - Michael Steinberger in the New York Times; September 12, 2013.

http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/why-roger-federer-is-the-greatest-of-all-time/?_r=0

leosimha
13th September 2013, 03:24 PM

:bow: Roger Federer is simply the best considering his 6 ATP WTF titles when compared to Nadal's where he has not yet won one. Not only these, there is 4 AO, 5 USO, 7 Wimby and 2 Olympic medals, and 302 weeks of #1, this is complete pure sheer domination.

I am just wondering if Roger Federer qualifies as the last person for the ATP WTF 2013 at London's O2 and he goes on to win the ATP WTF. Just can't imagine. He will be simply the greatest considering him beating the TOP 6 or 7 people qualified.

Whatever Roger Federer has done is something GREAT...but whatever achievements by Rafael Nadal are something PHENOMENAL.....

leosimha
13th September 2013, 04:28 PM
Let's Hope Drugs Prolong Rafael Nadal's Great Career

By Jonathan Mahler (http://www.bloomberg.com/view/bios/jonathan-mahler/) Sep 9, 2013 11:17 PM GMT+0530

Rafael Nadal is back in the U.S. Open finals tonight, which can mean only one thing: He’s on drugs!

Steroid hysteria may be new to tennis, but it’s been swirling around the Spaniard for years. Many years. There are those bulging biceps. (Or bicep, anyway.) There’s the crazy power, speed and stamina. There’s also the guilt by association: A couple of years ago, in a memorable feat of journalistic irresponsibility, Le Monde published an op-ed by Yannick Noah that basically accused (http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/15815600) all Spanish athletes -- not just tennis players, but soccer players, basketball players, cyclists -- of doping. (“They are running faster than us, are much more stronger and only leave us the bread crumbs,” wrote Noah. “It's simple, we look like dwarves.”)

http://cdn.gotraffic.net/v/20130910_140400/images/bview/columnists/60x80/mahler_jonathan.jpgAbout Jonathan Mahler» (http://www.bloomberg.com/view/bios/jonathan-mahler/)

Jonathan Mahler is a sports columnist for Bloomberg View. He is the author of the best-selling "Ladies and Gentlemen, ... MORE (http://www.bloomberg.com/view/bios/jonathan-mahler/)
FOLLOW ON TWITTER (https://twitter.com/jonathanmahler)

Most of all, there’s the too-good-to-be-true story of Nadal’s comeback from injury. After losing in the second round at Wimbledon in 2012 to a competitor ranked 100th in the world, Nadal disappeared from the game to nurse the bum left knee that had been bothering him for years. At the time, it wasn’t clear if Nadal was ever coming back. He returned seven months later, reaching the finals of the first tournament he played, the Chile Open. Then he absolutely caught fire, winning six of the next seven tournaments he entered, before notching his eighth French Open.

Surely, no mere mortal could have accomplished this without pharmaceutical aid. In today’s game, with its grinding rallies and marathon matches? Ha!

For what it’s worth, Nadal has never failed a drug test. Is this evidence of his innocence, or of the inadequacy of tennis’s testing regime?

How about Option Number 3: Who cares? If there’s a synthetic hormone out there that can soothe Nadal’s chronically tender patellar tendon and offset some of the pressure the torque of his violent two-handed backhand puts on his left knee -- well, then, there’s a scientist out there who deserves our thanks and congratulation.

Who wouldn't want to see another 10 years “artificially” added to Nadal’s career? For that matter, is there a safe drug out there that can help slow the aging process for Roger Federer, who just turned 32 but whose days on the court now seem numbered?

Let the golden era of men’s tennis continue!

(Jonathan Mahler is a Bloomberg View columnist. Follow (https://twitter.com/jonathanmahler) him on Twitter.)

Link - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-09/let-s-hope-drugs-prolong-rafael-nadal-s-great-career-.html

I hope the above news is not true, but well, there has always been a talk for the past few years that many of the Spanish players and more importantly Rafael Nadal is involved in doping. If at all there is an iota of truth, then it is a pure shame on Rafael Nadal and Tennis.

Few years ago, there were some talks of matches being fixed too. Don't know how far it is true.

Brianengab
13th September 2013, 04:30 PM
The complete Grand slam era (men single)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grand_Slam_men%27s_singles_champions

Arvind Srinivasan
13th September 2013, 08:08 PM
Link - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-09/let-s-hope-drugs-prolong-rafael-nadal-s-great-career-.html

Dont think its true.

ajithfederer
13th September 2013, 10:09 PM
Enna kandravi idhu. This is not a legitimate news, leo. Tennis has one of the strictest anti-doping measures where they hound athletes throughout the year 24/7 at un godly times.

raagadevan
13th September 2013, 11:24 PM
"Let's Hope Drugs Prolong Rafael Nadal's Great Career"

These accusations about tennis players are not new or selective. Speculation on players' involvement in match fixing, blood doping and the use of steroids and other PEDs (Performance Enhancing Drugs) have surface even in earlier years.

For example, Roger Federer himself was accused of being involved in match fixing as well giving out insider information to his management company boss who was involved in betting on the matches (ref: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/492377-roger-federer-denies-he-gave-manager-inside-information-before-07-french-final). Federer was also accused of blood doping and the use of steroids/PEDs. (Ref: http://federerisdoping.blogspot.ca/2010/11/federer-linked-to-epo-and-other-peds.html ). Similarly, Rafa Nadal was accused several times in previous years of the use of steroids.

Federer and Nadal have so far passed all random blood, urine and other tests before and after their matches. The investigations did not find any evidence of Federer's involvement in match fixing either. Now they are trying to blame the tests and investigations as being inadequate!

raagadevan
14th September 2013, 05:15 AM
Here is an article that the same Jonathan Mahler wrote in Bloomberg View on June 24, 2013, after Nadal's first round loss at Wimbledon this year. In June, Mahler predicted that Nadal "will probably never match Federer’s total of major tournament wins", "and will almost certainly stop playing sooner [than Federer]". Nadal has now proven both of those predictions wrong. No wonder Mehler had to find an excuse for his own blunder, and cry wolf about Nadal's possible steroid use! What a pity!

Nadal's Loss Confirms His Awful Greatness

By Jonathan Mahler Jun 24, 2013 5:50 PM ET

What happened to Rafael Nadal? How did he lose -- in straight sets! -- in the first round of Wimbledon to the 135th-ranked Steve Darcis?

Every major upset demands an explanation. But the first thing to keep in mind here is that Nadal didn’t do a whole lot better at the tournament last year, losing in the second round to the 100th-ranked Lukas Rosol. (At least Darcis qualified for Wimbledon last year, which is more than Rosol had done the year before knocking off Nadal.)

After the Rosol match, Nadal was out for seven months, nursing the bum knee that has been bothering him on and off for years. (And which a lot of people in tennis predicted would end his career years ago.) He skipped the U.S. Open and the Australian Open, and had to withdraw from the Olympics after being named to carry the Spanish flag in the opening ceremony.

