PDA

View Full Version : Thala Ajith's 56th Film-Vedhalam-Veeram Siva-AMRathnam - Anirudh - Winning combo

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

srimal
14th November 2015, 06:41 PM
Watched again at ags- omr... Screen 4 is tooooo loud..

Shruthi seemed prettier today and Thala was omnipresent... There was a running commentary from back seat- most of us were repeat viewers anyway..... Loved the movie and atmosphere.. !!!

Right now Jaya max is doing an Ajith spl... My longest Thala deepavali ever :)

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

leosimha
14th November 2015, 07:03 PM
November 14, 2015
Updated: November 14, 2015 15:57 IST

A cracker of an opening

SREEDHAR PILLAI (http://www.thehindu.com/profile/author/sreedhar-pillai/)

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/02620/15CP-tradewinds_jp_2620389g.jpg

A still from Vedalam

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/02620/6C3B5346_jpg_2620390g.jpg

A still from Vedalam

With Vedalam collecting the highest-ever figure of Rs. 15.5 crore on opening day, Ajith has proved his box-office mettle, yet again

Ajith is on a roll. His Deepavali release, Vedalam, has taken the biggest-ever opening for a Tamil film. It had grossed approximately Rs. 15.5 crore from Tamil Nadu on Deepavali day. As per trade sources, it has beaten the record created earlier by Lingaa and Kaththi on day one.

Today, Ajith (44) is riding a wave of popularity, especially among the youth (15 to 25 years group). In the last few years, this phenomenon has projected him as the heir apparent to Rajinikanth. It has been a fierce no-holds-barred battle for supremacy with arch-rival Vijay, for the Kollywood throne.

Though Ajith is not on any social media platform, his fans have tried to make social media their own. The rivalry between Ajith and Vijay helps to garner huge openings for both stars, and has only worked towards their advantage. In a way, the bitterness has created a halo around them, similar to the MGR-Sivaji, Rajini-Kamal rivalry of yesteryears.

Ajith, in his early days, was a romantic hero in films like Amaravathi, Aasai, Kadhal Kottai, andMugavaree. It was A. R. Murgadoss’s debut Dheena (2001) followed by Citizen (2001), which made him an action hero. After Dheena, his fans started calling him Thala, a moniker that has added to his aura. During this period, Ajith also portrayed characters with shades of grey with films such as Vaali, Villainand Billa. The actor’s strong negative characterisation in Mankatha (2011), Arrambam (2013) and nowVedalam (2015), has further expanded his fan base.

The conventional commercial mass hero of the 1980s and 1990s was a good family man, who took on the role of a crusader. Ajith, however, reworked the traditional hero concept, which had a direct connect with the youth audiences. Ajith came to be called the ‘King of Openings’, as his films took very good openings, thanks to youth audiences, who make up 90 per cent of the first weekend’s footfalls. It had its pitfalls, of course, as collections of such films fade after a terrific initial, as family audiences avoided his films.

In fact, Vijay films collect more in Tamil Nadu’s B and C centres, as they are made keeping family audiences and kids in mind. In a way, Vedalam is an answer to his critics, who said he cannot influence the large family audiences—the backbone of the success of a superstar like Rajinikanth. Vedalam had a U censor certificate (most of Ajith’s recent films have been certified UA, with Billa 2 getting an A certificate for its violent theme), making it eligible for entertainment tax exemption. Lakshmi Menon played the pivotal sister in a story that revolves around the sister sentiment. In the first half, Ajith plays Ganesh—a calm, friendly taxi driver who is an embodiment of goodness—while in the flashback portion, he plays Vedalam, a don. Director Siva got the commercial formula right, which not only made Ajith fans happy, but also brought in the family audiences.

A theatre owner from Madurai, said, “Director Siva, through Veeram and now with Vedalam, has made Ajith acceptable to the family audiences. We have never seen such a large number of women in our theatre for a Thala film. It is a clear sign that Vedalam is a super hit.”

Another major factor that worked in favour of Vedalam was its huge release across Tamil Nadu in the best screens with large capacity. For example, in Salem (which has the maximum B and C stations in Tamil Nadu), it released in a record 77 screens. The film has also taken a good opening in Kerala, Karnataka and international markets. As per trade sources, by the end of the first week, the film would be profitable from theatricals alone.
Meanwhile, two days after the release of Vedalam, Ajith underwent a knee surgery at a Chennai hospital. As of now, his next film will likely be with the same director, Siva, and is expected to release by the end of 2016 or early 2017. Till then, the legend of Ajith will continue to rise.

Link - http://www.thehindu.com/features/cinema/vedalam-has-taken-the-biggestever-opening-for-a-tamil-film/article7877428.ece

ajithfederer
14th November 2015, 07:17 PM
Bit of a very late entry into the party here. Had very low expectations for the film and was completely pleasantly surprised. Liked the movie and enjoyed the movie more than the recent Yennai Arindhaal but it is not a better film than YA. No rocket science there.

What worked (Lot of things) vs what didn't work very few.

The 1st half was a breeze. Comedy clicked (The whole white skin + baby face + innocent smile though very racist but was quite funny) better than Veeram for me/. Hell,i didnt think even sruthi could pull off some comedy.
Too many maaaassssss scenes and they all did tastefully. This will be a rip roaring hit among his masses.
The transformation scene,i expected it as i have seen similar stuff in Vaali and Villain. Keeps getting better. Must say he looked like a big bull in that fight.
Not many songs, duets especially. Siva has learnt from his mistakes in Veeram.
Aaluma doluma song. Too good. When i first heard anirudhs voice in it i mistook it as a call for prayer from your nearby darga... But in the movie looked very good.
Even sentiment scenes weren't overdone.
Avoiding louu - romance scenes between AJ/Sruthi and keeping it discreet.

What didnt work:
Dummy villains
Ajith bashing everyone in the pre interval fite. And in general being on top of everyone. This is where YA did it better.
Anirudh BGM except in 1 or 2 scenes in the 1st half could have been much better.

This is the first time i saw an ajith film with a lot of female audience and they all seemed to enjoy the film. Good family audience as well and they all laughed at the right places. Will watch it again or 2 more times.

thamiz
14th November 2015, 07:29 PM
WHY SIVAJI GANESAN WOULD BE IMPRESSED WITH AJITH'S VEDALAM?
Developed by : D Meera Chithirappaavai;

How many of you have got teased as 'Pasamalargal' while exchanging a special bondage between your siblings? Such is the impact films have on us.

Here we present to you the "Pasamalargal" of Tamil cinema who redefined the specialty of brother-sister relationship

source: behindwoods

thamiz
14th November 2015, 07:30 PM
Talked with my folks at my hometown which is a C center. VDLM is appreciated there to my surprise. They say it is a "hit" already!

vanchi
14th November 2015, 10:11 PM
Thala :-D :smokesmile:

chumma therikka vitrukkaru :smokesmirk:

enna expressions. vilayadirukkaru.

theatrela enna response. sema sema

long time such an amazing joyful experience...:victory:

yellow
14th November 2015, 11:59 PM
Watched it 3rd time @ Nataraj Theatre ....theatre full of visil and claps...i could see more repeat audience and family crowd.

1st time - Anjan
2nd time - Cinepolis ETA mall
3rd Time - Nataraj

Tomorrow again planning to GO for other theater ...repeat mode for Thala smile , transformation scene and Aaalma doluma song...
:smokesmirk:

yellow
15th November 2015, 12:02 AM
On Nataraj theatre for Soori comedy people are laughing :)....i don't know why comedy now working with family crowd and not with fans & critic for first day ..:banghead:

srimal
15th November 2015, 09:45 AM
Soori solra aasham = awesome nu nethu thaan enakku purinjadhu..

Ennamo.. Some people do like this kind of comedy

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Freedom
15th November 2015, 09:59 AM
Watched it finally. Lots of positives, but I guess Siva is trying to project Ajith more like Rajinikanth. Not sure how well this will go on the longer run, but it clearly seems to have worked from box office perspective.

Boat scene and pre-interval build up standout and ofcourse Thala stands out with his wild expressions and maniacal behavior.

I liked 2nd half better than first half. Scene where Ajith comes to pick up laxmi menon was awesome and gave me goose bumps.

Anirudh's Theri BGM was one of best buildup BGMs I have heard in a while, but otherwise very loud.

Siva clearly missed Santhanam comedy. santhanam would have worked wonders in this movie. Soori's comedy was very average. Infct mokkai

Overall I thought it was little bit of let down compared to Ajith's earlier movies YA and Veeram. May be the I expected too much based on online reviews and hype. The movie didn't have underlining current for beating up the villians to pulp. Ajith's reason for revenge kind of lacked the genuinity.

If you are Thala fan, this movie will be a cracker
Neutral - Ok for one time watch
Ajith Hater - You cannot put up with this.

Siv.S
15th November 2015, 12:35 PM
Bit of a very late entry into the party here. Had very low expectations for the film and was completely pleasantly surprised. Liked the movie and enjoyed the movie more than the recent Yennai Arindhaal but it is not a better film than YA. No rocket science there.

What worked (Lot of things) vs what didn't work very few.

The 1st half was a breeze. Comedy clicked (The whole white skin + baby face + innocent smile though very racist but was quite funny) better than Veeram for me/. Hell,i didnt think even sruthi could pull off some comedy.
Too many maaaassssss scenes and they all did tastefully. This will be a rip roaring hit among his masses.
The transformation scene,i expected it as i have seen similar stuff in Vaali and Villain. Keeps getting better. Must say he looked like a big bull in that fight.
Not many songs, duets especially. Siva has learnt from his mistakes in Veeram.
Aaluma doluma song. Too good. When i first heard anirudhs voice in it i mistook it as a call for prayer from your nearby darga... But in the movie looked very good.
Even sentiment scenes weren't overdone.
Avoiding louu - romance scenes between AJ/Sruthi and keeping it discreet.

What didnt work:
Dummy villains
Ajith bashing everyone in the pre interval fite. And in general being on top of everyone. This is where YA did it better.
Anirudh BGM except in 1 or 2 scenes in the 1st half could have been much better.

This is the first time i saw an ajith film with a lot of female audience and they all seemed to enjoy the film. Good family audience as well and they all laughed at the right places. Will watch it again or 2 more times.

