PDA

View Full Version : Raja's Gems - the latest one you heard...Part 3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14

V_S
24th January 2012, 06:15 AM
Thanks a ton Suresh ji for introducing to Raj's ragamanjari site. :notworthy: As KV said, it is a treasure site. While I was browsing through, I found one unique thing about the site. It seems Raj picks rare songs combined with rare raagams composed by Maestro. It is difficult to pick like that. I stumbled upon this wonderful post: http://rajamanjari.blogspot.com/2011/08/blog-post.html. This Kannada song for a split second I definitely thought it is Kedaram as it was sounding similar to 'Ithu oru Pon Maalai Pozhuthu', but it is not. It seems this songs was composed in 'malliga vasantham'. Never heard this raagam at all. Luckily we have the video of this song too, but it is noisy at few places. The version Raj shared is of excellent quality. I am totally into this song now. Thanks a lot Raj! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y0dN_lISZQ

AravindMano
24th January 2012, 09:35 AM
Much of the day was well spent listening to this BGM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM7M41rrevE). Treading between loss, sorrow, hope and happiness within a minute without any huge shifts.

The song, of course, is one of the best he composed in that decade.

AravindMano
24th January 2012, 09:36 AM
Why is it showing the video itself? :shock: What should I do to just link?

wizzy
24th January 2012, 09:59 AM
Is Rajsmed and Rajendra kumar who comes in Isaikku Raaja program the same guy? The blog is indeed a gold mine..
//KV, DP is stand-up comedian J.B. Smoove with Michael Richards//

skr
24th January 2012, 10:11 AM
No Wizzy ,
They are different
Rajsmed (Rajesh) is a guy from US who uploads really rare stuff of the Maestro.
Infact it was through him that we got the video songs of classics like Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal , Balanagamma etc

Rajendra Kumar is a hardcore Raja rasigar right from 1976 and his writings are very nice and interesting.
Have come to know a lot of Rare Raja songs , insights through him.

V_S ,
You are absolutely right on Saavira Janamahalu
Its a stunner and i was addicted to it when Raj introduced it to me last Aug during the Geethanjali event.
I will try giving you the link of where he has read out in his inimitable style , the description of this wonder.

vel
24th January 2012, 03:37 PM
This is an amazing song uploaded by my good friend today.
Was discussing the song with the uploader as to what was the raga , it looked like Abhogi/Sriranjani
Then i checked that the Ni was differing resulting in the structure Sa Ri2 Ga2 Ma1 Da2 Ni3 Sa | Sa Ni3 Da2 Ma1 Ga3 Ri2 Sa which is in effect Gowrimanohari sans pa .When i looked up in Wiki Janya list , it is classified as Vasanthashree (Amba Manohari) , never heard of this before :)
Raja magic yet again
This is a song im highly addicted to.

Btw there is a Tamil version of this song also
Poove Pani Poove from Nilavu Suduvathillai sung by S Janaki
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2371'&lang=en

awesome find Rajiv and Suresh....bowled over by the melody ! There is a song in thai moogambigai that uses vasanthasree as one the ragas --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVVBuQM4eJU

vel
24th January 2012, 07:01 PM
awesome find Rajiv and Suresh....bowled over by the melody ! There is a song in thai moogambigai that uses vasanthasree as one the ragas --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVVBuQM4eJU

i read that the thai moogambigai song above also has another rare scale use -- a derivative of lathangi....so check out for this ragamalika gem in detail - vasanthashree and Dhathri ragas and god knows what more rare ragas are there in that song !

app_engine
24th January 2012, 08:11 PM
"ninnukkOri varNam, varNam
isaiththida ennaiththEdi varaNum, varaNum" on repeat this morning (agni natchaththiram, KSC).

I'm glad I didn't get a ticket - with that drums of first interlude making me drive insane :-)

skr
25th January 2012, 12:18 AM
Wizzy ji
Hey Maina is rip roaring stunner , absolutely delightful

skr
25th January 2012, 12:20 AM
The songs that played during the drive this morning :

boopALam isaikkum poomakaL oorvalam (chAral ninnu pOyi aka thooRal ninnu pOchchu, KJY-UR, early 80's)

pazhamudhirchchOlai enakkAkaththAn (remake of 'ennennum kaNNEttandE' called 'varusham 16', KJY, late 80's)

chinna maNeekkuyilE mella varum mayilE (amman kOyil kizhakkAlE, SPB, mid 80's)

uRavukaL thodar kadhai uNarvukaL siRu kathai (avaL appadiththAn, KJY, late 70's)

thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOthu (avathAram, IR-SJ, mid-90's)

App Sir ,
Was the songs from a random playlist or you specifically selected them ?
Anyways interesting choice spread across 3 decades

app_engine
25th January 2012, 12:26 AM
App Sir ,
Was the songs from a random playlist or you specifically selected them ?
Anyways interesting choice spread across 3 decades

I got from TN a few CDs with a lot of MP3s and got them into HDD. The minivan's entertainment system has HDD and all of them got copied using USB drive. OTOH, the old Civic I use for commute has only a CD player and every now and then I "custom make" a CD in Windows media player randomly picking as many songs as can be filled in a CD.

