PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to? - Part 2.

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

app_engine
17th February 2010, 08:42 PM
Another unusual song that got played during this trip and still playing in my mind is 'hEy, hEy, OrAyiram...malargaLE malarndhana' song of meeNdum kOkilA!

One thing that was magnetic during the early days of IR was the total unpredictability during the interludes. Such portions still fit in harmoniously to the song overall.

Both interludes of this song are of that nature - with "cannot guess" portions that are impressive! With SPB & bass guitar is full form, this song refuses to stop playing in the mind :-)

jaiganes
17th February 2010, 09:40 PM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00462.html

Yaar thoorigai seidha oviyam

Guitar and piano mastery + bass guitar - Offcourse SPB
and last but not least Uma Ramanan.
Raasappuvukku guitar thanni patta paadunnu sila gnana soonyangalukku purinjudum.

ananth222
17th February 2010, 09:46 PM
Another unusual song that got played during this trip and still playing in my mind is 'hEy, hEy, OrAyiram...malargaLE malarndhana' song of meeNdum kOkilA!

One thing that was magnetic during the early days of IR was the total unpredictability during the interludes. Such portions still fit in harmoniously to the song overall.

Both interludes of this song are of that nature - with "cannot guess" portions that are impressive! With SPB & bass guitar is full form, this song refuses to stop playing in the mind :-)
Love that song! I once had a playlist of similar songs including this one, that had a natural calming and pleasant effect, like taking a walk down some beautiful natural scenery. Can't recall all the songs right now, but "thendral varum, ennai azhaikkum" from "Paaru paaru pattanam paaru" comes to mind

ananth222
17th February 2010, 09:49 PM
wow jaiganes, just saw ur post... coincidence that we chose songs from the same movie?

jaiganes
17th February 2010, 10:12 PM
wow jaiganes, just saw ur post... coincidence that we chose songs from the same movie?
see only 4000 odd songs - what chance is that?

Sureshs65
18th February 2010, 01:15 AM
Jai,

'Yaar toorigai' Wow song. I first heard this when Saravanan wrote about it in dhool.com Along with it came other songs like 'vaanam enge'. All of those songs were heavily guitar driven. 'vaanam enge' too has lovely guitars and an honey dripping Jeyachandran. Just the thought of these songs, which were either unreleased or in some junk movie which was seen only by the families of the crew, makes me salute this great man. No 'paarapatcham' in giving away his wealth!!!

jaiganes
18th February 2010, 04:30 AM
I am trying to find a song from a movie in which late actor Vijayan played a lead role.
I forgot the song or the title of the movie or the director.
The theme however goes like the husband finding his wife in bed with another man, forgives her and moves on and the wife repents kinda like that. It might not even have music by Raaja - but just searching....

tvsankar
18th February 2010, 02:30 PM
suresh,
THanks for Vaanam engae.. padam per marandhu poi,
ithanai neram paatai thedinen.... :D

Beautiful song. Excellent rendition by PJ and SJ....

tvsankar
18th February 2010, 02:33 PM
jaiganes,

dono the film name. but MD is Gangai Amaran..

think so....

2 pair pathina kadhai adhu.

vidukadhai ondru
thodar kadhai ondru
yar kadhai ...... like that....

IR music nu nenachu padam parka ponen... :D

en amma kite - nalla thittu vanginen..... :lol: - indha padam ellam edhuku parka vandhae... ennaiyum vera kootindu.....

anda padama neenga kaekaradhu....

jaiganes
18th February 2010, 06:36 PM
jaiganes,

think so....

vidukadhai ondru
thodar kadhai ondru

en amma kite - nalla thittu vanginen..... :lol: - indha padam ellam edhuku parka vandhae... ennaiyum vera kootindu.....

I think so - the song was too good. I caught some portions of the movie long back in TV. somehow I thought it was by Raja...
referred thirai paadal - it is 'oru vidukadhai oru thodar kadhai' - The KJY song - Nayagan oru nayagi is what I am looking for...
Thanks Ushaji!!!

thumburu
18th February 2010, 06:48 PM
jaiganes,

think so....

vidukadhai ondru
thodar kadhai ondru

I think so - the song was too good. I caught some portions of the movie long back in TV. somehow I thought it was by Raja...

Early films of Gangai Amaran as MD were truly astonishing, markedly different from Raja. Surprisingly I don't like his commercially succesful ventures like "Mouna geethangaL" or "vaazhve maayam" , but obscure movies like "vidukathai oru thodarkadhai" , "ramaayee ... vandhutaa.", "malargaLe malarungaL" etc had numbers which were unique . Unfortunate that such a talented guy had to take the easier route of lyrics/ direction , both just average IMO. "Vidukathai.." had lovely songs like "nayagan oru puram", "isaikkavo nam kalyani ragam" , "vidukathai onru thodar kadhai onru"

jaiganes
18th February 2010, 09:05 PM
IsaikkavO kalyani raagam - thiraipaadal doesnt have that song.
If you have can you give me the link...
I was frantically looking for Nayagi oru puram beautiful lyrics and music and fabulous singing by Yesudas and Janaki.

'yaarai ingu kutram solvadhu
vidhiyin vazhi vaazhkai selludhu'

tvsankar
18th February 2010, 09:56 PM
IsaikkavO kalyani raagam - thiraipaadal doesnt have that song.
If you have can you give me the link...
I was frantically looking for Nayagi oru puram beautiful lyrics and music and fabulous singing by Yesudas and Janaki.

'yaarai ingu kutram solvadhu
vidhiyin vazhi vaazhkai selludhu'

Malargalae malarugal - Isaikavo

indha paatu Thriaipadal la iruku Jaiganes.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/allsongs.asp?txtselected=&schMovieName=Malargalae&schSongName=&schSinger=&schLyrics=All&sbt=Search

tvsankar
18th February 2010, 09:57 PM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBGMN00023.html

jaiganes
18th February 2010, 10:03 PM
Romba thanksuuuuu!!!

jaiganes
19th February 2010, 12:46 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00722.html

Thanks IRIR123.. rhythm sectionla drums podu podudhu po. guitarum SPBum chumma poondhu vilayaadikeerango paa and the year gentlemen and ladies is 1984 ...

jaiganes
19th February 2010, 01:31 AM
http://www.dishant.com/lyrics/telugu-song-Janaki-Kalaganaledu-music-rajkumar-(telugu).html

This song is spell binding and the comparable song in the same raaga that I know is

Sithagaththi pookkaLe from Rajakumaran

incidentally (or intentionally) the telugu song is also from a movie titled Rajkumar.

rajkumarc
19th February 2010, 05:16 AM
Annakili Unnai Theduthe - the TMS version. It's a very, very different song than the SJ version.

I like the TMS way of emoting especially in Pathos. In this song, I feel it maybe a little overdone but who else could have done it better than TMS.

Beautiful prelude and interludes, the guitar and flute sound divine. Also, the mild guitar strumming that accompanies the vocals throughout is very pleasant.

rajkumarc
19th February 2010, 05:18 AM
http://www.dishant.com/lyrics/telugu-song-Janaki-Kalaganaledu-music-rajkumar-(telugu).html

This song is spell binding and the comparable song in the same raaga that I know is

Sithagaththi pookkaLe from Rajakumaran

incidentally (or intentionally) the telugu song is also from a movie titled Rajkumar.

Jai - I remember this song more for our Suresh's blog than anything else. What a complicated set of dance steps :D

tvsankar
19th February 2010, 12:15 PM
Un Ennam engae engae - Thambi pondati

Uma RAmanan - romba nalla irukum.

Composition - Haunting tune......

Chords kaeka ipo dhan kathundu iruken.

Sureshs65
19th February 2010, 01:02 PM
Jai,

As you say, a lovely Suddha Saveri number. Sung beautifully by Balu and Susheela. As rajkumar says I had written a post on this song and the setps :)

rajkumar: I too feel that TMS has overdone the 'Annakili' song. I am sure if Raja had his way, he would not have had TMS go over the top. Looks like TMS had his way. No wonder Raja in later days stuck to singers who would sing as per his instructions.

tvsankar
19th February 2010, 02:34 PM
En manae thaenae - Mano and KSC

Thambi pondati.

wat a works....vera enna Guitar dhan........

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00629.html

Sureshs65
19th February 2010, 09:35 PM
Revisiting songs from the Telugu movie 'Shambu'. All nice ones. Love the 'Lovely' song. Very nice orchestral work, though much of it is synth.

tvsankar
19th February 2010, 09:47 PM
suresh,
link thara muidyuma......

jaiganes
19th February 2010, 10:41 PM
http://ragamanjari.blogspot.com/

Thendrale nee pesu - from Kadavul Amaitha medai
When PBS sings, one gets a glimpse of the Raja of GKV days and then it hits you, the early raja ludes had single thread - one melody that entire orchestra plays and when the second interlude plays, there is more happening - more countrpoints chit chats between the portions of ensemble - like group of friends commmenting on a situation which is how Raaja's ludes of 1980s became... This is one rare song which has both the styles of ludes in one song and the year of the song is not surprisingly 1979.

ajithfederer
20th February 2010, 09:17 AM
Solai kili onnu

Muthirai ippodhu

from Uzhaipali.

ananth222
20th February 2010, 07:38 PM
Dheemi dheemi from Shiva
great song, and "kaise kahoon" and "saara ye aalam" are also lovely. Somehow this album seems to have slipped under the radar very quickly

rajkumarc
21st February 2010, 02:04 PM
Melle Onne Paadi from Manassinakkare, courtesy of Suresh. Thanks a lot Suresh for pointing out this song. It's going to be in the loop for a while. Love everything in this song - orchestration, singing and picturization.

Does anyone know who is the female singer in this song?

tvsankar
21st February 2010, 03:12 PM
Melle Onne Paadi from Manassinakkare, courtesy of Suresh. Thanks a lot Suresh for pointing out this song. It's going to be in the loop for a while. Love everything in this song - orchestration, singing and picturization.

Does anyone know who is the female singer in this song?

rajkumar,

Beautiful Film.

Thanks for the song ....

tvsankar
21st February 2010, 10:41 PM
Ammamma dhegam erigiradhae - Neruppukul Eeram

romba KETTA paatu idhu. So radio la vechadhu ilai.

romba sathamana paatu. indha satham ipodhum enaku pidikalai...

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00424.html

tvsankar
21st February 2010, 10:49 PM
Thendralai kandu kolla maanae
kangalin thevai enna thaenae

Excellent lyrics.....

99 year la vandha oru GEM...

raagas
22nd February 2010, 11:33 AM
I was listening to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0BcHDw0u04

"Vennello Nadiche" from Anthapuram. The beginning itself has an instant appeal. For a traditionally sounding tune, he suddenly adds a layer of synthesizer riffs.

This movie had wonderful songs. I dont know why Krishna Vamsi didnt go back to Ilaiyaraaja after this film. I remember how this movie's promos started. The poster or the promos did not have any photographs/videos of actors. Instead, it just had a pigeon and a rifle and the only line that blasted was "The King is back" and Ilaiyaraaja's name appeared. Then the movie title Anthapuram with Krishna Vamsy below it.

This song too had beautiful lyrics.

tvsankar
22nd February 2010, 11:51 AM
Kavidhai paadu kuyilae - Thendralae ennai thodu

Beautiful Prelude.

NIce work of Wah Wah sound....

my favourite madhyamavathi...... Flute il kaetkum podhu
inimai adhigam.........

SPB is humming...........

excellent no..........

tvsankar
22nd February 2010, 12:17 PM
Kavidhai padu - IR + SPB + Madhyamavathi

i think another Madhyamavathi is,

Heloo Guru - Nirnayam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqfWleVyOyw

IR + SPB + Madyamavathi - Great songs to me...........

Sureshs65
22nd February 2010, 12:17 PM
rajkumar,

The female singer in 'melleonnu' is Jyotsna.

raagas: 'Anthapuram' was probably the last 'hit' of Raja in Telugu. 'eyi sindeyi' is sung very well by Shankar Mahadevan. What I like is that the whole song gives a feel of the Rayalaseema area and not the Godavari area which the Raja-Vamsy songs remind you of. This movie being in Rayalaseema and Raja matching the music to that area. It is really amazing how he is able to get to the musical soul of a particular area. Other than this, the way the female chorus come in, adding a bit of melody to the otherwise aggressive song. The female voice changes the mood of the song abruptly like how it happens in 'rakkamma kaiya thathu'. The other songs in the movie are good as well.

tvsankar
22nd February 2010, 12:32 PM
I was listening to this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0BcHDw0u04

"Vennello Nadiche" from Anthapuram. The beginning itself has an instant appeal. For a traditionally sounding tune, he suddenly adds a layer of synthesizer riffs.

This movie had wonderful songs. I dont know why Krishna Vamsi didnt go back to Ilaiyaraaja after this film. I remember how this movie's promos started. The poster or the promos did not have any photographs/videos of actors. Instead, it just had a pigeon and a rifle and the only line that blasted was "The King is back" and Ilaiyaraaja's name appeared. Then the movie title Anthapuram with Krishna Vamsy below it.

This song too had beautiful lyrics.

Raagas,

Thanks for this song. Sowndharya - i love her......
innocent face.. Good actress. hmmmm

lyrics - dono telugu. could you translate in english pl....

app_engine
22nd February 2010, 08:26 PM
என் கண்மணி, உன் காதலி (சிட்டுக்குருவி)

Though we used to be thrilled with the கருவாட்டுக்கூடை thing during the time of its release and also wondered how the overlapping part was done (much like Sujatha's gimmicks during his early days, like printing letters in the form of a stair case when writing that the person went downstairs), we also recognized that the song had more than such things to sound so sweet and good. The orchestration was simple but captivating, decent lyric / singing, sweet tune etc.

The film had "அடடட மாமரக்கிளியே" by SJ and also "பொன்னுல பொன்னுல பண்ணுன மூக்குத்தி" by SPB and those two were much popular in the village side while this duet had widespread appeal.

While listening to the song this morning, however, I felt there's some "age" problem between the singers :-)

PS sounds like SPB's akka (rather சித்தி :) ) in this song as her voice already started showing signs of "beyond-middle-aged-woman" kind of maturity while SPB was still boyish. And PS never tried to hide it (unlike SJ who mastered the art of switching age).

Sureshs65
22nd February 2010, 10:13 PM
Listening to this song today and thought 'yaam petra inbum peruga ivvayagam' .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsgu0uhu7I&feature=related

The picturisation and dance are hilarious, though not intended :lol: While Raja uses some synth effects for this song, check out the interludes. The first interlude has some lovely sax, where the sax is not made to play completely. It is almost as if they are cut off abruptly. The second interlude has some lovely guitar playing, here too an urgency is seen in the guitar playing and they produce an effect which perfectly matches what is happening on screen.

tvsankar
22nd February 2010, 11:58 PM
Niram pirithu parthen - Time

99 year la vandha GEM....

I love Sujatha's voice.

Sometime this song drags me to the song - Solladha ennangal

dono the reason....

Now only i get some Nyanam to rasichifying this song.

(Enna kodumai..... Pavam IR..... Wat a confident Man he is.....

Endravadhu thannudaiya aanaithu padalgalaiyum purindhu kondu rasipargal , thannudaiya rasigargal
endru ,

Asaika mudiyadha nambikai vaithu irukar.....

Indha Nambikai Veen pogadhu endru Raaja Sir ku
Assurance tharugiren.

Niram pirithu - Sujatha

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00669.html

app_engine
23rd February 2010, 12:44 AM
Usha chEchi,

நிறம் பிரித்துப்பார்த்தேன் was the most celebrated song in tfmpage those days!

After reading the eloquent praises by knowledgeable df'ers like D Srikanth (also a composer) I searched around and got the cassette. It was on my audio all the time till I lost the cassette. Time also had kAdhal nee dhAnA (Unnikrishnan-Sujatha), thavikkiREn (HH-Bhava), nAn thanga rOjA (SPB-Swarnalatha) & muththu nagaiyE (KR-Bhava song) - good to hear songs but niRam piriththu is the top one.

And appreciated well in tfmpage too.

I believe the movie is a kuppai and this song was not even featured on-screen. So, didn't get the reach with the masses as much as kAdhal nee dhAnA & thavikkiREn, as this came in the "Prabhu Deva + SunTV" era where visuals were needed for a wide reach.

Still, true connoisseurs of tfm@tfmpage paid rich tributes to this song!

tvsankar
23rd February 2010, 12:59 AM
app,
thanks for the response.

naan tfmpage ku vandha varusham -2004.. think so...

apo ellam thread thedi elam parka theiryadhu.

pick of the week by Ramki - IR songs..
idhai matum parthu vittu poi viduven.

Time - chinna flashback.

Mikka kanavudan, Aiwa - audio video set vanginom/
3 cd player..

vangiyadhum. vangiya first cd - Original CD - Time

vangiya sila varudam kazhithu , en thozhi
aval vangiya set ku kaeka paatu vendum endru
indha cd yai eduthu kondu ponal.
indru varai tharavillai.... :D

sari = Time songs avaluku pidichu iruku endru sandhosham...

CD yai parthal - kandipaga en nyabagamum IR nyabagamum irukumae....

app_engine
23rd February 2010, 01:30 AM
ok, UshakkA, both Srikanth's and MS's reviews of TIME are here (tfmpage archives) :
http://tfmpage.com/forum/archives/6719.ir_reviews.html

Relevant portions :

6. Neram pirthu; I would say this the best song from raja in past 5 years. Simply a great score, I love playing it on the keyboard each and every part, I enjoying it every time I play it. I posted this some time ago, the songs moves like a feature that falls from a height, we do not know which direction it will move next, so smooth, reminds of old MSV's song from poikal kudurai. Msv's song did not have so much chromatic scaling, this has many parts in chromatic scale. Oboe, cello, double bass, violas, violins, piano --- every classical instrument we know, (I heard even French horn and brass) has a part in this song, and basically set in G, moves around wonderfully, Sujatha renders it with a great feel. (9.5/10)

Niram piriththu:(sujaatha)

Oh Man!!!Greatness manifested in just one song in the album !!! If we replace Sujaatha's voice with a set of high pitched violins, we are getting a symphony class music !!! the whole song has been enriched with violins and bells. Think of the beat "aasai adigam vachchu" at the pace of " veNNilaa veNNilaa veNNilaavE vandhadhEy mudhal kaadhal" with a tune totally unheard from IR till this day !! This is the BEST of IR I have heard oflate after "Ponveyilile" of "yaathramozhi". A must in the personal favourites !!
On the whole the album is a very good buy as all the songs are good except one which is way too good.

tvsankar
23rd February 2010, 02:29 AM
app,
Thanks for the Nice reviews from Srikanth and MS.....

Wat a Great Analysis had taken.........

Thank you app..

Shank
23rd February 2010, 03:04 AM
app engine, do you know Srikanth?

app_engine
23rd February 2010, 03:48 AM
Not personally, only from tfmpage, dhool and his blogspot :-)

Shank
23rd February 2010, 04:47 AM
app engine, I just asked... since he is my partner in our music venture :-)

Sureshs65
23rd February 2010, 10:04 AM
/Digression

Shank,

Your post reminded me of the comedy scene featuring Vadivelu and another comedian (Singamuthu?) where that comedian asks Vadivelu if he knows a 'karruppa kullama orythar' and when Vadivelu says no, he beats him up and later reveals that the 'karuppu kullamana manushan' is the comedian himself and he is checking if he is popular and if people know him :lol:

Jest for fun.

/End digression

Sureshs65
23rd February 2010, 10:05 AM
BTW, app_eng and Shank,

What is the link to Srikanth's blog?

tvsankar
23rd February 2010, 01:51 PM
Ilaiyaraja - PJ - Rare GEMS ellam.

alaiyae kadal aiayae - PJ and SJ

ARamba kalathil, IR in indha padal ellam kaetka, kaeta

Ilaiya Raaja engira oru Human Being mel (Isai amaipalaraga alla)

(Enna madhiri manidhan ivan.... ipadi manasu urugara
madhiri isai amaikiranae ........)

Manadhu Neraiya Pasam Vandhadhu........

Apadi arambitha pasam - ithanai varudangalil adhigam agi,
vazhindhu odugiradhu........

Really am very much moved of HIM....

Shank
23rd February 2010, 06:08 PM
Digression (and advance apologies)
app engine & Suresh,

Srikanth has not been blogging much lately...his website is up and features a number of our latest releases. He and I have a music label and production company where we create albums, soundtracks for documentaries, short films etc. We released "H1Bees" in 2005 and "Padal" in 2007 both of which were good hits and were featured extensively in the media. We are currently working on a new album. We have also been working on a few feature films (crossover) and documentaries as well. We have been trying to do these part-time since both of us have other full time jobs.

On Srikanth's website (www.srikanthd.com), you can download our latest single "Yun Ghar Chala Mein" as well as "Engineering Marku" (sung by Tippu and GVP) from our "H1Bees" album as well as a number of other songs...Thanks for your support.

End digression...

app_engine
23rd February 2010, 07:49 PM
Thank you Shank, for the info. Nice to know that you're moving ahead in the music field!

Sureshji, I used to visit his srikanthd.blogspot.com (after he became inactive with dhool & the hub). He has written in detail there about his visit to the home of writer Sujatha & their discussion on TbI etc.

Now, here, you have the latest info from Shank on his current internet presence :-)

app_engine
23rd February 2010, 09:38 PM
While listening to 'rAmanin mOhanam' in the car, my daughter (not 4 yet) gave me a sweet surprise during first interlude -

"டாடி அது கித்தார் தானே? அண்ணன் வாசிக்கிற மாதிரி இருக்கு" (reference to my son's affair with his guitars) :-)

Yes, it's a lovely, brilliant and relatively long phrase of lead guitar with suppressed percussion sounds!

tvsankar
23rd February 2010, 10:05 PM
While listening to 'rAmanin mOhanam' in the car, my daughter (not 4 yet) gave me a sweet surprise during first interlude -

"டாடி அது கித்தார் தானே? அண்ணன் வாசிக்கிற மாதிரி இருக்கு" (reference to my son's affair with his guitars) :-)

Yes, it's a lovely, brilliant and relatively long phrase of lead guitar with suppressed percussion sounds!

app,
padichadhum pullarchi poiten....

IR fan aga irundhal 2 velai seivom..

1. Instrument kathupom

or

2. isntrument kathuka vaipom....

Yaruku instrument play panna theirdhalum, IR pit la
vizha vendiyadhu dhan....

so seekiram ponnaiyum Guitar class la serthidungo app.... :D

eagle
23rd February 2010, 11:10 PM
Last few days i have been listening to "enge nee sendraalum thodarnthu varum en raagam" from the movie "kannukkulle"....

This song as usual never made it to top 10 or had much airtime...

Listening to this number makes me feel like he is at the creative best and thanks to this commercial interests he is spared from competing with ordinary stuff really...

Sureshs65
23rd February 2010, 11:16 PM
Last few days i have been listening to "enge nee sendraalum thodarnthu varum en raagam" from the movie "kannukkulle"....

This song as usual never made it to top 10 or had much airtime...

Listening to this number makes me feel like he is at the creative best and thanks to this commercial interests he is spared from competing with ordinary stuff really...

eagle,

Welcome to the club :D 'Kannukulle' and 'Madhiya Chennai' are two very under-rated album, with only a few people writing about it. So nice to see you write about it now. Quality will eventually prevail and that is what will happen to 'Kannukulle'.

Sureshs65
23rd February 2010, 11:25 PM
Shank and app_eng,

Thanks for the links. I will download the music and listen to it.

ajithfederer
24th February 2010, 03:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ9rUMr2T5Q&feature=related

Does every girl look beautiful in a saree or is it just Amala?

:)

venus05
24th February 2010, 09:42 AM
Ushaji,

You nailed it down pretty much. Yes. The impact or influence of Raja is karpom...and/or karpippom.

It looks like you know the pulse of Raaja's fans.

App_engine:
I can very well relate to your feelings--sweet surprise.

I had the similar experience cuple of years ago.

Please find a fan from next generation playing Raaja's songs by ear. I was surprised when my daughter played kanne kalimane on keyboard (that time she was around 7 years) with lots of mistakes; She likes Raaja's songs along with her other favorites; interestingly, she likes to listen to Raajs's BGM from You Tube (you can never predict them!!!).

Ninnu Kori
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhFjHZQbcwU

BGM from Apporva Sagodharargal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0HAAGStWpQ

Sendhoorpavae...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdRyCOSHC4

Of course, there may be mistakes, still, I encourage her to try on Raaja's song/BGM. Yamm peratha inbam (playing Raaja's songs) next gen...peratumae.

(Main selfish reason... by pulling this string. in our long trips we play more number of Tamil songs compared to Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez..; I confess, I am only partially successful)
Thanks.

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 10:34 AM
venus,
how r u.....

thanks for the nice words.

youtube ellam pakkaren.

Early Morning - IR songs - sweet.

Instrument la kaetkum podhu innum sweet.

kathukaravanga vasichu kaetkum podhu - sweet romba adhigam.

(apo dhan theiryaradhu. Raja songs play panradhu evvalavu kashtam endru.)

anusha - vasikaradhil mistake nu solla mudiyadhu.

Inum therinjukanam.

therinja varai - nalla senju irukanga.

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 10:39 AM

Amala - saree la azhagu - inum vera paatu ellam iruku..

idhula Amala sumar dhan...

irir123
24th February 2010, 10:55 AM
"thom thomtha" from sindhu bhairavi! what a song and what an album ?!!

Sureshs65
24th February 2010, 11:05 AM
(Main selfish reason... by pulling this string. in our long trips we play more number of Tamil songs compared to Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez..; I confess, I am only partially successful)
Thanks.

Aaah. A soul mate :D The problem with my kids on long drives. So I have now I give them my mp3 player and play my songs on the car stereo. My wife is not very happy with the arrangement since she feels the kids need to listen to some of 'our' music as well. I tell her that if they have musical sense, they will land up in the right place. Atleast be happy they are listening to music!!! And yes, Taylor Swift, Linkedin Park et al are the staple diet of many teenagers in Bangalore as well.

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 12:46 PM

irir123,

idhu - sindhu biravi film la vara song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJp2KqnGg4w

indha paatai Raaja erotic la sollalamo????

carnatic signer in feelings......... haaaa
This is Raaja........

Neenga perusa edho saachicu irukeenga nu matum puriyaradhu.

Ennudaiya paaratukal ....

unga per enna?

raagas
24th February 2010, 03:28 PM

Difficult Ushagaaru :) The song's beginning lines are:

Like the clouds that walk in the skies,
Like the moon that is drenched in the rain...
everything is beautiful around you..
and every beauty around is for you...

raagas
24th February 2010, 03:29 PM
Listening to this song today and thought 'yaam petra inbum peruga ivvayagam' .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsgu0uhu7I&feature=related

The picturisation and dance are hilarious, though not intended :lol: While Raja uses some synth effects for this song, check out the interludes. The first interlude has some lovely sax, where the sax is not made to play completely. It is almost as if they are cut off abruptly. The second interlude has some lovely guitar playing, here too an urgency is seen in the guitar playing and they produce an effect which perfectly matches what is happening on screen.

hahaha.. never saw this. This film has a wonderful song "Daa Daa Daa Daagedhaa. Daasthe Daagedhaa"

raagas
24th February 2010, 03:34 PM

Digression/
Just Amala...thats all.. Just Amala... now that you asked.. Its just Amala.. Aaargh! How much I hate Nagarjuna (coz he married amala)!!

/end Digression

- sorry..an Amala fan here.. venting out :)

Bala (Karthik)
24th February 2010, 03:51 PM
Raagas,
I don't think there would be anyone who is NOT an Amala fan.
Nagarjuna, baed phLow :x

raagas
24th February 2010, 03:53 PM
Was listening to not just one song, but this whole album: http://www.paadal.com/album/oruvar_vazhum_aalayam

oruvar vazhum aalayam - What an album it is. Brilliant. Sheer diamond.

"Nee Pournami", "Malayorum Mayile", "Uyire uyire" and "Vaanin Devi" were familiar to me and i enjoyed them before.

But what was new to me is this stunner of a song "Pallaviye Saranam". Outstanding composition. I prostrated before IR, which was standing in front of me, but invisible to others. Ilaiyaraaja has composed very few in Khamas raagam. Hardly 3-4 songs. But this one stands tall. The best of all I think.

Sureshs65
24th February 2010, 07:30 PM
Bala,

Very bad phlow indeed !!! I still remember once, during a sales call, one guy who was close to the Nagarjuna family called Nagarjuna's house and Amala seems to have picked up the phone. My colleague and friend, almost tore my hand off when he pulled it hard and exclaimed, "He is talking to Amala, he is talking to Amala". Just the mere fact that Amala was on the other end of the line was enough for this guy to go into ecstasy. So you can imagine the impact Amala had on people.

Sureshs65
24th February 2010, 07:32 PM
raagas,

The whole 'oruvar vazhyum alayam' is diamond as you say.

Been listening to 'pothi vaitha malliga mottu' coincidentally after reading Jai's superb writeup. A 10/10 song no doubt.

irir123
24th February 2010, 08:33 PM

irir123,

idhu - sindhu biravi film la vara song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJp2KqnGg4w

indha paatai Raaja erotic la sollalamo????

carnatic signer in feelings......... haaaa
This is Raaja........

Neenga perusa edho saachicu irukeenga nu matum puriyaradhu.

Ennudaiya paaratukal ....

unga per enna?

en peyar sollikkolla virumbavillai - suffice it to know have modelled myself as a combo of (i) the protoganist from an Alistair Maclean novel, (ii) Mr.Nobody of the spaghetti westerns, and, (iii) Ludlum's Jason Bourne :D 8-)

irir123
24th February 2010, 08:36 PM
Raagas,
I don't think there would be anyone who is NOT an Amala fan.
Nagarjuna, baed phLow :x

Ah! Amala! why are you raking up old memories when Amala's sheer charm and elegantly graceful presence in cinema combined with the breezy elegant strokes of Maestro. IR's glorious late 80s, were an integral part of our lives ?!

Nagarjuna :evil: 'kili madhiri irundha amalavai, kotthikittu poyittanaey'

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 08:57 PM
Amala - Romba Azhaga irundha IR paatu

Vaa vaa kanna vaa - Velaikaran.

Bharatha natiya drress il - ponna ahzaga irupanga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5a9dAd2ML8

roja poo adi vandhadho

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCWh63DCDXw

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 09:00 PM
irir123,
ipadi type panna kashtama irukae nu dhan
unga per enna nu kaeten.

Neenga sonna per, vishaym - edhuuvm enaku
onnum theiryadhu...

inime unga per enna nu kaeka maten irir123 :oops: :D

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 09:17 PM
Naan unnae thanae kadhalichaenae - KSC

Tamizh kathundu, mazhalaiya padara KSC

love her pronounciation...

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00380.html

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 09:22 PM
nee koduthadha - both version by MVD and KSC

Enna oru composition, orchestration.............

Male version - about Bhavam - Erichal, kobam endra expression il irukum

female version - smooth a , oru thimirudan koodiya
love expression....

really i like it....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00359.html

Shank
24th February 2010, 10:11 PM
Oru Kaadhal Enbhadhu from Chinna Thambi Periya Thambi...what an awesome composition. Superb flow throughout the song with a great bass line in the prelude. The interludes are extremely melodious and flow beautifully with the stanzas. Allof IR's hallmarks like violins, flute etc are superbly used.

Many websites including Thiraipaadal wrongly credit this to GA...but this movie was by IR. This album has been a favorite of mine since it released.

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 10:14 PM
shank,
indha oru paatu dhan IR touch a iruku,
matha paatu ellam apadi thonalaiyae....

Shank
24th February 2010, 10:18 PM
Usha, listen carefully to "Maaman Ponnukku"...it's a superb song. There is sadness in the song as well though it's meant to be a celebration song. The pace of the song is awesome and is consistently handled brilliantly by IR.

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 10:20 PM
Usha, listen carefully to "Maaman Ponnukku"...it's a superb song. There is sadness in the song as well though it's meant to be a celebration song. The pace of the song is awesome and is consistently handled brilliantly by IR.

Shank,
oh. appadiya... tats all.

Shank sonna view la indha paata kaetutu varen.

vandhu - neenga sorladhai vazhi mozhiya poren. :D

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 10:28 PM
shank,
sorry pa. accept seiya mudiyalai.
vazhi mozhiya poradhu ilai.

IR = CONTROL THE SOUND...

Oru jeevan - touches our Heart.....

indha paatu la - Control ae ilali parunga....

Heart ai touch pannalai.

so idhu nichayam GA dhan shank......

bet kuda vaikaren.......

PARAMASHIVAN
24th February 2010, 10:28 PM
Om sivoham Om sivohoam,,

:noteworthy:

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 10:30 PM
confrim panungo shank..
pl gavanichu kelungo...

app_engine
24th February 2010, 10:30 PM
CT-PT was definitely by GA (Pirabhu - Sathyaraj - Nadhiya starrer)

Shank
24th February 2010, 10:49 PM
app engine is right...it is by GA. I have always thought it was by IR. I stand corrected.

tvsankar
24th February 2010, 10:51 PM
ana,
oru kadhal - sathiyama IR dhan.......

Sanjeevi
24th February 2010, 11:09 PM
CT-PT was definitely by GA (Pirabhu - Sathyaraj - Nadhiya starrer)

illa naan namba mAtten :cry2:

baroque
25th February 2010, 12:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuOvXSZaeuA
:ty: for the visual.
எந்த பூவிலும் வாசம் உண்டு
எந்த பாட்டிலும் ராகம் உண்டு
எந்தன் வாழ்விலும் அர்த்தம் உண்டு
புது உறவு புது நினைவு
லலலலாலல
தினம் தினம் ஆனந்தம் ஆனந்தம் .....முரட்டு காளை - எஸ் .ஜானகி - இளையராஜா's strings, flute, humming, tabla..

நானும் நம்ப மாட்டேன் என்று சொன்னேன்.... :D when I heard that it is also inspiration! :) then they played for me the original in the internet.
I LOVE IT ALWAYS!
may be I check out the original composition this evening..
vinatha. :)

priya32
25th February 2010, 01:06 AM
சின்னத்தம்பி பெரிய தம்பி திரைப்படத்துக்கு இசை அமைத்தது கங்கை அமரன்!

venus05
25th February 2010, 04:39 AM
Ushaji,
Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for bringing out several unknown gems of Raaja. Though I consider myself as an avid fan of Raaja, still I miss so many good songs from your list. Please keep your good work going. Thanks.

genesis
25th February 2010, 07:19 AM
Usha chEchi,

நிறம் பிரித்துப்பார்த்தேன் was the most celebrated song in tfmpage those days!

After reading the eloquent praises by knowledgeable df'ers like D Srikanth (also a composer) I searched around and got the cassette. It was on my audio all the time till I lost the cassette. Time also had kAdhal nee dhAnA (Unnikrishnan-Sujatha), thavikkiREn (HH-Bhava), nAn thanga rOjA (SPB-Swarnalatha) & muththu nagaiyE (KR-Bhava song) - good to hear songs but niRam piriththu is the top one.

And appreciated well in tfmpage too.

I believe the movie is a kuppai and this song was not even featured on-screen. So, didn't get the reach with the masses as much as kAdhal nee dhAnA & thavikkiREn, as this came in the "Prabhu Deva + SunTV" era where visuals were needed for a wide reach.

Still, true connoisseurs of tfm@tfmpage paid rich tributes to this song!

ஸ்ரீகாந்தின் பரிந்துரையின் காரணமாக "நிறம் பிரித்து பார்த்தேன்" பாடலை கேட்க வேண்டும் என்ற ஆவல் வந்தது. "தவிக்கிறேன்" பாடலை பல முறை கேட்டிருக்கிறேன், இந்த பாடலை நேற்று தான் முதல் முறையாய் கேட்டேன். 40-களில் வந்த ஆங்கில படங்களின் இசையை ஞாபகப்படுத்தினாலும், மிக அருமையான பாடல். இந்த பாடல் படத்தில் இடம் பெறவில்லையா? குப்பைக்குள் தொலைந்து போன ஒரு வைரம்.

crvenky
25th February 2010, 10:11 AM
Shankara ninnu from Kavidhai Malar:
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00292.html

Another humour song with VA Murthi's seshtais. Amazing how he tunes Paruvame with a Carnatic tint and waltz rhythm.

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 11:51 AM
Ushaji,
Thanks for the kind words. Thanks for bringing out several unknown gems of Raaja. Though I consider myself as an avid fan of Raaja, still I miss so many good songs from your list. Please keep your good work going. Thanks.

Thank you venus.. solliteenga illa... list poda vendiyadhu dhan.......

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 11:53 AM

Difficult Ushagaaru :) The song's beginning lines are:

Like the clouds that walk in the skies,
Like the moon that is drenched in the rain...
everything is beautiful around you..
and every beauty around is for you...

ragaas,
Thanks for the translation.

Difficult a???????
:evil: :evil:

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 12:28 PM
Om sivoham Om sivohoam,,

:noteworthy:

Thanks for the pick......

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 12:32 PM
genesis,
paatu pidichadha...... nice to hear......

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 12:44 PM
Ingu irukum kalam varaikum - Uma RAmanan

Edhir kaatru

IR's Solid Guitar....

ingu irukum
kalam varaikum
indha kuyil dhan
paatu padikum

wat a lovely lyrics.

pinnadi varum Guitar - enna solla........

Guitar speaks to Uma . But she did not recognise.

Uma Ramanin innocent expression - love her.....

Pagaivanum Vaazhu kodukum
manidhanukul Devan vaazhvan

lovely lyrics....

paasamae en keerthanam
ulagamae en uravinam
vervaiyum kannirayum
parkaiyil evvalvaiyum
urugumae en ila manam

Oru nimisham vaazhndha podhum
pala varusham pesa vendum

Ingu irukum - Uma Ramanan

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00159.html

Plum
25th February 2010, 12:46 PM
I remember how this movie's promos started. The poster or the promos did not have any photographs/videos of actors. Instead, it just had a pigeon and a rifle and the only line that blasted was "The King is back" and Ilaiyaraaja's name appeared. Then the movie title Anthapuram with Krishna Vamsy below it.

Oh I remember this raagas. I had just moved to Hyderabad; knew nothing of Telugu or Raja's ouevre in Telugu. Imagine my goosebumps as an unmistakably Raja's voice hums, and the caption goes the "King is back" -I knew it was IR and yet until the name Ilaiyaraja followed that caption, it was a mix of awe, joy and discovery that my man was King in this new land I have set foot, too.

Oh - on that day, I set forth on a discovery of Raja's non-tamil ouevre, a journey that has enriched my knowledge of 3 new languages and cultures. Truly, this man has impacted my life in more ways than merely providing music.

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 02:08 PM
Enga ooru - karakatakari

Wat a song..... Suresh writings padichutu paatai kaelunga....

am Stunned by the Great Beats....

Guitar and the instrument (replacement of flute)

Singers - touch my heart ...

2nd interlude - humming - lady signer done her Job Fantastically....

enga ooru - Tippu and Manjari -

suresh neenga solra malaiyala Manjari dhanae ivanga...

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00276.html

raagas
25th February 2010, 02:46 PM
Listening to the song "Unnai Naane" from a film called "Chinna Kuyil Paaduthu". Such a fantastic composition. The continuous strain of twinkling sounds run as an undercurrent all along the pallavi.

http://www.paadal.com/album/chinna_kuyil_paaduthu

I sense lot of Maayamaalavagowla in the charanams but again i feel there is a slight, very slight variation. I wonder whats the raagam used in the pallavi.

This is one thing that is absolutely phenomenal about IR. he challenges our knowledge and educates further in the process. I dont know what apt Gurudakshina we can ever give to him. Anything is just too small, for what he has offered. It is not an understatement when i say that life wouldnt be the same, without his music.

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 06:37 PM
எஙக ஓரு

ராஜா எப்போதும் ராஜாதான்.
அவர் மண்ணை சார்ந்த இசையை இழக்கவில்லை.

80ஆம் வருடஙளின் கிராமம் எப்படி இருந்ததோ.
அதைத் தான் அப்போது வெளிக்காட்டியது ராஜாவின் இசை.

அதைப் போலத்தான் இந்த கரகாட்டக்காரி

2000 வருடஙளின் கிராமத்தின் மண் வாச்னையை உணர வைத்து இருக்கிறார் இந்த ராஜா.

அவருடைய விசிறிகள்,இந்த ராஜாவை புரிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டிய ஒரு நிலை வந்து இருக்கிறது என்பதுதான்
என்னுடைய எண்ணம்.

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 06:43 PM
raagas,

i feel little bit Naatai flavour alaso...

tvsankar
25th February 2010, 11:05 PM
for a change,

Kaaka kaaka karupu than - Juli Ganapathi

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00225.html

wat a imagination.....

Ultimately Raaja sticks with the character..
tats all......

Nice Guitar works......

Sureshs65
26th February 2010, 12:08 AM
Thanks raagas for 'unnai naane'. Looks like I can pass some abstract algebra class but it would be difficult to decipher what Raja is trying to do.

The violins in the pallavi start as Mayamalavagowla but slowly seem to fade into Chalanata or is it Jog? The brief violin phrasing is very reminiscent of 'pani vizhum malar vanam'. The interlude violins definitely point to Mayamalavagowla. The charanams begin with the Mayamalavagowla flavor and slowly turn to Chalanata (or atleast that is what I think.) As usual you go mad but there is some method in the madness surely. Someone like Violin Vicky can decipher what is happening here because the whole sound is so consistent.

jaiganes
26th February 2010, 12:55 AM
Anaithu vidungal ungal cellphone from chidambarathil appasaami.
This is one Raaja song which is an excuse for interludes - world pop music tour dhaan ponga. The prelude is full synth stuff - but not the energy lacking stuff - full of power and tempo.

Also other songs from this movie - the picturisation was so lame, I had not paid much attention to this movie's song then. now when i hear the songs - they sound just right - I missed this bus.
particularly 'ponnaa porandha' splendid song and fabulous tune and the strings in interlude are GOLD.

jaiganes
26th February 2010, 01:06 AM
nice lyrics in the charanam - pallavi lyrics sound cliched but when i rewind myself to the situation - nothing else suits better.

jaiganes
26th February 2010, 03:52 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00202.html

sirichu maalalai for the first song...
thaanga mudiyaadha comedy indha song...
Freakout guys.. Other songs are rocking too!!!!

Sureshs65
26th February 2010, 10:37 AM
Jai,

I had once posted earlier regarding the 'keerthanarambatile' song. Saying this was a song which showcases the iconoclast in Raja and at the same time showcases his understanding of various instruments. Using only the mridangam he recreates even 'mehbooba mehbooba' !!! Extremely funny stuff.

tvsankar
26th February 2010, 11:22 AM
Kadhal nilavae - vasuki

Nichayam ipadi expect pannalai...

wat a imagination.... wat a creativity....

kadhal nilavae - MVD and Malgudi Subha

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00704.html

97 IR...... indha IR ai patri neraiya ninaithu parkiren....

tvsankar
26th February 2010, 07:45 PM
Nethirundha ulagam - KSC - Bharani

dono the instruments names.

lyris inspires me.....

Netrindhundha ulagam
inniki ilai
neeyum naanum idhula
nichayam ila

wat a true words...

tvsankar
26th February 2010, 07:55 PM
sorgathil Nikka - Rajastan

IR is IR.......... tats all.

Sanjeevi
27th February 2010, 12:26 AM
நல்வீணை நாதம் small but sad version of அழகே அமுதே. The sad not in words but feel it in music. The violin is chanceless and it synthesize sadness surrounded by fear. On the other hand the joy version, the great song, அழகே அமுதே (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8pLFiCOgaw) shows you a gentle cheerful. The flute and violin combo with pleasing percussion background wov great ludes.

போட்டதெல்லாம் வெற்றிக்கல்லு (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00077.html) is just an 'IR' song with striking, outstanding, superior second interlude. The pinnacle of this album for me is the fantabulous புன்னகையில் மின்சாரம் (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qMh7u6JcJM). What a rthym pattern and marvelous beats throughout the song which is boosted by fabulous vocals by Ilayaraja and kiddish S.Janaki. truly நெஞ்செல்லாம் ஜிகுஜிகுஜம்ஜம்.

Was listening பரதன் songs. Except Vaa Vaathiyara saved by K.Chithra, Bharathan is an outstanding album, indeed.

Sanjeevi
27th February 2010, 12:43 AM
After listening some times repeatedly அழகே அமுதே is forcing me to announce it is the new 'Everest' :). yes, I am in love with this song :D

rajkumarc
27th February 2010, 01:05 AM
particularly 'ponnaa porandha' splendid song and fabulous tune and the strings in interlude are GOLD.

:exactly: Ponna Porandha is such a soulful song. The tune and the orchestration are so mesmerising. I wonder who was the female singer. Her voice is so good and apt for that song.

I equally love Nalla Vazhvu from the same movie.

rajkumarc
27th February 2010, 01:12 AM
Listening to Edeya Baagilu and Swalpa Soundu from Suryakanthi. Both are stunning songs and sound so fresh.

Edeya Baagilu - This song has some much feel and sounds very modern/hip. Beautiful jazzy orchestration, the whole song oozes romance in every bit.

Swalpa Soundu - One heck of a song. I especially love the male chorus that go singing Swalpa Soundu. Reminds of similar male vocals in BoneyM (like No More Chain Gang).

jaiganes
27th February 2010, 03:18 AM
Sanjeevi,
It feels like 'Pottadhellaam vetrikkallu' was done for ARRahman than for Vijaykanth. That song fits the globe conquering musician that ARR is ever so well.

ajithfederer
27th February 2010, 09:49 AM
நிலா அது வானத்து மேலே
பலானது ஓடத்து மேலே

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeU8QrRv7Jc&feature=PlayList&p=5C82E41D79A9034F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

:2thumbsup:

tvsankar
27th February 2010, 11:08 AM
Ishtakari - sooriyan

Different IR....

http://www.raaga.com/channels/malayalam/moviedetail.asp?mid=M0001159

all songs are excellent....

tvsankar
27th February 2010, 11:22 AM
Prati thinam - Anumanaspadam

Enna solla indha IR ai.....

as usual, Gavanika vaikara thalam. very beautiful...

IR's Beats - He is the Owner..

Experts - neenga ellam indha paatai patri ezhudhinal
nanrga irukum.

baroque
27th February 2010, 11:06 PM
I know you are calling for the experts , they will arrive soon , elaborate on humming, bass line, kutti mirudhangam bit etc..for you.
but
I like to remind you to revisit/visit நானே ராஜா நானே மந்திரி - 80s இளையராஜா.
Remember the prelude Charukesi pathos humming by சுஷீலா in
மயங்கினேன் சொல்ல தயங்கினேன் ...alternates with joyous ஜெயச்சந்திரன் , tabala rhythm & flute calls and the strings lude. :musicsmile:

bedardi balma tujhko mera man....ONE of the finest LATA's pathos for ஷங்கர் ஜெய்கிஷன் .. soulful orchestration, tabla, sax, violin, flute.. for beautiful Sadhana.:clap:

I have a long drive to go now.
let me grab
நானே ராஜா நானே மந்திரி - 80s இளையராஜா , ரிக்க்ஷாக்காரன் - MSV , ஹிந்தி ARZOO - ஷங்கர் ஜெய்கிஷன் , SWADES...ரஹ்மான்
CDs...:ty: I am in joyous, jumpy mood this morning!:redjump:
Enjoy all the four good movies with amazing music. :swinghead:

அழகிய தமிழ் மகள் இவள்
இரு விழிகளில் எழுதிய மடல்....
வினதா.
வரட்டா...

venkkiram
28th February 2010, 10:11 AM
ஜல் ஜல் சலங்கை குலுங்க ஒரு தேவதை வந்தாள்! (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00502.html)

ஜெயச்சந்திரன் - சுவர்ணலதா குரலில் 1990 - 2000 வருட ராஜாவின் பாடல்களில் எனக்கு பிடித்த ஒன்று.

venkkiram
28th February 2010, 11:23 AM
1990 - 2000 ஆண்டு படங்களில் வந்த இன்னொரு பாடல்..

சிங்கார மானே பூந்தேனே (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00616.html)

படம்: தாய்மொழி

அப்போதைய காலக்கட்டத்தில் இதைத்தான் அடிக்கடி முணுமுணுத்துக் கொண்டிருப்பேன். குறிப்பா, இதன் தாளக்கட்டு எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடிக்கும்.

இந்தப் பாடலை இப்போது புதிதாக கேட்பவர்கள், இதன் இசையை வைத்து, பாடலின் சூழலை அடையாளம் கண்டுபிடியுங்கள் பார்ப்போம்?

Bala (Karthik)
28th February 2010, 12:55 PM
"Kunnathu" - Pazhassi Raaja
Peace :musicsmile: :ty: Chitra and Raaja

Bala (Karthik)
28th February 2010, 12:56 PM
Listening to Edeya Baagilu and Swalpa Soundu from Suryakanthi. Both are stunning songs and sound so fresh.

Edeya Baagilu - This song has some much feel and sounds very modern/hip. Beautiful jazzy orchestration, the whole song oozes romance in every bit.

Swalpa Soundu - One heck of a song. I especially love the male chorus that go singing Swalpa Soundu.
:exactly:

Sureshs65
28th February 2010, 03:12 PM
venki,

You do bring in lot of unknown songs (to me atleast). Thanks for pointing to these songs.

Loved the 'jal jal salangai oli' song. Never heard of this movie nor this song. The song seems to be based on the raga Kalyanavasantham. (The same raga used by MSV in 'kanchi pattuduthi.)

raagas: You may want to check out this song if you haven't heard it earlier. Creates a lovely atmosphere.

'singara maane poonthene' has a lovely rhythm as Venky says. Looks like it is sung by the hero to an uninterested heroine. The charanams are tuned wonderfully.

Shakthiprabha
28th February 2010, 03:29 PM
1990 - 2000 ஆண்டு படங்களில் வந்த இன்னொரு பாடல்..

படம்: தாய்மொழி

இந்தப் பாடலை இப்போது புதிதாக கேட்பவர்கள், இதன் இசையை வைத்து, பாடலின் சூழலை அடையாளம் கண்டுபிடியுங்கள் பார்ப்போம்?

mmm haven't heard. Does it involve a gang of young women and men generally having fun ie. eligible bachelors seekig eligible bachelorettes types?

venkkiram
28th February 2010, 09:45 PM

mmm haven't heard. Does it involve a gang of young women and men generally having fun ie. eligible bachelors seekig eligible bachelorettes types?

சரியான யூகம். ஆனால் கவனிக்க வேண்டியது, இது நடந்தேறும் இடம். குறிஞ்சி, முல்லை, மருதம், நெய்தல் போன்ற இடங்களுக்கு தனித்தனியான தாளவகைகளை வைத்திருக்கிறார் ராஜா என்பதை அவர் பாடல்களை, குறிப்பாக நாயகன்-நாயகி மட்டும் தனியே பாடாமல் இப்படி நண்பர்களுடன், குழுவினர்களுடன் சேர்ந்து பாடும் பாடல்களை உற்றுநோக்கினால் தெரியவரும் அடிப்படை விஷயம். இந்தப் பாடலின் தாளக்கட்டு கண்டிப்பாக, வயலும் வயலும் சார்ந்த இடம் கிடையாது என்பதை குறிப்பால் உணர்த்துகிறது. படத்தில், இப்பாடல் ஒரு நெய்தல் நிலத்தில் நடந்தேறும் ஒரு நிகழ்வு.

rajasaranam
28th February 2010, 11:23 PM
ஜல் ஜல் சலங்கை குலுங்க ஒரு தேவதை வந்தாள்! (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00502.html)

ஜெயச்சந்திரன் - சுவர்ணலதா குரலில் 1990 - 2000 வருட ராஜாவின் பாடல்களில் எனக்கு பிடித்த ஒன்று.

அஹா! அற்புதமான ஒரு பாடலை நினைவுப்படுத்தியமைக்கு நன்றி பல கோடி. இந்த பாடலை சில ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன் முதல் முறை கேட்ட பொழுது திகைத்து போனேன். எப்படி இந்த பாடல் என் கவனத்தில் இருந்து தப்பியது என! பின் தொடர்ந்து இந்த பாடலை மட்டும் கேட்டு கொண்டு மோன நிலையில் இருந்தேன் சில நாட்கள். வானில் இருந்து இறங்கி வந்த தேவதையை பாட இதை விட சிறப்பாய் இனி ஒரு பாடல் அமைந்து விட கூடுமா என்ன? வின்ணை தாண்டி வரும் இசை இதுதான், இது மட்டும்தான் என அறுதியிட்டு கூறவேன் நான்.

90களின் பல பாடல்கள் இப்படி பெயர் அறியா, பெட்டிக்குள் சுருண்ட பல படங்களில் சிக்கி கொண்டுள்ளன அதை வெளி கொண்டு வந்து ரசிகர்களுக்கு அறிமுகப்படுத்துவதில் உங்கள் பங்கை வரவேற்க்கிறேன்.

venkkiram
1st March 2010, 02:58 AM
நன்றி சுரேஷ் மற்றும் ராஜாசரணம்.

சரியோ சரியோ நான் காதலித்தது (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00153.html)

ம.வாசுதேவன் - ஜானகியின் கூட்டணியில் மற்றுமொரு மனதைக் கவரும் 1990 - 2000 பாடல்.

இந்தப் பாடலை பல நேரம் ஹம் செய்யும் போது பல இடங்களில் என்னையும் அறியாமல் பல்வேறு பாட்டுகளுக்கு தடம் மாறி பயணித்ததுண்டு. இந்தப் பாடலின் ராகத்தை அப்படியே தடம் மாறாமால் பாடி முடிப்பது கயிற்றில் நடப்பது போல என நினைக்கிறேன்.

பல்லவி , சரணங்களில் வரும் "நிறுத்தி நிறுத்தி செல்லும்" தாளக்கட்டும், பாடல் முழுவதும் தொடர்ந்து வரும் "ஜல் ஜல்" சத்தமும் மனதை கவர்பவை.

அது என்னவென்று தெரியவில்லை. ம.வாசுதேவனை தேர்வு செய்தாலே அந்தப் பாத்திரத்தின் குரலில் ஒரு வெள்ளந்தித் தனமிக்க கிராமத்தான் வந்து விடுகிறான்.

baroque
1st March 2010, 04:11 AM
சரியோ சரியோ நான் காதலித்தது (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00153.html)

IR reused the tune from his malayalam film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HijnA_PlZd4
puzhayoraththil......Adharvam...80s ilayaraja malayalam.
chithra's solo.....interlude humming and the haunting flute lude divine to learn ராகம் புன்னாகவராளி gamakam.
அய்யே மெத்தக்கடினம்......கோபாலக்ருஷ்ண பாரதி பாடல்.....ஸ்ரீமதி .அருணா சாய்ராம்
thavathaa sogam dhaasarathey ...Thyagaiya by ராதா ஜெயலக்ஷ்மி :musicsmile:

Vinatha.

venkkiram
1st March 2010, 04:21 AM
ஒரு ராகம் தராத வீணை (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00685.html)
நல்லக் காதல் சொல்லாத பெண்மை
இந்த மண்ணில் ஏனடி
பதில் கூறு கண்மணி
அழகான கைகள் மீட்டும் வேளை..

ஏசுதாஸ்-ஜானகி குரல்களில் வந்த இந்த அருமையான இசைப்பாடல் இங்கு நிறைய பேருக்கு பரிச்சயமாக இருந்தாலும் சிறு நினைவூட்டல் செய்வதில் மகிழ்ச்சியே.

"உன்னை வாழ்த்திப் பாடுகிறேன்" - படம் வெளியான நாட்களில் இன்னொரு பாடலான "ஓ..காலைக் குயில்களே" பாடலும், மேற்குறிப்பிட்ட "ஒரு ராகம்" பாடலும் பிரபலமானப் பாடல்கள்.

இந்த இரு பாடல்களையும் தவிர, பாலு - மின்மினி குரலில் வரும் "ஒரு மாலைச் சந்திரன்" டூயட்டும், "உன்னை வாழ்த்த வந்தேன் எந்தன் க(ன்)னித்தமிழ் நீயில்லையோ" என்ற ஏசுதாஸின் கர்நாடக சங்கித ரசப்பாடலும் நான் ரசித்து கேட்டப் பாடல்கள்.

குறிப்பாக, "உன்னை வாழ்த்த வந்தேன்" - எனது பள்ளி நண்பன் ஒருவன்..நல்லப் பாடகன்.. அழகாக சுரம் பிசகாமல் இந்தப் பாடலை பள்ளி ஓய்வு நேரத்தில் பாடி காண்பித்தது இன்னும் கண்ணில் நிழலாடுகிறது.

venkkiram
1st March 2010, 07:54 AM
சித்திரக்கிளி பக்கமிருக்கு (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00085.html)

திரைப்படம் : சின்னத்தேவன் (1993)

சொர்ணலதாவின் குரலில் எந்தவொரு பாடல் வந்தாலும், அப்போதெல்லாம் மறக்காமல் மனதில் வைத்து, அடுத்து வரும் கேசட் பதிவில் சேர்த்து விடுவதுண்டு.

ராஜாவின் சில பாடல்களில் ஒரு விதத் தன்மையை கவனிக்கலாம். சதுரங்க விளையாட்டில் ஆரம்பத்திலேயே சில காய் நகர்த்தல்களிலேயே எதிராளி செக் மேட் வைத்தால் நாம் எப்படி திண்டாடப்படுவோமா அப்படி ஒரு உணர்வு. ஆரம்ப இசையின் போக்கை கவனித்தால், நாம் எதிர்பார்த்ததிற்கு மாறாக ஆச்சர்யப்படுத்தும் ராக அமைப்பு பல்லவியில். "அச்சச்சோ அச்சச்சோ" என்ற பல்லவியின் உருமாற்றம் நல்ல கற்பனை.

baroque
1st March 2010, 08:06 AM
:ty: for ஒரு ராகம்......
ரொம்ப அருமையான ராகம் ஸ்ரீரஞ்சனி.
இதே நேரத்தில் வந்த கோபுர வாசலிலே .......நாதம் எழுந்ததடி....யேசுதாஸ் & ஜானகி is my favorite song . :musicsmile:
I like பார்த்திபன் movies. :swinghead:
இவன், கண்ணாடிப்பூக்கள்,
பொண்டாட்டி தேவை, அழகி,
காக்கை சிறகினிலே,தாலாட்டு பாடவா,
நீ வருவாய் என,
வெற்றிக்கொடி கட்டு etc...
வினதா :)

Sureshs65
1st March 2010, 10:55 AM
venki,

As Usha would say, you have give us a lot of homework!! Let me listen to these songs one by one and post my response. Thanks once again for introducing us to these numbers, many of which I have not heard.

Shakthiprabha
1st March 2010, 11:13 AM
சரியான யூகம். ஆனால் கவனிக்க வேண்டியது, இது நடந்தேறும் இடம். குறிஞ்சி, முல்லை, மருதம், நெய்தல் போன்ற இடங்களுக்கு தனித்தனியான தாளவகைகளை வைத்திருக்கிறார் ராஜா என்பதை அவர் பாடல்களை, குறிப்பாக நாயகன்-நாயகி மட்டும் தனியே பாடாமல் இப்படி நண்பர்களுடன், குழுவினர்களுடன் சேர்ந்து பாடும் பாடல்களை உற்றுநோக்கினால் தெரியவரும் அடிப்படை விஷயம். இந்தப் பாடலின் தாளக்கட்டு கண்டிப்பாக, வயலும் வயலும் சார்ந்த இடம் கிடையாது என்பதை குறிப்பால் உணர்த்துகிறது. படத்தில், இப்பாடல் ஒரு நெய்தல் நிலத்தில் நடந்தேறும் ஒரு நிகழ்வு.

Interesting :)
micha paadalgaLai ketkum aarvam thoondappadugirahtu, ungaL ezhuthu nadaiyil. nandri.

rajasaranam
1st March 2010, 11:17 AM
Was browsing through 'Ponnuketha Purushan' folder in Thiraipaadal site and found 'Paal ninainthuttum'. Surprised to know that Raaja has tuned for Thriuvaasaagam verse earlier too and had used the same tune in his magnum opus album Thiruvaasagam :D

Sureshs65
1st March 2010, 11:18 AM
---- Duplicate post deleted --------------

tvsankar
1st March 2010, 06:31 PM
Pachi pala - varasudochadu.

told by narayan in quiz thread.

nice no. thanks narayana.

suresh launguage il - nejama than - idhan first time
am listening.......

Impresses me........

tvsankar
1st March 2010, 06:36 PM
RS,
Kadhak style song - Jal Jal salangai
nyabagam varamal
kashta patundu iruken.

thanks for mentioning...

srimal
1st March 2010, 06:54 PM
i heard this one on fm today...

pattu thalaivan padinaal pattuthaan.... i think idhayakovil

ilayaraja + spb + janaki = absolutely stunning

the humming, hiccups... absolute class.. and they all seem to do it so effortlessly...

mike mohan was so lucky to be associated with so many of ilayaraja's melodies...

tvsankar
1st March 2010, 08:42 PM
kombula poova suthi - Virumandi

wat a song........... WoW................

Beats - idhu dhan Raja......

Sureshs65
1st March 2010, 08:46 PM
srimal,

Very true about Mohan. I don't what in him inspired Raja to give such songs. Maybe he knew the film had to run only on the strength of the songs !!! :)

There were some who were lucky that they got songs composers at their peak. Rajesh Khanna immediately comes to mind with R D Burman giving some outstanding music for him. In earlier days it was Bharath Bhushan who was propped up by some lovely music.

Renault
1st March 2010, 10:00 PM
Continuing with Mohan.

I am stuck by the song.. Aaavaram Kattukul from Archanai Pookkal... what a composition.

Tough to believe, I heard this song for the first time 4-5 days back. I woke up this morning humming this song.. That's the power of Raja's songs.. just touches soul.

Renault
1st March 2010, 10:01 PM
Aaavaram Kaattukul can be listened from this link:

http://thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00057.html

Would love to hear all your feedbacks on this song.

venkkiram
2nd March 2010, 01:56 AM
ஒரு ஆலம்பூவு அத்திப்பூவ பார்த்ததுண்டா (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00523.html)

ராஜா-சித்ரா குரல்களில்.

படம் : புண்ணியவதி (1997)

naarayanan
2nd March 2010, 09:09 AM
Continuing with Mohan.

I am stuck by the song.. Aaavaram Kattukul from Archanai Pookkal... what a composition.

Tough to believe, I heard this song for the first time 4-5 days back. I woke up this morning humming this song.. That's the power of Raja's songs.. just touches soul.

No surprise. there is a youtube on how raja composes (mgsreekumar and raja on amrita tv).

after watching the video i started humming the tune. 'maano mayilo..........something'.

venkkiram
2nd March 2010, 10:35 AM
ராஜா-ஜானகி இணைந்து பாடிய பாடல் என்றாலே குறைந்த பட்ச உத்தரவாதம் இருக்கும். மறு பேச்சு சொல்லாமல் மனதை திறந்து வைத்து கேட்கலாம். அப்படிப்பட்ட ஒரு பாடல் "பிரியங்கா" பட ஒலிநாடாவில் மட்டுமே அமைந்திருக்கும் "ஞாபகம் இல்லையோ என்னைக் கண்டதும் காதல் கொண்டதும் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00518.html)". நாடோடித் தென்றல் "ஒரு கணம் ஒரு யுகமாக" போன்றதொரு ஜானகி-ராஜா பாடல். ஒரே பாடலில் இருவரும் தனித்தனியாக பாடி முடிப்பார்கள். முதல் முறை கேட்டவுடனையே இசை போதையில் மிதக்க ஆரம்பித்தேன். இன்னும் கேட்டுக்கொண்டுதான் இருக்கிறேன். 1990-2000 பத்தாண்டுகளில் வந்த அரிதான ஜானகி-ராஜா பாடல்களில் எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்த ஒன்று.

படத்தில் வேறோரு பாடகர் பாடி, அந்த ராகம் மீது ராஜாவிற்கு ஒரு அதீதக் காதல் இருக்குமாயின் ஒலி நாடாவில் அவரும் அதே பாடலை தனியாக உணர்வுப்பூர்வமாக பாடியிருப்பார். இதிலும் "ஞாபகம் இல்லையோ" பாடலுக்கு அப்படிப்பட்ட தனிப்பட்ட வடிவம் உண்டு.

கல்லூரி விடுதிகளில் எப்போதாவது நடக்கும் அந்தாக்ஷ்ரிகளில் "ஞா" என்ற வார்த்தை எனக்கு வந்தால் தன்னிச்சையாக ஆரம்பிக்கும் தூரத்தில் இந்தப் பாடல் என்னோடு ஊறிப்போயிருந்தது. இதைப் பாட ஆரம்பித்தவுடன் நண்பர்கள் என்னை ஏதோ வேற்று கிரக ஆசாமி போல பார்த்து, "எந்தப் படம்டா இது! டேய் உண்மைய சொல்லு, உன்னோட சொந்தப் பாட்டுதானே! இவன்கிட்ட careful-ஆ இருக்கனும்டா, விட்டா, இவனே ஒரு ட்யூன் போட்ருவான்" என கலாய்ப்பார்கள்.

crvenky
2nd March 2010, 10:44 AM
Aasai madhana from the movie Jothie:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00224.html

What a song!! A fusion of Carnatic, dappanguthu & His favourite guitar!! What else do you need? Excellent singing by Shailaja.

raagas
2nd March 2010, 11:46 AM
Aasai madhana from the movie Jothie:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00224.html

What a song!! A fusion of Carnatic, dappanguthu & His favourite guitar!! What else do you need? Excellent singing by Shailaja.

Brilliant Song. It keeps changing colours, although the tune in charanams doesnt change. Definitely a good experiment. Wonderful. The singer also deserves the credit. Never heard this before.

Thanks for posting it here.

tvsankar
2nd March 2010, 12:18 PM
வெங்கிராம்,
உங்களின் எழுத்தில், ஒரு அழகான அறிமுகம் கிடைததது
"ஞாபகம் இல்லையோ" பாடலுக்கு.....

ராஜாவின் இசையில் இருக்க்கும் அழகை, உஙகளின்
எழுத்தில் படித்து மகிழ்கிறேன்.

தயவு செய்து உஙளின் பணியை தொடர்ந்து செய்யுங்கள்.

tvsankar
2nd March 2010, 12:19 PM
crv,
indha paatai intro seidhadharku nanri..

tvsankar
2nd March 2010, 12:32 PM
asai madhana

venki - super song. very nice rendition by SPS.

paatu arambikum style - siridhum ninaika vaikavilali... oru fusion aga maarum endru.....

vaada kanna
poda kanna

idhu Raaja ... Shailaja purinju nalla padi irukanga...

tvsankar
2nd March 2010, 12:42 PM
Nee thoongum nerathil - sadhana

பாடலை ஆரம்பிக்கும் பாடகியின் குரலின் பின்னே ஒலிக்கும் இசை - கடிகார முள்ளின் சத்தம்,
இரவை உணர்த்தும் இசை அமைப்பு, பாடகியின் பாடும் உணர்வு

இந்த பாடலை எத்தனை முறை கேட்டாலும், இதுவரையிலும்
அலுக்காத ஒரு அழகான பாடல்

tvsankar
2nd March 2010, 01:02 PM
Pakkathula - Chinna durai

beautiful tune.......

lyrics is tooooooo nice......

simple guitar, flute - haunting sounds.......

very nice no...

thumburu
2nd March 2010, 04:19 PM
"sariyo sariyo" reminds me of "raja raja thaan" of "oru ooril oru raajakumari" . It seems to have a blend of Shivaranjini and Mohanam.
"Oru aalam poovu" also seems to be set to Shivaranjini, Especially in this, I like this Raja's controlled way of composing this scale without bringing forth the melancholy [oppaari] element inherent in this raga. JK :)

நன்றி சுரேஷ் மற்றும் ராஜாசரணம்.

ம.வாசுதேவன் - ஜானகியின் கூட்டணியில் மற்றுமொரு மனதைக் கவரும் 1990 - 2000 பாடல்.

இந்தப் பாடலை பல நேரம் ஹம் செய்யும் போது பல இடங்களில் என்னையும் அறியாமல் பல்வேறு பாட்டுகளுக்கு தடம் மாறி பயணித்ததுண்டு. இந்தப் பாடலின் ராகத்தை அப்படியே தடம் மாறாமால் பாடி முடிப்பது கயிற்றில் நடப்பது போல என நினைக்கிறேன்.

பல்லவி , சரணங்களில் வரும் "நிறுத்தி நிறுத்தி செல்லும்" தாளக்கட்டும், பாடல் முழுவதும் தொடர்ந்து வரும் "ஜல் ஜல்" சத்தமும் மனதை கவர்பவை.

அது என்னவென்று தெரியவில்லை. ம.வாசுதேவனை தேர்வு செய்தாலே அந்தப் பாத்திரத்தின் குரலில் ஒரு வெள்ளந்தித் தனமிக்க கிராமத்தான் வந்து விடுகிறான்.

PARAMASHIVAN
2nd March 2010, 05:00 PM
i heard this one on fm today...

pattu thalaivan padinaal pattuthaan.... i think idhayakovil

ilayaraja + spb + janaki = absolutely stunning

the humming, hiccups... absolute class.. and they all seem to do it so effortlessly...

mike mohan was so lucky to be associated with so many of ilayaraja's melodies...

humming, hiccups this SPB's trademark mastery, which no one has yet learned...

Regarding Mohan, he survived due to SPB, IR , SNS as he was just an verage actor

ajithfederer
3rd March 2010, 12:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQeJhXVb-Vc&feature=related

Thoongatha vizhigal

For me AN is the best IR sir album.

buggle
3rd March 2010, 03:59 AM
Listened to Punnagayil minsaram from Bharathan.
This song has the fast beat and tempo and the "very" casual rendering by IR - esp at the end...was different and amazing. One of the best IR /SJ combo

Sureshs65
3rd March 2010, 08:59 AM
'toongadha vizhigal' is another classic case of top class fusion. The 'amirythavarshi' ragam has never been presented in such a fascinating manner before. The carnatic base and the western instrumentation combine together in a seamless fashion to create magic. Lovely singing as well.

venkkiram
3rd March 2010, 09:00 AM
தம்பிக்கு ஒரு பாட்டு (1991)

"தைமாதம் கல்யாணம் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00631.html)" - ஜெயச்சந்திரன் - சொர்ணலதா குரலில் ஒரு மெலடி.

irir123
3rd March 2010, 09:40 AM
A classic for all times! Kamal and IR came together to give this gem, which sounds so fresh even today and is the signature for the entire script of one of the alltime great tamil fims, "thevar magan" - the song 'potri paadadi ponney' - the original full version is seeped in the culture of the area and the people around which the script revolves and forms the foundation for the entire film - a perfect beginning to a perfect film

I cannot think of any other composer who can compose music with such fidelity and loyalty to a given script! thanks a million to Kamal for the script which brought out such a timeless gem from IR!

venkkiram
3rd March 2010, 09:48 AM
அருண்மொழி குரலில் இதே ராகத்தில் இன்னொரு பாடல்(சாந்து பொட்டு) இருந்தாலும், எனக்கென்னமோ கங்கை அமரனின் குரல்தான் (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00718.html) அப்படியே ஒரு வாடிப்பட்டி மாப்பிள்ளையின் கிண்டலை நினைவுபடுத்துகிறது. ராஜாவின் இசையில் வரும் கிராமியப்பாடல்களுக்கு தனது குரல் சரியான தேர்வுதான் என்பதை வழக்கம் போல ஷைலஜா பறைசாற்றுகிறார்.(இதுதான் தமிழில் ஷைலஜாவின் கடைசிப் பாடலா ராஜாவின் இசையில்?)

பாட்டு முடியும் போது, அப்படியே தொடர்ந்து முடிவிலியாக ஒலித்துக்கொண்டே இருந்தால் என்ன என்ற ஏக்கமே வருகிறது. குத்துன்னா இப்படித்தான் இருக்கணும்!

eagle
3rd March 2010, 11:56 AM
"adipattam thedi" from MMKR... been hearing this song many times for the past few days...folk song but not so many authentic folk instruments..humming part is so wonderful...taking you to higher planes... with each turns...a sophisticated village melody...without undue stress to make it sound different...if you understand what i mean :)

tvsankar
3rd March 2010, 12:23 PM
eagle,
give me the link to hear and to download.......

raagas
3rd March 2010, 12:25 PM
I just listened to "Shiva karuda" from "Kochu Kochu Santhoshangal". Beautiful song in Shubhapanthuvaraali. I love the way the rhythm cycle changes in the song. Lot of dholak(or similar instrument) in the song and the player has been given a tough time, just like the singers. I think that percussion is like the 3rd singer in the song. equal importance. Brilliant.

Plum
3rd March 2010, 01:06 PM
raagas, Raja seemed to be in a mood for percussive innovation in KKS.
Ghanashyama alters between mridangam, tabla and synthetic drums in a heady way. And then shiva kara damaruga as you say
(btw, it is not shiva karuda :-) )

tvsankar
3rd March 2010, 01:20 PM
aadi pattam - Flute has Beautiful punctuations.....

Ennoda favourite IR's Madhyamavathi????

lady chorus - so sweet.........

Beats - Raaja is the owner....

Mano's rendition - i love his voice. Innocent voice he has.......

KSC - porupa samatha padi irupanga. analum nalla irukum...

raagas
3rd March 2010, 01:39 PM
"adipattam thedi" from MMKR... been hearing this song many times for the past few days...folk song but not so many authentic folk instruments..humming part is so wonderful...taking you to higher planes... with each turns...a sophisticated village melody...without undue stress to make it sound different...if you understand what i mean :)

which song is this?

tvsankar
3rd March 2010, 01:45 PM
eagle,
download link kandu pidichuten.,

raagas,

this is the link to download. pl listen this song.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yxteyxnnnmj

tvsankar
3rd March 2010, 02:40 PM
ipodhenna thevai - Makkal aatchi
- KSC

IR paatai kaekara oru arivu varum podhu,

paatai keatal - Song has a new dimention and looks like a new one..........

i have this experience to hear this song ...........

95 IR...............

eagle
3rd March 2010, 03:52 PM
eagle,

raagas,

Please buy this album....this CD is available for just 75 rupees only (combo of MMKR, nadigan & paadum paravaigal and so many old albums are getting released every month by oriental, aditya and hope agi will join soon)... nowadays i dont find any justification for downloading MP3 versions....

We have to buy his albums to make audio companies realize that Raaja is still having commercial value thus by encouraging them to approach Raaja for any new ventures...and for Raaja also gets confidence about his saleability....

Remember the only request he is making to his fans is buy original versions of his albums.... :|

Cant we do this little favor for the man who gave so much to us?

tvsankar
3rd March 2010, 04:06 PM
eagle,

raagas,

Please buy this album....this CD is available for just 75 rupees only (combo of MMKR, nadigan & paadum paravaigal and so many old albums are getting released every month by oriental, aditya and hope agi will join soon)... nowadays i dont find any justification for downloading MP3 versions....

We have to buy his albums to make audio companies realize that Raaja is still having commercial value thus by encouraging them to approach Raaja for any new ventures...and for Raaja also gets confidence about his saleability....

Remember the only request he is making to his fans is buy original versions of his albums.... :|

eagle,
understood. i always try to buy orignal cds.
anyway, got your point......

raagas
4th March 2010, 12:22 PM
eagle,

raagas,

Ayyo! I just wanted to know which song was it. Because MMKR had these songs:

1. Katha kelu
2. Siva raathri
3. Rum bum
4. Sundari
5. Per vachaalum

This song is new to me. I dont remember listening to it or even watching it anytime. Was it picturised? or was it part of cds? I have MMKR in telugu and it has the above 5 songs. I was wondering what is this new song and where did it pop up from?

rajasaranam
4th March 2010, 01:04 PM
Ayyo! I just wanted to know which song was it. Because MMKR had these songs:

1. Katha kelu
2. Siva raathri
3. Rum bum
4. Sundari
5. Per vachaalum

This song is new to me. I dont remember listening to it or even watching it anytime. Was it picturised? or was it part of cds? I have MMKR in telugu and it has the above 5 songs. I was wondering what is this new song and where did it pop up from?

Apart from these 5 songs there were 2 more songs in the first edition of the Audio Cassette. I still remember the tune of both the songs though I've heard them more than 18 years ago.
'Aadi pattam thedi' & 'Mathapoovu oru Penna Aagatha' are great melodies, especially the later one sung by Chithra was a song which I loved the most in the album. Unfortunately I've not heard it since early 90's after my original cassette got missed. Iam hoping for the day when some kind soul will upload the song in good quality. The Recent rerelease of MMKR by Oriental records has however brought back 'Aadi pattam Thedi' :)

raagas
4th March 2010, 01:30 PM
RS,

Thanks for that info. I never knew it. I searched for it on the internet and came across this deleted song from Apoorva sahodhiragal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB1tBFm5nqg

We also heard "Solladha", a delete song from "Mahanadhi". Then "Engeyum", a Lata Mangeshkar song from Satya was never picturised. Lookslike Kamal Haasan films have lot of unused or deleted songs :)

But now, the question is.. how can we get Mathapoovu Oru?

raagas
4th March 2010, 02:01 PM
I was listening to Thambi Pondatti.

The song "Kannan Vandhadhaale" is an amazing composition. I first listened to this on a tape i bought which was titled "Classical Gems of Ilaiyaraaja. Its been a favourite since then.

tvsankar
4th March 2010, 08:24 PM
Thaniyaga naan enna kaetpen - IR - Geethanjali devotional

manasu kashta padum podhu - Raaja's Bhakthi padal pola oru medicine ilai.......

tvsankar
4th March 2010, 08:27 PM
Bichai paathiram - IR - Raajavin Ramanamalai

tvsankar
4th March 2010, 08:33 PM
kaaranam indri kannir - raajavin Ramanamaalai - IR

Sanjeevi
4th March 2010, 11:57 PM
I was listening to Thambi Pondatti.

The song "Kannan Vandhadhaale" is an amazing composition. I first listened to this on a tape i bought which was titled "Classical Gems of Ilaiyaraaja. Its been a favourite since then.

Thanks raagas, I remember this song during the release time of this movie. After 10+ years I listen this song.

Thanks again for you because this songs reminded me another forgotten gem which is double better than "Kannan Vandhadaale" song. Listen IR & swarnalatha sung Paaddi Kuyile song a marvelous song indeed. Naangal and Thambi pondatti were released in same time.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00398.html

Pure bliss

This is strong contender of No. 1 song of swarnalatha :) and I am proud to announce that I am mad of this song :D. But the above site doesn't have swarnalatha version :(

Sureshs65
5th March 2010, 12:38 AM
raagas,

Thanks for the 'thambi pondati' number. Seems to be based on Brindavana Saranga. A very nice and smooth number. I am reminded of one song from 'Kavalaipadadhe Sagodhara'. Check out the song 'chinna chinna'. It also has the Brindavana Saranga / Madhyamavathi touch. A very nice song. Also check out 'arule arul maniye'. Infact the album as a whole is very nice.

Sureshs65
5th March 2010, 12:42 AM
Sanjeevi,

Thanks for introducing me to this excellent song. Starts as a Madhyamavathi number but the raga does change in the charanam. Bliss, as you say.

Sureshs65
6th March 2010, 01:02 AM
Plum,

I know you were looking for this earlier. Not sure you got it. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjmM6nHSyoE

Lovely song but very ordinary picturization by K Vishwanath's standards.

tvsankar
6th March 2010, 01:22 AM
enna ragam suresh

sila portions

Sindhiya venmani paatai nyabagam padutharadhae ?

venus05
6th March 2010, 04:52 AM
Ushaji,
The two albums Geethanjali and Rajaavin Ramanamai are very special (close) to my heart not only for the musical content but also for lyrical and emotional contents. Raaja, the mugician (not a typo), takes control our minds through his emotional rendition.

When I first heard "Ennathu Udalaum" song, at least I repeated the prelude(flute) at least for 15 times. Even today, whenever I hear this song, I repeat the prelude at least once.

I heard that the lyrics for this album is by Rajaa.

There are few lines which are I think very good.

1. "Poorullukku Alginrra Porrullaarra vazhalkayum thuratthuthae".

2. "Manathu onru irrukinrathae ennathu enrru thavikinnrathe, ennathu manum azhainthidavae"-- attachement to the "Ego" "I"--I love the varthai vilaiyattu

3. There are several lines from "Pichai Pathiram"

4. "Aynthu pulanum adangi pogum AAnai thanai podanum" -- he is clearely mentioning that he is still striving to overcome the influences of his pulans; he is not Gnani yet.

I like all the songs in this album and I like the interludes of Geethanjai songs just for their simplicity.

Whenever I hear "Maranthaen Priran thaen maram poll valarnthaen" song, my mind goes to "Tharai mael pirakka vaithan engalai Thannereeil mithakka vaithan" from Padakotti. I do not know it is because of the melancholic mood which is common for both of these songs.

Thanks for bringing up these songs for discussion. Thanks.

Plum
6th March 2010, 07:40 AM
Plum,

I know you were looking for this earlier. Not sure you got it. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjmM6nHSyoE

Lovely song but very ordinary picturization by K Vishwanath's standards.

Suresh, I had found it, and regretted it, earlier here (http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2002080&sid=f990d7dc7dbe9794799dbfe075b42b2f#2002080)

:=)

Sureshs65
6th March 2010, 07:41 AM
venus,

The two Ramana albums you mentioned and the latest one released 'Ramana Charanam Saranam' have some very touching moments. 'karanam indri kanner varum', 'endhan udalum', 'annamalai ennai thannal azhaithadu' and many more. Raja has really put his soul into these songs.

Another very good line, which I like a lot, is from the latest 'Ramana Charanam Saranam' album, which goes, 'un malar adi mel vizhum kanner tuli, naan idhu varai vazhnda vazhvallava'.

The funny part is that initially when people hear the songs they generally complain it is more 'filmy'. My wife too felt the same way. But one they listen to the songs a few times the album becomes their favorite, since the bhavam that Raja gets in these songs ends up touching you a lot.

venus05
6th March 2010, 08:36 AM
Suresh,
Thanks for sharing your comments on 'Ramana Charanam Saranam'; unfortunately, I haven't heard this album. I am looking forward to buy this.

I am totally in line with you on your comment 'bhavam that Raja gets in these songs ends up touching you a lot'.May be you are right he puts the soul and hence he touches our souls which is one and all.

Did you have a chance to listen to Raaja's Geethanjali?

I like the "Kamachi Karuna Vilashini" song, I think this song was sung by Mano in Atma. It is intersting that lot of words end with 'Ni' like mandhhasini, madhura bhashini, bhavatharini, panchaksari parameshvari parimpoorani etc.,

Thanks.

tvsankar
6th March 2010, 11:41 AM
venus,
thanks for the sharing.

Bhakthi padalil IR in kavidhai varigal - ennai migavum kavarndhavai.

Endha vidhamana kashtathukum, Ivarin Bhakthi padalil
bhadhil irukum.....

Geethanjali Devtional - thaniyaga naan enna kaetpen

nee tharum ANBAI parisaga Yerpen.......

very nice album of IR .....

Sureshs65
6th March 2010, 10:23 PM
Venus,

'Geetanjali' and 'Geeta Vazhipaadu' are two other albums which play in house regularly. And I forgot, 'Manikanda Geeta Mala'. The only one missing is 'Amma Paamalai' which has some excellent songs. Honestly wish not all songs were given to Bhavadharini. The tunes are lovely though. Will need to get this CD from Agi Music, now that they are selling it.

Yup, 'Kamakshi Karunavilasini' with different words was used in 'Atma'. 'kadalukku naan seiyyum' was also used in a female voice in a Vasanth movie (Ambika sings it on screen.) Music for that movie was by YSR. (Was the movie 'poovellam kettu par'?)

tvsankar
6th March 2010, 11:58 PM
VAnjikodi - Kanna unai thedugiren

hariharan and Bhavadharani

Nice Beats, Sweet guitar works. IR's Flute - always amazing..

One more Night and Beach mood song........

Rare Gem.....

venus05
7th March 2010, 09:08 PM
Suresh65,
I am lagging behind in Manikanda Geetha Mala. I heard one song from you tube.

"Kadullkku naan seium" - a great song.
I love the word play "Shankaran udhithane kaladiyil Avan sakalmum arinthathu un kaladiyil" and after couple of lines Raaja picks up the speed and slows down to "Santhatham unnai padum...antha Bhuthiyum nee kodutha sakthiyamma". He attributes everything to his bhakthi and even attributes the origin of the bhakthi to primodial shakthi.Bhuthi..bhakthi ..shakthi..not only has good rhyming.but they had appropriate meaning to the context of the song....good lines..I think it is by Valli..to me, the above lines exactly express the same as the lines from from "Thiruvasagam" "Avan arulalae avan thazh vanangi" just before the "Namashivaya Vazhga".

Even to have genuine bhakthi, you need the glimpse of Almighty (tried to translate "Kadai Kann Parvai").
Thanks.

tvsankar
7th March 2010, 09:41 PM
undhanin padal ennai - Raakayi koil

Uma ramanan and Mano

my favourite signers...

Nice beats... Simple but sweet guitar.... Friendly Violin.... Yekathai refelect seiyum violin.....

raagadeva
7th March 2010, 11:19 PM
Anyone heard the song 'Un Ennam' form Thambi Pondati? what a classic song..sunantha sung very well and the orch...if anyone one not heard do not miss this treasure.

jaiganes
7th March 2010, 11:24 PM
Anyone heard the song 'Un Ennam' form Thambi Pondati? what a classic song..sunantha sung very well and the orch...if anyone one not heard do not miss this treasure.
very innovative spinoff off that 'kaattukkullle paattu chollum kanni ponnum nee dhaana" from Idhayathai thirudaathe. Same raaga?

raagadeva
7th March 2010, 11:35 PM
venus05,

you will get album when you send a DD to ramanashmam, send a email to them in the below mentioned email.

bookstall@sriramanamaharshi.org

they will tell you hw you can get Ramana Saranam Saranam Album. I got like that only.

venus05
8th March 2010, 02:04 AM
Thank you Raagadeva for this information. Thanks.

tvsankar
8th March 2010, 01:36 PM
very innovative spinoff off that 'kaattukkullle paattu chollum kanni ponnum nee dhaana" from Idhayathai thirudaathe. Same raaga?

Un ennam - thambi pondati - Vakulabaram.

kattu kulae - Idhayathai Thirudadhae - vakulabaranama nenachu kaeta - apadi than thonaradhu...... :D

raagas
8th March 2010, 01:44 PM

My take on this song here http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=13867&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=135 a very recent post

tvsankar
8th March 2010, 03:14 PM
raagas,
thanks for the link. miss panniten. nice write up....

Sureshs65
8th March 2010, 04:04 PM
Listening to 'karumathur kaatukulle' and the whole of Virumandi. Had the tape in the car and started listening to it after a brief discussion with a friend, who spoke about 'karumathur kaatukulle'. I told him that this song contained ideas for atleast 10 songs. Raja belongs to the long tradition of Indian film music MDs, who are generous with their ideas and a single song contains multiple ideas. (The current generation of MDs get to do with not more than one hummable idea per song and that too you are not sure is original!!!)

'karumathur kaatukulle' is amazing. The rhythm changes, the tune changes, the emotions change and a very robust story is told. Muthulingam's lyrics complement the tune very well. The whole 'Virumandi' album is a joy and this song is a clear demonstration of the fact that no one understands the folk music and folk culture as much as Raja does. (Not that we needed a demonstration of that!!) The beauty of the whole album is that he completely reinvents folk in this album using modern technology and yet the whole album sounds 'folk'.

Whoever said Raja's best was in the 80s? This album can stand up to anything you can throw in from the 70s or 80s. How I wish that Raja and Kamal work together for a few more albums!!

tvsankar
8th March 2010, 11:24 PM
Vaazha vaikum kadhaluku - Aboorva saghodarargal

SPB, SJ and IR - Great Combo......

all type guitar works are done by Raaja.....

Solid , Wah wah, bass etc............

Sweet Sax.......

Amazing Violin notes.........

2nd interlude - Very very very Great.......

wah wah guitar and the violin works.........

uyirai koduthudalam........

pl listen in Headphone.....

then only we could enjoy His Complete Works.

tvsankar
9th March 2010, 12:05 AM
Thankathinkal - Manasiakkare

Singer , chorus and the violins - a great call and response...

Violin works - have no words to describe......
roaring guitar.....

Sweet chorus......

Malaiyalam IR is always special to me....

raagadeva
9th March 2010, 12:06 AM
I feel this is one of the album which gone without much notice..This album was available in the CD along with Vikram released by Oriental Records.

Totally 9 songs ..

1. Unnai Naan Parthathu - SPB and Latha

Night ketkurathukka ulla paatley kandippa irukka vendiya paatu.

2. Ganam - IR

paatey..cycle bellley music start aagi nammaley cycley kooti sellum...Soft voice of IR.

3. Yaar Azhuthu - IR and KJJ separatly...

soga paatu...KJJ and IR never combination never failed-ngra varisailey intha paatum irukkum.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com//albums/ALBIRR00273.html

tvsankar
9th March 2010, 12:13 AM
ragadeva,

Thanks for the songs.

kannukoru vannakili - my most favourite album.......

unnai naan - beautiful violin works.....

app_engine
9th March 2010, 12:38 AM
kannukoru vannakili - my most favourite album.......

ஓ, இப்படி ஒரு படம் இருக்கா? ஒரு பாட்டு கூடக்கேள்விப்படவில்லை...கேட்டுப்பார்க்கலாம் :-)

jaiganes
9th March 2010, 12:49 AM
I am hearing for ths first time and so far all the first 3 songs are gold standard ones.

some references here
http://tfmpage.com/forum/archives/4795.1950.06.41.21.html

naarayanan seems to have heard and included the preludes in a Ilaiyaraaja quiz section in his blog.

raagadeva
9th March 2010, 11:32 AM
app,

இந்த மாதிரி தெரியாத படத்துல நெறைய நல்ல பாட்டுக்கள் இருக்கு , இப்பவும் ரொம்ப புதுசா இருக்கும் காரணம் வேற எங்கேயும் கேட்டு இருக்க மாட்டிங்க :)

raagas
9th March 2010, 01:41 PM
Kannukkoru Vannakkili album as such is a beautiful one. All songs are good. Thanks Raagadeva!

eagle
9th March 2010, 05:34 PM
Kannukkoru Vannakkili is my all time favorite album... all songs are gud ones...especially "thuli thuli mazhayai"... some time back oriental music released a combo of this one with vikram....

Aalavanthan
9th March 2010, 05:55 PM
மாட அடக்கிப்புட்டேன் மனச இல்ல
மாடு போல் மனசிது தவிக்குது

மாட்ட நீ தொட்டதுப்போல் மனசத் தொடு
மனசு தான் கைப்பட துடிக்குது

நீ வளத்த விசயமெல்லாம் என்னிடத்தில் அடங்கும்
சீர் கொடுத்தா வாங்கிக் கொள்ள இன்னும் என்ன தயக்கம்

பல பேரு பல பேச என் பேர நீ சொல்லு மானே
தெற்கு மலத் தேனே

What excites me about this song.. Kamal's manly voice ? IR's native beats ?? the chorus which keeps ringing in our heads until the song gets completed ??? IR's chorus of violins ????IR's bee like humming in the interludes ?????

Answer: All of the above !

AravindMano
9th March 2010, 10:20 PM
Poo kaatinOdum kiLigaLOdum kathagaL cholli nee... from poomukhapadiyil ninneyum kaathu.

Lovely lovely song. My friend kept insisting that i should listen to it for over two weeks and now am hooked to it.

jaiganes
9th March 2010, 10:40 PM
Rrekkai katti parakkudhu namma pettai sittu from vaalmiki.
I am suffering(?) from compulsive repeat syndrome for this song.

venkkiram
9th March 2010, 10:51 PM

Count me too.

நாதஸ்வரத்தையும் Band வாத்தியங்களையும் இணைத்து இப்படி ஒரு ஃபூஷன் கேட்பது இதுவே முதல் முறை என் வாழ்க்கையில். இந்த இசை இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் நீட்டிக்காதா என்ற எக்கத்தை நம்மிடையே ஒவ்வொரு இசைக்கருவிகளின் இசைக்குறிப்பிலும் வெளிப்படுத்த வைக்கிறார் ராஜா.

raagadeva
9th March 2010, 11:19 PM
This is another album which i used to ignore to hear during my college days..as none of songs were hit or played anywhere outside the shops..

some time back i heard the "Sadu Gudu Thodhu..".from this movie..this one good song to get to know how IR is using chorus....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00586.html

Hmm.....even IR is not using chorus frequently compare to those days.

Bala (Karthik)
9th March 2010, 11:45 PM
Tippu-vum kalakkiruppaaru

raagadeva
10th March 2010, 12:00 AM
rekkai katti is one of my fav..as it is the best kuthu from IR on recent days..but somehow i have a feel that tippu and rahul are not supported like SPB and MV.

jaiganes
10th March 2010, 12:38 AM

Count me too.

நாதஸ்வரத்தையும் Band வாத்தியங்களையும் இணைத்து இப்படி ஒரு ஃபூஷன் கேட்பது இதுவே முதல் முறை என் வாழ்க்கையில். இந்த இசை இன்னும் கொஞ்சம் நீட்டிக்காதா என்ற எக்கத்தை நம்மிடையே ஒவ்வொரு இசைக்கருவிகளின் இசைக்குறிப்பிலும் வெளிப்படுத்த வைக்கிறார் ராஜா.

If we closely follow - it is an extension of what the legends have done in the past from 'Getti melam kottura kalyaanam' days, just that the POV is not from the kith and kin of the bride and groom - just some other folks working in the marriage. The lyrics are apt and the beautiful thing is the way the singers have interlaced (or have been interlaced). There is an arrangement when Rahul has to sing and where Tippu has to take over - it is not random and is very well coordinated and choreographed. Rahul has been identified to be as 'street smaart' (ehi ehi) and tippu reserved for high pitch and some other guy for the funny part (koimbu rasam kodhikodhikkudhu part). It is bezerk but not totally mad - well orchestrated kitsch effort this - like the graphitti on the wall - chaotic, but with a pleasing order somewhere in between.
Does any other composer apply this much of mind when using multiple voices? I find this to be a trait in Raasa's songs through the years. One more case in point - recent kannada song 'Swalpa sound jaasthi maadu' .
One more more case in point would be 'Devadhai pol oru pennondru vandhadhu thambi' from Gopura vasalile.
One more more more case in point ' Shehar hai khoob kya hai yeh' from Chal chalein -

Raaja's chorus singing a full song must be hyper analysed immediately.. I say...

jaiganes
10th March 2010, 04:33 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00324.html

Whoa - I missed this one completely when it was released.
Now I revisit this one - what an album this is?
Maayakkannaadi - absolutely melody magic - comparable to Malayalam outputs of Raja of 2000s - Ulagile Azhagi and Konjam konjam are simply cool and the interludes simply rock.
Negative PR of the film bombed the soundtrack as well - but as IRIR123 said Raaja doing ahash job for panchu - not fossibil.
The three songs that Raaja has sung himself are no pushovers either. They too have a lot of value. I am hooked on to this...

tvsankar
10th March 2010, 10:57 AM
Maaya kannadi is a very nice album.

My 16 year teen age son recommended me to hear ...

tvsankar
10th March 2010, 11:12 AM
Jaiganes and venkiram,
Nice discussion about - Rekkai katti

IR "s kuthu paatu... Kuthu na idhu dhan Kuthu..
son ku solli iruken......

appushiva
10th March 2010, 12:02 PM
Dear All,

I am working in Gulf in an oil field , where there is no possible for an hindu temple. IR relieved this by giving this song.

Om Shiv OM... in Nannavanu (Kannada)

This song virtually taken me to temple and i had a feeling that i was in a "Thiruvizha/Jathira".
What a great sound of instruments, sanskirit manthra's and vocal ....
Just i was mesmerised by this song...
Pls hear in headset with good sound...

Regards,

Shiva - Kuwait

Plum
10th March 2010, 01:17 PM
Brief note on Hitchki Hitchki (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=2058293#2058293)

raagadeva
11th March 2010, 12:54 AM
After start the loop for "sadugudu" from seemaan, today started to hear the song "yelaey" continuously...IR sings this song with full enthu....but I am having the feel that this is smiler to "yelaey" from maayakannadi.

is it same raaga? or just an tempo?

Karuvelam pookkal has another good song "kaalu Kolusu" which sung by Uma Ramanan...with Good composition with Urumi Melam, Nadhaswaram, Flute and chorus.

karuvelampookkal - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00283.html

seeman-
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00586.html

Sureshs65
11th March 2010, 10:07 AM
I immediately remembered 'rekkai katti' when people were going gaga over the nadaswaram used in one of the recent songs of VTV. Here, as Venki points out, the nadaswaram is so well morphed along with the other instruments and give such a 'kick' to this amazing song. The whole phrasing on the nadaswaram is a mark of a genius. Making it sound like it is a 'kuthu' instrument as opposed to 'kuthuvilaku' instrument. Raja has used the nadaswaram very innovatively in multiple songs. In this song he changes the whole texture of the instrument sound to support this song. And the nadaswaram and thavil provide surplus of energy.

Sureshs65
11th March 2010, 10:10 AM
Plum,

Nice posting on 'Hichki Hichki'. I too was never a great fan of Sunidhi Chavan but this song and 'Chinna Polike' (Om Shanthi) have made me change my opinion. He is far superior to Kunal Ganjawala in 'Chinna Polike' with her diction and singing being quite good.

Sureshs65
11th March 2010, 10:12 AM
raagadeva,

You have hit the ground running !!! :) Now you have given me, using Usha's parlance, lot of homework !! Been on travel. Will listen to the songs you have listed. Haven't heard many of them earlier.

tvsankar
11th March 2010, 10:31 AM
suresh,
raga deva sonna oru paatu kuda enaku theiryadhu...

Thedi thedi Rare Gema solrar indha RD.....

crvenky
11th March 2010, 11:32 AM
I want to compare two songs:

1) Agandhayil aduvadha - Uliyin Osai
2) Yele enga vandhe - Mayakannadi

In both he brings out the feminity of the dancers (interestingly, both are sung by him). In UO song, a sculptor who also knows dance sings it. This nalina bhavam comes out in the lines 'naan oru sirpi nadana kalai enakku thevai illai'.

In MK song, the singer is a dance master in films. Check out the lines where IR says in the 1st interlude: 'ippa parunga sir, pichi odharidaren' or something like that.

tvsankar
11th March 2010, 11:40 AM
venky,
how r u?

Nice thought. ungalin view padi - compare panni parka,
paatai kaekaren ipo........

rajkumarc
11th March 2010, 01:55 PM
Raagadeva - :ty: for pointing out the Yelae song. It's such a delightful song. Karuvelam Pookal has a song sung by MSV as well (though not the same type as Eri Kanal Kaatril).

What other songs has MSV sung for IR?

raagadeva
11th March 2010, 02:04 PM
Ennoda pazhakkam ennana, when music is IR, kannai moodittu..I used to record all the songs of the movie later started to buy as cds...the reason is i found most of the songs are good after couple of years....

due to technology improvement over a period of time i had converted all my cds to my ipod...and started listening in shuffle mode....this kind of listening gives me lots of surprise then and there..I am sharing the same as it cud be a surprise for you too like me..

raagadeva
11th March 2010, 02:53 PM
HAve u heard the pabanasam sivan song of alaipaayuthey kanna as duet song?????????????????

here it is sung by KJJ and SJ for ethanai konam ethanai paarvai.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/albums/ALBIRR00158.html

raagadeva
11th March 2010, 02:59 PM
As per my knowledge, MSV sung erikanal from oru yatra mozhi for IR and Natppu nattpu song for unnai saranadainthen for SPB music but this song was sung by SPB, MSV and IR.

tvsankar
11th March 2010, 04:49 PM
Megam karukaiyilae - Vaithegi kaathirundhal

Beautiful write up from Krish...... (orkut friend.....)

wat a writing.........

One of the best Folkish numbers by Maestro that has unbelievable guitars is Megam Karukayile...In my humble opinion, it is not right to classify Raaja's music into a Genre...

It may be close to some genre but there will be some foreign aspect in the song that makes it a Raaja'ish song!

This song, Megam Karukayile's prelude has the "aaha oho ehee" by the male chorus when the female choir begin a contrapuntal "Tharananna tharananna"...this itself is a Western music aspect...the entire humming is a harmony + counterpoint delight!

At 00:18, begins the two Guitars...The rhythm guitar is NOT the Nylon stringed classical guitar because the strumming clearly reveals that it is a steel string acoustic guitar...The other guitar is the Electric Bass guitar....

Hope there is a good earphone/headphone hooked to your comp...The two guitars are better noticed on that.

The beautiful music goes on with the Guitars, flutes, synth and percussion. A pause. His Majesty starts "Megam Karukkayile" with the same guitar strumming pattern and Bass pattern...I love the "aaaa" by the chorus in the end of each line.

Just look at the guitar strumming! Good lord, so complex and imaginative! The time signature being an odd one , it feels like a running train, the guitars

If I could play this acoustic Guitar pattern, I would be one of the finest guitarists ever!

1st interlude: Sweet Indianish flutes with the Western Jazz/flamenco'ish guitars accompanying.some call and responses.

contd.

tvsankar
11th March 2010, 04:49 PM
are of 3/4 or 6/8 rhythm only but the strumming pattern in Pallavi is marvellous and extremely tough to play.

2nd interlude has the Bass guitar's prominance.

Man, I am stunned and stumped by this song! So valuable these songs(to me!).

90%, the acoustic guitar strummer is Sadanandam sir only..What talent! Can imagine his wrist's plight after this song...

This is music! you think it is folk, it may not be...that is Raaja!

pro-Raaja...

raagadeva
11th March 2010, 05:02 PM
Good write up on megam karukailey...this another good song to showcase the best usage of chorus...

tvsankar
11th March 2010, 08:03 PM
Sembaruthi pennuorthi - Raman abdhulah

IR's beats.

IR's Violin.............. wat a majetic sound came from......

IR'f Flute --------- So Sweeeeeeeet

Aathamavai thodum isai - Artham Raaja Sir composition il ttheirndhu kolla mudiyum.......

oodugindra vellathil
oosai kuda padal than

haaaaaaaa

padal kodi kaetalum
bhadhikindra padal nee
Raja rajan ragam nee

indha varigaluku pinnal varum isai......... varnika vaarthai ilai.....

Sureshs65
11th March 2010, 09:52 PM
RD,

The song 'alaipayuthe kanna' is by Oothukadu Venkatasubbiyer and not Papanasam Sivan. A nice rendition by Jesudas and Janaki. The movie 'ethani konam ethanai paarvai' also had a very nice duet 'vidaitha vidhai' based on Kanada ragam.

raagadeva
11th March 2010, 10:02 PM
Usha,

you can find another beautiful song of pudhithai from raman abdhulla...when you hear this in the headphone..you can feel that you are in different place.

Wonderful beats and flute

suresh you are correct..I had some confusion on that while typing and realized the mistake after seeing your msg.. thanks.

irir123
11th March 2010, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu1aPOjKTuA - 'kalkandam chundil' from 'onnanu nammal'(1984) - classic!

raagadeva
11th March 2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks Suresh, just realize the vidhaitha vidhai..is it by jayachandran of deepan chakravarthy? not able to identify the female voice of that...

tvsankar
11th March 2010, 11:36 PM
RD,

Thanks for Pudhidhai...

Yes . True.. Diferent place - Enaku thoninadhu - OOty dhan..

Botanical Garden - Interior portion il, poindae irundha , dark a , trees a irukum... Nice to walk........

andha place ku pora madhiri oru feelings dhan enaku.........

Old ooty...... ipo irukara kootamana ooty illai......

old ooty had lot of trees. less buildings....

I love that OOty........

tvsankar
11th March 2010, 11:40 PM
irir123,
how r u?

thanks for the youtube...

Sureshs65
12th March 2010, 12:11 AM
irir123,

I believe there was CD released which had around 15 or 16 Raja's Malayalam songs of 80s. This song is supposed to be included in the CD. Every song listed in that was a gem and I am trying hard to get my hands on that CD / tape but no luck.

'kalkandam chundil', 'ee nilimathan', 'bul bul maine'. Aaah. What can I say? As I have said many times earlier, give me this Raja and I shall give up everything else. Love these songs to death. What melody, what innovations, great singing and the evocation of an indescribable peace. That was Raja in Malayalam. I had not seen the picturisation of any of these songs, nor have heard these when released, nor have I any associated memories. Still when I listen to them my heart jumps with joy and I am filled with peace. Truly magical compositions.

Sureshs65
12th March 2010, 12:16 AM
RD,

I need to check up the CD cover to see who the female voice is in 'vidaita vidhai'. Maybe it is B S Sashirekha. Not sure.

raagadeva
12th March 2010, 12:56 AM
Suresh,

I remember that cd had 17 old Malayalam songs of IR including olangal, it had a label asnostalgic of ilaiyaraja from saregama..it was very hard to find that cd and i got almost after 1 yr of searching thorough maebag.com. (its become my source for Malayalam song cds)

rajkumarc
12th March 2010, 01:25 AM
An amazing song this one - Kalkandam Chundil. The feel evoked is something I can't describe in words. Beautiful prelude to start the song. I just kept on listening to the prelude over and over. Also, love the rendition of KJY & SJ. Thanks irir23 for pointing out this song.

I have started discovering IR's 80s Malayalam work only recently and I love every bit of it.

Suresh - What movies are these songs - 'ee nilimathan', 'bul bul maine'?

raagadeva
12th March 2010, 01:31 AM
Rajkumar,

bul bul is from Sandhyakku Virinja Poove

Sureshs65
12th March 2010, 01:34 AM
Raj,

'Ee Nilimathan' is from 'Aa Ratri'. I think 'Bul Bul Maine' is from 'Sandhyaku Virinja Pookal'.

BTW, I found this site where you can listen to this album, which raagadeva has been referring to. Listen to the songs and you will be transported to another world.

http://www.hummaa.com/music/album/Nostalgia+-+Ilayaraja/27552#