Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Katrina disaster

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Senior Hubber nirosha sen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious abt something????? I haven't seen a single Indian face througout CNN's coverage of the disaster????? Don't Indian NRIs live out there????
    Demand a broader view - BBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Nirosha sen wrote:
    I haven't seen a single Indian face througout CNN's coverage of the disaster????? Don't Indian NRIs live out there????
    I am sure that there are lot of NRIs. About half the motels in the south are owned by people of Indian origin, I heard. There are also many students. I think that most of the people we saw are poor and helpless. It seems that one in six does not have a car. I saw in Telugu site an announcement of a Telugu movie on that Sunday in that area. Here is an URL to a moving account by a doctor of Indian origin, Hemant Vankawala, who participated in the rescue efforts:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4836926

Post Thanks / Like
    oopss...did i get the last fact wrong??? Or am I just being proud of being
    an INDIAN?
    It is sad to note that the sufferings of one is used evaluate the greatness of the other.
    An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

~Gandhi~

Senior Member Regular Hubber dr#'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the one good thing to have come out of this is that the us media has started to come out of its shell, and ask searching questions of the government. this i suppose has got george bush off his ass, accepting responsibility for the mess up, and actually doing something for the affected population.

if not of the people and by the people, maybe this govt can be for the people and not for the corporations for a change!
    if you are reading this, you have far too much time on your hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    the one good thing to have come out of this is that the us media has started to come out of its shell, and ask searching questions of the government. this i suppose has got george bush off his ass, accepting responsibility for the mess up, and actually doing something for the affected population.

if not of the people and by the people, maybe this govt can be for the people and not for the corporations for a change!

Post Thanks / Like
    dr# wrote:
    http://www.tomdispatch.com/index.mhtml?pid=21843
    "In fact, with Congress already making a $62 billion initial down payment on post-Katrina reconstruction work, the Bush administration has just given out its first 6 reconstruction contracts, five of them -- could anyone be surprised -- to Iraqi reconstructors, including Fluor. Small world indeed. The Bush version of crony capitalism should perhaps be termed predatory capitalism, following as it does so closely in the wake of war and natural disaster much as camp followers used to trail armies, ready, in case of victory, to loot the baggage train of the enemy."
    Swarup

Post Thanks / Like
    shameless

you forgot to mention halliburton......i'm sure they'll make a killing out of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am beginning to feel that Sri Badri was right and I was hasty. Poor countries go to help and it seems to be business as usual in the US.
    Swarup

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am wondering Y the highway that goes towards Houston is not open for outbound traffic even after so many ppl r struck in the traffic for hours... The inbound traffic is very very minimal...There is no point in keeping it exclusively for inbound traffic even in case of such an emergency...
    “The real contest is always between what you've done and what you're capable of doing. You measure yourself against yourself and nobody else.” - Geoffrey Gaberino

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast