PDA

View Full Version : What was the Last Ilaiyaraja song you listened to? - Part 2.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

raj_musing
23rd June 2010, 11:30 PM
Raathiri nerathil rakshasha vegathil.....from the movie Anjali.
the mood created for a lovely song sequence in the space is just apt and ultimate...great composing and fantastic rendition by SPB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6uanlFJmtA&feature=related

Sureshs65
24th June 2010, 12:23 AM
raj_musing,

That is Raja's greatest strength. Create that mood with music. 'Raathiri nerathil' does create the space mood. In recent times, 'edaya bagilu' from the Kannada film 'Suryakanthi' creates a sort of late evening / early night mood. Lovely song that as well.

Today, got hold of a song from a Telugu film called "Tarzan Sundari". Seriously, that is the name of the movie. The song is called 'sannajaaji'. Superb song. Much obliged to the friend who sent it.

raj_musing
24th June 2010, 10:27 AM
raj_musing,

That is Raja's greatest strength. Create that mood with music. 'Raathiri nerathil' does create the space mood. In recent times, 'edaya bagilu' from the Kannada film 'Suryakanthi' creates a sort of late evening / early night mood. Lovely song that as well.

Today, got hold of a song from a Telugu film called "Tarzan Sundari". Seriously, that is the name of the movie. The song is called 'sannajaaji'. Superb song. Much obliged to the friend who sent it.

True! Mood creation is his strength. The other one which I had looped many times is the song from the kannada movie "Pallavi Anupallavi". The humming at the starting portion just transponds me to a different world and can't just express that feeling. This tune is currently re-used by iDEA Cellular service...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rHm3jhkxgs&feature=related

Sureshs65
24th June 2010, 03:23 PM
raj_musing,

'naguva nayana' deserves a big article on its own and I am planning to write about it in my blog sometime soon. 'Pallavi Anupallavi' is a killer of an album.

raagas
24th June 2010, 05:53 PM
3 posts on Pallavi Anupallavi:

http://musicmavericks.blogspot.com/2005/11/ilaiyaraaja-maniratnam-pallavi.html

http://musicmavericks.blogspot.com/2005/11/pallavi-anupallavi-2.html

http://musicmavericks.blogspot.com/2005/11/pallavi-anupallavi-part-3.html

app_engine
24th June 2010, 10:02 PM
இளைய நிலா - மறுபடியும் ரிபீட் மோடில்

முருங்கைக்காய் சாம்பார் மாதிரி - தினமும், எத்தனை வருஷக்கணக்கானாலும் அலுக்காத விஷயம் :-)

Sureshs65
24th June 2010, 11:10 PM
Still hearing to that Telugu song from the unknown movie, 'Tarzan Sundari'. Amazing interludes and a freakout tune.

Aah. app_eng, what a comparison. Sitting late in the night to watch the World Cup and your post increases my hunger and there is nothing to eat!!! For me, it would be curd rice with 'avakkai' :)

tvsankar
24th June 2010, 11:32 PM
suresh,
adhu enna Tarzan sundari.
paatuku link thango pl..........

tvsankar
24th June 2010, 11:36 PM
Chitra chechi - songs....... all are sweet.

1. Aala pol vela pol

2.Oru jeevan - IR and KSC

3.Siruvani athu thanni - KSC and Mano

lovely nos.............

tvsankar
25th June 2010, 12:49 AM
96 year GEM

Indha poovukoru arasan poovarasan

Poovarasan

KSC and SPB

Real Gem......

tvsankar
25th June 2010, 12:56 AM
Rasathi Rasathi - SPB and KSC

Prelude - Excellent Guitar.....

Haunting Composition..............

Lyrics - impressed me.

epodhum engum yezhaiyai pola

anbalae ezhaigal seeman aiyaa

wat a true statement.........

tvsankar
25th June 2010, 01:07 AM
Sembaruthi - Raman Abdhulah

wat a song...........

Mesmerising violin, beats, flute...............

Really Mesmerising............

Neat a iron pannina pudhu dress madhiri...........

evvalavu cost aga irundhal enna. pudhu dress pudhusu dhanae....
adhai pola than

indha paatu - ever Fresh.........

rajkumarc
25th June 2010, 11:29 AM
Poonthedral - KSC - Ullam Kavarndha Kalvan

Lovely song Usha. You described the feel very well. What a variety of songs IR has given for this situation "Heroine one with nature".

tvsankar
25th June 2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks rajkumar.

Yes. IR songs for Female.........

Ethanai types.........

Nature - its all very great.

veetukulae romba velai senju stress a feel pannina,
indha madhiri - nature ai rasaikara Female's songs 4 kaetal podhum..

Stress - poyae pochu. Edho nejama,
naanae veliyae poitu enjoy pannina
madhiri oru sandhosham varum - Manasil.

Idhu dhanae Raaja..

very Special to me always....

tvsankar
25th June 2010, 01:53 PM
Udhaya kalamae - PS - Panjami

Wat a composition.. Instrumentation.........

haunting no.............

Great conversation went on with the flute, guitar , tabla and the Violin......

app - indha PS paataiyum serthiknonga unga list ku..........

tvsankar
25th June 2010, 04:44 PM
Akasamlo

Character a irundhu feel pannina than
patoda Depth ai Feel panna mudiyum.

IR paatai patriya Feelings.

Madhyamavathi - IR oda madhyamavathi - kaettutu sandhoshama sethu pogalam nu solla thonum.

ana - nejama - sagara time la - ipadi madhyamavathi paatu kaetal - pora uyir poga ninaikamal,.

vaazhara asai vandhudum nu nenaikaren.....

IR's Madhyamavathi groups are something Great and Special to me.........

app_engine
25th June 2010, 08:26 PM
சின்னக்கண்ணன் அழைக்கிறான் (http://balhanuman.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/%e0%ae%9a%e0%ae%bf%e0%ae%a9%e0%af%8d%e0%ae%a9%e0%a e%95%e0%af%8d-%e0%ae%95%e0%ae%a3%e0%af%8d%e0%ae%a3%e0%ae%a9%e0%a f%8d-%e0%ae%85%e0%ae%b4%e0%af%88%e0%ae%95%e0%af%8d%e0%a e%95%e0%ae%bf%e0%ae%b1/)
(கவிக்குயில், பாலமுரளிகிருஷ்ணா, ரீதிகௌளை ராகம்)

Great combo - sheer delight!

Sureshs65
26th June 2010, 02:09 AM
'kannanukku enna vendum' from 'Dhanam'. A lovely song I am hearing after a long time.

raj_musing
26th June 2010, 02:17 PM
Ilavenil ithu vaikasi...from the movie "Kadhal Rojave" released in the year 2000.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6A3prhXfNw

venkkiram
27th June 2010, 08:29 AM
கோடைக் காலக் காற்றே (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVbx5wm3xJo) பூரண அமைதியென்றால் இந்தப் பாடலும் ஒரு உதாரணம்.. ம.வாசுதேவனின் குரலுக்கு என்னை முழுதும் அடிமையாக்கவைத்த பாடல்களில் இதுவும் ஒன்று. ராஜாவின் குரல் தேர்வுகளில், முயற்சிகளில் பெரிதாக நினைப்பதும் ம.வாசுதேவனின் குரல்தான். மண்ணின் மனத்தை நுகர சரியான் இடம் ம.வாசுதேவனின் குரல்.

Plum
28th June 2010, 07:49 PM
BTW, venkkiram, saw your attack on Charu in Raavanan thread. hmm... thanakku vandhA dhAn theruiyum thalai vali?

Sureshs65
28th June 2010, 09:49 PM
BTW, venkkiram, saw your attack on Charu in Raavanan thread. hmm... thanakku vandhA dhAn theruiyum thalai vali?

:lol:

Sanjeevi
28th June 2010, 10:04 PM

:rotfl2:

app_engine
28th June 2010, 11:01 PM
ப்ளம், சுரேஷ், சஞ்சீவி,

:notthatway:

வெங்கிக்கு சாருவின் கெட்ட தன்மை தெரிந்து நம்ம கூட்டத்தில் ஆகும் போது கை நீட்டி வரவேற்காமல், ஏன் கிண்டல்?

Sureshs65
28th June 2010, 11:12 PM
No offence meant to Venki. Just for fun.

App: Sure, why not but I still am not sure if he will not applaud someone other 'maaru' tomorrow if he / she says something against IR and for VM!!! Today he (Venki) is attacking Charu not because he has understood what all Charu said about Raja is wrong but becoz he has spoken against his current idols. Hence it feels funny. If he were to reject that Charu anti Raja article and if he were to reject the 'Raja succeeded only because of VM' stand, I will be more than happy to welcome him with open hands.

Sureshs65
28th June 2010, 11:13 PM
Sun Music playing 'kaadhalin deepam ondru'. I have nothing more to say about this song :) Enough people have said enough about this already. Just enjoy playing it in your mind :)

raajarasigan
29th June 2010, 10:46 AM
No offence meant to Venki. Just for fun.

App: Sure, why not but I still am not sure if he will not applaud someone other 'maaru' tomorrow if he / she says something against IR and for VM!!! Today he (Venki) is attacking Charu not because he has understood what all Charu said about Raja is wrong but becoz he has spoken against his current idols. Hence it feels funny. If he were to reject that Charu anti Raja article and if he were to reject the 'Raja succeeded only because of VM' stand, I will be more than happy to welcome him with open hands.ippadi ellam kooda solraangala... :huh: kaala kodumaida saami... :banghead:

Plum
29th June 2010, 01:02 PM
Venkkiram has a right to his opinions - and I have a right to point out contradiction in his stand. idhukku mEla I dont expect him to back off of his opinion that Raja succeeded because of VM.

venkkiram
29th June 2010, 04:46 PM
Raja succeeded only because of VM

-- இப்படியா நான் சொன்னேன் :think: எனக்கே ஞாபகமில்லை. கால அவகாசம் கொடுங்கள். என் பழைய பதிவுகளை ஒரு முறை வாசித்துவிட்டு வருகிறேன். இதான் Chance என எல்லாரும் சந்துல சிந்து பாடாதீங்க!

tvsankar
29th June 2010, 10:19 PM
Nenachadhellam nadaka pora - Uravadum nenjam

So sweeeet.. Becoz of SPB and SJ

1st interlude - 16 vayadhinilae - sevvandhi poo mudicha
bit ai nyabaga paduthum.......

very very very nice flute, Guitar..........................

tvsankar
29th June 2010, 10:23 PM
Deepam

Raja yuva raja - TMS...

Beautiful prelude. Music in Richness - inimaiyilum feel panna vecha paatu idhu.........

TMS - kashta padama padalam. paatu nalla irukum ena purnidhu padi irupar....

Guitar - ipodhu keatpadhai pola appodhu kaeta mudiylaviilai....

Today technology - Vaazhga valarga.........

tvsankar
29th June 2010, 10:31 PM
Naan oru Rani - SJ - Mugathil mugam parkalam

NIce no......

app_engine
29th June 2010, 10:48 PM
Nenachadhellam nadaka pora - Uravadum nenjam

So sweeeet.. Becoz of SPB and SJ

Fantastic song, the moment I read your post, it started playing in my mind :-) அட வாய்யா, பக்கத்துல வாய்யா, என் காதல் ராஜா...

Those days, as a school boy, this was my preferred song (to oru nAL unnOdu oru nAL). However, oru nAL had more air time than this and I used to enjoy whenever this was on radio - ஆட்டம் தான்:-)

What a great album, to have two of such SPB-SJ numbers!

tvsankar
29th June 2010, 11:00 PM
Nenachadhellam - ketta paatu. radio la thdai senja kaalam..

so, Radio cylon la matuame kaetu irupom.

Oru naal - Haunting tune.

tik tik tik sound - pin naalil vandha - paatu kannam paatai
nyabaga paduthum.

Great violin works.

Extraordinary flulte looks like in an ordinary way......

This is our Raaja.

Periya vishayathai - romba romba romba - ordinarya feel
panna vecha oru Ordinary Music man. Pongada........

tvsankar
29th June 2010, 11:09 PM
kaaki chattai

all are experimental.........

1. pattu kannam

2.vaanilae thenilaa

enna solla.. guitar, violin, beats, flute - vera enna irukum
hahahaa......

Variteties of the sounds (sound - indha vaarthaiyae thavaru - unmaiyil.) na idhu dhan..............

Beautiful Musical Flow...........

tvsankar
29th June 2010, 11:13 PM
Poo potta thavani

ennai porutha varai - sathamana Raja paatu.

Guitar .........So Great....... as usual,

unnoticed Guitar... thannoda kadamaiyai - porupaga seiyum.........

tvsankar
29th June 2010, 11:20 PM
poo potta

2nd interlude - wind instrument's works - amazing....

kaathai izhuthu vittu, vaasipadharkul - mudindhu pora madhiri - oru vibration oda punctuations.........

Wat a work ..... My Great Salute to this player.......

raghavendran
30th June 2010, 02:50 PM
POO PUTHADHU--SONU NIGAM :thumbsup: :musicsmile:

Hulkster
30th June 2010, 05:42 PM
<a href-"http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00071&lang=en">Bala Nagamma - Palli Araiyil</a>

This is Raaja Tango Rhythm. Whatever genre that falls into his hand goes through a raja osmosis process and becomes what we listen now. :clap: :notworthy:

tvsankar
1st July 2010, 01:42 PM
<a href-"http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00071&lang=en">Bala Nagamma - Palli Araiyil</a>

This is Raaja Tango Rhythm. Whatever genre that falls into his hand goes through a raja osmosis process and becomes what we listen now. :clap: :notworthy:

Very True Words Hulks.

goes through a raja Osmosis process - very sweet words...

Raja music pola - Ungalin vaarthaiyum - V.V.V. Great Hulks.

tvsankar
1st July 2010, 02:33 PM
Patanam pogalam vaa

Athangarai metorama - SJ and PJ

Ennoda favourite IR's Madhyamavathi Group.. think so....

soulful tune........ Each and Every instrument tells like this.....

tvsankar
1st July 2010, 02:39 PM
patanam pogalam vaa

Vazhvil un ninaival - MVD?

One more Charukesi?

Sureshs65
1st July 2010, 03:35 PM
'ezhaikinda ulagam' from 'Madhiya Chennai'. One of the most under rated songs of last year. This song once again proves the fact that when it comes to composing for conflicting emotions there are very few who can equal Raja. The whole song is sung by someone who feels angry, helpless and philosophical!!! You have all this in equal measure and Raja gives these emotions a good musical shape. The use of chorus in this song is outstanding and Raja's voice fits the song to a T. I can't think of any composer other than Raja composing this song. This is one song which lot of people will 'discover' at a later. If you haven't heard it yet, time for you to 'discover' it now :)

kr
1st July 2010, 06:46 PM
I agree. I love the orchestration in the song also

Devaraagam
2nd July 2010, 04:04 PM
'ezhaikinda ulagam' from 'Madhiya Chennai'. One of the most under rated songs of last year. This song once again proves the fact that when it comes to composing for conflicting emotions there are very few who can equal Raja. The whole song is sung by someone who feels angry, helpless and philosophical!!! You have all this in equal measure and Raja gives these emotions a good musical shape. The use of chorus in this song is outstanding and Raja's voice fits the song to a T. I can't think of any composer other than Raja composing this song. This is one song which lot of people will 'discover' at a later. If you haven't heard it yet, time for you to 'discover' it now :)
Suresh,

fortunately, last yr itself I discovered it :). I had a feeling of hearing the "Manidha..Manidha" as the orchestration and IR brings the complete pain and inability in this song.[/list]

Sureshs65
2nd July 2010, 09:57 PM
Time to listen to some sad song of Raja. Brazil lost in the quarter finals.

Raikkonen
3rd July 2010, 04:15 PM
poonkodithan - ithayam :thumbsup:

"kozhaikku kaathal enna,
oomaikku paadal enna"

depressing lyrics :cry:

tvsankar
3rd July 2010, 06:17 PM
Ishtakari ishtathuku - Sooriyan - Manjari and Madhu Balakrishnan

Beautiful song.......... Bubbly sound. i like in IR's songs....

tvsankar
3rd July 2010, 07:58 PM
Anumanaspadam...

Excellent album. Extraordinary composition....

ra ra ra kuma - Gavanika vaikaradhu... Special aga......

Haunting no.........

raj_musing
3rd July 2010, 10:17 PM

Was this is a good song? "No" in my humble opinion :) The album flopped miserably though there were a couple of other decent songs in this movie....The song reminds me of "Loosu Penne"....

raj_musing
3rd July 2010, 10:28 PM
Switch off the lights;go to bed and further listen to this soothing song from Nandalala.Sure to fall asleep before the song ends..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbs7d31014

Sureshs65
3rd July 2010, 10:45 PM
I too didn't like 'istakari' much when I heard it first and the album was indeed a flop. Now I don't mind 'istakari'. Infact like the way Raja moves to Kalyani in the charanam briefly. That is what makes this song interesting. My personal favourite in the movie is 'vasantha nila' Amazing Sriranjani based number. Madhu B does a nice job of singing it. Definitely an all time great song.

Sureshs65
3rd July 2010, 10:47 PM
Listening to the Telugu version of "Diana Diana' (Kadhal Kavidhai) I am liking this Telugu version better due to the lyrics and also due to the singing of SPB. He definitely gets more emotion into the song than Hariharan (who sang it in Tamil.)

tvsankar
4th July 2010, 12:50 AM

Was this is a good song? "No" in my humble opinion :) The album flopped miserably though there were a couple of other decent songs in this movie....The song reminds me of "Loosu Penne"....

onnukonnu - pidikudha. sari.
edhuku - ishtakari paatai ipadi solreenga... enaku PIDIKUM.

about Onnukonnu - Lyrics kills me.

epo kaetalum

anbu mautm dhan anadhaiya - indha vaarthai vandhadhum
Neata - kannu neraiya Azhugai varum. engae thookam?

tvsankar
4th July 2010, 12:50 AM
suresh,
kadhal devadhai - telugu version - name enna?

tvsankar
4th July 2010, 12:52 AM
One more thing.

Manasu kashtama irukara apo,

Sandhoshamana Raaja songs dhan kaepen.

adhu dhan enaku medicine.

Manasu sandhoshama irukara apo dhan,
soga songs kaekra Dhairiyam enaku varum.

tvsankar
4th July 2010, 12:58 AM
Unna suthum kaathadi
naan dhanae raasa

Asha - very sweeeet........

Ivarin Gamagam style , - HIndustani ya irukum.
Romba nalla irukum.

Unnai suthum kaathadi - indha varigalai
kaetalae,
kaathadi - konjam konjma melae pora oru feelings ai feel pannuven

Great Interludes.....

tvsankar
4th July 2010, 01:06 AM
Unnai naan parthadhum - Soulful composition.

Asha and SPB - Excellent Rendition.

Guitar , flute. violin and the beats - Haunting............
sethu poga nenacha uyir
thirumbi vandhudum. ennai porutha varai.

tvsankar
4th July 2010, 01:08 AM
Pani vizhum malaiyil

Lovely no.

ra ra ra ra - Asha vin mazhaliyil - like it very much......

Amazing Guitar.........

tvsankar
4th July 2010, 01:14 AM
Mazhai megam

Gambeeramana soga expression by Asha.

Beautiful abogi.

Flute - Realllllllllllly fantastic.

Sureshs65
4th July 2010, 03:50 PM
'nagu endhidhe' from 'Pallavi Anupallavi'. Since I have already said a lot about this song in some of my earlier posts I will just point to the song. Ensoy maadi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N93Bk-NP308

Dragun
5th July 2010, 09:14 AM
'nagu endhidhe' from 'Pallavi Anupallavi'. Since I have already said a lot about this song in some of my earlier posts I will just point to the song. Ensoy maadi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N93Bk-NP308

Even at this early date Mani and IR were producing magic.

Currently listening to Kanne Yedho from Poovilangu. I just typed "Ilayaraja" into YouTube to find some songs I hadn't heard before.

Sureshs65
5th July 2010, 10:44 AM
Dragun,

I think we all thank those people who take time and lot of effort to load Raja's songs on youtube. I know of a couple of very diligent souls who put up as much of Raja's Telugu songs in youtube as possible. They do deserve our thanks. Without them we would not be hearing some of the lovely numbers of Raja.

One such song which I found recently due to a recommendation of a friend, 'raave mohini' from 'Gopala Rao Gaari Abbayi':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk1FNiLk3o

While you are at it, also check out 'komali thanuve' from the same movie. Excellent orchestration. Vintage Raja here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rtgMpZf36o&feature=related

raagas
5th July 2010, 11:41 AM
The song Vizhiyil Oru (from Theertha Karayinele) played in my dream yesterday morning. I woke up and immediately searched for it: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00646&lang=en

Bueatiful composition.Such a different rhythm. Good bassline. The song has shades of Raag Desh and Kalyani. One of the best duets.

Sureshs65
5th July 2010, 04:43 PM
raagas,

I discovered 'vizhil pudhu kavidai' song by chance in some compilation CD. A different rhythm based on kanda nadai (5 x 4). The prelude is such a wonderful Desh. Somehow this song makes me think that it is tailor made for Jayachandran. Mano does a nice job as well.

raj_musing
5th July 2010, 10:14 PM
Dragun,

I think we all thank those people who take time and lot of effort to load Raja's songs on youtube. I know of a couple of very diligent souls who put up as much of Raja's Telugu songs in youtube as possible. They do deserve our thanks. Without them we would not be hearing some of the lovely numbers of Raja.

One such song which I found recently due to a recommendation of a friend, 'raave mohini' from 'Gopala Rao Gaari Abbayi':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk1FNiLk3o

While you are at it, also check out 'komali thanuve' from the same movie. Excellent orchestration. Vintage Raja here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rtgMpZf36o&feature=related

Suresh...Thanks for Komali thanuve...Very nice at first listening itself...

raj_musing
5th July 2010, 10:22 PM
Awesome song set in Reetigowla....Watch out for the violin interludes as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbkW3odJPo&feature=PlayList&p=1A60002CC4D5CCAB&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

raj_musing
5th July 2010, 10:30 PM
Heard this song during my years in chennai...Sure that this is raja song listening to the structure...I Believe that this was sung by Jayachandran?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouralIP3DjA&feature=related

tvsankar
5th July 2010, 11:06 PM
Heard this song during my years in chennai...Sure that this is raja song listening to the structure...I Believe that this was sung by Jayachandran?

raj musiing,
chinna poove - IR music ilai.

S.A.Rajkumar music.

Sanjeevi
5th July 2010, 11:24 PM
வன குயிலே - Priyanka (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NZAxU_UsE&feature=related)

Sema song :thumbsup: the beats and orchestration make this song something special and the awesome 2nd interlude is to die for and the picturisation for that lude :notworthy:

tvsankar
5th July 2010, 11:30 PM
sanjeevi,
Thanks for the youtube for vana kuyilae.

picutrisation parkalamalayae, paatai kaetalae,

Jeep la pora oru movement ai feel panna vaikum.

Greenary forest , etc. ena

ella camera vishayathaiyum

music il feel panna vecha oru Music Director....

raj_musing
6th July 2010, 12:01 AM

raj musiing,
chinna poove - IR music ilai.

S.A.Rajkumar music.

Thanks for the correction :)

tvsankar
6th July 2010, 12:18 AM
raj musing,
singer - Jayachandran dhan. :)

Sureshs65
6th July 2010, 01:09 AM
Awesome song set in Reetigowla....Watch out for the violin interludes as well.

A lovely Reetigowla indeed. If this were released first, it would have probably attained the same status as 'Chinna Kannan Azhaikiran'. Raja had a good knack of getting the best of Reethigowla from film music perspective. This song stands as another piece of evidence for that statement. Thanks for the link but I am not clicking it :) Don't want to see the picturization as of now. I get to listen to this often as it happens to be my wife's favourite Raja number.

baroque
6th July 2010, 07:53 AM
I am so running around with disco IR this weekend.
:bluejump: :redjump: :happydance: :cheer:
பூ போட்ட தாவணி......காக்கி சட்டை
இரவு நிலவு...அஞ்சலி....

Heavy pounding disco beat, speedy catchy melody, energetic bgm, soaring exciting vocalists

songs that get into your head stay with you forever....

Then...
ஹே, you come ....ஆனந்த்.....பாலா (1987 )
Hey, you come.....Anand.

http://www.oosai.com/oosai_plyr/playerWin.cfm?list=4301

Now...
இளமை கனவுகள்.......தனம் (2008 )......கார்த்திக் & ரீட்டா
ilamai kanavugal....Dhanam.

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=95991&mode=100&rand=0.09860091212833588

DISCO is ALIVE with Shri.Ilayaraja.

vinatha. :)

tvsankar
6th July 2010, 03:10 PM
Ezhu vannam konda - Konji pesalam

Flute - Excellent puncutations.... Great............

aala asathum malli dhan malli dhan
thookam enaku varla dhan

paatai nyabaga paduthum. dono the reason.....

tvsankar
6th July 2010, 03:17 PM
pudhidhai kaetkum
putham pudhu keerthanam

KSC - Sweet rendering....

Brindhavana Saranaga...... IR's Brindhavana saranga - Neraiya kaekanam.......

IR's Raaga experiments - Takes place a Great Value to the feelings and the characters..

Raagam decides the feelings.....
after tat only, instruments relfects the same....

tvsankar
6th July 2010, 03:24 PM
Indha IR ku than
ipadi patta character kum compose seiya theiryum.

Variety - He is the King.......

kaaka kaaka karupu than - Juli Ganapathi

wat a compositiion........... Beautiful instrumentation.......

tvsankar
6th July 2010, 07:36 PM
Rokkam irukara
makkal manusula
thukkam illa

Kaasi - Hariharan and Sujatha

deivam konjam
kann thorandha
yezhai koru vazhi porakum........

Wat a True............

tvsankar
6th July 2010, 07:46 PM
Aridharatha poosi kolla asa - Avadharam

Dhendral vandhu - indha paatai vida, Aridharatha paatu dhan
impress seidhadhu.

Nazar ku rombavae match agum voice - indha paatula.... including the expressiosns.......

Guitar - as usual too much friendly........

tvsankar
6th July 2010, 08:10 PM
Raavae mohini

Tamil version - Raaja mohini - Saadhanai

jaiganes
6th July 2010, 08:34 PM
kai veesi nadakkura kaathe - Nandhalaala.
Whattasong? right from the opening staccatto strings to the last and the flute - a mesmerizing melody that plays out like a kid running up on anna nagar tower. the spiralling circular rhythm of the tune is captivating, exciting, yet very friendly and soothing. Unimaginable precision in the punctuation of layers of instruments and human voices joining and leaving the central strings section (Mandolin or synth?). Wonderful song to kick start a fabulous week!!

raj_musing
7th July 2010, 01:14 AM
A wonderful telugu song from the telugu movie "Preminchi Pelladu".
This tune and beat really haunts you,for sure.I love this song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBmSwBCXgeo

Surprisingly there was a blog some time back appreciating this particular composition from the master.

http://itsallsrujana.blogspot.com/2009/01/rajas-miracle-nirantharamu-vasanthamule.html

raj_musing
7th July 2010, 01:24 AM
I am so running around with disco IR this weekend.
:bluejump: :redjump: :happydance: :cheer:
பூ போட்ட தாவணி......காக்கி சட்டை
இரவு நிலவு...அஞ்சலி....

Heavy pounding disco beat, speedy catchy melody, energetic bgm, soaring exciting vocalists

songs that get into your head stay with you forever....

Then...
ஹே, you come ....ஆனந்த்.....பாலா (1987 )
Hey, you come.....Anand.

http://www.oosai.com/oosai_plyr/playerWin.cfm?list=4301

Now...
இளமை கனவுகள்.......தனம் (2008 )......கார்த்திக் & ரீட்டா
ilamai kanavugal....Dhanam.

http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=95991&mode=100&rand=0.09860091212833588

DISCO is ALIVE with Shri.Ilayaraja.

Hey you,you ...come to me from "Anand" is indeed an energetic composition which stays in your mind for ever...I also like "I want to tell you something" song from the same movie for its amazing guitar arrangement.

baroque
7th July 2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah...Let me revisit the complete album - ANAND tonight.
Just dancing around with PEPPY Ilayaraaja this evening
silence silence silence காதல் செய்யும் நேரம் இது......பாலா & ஜானு in சூரசம்ஹாரம் :bluejump:

Sureshs65
7th July 2010, 10:25 AM
raj_musing,

'Preminchu Pelladu' is an outstanding album. 'nirantaramu' takes the cake for the best composition. This album also had 'vayyari godaramma' and one more superb song. Raja Vamshi combination was a great one. The beauty of 'nirantaramu' is the way the tune flows as if it is a free flowing river. The lyrics are also very well written. Not to forget the lovely singing by the singers.

raj_musing
7th July 2010, 10:43 AM
raj_musing,

'Preminchu Pelladu' is an outstanding album. 'nirantaramu' takes the cake for the best composition. This album also had 'vayyari godaramma' and one more superb song. Raja Vamshi combination was a great one. The beauty of 'nirantaramu' is the way the tune flows as if it is a free flowing river. The lyrics are also very well written. Not to forget the lovely singing by the singers.

"The tune flows as if its a free flowing river" True indeed...What a composer! :)

Sureshs65
7th July 2010, 11:00 AM
Here is one more blog which writes more elaborately on the same song 'nirantaramu' from 'Preminchu Pelladu'. This song is so good that I will not be surprised if we find more such writeups :)

http://mohanasangeetham.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/130/

Plum
7th July 2010, 01:11 PM
I remember writing on Vayyari Godaaramma in this very thread. That's one heck of a boat ride(well, not exactly a ride, a sojourn on a parked boat, let's say) on a moonlit night, with the gentle waves splashing on your feet and the beloved by the side...
(not sure how it was actually picturised)

app_engine
7th July 2010, 05:33 PM
silence silence silence காதல் செய்யும் நேரம் இது......பாலா & ஜானு in சூரசம்ஹாரம் :bluejump:

'Silence - kAdhal seyyum nEram idhu' is from the movie 'paNakkAran' starring RK-Gowthami.

Plum
7th July 2010, 07:24 PM
Preminchu peLLAdu also has Gopemma ChettilO. Had forgotten but coincidentally, the song popped up in the play list just now. That's one vella katti of an album!

Sureshs65
7th July 2010, 07:51 PM
Plum,

Somehow I had a feeling that this album will wake you from your slumber and it did :) And yes, 'Gopamma Chettilo' too. And Plum, what imagination about 'vayyari godaramma' !! The younger guys would immediately want to head to the nearest shore with their beloved and listen to this song!! :)

Was listening to 'vellai pura ondru' during the half time break of the football semifinals yesterday. This is one more song which has been written about a lot, all of it good :) and all of it well deserved!!!

app_engine
7th July 2010, 08:03 PM
'vellai pura ondru'

Supposedly RK's big favourite during those times.

It's a well-known thingy that RK won't intervene during the "song making process" and look at (i.e. hear) only the end results. Reportedly, he was extremely pleased with this number.

baroque
7th July 2010, 08:48 PM
thanks, app_eng
silence .....Bala & Janu in the combo of
MALLU VETTI MINOR/SOORASAMHARAM/PANAKKARAN cd from ORIENTAL RECORDS.
Vinatha.

app_engine
7th July 2010, 09:03 PM
yw, Vinatha!

paNakkAran had a couple more nice tracks (IMO) :

-இரண்டு ஒன்றோடு ஒன்று சேர்ந்தது (எஸ்பிபி / சித்ரா / my fav)

-நூறு வருஷம் இந்த மாப்பிள்ளையும் பொண்ணும் தான் (ஜானகி)

There are other so-so numbers, like, nooRu varusham by Mano / maraththa vachchavan thaNNi ooththuvAn by IR / uLLukkuLLa chakkaravarthi by IR

raj_musing
7th July 2010, 09:58 PM
Hearing this song for the first time,from the movie "Engal thaikulame varuka";but fell in love with it instantly..I think the raga used here is Mayamalavagowla..

Can anyone confirm if this song is composed by Raja or Chandrabose.The two links below are contradictory..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbEvYzrUBUI

http://priya32.blogspot.com/2008/10/vaan-vandhu-then-sindhum-neram.html

baroque
7th July 2010, 10:23 PM
:)
it is a nice combo .
oriental records bring very nice albums .
சூரசம்ஹாரம் hasnice compositions.
நான் என்பது... typical ir 's கல்யாணி melody with strings .
it has outstanding சுஷீலா solo ...ஆடும் நேரம்....
I love when Raaja changes percussions from drums to தபலா ..நீல குயிலே பாடி பறக்கும்....
oh .. I am so craving for
ராதா அழைக்கிறாள் ...தெற்கத்தி கள்ளன் is my one of the favorite ஜானு's solo ...violin, slute, cool janu & her giggles, change of percussion from drums to tabala... :musicsmile:
very romantic.
vinatha.

baroque
7th July 2010, 10:34 PM
Vaan vandhu then sindhum... must be from chandrabose.

thazhampoothaali nin....oomakkuyil....Ilayaraaja.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OECTrXSke0A

Ir's interludes are different. romantic with a extra dose of joy, excitement.

( kannada - kokila from Salilda.
Same music for the interludes. Relaxed finesse with a less instrumentation.
the melody is ethereal. yearning mood is soulful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rom3SyK4p4I)

Janu is AMAZING!

vinatha.

raj_musing
8th July 2010, 10:41 AM
Refering to the Padmarajan Classic thriller movie "Season",which had music by raja,there are no words to describe the songs and BGM in particular.

I have watched this movie many times,not just for the narration,but for the classic BGM which gives that extra thrust to this movie..

There are 2 songs...which are really good
First one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A61QlUu5ws&feature=related

BGM section especially from 8:00 to 8:25 is indeed a class apart..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRLNvesV4NM&feature=related

Sureshs65
8th July 2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the 'Season' suggestion RM. Do you have any idea if the video CD/DVD is commercially available? Lovely song 'Swapnangal'. I had downloaded this song some time back but did not hear it!! I had only heard 'poy varu' from this. As usual, as required by the picturization, Raja creates a lovely dreamy feel. A sort of utopian feel in his tune which perfectly complements what the director probably intended.

Plum
8th July 2010, 06:59 PM
தூரத்தில் போகின்ற மேகங்களே
தூறல்கள் போடுங்கள் பூமியிலே
வேர் கொண்ட பூஞ்சோலை
நீர் கொண்டு ஆட

ஏரியில் மீன் கொத்தும் நாரைகளே
சிறகுகள் எனக்கில்லை தாருங்களேன்
பூ விட்டு பூ சென்று காவியம் போட

பறவைகள் போல் நாம்
பறந்திட வேண்டும்
பனி மலை மேல் நாம்
மிதந்திட வேண்டும்
pazhamudhir chOlai enakkAga thAn...
:musicsmile:

free-flowingumbAingaLE...

raj_musing
8th July 2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the 'Season' suggestion RM. Do you have any idea if the video CD/DVD is commercially available? Lovely song 'Swapnangal'. I had downloaded this song some time back but did not hear it!! I had only heard 'poy varu' from this. As usual, as required by the picturization, Raja creates a lovely dreamy feel. A sort of utopian feel in his tune which perfectly complements what the director probably intended.

Suresh, As iam in Bangalore,am sure that this should be available in Landmark-Forum. Else I need to check this,when I travel back home. Iam sure that this should be available easily.

Let me know if you need a copy...

Sureshs65
8th July 2010, 10:15 PM
raj_musing,

Thanks. Can you kindly check your PM?

Plum,

'pazhamudir' Yup. Free flowing song indeed. Raja - Fazil was a good combination. I think Raja enjoyed tuning for Fazil movies due to the emotional content in Fazil movies being high.

A couple of days back I was listening to the songs of the Telugu film 'Killer'. I think that may be the only Telugu movie that Fazil did. The songs in the film are very good. One that was heard quite often was 'priya priyatama raagalu' nicely rendered by SPB. Raja does orchestration which reminds us of olden days. Not in the 'naan sirital deepavali' style but in a very different way. The tune is lovely as well. Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRXBoOkjq1g

raj_musing
8th July 2010, 11:13 PM
raj_musing,

Thanks. Can you kindly check your PM?

Plum,

'pazhamudir' Yup. Free flowing song indeed. Raja - Fazil was a good combination. I think Raja enjoyed tuning for Fazil movies due to the emotional content in Fazil movies being high.

A couple of days back I was listening to the songs of the Telugu film 'Killer'. I think that may be the only Telugu movie that Fazil did. The songs in the film are very good. One that was heard quite often was 'priya priyatama raagalu' nicely rendered by SPB. Raja does orchestration which reminds us of olden days. Not in the 'naan sirital deepavali' style but in a very different way. The tune is lovely as well. Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRXBoOkjq1g

"check your PM" ? I did not get you.What does PM stand for :)

Sanjeevi
8th July 2010, 11:23 PM
Currently watching Gemini Music which shows awesome Raaja's telugu songs. shenbagame, Rasathi unnai telugu versions and AbbanE (J veerudu A sundari) . Interestingly all had SPB :cool2:

Sureshs65
9th July 2010, 12:29 AM
raj_music,

PM stand for personal message. I had sent you a personal message.

Shank
9th July 2010, 02:06 AM
This has been a favorite of mine since childhood...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh4BmdGoJMo

Superb guitar work and "konjal" vocals by SPB. Less said about the picturisation and acting, the better!! :-)

baroque
9th July 2010, 02:41 AM
andharangam yaavumey.....is indeed perennial favorite.

Raaja reused the same tune in manchu kurise...:musicsmile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XoIUKG-8QM

Karthik is cute. :swinghead:
I & my friends were/are always attracted to him.

Mystical flute prelude.... lilting tune, tabala rhythm.

Shri.Ilayaraaja defines Finesse. :thumbsup:

Speaking of Virtuous telugu Ilayaraja & Genius of Shri.S.P.Balasubramaniyam.:musicsmile: WAY TO GO Janu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJp2BBmG_zg

Class composition.
typical Raaja's mohanam tune, strings, aalapana by Bala, flute calls, salangai, humming from Janu...srivennala lyrics.
vinatha.

Shank
9th July 2010, 08:51 AM
Similarly, 2 of my fav songs from Kadhal Oviyam. I love the entire album, but these two songs are special from a melody perspective.

Nadham en Jeevane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeIgLxPHNL8

Kuyile Kuyile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOHh-_7zYPQ

What flow in both the songs!! Amazing. Also, the stanza negotiations (a fav area of mine) are superb in both...awesome composing as well as good execution (by SJ & Balu). Also, both songs have an underlying melancholy feel that is so unique to Raja...it just tugs your heart.

raajarasigan
9th July 2010, 11:22 AM
pazhamudhir chOlai enakkAga thAn...
:musicsmile:

free-flowingumbAingaLE... :yes: I always feel that there are certain IR songs in which the tune is free flowing like a river... as if that it has to go like a pre-defined pattern and IR presenting it..... there is NO better way to flow.... the other song which immediately comes to my mind is 'Raja Raja Chozhan naan' from RVK...:swinghead:

Sureshs65
9th July 2010, 04:13 PM
Vinatha,

'kothaga' is bliss. One of my friends used to argue that new songs are not very good because they did not touch him like this song!!! Such a seemingly simple song. I wrote about this sometime back. The way he lets the tune climb reminds you of a bird taking off and that is exactly what the song says, 'kothaga rekkalochena'. Wonderful combination. Raja and Sirivennala.

Sureshs65
9th July 2010, 04:22 PM
Shank,

Welcome back after a long break. As usual top class picks. Who can even argue with such songs? Almost everything done in these songs reeks of class. 'Kadhal Oviyam' is like potato chips. You just can't stop with one song :)

baroque
9th July 2010, 09:37 PM
yes...சுரேஷ்,
Classical Ilayaraja's best compositions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFiuFl5UhxE
andela ravamidi padamuladaa.....mmm, must be ambience of ragam dharmavati like ilam cholai pooththadha....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L9j6UY740E
love,

Sureshs65
10th July 2010, 10:28 PM
'aaro paadunnu dhoori' from 'Kadha Thudarunnu. Lovely melody.

app_engine
11th July 2010, 04:36 AM
HTNI
ஆஹா, தனிமையில் வண்டி ரொம்ப நேரம் ஓட்ட வேண்டி வரும்போது, இதைத்தட்டி விட்டால்...என்ன சுகம்!

rajkumarc
11th July 2010, 05:51 AM
Thanks Suresh and Vinatha for bringing out lot of Telugu songs that I haven't listened. Absolute gems.

Re-visited Naan Kadavul songs after a while. Except for Om Shivoham, rest of the songs are in the pathos genre which is long lost now in the modern day music. An amazing album whose effect lingers on even after I have switched off my music player.

raagas
11th July 2010, 09:03 AM
'aaro paadunnu dhoori' from 'Kadha Thudarunnu. Lovely melody.

I at times wonder at some coincidences. I was listening to exactly this song, and exactly at 10:30pm on saturday night! :)

Sureshs65
11th July 2010, 10:15 AM
rajkumarc,

If you get Telugu albums like 'Swarnakamalam', 'Sankeertana' and 'Aalapana' just buy them. Luckily Aditya Music has released these in mp3 formats and is available in Bangalore. If you have any issues in getting them, let me know. I can help. 'Swarnakamalam' will easily go into the very top list of Raja' s outstanding oeuvre for everything in this album is pitch perfect. The tunes, the orchestration, the singing, picturization, acting and above all, the lyrics.

raagas,

You picked up where I left off :) I mean I had finished listening to 'aaro' by 10:30 and you have started listening!!! Almost like a replay race :) But seriously, we can expect such coincidences for the more recent songs.

After a great discussion with two hubbers a couple of days back, revisited 'Pazhassi Raja'. Definitely a certified classic. Every time I listen to this I come to the conclusion that no one other than Raja could have come up with such a superb album. 'Adhi Ushas' and 'Kunnathe' stand atop the pinnacle. Just the way the violins start in 'Kunnathe' is enough to give me the goosebumps.

baroque
11th July 2010, 10:45 AM
rajkumarc,
watch the movie - SWARNA KAMALAM.
You love it.
Couple of more compositions, I enjoyed today...
priya priyatamma.....killer... amazing electric guitar introduction and interludes with violin,chorus, flute... tabala rhythm.
piliche ... kuhu kuhu vayasE palike.... tahaa tahaa manase ....... janu solo...mesmerizing from the same movie.
kotta kottaga.....Bala with chithra...(IR reused that rhythmic pudhiya poovidhu pooththadhu.....tune).
om namo namah.....Bala & Chithra.....love the duet.
nice rhythm change in charanams to tabala... interludes with synthesizer, keyboard & strings.

Enjoy janavule.....Jikki with Bala & shaila.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgEoYnueVss

பாரிஜாத பூவே.....என் ராசாவின் மனசிலே
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_GTwVYt9t8

Dil Chahta Hai has a song - woh ladki hai kahan... from SEL.

OLD WORLD CHARM. :redjump: LOVE IT.
vinatha.

Devaraagam
12th July 2010, 12:32 AM
rajkumarc,

As suresh mentioned, aditya had released MP 3 version of IR Telugu Songs..it has 7 volumes. when you buy that collection, you will have 80% of the IR's Telugu songs :)

Sureshs65
12th July 2010, 09:26 PM
'varuvai anbe' from 'Garjanai'. Who is the male singer? Is it Krishnachander?

I know some may kill me but I have never heard this song before!!! Fantastic song to say the least.

http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0925'&lang=en

app_engine
12th July 2010, 09:37 PM

I know some may kill me but I have never heard this song before!!! Fantastic song to say the least.

TKS Kalaivanan is the male singer.

Shank
13th July 2010, 06:22 AM
Suresh, I agree..it's an overlooked song. Usually "Enna Sugamana" gets all the looks...plus the whole song has the hero and heroine cavorting on a bed, who wouldn't like that? :-) I'm just kidding...

Thanks for your welcome, man. I've not been able to post here regularly...this "Mudhiyor Kalvi" thing (or foolhardiness on my part) is really keeping me busy. I will do my best to be here...

jaiganes
13th July 2010, 09:25 PM
Oru vaandu koottame from Nandalaala
&
Kaakka Kaakka karuppu thaan from Julie Ganapathi.
watch out for the fast phrase "rumbumbumbum" which is also used by ARR in Keda kari song in Raavanan.

jaiganes
13th July 2010, 09:55 PM
Mannavane Mannavane from thandhuvitten ennai.
I remember fighting with my brother if the word "MannavaLe" is correct or not.
Love this aarabi usage - absoutely SWWEEEEETTTTT.

Sureshs65
13th July 2010, 11:00 PM
'Azhagana nam paandi naatinile' In a private conversation Ravi Natarajan had pointed to this song. Only Raja can think up of such a song. Almost like a US folk song which is morphed into our own rural song!!! No one else fossible :)

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00535&lang=en

raagas
14th July 2010, 12:37 AM

WHAT!!!!!!!!! I CANT BELIEVE IT.Sure you are not joking right?? How is it possible?u heard/have lot of IR songs.How could/did you miss this one?????

app_engine
14th July 2010, 12:44 AM
Garjanai was actually a "synth delight" - way advanced sounds for its time of release :-) There was an interview in kumudam those days which did use the word 'synthesiser' way back then.

My most fav one was 'vandhadhu nalladhu nalla idam, indRudan selvadhu dhEvanidam' by SPB / SJ

'oru ooril oru maharAni' by MV/Chorus is another thuLLal number with rousing sounds by IR. The guitar will literally 'mirattify' in the prelude.

'enna sugamAna ulagam' is a sweet song (MV/UR)

'varuvAi anbE' used to be the least fav those days because of the immature sounding male voice. It had quite a lot of air time, however.

tvsankar
14th July 2010, 01:36 PM
Naan VAnangugiren - Guru - SJ

Beautiful prelude. Dance paatuku guitar....... so sweet.

Unexpected Stanzas........

Rhythm - Raja is Raja - always........

Haunting composition.......

SJ's Rendition - IR's composition in Beauty ai theriya paduthara madhiri oru Singing.......

She is a Queeeennnn ..........

tvsankar
14th July 2010, 01:46 PM
Majestic Humming

Soft but Strong notes from the Flute....

Complicated Beats.... padaravangalai disturb panra madhiri.

SPB and SJ - Lovely Rendition......

Violin - Enna oru Gambeeram..... Enna oru Gentleness........

Really We are Gifted to hear these notes.......

Andha kanji kalayatha - Marudhu paandi.

tvsankar
14th July 2010, 02:00 PM
Punniyavathi

Excellent Album.

sugar syrup la soak ana dhan sila sweet ellam nalla irukum.

Nalla soak ana dhan taste nalla irukum.

andha mahdiir oru sweet album idhu..............

my picks are

1. oru alam poovu - IR and KSC

Nice Rendition of IR and KSC.

IR's Own Creativity. Tats all.

2. Panju polae - SJ

enna solla. Great song.

very Beautifullllllllllllllll orchestration.........

Friendly Beats. Singer ai vazhi nadathum......

tvsankar
14th July 2010, 02:07 PM
80s Folk song

Therku Theru machanae - PS and Gangai Amaran - Inagyum oru Gangai

80s village - ipadi than irundhadhu.

Nativity - Really so sweeet........

Amaidhiyana Village period...... idhai indha paatula feel panna muidyum.

NIght mood - idhai feel panna vaikum...........

jaiganes
14th July 2010, 07:20 PM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/playlistirsongs.php?PLID=Bilahari%20&lang=en

In the bilahari raagam collection listen to song # 2 - maman voodu - sooper spoof of bilahari in typical nayyandi kuththu style. Whatta sense of humor????

kanna_82
14th July 2010, 08:50 PM
I am listning to a song called "maalai ilam manathil aasaigalai thooviyathu" from the movie "Aval Oru Pachai Kuzhanthai"
Wow what a song...heard that is was SN. Surendar and Shoba Chandrashekars first songs for IR. And it was the debut movie for S.A. Chandrashekar.
Sounds totally like it was a MSW song and but still i can hear it clear that it is a IR tune written all over it...what a song...if someone doesnt know the song then try to give it a listen...u will love it from the first hearing...!
IR music is like the ocean...still coming up with surprises for me...!

raj_musing
14th July 2010, 11:10 PM
I think the songs composed by him in mid seventies,soon after he joined the industry, had a lot of MSV influence.As he gained momentum in the 80's he was setting a trend with each and every single composition... Here is another song composed by him around that time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3C_JuW4bqs

Didn't really look like a raja song to me.

Sureshs65
14th July 2010, 11:20 PM
Jai,

Did we put that 'maaman voodu' in the Freakout thread? If not, we should put it there. Raja's sense of humor is unmatched by anyone.

kanna: That is a lovely song indeed. A very early Raja, where he sounded a bit like his predecessors and at the same time left his stamp behind.

raj_musing: Plum had earlier written a detailed post about this song on how Raja with his tune was able to evoke the whole situation. Plum described the situation perfectly without having seen the song at all!!! It does remind you of MSV but the interludes show us that it is indeed Raja and the way the tune moves with precision is Raja.

raj_musing
14th July 2010, 11:49 PM
Jai,

Did we put that 'maaman voodu' in the Freakout thread? If not, we should put it there. Raja's sense of humor is unmatched by anyone.

kanna: That is a lovely song indeed. A very early Raja, where he sounded a bit like his predecessors and at the same time left his stamp behind.

raj_musing: Plum had earlier written a detailed post about this song on how Raja with his tune was able to evoke the whole situation. Plum described the situation perfectly without having seen the song at all!!! It does remind you of MSV but the interludes show us that it is indeed Raja and the way the tune moves with precision is Raja.

Oh thanks Suresh.Didn't know that there was a post on this.I had never heard this song before but liked it at first listen itself. Another one which I always listen for its unique blend of violins,humming patterns and rythms is "Chinna Pura" from Anbe sangeetha and the feeling this song creates in me each time is very special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcuJKKem0eQ

app_engine
15th July 2010, 12:20 AM
The length of the prelude and interludes of 'chinnappuRA ondRu' simply makes one yearn for such ones in the new songs (where IR is somewhat miserly).

Ofcourse I didn't venture into the youtube (enough warnings in the hub in the past about the video of this song) :-)

On the discussion about IR's songs that were more like his predecessor's and not "his style" (as if it were simple to decipher), the biggest one would be 'என் கல்யாண வைபோகம் உன்னோடு தான், வைபோகம் உன்னோடு தான்'. Possibly IR had awe for Sridhar (first movie with him) or the VJ impact - whatever it was, very un-IR-like song, this!

jaiganes
15th July 2010, 12:44 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/playlistirsongs.php?PLID=Brindhavana%20Saranga%20&lang=en

Amazing set of Brindavana Saaranga songs - Some Psuseela songs are breath giving!!
Some songs - i had dismissed when I listened them long back - particularly the koil mani kettene from kanna unai thedugindren.

Sorry raasappu - I am a late bloomer.

ps: there is a serene thiruvasagam bit sung by Raaja in Konjum kuyil paattu song...

Sanjeevi
15th July 2010, 12:52 AM
jai excellent songs, thiraippadal :thumbsup:

thumburu
16th July 2010, 01:45 PM
Punniyavathi

Excellent Album.

sugar syrup la soak ana dhan sila sweet ellam nalla irukum.

Nalla soak ana dhan taste nalla irukum.

andha mahdiir oru sweet album idhu..............

my picks are

1. oru alam poovu - IR and KSC

Nice Rendition of IR and KSC.

IR's Own Creativity. Tats all.

2. Panju polae - SJ

enna solla. Great song.

very Beautifullllllllllllllll orchestration.........

Friendly Beats. Singer ai vazhi nadathum......

"oru aalam poovu" - such an understated Shivaranjini sans its inherent pathos quality and Raja's midas touch changed the hue of the scale to more of sensuality . Amazing indeed!!!!

thumburu
16th July 2010, 01:50 PM
jai excellent songs, thiraippadal :thumbsup:
Two of my favorite Brindhavana Saranga numbers are missing , much to my disappointment. "kallukuLLe vandha eeram enna" by SPB/SJ from "manidhanin marupakkam" and "kannan vandhadhaale nanmai vandhadhu" , a devotional solo by Uma Ramanan from "thambi pondaatti". There is another popular Brindhavana Saranga based song from "AANAZHAGAN", "POOCHOODUM PUNNAI VANAME", again by Uma Ramanan that can be included as well

tvsankar
16th July 2010, 02:20 PM
thumburu,
Thanks for sivaranjani.

Interludes and stanza la Dharmavathi jaadai irukae........

Sureshs65
16th July 2010, 05:43 PM
'kallukulle vandha' is a super song. That is indeed a lovely Brindavana Saranga. Haven't heard the 'Tambi Pondati' song yet. Should do that soon.

Sureshs65
16th July 2010, 05:47 PM
.. and Jai, yes, 'manadhil ore oru poo poothadhu' is as good as it gets. A lovely Brindavanasaranga of PS. (Though her voice sounds slightly old in this song. Maybe that suits the character.) I heard it first in a tape titled, "Flower Songs of Raja". Every song in that tape / CD is interesting.

app_engine
16th July 2010, 06:30 PM
தாழம்பூவே கண்ணுறங்கு
(இன்று நீ நாளை நான், உமா ரமணன் / எஸ் பி பி / ஜானகி)

ராசாவின் இளமை துள்ளித்திரிந்த காலத்தில் உதயமான பாடல் என்பது பல்லவிக்கான பின்னணித்தாளம் கேட்கும்போது நன்கு தெரியும். அந்த மாதிரி "டட்-டட்-துதும்" "டட்-டட்-துதும்"-கள் பிற்காலங்களில் குறைந்து போனதற்கு அவரது இசை முதிர்ச்சி காரணமாக இருக்கலாம். ஆனால் என்னை மாதிரி இளமைத்துள்ளல் விரும்பிகள் அதை மிஸ் செய்தோம் / செய்கிறோம் என்பது ஒரு உண்மை.

அதற்கப்பால், இந்தப்பாடல் கேட்கும்போது அந்தக்கதை சட்டென நினைவுக்கு வருவது ஒரு சுகமான அனுபவம் (நான் திரையில் பார்க்கவில்லை என்றாலும் மாலைமதி நாவலில் படித்து ஷாக் ஆன கதை இது).

தங்கை பாத்திரத்துக்கு ஏற்ற வகையில் உமா ரமணன் குரலும், அக்காவுக்கு ஜானகியும் நல்ல பொருத்தங்கள். அக்காவின் வாழ்வில் இழையோடும் சோகமும் பாடலினூடே மெலிதாக வெளிப்படுவது ஒரு ரசம்:-)

மூன்று சரணங்கள் இருந்தாலும் பாடல் வேகமாக முடிவது போன்ற உணர்வு ராசாவின் வெற்றி!

jaiganes
16th July 2010, 09:47 PM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00641&lang=en

The prelude to Kangalukkul unnai ezudhu song is MINDBLOWING to say the least.
The counterpoint between synth flute and a real one is simply spooky material. This is something only a Raaja can do....
The charanam detour from the pallavi flow is a departure that is rarely seen in thamizh film music - shades of "Amrithavarshini" in charanam takes ones mind to "thoongaadha vizhigal" from Agni nakshathram.
This one is a master piece with wonderful counterpoints between violin orchestra and mild piano.
MASTERPIECE period.

app_engine
16th July 2010, 10:20 PM
When I downloaded songs from the thAlAttu blog sometime back and recorded a few on a CD, the song 'azhagu nilA' from oru oorle oru rAjakumari (Bhagyaraj film) found its way into it.

I didn't like the way it starts (Bhagyaraj trying to pacify a crying child and then does some korangu shEshtai to make it smile etc).

So, the song got skipped each time the CD was in the player.

Once, for a change, tried to go beyond the irritating start and found Mano to be the singer - again skip.

Finally, after pizhinjifying all other songs on the CD (also lazy to reach out to the skip key), I let it run through the course. There are two more dialogs between pallavi-saraNams. One is ok with the lady's konguththamizh while the other -typical Bhagyaraj kattil stuff - is irritating.

Despite such irritations (which possibly affected the acceptance of the album when it arrived among some shiny ARR ones in the 90's), the song has its own IR charm, I'm forced to agree :-)

Raja and thAlAttu is one deadly combo!

jaiganes
16th July 2010, 10:33 PM
When I downloaded songs from the thAlAttu blog sometime back and recorded a few on a CD, the song 'azhagu nilA' from oru oorle oru rAjakumari (Bhagyaraj film) found its way into it.

I didn't like the way it starts (Bhagyaraj trying to pacify a crying child and then does some korangu shEshtai to make it smile etc).

So, the song got skipped each time the CD was in the player.

Once, for a change, tried to go beyond the irritating start and found Mano to be the singer - again skip.

Finally, after pizhinjifying all other songs on the CD (also lazy to reach out to the skip key), I let it run through the course. There are two more dialogs between pallavi-saraNams. One is ok with the lady's konguththamizh while the other -typical Bhagyaraj kattil stuff - is irritating.

Despite such irritations (which possibly affected the acceptance of the album when it arrived among some shiny ARR ones in the 90's), the song has its own IR charm, I'm forced to agree :-)

Raja and thAlAttu is one deadly combo!
I am a big time fan of Azhagu nilaa kaayum song from OOR.
In spite of the speed breaking dialogues, the song is a soothing thaalaattu.
Very simple lyrics and more than musical intricacies there is a simple charm that relaxes and provides hope. The context of the song is about Vekata krishnan an unemployed man searching for his 'break' trying to pacify a child in street. There is a lot of hope amidst despair and Raaja transcends words and whatever meaning they can convey and through his music and tune instills hope - I relax every time I listen to this song. it is magical.

Sureshs65
16th July 2010, 11:53 PM
app_eng and Jai,

You fellows need to make up for half an hour of lost sleep :) Listening to all your recos and following it with other songs in the same movie, inspite of need to wake up early tomorrow. (BTW, good to see Jai back in full action. Was missing his post for some time now.)

'kangalukul' is all that Jai said and more. Probably a good candidate for Ravi Natrajan's 'Techno Baroque' series. The Amirthavarshini touch is very charming in the charanams. From the same movie heard, 'thenral nee' as well. What is that funky beat that accompanies the main beat, both in the pallavi and the charanam. What a conception and execution!! Added to it is the lovely tune. A gem I am discovering now. And then comes the lovely 'mannavane mannavane' I have ofcourse heard this song earlier. A lovely Suddha Saveri, (though I feel it tends to Sama towards the end of the charanams). Super rhythms.

'thazhampoove' is my first listen. What more can I add to app_eng's description. Nothing much :) It is indeed the youthful Raja, the way the rhythm plays, that ever present flute of those days, the way the song is orchestrated. Everything has what app_eng aptly calls 'thullal'.

I understand what app_eng says about OOR losing out during those times. No one has given so many thalattus for so many different situations. Maybe I should make the statement more generic as 'no one has given music for so many different situations'.

jaiganes
17th July 2010, 12:32 AM
app_eng and Jai,

You fellows need to make up for half an hour of lost sleep :) Listening to all your recos and following it with other songs in the same movie, inspite of need to wake up early tomorrow. (BTW, good to see Jai back in full action. Was missing his post for some time now.)

'kangalukul' is all that Jai said and more. Probably a good candidate for Ravi Natrajan's 'Techno Baroque' series. The Amirthavarshini touch is very charming in the charanams. From the same movie heard, 'thenral nee' as well. What is that funky beat that accompanies the main beat, both in the pallavi and the charanam. What a conception and execution!! Added to it is the lovely tune. A gem I am discovering now. And then comes the lovely 'mannavane mannavane' I have ofcourse heard this song earlier. A lovely Suddha Saveri, (though I feel it tends to Sama towards the end of the charanams). Super rhythms.

'thazhampoove' is my first listen. What more can I add to app_eng's description. Nothing much :) It is indeed the youthful Raja, the way the rhythm plays, that ever present flute of those days, the way the song is orchestrated. Everything has what app_eng aptly calls 'thullal'.

I understand what app_eng says about OOR losing out during those times. No one has given so many thalattus for so many different situations. Maybe I should make the statement more generic as 'no one has given music for so many different situations'.
Mannavane song is listed as Aarabhi in Thiraippaadal - which I tto feel it is.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/playlistirsongs.php?PLID=Manirangu%20&lang=en

This is a list of Manirangu raaga songs and guess what there is only one song and what a cracker of a song? Sugaraagame from Kanni raasi.
This song inspite of MV konashtais (due to it being picturised on Janakaraj who is a bagavathar in the movie) is an eye opener to any listener of music who is wondering what is wrong with the modern day music.
These are what this song has which many modern masterpieces (raves including the likes of Paniye from Ayyanar by Thaman) dont have:

1. SOLID TUNE - there is no ifs and buts - the tune in its stand alone version doesnt slip out of our minds and it is enough to hear it only ONCE - you will remember it.
2. Nuanced singing - no shouting over the top and claiming it as a vibrant singing - just enough decibel level with very minor touches here and there - watch out for the way Vani Jayaram and MV make the phrase "bhoagame" and "Raajane" oscillate a few bars before moving on to the next phrase - this exactly what a "bathroom" singer can't do - that is why we need professionals whose voices dont need software to introduce fake tremolos.
3. Orchestral imagination and placement of individual sections.
Offcourse any kid can tune a violin bank software and make it repeat a few notes in an interesting way and present it as a vivid arrangement. However it takes imagination to let a "Nadhiridhin thillaana" singing chorus to pass the baton to a shehnaai backed with violins and other pipes just in time to give the awe inspiring feel of listening to a genius in our wildest romantic dreams - HEAVENLY!!! It feels like running with a hanging glider and jumping of the cliff at that exact time - just that we are not falling, but soaring....

app_engine
17th July 2010, 12:50 AM
'sugha rAgamE' - excellent song! Thank you Jai for reminding an evergreen classic!

MV possibly did some CSJ style singing on stage programs. Either he asked or IR wanted to have that kind of a song. Whatever, they colloborated to make the 'AnandhaththEn kAtRu thAlAttidhE' in maNippoor mAmiyar. Since the movie never got released, that became a strictly-IOKS song :-(

The kanni rAsi number was possibly the second one by MV with "CSJ mimicry". Well, Prabhu's father would have been pleased to hear this:-)

jaiganes
17th July 2010, 01:14 AM
'sugha rAgamE' - excellent song! Thank you Jai for reminding an evergreen classic!

MV possibly did some CSJ style singing on stage programs. Either he asked or IR wanted to have that kind of a song. Whatever, they colloborated to make the 'AnandhaththEn kAtRu thAlAttidhE' in maNippoor mAmiyar. Since the movie never got released, that became a strictly-IOKS song :-(

The kanni rAsi number was possibly the second one by MV with "CSJ mimicry". Well, Prabhu's father would have been pleased to hear this:-)
MV's voice sat aptly with both father(Sivaji) and son(Prabhu) alike. and that is no mean achievment.

Devaraagam
17th July 2010, 01:20 AM
அதற்கப்பால், இந்தப்பாடல் கேட்கும்போது அந்தக்கதை சட்டென நினைவுக்கு வருவது ஒரு சுகமான அனுபவம்

தங்கை பாத்திரத்துக்கு ஏற்ற வகையில் உமா ரமணன் குரலும், அக்காவுக்கு ஜானகியும் நல்ல பொருத்தங்கள். அக்காவின் வாழ்வில் இழையோடும் சோகமும் பாடலினூடே மெலிதாக வெளிப்படுவது ஒரு ரசம்:-)

மூன்று சரணங்கள் இருந்தாலும் பாடல் வேகமாக முடிவது போன்ற உணர்வு ராசாவின் வெற்றி!

App, I fully agree with you as whenever I listen this song.story line came to my mind and the song forced to remember the story of that movie. uma ramanan and SJ together brought that feeling.

Almost 12 yrs back I watched this movie on Sun TV...Just because of IR...

tvsankar
17th July 2010, 03:47 AM
Unnoticed song

Kadhal Nilavae - MVD and Malgudi Subha - Vasuki

Ravi nat dhan sollanam. Endha type song idhu nu.

OLd type song - is Filled by IR's instrumenation.

IR's Original composition.... but it is fixed in an olden style........

Lady's humming - today's style.

Enna solradhu indha IR in Creativity ai............

Sureshs65
17th July 2010, 06:05 PM
Jai,

I think the confusion of the ragam comes from the fact that Arabahi / Sama / Devagandhari are supposed to share the same notes in Arohanam and Avarohanam. Suddha Saveri is also closely related them. I can understand the Arabhi feel in the pallavi, which resembles the KVM Arabhi number, 'aeri karyin mele poravale ponmayile'. The interludes seem to tend more towards Sudha Saveri. When Janaki goes 'nalldoru paadam solla' in the charanam, it definitely gets into Sama territory. I get a feeling that Raja was probably deliberately doing this. An experiment of sorts.

Sureshs65
17th July 2010, 06:23 PM
Jai,

Excellent writeup about 'suga raagame'. Lovely song, well sung by Malaysia and Vani Jayaram.

jaiganes
17th July 2010, 09:32 PM
Jai,

I think the confusion of the ragam comes from the fact that Arabahi / Sama / Devagandhari are supposed to share the same notes in Arohanam and Avarohanam. Suddha Saveri is also closely related them. I can understand the Arabhi feel in the pallavi, which resembles the KVM Arabhi number, 'aeri karyin mele poravale ponmayile'. The interludes seem to tend more towards Sudha Saveri. When Janaki goes 'nalldoru paadam solla' in the charanam, it definitely gets into Sama territory. I get a feeling that Raja was probably deliberately doing this. An experiment of sorts.
true - i never listened closely on the transition... my bad..

Sureshs65
18th July 2010, 12:18 AM
After listening to one female contestant sing 'Isayil Thodangudamma', gave it a revisit. Ofcourse, this is a song you revisit often. A song which, when released itself, had the stamp of a classic on it. An enduring beauty. Infact this song's effect is such that I generally don't go beyond this song when I hear 'Hey Ram'.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00178&lang=en

The vigorous start of the drums establish the intention clearly: You are in for something substantial. Ajoy Chakravarthy then starts the pallavi, to be joined in by the chorus singers, all the while the beat, the amazing beat, incessant in the background. The shenoy in the first interlude takes you directly into the midst of a wedding party followed by Ajay Chakrobarthy's alap and the 'Ram Chadr Ki Jai' chant. The charanam starts with an almost unheard mandolin like instrument following the singer closely. You can hear it during the 'vaanathil' phrase. The second interlude has the rhythms going for a few cycles before an absolutely outstanding violin steps in. What a melody!!! Only Raja could devise such a complex melody. Note how the violin ends, with much lesser gamakams and more plain notes. This is one song which you don't want to end.

I initially thought this was based on Hamsanadam. That is the effect I get. Violin Vicky had argued forcefully against this being seen as Hamsanadham in the yahoo groups once. He feels this ragam is Sarangatharangini (I hope I got this right.) But as Shakespeare said, "A rose is a rose.." So irrespective of whatever raga it is, there is nary a doubt that this belongs to the classics of Raja.

I sometimes feel that at the turn of the century, when everybody was questioning his relevance and his composing ability, Raja threw the gauntlet, "Let's see someone compose like this." So whenever people tell you that Raja of the 2000s is not as good as the Raja of the 80s, show them this song and ask them to get something from an earlier era which will match this. It will be tough, even if they were to search in their Raja library.

All we can now do is hope that someone will make a movie like this which can inspire him to give such music. But who will that be? This is the million dollar question.

raagas
18th July 2010, 01:04 AM
The second interlude has the rhythms going for a few cycles before an absolutely outstanding violin steps in. What a melody!!! Only Raja could devise such a complex melody. Note how the violin ends, with much lesser gamakams and more plain notes. This is one song which you don't want to end.

All we can now do is hope that someone will make a movie like this which can inspire him to give such music. But who will that be? This is the million dollar question.

I think it is saarangi and not violin. I feel it is saarangi because of its meend, particularly when it is ending.

This song is a towering monument. Yet, I would not give complete credit to Ilaiyaraaja alone.Ofcourse he is the creator, a genius. But, I would give credit to Kamal Haasan also.This song is very unusual and i admire KH's guts/taste to go for this song.

Your question's answer is KH, in my opinion.He is capable.Just that he is not serious about his career now.

Devaraagam
19th July 2010, 03:34 AM
Listening vazhi vidu vazhi vidu from Paattu Paadavaa...

I feel SPB is easily dominate IR on this song by giving damn good expression for each and every word.

app_engine
19th July 2010, 09:31 AM
ரொம்ப நாளைக்கப்புறம் "சின்ன மணிக்குயிலு, மெல்ல வரும் மயிலு" - இவ்வளவு உயரத்தை அடைந்த பாடல்கள் - பிரபலத்திலும், இனிமையிலும், துள்ளலிலும், புதுமையிலும் - மிக மிக அபூர்வம்!

ஆர்.சுந்தர்ராஜன், ராசா, பாலு - வாழ்க! (யூட்யூபில் பார்த்தால் நகைச்சுவையும் கிடைக்கும்)

Sureshs65
19th July 2010, 11:41 AM
DR,

I have a different view about 'vazhi vidu' song. I thought Raja stands his ground quite well in that song.

app_eng: Yup. The popularity of 'chinna mani kuyile' was stupendous. That movie had amazing songs and songs of all varieties. Be it the melody drenched 'kaalai nera poonkuyil' or 'un parvayil', the superb rhythm of 'poove eduthu' or the 'kalakal' songs like 'kadaveedhi kalakalakum'. No one can forget "yaaroda akka maga?" :)

vel
19th July 2010, 12:13 PM
Yet, I would not give complete credit to Ilaiyaraaja alone.Ofcourse he is the creator, a genius. But, I would give credit to Kamal Haasan also.This song is very unusual and i admire KH's guts/taste to go for this song.

dont think i agree - it was IR who said the sequence could benefit by adding a song - as per Kamal's script, it was just a montage sequence and he did not have any song in his mind while he shot it...and it was IR who saw the scope for this 'towering monument' of a song there....Kamal only gleefully accepted the suggestion...Why should Kamal take all the credit for merely saying "ok" for this blast of a sheer melting melody suggested by IR? :o

Devaraagam
19th July 2010, 02:45 PM
DR,
app_eng: Yup. The popularity of 'chinna mani kuyile' was stupendous. That movie had amazing songs and songs of all varieties. Be it the melody drenched 'kaalai nera poonkuyil' or 'un parvayil', the superb rhythm of 'poove eduthu' or the 'kalakal' songs like 'kadaveedhi kalakalakum'. No one can forget "yaaroda akka maga?" :)
Suresh, Kaalai Nera poonkuyil and poovey eduthu are damn good melody and IR used appropriate singers.

Sureshs65
19th July 2010, 08:17 PM
Listening to this song from the film 'Kuntriputrudu' Seems to be based on Gowri Manohari ragam. Well sung by Jesudas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUhumEefyg8&feature=related

raj_musing
19th July 2010, 08:57 PM
And in Ilayaraja KJY combination came the song Olathumbathirunnayaladum....which was the "anthem" of Kerala in the early ninties.This takes me to my school days,where this song was repeatedly played in all the channels for atleast 1 to 1.5 yrs..A rythmic song with no much complexities;but as music experts say its really tough to compose a simple melody and raja created a magic with a simple sweet song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Ltq0ZzDks&feature=related

raj_musing
19th July 2010, 09:11 PM
A good song from Unnai Naan Santhithen...Amazing rythm and the hummings that come in between adds more beauty in to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYMoiTiGjKo&feature=related

thx

baroque
19th July 2010, 10:41 PM
olathumbathirunnooyalaadum chellappainkilee....
சோலைப் பூந்தென்றலில் ஊஞ்சலாடும்.... is a masterpiece. :clap:

ஓஒ.......என் பூவே பொன் பூவே காற்றில் ஆடும் பூவே....
en poove pon poove .... Janu's simmendramadhyamam(thaalaatum poongkaatru...., kaatrodu kuzhalin.., idhayame idhayame....idhayam.) :musicsmile:

I meditated with kalyani ambience this morning.
Mouthorgan, bass guitar, flute, strings counterpoint ..evergreen Nilavu thoongum neram.....KUNGUMA CHIMIZH.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k6lUIhIqPo
Shri.IR's finest! :musicsmile:
Lyrics is nice. Lyricist good job.(they don't mention in the cd :x ..sorry.)

My dear Bala... :musicsmile: I love you! PURE MAGIC!
vinatha.

raagas
19th July 2010, 11:11 PM
Yet, I would not give complete credit to Ilaiyaraaja alone.Ofcourse he is the creator, a genius. But, I would give credit to Kamal Haasan also.This song is very unusual and i admire KH's guts/taste to go for this song.

Why should Kamal take all the credit for merely saying "ok" for this blast of a sheer melting melody suggested by IR? :o

ayyo, not all the credit sir. I only said, even he deserves some credit for picking that song. I was only talking abt KH's taste and conviction about having that song, without letting it go.

jaiganes
20th July 2010, 12:59 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00192&lang=en

Raaja of 1980 - the first song Kannan Naalai
is so symbolic of the Raaja single handedly pushing the tune - instrumentation field into a hitherto never before seen territory with instruments coming into their own melodic prominence in the interludes. SJ's vocal swagger and cool so arrogantly stamping her genius on this song.
Audacious song. The anupallavi - that repeats is a melodic gooseflesh inducer.

jaiganes
20th July 2010, 03:45 AM
The second song from Ilamai kolam "Nee illaadha podhu" has a killer second interlude where the swells of cello and violin simply are music storms and the second interlude has a violin counterpoint to synth and other strings that are simply awesome!!

raj_musing
20th July 2010, 10:03 AM
A good song from Unnai Naan Santhithen...Amazing rythm and the hummings that come in between adds more beauty in to this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYMoiTiGjKo&feature=related

thx

And one more nice melody from the same movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZefbZ_zUPg&feature=related

vel
20th July 2010, 10:48 AM
raagas, ok ok

Sureshs65
20th July 2010, 11:27 AM
Jai,

You seem to be in the process of (re) discovering Raja and I am enjoying it. Superb recommendations. I have heard 'Sreedevi' earlier but not the other songs. In the 'kannan' song I love the interludes and I really love the bridge from the charanam to pallavi. I think this is what Shank calls as 'stanza negotiation'.

Should thank you and thumburu for pointing to 'Madhu' songs as well. I saw a picturization of one of the songs on TV and immediately dropped the idea of listening to the songs!!! That is the impact some song picturizations have on you!!!

Sureshs65
21st July 2010, 07:55 PM
Thought I would listen to Pazhassiraja but ended up listening to 'swasathin taalam' (Achuvinte Amma) and 'mazhamega chelin' (Kadha Todarunnu). (Was speaking to a fellow hubber who told me that these were his favourites. Since these were my favs as well, gave them a listen.)

'swasathin thalam' is an amazing and a very touching composition. If you have heard the CD which was released, you would have heard Sathyan speak about the song situation. He said that he wanted a song which was in an inbetween state. A state between friendship and love. The heroine is friendly with the hero and is not yet sure if it is blossoming into love. This song had to explain this confusion and slowly move the friendship towards love. For this Raja creates a wonderful world aurally. A sort of utopian world experienced by those whose friendship is slowly turning towards love. A world where everything is perfect and you go to sleep with a smile on your lips and look forward to the next. (Unlike the managers working in the Indian IT companies :)) This tune has that effect on you. A melody which is like the cool breeze in the late evening. A melody which is like watching the sunset. Something which can only be felt but cannot be explained. Girish Puttenchery's words help in creating this mood. Sathyan does get such melodies in most of the films he has worked with Raja. Sung wonderfully by Jesudas and Manjari.

My friend felt that due to the over exposure of 'Aaro Paadunnu Doori' people were not listening to 'mazha mega chelin' intently and that it was as good a melody as 'aaro padunnu'. I will have to agree with him. You can see that Raja creates one more ideal world in the charanams of this song. Very well delivered by Vijay Jesudas and Shweta. Looks like Shweta has replaced Manjari in Raja's Malayalam works.

Sureshs65
21st July 2010, 08:08 PM
For those who haven't seen it, a link to 'swasathin thalam'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_az53K5UHks

raj_musing
21st July 2010, 11:00 PM
Thought I would listen to Pazhassiraja but ended up listening to 'swasathin taalam' (Achuvinte Amma) and 'mazhamega chelin' (Kadha Todarunnu). (Was speaking to a fellow hubber who told me that these were his favourites. Since these were my favs as well, gave them a listen.)

'swasathin thalam' is an amazing and a very touching composition. If you have heard the CD which was released, you would have heard Sathyan speak about the song situation. He said that he wanted a song which was in an inbetween state. A state between friendship and love. The heroine is friendly with the hero and is not yet sure if it is blossoming into love. This song had to explain this confusion and slowly move the friendship towards love. For this Raja creates a wonderful world aurally. A sort of utopian world experienced by those whose friendship is slowly turning towards love. A world where everything is perfect and you go to sleep with a smile on your lips and look forward to the next. (Unlike the managers working in the Indian IT companies :)) This tune has that effect on you. A melody which is like the cool breeze in the late evening. A melody which is like watching the sunset. Something which can only be felt but cannot be explained. Girish Puttenchery's words help in creating this mood. Sathyan does get such melodies in most of the films he has worked with Raja. Sung wonderfully by Jesudas and Manjari.

My friend felt that due to the over exposure of 'Aaro Paadunnu Doori' people were not listening to 'mazha mega chelin' intently and that it was as good a melody as 'aaro padunnu'. I will have to agree with him. You can see that Raja creates one more ideal world in the charanams of this song. Very well delivered by Vijay Jesudas and Shweta. Looks like Shweta has replaced Manjari in Raja's Malayalam works.

That fellow hubber is absulutely right :lol:
amazing songs sureshji and good write up....

app_engine
22nd July 2010, 09:17 AM
For those who haven't seen it, a link to 'swasathin thalam'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_az53K5UHks

Thank you Sureshji, for the link!

Sweet song & video (me first-timer to this song).

Naturally I couldn't stop with one - ended up watching a number of Sathyan songs (mostly Meera) as well. Obviously, the most interesting picturization is for 'AtRin karaiyOraththu' of rasathanthram :-)

naarayanan
22nd July 2010, 10:11 AM

MV's voice sat aptly with both father(Sivaji) and son(Prabhu) alike. and that is no mean achievment.

there is one more song with csj effect. sondhangale from aduthathu albert.

http://www.dishant.com/jukebox.php?songid=57303

Sureshs65
22nd July 2010, 12:02 PM
app_eng,

Keep listening to 'swasathin thalam' and it will slowly become one of your favourites.

Yup. That is one problem when you follow the youtube link. You end up watching a lot of them!! Since you watched a lot of Sathyan movie songs, I guess it must have been worthwhile :)

raj_musing: :lol:

raj_musing
22nd July 2010, 09:38 PM
app_eng,

Keep listening to 'swasathin thalam' and it will slowly become one of your favourites.

Yup. That is one problem when you follow the youtube link. You end up watching a lot of them!! Since you watched a lot of Sathyan movie songs, I guess it must have been worthwhile :)

raj_musing: :lol:

Suresh,
Like "Swasathin thalam" and "Mazhamegam" song the same applies for few other movies as well.

Listen to "Ponveyilile" from Oru yatra Mozhi below. Its indeed a class..Unfortunately the movie did not have this song and hence "Kakkalakannama" and "Thaimavin" were more noticed.

http://devaragam.com/vbscript/MusicNew.aspx?MovieId=39

Also two other hits from early nineties:
Jackpot released in 1994

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghFxl6ZipSs

Anashwaram released around the same time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK3XBt7DkPA&feature=related

Please note that the site http://devaragam.com/vbscript/musicNew.aspx has lot of ilayaraja songs. I got this site after talking to one of my friends. Let me check if there are any links for the complete hits of Ilayaraja in Mal.

Thx

raj_musing
22nd July 2010, 10:04 PM
One more song which I missed out, when we talk about the popular songs getting more coverage,but other gems getting less noticed :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_vrKBqjo4c

Though "Melleyonnu Paadi" was hit,this song slowly grows as you listen. This is a very interesting song and equally good like the first.Raja at his best here,in my opinion.

Thx

Sureshs65
22nd July 2010, 11:41 PM
raj_musing,

Thanks for the links. 'thazvaaram' has been my favourite for a long time. The way that Raja develops this song in the charanam is unbeatable. The way the raga Kaapi seeps into this song is delicious. 'tharapadam' is definitely an underrated song. I don't hear it too often. Love that song as well though I somehow feel SPB's pronunciation is not upto standards in Malayalam.

'marakudayal' and 'mellayonnu' were the hits from 'Manasinnakare' but as you say 'thanga thingal' is a lovely song and this grows on you as you keep listening. This is based on the raga Gambeera Naati (Same as 'innum ennai enna seyya pogirai') Raja gives this song a very different colour than what he gave for 'innum ennai'. One of my Telugu friends says that he loves 'thangathingal' the most in 'Manasinakkare'.

Sureshs65
22nd July 2010, 11:43 PM
Listened to one stanza of 'poonkatinodu' from 'Poomukhapadiyil Ninneyukathu'. Some contestant in a singing competition sang this and sang it decently. What a lovely composition!! The charanam has the Raja trademark of the melody slowly increasing and reaching its zenith when it joins back the pallavi.

Sureshs65
22nd July 2010, 11:46 PM
raj_musing,

Thanks once again for making me listen to 'tharapadam'. It has been a while since I heard it. Super duper melody.

baroque
23rd July 2010, 02:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H_AwNEig94

speedy aala asaththum mallidhaan......What a masterpiece from 80s ilayaraaja.
:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:
Bala with Uma ramanan.
prelude classical chalanatta aalap, trumpet, drums, bass guitar-violin/trumpet counterpoint in the 1/ 2nd interludes respectively , strings, charanam has vocal counterpoint, flute calls.
Sun is shining this Thursday afternoon at San jose.
Ilayaraaja with Bala is bursting with energy... Shri.IR's orchestral emblishments..bgm is addictive.:thumbsup:(I must thank CSR- IR yahoo group, WCM-theory sollikoduththa :))

priya32
23rd July 2010, 02:41 AM
Baroque,

Female's voice is Vani Jeyaram's, not Uma Ramanan's!

baroque
23rd July 2010, 03:02 AM
thanks, Priya.

raj_musing
23rd July 2010, 10:08 AM
Suresh,

SPB has done really well with his pronunciation in this particular song...That's what I felt. His expertise in singing romantic duets is very evident here.Though chitra did well,SPB had never forgotten to register his stamp here in his inimitable style,making this song a real delicacy..

raj_musing
23rd July 2010, 10:25 AM
The contestant was really graceful here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDhWEskz04

One of my fav songs of the late 90's which you can dance,as you keep Listening.
There were few other songs also from "Naatupura paattu" which Iam unable to find in Youtube links.

Thx

Plum
23rd July 2010, 11:27 AM
Suresh. raj_musing, always a pleasure to talk about Raja's malayalam of 90's. It was truly the pinnacle of his 90's ouevre before he turned the clock and got into Virumandi-Hey Ram-Pithamagan mode in Tamil.
thArapadham is the only song in that movie, I think, and the movie itself, with the tinge of sadness running through, despite there being no hint of the impending tragedies until the actual tragedy happens, which is well into three quarters of the movie. One wonders why one felt that tinge of sadness throughout the movie when the director himself dropped no such hint. And that's when you realise the man behind the musical baton who has worked that aspect into the movie. And this feeling of dread induced in you from the beginning is what makes the movie watchable, otherwise it is a pastiche of very ordinary moments.

It isnt a good movie by any stretch. And I am not a fan of the MD "correcting the flaws" of the movie but this sort of tells you why having IR as your MD is a huge advantage as a director - he kind of grants legitimacy to your movie more than it deserves. Well, it is like the director, if he were a character in a rom-com, could say to Raja "You complete me" :lol:

Plum
23rd July 2010, 11:29 AM
Oh I forgot to add that the discussion is relevant in the sense that thArapadham, the song itself is a romantic ditty that carries that underlying sense of poignancy. I think the way Raja understands a director and a movie, it is unparalleled. It is not about giving apt BGM. It is about the instinctive understanding of what the director's vision is, and the ability to communicate it even when the director fails to translate his vision into execution.

raagas
23rd July 2010, 11:49 AM
raj_musing,

Thanks once again for making me listen to 'tharapadam'. It has been a while since I heard it. Super duper melody.

I love this song. I dont know about pronunciation since I dont know the language. But SPB's voice had good expression (like he has in Tamil/Telugu songs). The beginning feels a bit cheesy (only the quality of violins sound actually).. in the sense that when i heard it for the first time, i doubted if it was really ilaiyaraaja. Only the flute pieces which appear along with violins confirmed that it is him. Otherwise, those violins bit in the beginning sounded as if someone was imitating ilaiyaraaja on poor quality instruments/recording. After the vocals start off, i felt it was all on track.

Sureshs65
23rd July 2010, 01:13 PM
Well, it is like the director, if he were a character in a rom-com, could say to Raja "You complete me" :lol:

:lol:

Plum: That was a nice writeup about how music helps the movie. I haven't watched it but reading your post makes me want to watch it for the BGM.

raj_musing: SPB has sung it very well. No doubt about that. What I probably meant was SPB doesn't sound 'Malayali' enough :)

Sureshs65
23rd July 2010, 03:45 PM
Plum,

After reading your description and hearing the song again, the mood of the song makes even more sense. Wonderful.

Shank
23rd July 2010, 07:22 PM
Plum, I agree...Tharapadam is one of my favorites as well and I have always felt the same about that song. Another one that readily comes to mind is "Nilave Mugam Kaattu" from Ejaman. There is underlying sadness throughout that song.

tvsankar
23rd July 2010, 08:37 PM
Shank,
one more song in your list

oru ganam oru yugamaga - Nadodi thendral

indha paatulayum dhan oru sogam - irundhnudae irukum.

tvsankar
23rd July 2010, 09:42 PM
Oru ganam oru yugama kaetadhum,
manasu automatic a kaekum
IR's one more Mohanam is

Naan Undhan thaayaga vendum...

Dono the reason.............

raj_musing
23rd July 2010, 09:47 PM
Plum,

Well explained. Raja's ability to sense the mood of the movie and give that "Tinge of sadness" for that romantic song is commendable and as you said the movie never fared well expect for the songs/BGMs which reverberate in your mind forever!
The director of this movie Jomon had earlier used raja for his movie "Samrajyam" which was released in 1990. Though the movie never had any songs,the BGM of this movie stands out as usual.Here is a clipping of that mind-blowing "introduction music" which was well received and really a super hit during those days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4hjaIixpLs

tvsankar
23rd July 2010, 09:55 PM
Vaanathil irundhu
kuthichu vandhena

IR voice - so nice.

Haunting tune.90s Gem.

Sureshs65
23rd July 2010, 10:10 PM
r_m,

Thanks for the 'Samrajyam' link and also for clearing my doubts about not finding the songs of this movie :)

raj_musing
23rd July 2010, 10:14 PM
r_m,

Thanks for the 'Samrajyam' link and also for clearing my doubts about not finding the songs of this movie :)

:)

Shank
24th July 2010, 01:11 AM
Yes, Suresh...Samrajyam did not have any songs.

Also, "Konchi Karayalle" from Poomukhapadiyil Nineyumkathu is another song that has a tinge of sadness throughout.

raj_musing
24th July 2010, 10:43 AM
Yes, Suresh...Samrajyam did not have any songs.

Also, "Konchi Karayalle" from Poomukhapadiyil Nineyumkathu is another song that has a tinge of sadness throughout.

That song is a sheer beauty :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpaBdS1--1I&feature=related

Sureshs65
24th July 2010, 03:12 PM
r_m,

The two songs of PMPNK should be heard and digested. Never ever seen !!!! Takes the cake for bad picturization along with Ninaivellam Nithya songs.

raj_musing
24th July 2010, 07:52 PM
Suresh,

The picturization is not good at all,but the beauty of these two songs just overcomes that! Trust me that I have never seen this movie,as its just an average flick,however I had enjoyed these 2 songs always without visualizing the scenes :)

raj_musing
24th July 2010, 10:56 PM
Nee pere Pranayama Song from the movie "Kirathakudu".Liked it at first listening..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl-a0lI2DEI&feature=related

When it comes to telugu movies,I could see a lot of song sequences with allmost similar patterns of dance steps.To compose for these sequences without being repeatative needs a special imagination.How many of them has raja composed here?
His creative mind has never let us down in most of the cases..
Another nice melody by Lataji and SPB from "Akhari Porattam"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_3jRbQdcaQ&feature=related

Sureshs65
25th July 2010, 12:37 AM
The 'Kiratakudu' and 'Aakhari Porattam' songs are nice ones. 'swathi chinuku sandhyavelalo' from 'Aakhari Porattam' is another good song.

You have a point there r_m. Not only in Telugu but also for many movies in Tamil, the steps are the same, the situations are the same, etc etc and still for all those mundane situations he creates magic. You cannot doubt the dedication of this man to his craft. When I hear someone say that songs of some recent movie are not upto the mark because this is a 'commercial movie', all I can think of telling them is to go and listen to the innumerable Chiranjeevi and Rajni songs that Raja had tuned. There was mass and there was abundance of class. Both Chiranjeevi and Rajni got very good boost due to the songs Raja gave them in the initial part of their career.

Sureshs65
25th July 2010, 12:54 AM
A real erotic number

http://bit.ly/9Qiok1

venkkiram
25th July 2010, 04:51 AM
"வாலிபமே வா வா (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00702&lang=en)" படத்தில் பி.சுசிலா - மலேஷியா வாசுதேவன் குரலில் அருமையான மெலடி.
அழகே உன்னை கொஞ்சம்
கண்கள் எழுதவா வா வா வா
நெஞ்சம் முழுதும் நீ நீ நீ
உயிரெழுதும் ஒரு கவிதை
ராகம் சொல்ல வா வா வா
வானில் இன்று மேக ஊர்வலம்
யாரைத் தேடிப் போகுதோ
ஏழு வண்ண வானவில்லிலே
மாலை யார்க்கு சூட்டுமோ
மலையின் அங்கம் எங்கும் பச்சை மரகதம்
இயற்கை அன்னை தந்த அன்பின் தரிசனம்
அழகை விழியில் அளப்போம்.. வா வா வா
தேனில் செய்த தேகம் தாங்குமோ
தென்றல் வந்து தீண்டினால்
வேலில் செய்த பார்வை தாங்குமோ
என்னைப் பார்த்து வீசினால்
அடியே நீயே எந்தன் கண்ணின் முகவரி
எனக்கும் காமன் தந்தான் உந்தன் முகவரி
எனக்கும் அவன்தான் கொடுத்தான்..வா வா வா

"வா வா வா" என சுசிலா முடிக்கும் விதமே அழகு...

இதே படத்தில் வரும் இன்னொரு சிறந்த மெலடி - ஏசுதாஸ் - ஷைலஜா குரல்களில் வரும் "பொன்வானம் பூங்காவின் தேரோடுது"

இரண்டில் எது பிடித்திருக்கிறது என வீட்டில் எனக்கும் சகோதரிகளுக்கும் விவாதம் நடந்ததில் (அது நடந்து இருபது வருடம் இருக்கும்!) வென்றதென்னவோ சுசிலாவின் தேன் குரலில் ஒலிக்கும் "அழகே உன்னை கொஞ்சம்". புதுமையான சந்தத்தில் பல்லவியை சிறப்பாக நெய்திருப்பார் ராஜா. அப்புறம் இருக்கவே இருக்காங்க சுசிலாம்மா.. கடைசியில் கொஞ்சமாக பாடியிருந்தாலும் ம.வாசுதேவன் தன் முத்திரையை பதித்திருப்பார்.

raj_musing
25th July 2010, 09:18 AM
The 'Kiratakudu' and 'Aakhari Porattam' songs are nice ones. 'swathi chinuku sandhyavelalo' from 'Aakhari Porattam' is another good song.

You have a point there r_m. Not only in Telugu but also for many movies in Tamil, the steps are the same, the situations are the same, etc etc and still for all those mundane situations he creates magic. You cannot doubt the dedication of this man to his craft. When I hear someone say that songs of some recent movie are not upto the mark because this is a 'commercial movie', all I can think of telling them is to go and listen to the innumerable Chiranjeevi and Rajni songs that Raja had tuned. There was mass and there was abundance of class. Both Chiranjeevi and Rajni got very good boost due to the songs Raja gave them in the initial part of their career.

Suresh,

Thx. Akhari Porattam songs are haunting me now.Can't get out of those tunes and rythms..Looping it again and again.

Sanjeevi
25th July 2010, 02:36 PM
"வாலிபமே வா வா (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00702&lang=en)"

Good song but weakest album from IR+BR combo. I quite liked 'kannE Balam Thannal Vanthathu' also

baroque
26th July 2010, 02:10 AM
இனிமேல் நாளும் இளங்காலை தான் ... எனையும் கூடும் மணமாலைதான் ....ஜானு's ஹம்சத்வனி beauty. :musicsmile:
vinatha.

baroque
26th July 2010, 02:43 AM
:ty:
நன்றிகள் கோடி for வாலிபமே வா வா ...இளையராஜா's 80s
Golden early 80s இளையராஜா .
பொன் வான பூங்காவில் தேரோடுது.....must be favorite of டீ கடை near our சந்து.
கார்த்திக் & ராதா were latest hit that time .
remember மாலை சூட கண்ணே ராதா நாள் வராதா.....lover boy with his sister ... இளமை துள்ளும் கிடார் strumming , violin வாசிச்சிங்...ebullient orchestration
:redjump:ஹோர ஹூரா ஹோர ஹூரா ஹோர ஹூரா:bluejump: vinatha.

tvsankar
26th July 2010, 03:01 PM
Ilamai ullam - Paadum Paravaigal........

SJ's rendition - Great.......

Instruments speaks a lot with SJ....

Jerk illamal mood change agi, original place ku varum azhagu

- This is IR's Special.....

Flute - Done a Great Job.......

tvsankar
26th July 2010, 03:07 PM
Muthathu maada pura - Mano and KSC

Soothing Beats.......

Simple but sweeeeeeet orchestration......

IR's chorus - Something special.....

very nice chorus.......

Periya kudumbam

Muthathu madapura

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00487&lang=en

tvsankar
26th July 2010, 11:53 PM
IR music il Kamal voice

Really amazing...........

kashtamana scale and pitch........... Great singing........

Vey vey - oka Radha Iddaru Krishna

SPB polavae, Orchestration melae oru Constant Care...

Sureshs65
27th July 2010, 05:02 PM
Heard today was Chitra Chechi's birthday. So went on a Chitra trip hearing 'Kunnathe', 'Swapnangal Kannezhudiya' and 'Aaro Padunnu' in quick succession. Superb singer and superb songs.

raj_musing
27th July 2010, 09:33 PM
Chitra has done justice to this song as well.Wonderful composition and brilliantly sung by the pair...

Kanna varuvaya from Manadil Urudi Vendum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hns_sIzvXI4&feature=fvw

raj_musing
27th July 2010, 09:52 PM
A song from the 1970's. Vasantha kala kolangal from the movie Thyagam. At first listen I thought the songs are by MSV. There are 2 other songs in the movie sung by TMS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuV8Hemr_l8&feature=related

raj_musing
27th July 2010, 10:15 PM
Oh God! I have never heard these songs as well. Iam listening to the song from Naan Potta Saval. Very youthful and full of energy in this song. The use of violins to express the mood of the song need no special mention..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8ltnSLWds&feature=related

app_engine
27th July 2010, 11:04 PM
A song from the 1970's. Vasantha kala kolangal from the movie Thyagam. At first listen I thought the songs are by MSV.

One of the biggest early day hits of IR-SJ combo, outside the "folk" group!

Brilliant interludes easily showcase Raja in this song :-) I agree 'nallavarkkellAm sAtchigaL reNdu' sounds MSV'ish - possible reasons are TMS / Sivaji / Newcomer-IR-adakki-vAsichchifying etc. Even 'thEn mallippoovE' was different from 70's IR.

raj_musing, while on this trip, please stop by the 'poovizhi vAsalil yAradi vandhadhu kiLiyE, kiLiye' of deepam (IR's first movie with Sivaji) and you're sure to get stunned!

Sureshs65
27th July 2010, 11:50 PM
raj_musing,

As app_eng says 'vasantha kala kolangal' was such an hit that even I knew of it in Hyd :) Listening to this song makes you understand why some people are unwilling to see beyond the late 70s and early 80s IR.

BTW, this is one of the songs that Raja spoke about when he was speaking about Kannadasan. Said that Kannadasan very effortlessly got the lyrics. As usual, if I may add :)

And here is the link to 'Poovizhi Vasalil' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BePtCZrCOLg The tune is so good that you can forgive KJY's pronunciation :)

app_engine
28th July 2010, 12:11 AM
Sureshji,
KJY is not to blame in this case of கிளியே, கிளியே, இளங்கிளியே, கிளியே because the way La gets pronounced in Malayalam is somewhat different from Thamizh (a little thinner). He greets a malaiyALikkiLi:-)

Someone from TN should have corrected him at that point of time:-)

OTOH, his 'therukkOyilE Odi vA' (ninaivAlE silai seydhu of andhamAn kAdhali) was definitely ugly:-)

raj_musing
28th July 2010, 07:51 AM
app_eng & Suresh

Vasantha Kala kolangal is a sweet nice song but I had never listened to this before... and Thanks for the Poovizhi vasalile song. I have heard this,but was under the belief that this was by MSV . Perhaps I felt this song had a tinge of MSV in its style,though shades of raja were present intermittently :)
Oh dear..As suresh said,I have missed many of raja's early 70's,as I was stuck with 80's and 90's and need to revisit that gallery to find all these treasures,,

app_engine
28th July 2010, 11:06 PM
I have missed many of raja's early 70's

நீங்கள் அவசரமாகப்போக வேண்டிய இடம் திரைப்பாடல்.காம் அல்லது அது போல 70'களின் ராசாவின் இசை பரப்பும் ஏதாவது ஒரு இடம்:-)

எனக்குத்தெரிந்து, 70'களுக்குப்பின்னர் பிறந்த சிலர் கூட இது ராசாவின் மிகச்சிறந்த காலகட்டம் என்று சொல்லக்கேட்டிருக்கிறேன். (எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்தது ஆரம்ப 80'கள்).

எம்.எஸ்.வி'யுடன் நல்ல போட்டி இருந்ததனால், மெலடியில் ராசாவின் மிகச்சிறந்தது 70கள் என்று எளிதாகச்சொல்லிவிட முடியும். (பதத்துக்கு ஒரு சோறு - சின்னக்கண்ணன் அழைக்கிறான், கவிக்குயில்).

அவ்வப்போது கவிஞர் எழுத்துக்களும் கிடைத்த காலம் அது தானே?

என்றாலும், கருவி இசையிலும், ட்யூன் போட்டுப்பின் பாடல் எழுதச்செய்து கொண்டு, நிறைய ஃப்யூஷன் புதுமைகளைக்கொண்டு வந்ததும் "நிழல்களில்" உச்சமடைந்தது என்பதால் எனக்கு 1980 அதிகம் பிடிக்கும்.

baroque
28th July 2010, 11:11 PM
oh.... yeah... raj_musing, 70s ilayaraja is a delight.
I type quickly whatever I can ...
Raaja's sangeetham rushing like GANGES! :musicsmile:

From Vasantha kaala kolangal.......is early ir's bhimpalasi.
mmm.just this morning I woke up bhimpalasi feel Bala's neelavaana oodaiyil........what a masterpiece.
Annakkili
kannan oru kaikuzhandhai.....classical yesu, hindustani Ilayaraaja's khamaj...naan pesa vandhen......Caressing Bala,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-lk8HJDByg&feature=related
oru naal unnodu oru naal uravinil aada.....early ir's romantic masterpiece.
LONG LIVE Shri.ILAYARAAJA!
dramatic violin , flute interludes.
Addictive composition.
Nostalgic late 70s Ilayaraaja... I grew up.
Where do I begin with
16 vayadhinile
Deepam
Kavikkuyil
avar enakke sondham...more more.
ஒரு காதல் தேவதை.......sublime kirwani ilayaraaja with Bala...
meri bheegi bheegi si...palkhon pe reh gaye...Pancham Da's composition.
I live with EARLY ILAYARAJA forever!
veenai meettum kaigale.......janu's solo.
http://raretfm.mayyam.com/stream/pow06/veenai_vnv.rm
LOVE YOU POW- Ramki...thanks for the delight.
again hindustani ilayaraaja with a touch of khamaj, bageshri ..kalapadam ......malkunji feel in pallavi(second charanam in higher octave engeyo oodipiradhu..).....veena orchestration.
Remember the famous
jeevan se bhari teri aankhen.....
the poetry, singing, music, the raaga malkunji...
masterpiece from Kalyanji-Anandhji.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMa6BeIUVm0
megame thoodhaga vaaa azhagin aaraadhanai... again hindustani ilayaraaja...with pahadi ambience.
double the pleasure
ore naal unai naan...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCRVdWEy3hk
Bala is the ULTIMATE singer , India has ever produced!
then...
sri devi en vaazhvil....classical best hindolam ilayaraaja.
orchestration!
power packed with guitar, violin, veena, rapid jadhi charanam...Yesudas's classic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LggayXONwiU
chittukuruvi
achchaani
aval appadiththaan
kizhakke pogum rayil
sigappu rojakkal
mullum malarum
Isai ennum inba vellam namaba yellaraiyum muzhugadichuruththu.... No Stopping ..
Get Sa re ga ma - Legends 5 cds pack...isai Gnani Ilayaraaja.
(Legends series is amazing.
they have many artists
from Geeta dutt, Lata mangeshkar, Madhan mohan, R.D.Burman, Ilayaraaja, Rafi, M.S.V-T.K.R, P.B.Sreenivos etc...)
love you early ilayaraaja.
:bluejump: :redjump: :bluejump:
http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=155063&mode=100&rand=0.23478447219466636
folkish ilayaraaja's female duet with violin, flute, strings and shenoy orchestration.
janu with sasirekha...vattaththukkul chadhuram.
:redjump: :redjump:
kaaththodu poovurasa......
Raaja romba romba romba romba romba romantic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPe-8LGe1qE
Listen to S.P.B...SMOOTH... the singer defines!
annai oru aalayam...Rajini, sri priya.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PXtsTdkFHI&feature=related
nadhiyoram......susheela with Lover boy.
what a prelude flute!
violin, flute, guitar strumming erotic ilayaraaja.
Bala makes me giddy.

Plum
28th July 2010, 11:12 PM
SugamO aayiram - came randomly to memory. I am short of words.

jaiganes
28th July 2010, 11:59 PM

நீங்கள் அவசரமாகப்போக வேண்டிய இடம் திரைப்பாடல்.காம் அல்லது அது போல 70'களின் ராசாவின் இசை பரப்பும் ஏதாவது ஒரு இடம்:-)

எனக்குத்தெரிந்து, 70'களுக்குப்பின்னர் பிறந்த சிலர் கூட இது ராசாவின் மிகச்சிறந்த காலகட்டம் என்று சொல்லக்கேட்டிருக்கிறேன். (எனக்கு மிகவும் பிடித்தது ஆரம்ப 80'கள்).

எம்.எஸ்.வி'யுடன் நல்ல போட்டி இருந்ததனால், மெலடியில் ராசாவின் மிகச்சிறந்தது 70கள் என்று எளிதாகச்சொல்லிவிட முடியும். (பதத்துக்கு ஒரு சோறு - சின்னக்கண்ணன் அழைக்கிறான், கவிக்குயில்).

என்றாலும், கருவி இசையிலும், ட்யூன் போட்டுப்பின் பாடல் எழுதச்செய்து கொண்டு, நிறைய ஃப்யூஷன் புதுமைகளைக்கொண்டு வந்ததும் "நிழல்களில்" உச்சமடைந்தது என்பதால் எனக்கு 1980 அதிகம் பிடிக்கும்.

I am invariably impressed with everything Raja did in 1979.
http://thiraipaadal.com/year.php?schYear=1979&lang=en

It has everything from Rosappoo ravikkai kaari to Uthiri pookkal to Pattakaththi bhairavan. This is one Raaja year I will take to my grave.

app_engine
29th July 2010, 01:27 AM

Great year, what an output!

Spent a few minutes in that site, browsing thru the album lists from 76 to 10 and the % of movies & known hit songs of "the perceived market #1 MD" out of the total TFM, for each year :-)

It would be impossible for anyone to come anywhere close to IR in that record for any single year.

And interestingly, he held it for years! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also, it looks like the talk about "market dominance" doesn't exist anymore i.e. after y2k in TFM IMO.

Recently, I received an MP3 with "50 Thamizh top hits" of 2000's. Quite assorted, I should say. And it had 2 songs of IR and 2 songs of the succeeding biggie, ARR. Rest are by more than a dozen MDs. After IR (from late 70's to early 90's), not a single one seems to have a similar kind of stranglehold on the industry !

The gap between all other MDs and IR in TFM history - in terms of consistency & # of hits year after year - appears to be too huge!

And this is not necessarily IMO, looks like it's a statistical fact:-)

jaiganes
29th July 2010, 09:26 AM

Great year, what an output!

Spent a few minutes in that site, browsing thru the album lists from 76 to 10 and the % of movies & known hit songs of "the perceived market #1 MD" out of the total TFM, for each year :-)

It would be impossible for anyone to come anywhere close to IR in that record for any single year.

And interestingly, he held it for years! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also, it looks like the talk about "market dominance" doesn't exist anymore i.e. after y2k in TFM IMO.

Recently, I received an MP3 with "50 Thamizh top hits" of 2000's. Quite assorted, I should say. And it had 2 songs of IR and 2 songs of the succeeding biggie, ARR. Rest are by more than a dozen MDs. After IR (from late 70's to early 90's), not a single one seems to have a similar kind of stranglehold on the industry !

The gap between all other MDs and IR in TFM history - in terms of consistency & # of hits year after year - appears to be too huge!

And this is not necessarily IMO, looks like it's a statistical fact:-)
Fact to think about it is - he did it all by himself, just using his head - no computers, no loops, no stealing someone's idea and it also includes rerecording!!! That is mind boggling productivity and restless dedication to stretching his genius to a thin wire.

raj_musing
29th July 2010, 10:04 AM

Though I said I had missed many from the 70's,,a few of them like "Ennadi Meenakshi..."...."Ore Naal" etc are still my favourites...Perhaps that I had heard these songs more often than the others...

Plum
29th July 2010, 02:19 PM
It's 70's all the way for me. More so when i get to discover the thuNai iruppAL mInakshis and kaNNan oru kaikuzhandhais. Sheer flow of tunes, and joy of orchestration. The orchestration here is still majestic, and a new paradigm for TFM, but there is something raw and touch-the-heart about them - to some extent, I do believe that the 80's output appeal that wee bit more to the head than the heart as compared to 70's.

Plum
29th July 2010, 02:19 PM
Ok, let me start the next thread. Never opened a thread in this section - what a travesty!
:thundu_pottufying:

Sureshs65
29th July 2010, 02:54 PM
Jai,

I have never checked it out year wise and I am stunned by the output of 1979. I will agree with you. If you have to take one year, 1979 it would be !!! This shows the genius that Raja was, as you say and it also shows that he was never a good businessman!!! Given the way things are hyped up nowadays and the MD doing one or two movies a year, this one year would be enough to sustain Raja for more than 15 yrs in the current conditions !!!! I am more than sure lot of MDs would be happy if their whole life output was the 1979 output of Raja !!

raj_musing: If you haven't seen it earlier, you should check out www.dhool.com. Go into their Song of the Day collection (SOTD) and check. You will find lot of 70s / early 80s and unreleased Raja. Those songs are just amazing, for a lack of a better superlative. Some unbelievable guitar work in them.

Plum: To Sathyan's credit he has been able to get melodies from Raja which are perfect, in the sense of appealing to the mind and they go deep inside you. 'swasathin thalam', 'endu paranjalum', 'swapnangal kannezhudiya', 'koda manjin', 'aaro padunnu'. Long lasting melodies.

Sureshs65
29th July 2010, 02:55 PM
Plum,

Guess time for you to cut the ribbon for the next page!!!

Sureshs65
29th July 2010, 04:04 PM
Listening to 'edeya baagilu' from Suryakanthi. One more outstanding song of 2009. The director has done a decent job of picturizing the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ubbylqU3s&feature=related

Plum
29th July 2010, 04:18 PM
Suresh, opened the new thread. ange pEsunga!

Admin, pls lock this thread

Shank
29th July 2010, 05:19 PM
Plum, what thread did you begin?

Shank
29th July 2010, 05:19 PM
sorry...Plum, what thread did you begin?

Plum
29th July 2010, 06:14 PM
This one (http://forumhub.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?t=14522)
100 pagekappuram oru threadai izhuthu mUdinA adutha thread amOgamA veLaichal tharumnu indha forumla oru aidheegam...