Thread: Chevalier Dr. Kamal Haasanin Mayyam - Part 9

Threaded View

Senior Member Veteran Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joe View Post
    சும்மா நிப்பேனாடி is not duet?

no - not by Kamal standards - it was more of a fun song - following the success of the terrible (both by Kamal and IR standards) 'katta vandi' from Sagalakalavallavan, AVM and SP Mutharaman must have decided on just a couple of fun songs for TTT - 'maama nee namma kitta' and 'summaa' were atrocious - when I meant a duet, something matching the class/standard of 'perai sollava' or 'ninaivo oru paravai' or 'vizhiyil un vizhiyil' or 'indha minminikku'..

and despite not having a Kamal-IR standard duet song, the film was a massive hit! primarily for the novel pattaiya kilappum bench fight/stunt by Kamal - never before in Indian cinema - Kamal's dance in 'varudhu varudhu' and 'vaanam keezhey' and the amma sentiment!

AVM productions hit a nadir in terms of creative contribution in the 80s - it became (just like Sathya Movies and Balajee productions) just a business house - no wonder Kamal had issues with all of them...he would have never gotten the nod from any of them for a film like 'nayagan' or 'pushpak' - those production houses were mired deep in cash punditry with not much interest in creative cinema - probably the late AV Meiyappa Chettiyar knew how to smartly invest in creativity to get the returns on the investment as well..

Even 'Yejaman' was done banking on the 'murattu kaalai' image of Rajini and IR's success with RV Udayakumar...
    Last edited by irir123; 11th August 2015 at 11:25 PM.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"
    -Robert Frost

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement