Thread: MANNA DEY-PLAY BACK SINGER

Senior Member Senior Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like

MANNA DEY-PLAY BACK SINGER

Whether it is the toe-tapping number “ae bhai sara dhek ke chalo”(MERA NAM JOKER), the haunting YE MERE PYARE WATAN (KABULI WALA), the hilarious EK CAHTHUR NAAR, (PADOSAN), OR THE LOVE LORN MANASA MAINE VAROO(CHEMMEEN), Manna Dey, the legend, proved to be a versatile singer.

In an interview the singer expressed his gratitude to his uncle K C DEY, influence of great masters, and his experience with the Malayalam filmdom.

“I WAS initiated into music by my uncle K C DEY-the blind singer of Bengal. Many great singers frequented our house, and I was gradually drawn towards the melodious musical notes” said Manna Dey and continued,

“But my father had a different plan. He wanted me to become an advocate. I politely refused and continued my music lessons under Ustad Aman Ali Khan.”

“In 1950, I was invited to sing for the film MASHAAL. The marching song “UPPAR GAGAN VISHAL” TOOK ME TO GREATER HEIGHTS. There is no looking back since then” he said.

My initial experience with exposure to the film industry was through my uncle K C DEY and the NEW THEATRES CINEMA. In those days New Theatres and haunting music have become synonymous, because of the contribution made by the immortal musicians like Punkaj Muaalick, K L Siagal, R C Boral, Kanan Devi, and K C DEY” remembers the singer.

“I was tremendously influenced by them. Shankar Jai Ksihen recognized my potential and I was given a chance in SHRI 420. Its producer A V Meyyappa Chettiar, was infuriated on seeing me instead of Mukesh. But on hearing me, he remarked “I never knew that your choice matched so well for Raj Kapoor and hugged me” he remembered.

Roshan, Madan Mohan, Sankar Jai Kishen, and S D Burman always banked on Manna DEY. How can one forget “ishqu, ishqu, hai.. jhoomtha mausam mast maheena…. Thu pyar ka saagar hai….jhanak jahnak teri bhajae paayaliya…etc.

All his classical numbers are matchless. At the same time there are songs like “pucho na kaise menae rein bithayee…” which only Dey can render. “Laaga chunuri mein daag….” And “awao twist Karen…” are entirely offbeat numbers.

“I love all the numbers that I have rendered. I was meticulous about my renditions and I have taken utmost care, honesty etc…” he said.

About his co-singers, DEY is of the pinion that Rafi was a puritan and the best singer India has ever produced. Mukesh was brilliant in his own way. Kishore has a fabulous voice. Lata has special blessings from the Almighty. None can sing like her. Chitra’s voice is sweeter than honey.

Dey reminisced that it was Salil Chaudry, who introduced him to Malayalam cinema. “Ramu Kariat, Vayalar Rama Varma, and Salil Dha came to my house. I could not refuse the offer. My wife Sulochana is from Kerala. My daughters are well versed in Malayalam. They taught me Manasa mainae varoo, word by word. It became a smash hit. I could not believe” he said.

Dey met Sulochana at Mumbai. “She is musically inclined and a great fan of Rabeendra sangeeth. Our meeting became frequent and we got married” he explained.

Dey is currently settled in Bangalore where his younger daughter resides. The elder one is in America. My wedding with sulochana took place in this beautiful city” said Dey with a tinge of nostalgia.

KERALA CALLING MARCH 2005

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Senior Member Regular Hubber southiecook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Maanasamaine varu" by Manna Dey:

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/...vfS.As1NMvHdW/
    Time is making fools of us again

Senior Member Seasoned Hubber
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manna for the soul - An interview with Manna Dey

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2010/02/01/s...0151240100.htm