PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

ajithfederer
25th April 2009, 01:29 AM
The same idea as it is in the other existing sections. Hubbers please quote the last Ilaiyaraaja song that they have listened.

The last song I listened was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51mi-u-6lDs

baroque
25th April 2009, 03:36 AM
I listened to
அதோ அந்த நதியோரம் இளம் காதலர் பாடம்
இதோ இந்த வனமெல்லாம் எங்கள் காவியக் கூடம் :musicsmile: ...ஏழை ஜாதி...ஜானகி. ...while driving this afternoon.
What a masterpiece!
:ty: Shri.Ilayaraaja.
VINATHA.

ajithfederer
25th April 2009, 06:20 AM
That is a fantastic song, baroque.

Got it http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00160.html

:D.

baroque
25th April 2009, 07:57 AM
:redjump:

K
25th April 2009, 09:05 AM
Oru Sudar Iru Sudar- Rajavin Paarvaiyiley

kalnayak
25th April 2009, 09:43 AM
"Pothivachcha Malligai mottu ...." from Manvaasanai.

venkiks
25th April 2009, 10:06 AM
"Nee thoongum nerathil, En nenjam thoongaathu" from Manasellam.

What a mesmerizing melody!

rajkumarc
25th April 2009, 01:40 PM
Naa Vaakkapattu Poga Pora Oora Pathi Kelu from Desiya Geetham.

Beautiful melody, superb singing and great orchestration.

ajithfederer
25th April 2009, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXXXTC_hKB4

Evergreen Raaja and a frequent number in my playlist.

:P

thumburu
26th April 2009, 12:05 AM
http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00032.html

"Idhu Ilamai iLamai iLamai
Thanga padhumai padhumai padhumai" - an obscure, peppy dance number by SJ and "one film wonder" Ramesh from "Ambigai Neril VandhaaL" . Thinking aloud why this Ramesh who is definitely better than Mano didnt get further chance in TFM. Song with guitar all over

Sureshs65
26th April 2009, 01:19 AM
The 3 songs of 'Bhagyadevata' are in loop currently.

rajasaranam
26th April 2009, 11:00 AM
He he.. :) Naan 5 nimishathukku oru vaatti inga vanthu post pannitte irukanum poala.
ராஜாவின் இசை இல்லாத பொழுது என்று ஒரு பொழுது உண்டா
என்ன? :)
Listened to 'Kungumathu meni' from Naan sivappu manithan...
second interlude :notworthy: Guitar, trumpet, flute....He is only composer who can have strong melody in a dance no. like this too. :)
Earlier to this song was listening to 'Vellikilamai' from 'Siva'...Just listen to the way Raaja adds the needed eroticism to the song while singing only few lines or words. It his rendition which takes the song to a different level altogether....'Ahaa' 'oho' 'Ammaamaam' .... 'Adadaa....' ippadi mattum solli solli itha semma matter songa aakkittaar :oops: oru edathula 'm'nnu mattum solvaar athula aayiram artham irukkum. :D

I've always felt that Raaja-Janakaraj (though very few songs) and Raaja-Sivakumar combos are ignored ( unlike Raaja-Ramarajaan, Raaja - Mohan combos.) and are separate genres which has to be explored and studied for the emergence of particular style for these two actors.

smartsambu
26th April 2009, 08:25 PM
1.பூங்காற்றே கொஞ்ஜம் உண்மை சொல்ல வருவாயா? - Friends

2. ரோஜா ஒன்று முத்தம் கேட்கும் நேரம் - கொம்பேறிமூக்கன்

The second song is such a melody with the lilting tune and the honey like voice of SPB and Janaki - a real maserpiece from Raja - one of my all time favourate

irir123
26th April 2009, 09:21 PM
He he.. :) ...He is only composer who can have strong melody in a dance no. like this too. :)

another amazing use of melody in a rap-like song by IR - it is in Telugu - IR simply lets loose the percussion and SPB given a free regin - in the higher octaves in the charanam, no other composer cud have explored the melody in such a fast-paces song!!

here is the link - http://rapidshare.com/files/225995799/02AttentionEverybody.mp3.html

Name of movie - Coolie No.1 (1991-92)

crvenky
27th April 2009, 10:04 AM
RS, another nice song for Janakaraj - Eduthu naan vidava. Voice and the stammering matches his voice to the T.

app_engine
28th April 2009, 11:50 PM
ரொம்ப நாளைக்கப்புறம் 'வனக்கிளியே' :-)

ஆஹா, என்ன அருமை! பல இசைப்பண்டிதர்கள் இதைப்பற்றிப்பக்கம் பக்கமாய் எழுதியுள்ளார்கள். கூட நான் எழுத ஒன்றுமில்லை.

என்றாலும், இன்று புதிதாய்த்தோன்றிய ஒரு உணர்வு - கிருஷ்ணச்சந்தர் நான் முன்பெல்லாம் திட்டிய அளவுக்கு அவ்வளவு மோசமொன்றுமில்லை என்பது. சமீப காலங்களில் நம்மை வதைக்கும் எத்தனையோ பேரை விட இவர் பல மடங்கு மேல் :-) மட்டுமல்ல, சுரேஷுக்கு மிகப்பொருத்தமான குரலும் கூட.

பால் மரியா, ஆர்.டி.பர்மனெல்லாம் புகழ்ந்த பாடல் அல்லவா? ஆர்க்கஸ்ட்ரேஷனில் இது இந்திய இசையில் ஒரு மிக முக்கிய மைல் கல் என்னும் அடியேனின் கருத்துக்கு அவர்கள் சான்றிதழ் அளித்திருப்பதாக வைத்துக்கொள்ளலாம் :-)

ajithfederer
29th April 2009, 08:10 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00575.html

Om Namashivaya

Thakida thadhumi

:thumbsup:

thamizhvaanan
29th April 2009, 11:09 AM
"Endha nenjil neengadha" - IR's version of a power ballad with Carnatic vocals... KJY ... Awesome :2thumbsup:

I'm just curious abt couple of instruments used, can anybody clarify? the one that appears in prelude 00:17 to 00:25 and interlude at 1:10 to 1:19. The later sounds like some indian bass instrument :?

I suspect it is just keyboard and bass guitar.

complicateur
29th April 2009, 11:57 AM
It is the bass guitar I think and a simulation of a Shehnai. The song is based in NaLinakAnthi I think.
OnnukkoNNu thuNai irukkum ulagaththilE - :musicsmile:

thumburu
29th April 2009, 01:22 PM
I have a feeling IR got inspired by ARR's style and employed it in "endhan nenjil neengaadha ennam". May be KR has his hand too in the arrangement.
Last song I heard is SJ solo "ammamamma iLam maalai thendral" from a 90's film "Thalaattu paadava". The interlude music is simply celestial with strings, flute , keyboard doing the magic. Elegant "suddhadhanyasi" and it brings to my mind's eye a golden orange hued evening sky just before the twilight . Well , Raja's music is capable of evoking such imagination

crajkumar_be
29th April 2009, 01:57 PM
மானே தேனே கட்டிப்புடி (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00694.html)

:musicsmile: :cool2:

Loop la oditrukku. Absolute joy! IR, SPB and the chorus

irir123
29th April 2009, 10:34 PM
"Sandhya ragapu" ('kadhal ragam'in Tamil) from INDRUDU CHANDRUDU - what an amazingly hip, urbane, sophisticated and racy melody with SPB' voice matching Kamal's perfectly - the 1st interlude starts off with strings that gives one a feeling of flying or driving in a covertible across a bridge over a sea channel! the 2nd interlude is class, with wind(brass?) instruments giving way to percussion and piano keys - and Kamal simply runs riot on screen to match this part! its these type of tracks that elevate both IR and Kamal head and shoulders way above their contemporaries and predecessors - brilliant teamwork!

kiru
30th April 2009, 10:19 AM
adhi kaalai kaaRRE nillu...not sure which movie. Sounds like early 90s going by the arrangment (prominent electric guitar and drums). But man..you should listen to chorus/humming..(why cant he just add a hiphop beat and send this off to the Oscar committee :-) )

rajasaranam
30th April 2009, 10:37 AM
adhi kaalai kaaRRE nillu...not sure which movie. Sounds like early 90s going by the arrangment (prominent electric guitar and drums). But man..you should listen to chorus/humming..(why cant he just add a hiphop beat and send this off to the Oscar committee :-) )

I remember you mentioning this song in some other thread too. Enna padamnne theriyala and I've searched in my database too and not able to find such a song :confused2:

ajithfederer
30th April 2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks na,

Just listened to it now. Now it is Ennodu Paatu Paadungal :2thumbsup:

மானே தேனே கட்டிப்புடி (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00694.html)

:musicsmile: :cool2:

Loop la oditrukku. Absolute joy! IR, SPB and the chorus

ajithfederer
30th April 2009, 11:02 AM
Ninaikinra Paathayil from Aathma :musicsmile:. This site is just fantastic.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00014.html

Raikkonen
30th April 2009, 01:13 PM
Kaalidasan Kannadasan

:notworthy:

Plum
30th April 2009, 01:16 PM
RS, adhikaalai katre nillu - is it unnai vaazhthi paadugiraen?

ajithfederer
30th April 2009, 02:12 PM
ஆட்டமா தேரோட்டமா - கேப்டன் பிரபாகரன் (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82R7IrIa5L0&feature=related)

thumburu
30th April 2009, 05:29 PM
I used to to have a tepid liking for a song from "Thalaivasal" with the same opening lines "adhi kaalai kaatre nillu", an SJ solo by an IR 'wannabe' MD , Balabharathy.
irir123, the prelude music , esp using the brass instruments in "kadhal ragamum" is sensational. But the 'Mano' factor in all the songs... aargh!!!!

app_engine
30th April 2009, 07:22 PM
"கடவுள் உள்ளமே ஓர் கருணை இல்லமே"

இந்தப்பாடல் தொடங்கும்போதே ம்யிர் கூச்செரியல்...கோரஸ் முடிந்து அந்தக்குழந்தைக்குரல் பாடத்தொடங்கும் போது இனம் புரியாத உணர்வுகளோடு தானாகக்கண்ணில் நீர் கசிய ஆரம்பித்து விட்டது.

என்ன ஒரு சக்தி வாய்ந்த இசை!

காலை நேரத்தில் இப்படிப்பட்ட பாடல் கேட்டால் முடியும் போது ஏதோ ஒரு அழுத்தமான ஆயாசம்...பல மணி நேரம் உழைத்தது போல இந்த உணர்வுப்பிரவாகங்கள் உடல் மீது கொண்டிருக்கும் பாதிப்பு:-(

இதை உறங்கும் முன் மட்டும் கேட்பது நல்லது என்று தோன்றுகிறது :-(

irir123
30th April 2009, 11:07 PM
app_engine - 'kadavul ullame' is beyond description - the tune, the melody, the interludes (such complex mix of guitar, strings, flute (and what else, i donno), no other MD is capable of and the lyrics - its complete in every respect/aspect even with the recording standards of the 1980s - 'anbu yennum noolil korthiya maalai'(garland woven with the thread of love) followed by the beautiful shift in the tune to 'paadham sellum paadhai kaattidum, thalaivaa, yem thalaivaa' (can be translated easily to 'the almighty showed us the path that our feet tread on') - another shift to 'jeevan yaavum ondru, ingu yaarum sondhaamey' ('under the eyes of the Almighty everyone is equal') n then slightly lifting it to 'idhu dhaan iyarkai thandha paasa bandhamey' (this is the bond that nature gave us all to bind together as one') - simply beautiful !!

this one song is a wonderful example of excellent teamwork of the lyricist and the composer! apty reflects 'Fatherhood of God and brotherhood of man'

as a sidenote, the context of the song is slightly similar to the 'pithcai patthiram' situation in Nan Kadavul - but NK was much more dark, and hence a more deeply philosophical/poignant structure with lyrics heavily entrenched in mysticism - there lies IR's genius in choosing the mood for the given situation

app_engine
30th April 2009, 11:14 PM
irir123,
Your translations to those verses are very nice!

ajithfederer
1st May 2009, 01:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJRmkAJqb60&feature=related

Muthumani sudare vaa !!!

kiru
1st May 2009, 02:59 AM
I used to to have a tepid liking for a song from "Thalaivasal" with the same opening lines "adhi kaalai kaatre nillu", an SJ solo by an IR 'wannabe' MD , Balabharathy.
..!
Exactly the same song..man..I am humbled..I was goddamn sure it was IR.. Well there you go ..this is what probably IR lacked ..product differentiation. Things have to be differentiated purely from quality of tune/orchestration point of view, not just structure/texture and sound.
(Btw, the song is available in thiraipaadal, rs pl. check it out)

A.ANAND
1st May 2009, 11:35 AM
malargalile aarthanai
sangga tamil kaviye
mayile mayile un thahai engge

i have all ir mp3 collection early 70's and 80's!ippallem intha song kettu kittu thonnga poven!really stress yellam panja parathidum!try pannunga :D

app_engine
1st May 2009, 08:57 PM
"கையெத்தா கொம்பத்துக்கண் எத்தேணம் - கண்ணெத்தா தூரத்துச்சென்னெத்தேணம்"
in loop continuously since last evening :-)

Raja let himself loose in vinOdha yAthra by getting back to his magical flute prelude & strong bass, absolute bass delight in the pallavi, saraNam bass getting back to the days of pagalil oru iravu! With nice recording thanks to modern tech, this song sounds sOOO sweeeeet!

Manjari has both girlish don't-care-style-singing in the pallavi and serious azuththam in the anu pallavi and saraNam. Another good addition to the group that started with Sujatha-Jency in 70's, later Chitra, Swarnalatha and now Shreya, Manjari...Raja always had those "middle-class-young-decent-girls" performing for some nice numbers:-)

புது மணப்பெண்ணாக மஞ்சரி :
[html:0dbcde110d]
http://malayalam.galatta.com/control/admin/image/415200921927PMManjari-wed_2.jpg
[/html:0dbcde110d]

Sureshs65
1st May 2009, 11:41 PM
app_eng,

Yes. 'Kaiyetha' is a modern masterpiece and very well rendered by Manjari. I like her version more than the KJY version. The great man seems to be struggling a bit. Wonderful tune and wonderful orchestration.

app_engine
2nd May 2009, 12:21 AM
I like her version more than the KJY version. The great man seems to be struggling a bit.

I felt the same in every IR-KJY song of late:-( I think it started with the Julie Ganapathi song (minminippArvaigal) that's somewhat similar to kaiyeththA. I found him struggling a lot in the saraNam of 'onnukkonnu thuNai irukkum ulagaththilE' also. There seems to be even some sound editing to "join" phrases, especially when the pitch changes.

Sad to see this from my fav singer. He could sing practically non-stop for hours, on stage, with absolutely no pisiRu for possibly the widest frequency bandwidth by any playback singer. (I had one ponnAna opportunity at Palakkad to witness this and got astounded where the instrumentalists struggled to keep pace with him song after song)

tvsankar
2nd May 2009, 12:38 AM
kaiyetha - great song. great rendering.
thanks for the info app.

olangal - thumbi vaa ku aduthu
enaku romba pidicha IR mallu song
idhu dhan.........

Sureshs65
2nd May 2009, 01:13 AM
I found him struggling a lot in the saraNam of 'onnukkonnu thuNai irukkum ulagaththilE' also. There seems to be even some sound editing to "join" phrases, especially when the pitch changes.

Very true. I too felt the same. There is definitely some joining which has taken place.

He could sing practically non-stop for hours, on stage, with absolutely no pisiRu for possibly the widest frequency bandwidth by any playback singer.

Very true again.

ajithfederer
2nd May 2009, 02:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iApAq2ZVN4Y&feature=related

Raapa thaku thiku ....Potta padiyudhu paiyudhu!!!

baroque
3rd May 2009, 12:48 AM
Smooth piano, strings,violin, flute with dreamy S.P.B with Asha
ஒ BUTTERFLY ....மீரா ... ILAYARAJA's soft music caressed my ears, manasu and mind this cloudy morning! PURE CLASS! :musicsmile: வினதா

eagle
3rd May 2009, 12:30 PM
Listened to "anbe vaa arugile" last nite (morning?) 2'o clock.
Simply amazing!!!

The prelude itself is a surprise package, found intricate musical pieces overlooked in my earlier listenings...

may be the time factor?... nothing like it when you listen to raaja's music in the calm of late night....

eagle
3rd May 2009, 12:35 PM

Enna padam?

app_engine
3rd May 2009, 07:39 PM

Enna padam?

kOzhi koovuthu (EdhO mOham)

tvsankar
3rd May 2009, 08:59 PM

Enna padam?

kOzhi koovuthu (EdhO mOham)

app,

vanakiliyae - Priyanka???

Sanjeevi
3rd May 2009, 09:40 PM
the priyanka song is absolutely fantastic especially the interlude :)

eagle
3rd May 2009, 11:17 PM
ennappa kuzhapareenga? :?

ajithfederer
4th May 2009, 12:47 AM
http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00721.html

Thotathilae paathikatti ,velai illadhavan- Listenable any time

app_engine
4th May 2009, 02:02 AM
நான் தெளிவாகத்தானே எழுதி இருக்கிறேன் - கோழி கூவுது - ஏதோ மோகம் என்று? அதில் வரும் பிரமாதமான வரி - 'வனக்கிளியே' :-)

gganesh
4th May 2009, 02:16 PM
வழிவிடு வழிவிடு வழிவிடு என் தேவி வருகிறாள்

Sanjeevi
4th May 2009, 02:43 PM
ennappa kuzhapareenga? :?

een kuzhampureenga :)

app_engine
4th May 2009, 08:44 PM
"bAtEin hawA" by Shreya in Cheeni Kum (the version without dialogues by AB)...

The most impressive thing about this song is IR's "never-say-lost" attitude :-)

I'm sure he knew he had a total-lost-case in this song. At least in the sense of making it any better than the original. After all, the original didn't even have the tech handicap (that some of his classics had) and sounds lovely even totay. And Shreya at that point is absolutely no match for KSC, who was at her peak when delivering the 'kuzhaloodhum kaNNan'.

What more, the original had another master sitting by Raja's side and approving his notes :-) On top of these, it was a totally folk melody - tailor made for the original and had one of the best ever picturizations in TF. The beautiful Radha singing for her kuzhaloodhum kaNNan (I can't think of anything better than the moment when Mohan appreciates the song with a slight nod of his head when the best moment in the saraNam comes).

Whereas this new UK based movie may not even have any situation to match the original (ofcourse the song didn't make it to the screen at all).

With all these background (handicaps?), IR would have tried his best to discourage the director of CK , IMG, from using that melody.

However, when that was declined (again IMG) and he was asked to work on remaking, he would have wondered - how can I match that classic - let alone making anything better than that :-(

That's where IMO, Raja's thuLLal, iLamai, +ve attitude - everything came into play.

Ofcourse, overall, this song is many many grades lower than the original without any doubt. However, Raja made sure that at least for few seconds of the song he'll throw something incredible to impress the listeners - and that's the hair raising flute piece in the first interlude. WOW, what a grand piece it turned out to be - every time raising goose bumps even in a "die-hard-kuzhaloodhum-lover" like me:-)

No wonder this man is scoring for movies enthusiastically even when he is past the retirement age of most countries!

thumburu
5th May 2009, 03:48 PM
gganesh, "vazhi vidu vazhi vidu" is an underrated beauty, why, the whole album "paattu paadava" is underrated. SPB opens with a nice humming and the composition itself is quite intricate with tricky notes . SPB sings with such an elan and poise which the composer himself was found wanting when he took his singing abilities seriously :(

Sureshs65
5th May 2009, 07:52 PM
thumburu,

For this particular song, "vazhi vidu" I know lot of people will differ with you wrt Raja's singing. I though Raja does a good job and the emotions come out quite well but to each his/her own I guess :)

ajithfederer
5th May 2009, 11:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejB9iEIQIm0

:D

gganesh
6th May 2009, 11:18 AM
gganesh, "vazhi vidu vazhi vidu" is an underrated beauty, why, the whole album "paattu paadava" is underrated.:(

This "vazhi vidu vidu" is my neighbour's choice during the dates of its release to "chase" his neighbour "devi"... Whenever I hear the song I remember them both... :roll:

But Thumburu as you mentioned the SPB humming is something gets us into the song from the very beginning. There is a clear difference in the way voices are used... SPB's is the real beauty certainly.. I like the female humming that fills the second interlude, how it ends and then how SPB takes off... the saranam has a nice mix of the drums and tabla creating the much required blend... the touch :D

thumburu
6th May 2009, 05:54 PM
While "aasai 100 vagai" and "kaviriye kavikkuyile" garnered all the ears, I listened last to an under-appreciated song "vaazhga rani vaazhga rajangam" - SPS/SJ duet from "Adutha varisu" . I liked the sarcastic tone in SPShailaja's voice when compared to the "urukkam" in Janaki's. SPShailaja was fortunate to sing many coveted IR songs like "solai kuyile", "saamakozhi","malargaLil aadum iLamai" etc. Puzzled why he stopped using her. Atleast Bhava"tarini"'s numbers should have gone to her.
Coming to this song, quite racy rythm, mid eastern feel , amazing brass, strings, trumpets, mysterious sounding congo/bongo beats [ Iam like what kamal says "Indiyile idhu thaan sitaaru" in "Kadhala kadhala" , in identifying musical instruements]. When SPShailaja fills the gap with "thagu thagu.." , reminds me of her legendary bro. Well, "puliyoda pirandhadhu poonaiyaguma?"

app_engine
7th May 2009, 10:08 PM
"jAne dO nA" of CK.

Perhaps the only song which bettered the TFM version. (Some may say it wasn't up to the Kannada original which I can neither agree nor disagree as my exposure to KFM is close to nothing, even though I've been to B'lore 100's of times and stayed many days. Unfortunately Kannada is also the least sweet of SI languages to my ears).

Right from the beautiful piano prelude to the end, there's no dull moment in the song. Excellent bass score, Shreya beautifully bringing the movie's heroine to the mind with some konjal-kuzhaichchal) and to top them all, the majestic lead guitar (or synthetic?) accompaniments - mirattal.

I've always loved the angry-like guitar scores of Raja, appadiyE puli uRumuRa mAdhiri irukkum (listen to the prelude of 'oru ooril oru mahaRani' of garjanai - that guitar-synthesiser sound is real garjanai)

Sureshs65
8th May 2009, 01:02 AM
AE,

'jane do na' is a nice song but I like the Kannada version more. The basic difference to me is the seriousness of the Kannada version as compared to the fun aspect in the Hindi version. Kannada version is a real classic.

ajithfederer
8th May 2009, 02:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmLYJwee2I&feature=related

Unnai thaan nittham nitham - Maapillai

app_engine
8th May 2009, 02:35 AM
AE,

'jane do na' is a nice song but I like the Kannada version more. The basic difference to me is the seriousness of the Kannada version as compared to the fun aspect in the Hindi version. Kannada version is a real classic.

May be true but I'll never know :-) The TF version was just an average song IMO. Also it was unfortunate to get placed in a movie that didn't require any songs and they were rightly ignored in appreciation compared to the phenomenal BGM score of Raja...his east-west fusion music for the Nalini ESP scenes are hair raising!

Renault
8th May 2009, 08:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXmLYJwee2I&feature=related

Unnai thaan nittham nitham - Maapillai

This song was way ahead of its times (1989).. special ending of this song by spb is a major highlight.. what an improvisation..

What an electric start and tempo is maintained throughout.

Rajinikanth.. pls come back to Raja..

baroque
8th May 2009, 08:58 PM
PONVEYILILE.......CHITHRA.
Honey soaked melody with chorus, synthetic, violin, flute.

http://www.in.com/music/track-ponveyilile-159475.html

oru yatra mozhi. :musicsmile:
vinatha.

A.ANAND
8th May 2009, 10:31 PM
katril entha geetham-johny

oru gundumani minnithu minuthu kannma kathula kathula-avtharam

kannle kathal kavithai sonnale enakaga-aathma

Sureshs65
8th May 2009, 10:54 PM
Other than the Bhagyadevatha songs, listening to 'Tiruvonam' song from 'Kavalai Padathe Sagodhara' (Illayaraja and Sujatha). A very nice song.

Raikkonen
11th May 2009, 09:01 PM
sodi kili enge sollu sollu - forgotten goodness from thalaivar's padikathavan.. :thumbsup:

baroque
12th May 2009, 03:38 AM
MADHU BALAKRISHNAN AND SWETHA..INNATHE CHINTHAVISHYAM-2008.
manassiloru poomaala
I love you love you
koruthuvachchathaaraanu
you love me love me
manichikaala maanu poomeeno HOI... :redjump: :swinghead:
MUSIC EXALTS JOY with rag KIRWANI vibrations( Raga Kirwani, Couple of NON - Ilayaraja COMPOSITIONS...
என்ன சொல்ல போகிறாய் ....கண்டுகொண்டேன் கண்டுகொண்டேன் ...ரஹ்மான்.
AANE WAALA PAL.....GOLMAAL.....R.D.BURMAN.
பாட்டு பாடவா...தேன் நிலவு .... Gem of a composition.
கண்ணு ரெண்டும் மின்ன மின்ன ... P. B. ஸ்ரீநிவாஸ் & L. R. ஈஸ்வரி ... ஸ்ரீ.விஸ்வநாதன் fills your ears with raga keervani ambience when it starts.

நீதானா நீதானா......தாலாட்டு பாடவா, ராசாத்தி மனசுல.... more more more songs from Shri.Ilayaraja)

Vinatha. :)

Querida
12th May 2009, 07:51 AM
Engengo Sellum...a journey worth taking...enjoy.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00482.html

baroque
12th May 2009, 08:12 AM
Q
எங்கெங்கோ செல்லும் .... MUSICAL GOD strikes the universe with his Suddha dhanyasi radiance, stunning guitar, strings, humming orchestration...

Magical Early IR unleashed his power with BREEZY LOVER BOY & Janaki! :thumbsup:

Forever Slave !

:musicsmile: :bluejump: :thumbsup: :ty: ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 10:28 AM
Vinatha,

'Manasiloru Poomala'. A very nice song. Also the song from the same move, 'Kandu Kandu Kaka Kuyile' is good as well. The latter song got some award to M G Sreekumar.

ajithfederer
12th May 2009, 12:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzvlP1ixhLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mqkoWnsHuo&feature=related

:musicsmile:

crajkumar_be
12th May 2009, 04:23 PM
"Karugu Mani"
Pastoral honey :musicsmile:

thumburu
12th May 2009, 05:14 PM
hi af and renault, "unnai thaan nitham nitham" has zingy beats and trumphets which aptly suit youthful Rajini's flamboyance and style. Rajini is past his prime and it is reduced to a caricature these days by medicre directors like shankar/pvasu . I wish he does some meaninful roles befitting his age

A.ANAND
12th May 2009, 06:34 PM
keeravani nilavile kanavile paadavani
ithayame uruguthey adi yennadi sothanai
ithu valiba vethanai thanimayil ennadi sanngathi vaani nee!

don't know which movie but mindblowing song!esply.the s.p.b humming prelude.[out of the world!]watched this in sun music today!

Shakthiprabha.
12th May 2009, 06:37 PM
keeravani nilavile kanavile paadavani
ithayame uruguthey adi yennadi sothanai
ithu valiba vethanai thanimayil ennadi sanngathi vaani nee!

don't know which movie but mindblowing song!watched this in sun music today!

paadum paravaigaL. Dubbed from telugu. Fantastic thriller!

baroque
12th May 2009, 08:05 PM
yeah, kando kando....Vintage IR conjures amazing silly, playful mood. :bluejump:
I love the visuals too, Suresh.

Raikkonen
12th May 2009, 08:37 PM
poongatru from moondram pirai

:notworthy: vintage Raaja

ananth222
12th May 2009, 08:58 PM
"Vazhimaru vazhimaru" from Ponmudi Puzhayorathu
this is a great album from 2005. But apart from "oru chiri kandaal" it wasn't well appreciated. This song has great percussions and interludes. The harmonizations at the end is truly Raaja!

Sureshs65
12th May 2009, 09:23 PM
Aaah Ananth. I have personally posted atleast a few times about this very nice album, 'Ponmudipuzhayorathu'. As you say, it was not appreciated much except for 'Oru Chiri Kandal'. I too was not impressed the first so can't blame others. But now most of the songs are in my playlist. 'Vazhimaru', 'Ammayennu Vaaku', 'Nadaswaram Kaetto', 'Oru Chiri Kandal' all play regularly in my player. I love 'Nadaswaram Kaeto'. The beats are amazing. Desperately trying to get the Audio CD but no luck till now :( Does anyone know where to get 'Bhagyadevatha' CD online. No luck in Bangalore stores till now.

Was watching 'Sendhazham Poovil' on TV yesterday and noticed that at 'valaindhu nelindhu sellum paaadhai' Raaja plays the shenoy wherein the tune imitates 'valanju nelinju'. Amazing stuff that.

baroque
12th May 2009, 09:50 PM
Vazhi maaru.... is a rhythmic delight, I blast it all the time! :)
oru ciri kandal......is my favorite recent mayamalawa gowlai. solo veena is pleasing and romantic.
Manjari and Swetha are getting very melodious songs from IR.
ACHUVINTE AMMA - good film, nice job by Urvasi and Meera jasmine, sweet enthu paranjaalum..... love the mood of the composition.
vinatha.

buggle
13th May 2009, 12:38 AM
Kaathal Kavithaigal Padithidum from Gopura Vasalile

From the recent tamil movie i watched SMS(Siva Manasule Sakthi) this song has featured in one of the scenes.
After watching the movie i looked back to my old collection and then played the song atleast 100 times and my 6 year old loves it as well and he keep asking for it whenever i drop and pickup from his school.
Coming back to the song, very simple and catchy tune flowing steadily all through the song and beautifully sung by SPB and KSC.
Though my preference will always be SJ, but in this song KSC had done a wonderful job especially in the closing pallavi she does the "Hmm" same as SPB which was excellant.

baroque
13th May 2009, 01:59 AM
nammura mandaara hoove....hele koogilee....melodious flute and classical guitar passages..honey soaked Chithra...rag suddha dhanyasi. :musicsmile:

:ty: nammura mandaara hoove..what a musical treat! :musicsmile:

vinatha.

Plum
13th May 2009, 11:44 AM
baroque, NMH really is a treat. Hele Kogile- tamil version sung by Bhavadharini. Kangalin Vaarthaigal sunk without a trace. The orchestration is just brilliant - brimming with life, and the enchanting mystery of a western ghat jungle.

Sureshs65
13th May 2009, 12:33 PM
Plum,

You have put it wonderfully. "The mystery of the western ghats". I listened to this song the first time on FM in Bangalore and immediately knew it could only be IR!! The other outstanding song from the movie is 'Omkaradi'. I like the Chitra alone version more:) As you say, IR somehow captures the imagery of Karnataka in these songs.

Sureshs65
13th May 2009, 12:37 PM
Given that more than one Raja album has come out, my 'current' Raja song list has increased. My current playlist:

Swapnangal (Bhagyadevatha)
Alli Poove (Bhagyadevatha)
Thira Tanni (Bhagyadevatha)
Unnai Enakku (Azhagar Malai)
Karugumani (Azhagar Malai)
Yenidu Yenidu (Nannavanu)
Tu tu Muthamma (Nannavanu)
Modalane Baari (Nannavanu)

Pure melodies and pure bliss!!! I was still struggling to get out of the 'Swapnangal' magic when Raja hits you with these new songs.

madhu
13th May 2009, 12:43 PM
தென்றல் காற்றே... ஒன்றாய் போவோமா ! - அதர்மம்

Sanjeevi
13th May 2009, 12:44 PM
Given that more than one Raja album has come out, my 'current' Raja song list has increased. My current playlist:

Swapnangal (Bhagyadevatha)
Alli Poove (Bhagyadevatha)
Thira Tanni (Bhagyadevatha)
Unnai Enakku (Azhagar Malai)
Karugumani (Azhagar Malai)
Yenidu Yenidu (Nannavanu)
Tu tu Muthamma (Nannavanu)
Modalane Baari (Nannavanu)

Pure melodies and pure bliss!!! I was still struggling to get out of the 'Swapnangal' magic when Raja hits you with these new songs.

Exactly my situation. I am just addicted to Raaja's new songs :D

Sanjeevi
13th May 2009, 02:15 PM
AM songs

Karuga Mani :thumbsup: - free flow

Kizhakku Vellukkuthu - antha prelude :thumbsup: nice lyrics also

கட்டிலிலே கட்டிலிலே காணமல் போவமா
தொட்டிலிலே தொட்டிலிலே நமை தேடி எடுப்போமா

I dont know why some of us did not like AM songs. because they have known tamil lyrics?

rajasaranam
13th May 2009, 04:41 PM
Yenna Jenma from Ezhumalaiyaan Mahimai (http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00161.html) is a dubbed version sri yendukondala swami.
The song somehow has traces of 'Kallai Irunthen' from 'Uliyin Osai'. Think it is the same template :wink:

baroque
13th May 2009, 10:14 PM
yeah Plum and Suresh,

beautiful mystic place indeed.

Another IR-S.P.Bala-Shivarajkumar composition I enjoyed yesterday......
LOVER Boy's humming & mysterious flute, romantic sax, female chorus humming..
baa bare O gelathi.......PREMA RAAGA HAADU GELATHI. :musicsmile:

dhanyavad,
vinatha.

Sureshs65
14th May 2009, 02:46 PM
Yesterday night in one of the Tamil Channels I saw a song which went 'Mazhaiye Mazhaiye'. This had Prathap Pothen and Saritha in the lead and they were trying to be romantic!!! The number sounded like a Raja number. I haven't heard this earlier. Does anyone know of this song? Details please.

thumburu
14th May 2009, 03:06 PM
"mazhaiye mazhaiye" is by Shankar Ganesh duo. Those heavy guitar strums and mediocre interludes are a give away. But as I had mentioned in some earlier threads, they gave stiff competition to IR during late 70's to early 80's but soon withered away.
My last album is from "muLLum malarum" and each of the 4 songs beholds us and gives us the listening pleasure.
My order of preferance starts with "sendhazhampoovil" by the majestic KJY . I took special note of suresh's observation, the shenoy bit after "vaLiandhu neLindhu pogum paadhai". I was reminded of a serpent 's crawl with "vaLaivu , neLivu". Raja's creative juice simply oozing out has no parallel in IFM . The secretive bass flute before the start of "iLaiya paruvam malaiyil vandhaal" and the music bit after "azhagu migundha rajakumari megamaaga pogiraaL" are akin to breathtaking beauty of nature's splendour

thumburu
14th May 2009, 03:06 PM
"mazhaiye mazhaiye" is by Shankar Ganesh duo. Those heavy guitar strums and mediocre interludes are a give away. But as I had mentioned in some earlier threads, they gave stiff competition to IR during late 70's to early 80's but soon withered away.
My last album is from "muLLum malarum" and each of the 4 songs beholds us and gives us the listening pleasure.
My order of preferance starts with "sendhazhampoovil" by the majestic KJY . I took special note of suresh's observation, the shenoy bit after "vaLiandhu neLindhu pogum paadhai". I was reminded of a serpent 's crawl with "vaLaivu , neLivu". Raja's creative juice simply oozing out has no parallel in IFM . The secretive bass flute before the start of "iLaiya paruvam malaiyil vandhaal" and the music bit after "azhagu migundha rajakumari megamaaga pogiraaL" are akin to breathtaking beauty of nature's splendour

Sureshs65
14th May 2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the clarification thumburu. The channel was on and I heard the song. I was not listening to it keenly but honestly didn't sound like a Shankar Ganesh song though I must confess I haven't heard their output much.

Nice description of the 'sendhazham poovil' song. Fully with you when you say that there are very few who have matched Raja in full flow.

jaiganes
14th May 2009, 08:06 PM
Om shivoham
needless to say anything abt this song.

Sureshs65
14th May 2009, 09:07 PM
Was listening today in car to three Malayalam duets back to back. In three ragas which are close to Raja.

Kodamanjin - Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal
Mandara Poo Mooli - Vinodayatra
Oru Chiri Kandal - Ponmudipuzhayorathu

Excellent songs all three of them. Suddha Saveri, Kalyani and Mayamalavagowla, in that order.

app_engine
15th May 2009, 03:02 AM
"How to Name it" - this is probably the CD that got repeated as much as Paul Mauriat's Love is blue anniversary collection CD.

ஆரம்பத்துல கொஞ்ச நேரம் வீணை வந்துட்டு அப்புறம் திரும்ப வயலின், செல்லோ சேர்ந்து ஒரு மிரட்டு மிரட்டுமே - அப்பா, வானத்துல பறக்கறதுன்னா இது தான் !

People who question about IR's capabilities (he never wrote symphony, TiS was just oratario not symphony etc) should just listen to "How to name it" and "Do anything".

I would easily rate these two along with age old classics of ANY form of music in the world.

The proof is in the pudding - a marvel.

irir123
15th May 2009, 06:44 PM
"vachha paarvai theeraadhadi" from ILAMAI KOLAM

very difficult to categorize this song under any genre, as it has an essentially kutthu feel, but still an rocking melody!! the genre gets even more complicated to zero in on, since the singer is KJY who makes the melody sound ever more sweeter!

http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00192.html

only IR can manage something like this

app_engine
15th May 2009, 06:53 PM
கண்டிப்பா "வச்சப்பார்வ தீராதடி" தெம்மாங்கு தான் ! காரணம் ? வார்த்தைகள் :-) "மச்சான்" வந்துட்டாலே அது ஆட்டமேட்டிக்கா நாட்டுப்புறத்து ஓட்டு வாங்கிடும் :-)

Sureshs65
15th May 2009, 09:06 PM
AE,

Nowadays the appearance of the word 'machan' gets the vote of Namita I heard :)

ajithfederer
16th May 2009, 12:10 AM
Inji Idupalagi Jyun Ji hun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9rDP3M-jc&feature=related)

ajithfederer
16th May 2009, 12:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iclv2Sg5j6c&feature=related

:musicsmile: - Any time, any day and any minute.

crajkumar_be
16th May 2009, 12:17 AM
Inji Idupalagi Jyun Ji hun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v9rDP3M-jc&feature=related)

?

ajithfederer
16th May 2009, 12:20 AM
:oops:

Adhu innoru figure-nga(Avatar-ae paakavum). Adhukkum Inji iduppu than. Oru flow-la vandhiruchu kandukaadheenga.

?

ajithfederer
16th May 2009, 12:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ93fa2Q1Es&feature=related

One of my favorite Rajni songs. IR and KJY :)

crajkumar_be
16th May 2009, 12:29 AM
:oops:

Adhu innoru figure-nga(Avatar-ae paakavum). Adhukkum Inji iduppu than. Oru flow-la vandhiruchu kandukaadheenga.

?
edho Korean pada title nu nenachen (Asian movies thread la padicha nyabagam).. adhaan enna connection nu yosichen :)

ajithfederer
16th May 2009, 12:32 AM
:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYS5hUy9Ug&feature=related

:cool2:

Sureshs65
17th May 2009, 01:05 PM
Listen to a tape which has duets of SPB, music Illayaraja. Lovely 'Manadhile oru paatu'. Excellent song. Also listening to 'Pesakudadhu'. Can anyone imagine the charanam would start that way? Top drawer stuff this.

thumburu
18th May 2009, 02:57 PM
The next "MuLLum malarum" song that grabs my eyeballs [ Shoba's natural beauty plus the picturesque rainbow ] and ears is " adi penne" . Jency's debut would be the envy of any aspiring singer . The song's prelude and postlude have been enough written about for posterity sake. A joyous out pour of strings, jalatharangam and flute , the percussion with a "tumble down" effect is like gushing stream of water cascading down the mountainous rocks .
Towards the end of the first interlude just after the flute bits comes the crescendo of violins playing "Brindhavanasaranga" high notes. Takes me to ecstatic state as MS singing the lines "Rangapura vihara"

Renault
18th May 2009, 07:39 PM
Chukkalu temanna from April 1 Viduthala. This is the first teleugu song of Raja I hve given importance to and it was worth it.

I liked this song more than its tamil original "Chithirai Sevvanam" from Kaatrinile varum geetham. SPB, ROCKS!!!

tvsankar
18th May 2009, 09:16 PM
varuvai anbae
tharuvai ondru

Haunting tune..........

http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00165.html

crajkumar_be
19th May 2009, 08:21 PM
"Muthamma Muthamma" - Azhagar Malai
Tremendous :thumbsup:

aana Madhu Balakrishnan is not the best choice for this song IMO...

Yes, the openings strings, the tune, percussion, bass lines - so much 80s Raaja and therefore timeless by definition

ajithfederer
19th May 2009, 11:27 PM
Rajathi Raja un thanthirangal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyUD276YcU&feature=channel)

So Soothing, Raja :musicsmile:

tvsankar
20th May 2009, 12:40 AM
Rajathi Raja un thanthirangal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRyUD276YcU&feature=channel)

So Soothing, Raja :musicsmile:

thanks for the youtube.

2nd interlude is very nice...................

thumburu
20th May 2009, 01:16 PM
[tscii:0f1f4e654e]Usha, "varuvai anbe" from "Garjanai" is a rare gem to be unearthed.
Next instalment of “MuLLum malarum” songs follows with the sledge hammer kind of opening beats, clarinet blaring out raw tribal folk music , unrefined female chorus and SPB , young Raja and unkempt haired Rajini with a ”devil may care” attitude in “Raman andaalum” .
Not really my favorite, but when heard sparingly , even “nitham nitham nellu soru” kindles my “pasi”. The normally “oyaara kondai” “teacher amma” VaniJayaram lets her hair a bit loose and spreads the “old world”, forgotten , native delicacies like “pavakkaa koottu” with “paruppu” , “eNNai kathirikkaa” . “keLvaragu koozh” with “pottukadala thengai thogaiyal”, hm….. lucky man, this KaaLi. She is a worldly wise woman who knows the way to her man’s heart . What impressed me the most is the brevity in the suggestive endlines “ soosagamaa sollaporen …” , not forgetting the scene is a “first nite” and no over the top ”mukkal/munagal” kind here. Classic case of “ilai maRai kaai” [/tscii:0f1f4e654e]

A.ANAND
20th May 2009, 04:26 PM
sanga tamil kaviye-manathil uruthi vendum

oh vennilave vaa odiva-anatha kummi

unakenathane innirama naanum kathirunthen -ponnu orukku puthusu

ithazhil kathai yeluthum neramithu-unnal mudiyum thambi

ajithfederer
21st May 2009, 02:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_BGXZ0UV2o

Kokkarakko kozhi from Kalaignan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW1xGrtY2WQ&feature=related

jaiganes
21st May 2009, 04:47 AM
vaanengum thanga vinmeengal - moondraam pirai.
This along with Santhoshakke in Geetha belong to a unique list of rock songs composed by Raaja.

ajithfederer
22nd May 2009, 06:32 AM
Mr Bharath "Enthan uyirin nizhale" Tamilsong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VseBqtKfnE

thumburu
22nd May 2009, 05:01 PM
"ilanjolai poothadha" - film? who cares?
Scintillating semi classical in Dharmavathy , in romance dripping voice of spb. veenai,flute, violins, mridhangam,tabla all there, so what? But what they play is something astounding.
When spb sings "solai engum sugandham......
nenjil yeno vasantham" , I can visualize the raga devadhai dancing

Sureshs65
22nd May 2009, 06:24 PM
thumburu,

What a song!!! You are right. Who cares which was the movie? I heard this initially in an album titled 'Raagas of Raja'. This album has some very nice songs and as usual there were no credits given!! This album also had 'Isai Paadu Nee', another lovely song. Which movie? I don't know and as you, does it matter?

Plum
22nd May 2009, 09:15 PM
Ilanjolai Poothadha - Unakkagave Vaazhgiraen. Another movie in which the hero commits suicide when faced with the prospect of marrying Nadia :-). Suresh was quite a houdini, escaping the fate of marrying Nadia quite a few times in his career, sometimes taking her along with him to heaven/hell, as in Pookalai Parikkadheergal. In the end, Sridhar nailed him to that fate in a movie whose name escapes me now. It had chikkendra aadaiyil and Oh poomaalai. Even here, suresh tries his best to avoid the fate but is eventually nailed in the climax.
Coming back to UV, quiet a middling feast of an album with Kanna Unai thedugiraen, Oh Endhan Vaazhvil oru Ponvizha.

Plum
22nd May 2009, 09:16 PM
"When spb sings "solai engum sugandham......
nenjil yeno vasantham" , I can visualize the raga devadhai dancing"

Sorry, thats not Raga Devadhai but Sankarabharanam Rajalakshmi who dances for that. I tell you, quite a ghastly sight.

ananth222
22nd May 2009, 09:51 PM
"When spb sings "solai engum sugandham......
nenjil yeno vasantham" , I can visualize the raga devadhai dancing"

Sorry, thats not Raga Devadhai but Sankarabharanam Rajalakshmi who dances for that. I tell you, quite a ghastly sight.
lol! Its actually Nadiya... the video is not so bad, compared to the trash IR has had to deal with for some of his other gems...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4JkmuRr3v4
another great song from the same movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqxJvf6EcRY
There was a time when he provided such diversity in the same album...

Sureshs65
22nd May 2009, 09:56 PM
Plum,

ROTFL :)

You killed a great song just by making us recall Rajalakshmi!! How many such beauties have destroyed some great songs. I consider myself lucky for not having watched many of these songs. That 'Pani Vizhum Malar Vanam' is still loved inspite of the heroine is enough to prove the greatness of Illayaraja!!

Sureshs65
22nd May 2009, 10:41 PM
.. And Plum, this brings us to the future horror that awaits us in the form of 'Jaganmohini' Namita!!!

Plum
23rd May 2009, 08:16 PM
Ananth, you are right. Its nadiya.memory playing tricks. But ghastly still remains the description
Suresh, that's a massive grim prospect, literally

Sureshs65
24th May 2009, 12:59 AM
Plum,

If we as viewers find this a massive burden, imagine the fate of the hero!!!

crajkumar_be
25th May 2009, 01:57 PM
"Kooda Varuviya" - Valimiki

Plum
25th May 2009, 05:22 PM
"Mazhai Varuvadhu Mayilukku Theriym" - Rishi Moolam.
...I know, I know. If we had reservations about Nadiya dancing to the middling Ilanjolai, we should be ordering supari when a KR Vijaya enacts the feelings of a mother, separated from her husband and son due to her 'arrogance' and 'independence', which are not in line with the culture of tamils, reuniting with her son after a long interval. This song is at that point where she gets to know of the impending return of her son, and intended to capture the emptions of a mother at that point. And what a melange IR creates there. Here's a wife who has forgiven her husband for whatever differences they had, and is glossing over that part of their life as a 'mistake', and emotions rushing and gushing from her heart as she thinks of her son.

The tune just flows in a steady rise of emotions, with every turn of the tune capturing that rushing feeling.
"Mazhai Varuvadhu Mayilukky theriyum.." - the slow excited start, then rushing into "Ini varum iravugal...magane kadhiravanam", then the jalatharangam hearlding the stanzas and the steady rise in the speed of the tune until the "lalala" from Janaki to end the stanzas. Magical, pure magical. A rare mother sentiment song from the mother's POV, and focussing on her specific with her son rather than generic paens to motherhood. An unique opportunity in the cliche ridden tamil film world -and Raja makes sure he doesnt waste the opportunity.
(Rishimoolathukku ivlo write-up-a-nu ketka koodadhu. And ofcourse, the execution of this with KR Vijaya on screen was far from satisfying but even with all the broader strokes in execution, one can see the intention behind the creation, or atleast I can, and that certainly elevates the song for me.)

app_engine
25th May 2009, 06:40 PM
vAlmiki songs :-)

Heard only a couple of times - that too while washing the dishes. Still both 'kooda varuviyA' and 'oLi tharum' are already haunting!

Return of the master in movie field, with full fury!

tvsankar
25th May 2009, 08:24 PM
vAlmiki songs :-)

Heard only a couple of times - that too while washing the dishes. Still both 'kooda varuviyA' and 'oLi tharum' are already haunting!

Return of the master in movie field, with full fury!

very true app.

ennoda pick - rekkai katti parukudhu

enna oru kuthu song - so sweeeeeeeeeeeet...

crajkumar_be
25th May 2009, 08:25 PM
"Oli Tharum Sooriyan"
"Kooda Varuviya"
"Rekka Katti Parukkudhu"

In loop all day long. Absolute delight.

A.ANAND
25th May 2009, 09:29 PM
rekka katti parakuthu - semma kuttho kuttu!

Sureshs65
25th May 2009, 09:42 PM
Nice description of 'Mazhai Varudhu' song Plum but I am afraid to see it given that it has K R Vijaya. I remember another fav number of mine 'Solla Solla Inikudada'. This has a green huge Savitri in it and it took me a few days to recover from the shock!!

Sureshs65
25th May 2009, 09:43 PM
Me too as far as Valmiki songs are concerned. All songs in loop and added to it songs from 'Nannavanu' and 'Azhagar Malai' as well. 'Unnai Ennaku' is a lovely song and it remains in my playlist even after Valmiki.

K
25th May 2009, 11:22 PM
try to listen Oh Mane Mane(Rishi-Yuvan) and Koodavaruviya(Raja- Vaalmiki) songs back to back and write what you feel.

Plum
26th May 2009, 10:56 AM
"This has a green huge Savitri in it"
LOL! I havent seeen it but the description you have given evokes the picture in me alright. I bet I can imagine how horrifying that would have been.

Plum
26th May 2009, 10:59 AM
I am on a trip to rediscover the late 70's and early 80's Raja, Suresh, and that's where I stumbled on Mazhai Varuvadhu. Rishimoolam was always about Neramidhu and Aimbadhilum in my memories, and while the two are quite cute, even given TMS and Sivaji-KRV's excesses, this is the song of the album for the unique vantage point of the situation, and it gave me the opportunity to see Rishimoolam shorn of its excessive performance quirks. The underlying simple story, and the potential it had. Perhaps Sivaji Ganesan wasnt as naive as he is portrayed to be in his choice of scripts - this script had potential. Maybe, if it had been in Malayalam, we would have had a classic. The curse of being Sivaji Ganesan, and to an extent, the curse of being Ilaiyaraja as well, for this is an unknown song, a forgotten milestone in the momentous career of Raja.

Plum
26th May 2009, 11:00 AM
I've to say the 70's Raja has arrested me, and I am unable to shake it off and sample the Valmikis and Bhagya Devatas. I dont want to come out of the 70's Raja for now.

thumburu
26th May 2009, 01:27 PM
"mazhai varuvadhu" is a shanmugapriya rajdhani express by Raja.
plum and suresh, u guys seem to talk as iF u hail from a continent of "olli kuchhi"s ,emaciated /pencil thin size zeroes. I have always loved KRV's "lakshanamana ,lakshmi karamana mugam " despite her big frame and I have no qualms about voluptuous women running or dancing as long as they are decently clad aka KRV or Savithri.[Mind u, no "vakkaalathu" for "Namitha" types ]

Plum
26th May 2009, 01:52 PM
"Shanmugapriya Rajdhani Express" - nice coinage, captures it well. I'd probably say Shatabdi instead of Rajdhani.

As for KRV/Savithri, atleast with KRV, the issue I have is her expressions/'acting' rather than girth.

I am not getting into 'decent' and 'indecent'. Let's just say that since you are from Venus, and I am from Mars, my perspective would be the opposite of yours :-)

rajasaranam
26th May 2009, 02:09 PM
try to listen Oh Mane Mane(Rishi-Yuvan) and Koodavaruviya(Raja- Vaalmiki) songs back to back and write what you feel.

Enna Solla Vareenga :confused2:

BTW I had been listening to 'Rekkai Katti Parakuthu' for the past 2 days and had feel I had listened to the tune/Orchestration pattern already and it was eluding me. Just a while ago a thought flashed about some Islamic Motif whenever the singers finish 'Rekka kaati parakuthu namma pettai sittu' - There is a instrument (Trumpet?) which blows briefly... and suddenly an earlier song flashed in me 'Nagooru pakkathila Nammaloda pettai' from Vellai Roja. :)

Plum
26th May 2009, 04:22 PM
RS, that trumpet and islamic motif is also found in Athi Mara Poovidhu from Saadhanai. I dont know if the picturisation had a connection. But I'd say qawwali motif rather than islamic motif

tvsankar
26th May 2009, 04:38 PM
Dear thumburu,

thanks for the support.

hehhehehe.

Ennoda caller tune - mazhai varuvadhu mayiliku theiryum song dhan..

For my only one son - ennai vittu vittu
hostel vaasam seiyum en son - leave il varum varavirkaga........

IR's song - personal experince - Has a Great Value Friends......

K.R.Vijaya - indha age il - magan pasam
anubavikum ovovoru ammavum feel seiya mudiyum...

sila samayam - sila vishyangal - cinema vil

POI illai. Unmaiyae adhigam.......

Plum
26th May 2009, 05:49 PM
Usha Sankar, I am not surprised Mazhai Varuvadhu has emotional appeal to you. While every MD can claim that his song suits a particular situation in a fan's life, the amount of eerie degree of connection that Raja has is phenomenal. As I said, mazhai varuvadhu captures an intense personal moment. It is not just about "Amma paasam". It is difficult to explain but Raja captures certain nuances in relationships and situations, and the state of mind at certain moments in your life so eerily that you can only imagine that it was pre-ordained. While for me, it is a matter of conjecture that Mazhai Varuvadhu captures that moment of expectation in a mother's mind, for Usha Sankar, it is an experience. Since I posted my *conjecture* before Usha posted her *experience*, it just goes to show how Raja can capture the exact dynamics of a situation/the-state-of-mind-of-a-character and convey it to the discerning viewer/listener.

Sureshs65
26th May 2009, 05:58 PM
thumburu,

No offence meant and no I am not size zero :) As with Plum, I too have my own reservation on KR Vijaya's acting (?). As for Savitri, well I love her more than any other South Indian heroine. Inspite of it, it is difficult to accept what I see in 'Solla Solla Inikudada'.

Plum
27th May 2009, 12:51 PM
"Jenmangal Varam Tharum" from Kaaveri(Malayalam).
Apparently, joint effort with Dhakshninamoorthy, one of his Gurus. A very serene tune, with an astute choice of BMK to sing, his voice navigating the turns in the tune very elegantly. Not sure what is IR's contribution here - the tune sounds quite un-Rajaish - might have been tune is DM's and orchestration Raja's.

tvsankar
27th May 2009, 05:45 PM
plum,
thanks for your response.

jenmangal varam - link pl...

Sureshs65
27th May 2009, 06:30 PM
Usha,

You can download Kaveri songs from RS's folder:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=92d0c5a58eae7e5d95af63b7d44918aa8863110a b8ec5db0

app_engine
27th May 2009, 08:22 PM
கருகமணி, கருகமணி - ரிப்பீட்டு...

Sureshs65
28th May 2009, 12:59 AM
Unnai Ennakku - Repeatu

jaiganes
28th May 2009, 02:19 AM
kaetkavillaya - madhu.

Unnai thaedi thaedi - from Konji pesalaam.

Sureshs65
28th May 2009, 04:52 PM
'Malli Malli idi raani roju'. Check it out here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9RVJ6ksc4Y When she sings the pallavi towards the end, Janaki laughs a bit. Superb stuff from the versatile singer.

Chiranjeevi got some excellent music from Raja in his initial days. Those movies laid the foundation for him to become the MegaStar. 'Abhilasha', 'Challenge', 'Rakshasudu', 'Maranamridangam' etc. I think their last movie together was 'Jagadekha Veerudu Atiloka Sundari', which had some lovely numbers as well.

tvsankar
28th May 2009, 05:40 PM
suresh,
urakali godavari - Which movie??/

nice tune...

svbp007
28th May 2009, 06:03 PM
suresh,
urakali godavari - Which movie??/

nice tune...

Urakalai Godavari is from movie Abhilasha. The other famous song in this movie is Banthi Chaamanthi (all songs were good in those days !)

Sureshs65
28th May 2009, 06:09 PM
Usha,

'Urakalai Godavari' is indeed a lovely song. As svbp says, songs of Abhilasha and Challenge are excellent.

thumburu
28th May 2009, 06:12 PM
"unnai thedi thedi" is a soulful melody. sigh!!! It had all the potential to become another "kangaL enge"[ old movie "Karnan"]. 1. IR could have selected Chitra/Sujatha to sing this free flowing tune
2. Instead of those very brief synth ludes ,IR could have given his usual mesmerising long winding interludes with strings, guitar, piano etal.

My last IR song opens with PSusheela's "jaladhosham" ridden , but nevertheless honey sweet
"la la la lalalala
la la la........... [ the magical guitar begins here and lasts till the end]
la la la..........tharatha tha ...
pada vandhadhor ganam" . Notice the bond theme like piano when she sings "kaLoorum....." in the pallavi.First interlude is a fierce competition between guitar and strings and second interlude has lovely piano sound. I wonder what is that
" tang" sound at the end of every rythm !!! quite unique only to Raja

tvsankar
28th May 2009, 06:36 PM
thumburu,
unnai thedi thedi - recent a than
therinjinden.

kaeka kaeka nalla iruku........

tvsankar
28th May 2009, 06:38 PM
suresh and svbp,

thanks for the response.
give me youtube link pl......

wat are the other songs in these movies??

tvsankar
28th May 2009, 06:41 PM
sayankalam -

32nd song of the given list.

i like it very much.....

http://www.chimatamusic.com/ilayaRaja.php

indha paatu romba pidichadhu enaku...

tvsankar
28th May 2009, 06:47 PM
suresh,
Thanks for Kaveri. convey my thanks to RS ..

tvsankar
28th May 2009, 07:41 PM
suresh,
kaveri - 3 songs dhan iruku,

jenmangal varam - kanomae???

Sureshs65
28th May 2009, 08:08 PM
Usha,

Urakalai Godavari : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dRYkZw4mOg

Banti Chamanti : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIQVQNBbF1s

Sandhya Podula Kada : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-eUsmcjxKY

Vela Pala Ledu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7LB1YU5w8

All the above from Abhilasha

Indivadana : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKAqU0tFLuM

Sayankalam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CdJ4VabtfM

Both the above from Challenge. Ensoy.

Sureshs65
28th May 2009, 08:10 PM
thumburu,

'Padavanthador Gaanam' - Aah. What a song. I guess this comes in the same movie as 'Isai Medayil'. Absolute bliss both of them.

Plum
28th May 2009, 09:08 PM
Usha,

'Urakalai Godavari' is indeed a lovely song. As svbp says, songs of Abhilasha and Challenge are excellent.

Abhilasha is a tad higher than Challenge. Urukulai is a masterpiece. The closure that "Rasamayam jagathi" provides for the pallavi is something else quite. Saaangalam saagara theeram with that saxophone in between is quite funky, too

jaiganes
28th May 2009, 09:10 PM
unnai thaedi thaedi is a song that cannot be sung by modern day sound engineering assisted great singers. Sadhana has sung it effortlessly. the charanams are a nightmare for good singers. I dont know what prompted IR to come up with that kind of tune?

tvsankar
29th May 2009, 12:42 AM
plum,
Ablilasha - urukalai -ja ga thiiiiiiiiiiii

etc iiiiiii kku guitar sound extend agi,
urukalai ku poi join agum parunga....

tats - IR Special.....

tvsankar
29th May 2009, 12:45 AM
suresh,

Thanks a lot for the youtube links...

In Telugu songs - IR composition ai unarnadhu

vanajanai illamal. dance vechu irukanga...

unmaiyil sincere steps ellam...

kaalam kadandhu dhan therigiradhu..........

ellam fate suresh.....

tvsankar
29th May 2009, 12:51 AM
jaiganes,

unnai thedi thedi -

indha paatu enru ilai.. 90s composiition
ellamae so simple but sweet .....

2000 songs - ipadi ninaika innum 10 years poganam jaiganes......

Plum
29th May 2009, 12:27 PM
"etc iiiiiii kku guitar sound extend agi,
urukalai ku poi join agum parunga....
"
Adhe adhe. Fully agree and can feel what you are saying there

tvsankar
29th May 2009, 01:29 PM
plum,
feel panna mudinjadha...

thanks. naan kaethadhai enaku
solla theriyaradhu.....
hahahaha

ajithfederer
29th May 2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rumFpLTIn0E&feature=PlayList&p=2E13C5123F9E2308&index=7&playnext=6&playnext_from=PL

Sureshs65
29th May 2009, 11:02 PM
An interesting song. One of the few times that Lata sang in Telugu. So don't mind her diction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_3jRbQdcaQ&feature=related

Another typical Illayaraja song of the 80s from the same movie. Lovely Sax and Violins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLQWe6Ei0CI

app_engine
29th May 2009, 11:12 PM
கருகமணி :-)

'இனிமேல் டூயட் மட்டுமே பாடுங்க'ன்னு ராசாவுக்கு யாராச்சும் ரூல் போடுங்கய்யா :-)

"காயெடுத்தேன் கொழம்பு வைக்க, ரசத்துல போட்டுப்புட்டேன்" :-)

Sureshs65
30th May 2009, 12:27 AM
app_eng,

I would have supported you had it not been for 'Ennada Pandi' and 'Adichivacha' from Valmiki :)

Sanjeevi
31st May 2009, 11:42 AM
Ilaiyaraja's amazing song Mella Mella from Vazhkai (1984) (good video quality) - I love the picturisation also which is good at that time .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6robs2bJrn8

The same tune as BGM of Maniratnam's 1st film "Pallavi Anu Pallavi" (1983)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVPnDJKt1M0&feature=PlayList&p=EAE32E6A2A30E2B3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=76

In Yuvan's Sarvam (2009) as BGM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XI3lbBwyg8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZYF3kLXu2w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=sarvam+mella+mella&aq=f

Interesting trivia from inetk Karthik's site

http://www.itwofs.com/coincidence.html

tvsankar
31st May 2009, 10:34 PM
suresh,
thanks for - Anna Deeni soku.

Sureshs65
1st June 2009, 12:27 PM
Listening to 'Dhaagam Edukira Neram' from Enakaga Kathiru. dochu had given the download link in another thread. Never heard this before. Am fascinated with this lovely song. In a loop as of now.

tvsankar
1st June 2009, 12:53 PM
suresh,
ipo dhan kaekaraiya indha song ai..

ada da......

Enakaga kaathiru - All songs are
fantastic suresh.

Excellent album came from early 80s.

Dhaagam edukara neram -

Uma RAmanan is special for this song.

SAmatha , bayathoda , padara style - enaku romba piidkum.

my pick is - pani mazhai vizhum

wat a prelude...........
pl listen suresh.

mohanam i think.

pani mazhai

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00143.html

Sureshs65
1st June 2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks Usha for 'Panimazhai Vizhum'. Luckily that is one song that I have heard thanks to an article in dhool.com Excellent song which I hear very often along with some other songs from movies which were either not released or did not receive enough attention. dhool had a series on this. I think it was called 'malrdhum malaradhavai'.

tvsankar
1st June 2009, 05:02 PM
suresh,
yes. adhae dhan . Malanrdhum malaradhavai by Saravanan...

Indha paatai angae naan gavanikalai suresh...

Saravanan writings kaga parkanam suresh...

thumburu
1st June 2009, 05:58 PM
"dhaagam edukkira neram" is my pick too from "enakkaaga kaathiru" , followed by "Oh nenjame" . "Dhaagam edukkira" is an intriguing number in madhyamavathi and Uma Ramanan's secretive voice adds to the mystery.

app_engine
2nd June 2009, 03:39 AM
"கிழக்கு வெளுக்குது, மலர்கள் சிரிக்குது, கிளியே நமக்காக"

Raja back in terrific form in this song (azhagar malai). With racy rhythm arrangements for the pallavi, this reminds us of his younger days :-)

Also noticed that in a number of songs he differs the pace of rhythm between pallavi & saraNams. While in the two duets of UO - kAlaththai vendRa & kallAi irundhEn - it was slow-in-pallavi-cracking-in-saraNam, in AM duets it's the other way around.

மது பாலகிருஷ்ணன், ஐயோ பாவம் :-(

He sings with absolutely no mischief / feeling or anything those wild lines with exclaim - 'உன்னைத்தொட உன்னைத்தொட இப்போது, பத்து விரல் எனக்குப்போதாது...ஆஹ்ஹா'.

SPB / MV are missed badly :-(

Plum
2nd June 2009, 10:58 AM
Sweety Nanna Jodi from Maathu Thappadha Maga(Kannada). Kannada girls I knew used to look at me like a worm when I listened to this song. Apparently, thats got something to do with the cheesy lyrics and the picturisation. Never got round to seeing it so I only retain a favourable impression of a lovely chorus, SPB-Janaki standard konashtaigal, and the 'words fail me' orchestration. Especially the last twist in the charanams with Janaki's voice stretched to its limits is fanciful
Nothing earth shattering but a sweet song anytime.

Sureshs65
2nd June 2009, 11:00 AM
app,

Agree with you both on your take of the song and Madhu B's singing. I wish it was someone else. Since SPB / MV aren't in favor, maybe someone like Shankar Mahadevan would have been great. As you say, I love the song but see absolutely no mischief in the song while the lyrics are brimming with it!!

Sureshs65
2nd June 2009, 11:08 AM
Plum,

I think 'Sweety Nanna Jodi' is from Barjari Bete. It appears along with the songs of a CD / Tape which has Barjari Bete / Maata Thappadha Maga / Pallavi Anupallavi. An excellent song. Another song from Barjari Bete which is nice is 'Yaarigaagi Mata'. I very recently heard the Tamil version of the 'Yaari gagi' song. Not sure which version came first.

Plum
2nd June 2009, 02:27 PM
Suresh, you are right. It is Barjari Bete. Memory failing badly these days. old age arriving :-(
Barjari bete also has the entha soundarya nodu right? Or was that MTM? I love the 70's Kannada Raja - sheer spontaneous magic.

Sureshs65
2nd June 2009, 04:51 PM
Plum,

'Entha Soundarya Nodu' is MTM. Lovely tune and well rendered by SPB. MTM also had the Kannada version of 'Etho Ninaivugal'. The song I like the most from that movie is the P.Susheela song. You rightly said it. Magic.

thumburu
2nd June 2009, 06:01 PM
[tscii:f361213da9]plum/suresh, does that 70's kannada song have the tamil equivalent? I have a weakness for 70's as I consider it as the best era musically all over the world.
My last Raja song is also from the swinging 70's :)
“ManjaL nilavukku indru ore sugam” in crystal clear, bright vocals of Jeyschandran and P.Susheela in Raja’s favorite MMG scale. The lines
“idhu mudhal uravu
idhu mudhal kanavu” don’t fail to send a chill of excitement down my spine even now. This song was quite popular during the “radio only days” and the song , opening with the train whistle and the “chick chick” rhythm might have evoked the curiosity of the listeners then, to watch the scene. Hm.. blessed they are to have escaped the “youtube” era of visual horror. Enough said about the rajaish flute, violins , jaladharangam , guitar interplay . I read in this forum, late director Sridhar was mighty impressed with this song and was determined to use the young, unassuming lad for his forthcoming movie “iLamai Oonjalaadugiradhu” despite incurring the wrath of MSV with whom he had a successful combo and the rest is history.
[/tscii:f361213da9]

Plum
2nd June 2009, 06:52 PM
P.Susheela song is Marayada Harushada...yup, that is so Salil Chaudharyish.

Plum
2nd June 2009, 06:54 PM
Thumburu, of those songs that we discussed, only Bhanoo Bhoomiya(Edho Ninaivugal) has a tamil equivalent. The orchestration is different in the Kannada version, and IMo, it has a more earthy feel to it. I think Raja is somewhat less commercial or generic outside Tamil film industry - or maybe, he had a better rapport with the Nag brothers.

Sureshs65
2nd June 2009, 07:39 PM
Digression:

thumburu, if I were to leave Raja's 80s aside, I would say late 60s was probably the best period across India, film music wise.

End Digression.

app_engine
2nd June 2009, 09:17 PM
From another thread in TF section :

isaiyil thodangudhammA - Should be one of greatest songs of all time

Plum wrote:
PR, konjam veLakkama solradhu...

Memories, feeling spurring ellAm sariyA ezudha mudiyAdhu
A typical "எழுத்தெல்லாம் வெளியில இருக்கு" situation.
Will attempt to..

திரைப்பாடல் என்பது அதன் களம், வரிகள் ஆகியவற்றோடு சேர்த்து ரசிக்கப்படும் ஒன்று. அப்படித்தான் ரசிக்கப்படவேண்டும் என்றும், 'இயைபு' தான் அதன் முதல் குறிக்கோள் என்றும் சொல்வதை எல்லாம் என்னால் ஏற்றுக்கொள்ள முடியாவிட்டாலும், இயைபு அமையும் பொழுது பிரித்தரிய திணறுபவன் நான்.திணறல் ஏற்படுத்தும் பாடல்கள் அரிது.

அப்படி ஒரு பாடல் இது. இந்தப்பாடல், படத்தில் ஒரு முக்கியமான இடத்தில் வருகிறது.திரைப்படத்தின் மையக்கருக்களில் ஒன்றான மத-உணர்வுக்கும், ஆண்மையை-ஊர்ஜிதப்படுத்துதல் என்ற ஆதிமனித உந்துதலுக்கும், உள்ள தொடர்பை வெளிக்கொணரும் இடம். இதை வசனமாகப் பேசியிருந்தால் (பேசிப்பேசி மாயும் அன்பே சிவம் போல) மிகச் சாதாரணமாக அமைந்திருக்கும். நமது திரைப்பட முறையின் சிறப்பம்சமான பாடலின் மூலமாக சொல்லத்துணிந்தது ஒரு master-stroke.

பாடல் என்பது யதார்த்த மனநிலையிலிருந்து ஒரு விலகல். உண்மைக்குப் புரம்பான சித்தரிப்பு என்ற அர்த்தத்தில் சொல்லவில்லை. பேச்சில் சொல்லத்தயங்கும் உணர்ச்சி அதீதங்கள் எழுத்தில் வருவதன் அடுத்த படி அது. உரைநடையில் சமநிலையில் சொல்ல முடியாத (சரியாக உள்வாங்கப்படக்கூடிய சாத்தியங்கள் குறைவு என்பதால்) விஷயம் கவிதை/பாடல் என்ற வடிவில் தயக்கமின்றி இயங்குகிறது. அதை மிகச்சரியாக உபயோகப்படுத்திக் கொண்டதற்கு எடுத்துக்காட்டு இப்பாடல்.

இப்பாடலின் காட்சியமைப்புக்குள் இறங்கவேண்டாம். தமிழ் சினிமாவின் ஆகச்சிறந்த காட்சியமைப்பு கொண்டது என்றாலும் பாடலின் தரத்தை விட கொஞ்சம் (கொஞ்சமே கொஞ்சம்) பின் தங்கியிருப்பதாக தோன்றும் அளவுக்குப் பாடல் சிறப்பானது.

தாளவாத்தியங்களின் கிளர்ச்சி பாடல் வளர வளர நம் மீது வளர்கிறது. தலையை மெலிதாக சுற்றுகிறது என்று சொன்னால் கொஞ்சம் மிகையாகத் தோன்றலாம். (ஓம் சிவோஹம் பாடலை இவ்வாறு அனுபவித்தாத பலர் சொன்னது எனக்கு மிகையாகத் தோன்றியது போல !).

அஜொய் சக்ரபொர்த்தி என்ற பெயரை நான் காசெட் அட்டையில் தான் முதலில் பார்த்தேன். 'பானத்தில்ல்ல்ல்ல்ல்' என்ற உச்சரிப்பிலே வங்கவாசம் தெரிந்தது. இந்துஸ்தானி பாணியில் உயிர்களேஏஏஏஏ என்ற ஏகார நீட்டலும் (இதற்கு சரியான சொல என்ன ?) என்பது உச்சம் என்றால் பாடல் நெடுக அத்தகைய விளையாட்டுகளுக்கு இடம் உண்டு. வசந்தம் கண்டதம்மா....... வாடும் வாலிபமே என்ற வரியை இரண்டாம் முறை பாடும் போது ...... இட்ட இடத்தில் வழுக்கிச் செல்லும் குரல். மறுபடி வசந்த கோலங்களைஐஐஐ... நடுவில் ஒரு சாரங்கி (?) எடுத்துக் கொடுக்க அதிலிருந்து தொடரும் பாடகர்.

I can't listen to too much Wagner. I get the urge to invade Poland என்று வுடி அலென் சொன்னதை நகைச்சுவையென்று எண்ணி தவறாக சிரித்துவிட்டோமோ என்று எண்ண வைக்கும் பாட்டு.

சமநிலையில் தான் படைப்பாளியின் புத்திசாலித்தனத்தை சிலாகிக்க முடியும். அவ்வாறு செய்ய இயலாதபடி செய்யும் பாடல் இது. அனுபவத்தை வார்த்தைகளில் அடக்க முயன்று இதுபோல தோற்கும் சாத்தியங்களை மட்டும் விட்டுச்செல்லும் பாடல்.மொத்தமாக பாடலே ஒருவித ரீங்கரிக்கும் தன்மை கொண்டது. வழிநெடுக சுவையின் சுவடுகள் விட்டுச்செல்லும் திரவியம் போல.

Great, PR!

ajithfederer
2nd June 2009, 09:27 PM
Peigala boodhama from Mahanadhi :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olIQvYV3eXg

ajithfederer
2nd June 2009, 09:34 PM
The singing is absolutely fantastic and funny at the same time in Peigale nambadhe.

Sureshs65
2nd June 2009, 10:06 PM
Wow. A lovely post by Prabhu Ram. It is indeed very tough to put into words the emotions that you feel when you listen to a song. He has done a great job.

kiru
3rd June 2009, 01:00 AM
I agree with Prabhu that isaiyil thodangudhamma as one of the greatest songs of all time. Isn't IR the lyricist for this ?

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 01:03 AM
Yes, he is the lyricist

crajkumar_be
3rd June 2009, 06:48 PM
Peigala boodhama from Mahanadhi :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olIQvYV3eXg

The singing is absolutely fantastic and funny at the same time in Peigale nambadhe.

:ty: been a while. Very personal and emotional favorite of mine

Sanjeevi
3rd June 2009, 06:54 PM
"கிழக்கு வெளுக்குது, மலர்கள் சிரிக்குது, கிளியே நமக்காக"

Raja back in terrific form in this song (azhagar malai). With racy rhythm arrangements for the pallavi, this reminds us of his younger days :-)

Also noticed that in a number of songs he differs the pace of rhythm between pallavi & saraNams. While in the two duets of UO - kAlaththai vendRa & kallAi irundhEn - it was slow-in-pallavi-cracking-in-saraNam, in AM duets it's the other way around.

மது பாலகிருஷ்ணன், ஐயோ பாவம் :-(

He sings with absolutely no mischief / feeling or anything those wild lines with exclaim - 'உன்னைத்தொட உன்னைத்தொட இப்போது, பத்து விரல் எனக்குப்போதாது...ஆஹ்ஹா'.

SPB / MV are missed badly :-(

wov my favourite song of AM

I already said this song trys to catch BR-IR standard

tvsankar
3rd June 2009, 07:39 PM
karugu karugu mani
kazhuthula aadudhadi

IR Rendition - nalla iruku. Indha vayasulae

love voice. kalakarar....

IR chorus - always haunting........

Sureshs65
3rd June 2009, 08:18 PM
Listening to 'Koil Mani Kaetene' from 'Kanna Unnai Thedugiren' at Thiraipaadal. A lovely and catchy melody. Very free flowing. Thanks to Usha for pointing out this movie in the 'Song a Day' thread.

tvsankar
4th June 2009, 01:15 AM
suresh,
Koil Mani kaetkane - naan kaetadhu ilai ,
Neenga solli than kaeten/ Thanks SOTD la solliten...

Now my pick is - nannavanu album.

very very very different......

Enidu ENidu -- nice one... madhyamavthi nu
nenaikaren. adhan enaku romba pidichi pochu.

ajithfederer
4th June 2009, 01:52 AM
Katti vechuko - some karthik movie. Adhu seri movie pera mukyam. Song was great.

tvsankar
4th June 2009, 01:53 AM
enakum film per theriylaiyae..

katti vechuko - link pl.

ajithfederer
4th June 2009, 01:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bt-vK6GTv8

Indhaanga !!.

tvsankar
4th June 2009, 01:57 AM
Thank you very much af.

good video and audio quality. thanks.

app_engine
4th June 2009, 03:01 AM
Movie name is there - 'en jeevan pAduthu'.

This has the beautiful 'ore muRai un dharisanam' also.

tvsankar
4th June 2009, 10:12 AM
ore murai - indha padathila...
marandhu pochu.

ore murai un dharisanam - Guitar work.

humble and tooooooooo much friendly.....

singer in mood ai purindhu reflect seiyum
Guitar.....

solla varthai illai.........

thanks app....

Plum
4th June 2009, 11:27 AM
Lata paatti paattu onnu kooda undilla andha padathula?
(Engirundho azhaikkum en jeevan)
Katti Vechuko is very stylish - except that Malaysia Vasudevan reduces that effect.

equanimus
4th June 2009, 12:19 PM
Katti Vechuko is very stylish - except that Malaysia Vasudevan reduces that effect.
nallAth thAnE pAdiyiruppAr? Actually I like Malaysia Vasudevan a lot.

Plum
4th June 2009, 03:37 PM
Ennamo, konjam unsophisticated-a irundha maadhiri oru feeling. I dont dislike MV at all.

thumburu
4th June 2009, 06:08 PM
"en jeecan paadudhu" songs gor submerged in the slew of other high profile releases of Raja like "aGNI NAKSHATHRAM",kAMAL'S "SAThya" , KB's "manadhil urudhi vendum" in the same year. There is another good song by Mano "mouname " which should have gone to SPB . suresh, "kovil mani kettene" is a nice Brindhavanasaranga. I miss swarnalatha's voice in IR songs today :(

Sureshs65
4th June 2009, 07:45 PM
thumburu,

Infact, the other song 'Konjum Kuyil Paatu' from the same movie is also a nice Brindavanasaranga. (Wrongly credited as an Illayaraja solo whereas it is a song with two female voices).

Swarnalatha did sing some very nice numbers for Raja. My fav being the all time classic 'Ennulle Ennulle' from Valli.

ajithfederer
9th June 2009, 12:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpHWzWWdiMY

ajithfederer
9th June 2009, 12:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYzfRIe7wPc&feature=related

Used to listen to this song crazily every day around circa 2000. It is a very good song and still the emotion is the same. With PD around you can be assured you get a catchy picturization.

tvsankar
9th June 2009, 02:16 AM
af,
THanks for the songs.

Nethiki than nenachen - Time film songs pathi......
Nice..... Thank you.

ajithfederer
9th June 2009, 09:06 PM
No problem, pleasure is mine as usual.

jaiganes
9th June 2009, 09:19 PM
Dilwale Raat hai jawaan, from Mahaadev
Maestro's magic.

Sureshs65
9th June 2009, 10:49 PM
This Sunday with nothing to do for a brief while I ended up switching channels. Saw part of the movie 'Lajja'. Could clearly see why it crashed at the box office. What arrested me was the lovely BGM. I have heard about this BGM but listening to it for the first time. No difference between this and any Hollywood BGM. Excellent stuff.

Switched channels to watch 'Swarnakamalam'. A nice gentle movie with glorious music and outstanding lyrics to match. Saw two songs, 'Koluvai Unnade' and 'Gallu Gallu'. What compositions!! Fantastic tunes backed by Sitarama Sastry's superb lyrics. Reminded me of the MSV-TR-Kannadasan time when there was an great mix of music and poetry.

crajkumar_be
10th June 2009, 01:03 AM
"No difference between this and any Hollywood BGM"
- : :roll:

Sureshs65
10th June 2009, 09:10 AM
CR,

Maybe I should have been more explicit. What I intended was that this BGM was equal in class to the best in Hollywood. The whole arrangement was of high class. Hope that clarifies.

baroque
10th June 2009, 11:00 AM
வீணை, வயலின், தபலா, புல்லாங்குழல் :musicsmile:
Very Talented ஸ்ரீ. கமலஹாசன் singing for ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா :clap:

Forever FRESH
பன்னீர் புஷ்பங்களே
கானம் பாடு
உன்னைப்போலே எந்தன் உள்ளம் ஆடுது
புது தாளம் தொட்டு ...ஒ
புது ராகா இட்டு.....

arousing the feeling of awe, calmness and depth...with touch of Raaga MAUND ambience.

ab toh hai tumse.....abhimaan....Jaya badhuri & Amitabh...is also raga maund....what a musical feast from S.D.Burman.
ராமனை பஜித்தால் நோய்வினை தீருமே சஞ்சலம் அகன்றிடுமே....
பாரோ கிருஷ்ணையா....
சௌக்கியமா கண்ணே.....ரஹ்மான்
ஒரு நாள் போதுமா.... Masterpiece in Raga Mand grown into a ragamalika at the tail end.
ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜாவின் ' ராசாவே உன்னை....' - தனிக்காட்டு ராஜா.
(பல்லவி is சிவரஞ்சனி)
சரணம் both
ஆவாரம் பூவு ........ & மாக்கோலம் போட்டு மாவிளக்கேத்தி....
ராகம் மாண்டு கலபடம் touches.

Aval Appadiththaan ......EARLY IR DELIGHT!
Uravugal thodarkadhai... may be some other day.
This evening
பன்னீர் புஷ்பங்களே
கானம் பாடு
உன்னைப்போலே எந்தன் உள்ளம் ஆடுது ... for me. :musicsmile:

Vinatha.

Plum
10th June 2009, 05:54 PM
Suresh, Swarnakamalam has great BGM, too.
I just made a long post now which got lost in server gotchas. Evlo mukkinalum, marubadiyum vara maatengaradhu. Literature's loss :-)

crajkumar_be
10th June 2009, 06:17 PM
CR,

Maybe I should have been more explicit. What I intended was that this BGM was equal in class to the best in Hollywood. The whole arrangement was of high class. Hope that clarifies.
For me, IR is the benchmark for BGM. IR music on par with hollywood-nu yen sollanum nu thonudhu, adhaan :)

app_engine
10th June 2009, 07:36 PM
கை வீசி நடக்குற காற்றே (நந்தலாலா)

Quite an interesting song! The rhythm arrangements are especially interesting as they appear asynchronous but falls in place appropriately (typical IR stuff this). Brilliant harmony stuff in the portion starting ஒரு குடம் ஒரு குடம் நீரூற்றி.

Lovely use of flute that accompanies the voice in this song as well as the KJY number 'onnukkoNNu thuNai irukkum'. Perhaps IR felt he should give flute some prominence in the songs in accord with the movie's title :-)

Sureshs65
10th June 2009, 08:26 PM
CR,

Agree with you about IR's BGMs. No one has probably given as much variety as him in BGMs.

Plum,

Yup. The BGM for Swarnakamala is honey to the ears. I was watching the scenes where there is interaction between Venkatesh and Bhanupriya. The tune that runs in the background is dripping with melody. I actually wanted to write a big post about the music of Swarnakamalam after watching part of this movie. Somehow lack of time prevented me. Literature's gain :)

jaiganes
10th June 2009, 08:50 PM
I was listening to vezhambal from olangal - this song closely resembles 'Metti Metti' from metti - but I would accord it a higher rank - what a rendition and what an imagination for composition - manasai isayaal pizhiyaradhunna adhu idhu dhaan.

Sureshs65
10th June 2009, 09:20 PM
Jai,

All three songs of 'Olangal' are amazing. This song and 'Kuliradunu Manathu' are close to me because they used to be played in our college Gymkhana by the Mallu gang regularly.

crajkumar_be
11th June 2009, 02:36 PM
Ennada Paandi - Fantastically cool :cool2:

thumburu
11th June 2009, 03:27 PM
suresh, very true. "vezhambal thedum" and "kuLiraadunnu maanathil" bring the lush green sorroundings and the always wet grounds of kerala to my mind.

thumburu
11th June 2009, 03:33 PM
[tscii:267c4718b1]The prelude sets the table spread for a quiet, cosy candlelight dinner for the "lovey-dovey" pair . Here enters the female voice with a caressing “pa ba pa ba pa ..” “uravenum pudhiya vanil” like a gentle breeze followed by the lover boy’s [courtesy baroque :) ] “pabapapa..” . Seemingly simple orchestration but with a lot of thought on the arrangement to give the right mood. In the second interlude, there is a lovely solo violin which gradually joins the string ensemble , with piano also pitching in during the climax before SJ starts off with “nenjin uLoora odum” .
Godly work!!![/tscii:267c4718b1]

raagas
11th June 2009, 03:54 PM
The tune that runs in the background is dripping with melody. I actually wanted to write a big post about the music of Swarnakamalam after watching part of this movie.

That tune is my ringtone :)

Sureshs65
11th June 2009, 05:40 PM
thumburu,

Been trying to get the original CD of 'Nenjathai Killadhe' but no luck till now. What an album it is.

raagas,

I envy the people in your house and office, for they get to hear that piece of divine music often :) One of those tunes which you can never get bored of.

tvsankar
11th June 2009, 07:07 PM
karugu mani karugu mani

harmony - to the core - indha paatu..
enna oru soft ...

ludes layae - idhu start agum....

enaku adi enaku
ne irukum dhesa kovil kulam

kathilae kaekum oosai enna solludho
kanmani nadandha kolusu osai kakeum enakku

idhu dhan super - evvalavu neram sustain agum
harmony....

app_engine
11th June 2009, 07:15 PM
Usha chEchi,
Azhagar malai songs are a pleasant surprise in the interlude aspect too. After a long time, IR is back to "longer" interludes. Most of his recent works have that "hurried - very short" interludes. Thankfully, AM is different.

ajithfederer
12th June 2009, 12:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mqkoWnsHuo&feature=related

Devathai pol oru / Gopura vasalile

rajasaranam
12th June 2009, 11:37 AM
karugu mani karugu mani

enna oru soft ...

enaku adi enaku

harmony....

Enakkum ithu romba pudicha idam antha paattu'la :)

kathilae kaekum oosai enna solludhoou
kanmani nadandha kolusu osai kakeum enakku... appuram oru chinna gap...superrrrrrrr

and the rhythm of the song is very captivating that whatever twists and turns the tune takes correctta anganga poi utkaarnthidum..beautiful.

Namma Baradwaj rangan avar blog'la intha patta pathi sollum bodhu said that the tune is good with lacklusture rhythm :x seriyaana gnana sooniyamnnu thaan solla thonuthu. the song/tune sounds good only because of the rhythm IMHO.

I would've said this is the best song of the year easily if not Raaja had been so generous on us :)

tvsankar
12th June 2009, 11:56 AM
[quote="app_engine"]Usha chEchi,
Azhagar malai songs are a pleasant surprise in the interlude aspect too. After a long time, IR is back to "longer" interludes. Most of his recent works have that "hurried - very short" interludes. Thankfully, AM is different.[/

quote]

Yes app. romba varusham kazhichi - konjam lenghthy ludes
with beautiful harmony.........

tvsankar
12th June 2009, 11:58 AM
karugu mani karugu mani

enna oru soft ...

enaku adi enaku

harmony....

Enakkum ithu romba pudicha idam antha paattu'la :)

kathilae kaekum oosai enna solludhoou
kanmani nadandha kolusu osai kakeum enakku... appuram oru chinna gap...superrrrrrrr

and the rhythm of the song is very captivating that whatever twists and turns the tune takes correctta anganga poi utkaarnthidum..beautiful.

Namma Baradwaj rangan avar blog'la intha patta pathi sollum bodhu said that the tune is good with lacklusture rhythm :x seriyaana gnana sooniyamnnu thaan solla thonuthu. the song/tune sounds good only because of the rhythm IMHO.

I would've said this is the best song of the year easily if not Raaja had been so generous on us :)

RS - romba thanks , unga opinion ku.

Unmai Unmai.......... Adhu dhan IR's style and His Beauty.........
"

crajkumar_be
12th June 2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks Usha and RS for the words on "Karugu Mani"
I just love that song :)

P.S: Oru nitpick. I don't think what you are referring to is harmony, actually...

tvsankar
12th June 2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks Usha and RS for the words on "Karugu Mani"
I just love that song :)

P.S: Oru nitpick. I don't think what you are referring to is harmony, actually...

ipadi ellam kelvi kaeka kudadhu........

IR song - Harmony - Idhan enaku solla theiryum.
Detail theiryadhu.. hahahhaha. :x :roll:

swathy
12th June 2009, 03:29 PM
Isai medayil indha velaiyil suga raagam pozhiyum

tvsankar
12th June 2009, 03:46 PM
kozhandha manam irundha
inhda ulagam romba azhaga agum
mananu izhandhu vizhundha
adhu kadhal enum kadal agum

gopuram melae yeri paatu padavaa
madathil kolam poda nanum kuda varata

paatoda lyric - Character ai sollum. Tats Our IR.

tvsankar
12th June 2009, 03:47 PM
swathy,
unga alltime favourite song idhu dhanae...

THanks for the nice gem. how r u.....

Plum
12th June 2009, 08:16 PM
Sumam Prathi Sumam manasulerundhu pogave maatengaradhu. That too, I am playing it only in my mind - physical media-la illai...

jaiganes
12th June 2009, 08:25 PM
Enna senjaalum -
Raasaiyya pichiputtar.

particularly

'uLLa kudhirai idhu oorengum suththudhadi
mannu kudhirayle andha mannavan eruvaana
chinnavan eruvaana'

great spiritual thought expressed in the most simple terms with Raaja's music encasing it and presenting it in respectful manner!!