Then came Nadal's ridiculous return. Even Michael Jordan needed a little time to get his game back after his brief sojourn into baseball. Nadal reached the finals of his first tournament back, then went on a crazy tear, taking six of the next seven tournaments he played before winning his eighth French Open earlier this month. Now, just when it seemed Nadal had reasserted his dominance, he does something he has never done before: lose in the opening round of a major.

In his press conference after the match, Nadal refused to blame his knee, not wanting to take anything away from Darcis. But it’s tough to believe that it wasn’t the knee, or a combination of the knee and the grass, which is -- counter-intuitively -- hard on players with knee problems. Grass may be soft, but it’s a difficult surface on which to change directions, and it tends to keep balls low, requiring more bending. That's especially true on soggy days such as today.

So what does this mean? If nothing else, Nadal has lost an opportunity to close the gap with his long-time rival, Roger Federer. Most tennis fans prefer Federer; his footwork is more effortless, his strokes prettier. It’s hard to argue that history will remember Nadal as the greater player, and this is an especially bad time to make that case. But how do you define greatness? Nadal will probably never match Federer’s total of major tournament wins. (Nadal has 12; Federer 17.) Nadal emerged later, has been less consistent and will almost certainly stop playing sooner. As bad as he was today, it's worth remembering that Nadal is a warrior, a player who converts adversity into intensity. When he's at his best, no one -- including Federer -- is better.

(Jonathan Mahler is a Bloomberg View columnist. Follow him on Twitter.)

Source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-24/nadal-s-loss-confirms-his-awful-greatness.html

ajithfederer
14th September 2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.rogerfedererfans.com/forum/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-2-0-53110600-1350342128.jpg
Some records are not meant to be broken.

leosimha
15th September 2013, 04:02 PM
AS, af, rd - Good that the news is bogus and nice to see strict anti-doping measures being taken.

rd - Thanks for that article..seems this guy Jonathan Mahler is a Nadal hater and has slipped his tongue many a time. :)

leosimha
15th September 2013, 04:04 PM
Nadal and the fine art of surprise
Link - http://www.business-standard.com/article/beyond-business/nadal-and-the-fine-art-of-surprise-113091301116_1.html

leosimha
15th September 2013, 04:22 PM
Rafael Nadal evolved, tweaked and modified his game to complete one of the greatest comebacks

US Open victory defied expectations after serious injury threatened the Spaniard's career

Link - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/rafael-nadal-evolved-tweaked-and-modified-his-game-to-complete-one-of-the-greatest-comebacks-8812274.html

leosimha
15th September 2013, 04:41 PM
Nadal – God must’ve had a plan (http://www.dawn.com/news/1042410/nadal-god-mustve-had-a-plan)

SHAAN AGHA (http://www.dawn.com/authors/871/shaan-agha)

http://i.dawn.com/large/2013/09/5231d0b7a1c2f.jpg
Uncle Toni’s gift of the ‘reverse forehand’ meant that Nadal could hit the ball with an insane 53 RPS on it. -Photo by AFP

Updated 2013-09-12 19:41:01

In a pre-match interview before the US open final, Rafael Nadal said, “My backhand has completely changed from what it was two years ago, no? I now transfer weight onto my right leg to protect my left knee.” Mats Wilander took a second to imagine a racquet in his hand and animatedly checked the impact it would have on back swing, he seemed unsure. He was interviewing a man who was on a 21-match winning streak on apparently his least favourite surface, a man perhaps at the peak of his powers. Given that it was Nadal, perhaps not yet.
In 2001, a 19-year-old Swiss caught the attention of every tennis fan in the world; he had hunted down the lion in his own den. Pete Sampras was en route to a 5th consecutive Wimbledon title when Roger Federer showed a glimpse of the range, the courage and the absolute brilliance he was capable of bringing to a tennis court.

The years between 2004 and 2007 were arguably the least competitive years of men’s tennis. Not because of the lack of quality, but too much of it from one man. Federer had transcended and altered the level of professional tennis being played at the time; he won 11 out 16 Grand Slams in that period. But, it was not his numbers that had everyone in awe; it was the wizardry that had never been seen on a court before. It was said;

“He's the most gifted player I've ever seen in my life and I've seen a lot of people play. I’ve seen the Lavers, I played against some of the great players – the Samprases, Beckers, Connors, Borgs; you name it.” - John McEnroe

“We have a guy from Switzerland who is just playing the game in a way I haven't seen anyone – and I mean anyone – play before.” - Boris Becker

“He's the best I've ever played against.” - Andre Agassi

“I would be honoured to even be compared to Roger.” - Rod Laver

These were extremely generous words by people who knew a thing or two about the sport. Federer was still a few Grand Slams shy of Sampras’ record of 14, but eclipsing the summit seemed inevitable. Sampras said that Federer would reach 20. The murmurs of the Greatest of All Time (G.O.A.T) had begun much before he had officially gotten there. In 2006, The New York Times printed the classic piece “Federer as Religious Experience.” (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0)

Federer appeared to have perfected the technical skills and fulfilled the potential of aesthetic art in tennis. It seemed that God himself was in motion and He had raised the bar to a level of immortality.

However, in retrospect, God had other plans.

By 2007, Nadal had already established dominance on clay by becoming a triple French Open champion and earning the title “The King of Clay”. Surprisingly he had also reached two consecutive Wimbledon finals but had expectedly lost to Federer. Common notion was that it was as far as he could go on grass, at least while Federer was around. Intoxicated by Federer’s magic, many refused to read the writing on the wall when Nadal stretched the 2007 Wimbledon final to five sets.

The Nadal story is an extra ordinary one and perhaps of no coincidence. Naturally a right hander, he was forcefully made to play tennis with his left hand by his coach and mentor, Toni Nadal. He changed Rafael’s double-handed forehand into a single-handed whiplash. Uncle Toni himself was a table tennis champion which allowed him to further change Nadal’s natural flat game into a top-spinning extravaganza.

Uncle Toni’s gift of the ‘reverse forehand’ meant that Nadal could hit the ball with an insane 53 RPS (Revolutions per Second) on it. The ball did not just unexpectedly curl inside the line but also bounce like jack in a box. The high, cross court ball on the single-handed back hand of Federer reduced the Swiss to a mere mortal, game play custom made to slaughter the G.O.A.T.

Federer would come out with new tactics every time but it was the Spaniard that would usually come good. He kept pecking at the otherwise spotless career of Federer until the day he smashed the demigod into pieces. In 2008, Nadal was crowned champion at the All England Lawn Tennis Club. In the Mecca of tennis, idol worshiping was deemed forbidden thereafter.

Reverence hit an all time low half a year later in Melbourne when teary-eyed Federer infamously cried out loud, “God, it’s killing me.”

Nadal achieved beyond the predictions of many writers, fans and critics. They said his serve was weak, his volley not good enough and he played too far behind the base line, but, most of all, his knees would never be able to withstand his relentless style of play. Nadal simply stepped up to the baseline, added zeal to his serve and reach to his volleys.

By 2009, he had won a Grand Slam on all three surfaces, reached the No.1 ranking, had an Olympic Gold and was playing the best tennis of his life. In 2010, he got better. In fact, it was to be the most fruitful year of his illustrious career. When the last fort at the US open was overrun, he had completed a career Golden Grand Slam, something Federer had never been able to achieve.

When asked if he was better than Federer, he replied, “If someone says I am better than Roger, I think this person don’t know nothing about tennis.” Nadal had not just surpassed Federer in game play but also exceeded the extremely high standards of humility set by his predecessor. It was now Nadal who was raising the bar to unprecedented levels in men’s tennis, both, on and off the court. But he was not done, not yet.

Like Federer, it was not Nadal’s trophies that held the tennis world in a trance; it was the legacy that he was creating. He showed that hard work, perseverance and grit were as important as a good serve. He built biceps that a boxer would be proud of and muscled his way through his opponents who presumably had greater skill. He embodied physical toughness and personified mental tenacity. Virtues that defined his game were also changing the very fabric of the sport itself. In modern day power play tennis on the men’s tour, Nadal is not just the most powerful but is also its symbol of strength.

There is no tennis academy or coach in the world that would advise its pupil to follow the technique and style of Nadal. It shall remain unique to him and him only. However, he will time immemorially be an inspiration to all those who are faced with challenges in their lives. Those who are fighting against the odds, those who have career threatening injuries; anyone looking for a sportsman who defied his own destiny, to succeed, shall look no further.

The real world is an unforgiving place and it will always diminish the aura of its heroes by stacking them in a list of ranking. Inescapably, it boils down to numbers, like Michael Schumacher’s seven world championships and Jahangir Khan’s ten consecutive British Open wins, the magic number in tennis stands at 17 Grand Slam titles. It is now said:

“Nadal has performed at an unbelievably consistent level throughout the year; every match he has played he’s been close to perfection. If he stays healthy until he’s 30, he’s going to get to 17.” - Boris Becker

“If the Spaniard stays healthy, he can easily win four or five more slams. Rafael Nadal can surpass Roger Federer’s record. No question about it. To me, he's better than ever. It's amazing how badly he wants it.” -John McEnroe.

Having undoubtedly transformed into an all-court player, Nadal currently stands at 13 Grand Slam titles at the age of 27 and can potentially play 10 more before he turns 30. Only time can measure how many he will bag but one thing is certain, he is not done yet.

After Federer won his 17th Slam in 2012 at Wimbledon, Rod Laver said “Roger Federer certainly is my claim to be the best of all time if there is such a thing.”

Tennis fans around the world have long been split in two halves with debates and arguments invariably ending in a Federer and Nadal verbal. It depends on the brand of tennis you subscribe to; class and elegance or grit and perseverance, tranquility or a turbulent storm, Beethoven symphony or Heavy Metal Rock.

Their direct match up offers such different attributes that they do not seem to be competing in variables they personally excel at most. For a pure tennis fan it should be very easy to admire and appreciate both, just like apples and oranges. But, love needs little rationale and a sports fan needs even lesser, it is what makes the relationship so special and personal.
There is a belief that states, “Then He fashioned him in due proportions, and breathed into him out of His Spirit.” Federer and Nadal seemed to have crossed dimensions and tapped into the Spirit that is conceived to be Holy and omnipresent in all human beings. By exhibiting the infinite potential of the human body and mind they have galvanized thousands of aspiring sportsmen to find their own element of immortality.

When you have hit infinite backhands in your life by transferring your weight on one leg, it is no mean task to suddenly start hitting it off the other leg; changing your stance is a fundamental alteration. From the boy with a double-handed forehand to the man who is now the King of Tennis, the journey of modifying, adapting and reinventing Rafael Nadal has been nothing short of divine.

Link - http://www.dawn.com/news/1042410/nadal-god-mustve-had-a-plan

leosimha
16th September 2013, 03:37 PM
Rafael Nadal has what the Cubs need

Posted by Michael Miner (http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/ArticleArchives?author=847371) on 09.13.13 at 01:13 PM

http://www.chicagoreader.com/binary/cfa4/1379087837-522743379_41281593.jpg

Rafael Nadal: Seems like he'd make a fine outfielder

The reason I admire Rafael Nadal above all other professional athletes was on display at this week's U.S. Open final (http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/sep/09/us-open-finals-2013-nadal-djokovic-live), won by Nadal over Novak Djokovic 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1. Nadal's matches with Djokovic might represent the highest level of tennis that has ever been played—but what happened in the fourth set?

What happened, according to commentator John McEnroe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McEnroe), who won the same tournament four times himself, was the third set. Djokovic had outplayed Nadal in the second set and was outplaying him in the third set, breaking Nadal's serve in the first game and a few games later having him on the ropes at love-40. But somehow Nadal won that game. Then he broke Djokovic. Then he broke him again. Djokovic lost a set he thought he'd won, and he was finished.

Little can be assumed in sports, but I am sure of this: if the opposite had happened, if Nadal had lost the third set the same way Djokovic lost it, he wouldn't have let himself be blitzed 6-1 in the fourth.

In the second set, with Nadal down 30-40 on his serve, he and Djokovic played a 54-stroke point (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHsH69XKLE). The fans were beside themselves. I was beside myself. The rally ended when Nadal dumped the ball into the net, losing the point, losing his serve, and, as it turned out, because of that break losing the set.

But he didn't lose the match.

The quality that sets Nadal apart is his resilience. His will doesn't break. He seems unafraid of defeat in the same way a great soldier seems unafraid of death. It's what sometimes happens regardless of what you do, but there's no reason to think about it. He reminded me of Grant, taking horrendous losses but never breaking off the battle. History has more affection for Lee, who was more dashing, but Grant outfought him.

In 1980 McEnroe won tennis's most famous tie break ever, beating Bjorn Borg 18-16 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSUsIdF3rfI) to end the fourth set of the Wimbledon final. But Borg recovered to win the fifth set and the tournament. Shifting sports, Carlton Fisk hit one of the most dramatic home runs in World Series history, standing at the plate in the bottom of the 12th inning and willing the ball fair, as the Red Sox won game six against Cincinnati. But the Reds won game seven.

Athletes and teams that don't bounce back can sometimes make a strong argument that only bad luck kept them from their championship, but they can't argue that they deserved it. Baseball fans in Saint Louis still moan about "Denkinger's boner," the bad call at first that led to two runs in the ninth and a 2-1 Kansas City victory in the sixth game of the '85 Series. But the Royals won the seventh game 11-0. When Steve Bartman arguably kept Moises Alou from catching a foul ball in the eighth inning of game six of the NLCS series in 2003, the Cubs still led the series three games to two and the game 3-0, and the Marlins still had one out and one on.

Sometimes an athlete's most impressive move is a shrug.

Link - http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2013/09/13/rafael-nadal-has-what-the-cubs-need

raagadevan
17th September 2013, 07:43 AM
leosimha: Thank you for all the Nadal links! :)

leosimha
18th September 2013, 07:03 PM
leosimha: Thank you for all the Nadal links! :)

Welcome :) There are many many good articles on Nadal but I post only selected few which would interest the hubbers here. But sometimes I feel this thread would lose its sheen only because of articles on Nadal. There must be equal articles on other current Tennis greats like Federer, Djokovic and many past greats too where we can have a fruitful discussion. :) So I need to be very cautious while posting certain articles here :)

leosimha
18th September 2013, 07:12 PM
Nadal was 120 points being Djokovic earlier after US Open win but now it has been increased to 260 points behind Djokovic. Does anybody know how this difference got widened? Did Djokovic play any tournament to win another 140 points?

ATP Rankings

2013 ATP Rankings

Rank
Player

N. Djokovic (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=262643)

R. Nadal (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=184442)

A. Murray (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=285323)

D. Ferrer (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=183795)

R. Federer (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=168149)

T. Berdych (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=230655)

J. del Potro (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=318049)

J. Tsonga (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=272056)

R. Gasquet (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=183789)

S. Wawrinka (http://stats.oregonlive.com/tennis/players.asp?tour=ATP&id=243938)

Feddy is back to 5th from 6th.

raagadevan
18th September 2013, 10:50 PM
Djokovic boosts men`s ATP rankings lead over Nadal

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/tennis/djokovic-boosts-men-s-atp-rankings-lead-over-nadal_768899.html

How winning hurt Novak Djokovic

By Peter Bodo - ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/peter-bodo/post/_/id/429/how-winning-hurt-novak-djokovic

leosimha
19th September 2013, 12:21 AM
A HEART-STOPPING RIVALRY

http://www.sportsonearth.com/assets/images/5/0/8/60114508/cuts/180163113_3zgev1b5_09gu1q5v.jpg
Rafael Nadal celebrates victory as Novak Djokovic walks back to his chair, after their final match at the 2013 US Open. (Getty Images)

NEW YORK -- Years ago, Novak Djokovic had to catch up to Rafael Nadal, and then Nadal had to catch up to Djokovic -- and then in one match last evening, Djokovic had to catch up to Nadal, and then Nadal had to catch up to Djokovic, so that by now there has been so much catching up, so much upgrading, that the whole thing has exceeded tennis.

What they play by now is not just gasp tennis or can't-believe-it tennis or can-this-be-real tennis; it's something that soared out into the general, athletic wonderland, with tennis only the vehicle.

If you can't appreciate it, you're probably pulseless. Somebody should check.

For the first three sets at Flushing Meadow, the Spaniard and the Serbian found a level of tennis possibly unprecedented and certainly unsurpassed since the 13th century, when Louis X of France began hitting the ball and sipping wine at changeovers.

They played that gripping 54-shot rally on a break point, on Nadal's serve in the second set. They played the ones where Nadal's defensive shots came whooshing out as offense, at a level that was seemingly new even for him. They had the one with the Louvre of a drop shot from Djokovic. Yes, the match finally leaked air, and Djokovic leaked errors, and the whole thing pulled up shy of their five-hour, 53-minute slog at the 2012 Australian Open, or their unreasonably good four-hour, 37-minute marvel at the 2013 French Open.

Still, they forced the jaw to drop and the mind to foresee, beginning with this:

The 2014 Australian Open figures to be zany-hot. The long-anticipated lull for Roger Federer's long-dreaded recession does not figure to be much of a lull, lull-wise, after all. Plots abound.

The Nadal-Djokovic rivalry stands at a voluminous 22-15 (to Nadal), at a level so elevated that it's fascinating to think it still might escalate.

The Nadal-Federer rivalry might be gone, but the Nadal-Federer debate fixes to get fresh spice from a statistical wrinkle. A second US Open title means that if Nadal can win a second Australian Open, he would become the third man -- and the first since Rod Laver in 1969 -- to hold multiple titles at all four Grand Slams.

A fresh Nadal-Nadal rivalry burns on, seven months after a return from a seven-month absence for injury. That rivalry entails Nadal as the greatest clay-court player ever, versus Nadal as the player who suddenly goes 22-0 on hard courts, as he has in 2013. If that second Nadal persists, that 17-13 deficit to Federer in Grand Slam titles will desist.

Mixed into all questions of Nadal and Djokovic and Federer, there remains Andy Murray, 2012 US Open champion and 2013 Wimbledon champion.

The fantastic era born mid-last-decade breathes on, not least with its wealth of humility.

"I congratulate him, and I move on," said Djokovic, ever an exemplar in defeat.

"Don't worry, I will lose," Nadal said of that 22-0 hard court record in 2013. "Everybody lose." What about a possible calendar Grand Slam given his rampaging level of the moment?

"No," he said.

So even with Federer departing pre-quarterfinals in two straight majors, the sport boasts all this bounty, when the tangling wills of Nadal and Djokovic could suffice.

In 2010, Nadal beat Djokovic in the US Open final. Djokovic said, after Nadal's third Grand Slam title that year, "He has the capabilities already now to become the best player ever."

In 2011, Djokovic beat Nadal in the US Open final. Nadal said, after Djokovic's third Grand Slam title that year, "He's enough confident in every moment to keep believing in one more ball, one more ball."

Now they've had their 2012 Australian, 9-7 to Djokovic in the fifth, and their 2013 French, 9-7 to Nadal in the fifth, and their 2011 and 2013 US Opens, when they hit one more ball and one more ball and one more ball -- from such angles and inconveniences and with such range that the grind becomes spectacle, and astute voices wonder if the court needs widening.

"When I won this first set 6-2 playing, in my opinion, amazing tennis, was very happy the way I was playing," Nadal said. "I go to the chair and said, 'Well, now we start again, because I am sure that I am not able to keep playing at that level for two more sets. Is impossible. The opponent will play better.'"

And then: "We don't play that different style. It's a little bit different when we play against Roger. He has a different style. We are here (arms widespread); with Novak, we are here (arms close together). Talking about the styles. So that makes the matches more, you know, probably tougher physically …"

And then: "Between Novak and me, every point is fighting, every point is long rally, every point is more strategy.

"This is very tough."

Within that, the No. 1-ranked Djokovic said, "I'm still 26, and I believe the best time for my career is about to come. I believe that. As long as I believe it, the first of the love toward the game is inside of me. And as long as that's present, as long as I feel it, I'm going to play this sport with all my heart, as I did in last 10 years."

That means he strives to catch up. And when these guys catch up in this sterling era, it's gripping. For one thing, it's with all their huge hearts.

Link - http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/60112560/

leosimha
19th September 2013, 12:23 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and many thousands of serious fans observe great beauty in Nadal’s muscular tennis.

Link - http://blog.oregonlive.com/tennis/2013/09/roger_federer_and_rafael_nadal_1.html

leosimha
19th September 2013, 12:24 AM
Record in waiting?Many are tipping Rafael Nadal to break Roger Federer's haul of 17 grand slam titles. But how is the Spaniard's chase likely to unfold?Predicting the future is always a fool's game, but the odds seem stacked firmly in Nadal's favour.

Link - http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12040/8925489/record-in-waiting

raagadevan
20th September 2013, 09:15 PM
Back surgery set to end Murray's season

http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/239631.html

raagadevan
21st September 2013, 08:08 AM
Numbers point to seasoned Federer’s struggle to stay on top

The Swiss, seventh in the ‘Race to London’, as it’s called, is struggling to get entry into a tournament, which many recognise as the ‘fifth’ Grand Slam, he’s dominated for the past decade - a record six titles from eight finals. In an attempt to help him get over the line, the ATP tournament in Vienna has reserved a wildcard for Federer in case he does not have enough points to make the cut for the season finale.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/sports-news/Tennis/Numbers-point-to-seasoned-Federer-s-struggle-to-stay-on-top/Article1-1125039.aspx

raagadevan
21st September 2013, 08:16 AM
Murray's possible absence due to back surgery would also help Federer to qualify for the ATP World Tour Finals in London.

ajithfederer
21st September 2013, 08:38 AM
Kali kaalam.

Already won the event 6 times. No need to qualify with help of grace.

Murray's possible absence due to back surgery would also help Federer to qualify for the ATP World Tour Finals in London.

raagadevan
26th September 2013, 05:28 PM
Novak Djokovic announces engagement to girlfriend

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/off-the-field/Novak-Djokovic-announces-engagement-to-girlfriend/articleshow/23070898.cms

raagadevan
1st October 2013, 07:47 PM
Djokovic, Nadal, Gasquet, Wawrinka and Isner win their matches at China Open...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/djokovic-nadal-cruise-into-second-round-at-china-open/article14621205/

raagadevan
4th October 2013, 06:54 PM
Djokovic, Nadal, Gasquet and Berdych reach the semifinals of the Chinese Open.

Nadal had to rally from a 2-6, 1-4 deficit to overcome Fabio Fognini of Italy (2-6, 6-4, 6-1) in their quarterfinal match.

raagadevan
5th October 2013, 10:57 AM
Tomas Berdych retires while down 2-4 in the first set to Rafa Nadal in the Chinese Open semifinal match. This means Rafa will be ranked the #1 tennis player in the world irrespective of who wins the finals! WOW! What a come back!!!

raagadevan
5th October 2013, 10:27 PM
Nadal Returns To No. 1 By Reaching Beijing Final

ATP News - October 5, 2013

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/10/40/Beijing-Saturday-Nadal-No-1-Berdych.aspx

raagadevan
6th October 2013, 08:51 PM
"Sania Mirza-Cara Black clinch China Open"

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Sania-Mirza-Cara-Black-clinch-China-Open-title/articleshow/23599697.cms

raagadevan
6th October 2013, 08:51 PM
Djokovic beats Nadal for fourth China Open

The current champion in Beijing was at his ruthless best to defeat Nadal 6-3, 6-4, a day before he is set to be unseated at the top of the world rankings by the number two Spaniard. The result was Nadal’s first hardcourt loss of the season.

http://sports.inquirer.net/122915/djokovic-beats-nadal-for-fourth-china-open-win

raagadevan
7th October 2013, 07:12 PM
ATP Rankings (October 7, 2013)

1. R. Nadal(ESP) 11,160
2. N. Djokovic(SRB) 11,120
3. A. Murray(GBR) 6,895
4. D. Ferrer(ESP) 6,710
5. J. Del Potro(ARG) 4,925
6. T. Berdych(CZE) 4,610
7. R. Federer(SUI) 4,515
8. S. Wawrinka(SUI) 3,150
9. J. Tsonga(FRA) 3,115
10. R. Gasquet(FRA) 3,095
11. M. Raonic(CAN) 2,815
12. T. Haas(GER) 2,355
13. J. Isner(USA) 2,115
14. G. Simon(FRA) 2,095
15. J. Janowicz(POL) 2,060
16. N. Almagro(ESP) 2,030

raagadevan
8th October 2013, 07:29 AM
Ferrer Qualifies For 2013 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals

The 31-year-old Spaniard is the fourth singles player after Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray to qualify for the elite eight-man season finale.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/10/41/London-Finale-2013-Ferrer-Qualifies.aspx

raagadevan
9th October 2013, 01:24 AM
Top guns Nadal, Djokovic back Federer to reach World Tour Finals

Rafael Nadal, eyes the colour of melting chocolate, backed Swiss superstar Roger Federer to make the eight-man field for the ATP World Tour Finals, beginning in London in the first week of November.
Novak Djokovic, sharp-witted and sticky, the top seed in the ongoing Shanghai Rolex Masters, seconded the Spaniard, saying the former No. 1 was definitely a top-eight player.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Top-guns-Nadal-Djokovic-back-Federer-to-reach-World-Tour-Finals/articleshow/23748449.cms

VinodKumar's
9th October 2013, 10:31 PM
Murray Withdraws From Barclays ATP World Tour Final
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/10/41/Murray-Announces-London-Withdrawal.aspx

Namakku nalla news :ashamed:

raagadevan
10th October 2013, 04:58 PM
Roger Federer loses to Gael Monfils at Shanghai 4-6, 7-6, 3-6.

VinodKumar's
10th October 2013, 06:54 PM
Not sure where and how this is going to end.

raagadevan
10th October 2013, 11:31 PM
Today's standing in Race to ATP World Tour Finals.
The top 8 will qualify!

1 Rafael Nadal (11,490 points)
2 Novak Djokovic (8,790)
3 Andy Murray (Forced to withdraw after back surgery) (5,805)
4 David Ferrer (4,990)
5 Juan Martin del Potro (Plays Almagro in Shanghai QFs) (4,000)
6 Tomas Berdych (Lost in Shanghai) (3,800)
7 Stanislas Wawrinka (Plays Nadal in Shanghai QFs) (3,150)
8 Roger Federer (Lost in Shanghai R3) (3,145)
9 Richard Gasquet (Lost in Shanghai R1) (2,960)
10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (Plays Mayer in Shanghai QFs) (2,830)
11 Milos Raonic (Lost in Shanghai R3) (2,770)
12 Tommy Haas (Withdraws in Shanghai with back injury) (2,265)

raagadevan
11th October 2013, 06:44 PM
Federer Still Aiming For (World Tour) Finale Qualification

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/10/41/Shanghai-Thursday-Federer-Reaction.aspx

raagadevan
11th October 2013, 11:03 PM
Del Potro, Tsonga, Djokovic and Nadal reach the semifinals at Shanghai.

raagadevan
12th October 2013, 07:40 AM
Another rocky match for Federer

"You know Roger Federer. Always trying to put a positive spin on a bad moment. He was at it again after losing in Shanghai."

"The bottom line is there's no denying Federer's achievements are of historic proportion. No man has done what he has done in the game starting with those record 17 Grand Slam trophies. Federer, as Laver alluded to, can show off what makes him one of the greats, but future expectations need to be dialed back."

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/9801058/tennis-another-rocky-match-roger-federer

ajithfederer
12th October 2013, 10:42 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1385715_724220217592944_1194007635_n.jpg

raagadevan
12th October 2013, 07:29 PM
Del Potro beats Nadal 6-2, 6-4; will meet Djokovic (who defeated Tsonga 6-2, 7-5) in the finals tomorrow.

raagadevan
12th October 2013, 08:32 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1385715_724220217592944_1194007635_n.jpg

Really really well-done! :)

raagadevan
13th October 2013, 01:58 AM
Race to ATP World Tour Finals (London) - An Update:

1. Rafael Nadal; Points: 11,670 - Already qualified.
2. Novak Djokovic; 9,210 - Already qualified.
3. Andy Murray; 5,805 - Already qualified, but forced to withdraw after back surgery.
4. David Ferrer; 4,990 - Already qualified.
5. Juan Martin del Potro; 4,420 – Already qualified.
6. Tomas Berdych; 3,800 – Lost in Shanghai R3.
7. Stanislas Wawrinka; 3,150 – Lost in Shanghai QF.
8. Roger Federer; 3,145 – Lost in Shanghai R3.
9. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga; 3010 – Lost in Shanghai SF.
10. Richard Gasquet; 2,960 – Lost in Shanghai R1.
11. Milos Raonic; 2,770 – Lost in Shanghai R3.
12. Tommy Haas; 2,265 – Withdraws in Shanghai R3 due to back injury.

JamesDap
13th October 2013, 10:52 AM
DP played incredible tennis yesterday against Rafa. Just hit him out of the court. Hands down, DP hits the biggest groundies on the tour.

raagadevan
13th October 2013, 05:54 PM
Novak Djokovic beats Juan Martin del Potro in a thriller 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (3).

http://www1.skysports.com/tennis/news/12040/8970841/atp-shanghai-masters-novak-djokovic-beats-juan-martin-del-potro-in-a-thriller

JamesDap
13th October 2013, 07:49 PM
Great match. DP lost out due to some poor tactics. More intelligent shot selection on crucial points and footwork, and it might have been different. Djoko just took the ball so much earlier and also got into the net zone much more, even using a serve and volley tactic on some points. And he also found an ace whenever he needed one.

raagadevan
20th October 2013, 08:09 PM
Richard Gasquet wins the Kremlin Cup; Tommy Haas wins the Erste Bank Open (Vienna); Jo-Wilfried Tsonga loses the semifinal match in Vienna; and Milos Raonic loses the quarterfinals at the Stockholm Open... All the four are potential qualifiers for Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London!

raagadevan
21st October 2013, 07:33 PM
Race to ATP World Tour Finals (London) - October 21, 2013:

2. Novak Djokovic; 9,610 - Already qualified.
3. Andy Murray; 5,805 - Already qualified, but forced to withdraw after back surgery.
4. David Ferrer; 5,050 - Already qualified.
5. Juan Martin del Potro; 4,420 – Already qualified.
6. Tomas Berdych; 3,800 – Lost in Shanghai R3.
7. Stanislas Wawrinka; 3,150 – Lost in Shanghai QF.
8. Roger Federer; 3,145 – Lost in Shanghai R3.
9. Richard Gasquet; 3,120 – Wins Kremlin Open.
10. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga; 3,055 – Lost in Shanghai and Vienna SFs.
11. Milos Raonic; 2,770 – Lost in Shanghai R3 & in Stockholm QFs.
12. Tommy Haas; 2,425 – Won Erste Bank Open (Vienna).

JamesDap
21st October 2013, 08:46 PM
Oh...so Federer has already fallen behind Wawrinka. Gasquet and Tsonga not too far behind. He may not make it to London this year.:(

VinodKumar's
21st October 2013, 09:00 PM
At last, Stan is Swiss # 1. If at all we are not going to see any upsets ("doing good") in Basel and Paris, I dont see Federer qualify for WTF.

JamesDap
21st October 2013, 09:14 PM
If at all we are not going to see any upsets ("doing good") in Basel and Paris, I dont see Federer qualify for WTF.

LOL....yes, it would be a big surprise now if he does manage to beat Tommy Haas-type players.

VinodKumar's
21st October 2013, 09:46 PM
I hope he come back well in 2014. There is no much pressure as he doesn't have anything to defend.

raagadevan
23rd October 2013, 02:13 AM
Era of big 4 - Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic coming to an end

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Era-of-big-4--Roger-Federer-Rafael-Nadal-Andy-Murray-Novak-Djokovic-coming-to-an-end/articleshow/24520722.cms

raagadevan
23rd October 2013, 07:24 AM
Berdych and Wawrinka lose first round matches at the Swiss (Indoors) Open; but Federer wins. The race to London is getting hotter and hotter! :)

Arvind Srinivasan
23rd October 2013, 08:31 AM
At last, Stan is Swiss # 1. If at all we are not going to see any upsets ("doing good") in Basel and Paris, I dont see Federer qualify for WTF.

Vinod, Federer is still the Swiss number according to the ATP rankings. But there is no denying that Wawrinka's been the better man all year.

VinodKumar's
23rd October 2013, 05:00 PM
I meant based on ranking only but not sure what made me to write that. Probably Race to London ranking paathutae ezhuthirukanum.

omega
23rd October 2013, 08:30 PM
Even Gasquet loses in his 1R match.....
Roger to play Istomin shortly....If Istomin plays the level he played recently against Novak (in Montreal) & Andy (in USO) then he can probably pull this off.

VinodKumar's
23rd October 2013, 10:12 PM
As you said he is already in trouble. Watched first match live. He was spraying lot of balls outside courts. Two things are clearly visible.. he is losing his temperament quickly and doesn't want to hang in there and wait for results ...

When he motivates himself for normal winners for his standard and for normal points .. pity him :(

raagadevan
24th October 2013, 12:57 AM
Federer wins 4-6, 6-3, 6-2!

raagadevan
24th October 2013, 01:06 AM
Swiss Indoors... Nadal withdraws; Djokovic does not play; Wawrinka loses in first round; Gasquet loses in first round; Berdych loses in first round... interesting sequence of events! :)

Arvind Srinivasan
24th October 2013, 01:47 AM
Swiss Indoors... Nadal withdraws; Djokovic does not play; Wawrinka loses in first round; Gasquet loses in first round; Berdych loses in first round... interesting sequence of events! :)

Everyone's conspiring to get Federer a place in the ATP Finals, I guess. :lol:

raagadevan
24th October 2013, 02:04 AM
Everyone's conspiring to get Federer a place in the ATP Finals, I guess. :lol:

I didn't say that! :)

omega
25th October 2013, 01:29 AM
Finally Fed will meet his clone (Dmitrov) in the 3rd round match @ Basel tommorrow.
Will it be a 2001 Wimbledon moment (the only time when Pete Sampras met Federer)???
Very excited to see Paapa Fed go against Baby Fed......

raagadevan
26th October 2013, 01:24 AM
...and Dimitrov loses in the quarterfinal!

Arvind Srinivasan
26th October 2013, 01:30 AM
Federer not anywhere near his best.Too many unforced errors littered all through the match along with the double faults. Anyways he's got the win.

raagadevan
26th October 2013, 11:27 PM
...and Pospisil loses in the semifinal!

raagadevan
27th October 2013, 09:32 PM
…and Roger Federer loses the Swiss Indoors Open final to Juan Martin del Potro (6-7. 6-2, 4-6)!

JamesDap
27th October 2013, 09:40 PM
RF won the second set against the run of play. It was not a great match, both players were pretty erratic. Ultimately, DP prevailed.

raagadevan
28th October 2013, 10:03 AM
Race to ATP World Tour Finals (London) - The Latest Update:

2. Novak Djokovic; 9,610 - Already qualified.
4. David Ferrer; 5,200 - Already qualified.
5. Juan Martin del Potro; 4,875 – Already qualified.
6. Tomas Berdych; 3,800 – Already qualified.
7. Roger Federer; 3,445 – Will qualify with Paris R1 win.
8. Stanislas Wawrinka; 3,150 – Suffers costly R1 loss in Basel.
9. Richard Gasquet; 3,120 – Attempting to retain final qualifying spot in Paris this week.
10. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga; 3055 – Could meet Gasquet in pivotal Paris R3 clash.
11. Milos Raonic; 2,770 – Must reach Paris final to have a shot at qualifying.
12. Tommy Haas; 2,425 – Must win Paris to have chance of qualifying for first time.

CEDYBLUE
30th October 2013, 11:07 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1396001_10151816386578075_600033345_n.jpg

Arvind Srinivasan
31st October 2013, 02:16 AM
Federer's got his ticket to London confirmed.....

VinodKumar's
31st October 2013, 02:21 AM
He made me very nervous at the end :banghead:

Arvind Srinivasan
31st October 2013, 06:24 AM
The commentators made a very valid point on how Federer's changed wrt closing matches. The Federer of yore would have never given the break in the first place.Its been a trait in his play for the last few years where he kind off lets his service game slip.

omega
1st November 2013, 04:58 PM
WTF already @ Paris Bercy...
The last 8 in Paris are the same 8 who will be fighting it out the next couple of weeks for WTF @ O2 arena London....

raagadevan
1st November 2013, 10:14 PM
BNP Paribas Masters, Paris - Quarterfinals:

Federer beats del Potro 6-3, 4-6, 6-3; Djokovic beats Wawrinka 6-1, 6-4.

Arvind Srinivasan
1st November 2013, 10:14 PM
Very good win for Federer. Will be a great SF between him and Djokovic.

VinodKumar's
1st November 2013, 10:21 PM
Yeah ..very positive game .. i thought he would choke after lost the break but played positively .. wins like this can motivate Roger heavily ..

JamesDap
1st November 2013, 10:27 PM
Some glimpses of magic today. Savour it while it lasts.

Arvind Srinivasan
1st November 2013, 11:41 PM
Just his second victory this year against a top 10 ranked player. Hopefully he maintains the momentum for the SF..

svaisn
2nd November 2013, 12:33 AM
BNP Paribas Masters, Paris - Quarterfinals:

Federer beats del Potro 6-3, 4-6, 6-3; Djokovic beats Wawrinka 6-1, 6-4.

Good News after a long time...he should have done it in finals last week :)

raagadevan
2nd November 2013, 04:39 AM
Saturday's semifinals...

Novak Djokovic vs Roger Federer

Rafael Nadal vs David Ferrer

VinodKumar's
2nd November 2013, 08:11 PM
WTF groups.

Group A- Rafa, Ferrer, Berdych and Warinka

Group B- Novak, Del Potro, Federer and Gasquet

:lol2: ...

Arvind Srinivasan
2nd November 2013, 09:18 PM
Djokovic gets the win. Federer's game deteriorated in the second set and the third leaving Djokovic to not do much to get the win. Not a perfect game for both players, but nevertheless another finals spot in the kitty for Djokovic.

raagadevan
2nd November 2013, 09:22 PM
After the first set, I was hoping for a Federer win today!

VinodKumar's
2nd November 2013, 09:34 PM
He shud have not lost the break he got early in second set.

JamesDap
2nd November 2013, 09:48 PM
Fed was just incredibly inconsistent. In one service game, he produced an incredible backhand winner to bring up 30-0 and after some atrocious shots, was facing a break. The game seemed to be on his racquet than Djoko's and he lost. Djoko just shrugged off his initial errors and began to play more consistently to wait for the inevitable Fed-errors.

Arvind Srinivasan
2nd November 2013, 09:50 PM
He lost his first serve and became very vulnerable with the second. I firmly believe that Federer's first serve is his most potent weapon and unfortunately it wasn't firing today. It kind off tailed off in the second set and by the time the match went into the third he became very loose with the second serve. But seeing the way he's performed in the last 2 weeks, I have some hope for the ATP tours finals. Really looking forward to it.

raagadevan
3rd November 2013, 01:21 AM
David Ferrer beats Rafael Nadal 6-3, 7-5 in the other semifinal!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/10/44/Paris-Saturday-Nadal-Ferrer.aspx

raagadevan
3rd November 2013, 09:39 PM
Djokovic wins the final 7-5, 7-5.

raagadevan
4th November 2013, 04:53 PM
ATP Rankings (November 4, 2013)

1. R. Nadal(ESP) 12,030
2. N. Djokovic(SRB) 10,610
3. D. Ferrer(ESP) 5,800
4. A. Murray(GBR) 5,790
5. J. Del Potro(ARG) 5,055
6. T. Berdych(CZE) 3,980
7. R. Federer(SUI) 3,805
8. S. Wawrinka(SUI) 3,330
9. R. Gasquet(FRA) 3,300
10. J-W.Tsonga(FRA) 3,065
11. M. Raonic(CAN) 2,860
12. T. Haas(GER) 2,435
13. N. Almagro(ESP) 2,290
14. J. Isner(USA) 2,150
15. M. Youzhny(RUS) 2,145
16. F. Fognini (ITA) 1,930

Arvind Srinivasan
6th November 2013, 03:32 AM
Not been a great match with respect to quality of performances from both Novak and Roger, but nevertheless entertaining. Never thought this would go the distance. Gearing up for the third.

Arvind Srinivasan
6th November 2013, 03:36 AM
And what does Federer do after winning a set? Just gifts the opening game of the next to his opponent. Dire

raagadevan
6th November 2013, 05:03 AM
Nadal One Win Away From Year-End No. 1

News - by ATP Staff - November 05, 2013

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/11/45/London-Finale-Tuesday-Nadal-Ferrer.aspx

omega
6th November 2013, 07:34 PM
Thats 3 straight loses to Nole indoors for Roger starting from last years WTF Final....
Considering his post Wimbledon form it is understandable.....

raagadevan
6th November 2013, 09:59 PM
Wawrinka loses a close match to Nadal; 6-7, 6-7.

raagadevan
7th November 2013, 12:19 AM
Nadal Clinches Year-End No. 1 Emirates ATP Ranking

From ATP News

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/11/45/Nadal-Clinches-Year-End-No-1.aspx

VinodKumar's
7th November 2013, 12:38 AM
I watched match yesterday till Fed gifted the break back. Couldn't watch after he double faulted in break point. Actually Nole dint play good yesterday. Otherwise result would have been embarrassing. Fed was blank in court. Couldn't move as he wants. Balls were going in air like cricket shots. He can take a break to get back the game. Playing continuously like this not going to help him. It will only dampen his reputed stats.

Arvind Srinivasan
7th November 2013, 09:12 PM
Federer gets the win against Gasquet 6-4 6-3, but not without some minor hiccups in between. Looking forward to the Del Potro-Djokovic match which is to be played later today.

Arvind Srinivasan
8th November 2013, 01:37 PM
Singles Group A qualification scenarios for Friday, 8 November

1) Regardless of score, if R. NADAL defeats T. BERDYCH and D. FERRER defeats S. WAWRINKA, then R. NADAL wins the group and T. BERDYCH qualifies 2nd.
2) Regardless of score, if R. NADAL defeats T. BERDYCH and S. WAWRINKA defeats D. FERRER, then R. NADAL wins the group and S. WAWRINKA qualifies 2nd.
3) Regardless of score, if T. BERDYCH defeats R. NADAL and D. FERRER defeats S. WAWRINKA, then T. BERDYCH wins the group and R. NADAL qualifies 2nd.

4) If T. BERDYCH defeats R. NADAL in 2 sets and S. WAWRINKA defeats D. FERRER in 2 sets, then T. BERDYCH wins the group and R. NADAL qualifies 2nd.
5) If T. BERDYCH defeats R. NADAL in 2 sets and S. WAWRINKA defeats D. FERRER in 3 sets, then T. BERDYCH wins the group and R. NADAL qualifies 2nd.
6) If T. BERDYCH defeats R. NADAL in 3 sets and S. WAWRINKA defeats D. FERRER in 2 sets, then R. NADAL wins the group and T. BERDYCH qualifies 2nd.
7) If T. BERDYCH defeats R. NADAL in 3 sets and S. WAWRINKA defeats D. FERRER in 3 sets, then R. NADAL wins the group and T. BERDYCH qualifies 2nd.

Arvind Srinivasan
8th November 2013, 01:38 PM
Singles Group B qualification scenarios for Saturday, 9 November

N. DJOKOVIC has won the group.
Winner of J. DEL POTRO versus R. FEDERER will finish 2nd in the group.

So a basic shootout for the second semi final spot. Looking good for a wonderful match up between the two on Saturday.

raagadevan
9th November 2013, 10:25 PM
Federer beats del Potro 4-6, 7-6, 7-5! :)

Arvind Srinivasan
9th November 2013, 10:28 PM
Was actually a very good match. A lot of excruciating drama for a tennis fan like me. So Federer vs Nadal and Djokovic vs Wawrinka for the Semi Finals tomorrow. Will be another great day of tennis.

raagadevan
9th November 2013, 10:35 PM
It sure would be; almost like the "good old" days! :)

Arvind Srinivasan
9th November 2013, 10:40 PM
A very interesting pattern all through the match was Federer losing a service game in each set. In the first he actually lost two before breaking Del Potro. He's still not 100% and would definitely find the going tough if he plays in the same vein against Nadal. Its still not confirmed, but one should expect Djokovic to go over Gasquet and reclaim the number one spot in the group.

Arvind Srinivasan
10th November 2013, 03:41 AM
So its official. The rivalry now extends to the semi finals of the 2013 ATP Tours Finals. And Federer's is 4-0 against Nadal here in this tournament. Wont be surprised if Nadal corrects that record.

omega
10th November 2013, 03:54 AM
What a gift for the Bull from his best friend the Maestro......
Fresh Bull to taste his first success against the dead Maestro at this indoor event tommorrow....

JamesDap
10th November 2013, 07:11 AM
I am losing interest in DP now. He has awesome power but he plays like women's tennis...hits the ball to the same spots with the same shots over and over. Federer was very erratic and DP could have won had he just used a little more variety. I see Wawrinka getting well ahead of DP next year, he's finally finding his game. And Federer needs to serve a lot better against Nadal. Nadal is also sure to target the backhand side, which DP didn't really try consistently.

leosimha
10th November 2013, 10:30 AM
What a gift for the Bull from his best friend the Maestro......
Fresh Bull to taste his first success against the dead Maestro at this indoor event tommorrow....

omega sir, please please stop this. :)

I hope you don't mention it as Spanish Raging Bull against Swiss Pious Cow. :)

raagadevan
10th November 2013, 07:38 PM
It could also be called the "Spanish Bull" against the "Swiss Goat." :) [Disclaimer: Some people consider Federer to be the g.o.a.t. in tennis.]

VinodKumar's
10th November 2013, 08:56 PM
Roger is playing his best so far in 2013 but his forehand unforced errors at bad times costing him the match.

VinodKumar's
10th November 2013, 09:06 PM
Not taking credits from Nadal but Roger choked himself in second set. He was awful :(.

Arvind Srinivasan
10th November 2013, 09:07 PM
Nadal gets it. 7-5 6-3. Not a bad match for Federer really. We got to see some brilliance from him at certain stages of the match.

VinodKumar's
10th November 2013, 09:08 PM
32 unforced errors vs 17 winners ...At least 20 would have came from forehand ...

Arvind Srinivasan
10th November 2013, 09:14 PM
His serve betrayed him again in the first set. Was broken twice ( he broke Nada though) and that in turn led to him giving the break to Nadal. And after that I guess it was all downhill. I personally think Federer has to get the first set against Nadal to have any chance of winning a match against him. The scenario has changed to the level where Federer's 100% may not be enough to get over line against the likes of Nadal, Djokovic. Sadly I am resolved to that fate.

raagadevan
10th November 2013, 10:07 PM
Roger Federer v Rafael Nadal; ATP World Tour Finals - semifinal match (2013): Running commentary of the whole match...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/10439079/Roger-Federer-v-Rafael-Nadal-ATP-World-Tour-Finals-semi-final-live.html

raagadevan
11th November 2013, 07:57 AM
Djokovic To Face Nadal For Title

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en/news-and-media/tennis/djokovic-wawrinka-barclays-atp-world-tour-finals-sunday-2013

Brain Game: Nadal's Attack

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en/news-and-media/tennis/london-finale-2013-brain-game-nadal-federer

Federer "Confident and Excited" For 2014

http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/en/news-and-media/tennis/london-finale-2013-sunday-federer-reaction

leosimha
11th November 2013, 08:02 PM
Cracker of a game today between Nadal vs Djokovic today. Wishes for Nadal and Djokovic for an entertaining game.

raagadevan
12th November 2013, 03:41 AM
Djokovic wins 6-3, 6-4!

raagadevan
12th November 2013, 06:08 AM
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/11/45/London-Finale-Monday-Singles-Final-Djokovic-Nadal.aspx

EPIC Point of the year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMHnyhD_2xo