Welcome back :thumbsup: Anirudh's BGM in the action scenes were too noisy..but he nailed it for Thala and laxmi menon scenes together.. especially the music when Thala looking at the mirror when Ashwin and his parents waiting for his answer was so beautiful :bow:

sakthii
15th November 2015, 01:14 PM
khushbusundar ‏@khushsundar 16h16 hours ago
Thala..unakku mattum yengirundhu varudhu indha kootam? #VEDHALAM..biggest blockbuster..
2,268 retweets 2,524 likes
Reply Retweet 2.3K
Like 2.5K
More
khushbusundar ‏@khushsundar 16h16 hours ago
Thala..nee sema style..kettavan aana lovable..
1,581 retweets 1,904 likes
Reply Retweet 1.6K
Like 1.9K
More
khushbusundar ‏@khushsundar
And 2nd half yet to start..yen Thala indha therikku vidura mass???��������

Thala. ...Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ...Thala. .Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. .Thala. ..Thala. ..THERI MASS������

shwas
15th November 2015, 01:18 PM
Vedalam portions..ajith comedy worked...he balanced sentiment scenes in that portion..but ganesh coming as vedalam bcam loud..is it because both were directed after period of time..siva messed up that part...same in siruthai..he likes loud volume

Siv.S
15th November 2015, 01:43 PM
Thala..unakku mattum yengirundhu varudhu indha kootam? #VEDHALAM..biggest blockbuster..

Thala..nee sema style..kettavan aana lovable..

And 2nd half yet to start..yen Thala indha therikku vidura mass???

Thala. ...Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. ...Thala. .Thala. ..Thala. ..Thala. .Thala. ..Thala. ..THERI MASS

she seems very excited.. :D

sakthii
15th November 2015, 01:46 PM
done!!

cm123
15th November 2015, 03:43 PM
Ok movie. Second half too loud. My telugu friend liked it more. The whole theri... fight was cut in Singapore.
BAASHA template is used effectively. They underplayed it and got success. Thinking red, anjaneya kind of movies can be fit for Ajith at this stage not earlier.

rifath
15th November 2015, 05:48 PM
Yes but I heard they will be playing the nc16 version with fight soon!

ALWAR_AJITH
15th November 2015, 06:43 PM
Finally watch it ... what a mass movie.. wow thala after thalaivar he set screen on fire.. theri response frm audience even 6pm show.. even they cut lot of scenes here still the movie is theri.. haters keep barking we want more!

George Thomas
15th November 2015, 09:17 PM
Rains would affect the collections a lot..

thamiz
15th November 2015, 11:58 PM
Yesteryear sensation Khushbu Sundar has expressed her admiration and liking for Thala Ajith quite a few times before in interviews and in her social media interactions. Yesterday, Nov 14, after seeing Vedalam she couldn't control her excitement and put out a series of tweets lauding Ajith and his performance in the film.

"Thala, nee sema style, kettavan aana lovable.. Thala, unakku mattum yengirundhu varudhu indha kootam? #VEDHALAM, biggest blockbuster.. Super entertaining film #VEDHALAM..Thala and Lakshmi Menon, director Siva has done a gr8 job.. Can't wait to watch it again..Thala, my George Clooney, pattaye kelappunga, namma THALAkku whistle podunga."

That's quite a fan-girl moment for Khushbu.

nickraman
16th November 2015, 01:50 AM
Rains would affect the collections a lot..

Not only India, France will be affected (for both diwali releases) due to the shootings on Friday.

Mahen
16th November 2015, 05:51 AM
Yesteryear sensation Khushbu Sundar has expressed her admiration and liking for Thala Ajith quite a few times before in interviews and in her social media interactions. Yesterday, Nov 14, after seeing Vedalam she couldn't control her excitement and put out a series of tweets lauding Ajith and his performance in the film.

"Thala, nee sema style, kettavan aana lovable.. Thala, unakku mattum yengirundhu varudhu indha kootam? #VEDHALAM, biggest blockbuster.. Super entertaining film #VEDHALAM..Thala and Lakshmi Menon, director Siva has done a gr8 job.. Can't wait to watch it again..Thala, my George Clooney, pattaye kelappunga, namma THALAkku whistle podunga."

That's quite a fan-girl moment for Khushbu.
Actresses are good in that..they get more fans/followers when they do that..ellam marketing thaan :) even actors too..good example is simbu..

PARAMASHIVAN
16th November 2015, 03:10 PM
+Ve - Ajith performance .. but his performances in YA/Mankatha were much better, he has put on more weight, if he does not look after him self and carries on, he will end like another Prabhu Ganeshan, as you get older it is more difficult loose weight, so he has to do something about it now ...

- Ve - well everything apart from Ajith, the movie is a testimony to one's intellect and patience!!! shruthi is gorgeous , but her voice is irritating to the core !, other than that yarappa intha soori ?? :banghead:

despite all the flaws in the movie, the movie will do well @BO, went to a Sunday afternoon show , and the cinema occupancy was almost 60%

Siv.S
16th November 2015, 03:16 PM
Actresses are good in that..they get more fans/followers when they do that..ellam marketing thaan :) even actors too..good example is simbu..

If followers are the kew she would not tweet like a fan girl.... she likes Ajith very much, i remember seeing her tweets in a same way during Arambham times as well..

Quite obvious the younger set of audience opted for vedalam as ajit was last seen in Feb 2015..

:lol2: Ungalukku enna prachanai ippo? padam pudikkala, ok we understand that.. but finding some reasons for its BO is Lolworthy...

shwas
16th November 2015, 03:18 PM
siv sir.. it is also possible that doing lesser movies will create great hype.... my feeling it should be max 2 per year one in beginning and one in end... do u agree ji?

leosimha
16th November 2015, 03:23 PM
'vedalam' (vedhalam) first weekend box office collection: Ajith's film earns over rs 50 crore in 6 days

by prakash upadhyaya (http://www.ibtimes.co.in/reporters/prakash-upadhyaya)| updated: November 16, 2015 09:47 ist

ajith's "vedalam" or "vedhalam" has turned out to be a big hit at the box office in its first weekend. The tamil movie has made a nett business of rs 50 crore+ in six days.the trade reports say that "vedalam" has reached the rs 50 crore (nett) mark in six days in tamil nadu alone. The movie has turned out to be a massive hit in a.b and c centres. Talking about the collection, trade tracker kannan wrote, "it's out & out #thaladeepavali at the box-office! Ajith's #vedalam already crossed 50 crs nett in tn alone! #atbb."

however, "vedalam" has been affected in chennai due to the unprecedented heavy rains. The tamil movie could have performed a lot better without the rains. on the other end, distributors are making good profits and salem distributor is on the verge of making record profits. "#vedalam salem distributor is on the way to historic profit.. Will be printing 2016 calendar with #thala #ajith picture for free distributn," tracker ramesh tweeted.

"vedalam" has made remarkable business in kerala and karnataka too. The performance of the movie in rest of india is not up to the mark.

when it comes to the overseas centres, "vedalam" has made stunning business in the us, uk, uae and malaysia. The gross business of the film is expected to have crossed rs 60+ crore worldwide. The exact numbers are not available yet. the performance of ajith and the good storyline are the crowd-pulling factors in "vedalam". We have to wait and see whether the movie could maintain the momentum in the coming days to set new benchmarks at the box office. "vedalam" has been produced by am rathnam and stars ajith and shruthi haasan in the lead roles. The movie is released in above 1000 screens.

article published: November 16, 2015 09:47 ist

Link - http://www.ibtimes.co.in/vedalam-vedhalam-first-weekend-box-office-collection-ajiths-film-earns-over-rs-50-crore-6-654934

Siv.S
16th November 2015, 03:37 PM
siv sir.. it is also possible that doing lesser movies will create great hype.... my feeling it should be max 2 per year one in beginning and one in end... do u agree ji?
Ji there are many reasons for a movie's BO pull.. content, reach to the wider audience, genre, timing of the release etc.... i found it funny that Mahen searching reasons for Vedalam's success.. guess what he seems to be disappointed that director siva didn't go to Tamannah for Vedalam ;)

PARAMASHIVAN
16th November 2015, 04:48 PM
The villains were made to look like comedians ..

mappi
16th November 2015, 05:29 PM
Vedalam [2015 : Tamil : Drama (Action) : 2h30m]
Written & Directed by Siva

Ganesh, the Big Brother of Thamizh, gets into trouble when he volunteers to help the law. A chauffeur de taxi by profession, Ganesh becomes an informant to the police which does not go well with cartels involved in various illegal trafficking. Ganesh enters into a Vampire Phase to become the succubus shadow of the villainous brothers when they launch an attack to detach the only attachment of Ganesh, his sister Thamizh.

Siva-Ajith combo extends and they mark their stay with the film Vedalam. A perfectly reciped film presented by the sucessful combo, efficiently furnishing the movie with contrasts to their earlier film Veeram. Veeram is based on a rural community, while Vedalam goes urban. And the Director rules over the various quarters of city life, right from lavishing yachts to bourgeoisie to low orders, esp. pulling out an absolute command over commonalty. Somewhere in the middle of ACT 2, Vedalam jumps-in from nowhere singing an awesome Chandrababu classic. The beauty of the scene is the lip sync done around a modern enviornment, while the original version of the song is playing. The previous scene indicates a caputred Vampire in a dark cell room. Contradicting to Vedalam, Ganesh is sentimental. Vedalam, on the other hand, has no time for emotions. He takes life with what all his strides can provide him with, and Ganesh finds life within his sister Tamizh. Siva uses a bundle of tricks to enforce the attitude of Vedalam, which is the major highlight of the film. The way the differences are registered through an introduction of Ganesh - the common man, proceeding with Vedalam - the wanted man, ensures the continuance.

The characters are finely edged and are mingled with each other. Interesting suituations shed light over the characters. Vedalam simply does not care to care atall. He is put in a suituation where he expriences for the fist time something alien inside him - feelings. When he encounters Thamizh's Family, he takes advantage of their suituation, but the family uses him without his consent as their saviour. Such a turn in suituation sends worms inside Vedalam's head. These qualities of the character is well designed and creates an impact when Vedalam just scratches his head. Vedalam finally accepts the incompatibity, realising that Thamizh family are not disease but a cure called Love, and this affectional virus kills the Vedalam allowing the Godly Ganesh to enter into the world.

Another sensitive element is the name of the Character - Ganesh. Ofcoarse it easy to relate Ganesh to Big Brother, but what is hidden inside in the physical form of Ganesh - A human body with a Vedalam 'Thala' (read Brawny & Brainy). To add to all other fabulous indications in the film, the best part is the attitude of Ganesh and Vedalam, and when the variations merges, it produces a spark that alights the screen.

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4672&d=1447673312
A still from the Film Vedalam, Ganesh - The Man within the Beast

Morover, Siva churns contrasting characters and allow them to roll side by side. Taking the sibling front , one faction has quarelling Swetha (Sruthi) and Arjun (Ashwin) while Tamizh (Lakshmi Menon) and Ganesh are nick-names to fondness and affection. The blocs form an allaience just like opposite poles reaction. Similar lines are drawn between the personalities of the parents/elders. And the crème de la crème - Ganesh & Vedalam - they both are who they are not. This split characteration has been a forte of Siva as his previous movies deal with similar categories - in Veram, Vinayagam is a Soft-Hard person, and same can be noted in Siruthai between Rocket Raja and Rathnavel.

In his earlier films, notably, Siruthai and Veeram, Siva had brought out situational humour - Racket Raja and Kaatu Poochi in the former, the Vinayagam Brothers with thier advocate Bail Peruma in the latter. In Vedalam, the laughter bomb is thrown by two distinct players, Swetha (Miss Hassan going comical for the first time in her carrier) & Laxmidas (Soori). Laxmidas, who is a hybrid of malapropism, is the boss of Ganesh. He does not get into suitutaions, but the suituations get him. Code Named Vengence, he teams up with Swetha, who seems to have the same nemesis - Ganesh. The Writer sets up such a platform to give a variety of comedy that occur at every needed part of the film, well assisted by other artist - Mayilswamy, Bala Saravanan & Swaminathan. Special mention to Rajendran as "Kolkata" Kaali, who is indeed a Beautiful Man. Also, you have characters with positive names like 'Papa' and 'Kuzhandai'.

The screenplay is taut. While addressing screenplay, the motive of the film should be accounted for. Vedalam is not about Cartel Brothers versus Vedalam. The film respects its concept of relationship and the love that blossoms out of it. The Cartel Brothers are just indicators that are used to mount the movie along the entertainment graph. Even so, Siva registers the search & destroy wonderfully during the 'Mike Sequence', where the hunter is the one who is being hunted. The events should be matched with the challenge Vedalam does on the yacht. The fluctuation between action and drama makes Vedalam succinct.

When several emotions are clearly mounted by the artists in various suituations that cannot be missed as its quite obvious that when they cry they have tears raining out of their eyes, its the action blocks which amplifies Vedalam. Silva (stunt coordinator) is absolutely brilliant in thematically churning the action sequences. The Panthom takes its energy from the dark, the Vampire runs over the wall above its kill, the Devil jumps on its prey and finally Vedalam kills by sucking the bullet from the henchman who were killed by its own hands a moment ago. During the gun blazing, Vetri (cinematograper) & his team go for an arc shot, and while Vedalam is running around the corridor, Vetri uses tilt-shift lenses which enhances the capture, that crisply comes out from the Ruben's (editor) cutting table. The sense of filming amoung the directorial team is excellent.

Moreover, (for those interested), during the same 'Mike Sequence', when Vedalam enters the terrace cabin, he hunts down the henchman with thier own weapons. This particular portion must have been shot with a high-speed digital video camera capturing a sequential series of images at very high frame rates. This chunk stands alone.

'Theri Theme' is a unique composition that gets visibly noticed. Its modern and makes a great impact along with the visuals. The aggressivity in the sound construction is carried forward to the images. The theme enters only about 4 times in the 150 minutes runtime of Vedalam and it turns harrowing to poignant before reaching the 'Dance of Death' climax (ref. Procession of the Goddess Kali, October 1841 original painting of L.H. de Rudder). During its first occurance, the Theri Theme blazes the screen giving a new dimension to the unfolding action series. While watching this particular block, it looks more like a 'Dance of Vedalam' and sports a strikingly different regard, esp. when Vedalam walks across the cruiser. Such an impression is due to the fact that the sequence was developed for the "Theri Theme". 'The Super Scene on the Superyatch' sees Vedalam shifting himself by awakening his muscles, and the next occurence of the Theme is while Vedalam charges in with a bleeding mouth that resembles a Vampire Tooth, later it punctuates the casual Vedalam walking roaring with his fingers and finally when Vedalam is lying on the floor all beaten up. Whatever be the suituation, the Theri Theme puts back the mood in, the main role of any Theme Music. Talking about role, the responsibility activates the luminaire on the artist who enacts the character Vedhalam, Ajith Kumar.

Watch Vedalam to gift yourself with an excellent movie watching experience.

Vedalam - Measured Madness

Mahen
16th November 2015, 05:40 PM
When did i say vedalam was a success? It did usual business like any other biggie.. It did better than tv avlo thaan.. It didnt break any records etc here..You might find my reason funny but it actually makes difference.. Not in a big way though...the less u appear, audiences yearn for more..rajni /shankar films a good example..the buzz/hype is much bigger..
Dont drag kopu here:mad:

leosimha
16th November 2015, 05:41 PM
Mahen, I wish Tamannah Bhatia was there in this movie. She would have done a better act than Shruthi Hassan.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mr.GreyShirt
16th November 2015, 05:48 PM
When he encounters Thamizh's Family, he takes advantage of their suituation, but the family uses him without his consent as their saviour. Such a turn in suituation sends worms inside Vedalam's head.

You know, I found this really funny in the movie. If this was any villain other than Ajith they would have all been dead :lol: Thamiz was really unlucky that the Cartel brothers weren't Ajiths either. Then they would have reformed and become good just by meeting her :P

mappi
16th November 2015, 06:20 PM
Mr.GreyShirt,

Firstly, the Cartel did not give much time for any connection to happen. It all happens under a thunder inbetween the gap of lightenings. Moreover, the Vedalam character is sketched to redisover himself admist Tamizh and family, it a positive manner. Positivity is the what the movie is all about.

Secondly the movie structure itself. It starts with a malevolent man who feeds on the sentiments of the family member, challenging that goodness has no harm over him and it needs a demon much bigger than him to take him down. Thus, the story follows Vedalam and at the end relates to the challenge made by the man. I would like to precise again here that a story can have different treatment, Siva stuck to what he had visioned.

Thridly, the difference between Vedalam and the Cartel => last dialogue before pulling the trigger.

Siv.S
16th November 2015, 06:24 PM
When did i say vedalam was a success? It did usual business like any other biggie.. It did better than tv avlo thaan..It didnt break any records etc here..You might find my reason funny but it actually makes difference.. Not in a big way though...the less u appear, audiences yearn for more..rajni /shankar films a good example..the buzz/hype is much bigger..
Dont drag kopu here:mad:

The reported numbers (only 40 screens) in bollywoodhungama/rentrak are quite big, that too with the competition... anyhow let's wait for the complete report....

Mr.GreyShirt
16th November 2015, 07:26 PM
Mr.GreyShirt,

Firstly, the Cartel did not give much time for any connection to happen. It all happens under a thunder inbetween the gap of lightenings. Moreover, the Vedalam character is sketched to redisover himself admist Tamizh and family, it a positive manner. Positivity is the what the movie is all about.

Secondly the movie structure itself. It starts with a malevolent man who feeds on the sentiments of the family member, challenging that goodness has no harm over him and it needs a demon much bigger than him to take him down. Thus, the story follows Vedalam and at the end relates to the challenge made by the man. I would like to precise again here that a story can have different treatment, Siva stuck to what he had visioned.

Thridly, the difference between Vedalam and the Cartel => last dialogue before pulling the trigger.

Yea, we as the audience know that but Thamiz in the movie doesn't know what kind of character Vedhalam was. I just find the way it was executed was funny. I actually liked the flashback Vedhalam portions. Just wished it was better executed.

shwas
16th November 2015, 08:10 PM
Vedalam was good... ganesh as vedalam gone little over the top but thats siva stype..

Siv.S
16th November 2015, 08:13 PM
nice write up mappi, as usual.. :2thumbsup:

[B]
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4672&d=1447673312
A still from the Film Vedalam, Ganesh - The Man within the Beast

[B]Special mention to Rajendran as "Kolkata" Kaali, who is indeed a Beautiful Man. Also, you have characters with positive names like 'Papa' and 'Kuzhandai'.

:clap: :clap:

another scene i liked was Ajith's request to Ashwin/Men in the temple... those complete dialogues, the sounds of the flying birds and the temple bell sound once Thala finishes his dialogues, those little girls playing happily in the back ground.. neatly done.

mappi
16th November 2015, 08:14 PM
Ajith Kumar - The Man, the Machine & the Bullet.

The Angry Man

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4673&d=1447684410

The 'Angry Man' Character has always been a part of our cinema culture. Many have tried showing anger on screen, but only an handful were appealing. Then came Amarkalam admist the reigning trend Romance. Ajith as Vasu unleashed his disagreement. If Valli Shiva is a silent killer, Vasu wispered his rage. Ajith became a title-holder with Amarkalam and went to bring this note worthy emotion into most of the characters he played, and while doing so, he showed variety. In Mughavari, the frustration stirred with hopelessness and served cold with deceit is registered by Ajith playing the role of an ambitious youngster who cries in the rain under the dijection thunder. The emotion is an extereme height of anger itself. Ajith quickly redefined the cult character 'The Angry Man' and went ahead to suit up in such roles tailor made for him.

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4674&d=1447684430

Criticism

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4677&d=1447684552

Criticism can be handled in several ways, and the wise would convert it to their benefit by energizing themselves using the criticism as a fuel for vitality. Ajith's carrier was/is loaded with criticisms from every front. But every single complain triggered an urge to acheive inside artist Ajith. He gently kept them at heart but put his mind at work, the result started to become visible in his films. He completely shed down his physique in Paramashivan, and bounced back as a dancer in Varalaru. It took several films for Ajith to correct his vocal and its modulation. The outcome for non-stop trying, finally paved way - Ajith unearthed a rusty voice in Arambham. Ajith quickly turned to become an editors choice, each movement on screen in Billa marked Ajith as an artist who is aware of the camera placement, including the lens, focus and the light source. His concentraion pronounced his efforts he had put and show cased his analytical approach. His prowess is seen in his amazing strides which looks as though calculated in advance. Ajith did not stop, but went on into a correction mode, assuring huge ameliorations in lips syncs, expressions and ending his recent film Vedalam by excersing even his face muscles and teeth to perform.

The Communication

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4675&d=1447684441

'Vathiyar' & 'Thalaivar' are considered to communicate with their fans through films. A similar 'break-up' suitation put Ajith to use films as the only medium to communicate with his fans. He constructed a sort of transmission through his film coding messages for his fans - "Yenna Readya". Just as his seniors, Ajith started to polish his relationaship with his faithful fans by erradicating the usage of first person singular, and started to enlarge the thrid person pluriel that helped in establishing a huge connect. In Vedalam, Ajith asks 'Therika Vidalama', and his fans acknowledged.

The Style

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4676&d=1447684449

Ajith in Action is always a beauty to watch. Just like 'Vara Vara Ellame Style", Ajith's every mannerism started to stand out. During the 'Super Fight on the Superyatch' in Vedalam, he fixes his eyes on his single target, but takes his time to reach the victim, all the while terrorising his kill by walking around breaking anything moving and immovable. A perfect menance, done with Style. Billa marked it for him and from then he started adding tiny bits in each movie that followed, moveover the film makers made it a point via intro scenes to encourage his fans where the 'Thala' factor gets highlighted. Even in Vedalam, during title card, the 'Thala' gets focused in/out. His coolers and other accesories including the vehicles he uses started to be pronounced firmly. Style serves Ajith with purpose.

Ganesh, the Vedalam

http://www.stage3.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Ajith-Vedhalam-Movie-Stills-10.jpg

Ganesh weeps. He could not take the beatings anymore.
Ganesh is in trouble. He begs before the abducters to release him.
Ganesh is floored, like a torn rag. He is holding a gun, but stammers to aim.

Vedalam grins loadly. He beats up anything thats in front of him, also the ones at the back of him.
Vedalam lifts his heads and mocks showing his teeth. The language spoken by his fingers are heard by the guns that drop down willingly.
Vedalam laughs at his nemessis signaling the end. One bullet, One Shot. Finish.

Now rearrange the above sentenses. Ganesh & Vedalam are two different characters, like the flower and the rabbit inside a magician's hat. Ajith pulls off the one needed for the tirck, and when the object is out, the trick takes the respective act. He fluently enables the variation and most of them are performed for a thick close up shot. Such up and rising expressions under a brief moment puts the actor Ajith before the star Ajith.

If Theri Theme is responsible to put a smile, its Ajith who ensures that it stays there. As Vedalam, Ajith registers a variety of emotions and this time with a lot of humour added to it. He gives various looks that are strikingly different, even when he has his sunglasses on, just through the body and it's language. While seeking remboursement for his broken bike, he lands up smashing the side kicks. He throws the cross-bar with one hand, and lifts the other to wear his sun galsses. On his way he looks at a wounded henchman lying in the path. Similarly during the luncheon or discussion with Papa or asking for his gun, Ajith shows variety of meanings through his looks alone. And as Vedalam Ajith is just HUGE, as in magnifying presence. As Ganesh he brings out the needed innocence. Ganesh's lecture about 'Freedom for Women' is the need of the hour.

Ganesh is the Man, the one to be followed. Vedalam is the Machine, an automated killing device during the beloved ones are in trouble. Together they are the piercing Bullet. Right Gun, Good Aim but its the Bullet that gives the finishing touch.

http://www.stage3.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Ajith-Vedhalam-Movie-Stills-4.jpg

Ajith Kumar - The Ultimate

Arragesh
16th November 2015, 08:20 PM
You know, I found this really funny in the movie. If this was any villain other than Ajith they would have all been dead :lol: Thamiz was really unlucky that the Cartel brothers weren't Ajiths either. Then they would have reformed and become good just by meeting her :P

If I may take the liberty in explaining you the perspective that i came to while watching this Film.
There are lots of signals has been sent out (though briefly) that though Vedalam is bad ass and he will do anything for Money but there are references like he giving money to the one who spent for his recovery and aftermath scene following a bit hassle between Vedalam and Thamizh & co family denotes that there is something good still living in him.

But on the other hand Villain brothers brought up and their buisness wouldn't let them think others esp girls anything other than meat. Hence they reforming and become good just by meeting thamizh family is not gonna happen. Hope that explains.

yellow
16th November 2015, 08:31 PM
Also I have noticed in the movie ----During Fight scene -Ajith Wears Black shirt (with black banyan) OR Red shirt (with red banyan) ..that is also unique touch of director.:smokesmirk:

Also during Ajith intimation to the Police ---that drug seller walks on the street and ajith follows him -Background score is awesome without dialogue...:smokesmirk:

yellow
16th November 2015, 08:33 PM
Kabir Sing acting and with dialogue with nice lip sync is super in the movie :-D
The camera angle with kabir singh during before interval fight is awesome --- Vertri :-D

yellow
16th November 2015, 08:35 PM
Also in church When villain taking ajith to the ship ...that church scenes with Gods statues with beautiful background score is outstanding :-D
Anirudh rocks :)

yellow
16th November 2015, 08:38 PM
My favourite dialogues -Ajith to appukutti-> Kolantha thittuum podhu evalu softa irukku paren ... :-D
Ajith to Mansoor - Adikalam (with nice modulation) :-D
Ajith to Lashmi menon -> Patcha durogam :-D

ALWAR_AJITH
16th November 2015, 08:40 PM
Its get theri response in malaysia ..i watched it with decent crowd eventhough today all deepavali hype is over and start working as usual.. bring my wife n kid to the movie again... they liked the movie very much.. eventhough the movie pirate dvd available in shops..dont believe fake reports frm third grade pages..there are many single screen cinema in malaysia and some cinemas will not disclosed real bo figures.. i wonder without shankar or maniratnam ajith still can create wow factor in malaysia..if he act in thier direction sure will be vere level..its proven clearly after thalaivar only thala rules malaysian bo.

ALWAR_AJITH
16th November 2015, 08:46 PM
GSC top 10 movies!

thala
16th November 2015, 08:49 PM
does anyone knows the telugu market to predict vedalam's dubbed Version aveshams collections? The film may well suited to Telugu audience as well I guess.

Prabo
17th November 2015, 11:27 AM
Watched the movie @ S2 yesterday. Considering the heavy rain, flood & other big release, the response was amazing and it was a house full show. I could see lot of families and youngsters watching nth time (guessing by anticipation before the 'punch' scenes begin) the theater atmosphere was energetic and positive.
Coming to the movie, I liked it very much. I wouldn't actually mind if Ajith collaborates again with Siva. I think he understands Ajith's mass and blending the family sentiment in right proportion. Ajith too seems to be comfortable and confident under his direction.

ALWAR_AJITH
17th November 2015, 01:13 PM
Theri in malaysian BO...

rachel
17th November 2015, 03:00 PM
http://www.sify.com/movies/vedhalam-biggest-hit-for-ajith-till-date-news-tamil-plrkG7ddfdagh.html

from ajith hater sify

rachel
17th November 2015, 03:01 PM
http://www.dnaindia.com/entertainment/report-ajith-s-vedalam-closes-in-on-rajinikanth-s-endhiran-first-week-collection-record-2146047

rachel
17th November 2015, 03:02 PM
http://cinema.dinamalar.com/tamil-news/39895/cinema/Kollywood/Vedalam-still-running-box-office.htm

PARAMASHIVAN
17th November 2015, 03:48 PM
Ajith Has the potential to be even a "bigger" star, but he as to choose his directors carefully ....

ALWAR_AJITH
17th November 2015, 05:39 PM
Ajith Has the potential to be even a "bigger" star, but he as to choose his directors carefully ....

Exactly...

Munsamy
17th November 2015, 06:56 PM

Looks like Rajini fans accept the enormous growth and potential of Ajith and they are not bitter about it.
Rajini has seen it all and done it all before.
Can even do it again with Kabali.

PARAMASHIVAN
17th November 2015, 07:21 PM
Looks like Rajini fans accept the enormous growth and potential of Ajith and they are not bitter about it.
I am indeed a Rajni fan, not a fanatic , nothing wrong in appreciating other entertainers :)

PARAMASHIVAN
17th November 2015, 07:24 PM

Of course!

thamiz
17th November 2015, 07:43 PM

See, we have to accept the facts. Especially if it is obvious, denying and justifying will look foolish. There had been times Bhagyaraj and TR beat Rajini at BO collections too when their movies competed!

thamiz
17th November 2015, 07:47 PM
These days Rajini avoids competing with any big star movies, Kamal, Ajith , Vijay or Vikram and big directors like Shankar or Manirathnam. They talk and negotiate and release in a different date. One can call that as "cowardice". I would call that as a wise decision! Because today, the first week collection is very very important because of wide release!

Siv.S
17th November 2015, 11:21 PM
Vedalam cross 10K entries in France !

2nd week show timings

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUBIoPnW4AASz4t.jpg

Freedom
18th November 2015, 12:04 AM
These days Rajini avoids competing with any big star movies, Kamal, Ajith , Vijay or Vikram and big directors like Shankar or Manirathnam. They talk and negotiate and release in a different date. One can call that as "cowardice". I would call that as a wise decision! Because today, the first week collection is very very important because of wide release!

It is wise to go for a solo release and get maximum collections within a week. After that Piracy takes over anyway.

In a way Ajith, Vijay and Kamal made big mistake by clashing with each other for Pongal 2014 and Diwali 2015. It makes no sense that they would allow their collections to get eaten up by an equally healthy rival.

bimmer
18th November 2015, 12:09 AM
It is wise to go for a solo release and get maximum collections within a week. After that Piracy takes over anyway.

In a way Ajith, Vijay and Kamal made big mistake by clashing with each other for Pongal 2014 and Diwali 2015. It makes no sense that they would allow their collections to get eaten up by an equally healthy rival.

It really depends on where the ROI is...Solo Non festive so far has proven less ROI than a Festive Combo release. If you can get a Solo Festive release that would be a dream for any producers

thamiz
18th November 2015, 12:23 AM
It really depends on where the ROI is...Solo Non festive so far has proven less ROI than a Festive Combo release. If you can get a Solo Festive release that would be a dream for any producers

When you talk about overseas, USA, UK, I think people want to watch one movie rather than two for sure. Festive time or not is irrelevant. Festival day on a monday/tuesday is worse than an weekend day of any day, imo, again I am talking about overseas!

