PDA

View Full Version : Ilaiyaraaja's Athiradi Albums Version 2009

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Sureshs65
29th October 2009, 01:15 PM
MSK and Gokul,

'Vaanambadigal' is a nice song. I like the lyrics in the pallavi. In case you are enjoying 'Vaanambadigal' you should check out the songs of 'Jaganmohini' if you haven't already. These are some songs which add to the 'energy of 2009', as MSK says.

Sureshs65
29th October 2009, 01:23 PM
crv,

You are very right. 'Unnai Patri Sonnal' is littered with tiny delights throughout. A small keyboard passage here, a tiny bang on the drums there, a piece of flute here, a trill there. I only wish the pallavi lyrics were better. This is a typical Raja song where the charanam keeps on building up the melody. Lovely.

cry_sandiego
29th October 2009, 02:36 PM
I thought i was the one burning midnight oil :-(

Yes Suresh.. Tiny delights is a very apt description. The Jazz like touches in Unnai patri is interesting.. and jump out here and there like tiny delights.. ( I remember my Piano teacher used to tell me that Jazz guys are totally unpredictable..While she is very traditional piano classical her son Eldar http://www.eldarjazz.com/biography is a Jazz whiz ) ...

By the way i remember someone mentioning the similarity of Niram Pirithu to this song.. It's been a while since i listened to that one.. don't seem to have in my HD now.. Does it have similar "Tiny delights"

Cheers
MSK

Sureshs65
29th October 2009, 03:28 PM
MSK,

My being in Bangalore, I am burning mid afternoon oil :)

It has been a long time since I listened to 'Niram Pirithu'. Should do that soon.

NagaS
29th October 2009, 04:02 PM
No need to get into this North / South divide

Of course, I am not trying to create any controversy here, My only ஆதங்கம் is, When you are talking about a song as "Good", the composer deserves the credit, Forgetting to mention his name is careless - Its like someone writing a book review, ignoring the author name and praising the paper quality / binding work :)

NagaS

Plum
29th October 2009, 07:03 PM
Aades arranging IR's work? I am not liking the sound of this.
But it is clear that literally the 40+ Hindi MD community is in awe and knows the worth of IR. Add the older lyricsits as well.
And the next generation is going to swear by Rahman.

Another 20 years, ultimate respected musical legends in India will only be tamilians. Adhukkappuram theriyala.

Plum
29th October 2009, 08:17 PM
a few words on ambum kombum (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=1947891#1947891)

Sureshs65
29th October 2009, 09:09 PM
Plum,

I don't think Aadesh is 'arranging' Raja's songs. As I had said earlier, he would have just recorded Amitabh's singing.

Thanks for the Ambum Kombum link. What you say there is very true. I still need to post my thoughts on this lovely song.

app_engine
29th October 2009, 09:09 PM
Slightly indifferent review to PR, praises IR and the discussion below the review is interesting :

http://prempanicker.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/review-pazhassi-raja/

writeface
29th October 2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the link.

"Ilayaraja, that enduring music maestro from Tamil Nadu, harnesses the Hungarian Symphony Orchestra, Leslie Kovacs conducting, to produce an understated score that riffs off the sounds of nature"

If it is understated I am thrilled. Going by the battle tones in the songs I was expecting (and also worrying) that BGM may be more pronounced.

Sometime ago I saw Balu Mahendra's "adhu oru kanaakaalam". The BGM was quite nuanced and understated.

Gokul.

Plum
29th October 2009, 09:49 PM
App_engine, interesting review. I was expecting Panicker to review this movie. I was checking past few days, but he didnt. Today I didnt check and he seems to have gone and reviewed it :-)
Firstly, Panicker must be of app_engine vintage :-). I mean, college student in early-mid 80's. Here's the clincher - in Chennai! So, no surprise on his IR praise :-)

Coming to his review, interestingly, he raises the very points I mentioned in my brief notes in HUB
* Actors playing britishers not competent
* English conversations poorly written
* Usual Freedom fight movie cliches are there - though like me, he observed that that wasnt a problem by itself
* Action scenes - some of them - the ones that channel tamil superstar fights are poor
* Mammootty doesnt have much of a role to challenge his capability
* It is a simple movie documenting events than a detailed character study or nuanced script
* One of the comments touches upon lack of native Keralan instruments in the BGM

Yet, while I enjoyed the movie thoroughly as it is, he seems to have been disappointed
Counterpoints to his problems:
* Mammotty hasnt been challenged with fiery dialogues so it is not a good movie - basically, that presumes that because Mammootty is there, and he can do it, the movie must go the way of rabble rousing, fiery speeches. I didnt have a problem with the low-key depiction of Mammotty's efforts to stitch together a motley army. It keeps with the guerilla methods that Pazhassi, apparently, adopted. But Panicker seems to have expected conventional war mongering speech from this King - and that purely because MT and Mammootty were involved. So, this is a case of confused expectations
* It is not Oru Vadakkan Veera Gadha. Ofcourse, it isnt. It is Pazhassi Raja. He seems to be expecting something else froma movie which simply doesnt aspire to be an intricate character study
* The English actors are poor, but not so bad as to detract from the experience of the movie. This is subjective, though, and one can grant it to him
* Mamu Koya, Lalu Alex wasted. Well, why not?
* Mammotty's speeches drowned by IR's song - again why not? Vaanam pozhigiradhu was one approach. Why not have a movie where IR's music conveys the freedom spirit?

Interestingly, he also touches upon Sarath Kumar being outstanding. If Prabhu Ram and Honestraj are reading this, :itoldyouso:. Sarathar really has gone and delivered a knockout performance.

Other than the final impact the movie had on him, most of his observations tally with mine. It is interesting that with so much agreement upon the content, the impact we carried was so different :-)

Plum
29th October 2009, 10:08 PM
-deleted-

app_engine
30th October 2009, 02:57 AM
[tscii:bd64a343c6]http://kiruthikan.blogspot.com/2009/10/18-24-2009.html

இளையராஜாவின் பழசிராஜா பாடல்கள் தமிழிலும் வெளிவந்திருக்கிறன. இதுவரை கேட்காத இசை என்று சொல்லாவிட்டாலும் பெரும்பாலான படங்களில் குத்துப்பாடல்களும், R&B ஐ மையமாக வைத்து உருவாக்கப்படும் பாடல்களுமாகப் போய்க்கொண்டிருக்கும் நிலையில் இளையராஜாவின் ஆண்டாண்டு காலமாகக் கேட்டுவரும் இசை இன்னும் அலுத்துப்போகாமல் இருப்பது அதிசயமே. அதிலும் ‘ஆதிமுதல் காலம்' என்கிற பாடல் ஜேசுதாஸ் குரலில் மயக்குகிறது. 'அம்பும் கொம்பும்' என்ற ஒரு பாடல் (மலை ஜாதிப்பாடல் என்று நினைக்கிறேன்) வித்தியாசமாக இருக்கிறது. இதுவரை காணாத இசை என்றெல்லாம் புகழமுடியாது, ஆனால் ராஜா இன்னும் சோடை போகவில்லை என்றுமட்டும் சொல்லலாம்.

I thought somebody posted here that KJY is not there in the Thamizh version. This blogger reviews otherwise. Can some hubber who "listened" to the Thamizh version clarify?

[/tscii:bd64a343c6]

cry_sandiego
30th October 2009, 08:00 AM
இதுவரை காணாத இசை என்றெல்லாம் புகழமுடியாது,

There was definitely music like this even 10 years ago or even 2-3 years ago.. they were Guru and TIS. The only strange coincidence ;-) is that they have been composed by .. oh the same guy !

Room pottu yosipaangalo !! ( JaiGanes Style )

Cheers
MSK

NagaS
30th October 2009, 08:03 AM
I thought somebody posted here that KJY is not there in the Thamizh version. This blogger reviews otherwise. Can some hubber who "listened" to the Thamizh version clarify?

There is no KJY in tamil - Madhu Balakrishnan's voice intha blogger-ai yemathiduchchu :)))))

NagaS

Sureshs65
30th October 2009, 10:13 AM
MSK,

:)

Yup. There are many such people who do book a room to think :) But in case of Pazhassiraja, where is the room to think? It is outstanding in every aspect. After listening to lot of 'ding chack' meesic people have become 'experts' and you can find their commentary everywhere.

Plum
30th October 2009, 03:59 PM
So, the yardstick is idhu varai kANAdha isai?

Recent years-la, which which album-lAM "idhu varai kANAdha isai"-yAm?

jaiganes
30th October 2009, 05:18 PM
So, the yardstick is idhu varai kANAdha isai?

Recent years-la, which which album-lAM "idhu varai kANAdha isai"-yAm?

ellaam thirudi thirudi velilendhu sutta music. inge irukka karuvaapayangalukku enge theriyapovudhu.
recentaa I was in Rotterdam and had dinner in an iranian restaurant where they played some music - HArris Jeyaraaj utpada pala pinnaveenathuva isai medhaigaL pugazh velichathukku vandhudhu.
Eppoda pottan indha musicainnen - kadaikaaran 15 varushathukku munnaame idhu popularnaan, Naan rightu vidunnu kelambi vandhutten (kaasu kuduthuttu dhaan)..

coming back to reviewers expecting 'idhu varai kaanadha isai' kaetta mattum purinjudumaakkum'...

Sureshs65
30th October 2009, 06:29 PM
Jai,

I have had the same feeling sometimes in India and sometimes abroad and it is not only related to Harris. harriku mun naveenathvaraga kardudapadum medhaigalin pugazh velichathuku vandadu. melum melum melnatu isai ketaka vandhukondirukiradhu!!

Bala (Karthik)
30th October 2009, 06:41 PM
There are many such people who do book a room to think :)
:rotfl2: (i mean its even funnier to read this in English)

app_engine
30th October 2009, 06:51 PM
I found a 'yEh Raj kaNNu, kannipparuvaththilE' moment in kunnaththE :-)

(For those not familiar with this thingy, Raj Kannu was the famous producer of 16 vayadhinilE / K P Rayil / mahA nadhi. At one point of time he was upset with BR and went away to make the movie "kannipparuvaththilE" in colloboration with BR's asst (Bhagyaraj) but I think his own name was listed as the director. In the big hit song 'nadaya mAththu' it was made sure that his own name is included as above. Ofcourse, IR has made his name appear in countless songs too).

It's unusual to see this in MFM but here it is; at the best part of kunnaththE, we have this line :

"துணையாய் வரணும் இனி உடலில் நாகம் அணியும் அரிய ஹரனே"
(interesting reference to the director's name)

:-)

app_engine
30th October 2009, 06:56 PM
NagaS,

Thanks for the clarification!

I find it quite unusual that someone cannot differentiate the (current) KJY voice with that of MB :-) Actually, amusing!

app_engine
30th October 2009, 07:12 PM
Well, last night I survived watching 'kunnaththE' on youtube :-(

No, I don't mean it's picturized as poorly as many of those IR classics in TFM. However, it's so plain, ordinary. Do we need such songs anymore in movies, if there are no scintillating movements or story being told etc. (Well, the director would have considered it a stress reliever in the movie's context but when watched alone, it is so ordinary).

And Kanika :-(

Shocking to see that they could not get someone competent when they invest so much money in a project - even school girls in Kerala will do better in close-ups!

Now I understand why there are some negative comments like "IR should have done better" etc; This brilliant song is, in a sense, wasted on the screen. (That too when people went in looking for another 'uNNiyArchcha' where Madhavi was so adorable, this should have been felt much worse).

Well, I need to still wait for the availability of this movie in MI in some form before making further comments :-)

p.s. - I don't have a very great memory of VVG and no bias exists there, actually I remember the (usual) fight between the two of my bachelor days workmates in the restaurant prior to going to theater, better than the movie:-) (They lived in the same room but totally opposite personalities).

In addition, I wasn't aware of the 'chathiyan chandhu' business and so could not appreciate the different portrayal of that character by MT. It was like an amercian guy with no knowledge of mahAbhArathA watching R S Manohar's 'thuriyOdhanan' drama.

Plum
30th October 2009, 09:21 PM
app_engine, context-Oda paarunga. kannula thaNNiyE varum. I thought it was pretty well done and placed in the movie

cry_sandiego
31st October 2009, 01:35 AM
App_engine,

I think Direction credit for Kannipuravithle goes to V.Balaguru and Not Raj Kannu who is the producer ( Amman movies or creations something like that..).. he was also the producer for numerous movies like KB's Enga Chinna Rasa starring KB and Radha.

But i got your point.. yes. there are countless songs of IR where the use of "Raja" and in the early 90's it had even his full name.

As recently as in Ajantaa, there is his and Yuvan's name..

Cheers
MSK

app_engine
31st October 2009, 02:29 AM
Yes, MSK, you're right.

Balaguru was credited with direction while S A Rajkannu was the producer (& as per his interview to daily thanthi, Kamal calls him 'mudhalALi') :-)

kiru
31st October 2009, 03:36 AM
Jai,

I have had the same feeling sometimes in India and sometimes abroad and it is not only related to Harris. harriku mun naveenathvaraga kardudapadum medhaigalin pugazh velichathuku vandadu. melum melum melnatu isai ketaka vandhukondirukiradhu!!
I second this..the main reason I put up with crap from IR now and then. Atleast he tries and fails ..others go for the crutchess.

Anyways, it all started with Peter Gabrie I guessl..world music..they started adding westernised chords/beats to melodies from other parts of the world..albeit to promote those artistes in the west..(eg NFAK).

cry_sandiego
31st October 2009, 09:33 AM
Kiru, Jaiganes, Suresh,

I have heard many years ago that tamil techno meesic ( i like this ;-) directors "buy" rythm/loops/tunes from Canada - I think outsourcing has found its way into music as well :-(

Cheers
MSK

irir123
31st October 2009, 05:39 PM
Mathiya chennai is a pretty decent cute album !

"ilavayasu" somehow is the most captivating! innovative rhythm, a stunner of a 2nd interlude and a sweet ending to the charanams - minus point though are the horrible lyrics - simply pathetic

rajasaranam
31st October 2009, 06:35 PM
Mathiya chennai is a pretty decent cute album !

"ilavayasu" somehow is the most captivating! innovative rhythm, a stunner of a 2nd interlude and a sweet ending to the charanams - minus point though are the horrible lyrics - simply pathetic

Ok since Iam not able to find time to write a decent review of the album 'Mathiya Chennai' I second your post here.
would like to add that this not only a cute album but an eye (ear rather) opener for me in regards to approaching a Raaja Album. Will try to write a detailed post after I articulate my thoughts well on this. Till then I would like to say, to the 'others' who are not indoctrined into the religion of Raaja to stay away from that MadMan. I had been listening to 'Mathiya chennai' non-stop for the past 3 days :D நமக்கு என்ன இசை தெரியுமோ, பிடிக்குமோ அதை குடுப்பது கலைஞன் நமக்கு என்ன இசை தெரியாதோ, பிடிக்காதோ ஆணால் 'தேவைப்படும்' என அறிந்து அதை வழங்குவது கடவுள்.

irir123
31st October 2009, 07:30 PM
rajasaranam - romba unarchhi vasappadareenga!

agreed that compared to the pedestrian trash from other composers, IR's 2009 output stands out - but even then, barring PR, NK his other 2009 albums r pedestrian by HIS standards

why ?? coz, he is still giving template-driven scores - but i see spurts of creativity not seen before in recent times in his scores - a good sign

sloshed
31st October 2009, 10:56 PM
-deleted-

Sureshs65
31st October 2009, 11:13 PM
irir123,

I wouldn't call his 2009 output as pedestrian even by HIS standards. I thought 'Prem Kahani' was quite good and most of the songs were not 'template' driven. Same holds for the three songs of Jaganmohini. And what about 'Bhagyadevatha'? An outstanding album even by his standards. I wouldn't quibble about their merit relative to PR but overall this has been a great year.

csramasami
1st November 2009, 01:55 PM
A fantastic start has been made !

Seeing sorry Listening is believing !

www.paathefilm.com

Enjoy !

:clap: :swinghead:
:redjump: :bluejump:

Regards

CSR

Sureshs65
1st November 2009, 02:05 PM
CSR,

Thanks for the link.

I have one doubt. I hope this is the music from the movie, right? Sometimes some well known classical pieces are taken and put for the trailers and web site. Hence the confusion.

But going by the bass, I think this must be the original score of Raja. Lovely piece.

csramasami
1st November 2009, 02:32 PM
Thats the prelude and interlude of "Kaattu Vazhi " (Adhu oru kana kaalam ?) sung by IR.

But the track put up and what we are hearing has some additional beauties. So I think, it may be the theme music (also sung by Amithab ??)

Just guess. If Balki has selected this for re-mixing, my "Sabaash !" to him !

raagas
1st November 2009, 06:50 PM
ofcourse it is the interlude piece from a song from Adhu Oru Kanaa Kaalam. He seems to have improvised it by adding another layer to it. The oiriginal piece has 3 violins entwined, to give a very irish music feel. even this one does that. I have been almost yelling from the rooftops, ever since Adhu oru kanaa kaala, that IR has used a brilliant Irish melody kind of stuff, which has a global appeal. And I am, glad that he now choose to take it beyond the tamil audience to national audience.

I am now desperately waiting for the album. Movie releasing on Dec4th. That means audio should be out anytime now. And my guess is, is the audio releasing on Nov 2nd, since the website quotes that date for more clues :)

Raaja varsham is on this year. Awesome!

anegan
1st November 2009, 09:49 PM
Wonderful. Wonderful Irish loops. "Kaatu Vazhi" has always been my all time favourites. As many other IR songs this is one of the most underrated songs.

Thanks for someone who finally found the potential of the tune. Thanks to the person who found it is just not a slumdog.

நமக்கு என்ன இசை தெரியாதோ, பிடிக்காதோ ஆனால் 'தேவைப்படும்' என அறிந்து அதை என்றோ வழங்கிய ராஜாவுக்கு நன்றி.

What worked for Dhanush will also work for Amitab. Thanks to Raaja for the fair and square approach in providing just genuine music.

cry_sandiego
2nd November 2009, 01:27 AM
The site does create expectations..

I see Reliance BIG movies banner - This should help in promoting the film well across the nation.. I was disappointed with Cheeni Kum's fare at the box office given the stuff it had. . ( i am not talking just Music alone.. )

My apprehension is just like Bala has always zeroed in on dark themes, I am worried Balki might do the same with his London locales making it look a bit stereotyped to viewers.. I have respect for Balki's talent after watching CK ( though some scenes were like commercials given his background) but we have to see.

Cheers
MSK

krish244
2nd November 2009, 09:03 AM
Sort of a digression:

Aishwarya Rai is actively involved in marketing of PAA. I guess this will also involve timeliness of trailer, songs, etc.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Paa-is-priority-for-Ash/articleshow/5183230.cms

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
2nd November 2009, 10:39 AM
CSR,

Thanks for the link. Now the beauty of Athu Oru kanaa Kaalam is revealed to Detractors :D Hope one day the beauty of Mathiya Chennai also is revelead...oh it takes time for Raaja fans isn't it? may after 5 years they will realize what a nice album MC is! for me it is as good as MX for its RaJaaz Genre. :D

rajasaranam
2nd November 2009, 10:58 AM
Wonderful. Wonderful Irish loops. "Kaatu Vazhi" has always been my all time favourites. As many other IR songs this is one of the most underrated songs.

Thanks for someone who finally found the potential of the tune. Thanks to the person who found it is just not a slumdog.

நமக்கு என்ன இசை தெரியாதோ, பிடிக்காதோ ஆனால் 'தேவைப்படும்' என அறிந்து அதை என்றோ வழங்கிய ராஜாவுக்கு நன்றி.

What worked for Dhanush will also work for Amitab. Thanks to Raaja for the fair and square approach in providing just genuine music.

:D :thumbsup:

rajasaranam
2nd November 2009, 11:01 AM
Suresh,

You have got to Listen, rather watch AOKK. The Songs and BG score were Outstanding (Ithu oru athisiyama!) :)

csramasami
2nd November 2009, 11:32 AM
CSR,

Thanks for the link. Now the beauty of Athu Oru kanaa Kaalam is revealed to Detractors :D Hope one day the beauty of Mathiya Chennai also is revelead...oh it takes time for Raaja fans isn't it? may after 5 years they will realize what a nice album MC is! for me it is as good as MX for its RaJaaz Genre. :D

Dittoo! Exactly echoing my sentiments ! :ty:

I have earlier written in my blog also. "In IR songs, there is only two category, one is what you repeatedly heard and another one you could not hear repeatedly so far...!" :2thumbsup:

CSR

Sureshs65
2nd November 2009, 11:45 AM
RS,

I had watched the ending of AOKK and the BGM was superb. As you say, is that a surprising thing? I like the songs from the movie though the tape I bought went bad and I am unable to hear it often.

CSR: Liked your classification of Raja songs :D I am also slowly coming to that same conclusion :) No surprise here either!!

RS: I told the same about Kannukulle that after 5yrs Usha Akka will be posting about the songs of that movie and everyone will be like "how did we miss this" :)Can't blame others since I have also done the 'not so good' dismissal many a times to eat humble pie later.

raagas
2nd November 2009, 11:58 AM
Thanks to the person who found it is just not a slumdog.

From when did this one become a benchmark?and why did it become so?

raagas
2nd November 2009, 01:31 PM
Ok, Paa website now says more clues on 4th Nov.I wonder when is the audio releasing?

rajaalltheway
2nd November 2009, 02:09 PM
Paa...Atlast a poster with proper ILAIYARAAJA instead of the usual cringy ILLAYARAJA or ILAYARAJA ,reminds me of the good old Echo audio tape days.And for those who think Ayya is not doing big films..A film being produced by the Big B himself along with Late Mukul Anands
MAD..can i it get any bigger.I categorically state that Paa will out do everything so far in the BGM department of Hindi film history.The Kaattuvazhi prelude is just the tip of the iceberg..

raagas
2nd November 2009, 02:17 PM
And for those who think Ayya is not doing big films..A film being produced by the Big B himself along with Late Mukul Anand's MAD..can i it get any bigger..

Source Please?? I didnt read anything about this anywhere.

krish244
2nd November 2009, 03:20 PM
Paa...Atlast a poster with proper ILAIYARAAJA instead of the usual cringy ILLAYARAJA or ILAYARAJA ,reminds me of the good old Echo audio tape days.And for those who think Ayya is not doing big films..A film being produced by the Big B himself along with Late Mukul Anands
MAD..can i it get any bigger.I categorically state that Paa will out do everything so far in the BGM department of Hindi film history.The Kaattuvazhi prelude is just the tip of the iceberg..

where did you read this? Curious to know more.

Thanks,

krishnan

AravindMano
2nd November 2009, 05:26 PM
I guess Nov 4, only the trailer is gonna release.

Plum
2nd November 2009, 05:47 PM
I categorically state that Paa will out do everything so far in the BGM department of Hindi film history

yeah, and Taran Adarshes will comment that "...Amitabh is too good etc but the movie is let down by its 'southie' BGM"*

:lol:

*For bollywood, World Class BGM = 'southie BGM'

AravindMano
2nd November 2009, 06:20 PM
And for those who think Ayya is not doing big films..A film being produced by the Big B himself along with Late Mukul Anand's MAD..can i it get any bigger..

Source Please?? I didnt read anything about this anywhere.

Raagas, I guess he is talking about 'Paa'. Produced by AB along with MAD :)

Did anyone notice, the website reads, introducing Amitabh Bachchan :)

app_engine
2nd November 2009, 09:06 PM
In IR's dictionary, whenever a melodious solo number is assigned to be sung by Chitra, her "companion" has to be flute :-) They are MFEO in his books and I won't hesitate to say a loud 'AYE'!

The flute accompaniment to Chitra in the pallavi of kunnaththE is simply OOW!

"ஒரு நவ வது போலே" அன்று அவர் குழையும் போது "ஆமாம், ஆமாம்" என்று புல்லாங்குழல் ஆமோதிக்க, நமக்கு ஏற்படுவது ரோமாஞ்சம்!

Sureshs65
2nd November 2009, 09:45 PM
Very true app_eng. The way the flute accompanies Chitra is wonderful. Also notice how the bass comes in when she sings 'thunayay varanamini'. As if the bass is coming along as a companion. Such wonderful moments throughout the song.

If you have not checked it out yet, do check out 'unnai patri sonnal' from 'Madhiya Chennai'. Such moments are sprinkled all throughout the song. My only complaint is that the pallavi lyrics could have been better. The charanam lyrics are much better though.

app_engine
2nd November 2009, 09:58 PM
If you have not checked it out yet

Like jaiganes said in a post, I'm a slow starter :-)

BTW, check out this review (sounds like promotion rather than a review) of the Thamizh version of PR :

http://www.planetradiocity.com/musicreporter/review.php?reviewid=374

One thing I definitely agree with this (on the MalayaLam version ofcourse) is the out-of-place-feel of 'Odanthannil' song. It's a nice song, sweet sounding etc. but totally feel out of place in this majestic album. Here too there's some nice percussion arrangement for the saraNam. Also, some decent singing by the fresh male / female voices. The second interlude has some interesting arrangements (I hear the uRumi-like-but-synth-sound similar to one of the high school musical tracks).

Interestingly, someone had commented in the web that only this song sounds like a typical IR song, which is totally contrary to my opinion. This is the only song I felt non-IR'ish (more of 90's ARR'ish, actually) :-)

app_engine
2nd November 2009, 10:02 PM
Another nice comment this review makes is about the real orchestration that we miss in most of the songs that get released nowadays with sampled / synthesized sounds.

PR sounds so good thanks to that part and the reviewer correctly captures that!

app_engine
2nd November 2009, 10:23 PM
More fun by bloggers booking room to think:

http://satyamshot.wordpress.com/2009/11/02/outlook-piece-on-pazhassi-raja/

Ilaiyaraja enlists even the Hungarian State Symphony Orchestra, but his own music is slightly overdone. At one point, I thought I heard the Kurichiyas humming a western air.

app_engine
2nd November 2009, 10:43 PM
Observations by another group (looks like Mohanlal fans) :

http://www.snehasallapam.com/malayalam-movie-discussions/1069-pazhassiraja-blame-hype.html

(says IR rocks)

Plum
2nd November 2009, 11:38 PM
App, have you seeen yet?

raagas
2nd November 2009, 11:48 PM
Shreya Ghoshal did not sing any song for the film "Paa".

Courtesy: Shreya Ghoshal, on twitter.

app_engine
3rd November 2009, 12:03 AM
App, have you seeen yet?

Not yet, they've advertised that the original'll show from Nov 6th-13th at Novi, MI (in the metro Detroit area). It's such a wrong time for me (too many other serious activities already lined up).

Very rarely I venture into the movie halls here but wanted to see PR that way. May not happen. It'll be most probably "wait for DVD".

cry_sandiego
3rd November 2009, 12:05 AM
App_engine,

I noticed that too - Does odathannil feature in the film.. it will be nice to see if it more of context driven.. IR's mind is sub-consciously wired to adapt the feel/mood of the song heavily on the situation..( some of the raagas/Instruments this man chooses for certain situation is so #$%^ unbelievable and he claims it just came to him and he did not pre-meditate it !!!!!! )

Begin Digression:

Interestingly, I was listening to the Stanford radio station archive on IR's style/method of music making discussion by Dasarathy where he was discussing the percussion on "Rajaadhi Raajavin thandhirangal.." a rajini song ( Mannan? ) where the western percussion paves way to Thavil out of nowhere towards the later part of the song.. and the host was alluding that there was a lyric referring to Thavil ( something like " mela satham eppothu" ) and a few seconds later, the Thavil is in full flow.. but until the guy pointed out i did not even notice the transition.. I heard the thavil, but did not realize that it came out of no-where.. there is no indication anywhere until that point in the song about any Indian/Percussion finding a place... It is also interesting to note the lyrics " Raajavin thandhirangal..".. Is'nt that so true.. he camaflouges ( wish i had spell checker in this editor.. lost all my spelling skills thanks to Outlook /word automatically fixing my bugs ) these little things so well that we have really look for it to catch them.. Real thandhirakaaran this IR when it comes to music !!

I have had the opportunity of talking w/. IR many many years ago and one thing that impressed me in his conversation was his ability to connect multiple things at a time in a very related manner.. and very spontaneous as well. .. For example, in the TIS launch function, when thanking Kamal for his coming to the launch (inspite of him being an atheist) he said " Kamal kadavulai nambuvar alla... Kadavulum ivar namba vendum enbatharkaaha kaathirukkavillai.." and the crowd went into a huge applause..

But the same type of situation was there recently in kamal -50 function where Rajini was mentioning that Kalaithaai ( interesting that Rajini pronounced it as Kalethaai :-) always had Kamal close to her heart.. blah blah.. And IR take stage and says " Saraswathi mela kamalukku nambikkai illai.. but Saraswathikku Kamal mela nambikkai neraya irrkku... See the difference, in both the cases, he did not give up his spiritual beliefs, but at the same time, in the former case, the spot light was on Thiruvasagam and in the latter case, the spot light was on Kamal and this guy is spontaneous in praizing the right person but without giving up his stand.. ( it's a different story that inspite of this spontaneity , his speeches sometime make no sense ( atleast to me) at times - totally of tangent :-)

Sorry for my rant... End digression..

Cheers
MSK

Sureshs65
3rd November 2009, 12:41 AM
MSK,

Can fully understand your sentiments regarding 'raja thandiram'. Many a times I have this feeling of having listened to the song with full concentration only to realize later that Raja has done tricks which even my 'snake ears' couldn't catch.

A couple of examples come to mind. One is 'vanithamani' from Vikram. In the first charanam the percussion section completely stops!! Yes, completely stops and in that fast paced song you don't even notice it!! How is that done? The second charanam has the percussion though.

Another song is 'mellai onnu' from 'Manasinnakare'. In this song the first song has typical Indian percussion accompaniment, tabla et al. When the second charanam comes on, the percussion is synth drums. I have listened to this song 'n' number of times but it took a long long time before I noticed it. Magical.

anegan
3rd November 2009, 02:10 AM
MSK,

Another song is 'mellai onnu' from 'Manasinnakare'. In this song the first song has typical Indian percussion accompaniment, tabla et al. When the second charanam comes on, the percussion is synth drums. I have listened to this song 'n' number of times but it took a long long time before I noticed it. Magical.

Another example is Oh Vasantha Raaja from Neengal Kettavai

cry_sandiego
3rd November 2009, 08:47 AM
Yup, Countless songs where you can see the rythem percussion innovations elegantly pointed out by Voilin Vicky/Raj in their blogs -

http://rajamanjari.blogspot.com/

http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/

Cheers
MSK

csramasami
3rd November 2009, 11:27 AM
Nothing about music. But, as we regularly pray for a Hindi commerciallly successful movie for IR, this is quite encouraging initial reactions as given by AB himself: :D

http://bigb.bigadda.com/?p=4004

Balki has done some outstanding job, it seems. Then IR certainly will take the emotional level to a higher degree.

Being family production, Bachchans have taken the marketing seriously, it appears from these news: :clap:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Producer-Abhishek-impresses-Balki/articleshow/5126472.cms

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Paa-is-priority-for-Ash/articleshow/5183230.cms

Let us hope for the best.

vssathish
3rd November 2009, 12:59 PM
[tscii:16d911a499]“For most of the remaining day, valuable discussions on the marketing of the film PAA and how it needs to be promoted prevailed. The official look shall be released on the 4th by an unveiling of the final poster and then the first promo shall be up on the blog on the 5th. The channels shall be carrying it from the 6th.”
“I wonder if it is prudent to put down what the initial results from the promo have revealed. There is a sense of wonder and awe. There is disbelief and there is love and emotion. Balki, the director showed the promo to Yash Chopra and he promptly called back, to say he could not believe what he was seeing. It was stupendous he said. A short while ago Adi Chopra has sent me a message delighted with the promo he saw too and has been calling up Abhishek to express what he believes will be a landmark film. He felt cinema bench marks would be set again and that the film even before he could see a single frame had suggested to him of its huge box office prospects.”

Too much hype is also a concern. Lets hope PAA does well and keeps Raaja's flag fying high[/tscii:16d911a499]

Plum
3rd November 2009, 01:13 PM
App, have you seeen yet?

Not yet, they've advertised that the original'll show from Nov 6th-13th at Novi, MI (in the metro Detroit area). It's such a wrong time for me (too many other serious activities already lined up).

Very rarely I venture into the movie halls here but wanted to see PR that way. May not happen. It'll be most probably "wait for DVD".

oh ok Looks like you are really interested in this movie going by how much of the web you are scouring through for reviews :-)

It is worth a watch.

BTW, odathandil is not picturised, and I also felt that it was slightly out of place in this album. In the movie, there is absolutely no scope to slip in this song. I think ambum kombum should have gone the full hog in the movie, though. Would have made the scenario at the end of the song even more poignant and thrilling.

thumburu
3rd November 2009, 04:42 PM
"kunnathe konnakyum" from "pazhassi Raja" is such a beautiful Bhimplaas by Raja , wonderfully rendered by Chitra . I get a feeling of walking down the Bhagavathi temple "prakaar" at places like Kodungallur, Chengannur, Chottanikkara , Nelliyakkaadu etc. Great pristine experience indeed!!!

MumbaiRamki
3rd November 2009, 05:45 PM
Any idea when is PR is releasing in tamizh ? No posters or ads now

app_engine
3rd November 2009, 06:35 PM
oh ok Looks like you are really interested in this movie going by how much of the web you are scouring through for reviews :-)

I think it's quite some time since I discussed enthusiastically about a new movie, that too which had music by IR...hmmmm...

OTOH, when so many priorities clash, it's so difficult to venture to movie halls when they have a very small time window (which is the case of most Indian movies in MI, if not all) :-( DVD vAzhga!

irir123
3rd November 2009, 06:40 PM
Nothing about music. But, as we regularly pray for a Hindi commerciallly successful movie for IR, this is quite encouraging initial reactions as given by AB himself: :D

http://bigb.bigadda.com/?p=4004

Balki has done some outstanding job, it seems. Then IR certainly will take the emotional level to a higher degree.

Being family production, Bachchans have taken the marketing seriously, it appears from these news: :clap:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Producer-Abhishek-impresses-Balki/articleshow/5126472.cms

Let us hope for the best.

Bacchan thannoda padathha pathhi appadithhaan solluvaar - he is not exactly a great judge of films going by what he has commented abt films earlier - he is a star, with lots of jalras around him - thats all - the very fact that he spent more time appearing in advts/commercials, speaks volumes of his real dedication to his chosen profession - so i wud take his comments with a bag of salt

but based on the little piece for the webite, IR might have given equivalent to, or better than 'cheeni kum'

writeface
4th November 2009, 10:37 AM
Cheeni Kum is an average movie. I could enjoy it only if I think of it as a satire of indian romantic films. Is "Paa" inspired by Benjamin Button?

krish244
4th November 2009, 04:46 PM
PAA trailer. Posted by teja in the other thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MKJSWhkrvc

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
4th November 2009, 04:49 PM
Special dentures for Amitabh to get the voice of small child for PAA:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/bollywood/news-interviews/Dentures-are-Big-Bs-secret/articleshow/5195102.cms

The above article also mentions Amitabh's recording of the title song in the child's voice.

"About the title track sung by Amitabh, Balki says, “Ilaiyaraaja sent us the track his own voice from Chennai. Mr Bachchan recorded for it and the track was sent back to Ilaiyaraaja for mixing."

thanks,

Krishnan

csramasami
4th November 2009, 05:47 PM
Read It here. AB thanks all the crew including IR

http://bigb.bigadda.com/?p=4009#

rajasaranam
4th November 2009, 06:06 PM
Read It here. AB thanks all the crew including IR

http://bigb.bigadda.com/?p=4009#

There is something about the music, the feel that immediately gets your hair on end and tears begin to well up.

:notworthy:

app_engine
4th November 2009, 08:58 PM
http://www.dhool.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8772

PR song - Adhi ushus sandhya - hosted by our friends :-)

Excellent write-up by Shankar!

MumbaiRamki
4th November 2009, 09:56 PM
PAA trailer. Posted by teja in the other thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MKJSWhkrvc

thanks,

Krishnan

excellent one !!!

MumbaiRamki
4th November 2009, 10:17 PM
In the same website the song listing is given

1. Mudhi Mudhi by Shilpa Rao for 3 mins

2 . Halke se bolo for 1.5 mins

3.Udhi udhi (same as first one )

4.Hichki Hicki by Sundhi for 4.5 mins

5.Gali mudhi by shaan for 2.5 mins ( same as 1 guess)

6.GUmm Summ by various for 5 mins

7. Paa song by amitabh for 5 mins

Sureshs65
4th November 2009, 11:29 PM
Looks like 3 solo songs, I chorus song and a short chorus song. Going by the trailer the chorus songs would be in the school? Waiting eagerly for the audio.

krish244
4th November 2009, 11:30 PM
Some more promos/trailers (with better sound quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4irjCBVNAw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axq9DZEqNNM

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=195194770118&ref=mf

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
4th November 2009, 11:55 PM
While we all eagerly wait for Paa to find out which songs from here have been exported and wait to listen to the superb BGM (any doubts anyone?) let me talk a bit about the album no one has found time to discuss much, 'Madhiya Chennai'.

Rajasaranam made a remark about the 'jazzy' feel to this album and nothing exemplifies it better than 'unnai patri sonnal.' The pallavi lyrics are very ordinary but the lyrics pick up well in the charanams. The song starts without a prelude and with no backing to the voice. The keyboard and the synth drums enter when the pallavi is sung a second time. The keyboard and bass (synth) accompany the pallavi throughout. The keyboard is used to lovely effect in the first interlude. The synth sounds are very nice. The charnam starts dripping honey. The synth bass providing lovely support and the keyboards running riot. The keyboard and the tap of metal part of drums followed by the metal fulte(?) is the second interlude.

Rita does a lovely job. The diction is good. What impressed me are the lovely touches that Raja has strewn along the path. The interludes are very jazzy in the sense they seem to be more free playing than the normal precise interludes. While Raja's control is present we are given an impression of improvisation.

Diametrically opposite to a song like 'kunnathe' in terms of musical style. The similarity is that both these are top class melodies. A song according to me which proves Raja gives his best no matter who the producer / director is and whatever be the fate of the movie.

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 12:02 AM
The jazzy feel in 'Madhiya Chennai' continues with 'ila vayasu' song. The very starting of the song with the sax (or sax played on the synthesizer) and the similar sound in the first interlude accentuate the feeling. The pallavi and charanam rhythm are very nice reminding me of 'hodadavane'. The second interlude is top class with guitar like sound followed by violin accompanied by mridangam!! Where else but in a jazz setting can you find so many disparate sounds coming together? And Raja does it in his own style.

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 12:08 AM
The jazz treat continues with 'un vazhve'. The pallavi starts with a steady backing but when the pallavi line is repeated for the last time everyone stops except the bass. A lovely touch here. The first interlude is mostly on keyboard playing different unexpected patterns. The second interlude is mostly on drums with keyboard support. Again lot of unexpected patterns follow here. Sadhana Sargam sings well but you can make out that her diction still needs working on. (Though I can't say it is very bad.) The major problem with this song is the absolutely mediocre lyrics. If you in a position to forgive it, this is an enjoyable song.

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 12:13 AM
'Yezhaikinda' is one of the best songs in the album according to me. Raja sings with a lot of emotion. The drums are used to superb effect to enhance the feel in the pallavi. The superb touch comes after the first two lines of the charanam, when a chorus joins in and continues in the pallavi. The sadness of a single man is made more universal now. The first interlude has a solo violin and it appears again in second interlude. The interludes are short but effective. The lyrics are much better in this song. A very atmospheric song which conveys the intended emotion very well.

I know that not many have liked / will like this album but this has been in repeat mode with me for the past few days. I am enjoying it. Give it a careful listen and I promise you will obtain a lot of enjoyment from this album.

app_engine
5th November 2009, 12:34 AM
(or sax played on the synthesizer)

:(

Disclaimer - I totally agree that not many of us are musically qualified to give "suggestions" to IR (definitely not me). So, please read the following without prejudice. Simply 'Adhangams'.

After enjoying the music of PR for the last few weeks (and many of IR's 70s / 80s wonders during the last few months continuously), I've compiled a list of "expectations" for IR.

This has been further strengthened by listening to songs from his recent chal chalEin, kaNNukkuLLE, azhagar malai, vAlmeeki etc.

And watching parts of "sound of music" for two three nights after a year or so had further emphasized these.

1. Stop replacing traditional instrument sounds with the cheaper ones from tronics :-( Electronically "processing" the sound of live instruments further is fine but the source has to be non-electronic!

2. Use "non-standard" sounds from synth freely but never any "standard" sound from synth (like that of violin, trumpet , guitar etc). May be I'm repeating here but I'm simply struck on this :-(

3. Boost bass

4. Get masculine singers for male voices, esp in Thamizh (MFM / indhi are ok). Or use 'iLa manasonnu Rekka kattippaRakkudhu' technology to grandify it. (ref - 'adi AththAdi' of kadalOrakkavidhaigaL)

5. Don't compromise on recording standards (even cheap competition "sounds" great thanks to "gold plating", why coat pure gold with mud)

6. Dump keech-keech / Usha Uthup wannabe female singers (I don't mind if KSC / Shreya G sing all songs with an occasional Manjari number)

7. Dump all (or most of) the current lyricists of TFM :-( Find another VM - didn't you intro him in the first place? - or reconcile with him. Alternately, do more of non-TFM that we won't understand fully :-) Use classic Thamizh literature wherever possible. 100% instrumental would be even better :-)

8. Throw away the tsk-tsk drum pad

writeface
5th November 2009, 04:45 AM
app_engine:

Excellent suggestions! Hope someone passes this list to IR.

Gokul

ramk1
5th November 2009, 07:52 AM
Splendid suggestions. Hope IR or U1 reads this so that this message gets across to him. Hope he also stops thinking that the world still thinks that his music is the only music they hear. They have lot of choices to compare and the recording quality has increased by leaps and bounds. He should utilize those and change to that as well. That Vaali should be not write lyrics for IR songs. 'Un vaazhve kadhai aagalam' is crap.

writeface
5th November 2009, 08:20 AM
"Hope he also stops thinking that the world still thinks that his music is the only music they hear"

idhu ellaam jaasthi :-)

Vaali-yai mudhalil retirement-kku anuppaNum!

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 08:21 AM
app_eng,

What you say would resonate with lot of people. I guess many have the same 'aadhangam' as you. You have expressed it with great deal of clarity.

Having said that I again urge people to listen to 'unnai patri sonnal.' This has a lot of what you ask for. The synth is used a lot for "non standard' sounds. This is the one which confuses me. Songs like these and some of them which he gave for 'Valmiki' give a clear idea that he knows how to use the synth effectively. Still in some songs you have 'standard' sounds coming from the synth. Leads me to believe that economics may have something to with it.

Overall I would say things are moving positively, in terms of recording and in terms of synth usage. The vocal part and lyrics in Tamil still remain a problem. This problem is much less in other languages.

cry_sandiego
5th November 2009, 08:55 AM
Gokul,

"Vaali-yai mudhalil retirement-kku anuppaNum!

:-)

kiru
5th November 2009, 09:07 AM
I think app's concerns are valid. But I am more with Suresh when he says, "Overall I would say things are moving positively, in terms of recording and in terms of synth usage. The vocal part and lyrics in Tamil still remain a problem. This problem is much less in other languages.". I think the synths are the same quality as what Rahman is using and drum kit sound is similar too (check sahana from sivaji).
Re: vaali. Not sure I agree. He gives what he thinks will sit well with IR. Look at the lyrics he writes for Rahman. I also believe the first two lines of unnai paRRI came from IR. I dont know who the lyricist is. He should have stood his ground and offered his version. The rest of the stuff is very good.
All that said, I think IR is in his elements in 2009. The orchestration smacks of very live playing of drums and instruments (albeit synth). You will not get this sense of timing and liveliness from other MDs who are trying to create this effect starting with off-the-shelf loops .

raagas
5th November 2009, 11:25 AM
I completely second Suresh regarding Unnai Patri Sonnal. Its pure IR stamp song, despite all the synth. because the ideas are all his signature.Thats the reason i could even enjoy Ponmani Theril from JM, even though it had lot of synth.

Listen to chords and bass in Unnai Patri Sonnal,especially in charanams.. Thats him and i dont want him to change that :)

thumburu
5th November 2009, 04:41 PM
Iam loving the 2 female solos, "Ponmani theril" and "Nilavu varum neram" absolutely from the
jinxed "JaganMohini". "Ponmani theril" is regal and I like it as much as "vaazhga raani
vaazhga rajangam" of "Adutha Varisu". "Yeya Shinde" has done a neat job.Though
coincidentally it starts like Vidhyasagar's "vennilaavin", it quickly veers away towards a more elegant Raajaish route .
Shweta's voice carries the right amount of sensuality needed for "nilavu varum neram". The beats in this song ensure that there is not a single dull moment in the song.
The preludes of both the songs are delightful.
Even "poothadhu poovu", despite banal lyrics is fine with good singing by Rahul Nambiar. But
it is that Rita who has single handedly pulled down the song. She must be phased out from Raja's elite troup. The synth in these 3 songs never bothered me . The remaining songs didnt sustain my interest.
Suresh, I couldn't get hold of JaganMohini CDs anywhere in Bangalore including landmark. So I have no other option but listen at raaga.com

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 04:48 PM
thumburu,

'late A vandalum correctA vareenga' :) Yup. Those are the two songs the usual suspects like Jai, RS, Hulk and I have been promoting a lot. "poothadu poovu" is good too but 'nilavu varum neram' and 'ponmani theril' are superb. What energy in both these songs!!

In case I see any Jaganmohini CDs in Blore I will PM you. Looks like I must have bought the only one which was available in Landmark :) Somehow the distribution of Raja's Tamil film CD in Bangalore is pathetic. No 'kannukulle' and no 'Madhiya Chennai' whereas I see lot of unknown MDs and unknown film CDs on the shelves!!

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 04:50 PM
In 'nilavu varum neram' there is one female singer called Ujjaini who is singing along with Shweta. Both do a good job.

Plum
5th November 2009, 04:56 PM
So, my to-do list keeps growing:

I have only listened to NK, NL, PR, VM, BD and AM this year. Micham list enna folks?
Jaganmohini
Bhagyada Belagara
Prem Kahani
Paa
Madhya Chennai

vEra?

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 05:12 PM
Plum,

'kannukulle' and 'chal chale'.

Hmmm. You really have some catching up to do!!

tvsankar
5th November 2009, 05:13 PM
Nannavanu
kannukulae
Bhagyadevadha

Plum
5th November 2009, 05:16 PM
Bhagyadevatha is done. Very Very good album. AllippoovE is just beautiful. SwapnangaL is awesome. One of the best of the year. If not for Pazhassi and KadavuL, this would have been right on the top.

Pazhassi is just awesome. Keeps growing in stature on every hearing. kunnathE is ringing in my ears for last 15 days. And...got my daughter to stamp and seal Ambum Kombum as well. Indoctrination attempts continue...

Plum
5th November 2009, 05:17 PM
Jaganmohini
Bhagyada Belagara
Prem Kahani
Paa
Madhya Chennai
kannukulle
chal chale
nannavanu

That's a huge list. One of his biggest years since early 90's?

tvsankar
5th November 2009, 05:17 PM
wat about Kannukulae

tvsankar
5th November 2009, 05:18 PM
Engae senralum - Very Sweeeet.

Enaku pidicha - IR oda Madhyamavathi - its enough to me.

tvsankar
5th November 2009, 05:20 PM
Now am hearing - Engae senralum..
Excellent Violin Work.

app_engine
5th November 2009, 07:45 PM
Now am hearing - Engae senralum..
Excellent Violin Work.

This song starts great and once the male singer starts, I'm forced to press skip :-(

நாலு நாள் சாப்பிடாத வியாதிக்காரர் மாதிரி :-(

Sanjeevi
5th November 2009, 08:13 PM
app, I think you are affected by male-singero-phobia :lol:

Plum
5th November 2009, 08:39 PM
app, I think you are affected by male-singero-phobia :lol:
male-singer-not-called-yesduas-o phobia :lol:

Plum
5th November 2009, 08:40 PM
I happened to see enge sendraalum. Perhaps, because of that, I am kind of not so impressed. Download paNNi kEttu pArkarEn.

Sanjeevi
5th November 2009, 08:44 PM
Plum, give a listen to 'Puthu Pournami' song from same movie and I rate this as top of KannukkulE

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 09:26 PM
Plum,

In case you are pressed for time, here is my recommended list. Of course this reflects my preference but you can try it.

1. Yenidu Yenidu, Mudhalane Baari (Nannavanu)
2. Enge Nee Sendralum, Pudhu Pournami Nilavu (Kannukulle)
3. Chendulli Chendulli, Nannane Noduvanu (Bagyada Balegara)
4. Nilavu Varum Neram, Ponmani Theril, Puthadu Poovu (Jaganmohini)
5. Unnai Patri Sonnal, Yezhaikinda (Mathiya Chennai)
6. Rangu Rangu, Shringara Bangara, Kogile Koogu Baa (Prem Kahani)
7. Tum Bhi Doondna, Jhoom Jhoom (Chal Chalein)

And if you get time: The whole of Prem Kahani and Chal Chalein, Ilavayasu, Un Vazhve (Madhiya Chennai), Muthututu (Nannavanu), Naan Piranda (Kannukulle)

Yup. Looks like this is one of the biggest years since sometime in the 90s and it has been a lovely year till now. Waiting for Pa and then probably Suryakanthi.

app_engine
5th November 2009, 09:58 PM
Sanjeevi, Plum

Definitely I have bias "for" SPB/KJY/TMS/MV/PJ/IR but honestly I don't have any bias "against" the next gen.

Just that they don't seem to fit well in IR songs.

ஹரிஹரனே தேவலை இந்தப்பசங்களுக்கு.

Karthik was tolerable for a classic like 'oLiyilE, therivadhu dEvadhiayA' because of the movie's context (school boy), though I often get irritated by his "from inside the well" kind of singing in that song. (Or the "four-days-not-eaten-feel").

If he is the "in-thing-heart-throb-of-youngsters" in current field and has to be used, Raja, please use the 'voice multiplying technology' (like prelude of dEvanin kOvil of aRuvadai nAL), at least for parts of the song!

I think this is what HJ and others do to mask the inabilities of these singers.

writeface
5th November 2009, 10:29 PM
The singers have no life,emotion in their voice. "puthu paurnami" paattu kEkkum pOthu paththikittu varudhu. I don't know why IR has to use these robots.

Did IR do any telugu movies this year? I can't recollect any.

MFM,KFM,HFM, and TFM - what a splendid year for us! Every album this year has at least a song or two worth talking about.

"Unnai paRRi sonnaal" from MC - jazzy and cute song. This is a perfect song for "unplugged" version. If I can listen to a live performance of this song with real Piano,Bass, guitar, drumming with feather sticks with an emphasis on cymbals - ah..I can only dream!

Gokul

Sureshs65
5th November 2009, 10:47 PM
Gokul,

Lovely description of 'unnai patri'. Very true what you say. A perfect song for a chamber orchestra type of jazz setting.

njv
5th November 2009, 11:58 PM
saw Paa promo clipping - Amitabh is the son for a change and Abhishek is the father - Looks lot like Anjali type of movie.

BGM was class. I believe he used the BGM that he played in live in italy concert. May be I am wrong. Violin rules all the way.

MumbaiRamki
6th November 2009, 12:09 AM
for a change ???? - thats progeria sir !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_1I-xFTtGA

(sorry guys for the degression , but this will moist ur eyes ) ..

app_engine
6th November 2009, 01:06 AM
That youtube video :cry2:

It's always disheartening to read about genetic diseases.

Some more info on pA - sounds like a serious movie unlike CK :
http://sify.com/movies/fullstory.php?id=14918293

app_engine
6th November 2009, 01:15 AM
Looks like AB is going the Kamal way :

http://sify.com/movies/bollywood/fullstory.php?id=14918185

Definitely a strong platform for IR to use his BGM skills. apoorva sahOdhararkaL, anjaLi all had strong emotional tracks for the affected person.

In general, IR excels when tuning for someone who got affected by circumstances / nature etc and there's none else even distantly close in that department today.

(Interestingly, these sify links came up when I googled for 'progeria' and not this movie)

kameshratnam
6th November 2009, 09:48 AM
app_eng: Sir

How can you forget Mano? He has also sung close to 5000 plus songs in many languages and he was raaja's pet and he has given him some extraordinary numbers to sing

I find it irritating when people forget to mention him and he mimicks spb is all false...a good listener can clearly establish the difference in both their voices...

Ask anyone they wud say...Who is ur fav singer????
SPB K J Yesudas Unnikrishnan hariharan

Mano's hits are so many...very sad state of affairs...raja can still use mano

ezy0265
6th November 2009, 01:17 PM
kameshratnam,

I agree with you on Mano. He has so many wonderful gems under IR and he has also given some great numbers under other MDs too. Those stuff about he immitating SPB is all mainly from those fans of SPB only. Its exactly like how ARR fans downgrade Harris no matter what kind of music he makes. Its a similar phenomenon.
SPB and Mano have very distinct voices and not for once have I been confused between these 2.

rajasaranam
6th November 2009, 02:22 PM
...And Mano is a Good Ghazal / Hindustani Singer too. Thats the reason Raaja had used him for some of Hindustani Flavored nos.
Not to Forget Arunmozhi/Napolean to the List of Better singers under Raaja's Baton. Soorasamharan, Thalaattu Paadava are some of the treats by AM for any music lover.

kameshratnam
6th November 2009, 03:44 PM
I felt very sad when these TV channels promote the so called hariji aka hariharan Kodumaya padarar and that too when he sings IR's compositions on stage ...he kills the song..
and a few more uppuma singer..they would nt have crossed 50 -100 songs but they come and judge tv shows..i only remember the bhagyaraj scene from anda 7 natkal.where he teaches ambica how to sing..gam pa da gamapada gamapada :lol: .....
I remember one incident when meetada oru veenai song was being recorded...hariji :lol: struggled and IR asked him to go back and said "U can go back hari...i will ask SPB to come and do the honors for the song".....hariji had to plead with raaja to sing that song correctly...Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan oda sishyar :cry:

Vazhga mano

Plum
6th November 2009, 05:47 PM
Mano :evil:

"adi neeyE baliyAga varugindra pENmaiyE"
- edhAvadhu unarchi irukkA andha line-la?

"nE oru kAAdhdhdhal sangeddhhdhdham"
- It is like having Sachin batting at one end(Chitra) and Munaf Patel at the other end

Completely lacking in emotions and expression.

Very few songs of him capture this aspect.

Plum
6th November 2009, 05:48 PM
Plum,

In case you are pressed for time, here is my recommended list. Of course this reflects my preference but you can try it.

1. Yenidu Yenidu, Mudhalane Baari (Nannavanu)
2. Enge Nee Sendralum, Pudhu Pournami Nilavu (Kannukulle)
3. Chendulli Chendulli, Nannane Noduvanu (Bagyada Balegara)
4. Nilavu Varum Neram, Ponmani Theril, Puthadu Poovu (Jaganmohini)
5. Unnai Patri Sonnal, Yezhaikinda (Mathiya Chennai)
6. Rangu Rangu, Shringara Bangara, Kogile Koogu Baa (Prem Kahani)
7. Tum Bhi Doondna, Jhoom Jhoom (Chal Chalein)

And if you get time: The whole of Prem Kahani and Chal Chalein, Ilavayasu, Un Vazhve (Madhiya Chennai), Muthututu (Nannavanu), Naan Piranda (Kannukulle)

Yup. Looks like this is one of the biggest years since sometime in the 90s and it has been a lovely year till now. Waiting for Pa and then probably Suryakanthi.

Thanks Suresh. Download-nu vandhuttA whole album download paNNiduvEn. Computerla ukkarndhu paarka dhaan time illai veetila.

Plum
6th November 2009, 05:50 PM
Sanjeevi, Plum

Definitely I have bias "for" SPB/KJY/TMS/MV/PJ/IR but honestly I don't have any bias "against" the next gen.

Just that they don't seem to fit well in IR songs.

ஹரிஹரனே தேவலை இந்தப்பசங்களுக்கு.

Karthik was tolerable for a classic like 'oLiyilE, therivadhu dEvadhiayA' because of the movie's context (school boy), though I often get irritated by his "from inside the well" kind of singing in that song. (Or the "four-days-not-eaten-feel").

If he is the "in-thing-heart-throb-of-youngsters" in current field and has to be used, Raja, please use the 'voice multiplying technology' (like prelude of dEvanin kOvil of aRuvadai nAL), at least for parts of the song!

I think this is what HJ and others do to mask the inabilities of these singers.

App, karthik is a stand out in the current generation. He is not being used properly by either IR or Rahman. Listen to his nendhukittEn under Rahman(his first song) and kaadhal saadhi under IR. Solid performer. I wouldnt really club him with the rest of his contemporaries. Infact, post-SPB generation, no holds barred, he is the best.

Plum
6th November 2009, 05:51 PM
a good listener can clearly establish the difference in both their voices...

Ofcourse, we can. SPB sings with expression, Mano doesnt. :-)

kameshratnam
6th November 2009, 07:29 PM
Mano :evil:

"adi neeyE baliyAga varugindra pENmaiyE"
- edhAvadhu unarchi irukkA andha line-la?

"nE oru kAAdhdhdhal sangeddhhdhdham"
- It is like having Sachin batting at one end(Chitra) and Munaf Patel at the other end

Completely lacking in emotions and expression.

Very few songs of him capture this aspect.

PLUM: By saying this u are downgrading IR..he was not a fool to give these songs to Mano and i am sure every tom dick harry who sing under IR give these expressions...

Nee oru Kadal Sangeetham: We dont find any issues with it and the song is as pleasant as any other number sung by K J yesudas or SPB

AravindMano
6th November 2009, 07:31 PM
I dont mean any offence to Mano, but it doesnt work for me. I find him better in his later days.

Idhayaththai thirudaadhey songs :? Naan adha ketkaadhadhukku kaaraNamae Mano dhaan.

Plum
6th November 2009, 08:00 PM
I dont mean any offence to Mano, but it doesnt work for me. I find him better in his later days.

Idhayaththai thirudaadhey songs :? Naan adha ketkaadhadhukku kaaraNamae Mano dhaan.

nAnga namba mAttOm. You like Mano so much that you made it part of your user name ;-)

Plum
6th November 2009, 08:01 PM
Rathnamji, IR made a mistake by giving those songs to Mano. This is my opinion. This doesnt make me more intelligent than IR. It is just my opinion.

app_engine
6th November 2009, 08:15 PM
Mano's best performance : Singaravelan (IR did a good job there as the producer. I wish he pursued that route...could have given Vivek a run for his money) :-)

Sureshs65
6th November 2009, 08:17 PM
Plum,

I will play it safe by agreeing with you and app_eng :) reg karthik. If the playing field is the like of Tippu, Madhu B, Vijay Jesudas, Krish etc, I will say that he is definitely better than them. Though I am not sure if I will say he is better than Rahul Nambiyar, who is been doing a good job. Ofcourse I love Karthik's songs in Kadha Jaathi. Excellent stuff.

Having said that I would still agree with app that there is some energy which is lacking and also he doesn't project an individuality. We may have differing opinions on the skills of Hariharan or Shankar M but we cannot refuse them their individuality. That is where I find Karthik lacking a bit.

If I were to take a song like 'Swapnangal Kannezhudiya' and replace Rahul N with Karthik would it make much of a difference? I don't think so. And therein probably lies the problem.

Sureshs65
6th November 2009, 08:19 PM
app_eng,

I guess you are wishing Mano had pursued the Vivek route and not IR :lol:

popeye11
6th November 2009, 08:37 PM
First Song Out in Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrOcSTg5XsY

anegan
6th November 2009, 08:43 PM
First Song Out in Youtube

This is a love at first hearing song. I just loved it. Looks like they have played with the words... though I don't understand even a bit.

Way to go Raaja.

app_engine
6th November 2009, 08:47 PM
Sureshs65,

Actually I like Mano's voice and singing.

There was this program on IR in DD years ago where many shared their opinions. Mano sang the then popular 'thooLiyilE Ada vandha vAnaththu min viLakkE' which was so good.

The problem is it was 100 times better than what's in the chinnaththambi cassette. IMO, he had some inexplicable awe for IR and whenever he sang in the studio it negatively affected the emotions needed for the song. (This is only my theory :-) Point to be noted that the songs he sang for other MDs have much better bhAvam)

That way, even though he sang tons of hits for IR, fails to get into my list of better male singers of IR. However, any day, I'll take him in place of HH and the current sensations :-)

Sureshs65
6th November 2009, 10:17 PM
app_eng,

I am sort of 50-50 with singers like Mano and Arunmozhi. I too would not rate them as all time great singers but they have their nice songs.

Sureshs65
6th November 2009, 10:23 PM
popeye,

Thanks for the link. As anegan, I too am in love with this song. Seems to be based on Mohanam. Only the Pallavi is given and some phrases remind me of some Tamil song. Unable to place my finger on it yet. Waiting even more eagerly for the music. Release it soon, Paaaaaa!!!

popeye11
6th November 2009, 10:35 PM
Suresh,

Absolutely, the tune is so catchy and yea i have the same feel about the tamil song but cant figure out wat it is

raagas
6th November 2009, 10:42 PM

Mudee Mudee song from Paa. It doesnt sound like a rehash. it sounds so damn modern and youthful. Cant believe IR composed it. Lookslike he beats his age... taking inspiration from AB :)

writeface
6th November 2009, 10:46 PM
How about the "na naa na.."? :-)

Sureshs65
6th November 2009, 11:05 PM
raagas,

Yup. It is not a rehash. It is just that during 'kyun mudi udi', there is a tinge of some tune that I have heard or maybe it is that Mohanam touch which comes there which makes think of some other song.

No. It doesn't matter. As you say, amazingly youthful song.

vigneshram
6th November 2009, 11:07 PM
While humming, I end up with 'Ninnukkori varnam"

tvsankar
6th November 2009, 11:14 PM
Mohanam ragam ??? Adhanala indha feelings a irukum......

tvsankar
6th November 2009, 11:14 PM
Enaku - Kaathiurndhen thaniyae - song dhan
nyabagam vandhadhu...

kiru
7th November 2009, 01:26 AM
.It is just that during 'kyun mudi udi', there is a tinge of some tune that I have heard ...
Exactly the same place I had the same feelings..Suresh, you seem to be speaking my mind many a times :-) I have stopped posting mainly because of you :-)
Dont you guys think the orchestration is minimal ? Maybe it picks up during the course of the song.

DeepTrance
7th November 2009, 04:48 AM
While humming, I end up with 'Ninnukkori varnam"
I agree. Especially if you go ... "azhagiye raghuvarane anu dhinamum" and you can effortlessly loop back into "mudi mudi"
I wouldn't have been able to find it unless I was looking for it though. :)

cry_sandiego
7th November 2009, 05:56 AM
mudi mudi.. Pretty catchy.. sounds youthful..picturization looks OK.. I would love to hear from someone in their mid/early 20's to see how much they like this.. If they do, then IR has proved that he is timeless atleast for this year..

and good work by the marketing team in using this clip fro the teaser.. Not sure if the Amitabh sound at the end is part of the song or a clip mixed..

does not look like a re-hash.. On repeated hearings of the first 1 minute in Youtbe reminds me of Dheemi Dheemi se zindhagi me. koyi.. song from Shiva 2006.

Cheers
MSK

cry_sandiego
7th November 2009, 05:59 AM
by the way, who is the singer?

MumbaiRamki
7th November 2009, 06:46 AM
There is jazzy , zingy feel to the whole song and the editing is top class for a romantic montage song :)

2009 - hopefully Paa will be on the top !

ramk1
7th November 2009, 09:05 AM
After a long long time, the answer to our prayers. A song which is so modern and yet so catchy, and combined with a great picturization..and yet so simple in its orchestration. Cant believe this guy is over 60. Way to go Raja sir.

raagas
7th November 2009, 09:49 AM
Its sung by Shilpa Rao. Picturisation is wonderful.I mean,production values are very much good.

The only disappointing thing is that there seems to be 3 versions of same song, each of 2 and half mins may be. So that reduces the actual number of compositions.

But Suresh... As you rightly said...there is a de ja vu. And after humming a lot.. i feel like yelling the following:

GUYS..its the same piece from India 24hrs, which has been reused as Pudhu Pournami.. The lead line is so damn similar...it later changes but modelled on same tune... Just hum along pudhu pournami and see... Man..this guy is amazing..

Vkrish
7th November 2009, 12:38 PM
Looks like "Paa" releasing Nov 13th ... :)

http://bollywood.com/paa-emotional-film-director

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5sQ43iPJo

Sureshs65
7th November 2009, 05:55 PM
raagas,

It is awe inspiring how this can weave so many fabrics using a small thread!!!

Sureshs65
7th November 2009, 05:56 PM
It should read, "It is awe inspiring how man this can weave so many fabrics using a small thread!!!"

kameshratnam
7th November 2009, 06:46 PM
How about Naa thanga roja from time..for me some lines resemble that song

raagas
8th November 2009, 09:39 AM
Looks like "Paa" releasing Nov 13th ... :)

http://bollywood.com/paa-emotional-film-director

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5sQ43iPJo

the movie website says the film is releasing on Dec 4th. So what is this nov 13th. my guess is that the date could be for music release.

p
8th November 2009, 10:29 AM
பழசிராஜா தமிழ் டிரெய்லர்
http://tinyurl.com/prajatamil

AravindMano
8th November 2009, 03:28 PM

nAnga namba mAttOm. You like Mano so much that you made it part of your user name ;-)

Ippadi oru kaLangama. 'Um' nu oru vaartha sollunga, but en peraa irundhaa maaththiduven. Engappa per. oNNum paNNa mudiyaadhu. Username maaththa mudiyumnaa kaNdippaa maaththidren :lol:

sivasub
8th November 2009, 06:00 PM

Mudee Mudee song from Paa. It doesnt sound like a rehash. it sounds so damn modern and youthful. Cant believe IR composed it. Lookslike he beats his age... taking inspiration from AB :)

It sounds like the pallavi of some song, very popular sung by SPB. Unable to get the charanam. Will post it when I get it

I got it now... for me it sounds like Madhai thirandhu from Nizhalgal

Hulkster
8th November 2009, 06:24 PM
Unnuma yentha paathu remake penaar nu kandupidikka mudiyavilleiya? That proves how powerful thalaivar is when it comes to relayering his own songs, you know its from somewhere but you dunt know what it is until someone tells you. :lol2:

Mudi Mudi has a very catchy feel to it, flowing in and out endlessly like a stream and the beats have a very mild touch to them and good use of synth to create a slight jazz feel.

irir123
9th November 2009, 12:09 AM
guys - a british film n music critic happened to watch PR clips on youtube - went ballistic! is now in touch wth me n is asking how the heck a guy wth over 800 films to his credit is virtually unknown in the UK ?!

more later with better news!

Sureshs65
9th November 2009, 08:55 AM
irir123,

Vaazhga ungal thondu. I do wish the efforts you are putting in bear fruit.

irir123
9th November 2009, 11:16 AM
sureshs65 - pls chk ur PM

Plum
9th November 2009, 11:18 AM

Ippadi oru kaLangama. 'Um' nu oru vaartha sollunga, but en peraa irundhaa maaththiduven. Engappa per. oNNum paNNa mudiyaadhu. Username maaththa mudiyumnaa kaNdippaa maaththidren :lol:

oops I didnt mean to touch so personal a chord. Was just kidding, AM. Appreciate your good humour and spirits in taking it lightly :-)

AravindMano
9th November 2009, 11:43 AM

oops I didnt mean to touch so personal a chord. Was just kidding, AM. Appreciate your good humour and spirits in taking it lightly :-)

Thanks, ofcourse i know it should be taken in a light vein :) After all namma ellaam Meera jasmine-oda fans, Raaja-voda AC! ;)

Plum
9th November 2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks, ofcourse i know it should be taken in a light vein :) After all namma ellaam Meera jasmine-oda fans, Raaja-voda AC! ;)

Latter part-la neraiya friends iruppAnga. For the former part, it is probably only you and me so yes, I understand ;-)

Sureshs65
9th November 2009, 12:16 PM
Latter part-la neraiya friends iruppAnga. For the former part, it is probably only you and me so yes, I understand ;-)

Hmmm. So between two of you, you want to hijack Meera Jasmine. I am sure she has fans atleast in double digits :)

Bala (Karthik)
9th November 2009, 01:44 PM

Mudee Mudee song from Paa. It doesnt sound like a rehash. it sounds so damn modern and youthful. Cant believe IR composed it. Lookslike he beats his age...
:cool2:
More importantly, i guess it might be accessible for N.I audience

Sureshs65
9th November 2009, 03:00 PM
Jeyamohan in his blog wrote ( http://jeyamohan.in/?p=4904)

இளையராஜாவின் இசையில் பாடல்கள் பிரபலமாகின. ஒரு பாடல் மலையாளத்தின் எக்காலத்திலும் சிறந்த பாடல்களில் ஒன்று என்று விமரிசகர்கள் எழுதுகிறார்கள்.

Is he talking about the 'kunnathe' song or 'adiushas' song?

vssathish
9th November 2009, 04:50 PM
Check out www.paathefilm.com

PAA audio release on Nov 12th (Thursday)

MADDY
9th November 2009, 05:22 PM

Mudee Mudee song from Paa. It doesnt sound like a rehash. it sounds so damn modern and youthful. Cant believe IR composed it. Lookslike he beats his age...
:cool2:
More importantly, i guess it might be accessible for N.I audience

:yes: .......this song is excellent but reminds a bit of my all time fav "ninnukori varnam(Agni.N)........

i liked Cheeni Kum (movie and BGM) a lot......expecting a lot from this movie as well :D .....was cheeni kum BGM scored by IR?

krish244
9th November 2009, 05:28 PM
Check out www.paathefilm.com

PAA audio release on Nov 12th (Thursday)

Great! Looking forward to the songs.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
9th November 2009, 05:33 PM
.....was cheeni kum BGM scored by IR?

Yes Maddy! IR did the BGM for CK. As Balki himself says, IR is one of the few composers who does the BGM as well. I think, there are only a few movies in his entire repertoire for which he did not score the BGM.

thanks,

Krishnan

Sureshs65
9th November 2009, 06:11 PM
The Mohanam tinge in this song is what reminds people of songs like 'Ninukori', 'Katirunden thaniye' etc. Still it is a very different face of Mohanam that we see here.

AravindMano
9th November 2009, 06:21 PM
The Mohanam tinge in this song is what reminds people of songs like 'Ninukori', 'Katirunden thaniye' etc. Still it is a very different face of Mohanam that we see here.

Which film?

There is one more very familiar song. evLo kasakkiyum mooLaiyila sikkala.

Sureshs65
9th November 2009, 06:32 PM
'katirunden thaniye' is from Rasamagan.

AravindMano
9th November 2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks Suresh.

MADDY
9th November 2009, 07:55 PM
.....was cheeni kum BGM scored by IR?

Yes Maddy! IR did the BGM for CK

oh, thanks Krish....

CK BGM was very freaky.....if i recollect, there were some scintillating guitar notes (hardly surprising isnt it) :D .....

rooky
9th November 2009, 08:56 PM
Release updates...

PazhassiRaja(Tamil)-13th Nov,
Madhiyachennai(Tamil) -27th Nov,
Paa (Hindi)- 4th Dec
Suryakanthi (Kannada) -4th Dec

SVN
9th November 2009, 09:32 PM
Could Mudi Mudi be gliding into Mohanam's shruti bedham, i.e. Madhyamavathi? It all depends on what we keep as the base note... I guess I need to hear the entire song to know more;)

kiru
10th November 2009, 09:41 AM
Weird..re: mathiya chennai - unnai paRRi sonnAl seems to have a Rehmanish feel and Ezhaikkindha ulagam seems like a MSV/TMS song given a Rajaish makeover ???

crvenky
10th November 2009, 10:18 AM
Upcoming movies:

http://popcorn.oneindia.in/artist-upcoming-movies/1960/5/ilayaraja.html

There are some Telugu and Hindi movies, I am hearing for the first time. And some names are missing.

Sureshs65
10th November 2009, 12:05 PM
kiru,

'unnai patri sonnal' is a agmark Raja song. The predecessors for this song can be found more in Raja's Malayalam work than in Tamil I think. Check out the jazzy orchestration for the songs like 'sharadendu paadi', 'punnara poo', 'sivamallipoove' and you will realize that 'unnai patri sonnal' belongs to that category. That ofcourse is the problem with Raja. He has done so much in so many languages, that many songs lie hidden elsewhere.

Sureshs65
10th November 2009, 12:11 PM
kiru,

Reg Ezhaikinda song, I think you get the MSV feel more because of the lyrics, which seem to be very close to what Kannadasan would have written. The twisting pallavi is clearly a typical Raja construct. The charanams are made simple though.

cry_sandiego
10th November 2009, 03:38 PM
here is J's reply to Suresh's query regarding PR song

அன்புள்ள சுரேஷ்

பாடல்களைப்பற்றிய என் கருத்துக்களை நான் சொல்லவில்லை. நான் அப்படத்தின் பகுதியாகச் செயல்பட்டவன் என்றமுறையில் அப்படிச்சொல்வது சரியாக இருக்காது. பொதுவான விமரிசனங்களைச் சொன்னேன்.

குந்நத்தே கொந்நய்க்கும் என்ற பாடல் இளையராஜா அமைத்த பாடல்களிலேயே மிக வித்தியாசமானது. இளையராஜாவின் பெரும்பாலான சிறந்தபாடல்கள் சுத்தமான தாளக்கட்டுடன் இருக்கும். தாளம் நம்மைக்கவரும் அம்சங்களில் முக்கியமானதாக இருக்கும். பொதுவாகவே நம்மை உடனடியாகக் கவரும் பாடல்கள் தாளத்தாலேயே அந்த ஈர்ப்பை நிகழ்த்துகின்றன

குந்நத்தே கொந்நய்க்கும் தாளம் முக்கியமே இல்லாத பாடல். தாளம் இல்லாத ஒரு சுய ரீங்காரம் போலிருக்கிறது. விதவிதமான ஏற்ற இறக்கங்களினாலேயே அந்தப்பாடல் அதன் இன்னிசையை அடைந்திருக்கிறது. கேட்கும்தோறும் அந்த இன்னிசைமெட்டின் பல அடுக்குகள் தெரியவரும் என இசை தெரிந்த நண்பர்கள் சொன்னார்கள்

அந்தப்பாடலின் முகப்பில் உள்ள இசைக்கோர்ப்பும் மிக நுட்பமானதாக, பழைய கேரள நரம்புவாத்திய இசையின் சாயல்களுடன் உள்ளது என்றார்கள்

ஜெ

Sureshs65
10th November 2009, 04:00 PM
Thanks MSK for posting the reply. I didn't know it came on his blog. Thought he had sent a reply to me directly.

cry_sandiego
10th November 2009, 04:47 PM
Suresh.,

Sure.. Interesting observation reg Kunnathe's rythm. Would love to hear someone explain it to less knowledgeable folks like me..

Cheers
MSK

krish244
10th November 2009, 04:48 PM
Sigappu Rojakkal to be remade by Bharathiraja's son Manoj:

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/nov-09-02/manoj-bharathi-raja-sigappu-rojakal-10-11-09.html

Yuvan is the MD

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
10th November 2009, 05:51 PM
கேட்கும்தோறும் அந்த இன்னிசைமெட்டின் பல அடுக்குகள் தெரியவரும் என இசை தெரிந்த நண்பர்கள் சொன்னார்கள்

ஜெ

இதுல பாருங்க ஆச்சரியம் என்னான்னா ஜெமோவுக்கும், பழ'சாரு'வுக்கும் இசை அறிந்த பொது நன்பர்களில் 'ஷாஜி' ஒருத்தர்! :D

raagas
10th November 2009, 07:27 PM
Paa music to be out on Nov 14th (Children's Day), instead of Nov 12th - Abhishek Bacchan on Twitter.

app_engine
10th November 2009, 08:02 PM
Well, the thALam / rhythm arrangements of the saraNam part of kunnaththE is one of the very new offerings (new "concoction") of IR as per my observation. I don't think I have heard anything similar from him before.

OTOH, we read a totally different view from Jeyamohan / his friends.

rs, who knows, Charu may be enjoying IR's music himself privately but has a perverted agenda to bash him on his website (possibly to ensure eruption of controversy, more traffic etc.)

I think Gnani also falls into the same category when it comes to IR bashing (kuRai kooRippeyaredukkum pulavar). However, since he has a 'vehu jana paththirikai' to get huge audience, doesn't get into IR bashing that often.

Sanjeevi
10th November 2009, 08:09 PM
அந்தப்பாடலின் முகப்பில் உள்ள இசைக்கோர்ப்பும் மிக நுட்பமானதாக, பழைய கேரள நரம்புவாத்திய இசையின் சாயல்களுடன் உள்ளது என்றார்கள்
ஜெ

Pre-Lude?

And JM has given a link to this thread also by Suresh

Plum
10th November 2009, 08:34 PM
I kind of agree. The rhythm in Kunnathe seems less of rhythm and more as part of the melody itself. This is a very lay man view, and I think that's what Jeyamohan is saying.

Sanjeevi
10th November 2009, 10:28 PM
<dig>Anyone read JM's Vishnupuram. How it is?</dig>

Sureshs65
10th November 2009, 10:56 PM
Sanjeevi,

<Reply to dig> I have read more than half of it. I found it to be very good. Same with 'Kotravai'. Read his 'Kaadu' and 'Rubber' fully. Liked 'Kaadu more. More than his novels I like his short novels and short stories. <End reply to dig>

krish244
11th November 2009, 04:39 PM
I think the below news means that audio (of "Om Shanti Om" (telugu movie)) will be released on Nov 27th

http://www.cinegoer.com/telugu-cinema/news-archives/november-2009/om-shanti-logo-release-on-november-18th-111109.html

thanks,

Krishnan

raagas
11th November 2009, 10:20 PM
Naan Kadavul, Nandalaala, Bhagyadevatha, Azhagarmalai, Nannavanu, Valmeeki, Prem Kahani, Bhagyatha Balegara, Kaathal Kathai, Jagan Mohini, Kannukkulle, Pazhassi Raaja, Mathiya Chennai.

With the upcoming Paa and telugu film Om Shanti... the number in 2009 is 15.

Thats a feat!Phenomenal feat. not just for the quantity, but also for the quality.ilaiyaraaja! take a bow! :notworthy:

waiting for Paa & Om Shanti to completely validate my above statement :)

jaiganes
11th November 2009, 10:33 PM
Naan Kadavul, Nandalaala, Bhagyadevatha, Azhagarmalai, Nannavanu, Valmeeki, Prem Kahani, Bhagyatha Balegara, Kaathal Kathai, Jagan Mohini, Kannukkulle, Pazhassi Raaja, Mathiya Chennai.

With the upcoming Paa... the number in 2009 is 14.

Thats a feat!Phenomenal feat. not just for the quantity, but also for the quality.ilaiyaraaja! take a bow! :notworthy:
you left out chal chalein - a sweet little sugar princess of an album

jaiganes
11th November 2009, 10:35 PM
next year looks even interesting with a Balu mahendra movie + Happi + SRK (long awaited) + Soorya kanthi...
500 adichum outu aagala tendulkar dhaan nammaalu.

raagas
11th November 2009, 10:37 PM
yaa Jaiganes.. i left even Om Shanti..presuming it is releasing this month..

So..it is going to be 16.

ramk1
11th November 2009, 11:41 PM
Looks like there has been a real good marketing campaign going on for PAA and it is probably the first time an IR film in Hindi has generated this much of interest. Added to that the song bit in youtube also has been liked by many. Let us all pray that this movie succeeds as it need to be and hope our IR's visibility in the north also increases.

p
12th November 2009, 12:21 AM
மற்றொரு பாட்டும் தமிழில் பழசிராஜாவில் இல்லை :(

http://jeyamohan.in/?p=5025

eagle
12th November 2009, 12:24 AM
(or sax played on the synthesizer)

:(

Disclaimer - I totally agree that not many of us are musically qualified to give "suggestions" to IR (definitely not me). So, please read the following without prejudice. Simply 'Adhangams'.

After enjoying the music of PR for the last few weeks (and many of IR's 70s / 80s wonders during the last few months continuously), I've compiled a list of "expectations" for IR.

This has been further strengthened by listening to songs from his recent chal chalEin, kaNNukkuLLE, azhagar malai, vAlmeeki etc.

And watching parts of "sound of music" for two three nights after a year or so had further emphasized these.

1. Stop replacing traditional instrument sounds with the cheaper ones from tronics :-( Electronically "processing" the sound of live instruments further is fine but the source has to be non-electronic!

2. Use "non-standard" sounds from synth freely but never any "standard" sound from synth (like that of violin, trumpet , guitar etc). May be I'm repeating here but I'm simply struck on this :-(

3. Boost bass

4. Get masculine singers for male voices, esp in Thamizh (MFM / indhi are ok). Or use 'iLa manasonnu Rekka kattippaRakkudhu' technology to grandify it. (ref - 'adi AththAdi' of kadalOrakkavidhaigaL)

5. Don't compromise on recording standards (even cheap competition "sounds" great thanks to "gold plating", why coat pure gold with mud)

6. Dump keech-keech / Usha Uthup wannabe female singers (I don't mind if KSC / Shreya G sing all songs with an occasional Manjari number)

7. Dump all (or most of) the current lyricists of TFM :-( Find another VM - didn't you intro him in the first place? - or reconcile with him. Alternately, do more of non-TFM that we won't understand fully :-) Use classic Thamizh literature wherever possible. 100% instrumental would be even better :-)

8. Throw away the tsk-tsk drum pad

Simply you could have summed up in one single sentence "quit film music for once and all"

Listen to paa's trailer music.... pure gold... i am waiting for songs... sure its going to be a big time letdown...

why cant we people realize that his music without lyrics, with out some one singing can be quite evocative, grand, expressive..... i am running out of adjectives....

You can very well say paa is again a film music... but only if you see my point...

app_engine
12th November 2009, 12:36 AM
[tscii:1ae617366e]

Nice reply by Jeyamohan!

This part is really interesting :

நான் அறிந்த வரை ஹரிஹரன் இளையராஜாவின் தீவிர ரசிகர். ஏனென்றால் முறைப்படி இசை கற்றவர். இசைப்படங்கள் எடுத்தவர். அவரே இசையமைக்கும் அளவுக்கு ஞானம் உள்ளவர். பாடல்கள் விடுபடுவது அவருக்கு சற்றும் உகக்கவில்லை. மேலும் அப்பாடல்களை மிகக் கடுமையான உழைப்பில் எடுத்திருந்தார். ‘ஆழியடங்கம் அமைத்தவனல்லே’ என்ற இஸ்லாமியப்பாடல் மட்டும் ஒருமாதம் எடுக்கப்பட்டது.அது ஹரிஹரனுக்கும் ஒரு ‘மாஸ்டர் பீஸ்’ ஆனால் சினிமா என்பதே கடைசியில் வெட்டுத்தொகுப்பு மேடையில் உருவாவது. அங்கே இயக்குநர் கூட பின்னால்சென்றே ஆகவேண்டும்.

அவற்றையும் மீறி இளையராஜா நான்கடவுளையும் பழசிராஜாவையும் தூக்கி நிறுத்தியிருக்கிறார் என்பதே உண்மை–பின்னணி இசையில் உணர்ச்சிகளை நிறுத்திக்காட்டியிருக்கிறார். உணர்வுத் தொடர்ச்சியை உருவாக்கியிருக்கிறார். நான் கடவுளில் பாடல்களைப்போலவே அருமையான இடங்கள் பின்னணி இசையில் பலமுறை வந்துசென்றன. அதேதான் பழசிராஜாவிலும். அவை சாதாரண ரசிகனால் கவனிக்கப்படுவதில்லை. பலமுறை பார்ப்பதால்தான் என் போன்ற எளிய ரசிகன் கவனத்தில் வருகின்றன.

‘நான்கடவுளில்’ எல்லா இசைத்துணுக்கும் இளையராஜாவுடையதே. இணை இசை என்பதெல்லாம் பிழை. ராஜாவிடம் எவருமே அப்படி வேலைசெய்ய முடியாதென தெரிந்தவர்கள் அறிவார்கள். பாட்டில் என்ன இருக்கிறது என்பது கடைசி ஒலிப்பதிவின்போதே தெரியவரும். அதுவரை பாடகனும் ஓர் இசைக்கருவி போலத்தான்.

[/tscii:1ae617366e]

eagle
12th November 2009, 12:38 AM
mudi mudi.. Pretty catchy.. sounds youthful..picturization looks OK.. I would love to hear from someone in their mid/early 20's to see how much they like this.. If they do, then IR has proved that he is timeless atleast for this year..

and good work by the marketing team in using this clip fro the teaser.. Not sure if the Amitabh sound at the end is part of the song or a clip mixed..

does not look like a re-hash.. On repeated hearings of the first 1 minute in Youtbe reminds me of Dheemi Dheemi se zindhagi me. koyi.. song from Shiva 2006.

Cheers
MSK

Dont degrade him... so what if the youth today dont feel like the song? will he become or his compositions become outdated?
look around how many youngsters you find listening to timeless compositions...

app_engine
12th November 2009, 12:44 AM
eagle,

I'm with you :-)

Going by Jeyamohan's post, if "song albums" in general get disconnected from movies some day in the future (as in the west), there will be a lot more focus on both forms of music (i.e. independent albums & OST).

Actually IR can do three kinds of music then - OST, independent instrumental album & independent song videos (less of the third as stage shows play a big role in promo of these and IR is not getting younger)!

eagle
12th November 2009, 12:52 AM
[tscii:b5adf84815]

Nice reply by Jeyamohan!

This part is really interesting :

நான் அறிந்த வரை ஹரிஹரன் இளையராஜாவின் தீவிர ரசிகர். ஏனென்றால் முறைப்படி இசை கற்றவர். இசைப்படங்கள் எடுத்தவர். அவரே இசையமைக்கும் அளவுக்கு ஞானம் உள்ளவர். பாடல்கள் விடுபடுவது அவருக்கு சற்றும் உகக்கவில்லை. மேலும் அப்பாடல்களை மிகக் கடுமையான உழைப்பில் எடுத்திருந்தார். ‘ஆழியடங்கம் அமைத்தவனல்லே’ என்ற இஸ்லாமியப்பாடல் மட்டும் ஒருமாதம் எடுக்கப்பட்டது.அது ஹரிஹரனுக்கும் ஒரு ‘மாஸ்டர் பீஸ்’ ஆனால் சினிமா என்பதே கடைசியில் வெட்டுத்தொகுப்பு மேடையில் உருவாவது. அங்கே இயக்குநர் கூட பின்னால்சென்றே ஆகவேண்டும்.

அவற்றையும் மீறி இளையராஜா நான்கடவுளையும் பழசிராஜாவையும் தூக்கி நிறுத்தியிருக்கிறார் என்பதே உண்மை–பின்னணி இசையில் உணர்ச்சிகளை நிறுத்திக்காட்டியிருக்கிறார். உணர்வுத் தொடர்ச்சியை உருவாக்கியிருக்கிறார். நான் கடவுளில் பாடல்களைப்போலவே அருமையான இடங்கள் பின்னணி இசையில் பலமுறை வந்துசென்றன. அதேதான் பழசிராஜாவிலும். அவை சாதாரண ரசிகனால் கவனிக்கப்படுவதில்லை. பலமுறை பார்ப்பதால்தான் என் போன்ற எளிய ரசிகன் கவனத்தில் வருகின்றன.

‘நான்கடவுளில்’ எல்லா இசைத்துணுக்கும் இளையராஜாவுடையதே. இணை இசை என்பதெல்லாம் பிழை. ராஜாவிடம் எவருமே அப்படி வேலைசெய்ய முடியாதென தெரிந்தவர்கள் அறிவார்கள். பாட்டில் என்ன இருக்கிறது என்பது கடைசி ஒலிப்பதிவின்போதே தெரியவரும். அதுவரை பாடகனும் ஓர் இசைக்கருவி போலத்தான்.

[/tscii:b5adf84815]

You left out a important piece of the article

"பா’ படத்தின் trailer (or teaser) மியூசிக் கேட்டீர்களா? கண்ணில் கண்ணீர் வருகிறது."

I felt the same way... Its the power of his music... on the first hearing its misleading ( i am unable to pin point the reason but it sounds merrier... ) but later u realize that there is an inherent sadness in the tune and the orchestration... now tell me is there any lyricist be it vairamuthu or anybody who can express that in words?

eagle
12th November 2009, 01:16 AM
Well, the thALam / rhythm arrangements of the saraNam part of kunnaththE is one of the very new offerings (new "concoction") of IR as per my observation. I don't think I have heard anything similar from him before.

OTOH, we read a totally different view from Jeyamohan / his friends.

rs, who knows, Charu may be enjoying IR's music himself privately but has a perverted agenda to bash him on his website (possibly to ensure eruption of controversy, more traffic etc.)

I think Gnani also falls into the same category when it comes to IR bashing (kuRai kooRippeyaredukkum pulavar). However, since he has a 'vehu jana paththirikai' to get huge audience, doesn't get into IR bashing that often.

முடிந்தவற்றை கிளரும் விருப்பம் இல்லையென்றாலும் ஒரு தகவலுக்கு சொல்லி வைக்கிறேன் ஞானிக்கு இசைஞானியுடன் உள்ள மனத்தாங்கல் அவர் திருவாசகத்திற்கு உருகி இசை அமைத்தும் அவரது முற்றிலும் சமூக அக்கறை இல்லாத ஆன்மிக நாட்டமும்தான்... அதை நாம் ஒப்பு கொள்ள வேண்டிய அவசியம் இல்லை... நாம் புரிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டியது அது ஞானியின் இசை விமர்சனம் அல்ல....சாருவை போல் போலித்தனமாக அரபு இசையையோ லத்தின் அமெரிக்க இசையையோ ஒப்பிட்டு ராஜாவை அவர் விமர்சிக்கவில்லை மேலும் ராஜா திருவாசகத்தை விட மிக நன்றாக இசை அமைத்த சினிமா பாடல்கள் தனக்கு உவப்பானது என்றும் கூறியுள்ளார் அதே கட்டுரையில்... ( எனக்கும் அது ஒத்து போக கூடிய விமர்சனம் தான்...)

cry_sandiego
12th November 2009, 06:17 AM
Eagle, I was not trying or in any way mean to say that his compositions not being liked by today's youth is important. We folks and most of us hubbers here are very influenced by his earlier works spanning the last 25 years or more.. ( it's hard not to !! when you have 850+ movies ) - And people like me are biased or heavily convinced of his genius and that awe might stop me from evaluating his product objectively.. ) So if the youth today ( that is why i quoted someone who are in their early 20's ) would not have that bias mostly as they probably grew up with other more commercially popular MDs in the last 10-15 years. Plus the song sounded youthful - So if they like it, it is a testimony that he can provide songs that are liked by today's generation who have not heard his countless songs from the late 70's onwards.

Hope that clears it..

Cheers
MSK

AravindMano
12th November 2009, 10:32 AM
'Mausam' nu padam 2009 list irundhadhe :confused2: I remember someone brought it up saying Pankaj Kapoor's film nu, but we later decided that its 'Happi' indeed. (Directed by Bhavana, Pankaj acts in it)

But, I read a Shahid Kapoor's interview in which he said his dad is directing a film called 'Mausam'.

krish244
12th November 2009, 12:32 PM
Looks like Kamal and IR are going to sing "Ninaivo" and "indha minminikku" songs respectively for the remake of "Sigappu Rojaakkal".

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/nov-09-02/manoj-kamal-haasan-ilayaraja-12-11-09.html

I am wondering how Yuvan is going to present these songs i.e. as is (tune and orchestration) or something different? No idea.

thanks,

Krishnan

k_vanan
12th November 2009, 01:02 PM
mausam song "paa"

http://ishare.rediff.com/video/Entertainment/Exclusive!-Gumsum----new-song-from-Amitabhs-Paa/865986

Sanjeevi
12th November 2009, 02:30 PM
Aaha marupadiyuma :|

raagas
12th November 2009, 02:45 PM
Gum Sum song is a trendy rehash of "Thumbi Vaa" or the very famous "Mood in Kaapi".

AravindMano
12th November 2009, 02:50 PM
Gum Sum song is a trendy rehash of "Thumbi Vaa" or the very famous "Mood in Kaapi".

:shock: Why again?

AravindMano
12th November 2009, 03:04 PM
read from Orkut IR group..

---------------------------------------

ஒரு காது வழி செய்தி :

பா படத்தில் ''சங்கத்தில் பாடாத கவிதை'' மற்றும் ''புத்தம் புது காலை பொன்னிற'' பாடல்கள் புது பாடல்களாக வரும் என்று நம்பக தகுந்த வட்டாரத்தின் வழியாக என்காதுக்கு வந்துள்ளது. மற்ற 3 பாடல்கள் எல்லாம் புதிய பாடல்கள்.

--------------------------

Wish this news to be true.

Idhu uNmai dhaan pola! :P

uwithsankar
12th November 2009, 05:13 PM
http://mathimaran.wordpress.com/2009/03/18/article-177/
[tscii:13b93e6856]இளையராஜா பற்றி அ.மார்க்ஸ் + ‘தீராநதி’ அவதூறுகள்

தில்லை நடராஜன் மீது தீராத பத்தி கொண்டு இந்து மத அபிமானியாக – அப்பாவியாக வாழ்ந்தவர் நந்தனார். இருந்தும், `தீண்டப்படாதவர் யார்? அவர்கள் எவ்வாறு தீண்டப்படாதவர் ஆயினர்?’ என்ற நூலில் டாக்டர் அம்பேத்கர், முதல் பக்கத்திலேயே பின்வருமாறு அறிவிக்கிறார்:

`தீண்டப்படாதவரிடையே பிறந்து நமது பக்தியாலும், ஒழுக்க நலன்களாலும் அனைவரின் பெருமதிப்பைப் பெற்று புகழ்மிகு திருவருட்செல்வர்களாகத் திகழ்ந்த -நந்தனார், ரவிதாஸ், சொக்கமேளர் ஆகிய மூவர் நினைவுக்கு உரிமையாக்கப்பட்டது.’

புகழ்பெற்ற நடிகையும், பாடகியுமான கே.பி. சுந்தராம்பாள், சத்தியமூர்த்தி அய்யரோடு சேர்ந்து கொண்டு தந்தை பெரியாரையும், அவரது இயக்கத்தையும் மேடைதோறும் ஏறி திட்டித் தீர்த்தவர்; காங்கிரசுக்கு ஆதரவாகப் பிரச்சாரம் செய்தவர். அப்படியிருந்தும் பார்ப்பனப் பத்திரிகைகள், அவரது ஜாதியைக் குறிப்பிட்டுக் கேவலமாக எழுதியபோது, அதைக் கடுமையாகக் கண்டித்து, கே.பி.சுந்தராம்பாளை ஆதரித்தவர் பெரியார்.

இதுதான் பெரியார்-அம்பேத்கரின் சமூக நீதி அரசியலின் அடிப்படை. இந்த அடிப்படையில்தான், இளையராஜா பற்றிய டாக்டர் குணசேகரனின் விமர்சனக் கட்டுரையை ‘தலித் முரசு’ வெளியிட மறுத்தது. இது சமூக நீதி அரசியலின் பால பாடம்.

ஆனால், ‘இசை குறித்தும் எனக்குத் தெரியும்’ என்கிற தொனியில் – ‘இனி இளையராஜா எப்படி இசையமைக்க வேண்டும்’ என்று சொல்லுமளவிற்கு அ.மார்க்சின் அறியாமை, ‘தீராநதி’ கட்டுரையில் கொடிகட்டிப் பறந்தது. கூடவே திரித்தலும், பொய்த்தகவல்ககளும் இணையாகப் பறந்தன.

எடுத்துக் காட்டாக, `வேதம் புதிது போன்ற படங்களில் அவரின் சிறந்த திரை இசைகள் பல சமஸ்கிருத சுலோசங்களோடு குழைந்து வெளிப்பட்டதை மறந்து விட இயலுமா? இவற்றைக் கேட்கிற செவிகளுனூடாக ஏற்படுகிற உணர்வலைகள் எத்தன்மையானவை?` என்கிறார் அ.மார்க்ஸ்.

1. `வேதம் புதிது’ படத்தின் கதையமைப்புக்கு அப்படித்தான் இசையமைக்க வேண்டும். (‘கல்லூரி பாடத்திட்டம் பிற்போக்குத் தனமாக இருக்கிறது; அதை நான் போதிக்க மாட்டேன்’ என்று எந்த முற்போக்குப் பேராசிரியரும் முரண்டு பிடிப்பதில்லை.)

2. அந்தப் படத்திற்கு இசையமைத்தவர் இளையராஜா அல்ல. தேவேந்திரன்.

கட்டுரையின் இன்னொரு இடத்தில், `நாட்டுப்புற இசையைக் கூட அவர் சாஸ்திரியப் படுத்துகிறார். `பாடறியேன்… படிபப்றியேன்… எனத் தொடங்கி ‘மரி மரி நின்னே’ என முடியும் அவரது புகழ் பெற்ற திரை இசை” என்கிறார் அ. மார்க்ஸ்.

இளையராஜா மீதான இந்த அவதூறு அப்பட்டமான திரித்தலினால் வருவது. ‘பாடறியேன்… படிப்பறியேன்..’ என்கிற நாட்டுப்புறப் பாடலில் இருந்துதான் உங்களின் சாருமதி ராகம் வந்தது என்பதைதான் ‘மரி மரி நின்னே…’ வில் அவர் நிரூபித்தார்.

தாழ்த்தப்பட்டவர், நிறைந்த பக்தியோடு கோயிலின் கருவறைக்குள் நுழைந்து, கடவுள் மீது கை வைக்க ஆசைப்பட்டது மாதிரி, மிகவும் புனிதமானது கர்நாடக சங்கீதம், தெய்வாம்சம் பொருந்தியது, அதில் ஒரு திருத்தம் கூட செய்யக் கூடாது?’ என்று சனாதனவாதிகள் கொண்டாடிய அதே வார்த்தைகளோடும், அதே பக்தியோடும் உள்ளே சென்று, அந்தப் புனிதத்தில் கை வைத்து – ‘இதில் புனிதமும் இல்லை, புண்ணாக்கும் இல்லை’ என்று தன் இசையால் அந்தப் புனிதத்தை நடுத்தெருவில் போட்டுடைத்தார் இளையராஜா.

‘மரி மரி நின்னே…’ இந்தக் கீர்த்தனையை தியாகய்யர் காம்போதி ராகத்தில்தான் இயற்றி இருந்தார். ஆனால், இளையராஜா தன் அசாத்தியமான, துணிச்சலான இசைத் திறமையால், காம்போதியில் இருந்து ‘மரி மரி நின்னே…’ என்ற வார்த்தைகளை மட்டும் உருவி சாருமதியில் தான் உருவாக்கிய ராகத்தில் இட்டு நிரப்பினார்.

ஆம், தியாகய்யரையே மெட்டுக்குப் பாட்டெழுத வைத்தவர் இளையராஜா. சனாதன ஆதரவாளர் என்று சொல்லப்படும் இளையராஜாவின் இந்தச் செயலுக்கு, அவரைக் கொலை செய்யும் அளவுக்கு கோபத்தில் இருந்தனர் சனாதனவாதிகள் என்பது, சனாதன எதிர்ப்பாளரான அ.மார்க்சுக்கு எப்படித் தெரியாமல் போனது?

(உண்மையான பக்தியோட கோயிலுக்குள் நுழைய முயற்சித்த நந்தனைத்தானே கொளுத்தினார்கள். ஆம், நந்தன் தன்னை அறியாமலே செய்த கலகம் அது.)

எஸ்.என்.சுப்பையா நாயுடு, சுதர்சனம், ஜி.ராமநாதன், கே.வி.மகாதேவன், எம்.எஸ்.விஸ்வநாதன், சங்கர்-கணேஷ், இப்படி எல்லா இசையமைப்பாளர்களும் திரை இசைப் பாடலை கர்நாடக சங்கீத அடிப்படையில் தான் அமைத்தார்கள். அதன் தொடர்ச்சியாகத்தான் இளையராஜாவும் அதைச் செய்தார்.

மேற்சொன்ன அனைவரும் கர்நாடக இசை மரபுக்குள்ளேயே அடக்கி வாசித்தவர்கள். இளையராஜா ஒருவர்தான் திமிறி நின்றவர்.

அது மட்டுமின்றி, ‘தோடி, காம்போதி போன்றவை மிகக் கடினமான, உயரிய ராகங்கள். அதை மிக எளிமையாக எவனாலும் கையாள முடியாது’ என்ற மிரட்டலோடு இறுமார்ந்த கூட்டத்தைக் கேலி செய்வதுபோல் அந்த ராகங்களை மிகச் சாதாரணமாகக் கையாண்டு அதில், பம்பை, உடுக்கை, பறை போன்ற தமிழ் இசைக் கருவிகளை மிக அதிக அளவில் பயன்படுத்தி, அந்த ராகங்களின் புனிதத்தைப் பார்த்துக் கை கொட்டிச் சிரித்தவர் இளையராஜா. இந்த கலகத்தை அவர் திட்டமிட்டுச் செய்யவில்லை. அவர் இசை அறிவின் இயல்பான உணர்வு அது.

எடுத்துக்காட்டாக, ‘எல்லாம் இன்பமயம்’ படத்தில், `மாம(ன்) ஊடு மச்சு ஊடு’ என்ற கானாப் பாடலை, மோகனமும்+சங்கராபரணமும் கலந்த பிலஹரி ராகத்தில் அமைத்திருப்பார்.

ஆரோகணம் - ச ரி க ப த ச்

அவரோகணம் - ச நி த ப ம க ரி ச

(ஸ்வர ஜதி இதன் சாகித்தியம் – ரா ர வேணு கோபாலா)

இவைகளோடு அந்தப் பாடலின் மய்யமாக ஓடுவது, `வெஸ்டர்ன் கிளாசிக்கல்’. இவை எல்லாவற்றையும் விட அந்தப் பாடலை ஆக்கிரமிக்கும் வாத்தியக் கருவிகள் எவை தெரியுமா? உறுமியும், பறையும்.

ஆம், யாரும் தொட அஞ்சுகிற இந்தக் கடினமான ராகத்தை ‘மாம(ன்) ஊடு மச்சு ஊடு…’ என்று சேரிகளில் இருந்து ஒலிபெருக்கி மூலமாக மச்சு வீட்டு சங்கீத வித்வான் காதில் விழுந்த போது, அவரின் புனிதம் எப்படி பொல பொலத்துப் போனது என்று அ.மார்க்சுக்கு தெரியுமா? இது போல் நிறைய எடுத்துக் காட்டுகளைச் சொல்ல முடியும். கர்நாடக இசையில் இனி புதிதாக செய்வதற்கு ஒன்றுமில்லை என்கிற அளவிற்கு அதைச் சக்கையாக்கி வீசியவர் இளையராஜா ஒருவர்தான்.

ஆம், அவர் மேற்கத்திய இசையில் நின்று கொண்டுதான் கர்நாடக இசையைக் குனிந்து பார்க்கிறார். அதனால் தான் அவர் உலகின் தலை சிறந்த கலைஞர்களில் ஒருவராகத் திகழ்கிறார்.

கர்நாடக இசையின் உச்சத்தைச் சென்று அதை உலுக்கிய பிறகும், இளையராஜாவை சாஸ்திரிய இசை மேதைகள் புகழ்கிறார்கள் என்றால், இளையாரஜாவை, ‘வம்புக்காகவாவது’ அவரது இசை குறித்து அவதூறு சொன்னால், ‘தனக்கு இசை பற்றி தெரியாது’ என்று ஆகிவிடுமோ என்கிற பயமே காரணம். உண்மை இப்படி இருக்க, `சனாதன இசையில் இளையாராஜா காணாமல் போய்விட்டார்’ என்பது கற்பனை மட்டுமல்ல, பித்தலாட்டமும் கூட.

`மணியே, மணிக்குயிலே…’ (நாடோடித் தென்றல்) என்கிற பாடல் பின்னுக்குச் சென்று ரஹ்மானின் `சின்னச் சின்ன ஆசை (‘ரோஜா’) முன்னுக்கு வந்தது. ரசிக மதிப்பீட்டில் ராஜாவின் வீழ்ச்சி இப்படியாக வெளிப்பட்டது. உண்மையிலேயே ஒரு புயலாக ரஹ்மானின் பிரவேசம் அரங்கேறியது” என்கிறார் அ.மார்க்ஸ்.

`சின்னச் சின்ன ஆசை’யோடு `மணியே மணிக்குயிலே’ பாடலை ஒப்பிடுவதே அபத்தம். மிக அற்புதமான உணர்வுகளைத் தரக்கூடிய உன்னதமான பாடல் `மணியே மணிக்குயிலே’. இந்தப் பாடல் இடம்பெற்ற படம் `ரோஜா’ திரைப்படம் அளவிற்கு ஓடவில்லை என்பதால், `சின்னச் சின்ன ஆசை’ அளவிற்கு `மணியே மணிக்குயிலே..’ பிரபலமாகவில்லை.

ஒரு பாடலின் வெற்றி என்பது, பிரபலமாவதில் மட்டுமில்லை. அப்படிப் பார்த்தால், தமிழ் நாட்டின் மிகப் பெரிய அறிவாளி ரஜினிகாந்தாகத்தான் இருப்பார்.

`சின்னச் சின்ன ஆசை…’ பாடலை ரஹ்மான், அ.மார்க்ஸ் விரும்புவது போல் ஜாஸ், புநூஸ், நாட்டுப்புறப் பாடல்கள் சாயலில் அமைக்கவில்லை. `ஹரி கம்போதி’ என்கிற சாஸ்திரிய சங்கீத அடிப்படையில்தான் அமைத்தார். வீணையும், கஞ்சீராவும் அதில் முக்கியமான கருவிகள். இதைத்தான் ‘ஒரு புயலாக ரஹ்மானின் பிரவேசம் அரங்கேறியது’ என்கிறார் அ.மார்க்ஸ்.

இளையராஜாவிற்கு எதிராக ரஹ்மானை நிறுத்துவது, இளையராஜாவிற்கு எதிராக தேவாவை ஒப்பிடுவது என்பது ஒரு இசை ஒப்பீடாக இல்லை. (அவருடன் ஒப்பிடுவதற்கு இங்கு ஒருவரும் இல்லை) அ.மார்க்சின் இந்த ஒப்பீட்டில் அரசியல் இருக்கிறது.

அந்தக் காலத்தில், டாக்டர் அம்பேத்காருக்கு எதிராக எம்.சி.ராஜாவை நிறுத்திய தொனியிலேயே இளையராஜாவுக்கு எதிராக தேவா.

இந்தக் காலத்தில், டாக்டர் கே.ஆர்.நாராயணனுக்கு எதிராக அப்துல் கலாமை நிறுத்திய தொனியிலேயே இளையராஜாவுக்கு எதிராக ரஹ்மான். இந்த அரசியல்தான் அ.மார்க்சின் ஒப்பீட்டில் ஒளிந்திருக்கிறது.

இதை நிரூபிப்பது போல், “உலகத் தரத்துக்கு ஒப்பிட்டுச் சொல்லத் தக்க அளவில் ரஹ்மான், ஹாரிஸ் ஜெயராஜ் முதலானோர் இசைக் கட்டுமானங்கள் அமைத்து அவற்றை வெகுசனப்படுத்தினர்” என்கிறார் அ.மார்க்ஸ்.

உண்மையில் ரஹ்மான் என்கிற புயல், தமிழ் மக்களின் மனதில் இசைப் புழுதியை வாரி இரைத்துவிட்டு கரை கடந்து போய் அய்ந்தாண்டுகளுக்கு மேலாகிறது. இந்த அய்ந்தாண்டில் ஒரு பாடல் கூட பிரபலமாகவில்லை. ஹாரிஸ் ஜெயராஜ் என்பவர், நான்கு படங்களுக்கு மட்டுமே இசை அமைத்திருக்கிறார். அதில் ஒரே ஒரு பாடல் மட்டும்தான் பிரபலம் (‘வசீகரா’)

உண்மை இப்படியிருக்க, இவர்களை `உலகத்தரத்துக்கு’ என்று பொய் சொல்கிறார்.

அ.மார்க்சே ஒரு ஒப்பீட்டை உண்டாக்குகிறார். அந்த ஒப்பீட்டிலும் அவர் நேர்மையாக இல்லை. இன்றைய திரை இசை நிலையில் வியாபார ரீதியாகவும், வெற்றி பெற்று நிறைய படங்களுக்கு இசையமைத்துக் கொண்டிருப்பவர் யுவன் சங்கர் ராஜாதான் (இளையராஜாவின் மகன்.) அதன் பிறகு வித்யாசாகர். நிலைமை இப்படியிருக்க மறந்து ஓரிடத்தில் கூட, யுவன் சங்கர் ராஜாவின் பெயரைக் குறிப்பிடவில்லை. ஏன்?

இளையராஜாவின் பரம்பரையின் மீதே கோபமா?

ஜெ.பிஸ்மியின் ‘தமிழ் சினிமாவில்..’ என்ற புத்தகத்திற்கான முன்னுரையில் அ.மார்க்ஸ் கீழ்க்கண்டவாறு குறிப்பிடுகிறார்;

“யோசித்துப் பார்க்கும்போது இச்சைகளின் ஓட்டத்திற்கு களம் அமைத்துக் கொடுத்த வகையில் தமிழ்த் திரைப்படங்கள் பாசிசத்திற்கு, பாசிசக்கட்டமைப்பிற்கு எதிரான ஒரு பாணியைத் தம்மை அறியாமலேயே நிறைவேற்றி வந்துள்ளது என்று சொல்லத் தோன்றுகிறது…”

“கவுண்டமணி – செந்தில் நகைச்சுவையையும் கூட நாம் இந்த நோக்கில் பரிசீலிக்கும்போது வேறுவிதமான முடிவுகளுக்கு வர முடியும். காலங்காலமாக இங்கே பதிக்கப்பட்டுள்ள பல்வேறு மதிப்பீடுகளையும், பிம்பங்களையும், அவர்கள் தலை கீழாக்கிக் கவிழ்த்து நொறுக்குவது என்பது வரவேற்கத்தக்க ஒன்றாகவே எனக்குப் படுகிறது.”

`இட்லர், பாசிசத்திற்கு எதிரானவர்’ என்பதுபோல் தமிழ்த் திரைப்படங்கள் பாசிசத்திற்கு எதிரானது என்கிறார் அ.மார்க்ஸ்.

பெண்களை, உடல் ஊனமுற்றவர்களைப் படுகேவலமாக கேலி செய்து, ‘சண்டாளப் பயலே’ `அட சண்டாளா’ என்று தலித் மக்களை இழிவுபடுத்துகிற வார்த்தைகளை அடிக்கடி பயன்படுத்துகிற கவுண்டமணி – செந்திலை அதையெல்லாம் தாண்டி, ‘பல்வேறு மதிப்பீடுகளையும், பிம்பங்களையும் அவர்கள் தலைகீழாக்கிக் கவிழ்த்து நொறுக்குகிறார்கள்’ என்கிற அ.மார்க்ஸ் தான், இளையராஜாவை கடுமையாக விமர்சித்துள்ளார்.

அ.மார்க்ஸ் உட்பட பிற்படுத்தப்பட்ட, தலித் மக்களுக்கான தகுதி, திறமைக்கான இந்திய உதாரணம் மட்டுமல்ல இளையராஜா; மூன்றாம் நாடுகளில் முகம் அவர்.

பின்குறிப்பு: “யாரையும் விமர்சனத்திற்கு அப்பாற்பட்டவராக நிறுத்துவது ஜனநாயக நெறிமுறைகளுக்கு புறம்பான ஒன்று. யாரையும் விமர்சனத்திற்குத் தகுதியற்றவர்களாக நிறுத்துவது இன்னும் மோசமான ஒன்று. விமர்சன அறிவு என்பது ஒரு மனித மாண்பு”என்று கட்டுரையில் ‘தலித் முரசு’க்கு அறிவுரை சொல்கிறார் அ.மார்க்ஸ்.

அதனால் அவரைப் பற்றியான இந்த விமர்சனங்களுக்கும் இதே அளவுகோலைப் பொருத்திப் பார்ப்பார் என்று நம்புகிறோம்.

-வே. மதிமாறன்
[/tscii:13b93e6856]

irir123
12th November 2009, 07:30 PM

Balki - mosadi idhu - it has already been used once in Balu mahendra's "aur ek prem kahani" - what the heck ??? as an
IR fan cudnt he have persuaded IR to come up with a fresh number ??

baroque
13th November 2009, 01:13 AM
Some Ilayaraja fans care for only orchestration.
சட்டை, பாவடை மாற்றி அழகு பார்த்தார், ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா என்று , they celebrate and enjoy.
May be Balki is one of them. :)

Ilayaraaja can always say NO.

Balki is not holding him hostage.
தமிழ், மலையாளம், கன்னட, ஹிந்தி etc.. the same tune with different moods & orchestration, I have done already.
அதை போயீ கேளு, boy!
I compose a new , fresh tune for you now அப்படின்னு சொல்ல வேண்டியதுதானே , ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா .
ஸ்ரீ.இளையராஜா doesn't mind too. :)
Sorry

I am revisiting
one two cha cha
lets do cha cha cha, me and you cha cha cha....
Usha uthup... R.D.Burman.
Wanna join me!
Let R.D.Burman console you.

vinatha.

app_engine
13th November 2009, 01:29 AM
Yes, it's disappointing for people who want IR to keep giving out new melodies & music.

OTOH, IR possibly wants a "wider" reach of some of his classics and possibly thought Balki - AB - Hindi is a good vehicle for that. (I think aur Ek prem kahAni is possibly known only to a few tfmpage folks, even most IR admirers have never heard (about) it, let alone the mainstream Hindi movie watchers :-) )

It's definitely not a Balki mOsadi. He is actually doing some good commercial service to IR / his classics. Can possibly be called IR's gimmick as he has done similar in the past also, in the same language, either yearning for a wider audience reach or purely commercial reasons (kuyilukkuppam to thooLiyilE, for e.g.)

app_engine
13th November 2009, 01:35 AM
ஒரு விதத்தில் பார்த்தால், டென்ஷன் கம்மி :-) 'பா பாட்டெல்லாம் எப்படி இருக்குமோ'ன்னு கவலைப்பட வேண்டாம் - சீனி கம் மாதிரி மினிமம் கியாரண்டி :-)

baroque
13th November 2009, 01:36 AM
that's nice. :) Good for ilayaraaja.
vinatha.

app_engine
13th November 2009, 01:36 AM
However, not using Shreya G is unacceptable :-(

rprasad
13th November 2009, 02:03 AM
I completely agree with app_engine. I dont think any hindi movie watcher remembers that movie from Balu Mahendra let alone remembering the songs in that movie. it was very low key and probably did not run for more than a week anywhere.
I love this tune and the trend of IR using his hits in one language in another is not new and he has done it many times. Infact if you look at Vamsi's telugu movies most of them had on or two tunes from IR's tamil hits. So its nothing new especially if the tune is good. This is a brilliant tune and hopefully the modern orchestration for this does not dilute the effect. Hopefullythis ends up being like the cheeni kum title song which turned up brilliantly.

kiru
13th November 2009, 03:52 AM
I and Balki :-) believe IR's old songs can be presented to the new generation just by using the drumkit instead of the old tabla/folk drums.
(BTW, drumkit usage in new albums - is setting a benchmark on the versatility of this instruments - starting from folk/rustic music in valmiki to modern/youthful compositions in chal chalein, maybe the drums will become like violin - totally integrated into our music idiom. irir123 or somebody should get some drummer like Mickey Hart in the US to listen to IR's drums based songs.)

krish244
13th November 2009, 09:22 AM
I was not dissappointed when I came to know "thumbi va" is reused as "gumsum" and I was still very curious to know how it turned out. But, when I heard this wonderful tune in a kid's voice along with the modern orchestration, I felt that it somehow did not gel that well for the situation. The music starts to get interesting at the end of the clip though. Need to listen to the whole song for the music part.

thanks,

Krishnan

MADDY
13th November 2009, 10:00 AM
are you guys talking abt the same "paa" .....Balki, to chennai times, today says "4 fresh songs" and "2 old songs" :roll:

Balki travels to chennai for rerecording (http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=19&edlabel=TOICH&mydateHid=13-11-2009&pubname=&edname=&articleid=Ar01900&format=&publabel=TOI)

He does not need the crutches of technology to sound nice as his melodies are powerful

marandhu poi kooda louu choose panna maattanga pola :lol2:

jaiganes
13th November 2009, 11:49 AM
are you guys talking abt the same "paa" .....Balki, to chennai times, today says "4 fresh songs" and "2 old songs" :roll:

Balki travels to chennai for rerecording (http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/mobile.aspx?article=yes&pageid=19&edlabel=TOICH&mydateHid=13-11-2009&pubname=&edname=&articleid=Ar01900&format=&publabel=TOI)

He does not need the crutches of technology to sound nice as his melodies are powerful

marandhu poi kooda louu choose panna maattanga pola :lol2:
yaen unga mela neettappatta kainne nenaikareenga.
my dad is not in the hay stackungara maadhiri...

raagas
13th November 2009, 12:23 PM
No matter how much i like Thumbi Vaa song and no matter how much i will like Gum Sum, I somehow am not appreciative about the idea of rehashing it again.I have heard it in Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Hindi and even instrumental version. And now again in Hindi!!! Its like going too far in glorifying past work, especially when it has been glorified enough.Honestly,no version can get better than the instrumental version because it blends the indian classical content with symphonic style of execution, supported by groovy bass lines. Can there be a better fusion?That was the peak among all versions!

Basically, I have reservations about rehashing an old idea.Still, if i have to give in to the fact that "whats wrong in reusing an old tune to give it a new form", i can enjoy some rehashes.Like i enjoyed Cheeni Kum and some other telugu songs which have been redone from tamil. But this song, Thumbi Vaa.. its been rehashed 5 times till now. How many times more?He is creative enough.Why the same idea again?Why not some other idea?Balki might have insisted but still.
I have read so much criticism about so many new composers..that they re-do their regional songs or basically transport songs from one language into another and attain fame.Sad that IR also resorted to that.

MADDY
13th November 2009, 12:28 PM

sorry i dont compose music :lol2: .......

why so much "gaandu" against technology - is my point......

Plum
13th November 2009, 01:22 PM
Yes, I also think tumbi vaa has been "thEvaiyAna aLavu alasiyAchu". idhukku mEla enna irukku?
OTOH, kiLiyE kiLiyE-nu another child-parent dynamics song in malayalam - adhai ellAm revive paNNalAm. Saying that, I think the original is perfect and need not be improved

Plum
13th November 2009, 01:27 PM
raagas, a little background. Thumbi Vaa in oLangaL is a "family" song. Amol Palekar and his wife and 2 kids go about their daily routine is the situation. This might be a thematic pick of the tune unlike the other versions used for different situations. Let's update the roster
Thumbi Vaa- Parent-Child dynamics
Aakasam EnatidhO - an unlikely love story and bond
nIrvizhchi thImuttudhE - erotic? I havent seen it
Sunday Ko - the weakest of the lot - college fun song
Paa - perhaps parent-child dynamics?

Considering the symmetry, hopefully, he is giving 'closure' to this tune :-)

On a differnt note, considering the bonanza this year, I am getting a slight apprehension whether this might be his "Indian Summer"!

raagas
13th November 2009, 04:22 PM
Plum... sorry, cant buy that. And for all we know, this Gumsum might be even better than sunday Ko and might be even more suitable. still, the fact that it had been dished out so many times... it paints a wrong picture... of one wanting to showcase one of his best, again and again.And somehow, come to think of it, when we want IR to do original Hindi songs, we get to see recycled ones. Shivs 2006 was good score, but it had recycled tunes (although Saara Yeh Aalam is outstanding).Cheeni Kum had recycled stuff.
IR's big releases in Hindi had recycled ones and small ones, like Chal Chalein, have original tunes, which somehow fail to click. The point i am trying to make is - its big releases which bring him visibility because these big films are by big directors/stars.And whats the point in using recycled stuff there!Where is the composer-director equation there?Is it not minimal?GumSum song is born out of "Balu Mahendra-IR" equation basically and not "Balki-IR equation". Jaane Do Na is about "IR-Whoever that director of Geetha was" equation.And if we want original good music by IR in hindi, we want original ideas. "Mudi Mudi" from Paa is original.And it clicks well with us too.

Plum
13th November 2009, 04:44 PM
raagas, I said I am also not very thrilled about another adaptation of Thumbi Vaa. Just trying to rationalise the director's choice.
And I love Cheeni Kum - the flavour painted on each of the tune was original and completely giving a new meaning to the tunes. That's an IR special attribute, and he is justifiably proud of it and using it.

The only point I agree is that a 7th version of Thumbi Vaa is overkill

raagas
13th November 2009, 04:56 PM
I too enjoyed Cheeni Kum.Yet, for me, groovy-bouncy Cheeni Kum hai song did not replace Manthram Vantha.I loved the sweet jaane Do na and its rich interludes.still,it must have been a cakewalk for IR.because the tune is already there.Adornments vary.I would want to see completely fresh work by IR. I hope Paa's 4 songs atleast reflect make up for the loss.

Sanjeevi
13th November 2009, 05:00 PM
I dont think any hindi movie watcher remembers that movie from Balu Mahendra let alone remembering the songs in that movie.

The 'Sunday Ko' is bad version of all of 'Thumbi Va'. But I am happy with IR for reusing 'Putham Pudhu Kalai' song for two reasons 1) It was not picturised before 2) It is brilliant song even more than Thumbi Vaa :)

raagas
13th November 2009, 05:06 PM
About Paa, Lets look at just numbers: The album has 7 songs.

Mudi Mudi has 3 versions.

So, that means, Paa has 5 compositions. Of which 2 are recycled. That leaves us 3. Only 3 :(

cry_sandiego
13th November 2009, 06:22 PM
Guys,

IMHO, for me, having 2-3 original "good" songs is enough per album ( Naan Kadavul had only 2 songs and I was very happy ) ..In PR the 3 songs make the entire album so powerful. I guess IR spoiled us by giving 6-7 gems in most of his albums during his peak years ( Payangal mudivathillai, Ninaivellam Nithya, Alaigal oivathillai, Thevar magan, Marupadiyum, Azhagi etc etc ... ) when his creativity and productivity were too good to be true and spoiled us :-)

Cheers
MSK

jaiganes
13th November 2009, 06:23 PM

sorry i dont compose music :lol2: .......

why so much "gaandu" against technology - is my point......
I listened to the much adored SPB chitra song in naanayam and was simply disappointed. a very simple melody with least innovation that shankar ganesh might have composed in their respective states of sleep(indha composer duos make my english grammer go crazy) 'sounds' groovy simply because of recording and funky sounds (of course major portion of credit belongs to the divine singers) and people are showering flower petals from rooftops. Maddy- point is - ippo irukkara technology vechu naanum neengalum kooda 'nalla review' vaangida mudiyum. and that is what is happening today. so when you have a handful of composers that 'imagine' and create, it is a shame to see pretenders to garner name with the crutches of technology. and that travesty makes anyone with half a brain and a respect for true genius become angry.

kameshratnam
13th November 2009, 06:24 PM
Mudi Mudi song sounds like

Naan thanga roja from Time and plus Dheemi Dheemi from Chenni Kum...Shades of those songs are there...

jaiganes
13th November 2009, 06:28 PM
Mudi Mudi song sounds like

Naan thanga roja from Time and plus Dheemi Dheemi from Chenni Kum...Shades of those songs are there...
dheemi dheemi had that hurried rendering of words towards the end of each charanam which is faithfully replicated here and yet another mohanam which had that 'hurry' was ninnikkori from agni nakshathram (azhagiya raghuvaranE..... anudhinamum).
another pattern in the crime milord...

Sanjeevi
13th November 2009, 06:52 PM
Guys,

IMHO, for me, having 2-3 original "good" songs is enough per album ( Naan Kadavul had only 2 songs and I was very happy ) ..In PR the 3 songs make the entire album so powerful. I guess IR spoiled us by giving 6-7 gems in most of his albums during his peak years ( Payangal mudivathillai, Ninaivellam Nithya, Alaigal oivathillai, Thevar magan, Marupadiyum, Azhagi etc etc ... ) when his creativity and productivity were too good to be true and spoiled us :-)

Cheers
MSK

Hulkster
13th November 2009, 09:45 PM
Extended Promo of Mudi Mudi songs - Courtesy of Orkut IR group.

Mudi Mudi - 2mins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zH5wjiHUJY&feature=related)

rajkumarc
14th November 2009, 01:24 AM
I dont think any hindi movie watcher remembers that movie from Balu Mahendra let alone remembering the songs in that movie.

The 'Sunday Ko' is bad version of all of 'Thumbi Va'. But I am happy with IR for reusing 'Putham Pudhu Kalai' song for two reasons 1) It was not picturised before 2) It is brilliant song even more than Thumbi Vaa :)

:exactly: I would love to see Putham Puthu Kaalai version on screen. What a song and I just the hope the picturization justifies the song quality.

csramasami
14th November 2009, 02:26 PM
[tscii:80ba7a8c13]http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/11/14/composer-ilaiyaaraja-cancels-music-release-of-paa-60583/

Composer Ilaiyaaraja cancels music release of ‘Paa’

By Subhash K. Jha, IANS
November 14th, 2009

MUMBAI - The music event of upcoming movie “Paa” that was scheduled for Children’s Day Saturday here was cancelled, thanks to workaholic composer Ilaiyaaraja who is not ready to break his “creative process to attend the function”.

Now, the sound tracks will hit the outlets Sunday without any formal release.

“We had planned a formal music launch on Children’s Day in Mumbai. But Raja sir is busy doing the background score for ‘Paa’. In fact I’m with him right now.

He says there’s no way he would break his creative process to attend the function. We all respect his wishes. We’ve cancelled the formal music release,” director Balki says.

The music event was to be attended by Bollywood actresses Vidya Balan, Abhishek Bachchan, Balki and Ilaiyaaraja, who is currently in Chennai.

For Children’s Day, Balki will release a number of messages from Big B in the voice of Auro for kids all over the world. In “Paa”, Amitabh Bachchan plays the character of Auro, who has a rare genetic defect that causes accelerated ageing.

Balki said Amitabh won’t appear in person for any of the promotional activities of “Paa”.

“We’ll only be hearing him talk about the film in the voice of Auro in all the campaigns. He won’t be seen in person anywhere,” the director said.
[/tscii:80ba7a8c13]

inetk
14th November 2009, 03:02 PM
http://www.hungama.com/music-album-Paa-349792

Hulkster
14th November 2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks alot Karthick

I guess thalaivar has brought in his synth expertise into this songs as well. Two words for this album, Isaiyaraja Extravaganza.

raagas
14th November 2009, 03:32 PM
Hichki Hichki opening lines resembles a song from "Kangalin vaarththaikal" which goes like "En ithayam avalai thodarnthu"