Page 55 of 127 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast

Thread: ~~ Gadgets - Performance, Looks, Apps, Hottest Models ~~

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sathya_1979 View Post
    Thanks TV, just checked the price, MBA with 256 GB SSD comes to $1500. MBP with 500 GB SATA comes to 1700. I can get a Seagate Goflex 1.5 TB Drive (Portable) which works with both PC and MAC without reformatting. Add in another 150 bucks for Parallels or VMWare Virtual Machine and Windows 7.
    $2000 - Windows and Mac laptop with lots of space. Sounds good
    One pointer Sathya anne.. Seagate has reduced its Warranty period to 2 years. It is sensible to go with Western Digital. 3 years warranty as usual! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
    I still haven't gotten over the feeling that Tablet is a gadget no one would ever need, particularly with all that can be done on smartphones today. But having said that, things could change if some dedicated touch optimized software come out for the tablets, which can contribute to productivity.
    Exactly my ideas. Maybe with Win8, tablets could be productive. And, SG Note does look like an intermediate solution.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Veteran Hubber sathya_1979's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input Venki and TV. Goflex is the seagate model which can work with PC and Mac without re-formatting - This is their claim. I am looking at reviews and gathering info. My decision making process is a slow but thorough one. ivLO kaasu kuduththu vaanguradhu, konjam yOsichudhaan seiyyaNum!
    Damager - 30 roovaa da, 30 roovaa kuduththa 3 naaL kaNNu muzhichchu vElai senju 30 pakkam OttuvaNdaa!

Senior Member Devoted Hubber Benny Lava's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input Venki and TV. Goflex is the seagate model which can work with PC and Mac without re-formatting - This is their claim. I am looking at reviews and gathering info. My decision making process is a slow but thorough one. ivLO kaasu kuduththu vaanguradhu, konjam yOsichudhaan seiyyaNum!
    So often the discovery is a pleasant experience in itself, so keep looking

Quote Originally Posted by VENKIRAJA View Post
    Exactly my ideas. Maybe with Win8, tablets could be productive. And, SG Note does look like an intermediate solution.
    Especially the Office suite, if we can get a version optimized for small to medium screen and touch input, it would be great. Right now, the only best thing to do on a Tablet is to read news and books, where it really provides the advantage of portability, touch interface and a wider reading screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have office suites like document to go, quick office pro etc for android tablets which allow you to view and edit word files, spreadsheets and presentations, but with limited functions for on-the-fly working. Not so expensive as well.
    Last edited by sathya_1979; 18th November 2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Damager - 30 roovaa da, 30 roovaa kuduththa 3 naaL kaNNu muzhichchu vElai senju 30 pakkam OttuvaNdaa!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sathya, I had a look for the NTFS read-write support. Looks like it uses some drivers to write-access NTFS partitions.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/cr...ang=en&Hilite=

I guess it is NTFS-3G + MacFUSE solution. The problem is MacFUSE is compiled for 32-bit OS, whereas OSX Lion is a 64-bit Kernel. I am not quite sure until testing it myself, but there is a chance it might work.

I also want to get this working for my external drive, I will let you know if it succeeds!
    Last edited by Benny Lava; 18th November 2011 at 09:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure TV, keep me posted on the test results. Thanks!

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly my ideas. Maybe with Win8, tablets could be productive.
    There is no such magic! They are gonna be mostly the same tablets! enna, windows is ALWAYS a resource eating thing, so its the only tablet to debut with quad-code CPUs! So surely you can expect the functionality of dual-core, becos in windows world, 4 means 2!

Btw, there are no great apps for windows fone, and competition vachi koovitrukkaanga! good chance to grab a free fone - http://www.microsoft.com/india/student/windowsphone/
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Senior Member Veteran Hubber VENKIRAJA's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar View Post
    There is no such magic! They are gonna be mostly the same tablets! enna, windows is ALWAYS a resource eating thing, so its the only tablet to debut with quad-code CPUs! So surely you can expect the functionality of dual-core, becos in windows world, 4 means 2!

Btw, there are no great apps for windows fone, and competition vachi koovitrukkaanga! good chance to grab a free fone - http://www.microsoft.com/india/student/windowsphone/
    I know its not gonnabe what we dream for or long for, but I hope MS nails it this time. I loved their Win8 Pre-beta. Their promise is the same OS for tablets. If it works out and if all .exe or .msi files work for tablets, and prove to be a good device offline, that is it.

Senior Member Diamond Hubber sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Venki, Wndows phone and Tablets have a new Windows version which is ported to ARM CPU. This version of windows is not the same as the PC one. So the exe msi files wont run, as of now.

More about this here - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/mic...05?tag=nl.e539

In future, there may be chance both tablet and PC Os are infused, but is very long, complex process, not to forget, Mircosoft's takku!
    Vishwaroopam is a 220+ Crores Record breaking Blockbuster!
    https://twitter.com/KamalHaasanFans

Uttama Villain Reviews Collection - http://goo.gl/MSBVxv

Post Thanks / Like
    I know its not gonnabe what we dream for or long for, but I hope MS nails it this time. I loved their Win8 Pre-beta. Their promise is the same OS for tablets. If it works out and if all .exe or .msi files work for tablets, and prove to be a good device offline, that is it.
    I am having positive hopes on Windows since Windows 8 and Office 2007, I love both those products!

Even otherwise, I always felt Windows was making some conscious efforts with attempts such as Powershell, Microsoft Solver foundation, etc., which even though catering to niche audiences, they are darn good in their respective domains! It is a given that Microsoft has a bad press due to its monopoly in OS market. But with the evolution of other domains, where MS hasn't exactly captured the top spot, MS is finally reaping the benefits of being the underdogs.