Parthyy
18th November 2015, 12:27 AM
Before going to Vedalam,I always wondered why Attagasam Perfect Hero worship mindless masala didnt work that time when such films were the flavour of the season.
Outside Fan circle Most arrogant/Egoistic actor ever Tamil cinema has ever seen was the Outlook Public had on Ajit.So Heroism fuelled masala didn't get its due when Films like Tirupachi..got massive success.
With the current trend mass masala almost beaten to dearth,still Vedalam works bang on with the massess inspite of mokkai comedy...there lies the real victory of star power.Reviews were scathing to the core
Getting a mass masala film flavour perfect altogether like Sammy Dhool Ghilli is one thing and riding film solely on his own aura inspite of sumaar package is real victory.
Overlall Attagasam is still better film than Vedalam but attagassam didn't get its due when mindless masalas were the flavour of the season and Vedalam becoming unanimous festival blockbustor in current trend is something indicative of his Phenomenol stardom.

Parthyy
18th November 2015, 12:33 AM

This is just a myth.....I always maintained Festive release in competing is better then solo.
Actualy impact is seen only when both films caters to same set of audience and have a great hype.

Parthyy
18th November 2015, 12:36 AM
Top5 Malaysia Opening Weekend Gross(Days) In MYR
Vedalam 5. 2M(6)
Kaththi 4. 1M (5)
Thuppakki 4M (6)
Endhiran 3. 4M (3)
Lingaa 3. 3M(3)

Projection based on available data from rentrak have to wait for actuals

thamiz
18th November 2015, 12:37 AM
This is just a myth.....I always maintained Festive release in competing is better then solo.
Actualy impact is seen only when both films caters to same set of audience and have a great hype.

See, even in C center the price of a ticket of "big stars" are 400 rupees or so. It is worse in "C' centers when you compare that with A centers. Not many family audience can afford to see two movies. They will watch one and for the other one they will get a "thiruttu vcd"! :(

Freedom
18th November 2015, 12:44 AM
When you talk about overseas, USA, UK, I think people want to watch one movie rather than two for sure. Festive time or not is irrelevant. Festival day on a monday/tuesday is worse than an weekend day of any day, imo, again I am talking about overseas!

I agree actually. you can watch only one movie at a given time. It's either TV or Vedalam for this diwali. part of the reason why TV has done good business in US is due to the fact that old generation from tamilnadu (35+ age) is mostly found here in US have idolized or grown up watching rajini and Kamal movies. The reason why Vedalam is super hot in TN is due to the fact the next gen had taken over.

Vedalam reminded me of watching Baasha during my 10th std. I'm sure gen next are lapping it up like we did for Baasha. As simple as that!!

Avadi to America
18th November 2015, 03:07 AM

Rajini movie film business are very high and needs to be released solo in order to recoup the money... distributors and theater owners know it better than us.

bimmer
18th November 2015, 03:11 AM
Top5 Malaysia Opening Weekend Gross(Days) In MYR
Vedalam 5. 2M(6)
Kaththi 4. 1M (5)
Thuppakki 4M (6)
Endhiran 3. 4M (3)
Lingaa 3. 3M(3)

Projection based on available data from rentrak have to wait for actuals

These numbers look Awesome!!! When will the actuals release? Why is there a 1.1 Mil difference B/W Kaththi and Vedalam? Just curious!!!

Freedom
18th November 2015, 04:23 AM
Here is the awesome Theri Theme music link:

That initial buildup when the music starts was amazing to say the least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdS69lNIBlI

thamiz
18th November 2015, 06:49 AM
TamilBoxOffice1.com ‏@TamilBoxOffice1 10m10 minutes ago

Top 5 BO All-Time in Malaysia
#Endhiran 9,547,411MYR
#Sivaji 8,389,146
#I 7,404,000
#Vedalam 6,571,533 (6 Days)
#Kaththi 6,430,110

maniram_1234
18th November 2015, 10:19 AM
These numbers look Awesome!!! When will the actuals release? Why is there a 1.1 Mil difference B/W Kaththi and Vedalam? Just curious!!!

kaththi 5 days
vedalam 6 days
simple

Freedom
18th November 2015, 10:50 AM
Thala Breaking box office records like a boss with average director, not so great music, masala story line and competing with 2nd biggest tamil matinee idol.

That's how you do it!

maniram_1234
18th November 2015, 11:36 AM
ajith+arm or shankar will do wonders

Munsamy
18th November 2015, 11:49 AM
2nd biggest tamil matinee idol!

That was in the past. Now he is in tough competition with Surya for the fourth spot when it comes to BO.

Siv.S
18th November 2015, 12:23 PM
kaththi 5 days
vedalam 6 days
simple

If you didn't realized it yet Vedalam crossed Kaththi's overall gross in that 6 days.

Parthyy
18th November 2015, 12:38 PM
He's Mettupalayam theatre owner....seems Vedalam holding strong in weekdays too😎

maniram_1234
18th November 2015, 12:49 PM
Ajith Kumar's films have been performing consistently well in the overseas space over the past couple of years. Films such as Yennai Arindhaal and Arrambam were particularly big grossers abroad. Now, Vedalam has apparently managed a big 6-day opening weekend overseas gross of around 25 crores. As reported earlier, the film has already done wonders in Tamil Nadu with a first week gross of around 50 crores.

Adding on to the gross in Kerala, Karnataka and the rest of India, Vedalam has a great chance to cross the coveted 100 crores worldwide gross mark in the coming days. Only a few Tamil films have managed to enter this elite century club.

In Malaysia, Vedalam has reportedly grossed 9.89 crores (6,571,533 Malaysian Ringgits) after its first 6 days, already placing it at all-time No.4 among Tamil films in Malaysia after Enthiran, Sivaji and I. This is also the best ever opening weekend gross by a Tamil film in Malaysia.

Great going indeed.

Siv.S
18th November 2015, 01:14 PM
Whoa! Vedalam All Time Best opening in Malaysia

1. Vedalam - 6,571,533 MYR
2. Kaththi - 4,129,270 MYR
3. Thuppakki - 4,009,001 MYR
4. Enthiran - 3,377,796 MYR
5. Lingaa - 3,317,410 MYR

With that best opening Vedalam straight away at no. 4 all time top grossers in Malaysia

1. Enthiran - 9,547,411 MYR
2. Sivaji - 8,389,146 MYR
3. I - 7,404,000 MYR
4. Vedalam - 6,571,533 MYR
5. Kaththi - 6,430,110 MYR

Huge!!

Malaysia :bow:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSEVHIVVEAEhUoA.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSEVI1XUEAA160j.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTiAXvhU8AAvcdJ.jpg

Siv.S
18th November 2015, 01:24 PM
When did i say vedalam was a success? It did usual business like any other biggie.. It did better than tv avlo thaan.. It didnt break any records etc here..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUEuzwVUAAAdX5X.jpg

Mahen
18th November 2015, 03:51 PM
:lol: the figure doesn't make sense..can someone give an official source?

google and found this

According to Rentrak, Vedalam did a business of Rs 2.97 cr in Malaysia alone from the data collected from 40 screens. It was released in 105 screens in Malaysia where it landed at no.3 position on box office charts for the weekend. In UAE also, the film held strong at no.3 on charts behind only James Bond’s ‘Spectre’ and Bollywood release “Prem Ratan Dhan Payo“. In UK, the film registered best opening for Thala Ajith Kumar with racking in £135,469 (Rs1.35 cr) for the weekend against Thoongavanam’s £38,967 (Rs 40 lacs).
That abt MYR2mil which is believable..Please exercise professional skepticism in anything you read..analyze the country's demographics, look at historical data and apply a 10%-20% variance..
6mil is ridiculous..

selvamohankumar
18th November 2015, 04:02 PM
Are we there yet- 100 crores? Sorry if i missed something, just got access to internet ..

Siv.S
18th November 2015, 04:26 PM

google and found this

That abt MYR2mil which is believable..Please exercise professional skepticism in anything you read..analyze the country's demographics, look at historical data and apply a 10%-20% variance..
6mil is ridiculous..

2M MYR is from 40 screens...you have to argue that with rentrak.. the numbers are from rentrak.

Adox
18th November 2015, 06:42 PM
Excuse if repost ..

VEDALAM ON ITS WAY TO THE ELITE 100 CRORES CLUB ?

http://behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-cinema-news-15/images/vedalam-all-set-to-cross-100-crores-worldwide-gross-soon-photos-pictures-stills.jpg

Ajith Kumar's films have been performing consistently well in the overseas space over the past couple of years. Films such as Yennai Arindhaal and Arrambam were particularly big grossers abroad. Now, Vedalam has apparently managed a big 6-day opening weekend overseas gross of around 25 crores. As reported earlier, the film has already done wonders in Tamil Nadu with a first week gross of around 50 crores.

Adding on to the gross in Kerala, Karnataka and the rest of India, Vedalam has a great chance to cross the coveted 100 crores worldwide gross mark in the coming days. Only a few Tamil films have managed to enter this elite century club.

In Malaysia, Vedalam has reportedly grossed 9.89 crores (6,571,533 Malaysian Ringgits) after its first 6 days, already placing it at all-time No.4 among Tamil films in Malaysia after Enthiran, Sivaji and I. This is also the best ever opening weekend gross by a Tamil film in Malaysia.

Great going indeed.

--BW

Siv.S
18th November 2015, 06:46 PM
AndhraBoxOffice @AndhraBoxOffice

#Vedalam is simply Sensational in the Massy Malaysia. Takes a $1.497Mn+ 6 Day Weekend!. Overtakes all Non-Shankar LIFETIME's! #Tamil #Thala

Simply Outstanding what #Vedalam Achieved in TN & Malaysia so far, that too without Star director, All credit to Ajith Kumar. #Mass #Thala

selvakumar
18th November 2015, 06:55 PM

google and found this

6mil is ridiculous..

என்ன குமாரு பயந்துட்டியா.. நீயுட்றல் கொண்டைய வெட்டிருவாங்கன்னு? Siva is consistently providing sources also. Same sources that we used to deny and also argued on Malaysia BO is getting reported. May be, you could have spent a few mins that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bimmer
18th November 2015, 07:10 PM

Great going indeed.

Great Mani ram!!!

Good to see these nice posts from you!!!

Siv.S
18th November 2015, 07:35 PM
Vedalam grosses 5+ Cr in Kerala, 2Cr share.

Cine Shore @CineShore

#Vedalam will run into profits from today in Kerala thus becoming a Hit here too. Congrats to the team.

Parthyy
18th November 2015, 07:37 PM
http://www.firstpost.com/bollywood/after-the-success-of-vedalam-ajith-kumar-could-just-be-the-next-rajinikanth-2511888.html?utm_source=fp_footer

After the success of 'Vedalam', Ajith Kumar could just be the next Rajinikanth
by Sreedhar Pillai Nov 18, 2015 18:26 IST

The big Diwali winner at the Kollywood box-office is Ajith Kumar’s action masala entertainer Vedalam directed by Siva. The film has grossed approximately Rs 50 crore in its first week from Tamil Nadu alone, and is also doing well in the international market.

Tamil film trade has anointed Ajith Kumar, known as the “king of opening”, as the next Rajinikanth due to his phenomenal reach. Ajith, or Thala as he is popular known, has been in the Tamil film industry for nearly two decades. Vedalam is his 56th film and is also his biggest hit. Apart from Ajith, trade analysts have also touted his rival Vijay as the next big superstar. Both actors specialise in commercial entertainers, which still has a huge reach across Tamil Nadu, especially in smaller cities and villages.

The Ajith –Vijay feud to get the so-called 'Kollywood throne' has been going on for the last few years. It is quite similar to the battle going on between the Khans (Aamir v/s Salman v/s SRK) for supremacy in Bollywood. The two actors started their careers around the same time in the mid 90s, and are usually very formal and friendly when they meet (in the rare sightings over the last few years). But an impending battle is being furiously discussed on social media among Ajith and Vijay fans. At the time of any of their releases, you can see hoards of tweets and massive trolling.

Ajith started as a romantic hero due to his good looks and charming ways. Soon he graduated to action hero roles. His films are larger than life action movies where the character he plays has a sinister side, for example Mankatha, Aarambam and his most recent Vedalam .

Ajith has sported a salt and pepper look (almost a spitting image of George Clooney) in many of his recent films. The characters he plays on screen always seem to have the right attitude and he always says the perfect punch lines. Possibly the actor’s huge fan base among the youth has helped him garner terrific openings for his films.

The basic premise of Vedalam is Ajith’s love and affection for his sister, who is played by Lakshmi Menon. Vedalam became a super hit thanks to the family audiences, and especially his female fans. In Tamil Nadu, the core strength of a Tamil superstar has always been his female fans. Meanwhile, Rajinikanth’s biggest strength has always been his acceptance among family audiences.

After the phenomenal success of Vedalam, Ajith went in for a long overdue knee surgery. The actor has been struggling with injuries sustained from action scenes he had been doing over the years. Ajith will now take a six-month break from films and take rest at home before starting his next film and therefore may not have any releases in 2016. At the same time Vijay’s next release is slated for summer of 2016. Meanwhile the see-saw battle for the Kollywood throne between Ajith and Vijay fans would be fought more on social media.

PARAMASHIVAN
18th November 2015, 08:49 PM
http://www.cineulagam.com/tamil/news-tamil/celebrities/121242/

Siv.S
18th November 2015, 10:46 PM
https://youtu.be/O_MJYUNdVTU

Freedom
18th November 2015, 11:09 PM
Are we there yet- 100 crores? Sorry if i missed something, just got access to internet ..

Juts a number bro. Does it even matter? I would rather take a profitable venture like VIP than so called biggies which cross 100Cr with loss. Some people are still hung up on that number.

It was something northies created to hype useless movies. North la Asin nadicha moonu padam back to back 100Cyaam, pera ketta ennanu yarukume therla.

That is the reality with 100C.

if it achieves, good, if not OK :)

selvamohankumar
19th November 2015, 08:31 AM
Juts a number bro. Does it even matter? I would rather take a profitable venture like VIP than so called biggies which cross 100Cr with loss. Some people are still hung up on that number.

It was something northies created to hype useless movies. North la Asin nadicha moonu padam back to back 100Cyaam, pera ketta ennanu yarukume therla.

That is the reality with 100C.

if it achieves, good, if not OK :)

Yet to watch movie.. Will catch this week a night show.. Vazhthukal if ajith can make the achievement though.

Mahen
19th November 2015, 11:07 AM
என்ன குமாரு பயந்துட்டியா.. நீயுட்றல் கொண்டைய வெட்டிருவாங்கன்னு? Siva is consistently providing sources also. Same sources that we used to deny and also argued on Malaysia BO is getting reported. May be, you could have spent a few mins that time.

6mil is way off bro and that too with another biggie..thats the reason I came in..
And I was asking source from Rentrak and I could not find..All I could find is everyone quoting Rentrak..

Look at this link..
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/malaysia/?yr=2015&wk=40&p=.htm

The Martian collected abt RM3.2mil first week..And if you tell me it is possible for Vedalam to collect RM6mil with tamil speaking population of 5%..i have nothing to say..
Sai Sai :wave:

Arragesh
19th November 2015, 11:11 AM

I have been talking about these kind of posts.Your intention is clear in this post.

Please refrain posting with intention of hurting other's belief.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Nawaaz
19th November 2015, 12:01 PM
6mil is way off bro and that too with another biggie..thats the reason I came in..
And I was asking source from Rentrak and I could not find..All I could find is everyone quoting Rentrak..

Look at this link..

The Martian collected abt RM3.2mil first week..And if you tell me it is possible for Vedalam to collect RM6mil with tamil speaking population of 5%..i have nothing to say..
Mahen cool. They even say house full shows in Chennai and some parts of tamilnadu where even routine life being impossible because of rain last 1week. Even AM Ratnam says the same but for rameshlaus and kamalji

selvakumar
19th November 2015, 12:12 PM

Look at this link..

You didn't get my post obviously. Right? We doubted the same sources when our film was put down. We expressed our own concerns. You are only doubting the "same " sources celebrated by others. You could have spent few mins of your "neutral time" during those days.

:neutral: - hey! Nanum neutral thaaan :wave:

Mahen
19th November 2015, 03:16 PM
You didn't get my post obviously. Right? We doubted the same sources when our film was put down. We expressed our own concerns. You are only doubting the "same " sources celebrated by others. You could have spent few mins of your "neutral time" during those days.

:neutral: - hey! Nanum neutral thaaan :wave:

I understood what you meant..below was my response

maybe you guys were fighting over overall total collection or only collection from india..which I have no clue..

Mahen
19th November 2015, 03:20 PM
I have been talking about these kind of posts.Your intention is clear in this post.

Please refrain posting with intention of hurting other's belief.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
im making fun of him not his belief :) Sorry I don't find my post offensive.. Anyways mods are free to remove

ALWAR_AJITH
19th November 2015, 05:52 PM
mahen i don't know about the collection in malaysia.. but the movie well received here... stop crying at every thread that ajith do movie with half bake director ... are u saying goutham manon also half bake director? vedhalam is perfect for deepavali time.. movie is for entertain people... vedhalam is not thirupathi ... even my friends and my brother who vj and rajini fan like the movie... and there is some ajith fans not like class movie like YA .. there is different of oppinion ...

thamiz
19th November 2015, 06:02 PM

Look at this link..

The same logic should be applied other movies like kaththi or enthiran or lingaa, right? Why are we reluctant to believe only now? andhraboxoffice and tamilboxoffice have been quoted by "king' fans", I have never seen you talking about "logic" then" :)

Mahen
19th November 2015, 07:33 PM
I missed out probably or maybe the numbers didnt stick out like vedalam..you might wana bring jilla and veeram (2 biggies) into this for an apple to apple comparison..malaysia ONLY..we can dissect data from there and make a logical conclusion..

If vedalam had a solo release, 6 mil would have raised eyebrows..
With thongavanam.. 6mil is definitely eye ball dropping moment

Mahen
19th November 2015, 07:38 PM
mahen i don't know about the collection in malaysia.. but the movie well received here... stop crying at every thread that ajith do movie with half bake director ... are u saying goutham manon also half bake director? vedhalam is perfect for deepavali time.. movie is for entertain people... vedhalam is not thirupathi ... even my friends and my brother who vj and rajini fan like the movie... and there is some ajith fans not like class movie like YA .. there is different of oppinion ...
Thambhi( guessing ur much younger than me), i was referring to his upcoming movies..cheh i dont cry for this kind jujubi matter

ALWAR_AJITH
19th November 2015, 08:55 PM
Thambhi( guessing ur much younger than me), i was referring to his upcoming movies..cheh i dont cry for this kind jujubi matter

i also dont know ur age bro... but apdiye vachukinge.. anyhow with siva also he can create magic on screen if god grace one day he will act under shankar sure will know his maximum capabilities in BO.. BTW u said vedhalam released with thungavanam and its affects vedhalam collection but the truth is u can check the top 10 BO by cinemaonline .. a must trust website .. regarding movie i cannot disclosed here due to some reason...

Siv.S
19th November 2015, 11:11 PM
2nd weekend in UAE Vedalam still continuing in good no. of screens.. nearly 60 shows for next 2 days. :clap: :clap: tonight shows are already houseful!

http://s27.postimg.org/gx58g2djj/uae_vox.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/gx58g2djj/)

Siv.S
19th November 2015, 11:13 PM
Vedalam in Hongkong on Nov 28th.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CUMMx_VU8AAwm_X.jpg

Freedom
20th November 2015, 12:05 AM
Mahen & others free vidunga. If you liked the movie and the collection enjoy. Otherwise, feel free to move on.

Vedalam collection is not the end of the world for us. We have seen worse and have a reason to celebrate!

Siv.S
20th November 2015, 12:24 AM
Mahen cool. They even say house full shows in Chennai and some parts of tamilnadu where even routine life being impossible because of rain last 1week. Even AM Ratnam says the same but for rameshlaus and kamalji

:lol: you and your sweeping comments, but enna Vaai da :bow: "Sonamutha pocha" was the comment a night before Arrambam release.... the movie went on to become one of the highest grosser... this time happy diwali folks-aam :lol: it is indeed a Happiest diwali for thala fans.. :D and what is this AMR sonnaru amr sonnaru in every thread ? you can defend only by bringing blog posts/comment section posts from your fellow pans ?? :(

They even say house full shows in Chennai and some parts of tamilnadu

Yes they, the theatre owners are saying it...

MuRuGaRaMu Theatre ‏@murugaramu_kkl Nov 17
Tuesday nite show #houseful #vedalaminkaraikal

https://twitter.com/murugaramu_kkl/status/666658432225665024

@VettriTheatres Nov 16
@ThalaAjith_FC currently no water logging in chrompet, but yes #Vedalam 2.50pm gone full...
https://twitter.com/VettriTheatres/status/666201464130265088

MuRuGaRaMu Theatre ‏@murugaramu_kkl 6h6 hours ago
10th day ,evening show with 80% full #Vedalam
https://twitter.com/murugaramu_kkl/status/667324422945042432

@VettriTheatres Nov 17
@DaniealM enna vadai, atha sollunga saar ... 30 housefull shows true thane :lol2: ..
https://twitter.com/VettriTheatres/status/666627718151180288

@VettriTheatres Nov 18
bro gold n balcony full, silver available ...https://twitter.com/VettriTheatres/status/666907518216437761

VJ Abishek ‏@_veeJ 12h12 hours ago
Went to Namakkal for a marriage. #Vedalam evening show almost full. #Ajith has done it again.
https://twitter.com/_veeJ/status/667237085158379521

There are some folks who have taken screen shots specially for you guys..
1. https://twitter.com/surakiller/status/666642447661817856
2. https://twitter.com/surakiller/status/666613142084911104
3. https://twitter.com/surakiller/status/666608582591295488
4. https://twitter.com/surakiller/status/666607824286318592
5. https://twitter.com/surakiller/status/666558275320569856

all the main screens retained for second week too with special shows on sat/sun in some of the screens , in fact some main screens shared the shows for Vedalam in the first week now given full shows in the 2nd week.. better luck next time :wave:

Freedom
20th November 2015, 12:40 AM
:lol: you and your sweeping comments, but enna Vaai da :bow: "Sonamutha pocha" was the comment a night before Arrambam release.... the movie went on to become one of the highest grosser... this time happy diwali folks-aam :lol: it is indeed a Happiest diwali for thala fans.. :D and what is this AMR sonnaru amr sonnaru in every thread ? you can defend only by bringing blog posts/comment section posts from your fellow pans ?? :(

all the main screens retained for second week too with special shows on sat/sun in some of the screens , in fact some main screens shared the shows for Vedalam in the first week now given full shows in the 2nd week.. better luck next time :wave:
நான் தான் சொன்னேனே .......

சில பேருக்கு சொல்லி புரிய வைக்க முடியாது , ஏன்னா அவங்கள கடவுள் படைச்ச டிசைன் அப்படி.

புரிஞ்சிகிட்டவன் பிஸ்தா!

Munsamy
20th November 2015, 02:15 AM
I thought Vijay fans and Kamal fans would have posted AM Rathnam's latest tweet that the world wide total collection after the first week was just 32C.
I am waiting !!!!

Mahen
20th November 2015, 06:29 AM
i also dont know ur age bro... but apdiye vachukinge.. anyhow with siva also he can create magic on screen if god grace one day he will act under shankar sure will know his maximum capabilities in BO.. BTW u said vedhalam released with thungavanam and its affects vedhalam collection but the truth is u can check the top 10 BO by cinemaonline .. a must trust website .. regarding movie i cannot disclosed here due to some reason...
already taken that into account in my assumption.

Nawaaz
20th November 2015, 09:49 AM
நான் தான் சொன்னேனே .......

சில பேருக்கு சொல்லி புரிய வைக்க முடியாது , ஏன்னா அவங்கள கடவுள் படைச்ச டிசைன் அப்படி.

புரிஞ்சிகிட்டவன் பிஸ்தா!
Yeah Tamil selvan was right. The lack of basic common sense nu sonaar about a set of fans :wink:

Nawaaz
20th November 2015, 09:54 AM
[emoji38] you and your sweeping comments, but enna Vaai da [emoji144] "Sonamutha pocha" was the comment a night before Arrambam release.... the movie went on to become one of the highest grosser... this time happy diwali folks-aam [emoji38] it is indeed a Happiest diwali for thala fans.. :D and what is this AMR sonnaru amr sonnaru in every thread ? you can defend only by bringing blog posts/comment section posts from your fellow pans ?? :(

Do you want me to post 1st week empty seats SS?

BTW no one went for marriage in USA and saw it house full? :wink:

The question was very simple, with basic life being impossible coz of rain, people are so interested in watching movies?

It was same question in vikatan article about AMR. At least for puli producers came out with numbers. Last 3 movies AM Ratnam nelamai .. athuvum YA.... [emoji38]

Distributors fake. AM Ratnam fake.. Not sure who is real

selvakumar
20th November 2015, 11:34 AM
At least AMR didn't have to apologize in public for not being able to pay salary for the actors. For this, one doesn't need common sense. Even eyes and ability to read / see is enough

Siv.S
20th November 2015, 12:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rft-HwUypfk

Q. did u watched puli and vedalam ?
Gautham menon : i watched Vedalam, i know why it worked big :)

ALWAR_AJITH
20th November 2015, 01:37 PM
At least AMR didn't have to apologize in public for not being able to pay salary for the actors. For this, one doesn't need common sense. Even eyes and ability to read / see is enough

and y should AMR continue if arrambam is flop? y he not find the box office king for replace ?

sakthii
20th November 2015, 02:01 PM
NO one will tell how much his earnings are. this is all made by fans to put their own actors in high! In past total no. of days running was the bench mark, also 100, 200 days functions and posters and sheilds... now they dont know how to keep their actors high except these collection reports.

But Ajith is standing apart from all these, he is breaking all cliches .. no mass title, no big directors, no song release function, no promotion, no trailer... list goes..

Siv.S
20th November 2015, 03:16 PM
Upcoming Tamil movies to be screened in Poland due to Vedalam's grand success! :clap: :clap:

https://youtu.be/Bt-ztQQSNsw

Siv.S
20th November 2015, 03:26 PM
Siva gundan sema kushiyaa irukkan :-D

https://youtu.be/QbBHFUtBzi8

rachel
20th November 2015, 03:40 PM
it looks like ajith's growing popularity,craziness among youth and success of his movies have upset some malicious people in the film industry and media. :shock:

regarding thatstamil people ..they are the same people who said his recent movies all made 100 crs

ALWAR_AJITH
20th November 2015, 05:02 PM
it looks like ajith's growing popularity,craziness among youth and success of his movies have upset some malicious people in the film industry and media. :shock:

regarding thatstamil people ..they are the same people who said his recent movies all made 100 crs

:shhh: now thatstamil become bible for pulifans.. dont talk about it

ALWAR_AJITH
20th November 2015, 05:17 PM
:shoot:

Freedom
20th November 2015, 10:38 PM
Do you want me to post 1st week empty seats SS?

BTW no one went for marriage in USA and saw it house full? :wink:

The question was very simple, with basic life being impossible coz of rain, people are so interested in watching movies?

It was same question in vikatan article about AMR. At least for puli producers came out with numbers. Last 3 movies AM Ratnam nelamai .. athuvum YA.... [emoji38]

Distributors fake. AM Ratnam fake.. Not sure who is real

I know you hate Ajith and his movies. If you hate someone it is best to ignore and move on. Be happy with the facts that you have gathered and enjoy. Don't un-necessarily spam this thread.

Elarum inga vedhalam utter flop nu othukonga pa. atleast thread konjam cleana irukum.

bimmer
20th November 2015, 11:13 PM

Rajni in CM - Oruthanukku enthirichu nikkave vakku illayam avanukku 9 Pondatiyam.

faithiu11
21st November 2015, 07:13 AM
Movie already a hit and blockbuster already in country lik malaysia ..tats aside...are u guys really happy with ajith'next.?if he works next 10 films with Siva it gonna end up as hit given its budget but I feel he should come out of his comfort zone and work with some good commercial directors

leosimha
21st November 2015, 08:57 AM
Movie already a hit and blockbuster already in country lik malaysia ..tats aside...are u guys really happy with ajith'next.?if he works next 10 films with Siva it gonna end up as hit given its budget but I feel he should come out of his comfort zone and work with some good commercial directors
Idhu nalla irukkae.....naama enna nenakaramo adhu enna nadakkava poradhu....let us not forget that vj-perarasu combination have given classics like thirupachi and sivakasi....which went on to become "sleeper hits" during the dull period when our thala movies weren't released.....would have been more happier if he had done thirupathi too but unfortunately it came to thala's hand....let us mark this post and see if you still stick to the same stand if at all in future vj joins hands with Siva.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

selvakumar
21st November 2015, 09:57 AM
Definitely, doing repeated films with Siva isn't a great idea and we all agree with that. He is like How Hari was for Surya. Alternating isn't a problem but continuous masala would be a problem. In fact, Ajith fans in hub expressed this even decades ago. But Siva isn't some bad commercial directors whom Thala selected. He is delivering and that's more important

selvakumar
21st November 2015, 09:58 AM
Surya did more films with Hari including aaru, vel etc

selvakumar
21st November 2015, 10:14 AM
And it doesn't mean he is doing only commercials. yA kind if subject won't be done by anyone (Nil heroism). After vedalam, I feel Siva had taken Thala to family audience. Something that he was missing. Every mass scene in the film is a testimony.

Freedom
22nd November 2015, 07:58 AM

As much as I'm happy, I'm not really sure if I want to see him in similar masala flair. I still feel Ajith is missing a film like Dhool, Gilli(pucca commercial no bars hold masala). I need something on those lines.

But it would be better for him to move to some new gen directors and keep himself on toes with next upcoming generation of audience.

selvakumar
22nd November 2015, 08:01 AM
Freedom - vedalam transformation fight and all was close enough.

Siv.S
22nd November 2015, 01:24 PM
How I wonder what you are...

Thoughts on stars, those people who keep making us go to the theatres even if, sometimes, we wish better sense had prevailed.

Why is Vedalam, Ajith’s Deepavali release, doing such boffo business at the Tamil Nadu box office? A lot of people have asked me this question, including a Delhi-based journalist who’s doing a story on the film and wanted to know: The movie is a disaster – in storytelling, acting, aesthetics and music. How has this masala genre as the template for heroism and mythmaking survived in the 20th century?

I don’t know if I have the answer. If we knew why films worked, there would be no flops. But yes, the extent of the Vedalam’s success is surprising, given that it has terrible comedy, a romantic track that appears to exist simply because you cannot have a film without a heroine (the hero barely looks at her in that way), and the villains have basically been instructed to act like gorillas after the zookeeper forgot their feed. And yet, something keeps us watching, and that something, I think, is the star. He’s the feed bag for the otherwise starved audience.

Let’s extend that culinary metaphor. The thing that makes a star a star is that secret (or sometimes not-so-secret) sauce he or she spices up the screen with. With Vijay and Shahid Kapoor, it’s the way they move. Many actors are good dancers, but when they dance, you hear them say, “I can execute these steps.” With these two, you hear, “Look at me be.” They don’t dance. They… flow. And watching this can sometimes be enough. No one seemed to like R… Rajkumar, but the exuberance of the song sequences left me with a high I couldn’t shake off for days. I don’t trust people who say they enjoy films only if there’s a “script,” or if it “makes sense.” With a certain kind of movie, yes, we expect all that — but there are films that engage us in other ways. When a star in his element, when Vijay cuts loose the way he does in the Karigalan number in Vettaikaaran, it’s like the sun has been replaced by a disco ball. Suddenly we realise how gloom-dispelling, how life-sustaining this stuff is, that trashy pleasures are a big, big part of why we go to the movies.

But what about other aspects of the performance, you ask? But a star is not required to be the on-screen answer to a multivitamin tablet, an A-Z repository of talent. That’s an actor’s job. It’s the actor who’s obligated to demonstrate his prowess at several levels. He must laugh. He must cry. He must do everything Kamal Haasan can do.

Now there’s an interesting case — an actor who’s also a star. And also a writer canny enough to give his fans the actor-star they come to see. His latest film, Thoongavanam, has an unconvincing moment where the tough cop he plays breaks down. See Kamal as just an actor, and you’ll find this to be uncharacteristic behaviour for a character toughened by years of service, but as a star, you can’t be too subtle. Your fans expect these emotionally charged moments where they can say, “Wow, what a great actor he is!” That’s what’s in the feed bag. My favourite Kamal Haasan moment in recent years is when his effeminate dancer in Vishwaroopam transforms, in a heartbeat, into a raging warrior. You’ve seen the actor thus far. Now we see the star. But wait, wasn’t the actor a false front as per the script — in other words, weren’t we always watching the star? Or is the measure of this star how far out on a limb he goes as an actor?

You could tie yourself up in knots deconstructing this scene, as also the one in Enthiran, where Evil Rajinikanth sniffs out and captures Good Rajinikanth, who’s in hiding as part of the former’s army. But what’s happening on screen is just the appetiser. For the main course, dig deeper. Evil Rajinikanth is the persona that we saw early on in the actor’s career, the thrilling bad guy who was gradually replaced — due to the compulsions of, yes, stardom — by the duller do-gooder Rajinikanth, and here’s the revenge. Idhu eppidi irukku? These are quintessential star moments, which allow us to go beyond the script and “converse” with star personas that have evolved over the years.

Does Ajith, who’s being compared to Rajinikanth after Vedalam’s success, have this kind of stardom yet? Maybe; may be not. It’s easier to look back on a star than to comment on him mid-creation. But with the shades of grey he’s able to accommodate in his characters, he’s at least a bracing change from other bland heroes whose stardom is a trap, confining them in cocoons of cloying virtue.

But sometimes, we become moralists and insist on virtue. When I posted a review of Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, a friend commented, “I don’t understand how a convicted murderer still gets to be leading man.” It’s terrible and perhaps points to a huge character flaw in me, but maybe some of us find it easier to separate the real and make-believe worlds, the way we do with Woody Allen and Roman Polanski. Because on screen, Salman Khan is a star – his USP is an endearing brattishness, abetted, no doubt, by his off-screen status of an unattached man who still lives with his parents. He’s the boy who never grew up. And Shah Rukh? He was a zillion-watt star in the Kabhi Khushi Khabhie Gham days, when he resurrected the s-s-s-swooning romantic hero for the Internet generation. You weren’t sure if he was going to carve your name in blood or carve you up. Then there’s Aamir, who’s single-handedly positioned himself as the biggest star-brand since Amitabh Bachchan. Quality, hard work, reliability — these may sound like jottings from a 1923 Boy Scout’s manual, but Aamir Khan has fashioned these resolutely unglamorous traits into a survival kit for stardom.

What about heroines? Sridevi was once called the female Bachchan (and later, I think Madhuri Dixit was too) — no further acknowledgement of stardom is necessary. But as much as I enjoy some of their performances, they put too much of themselves out there. I preferred Rekha, who had more mystique. She was the thing you saw when you peered into a deep well on a moonless night.

As for today’s actresses, they may be stars in terms of box-office value (Nayanthara, who’s apparently installed a hit-manufacturing unit in her backyard), and there are certainly some good performers, but they aren’t unique enough, the sauce isn’t special enough. Then again, you may differ. Because tastes differ. I’ve never understood the Hema Malini phenomenon, for instance. Very limited performer. A dazzler in her Johny Mera Naam days, but not so much later. And yet, she kept shining. What, I keep wondering, was the secret sauce? Her innate Indianness, perhaps? Sometimes, even this unknowability is the stamp of a star.

Baradwaj Rangan
The Hindu

faithiu11
23rd November 2015, 07:11 AM
As much as I'm happy, I'm not really sure if I want to see him in similar masala flair. I still feel Ajith is missing a film like Dhool, Gilli(pucca commercial no bars hold masala). I need something on those lines.

But it would be better for him to move to some new gen directors and keep himself on toes with next upcoming generation of audience.
Exactly my thoughts...personally i feel hsri is much much better director than siva in all the departments

paranitharan
26th November 2015, 01:39 PM
Therikka vidalaamaa?

paranitharan
26th November 2015, 01:51 PM
Looks like VMI is sponsoring crapfest in vikatan. 4 factually wrong articles written and sponsored by VMI.

paranitharan
26th November 2015, 11:19 PM
http://i67.tinypic.com/35mod4o.jpg

selvakumar
27th November 2015, 04:47 AM
http://ns7.tv/ta/vedalam-two-week-box-office-collection-grossed-gigantic-117-cores.html

இரண்டு வாரங்களில் 117 கோடி ரூபாய் அளவிற்கு வேதாளம் திரைப்படம் வசூல் ஈட்டியுள்ளதாக தகவல்கள் வெளியாகியுள்ளது.

மிகுந்த எதிர்ப்பார்ப்பிற்கிடையே நடிகர் அஜித்தின் நடிப்பில் வேதாளம் திரைப்படம் தீபாவளிக்கு வெளியாகி ரசிகர்களின் வரவேற்பால் பிரமாண்ட வெற்றி பெற்றுள்ளது. இந்த படம் வெளியான முதலே படம் குறித்த தகவல்களும் வசூல் குறித்த செய்திகளும் வெளிவந்தவண்ணம் உள்ளன,

அதுமட்டுமின்றி மழையை கூட பொருட்படுத்தாமல் ரசிகர்கலில்ன் வருகையால் நல்ல வசூல் பெற்று வருகிறது வேதாளம் திரைப்படம். மேலும் இந்த படத்தின் வசூல் முதல் நாளில் தமிழகத்தில் மட்டும் 15 கோடி ரூபாய்க்கும் மேல் வசூல் செய்து சாதனை படைத்தது, இரண்டு வாரங்களில் 117 கோடி ரூபாய் அளவிற்கு வசூல் ஈட்டியுள்ளதாகவும் தகவல்கள் வெளியாகியுள்ளது.

வீரம் படத்திற்கு பிறகு அஜித்தை வைத்து சிவா இயக்கியுள்ள இந்த படத்தில் லக்ஷ்மி மேனன், ஸ்ருதி ஹாசன், சூரி ஆகியோர் முக்கிய வேடங்களில் நடித்திருந்தனர். அதுமட்டுமின்றி மீண்டும் அஜித் சிவா கூட்டணி ஒரு புதிய படத்தில் இணையவிருப்பதாகவும் சமீபத்தில் செய்திகள் வெளியாகியுள்ளது, இது குறித்த அதிகாரப்பூர்வ அறிவிப்பு வெளியானால் இந்த கூட்டணி இணையும் ஹாட்ரிக் படமாக அடுத்த படம் அமையும் என்பதும் குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது.

paranitharan
27th November 2015, 02:30 PM
Vedalam title'i kalaaikallam'na, Thala check vaichar
Therikka vidalaamaa'i kalaaikkalaamna, avangale avangalukku check vaichutaanga

paranitharan
27th November 2015, 02:34 PM
Thala is giving continuous hits without big directors. Pandikai release or not, Thala padamna hit thaan. Competition, no competition, positive review, negative review don't matter.
Jana movie la oru dialogue solluvaar Thala. "Ethiroyadai balathaiyum eduthu kondu jeichitte iruppan"

Mahanathi Shankar Dheena la oru dialogue solluvaar "Thala irukkum pothu vaal aada kuudathu."

PARAMASHIVAN
27th November 2015, 03:33 PM
some one mention here , that there was a scene / reference to SS in vedhalam, I cant quite remember it, can some one tell me what scene / reference that is please ?

sakthii
28th November 2015, 03:40 PM
Vedalam title'i kalaaikallam'na, Thala check vaichar
Therikka vidalaamaa'i kalaaikkalaamna, avangale avangalukku check vaichutaanga

தனக்கு தானே ஆப்பு வைத்து கொண்டு சிரமபடுகிறார்கள் !

Siv.S
28th November 2015, 07:53 PM
some one mention here , that there was a scene / reference to SS in vedhalam, I cant quite remember it, can some one tell me what scene / reference that is please ?
mappi was the mentioned that, even i could not relate anything... mappi please explain :)

mappi
28th November 2015, 10:16 PM
Was refering to the medium two-shot (2S) from the stunt sequence on the yacht. When Ajith throws a side-kick who crashes on the glass pane, another goon runs towards him with a sharp object and tries to attack him from behind. Ajith does a 'back-headbutt' smashing the thug's face, like in the cult 2S from Thalapathi Rain Fight sequence where Rajini had done a similar headbutt.

Rajini in Thalapathi
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4663&d=1447240910]

Ajith in Vedhalam
http://www.mayyam.com/talk/attachment.php?attachmentid=4713&d=1448728909

shwas
28th November 2015, 11:19 PM
mappi bro...there r so many head shots like this.......vanishri in vani rani...kamal in apoorva sagodarargal...

PARAMASHIVAN
30th November 2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks Mappi and Siva!

balaajee
6th February 2016, 07:50 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/695583763296686082/z1JQuVGc_bigger.jpg Anirudh Ravichander ‏@Anirudh_FP (https://twitter.com/Anirudh_FP) 9h9 hours ago (https://twitter.com/Anirudh_FP/status/695659420651368448) Madurai North, India (https://twitter.com/search?q=place%3A1ff2054319353e51)
Happy News #AalumaDoluma (https://twitter.com/hashtag/AalumaDoluma?src=hash) Reached 9 million Views In Youtube :) @anirudhofficial (https://twitter.com/anirudhofficial) That's gr8 Ani :) #Vedhalam (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Vedhalam?src=hash)