These were all random picks and I didn't pay attention to their time period when writing the CD but noticed only when playing :-)

Another interesting thing I found when paying close attention to 'thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOdhu' - the song almost matches the "Guru" (Malayalam) standards, even sounding like one among them...but avathAram is 2 years before Guru...

skr
25th January 2012, 12:31 AM
Talking about playlists , do we have a playlist thread in our forum ?
Playlists for all situations/feelings/moods/instruments/long drives/hip hop/melancholy/festivals/ringtones etc etc

Jai / V_S / App , i guess you guys are the best when it comes to this.

skr
25th January 2012, 12:37 AM
Hmm thats interesting to know about your random collection.
Sometimes random picks are interesting coz we dont know whats gonna come next and then you'll be in for a surprise .
Thats why Sun Music late nights are always fun :) , because you are always constantly wondering what will pop in next
Perhaps also the reason you noticed the similarity between Thendral Vandhu and Guru song . Btw what song in Guru does it match ?

app_engine
25th January 2012, 01:21 AM
I didn't mean thenRal vandhu sounding like one specific Guru song but "belonging" to that album (sounds, feel, use of wind instruments, drums)...

kiru
25th January 2012, 01:32 PM
I didn't mean thenRal vandhu sounding like one specific Guru song but "belonging" to that album (sounds, feel, use of wind instruments, drums)...
Good observation. My opinion is likewise too.

Divine22
25th January 2012, 01:46 PM
Intha Poovukkoru arasan ~ has been in the loop for more than an hour. What a breezy, warm, mellow sweet song,,,, Lovely.lovely...Egantham....

Take it away, one more time (IR+SPB+KSC) ... here I go again... Thank you!!! :bow:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR2842%27&lang=en

app_engine
25th January 2012, 05:32 PM
Good observation. My opinion is likewise too.

'thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOthu' on repeat in the car.

The second interlude exactly matches the "guru" feel.

My pea-sized brain's deciphering :

-rAsA built the avathAram song keeping in mind a person with no eye-sight, in 1995.
-In one of those highly creative - innovative moments and was very pleased with the outcome.
-Built on the same "style" when a whole movie of blind people (Guru) came up 2 years later :oops:

V_S
25th January 2012, 08:55 PM
This is my second youtube upload. Guitar Madness by one and only Maestro Ilaiyaraaja, scored for an unreleased/obscure movie. Deepan and Sasirekha sang their heart out, their best. This is what is called fusion. You can neither say it is darbari kaanada nor it is a rock classic, because it is both. It deviates the most from both these two forms, yet stays very close to them with strict grammar. Still don't know how many more forms (perspectives) can be derived out this composition. That's why this movie is aptly titled 'Ethanai KOnam Ethanai Paarvai'. Hope you love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKAaQcNwNOs

Sureshs65
25th January 2012, 10:10 PM
V_S,

I have this CD with me. An excellent song but thiraipaadal only has a 2 min clip of this. Nice to know someone has uploaded it on youtube.

V_S
26th January 2012, 12:42 AM
Suresh ji,
Thanks. Yesterday I was listening some songs in thirapaadal site which wizzy and KV posted. While glancing more, I found this film songs and was listening to it, only to be surprised that the song ended way early, abruptly. :sad: That was the reason I uploaded, as this song deserved to be heard fully and with some good quality. :smile:

venkkiram
26th January 2012, 01:01 AM
சில பாடல்களை அப்படியே கேட்டுவிட்டு சாதாரணமாக கடந்து போக முடியல. காந்தம் போல கவர்ந்து இழுத்துக் கொள்கிறது. ராஜாவின் இசையில் வாணி ஜெயராம் பங்கேற்ற ஜோடிப்பாடல்களை கேட்கலாம் என்ற யோசனையில் ஆரம்பமாக சாதனை - "இங்கே நான் கண்டேன்" பாடலிலிருந்து கேட்க ஆரம்பித்தேன். இதைத் தாண்டி வேறொரு பாடலுக்கு செல்லவே முடியவில்லை. கடந்த இரு நாட்களாக திரும்ப திரும்ப..

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR3161%27&lang=en

வாணி - ம.வாசுதேவன்..மகத்தான இரு பாடகர்கள்....இப்பாடலை ஒரு சிற்பமாக செதுக்கியிருக்கிறார்கள் என்றே சொல்லவேண்டும். சக வாத்தியக் கருவிகளோடு ஒன்றாய் கலந்து இணைந்துவிடும் இருவரது குரல்களையும் நான் இரு துளைக்கருவிகளாகவே கருதுகிறேன். ஆளுக்கொரு சரணம் எனப் பிரித்து எடுத்துக்கொண்டதால் இரு சரணங்களும் காவியமாக மலர்கிறது. சரணத்தின் உச்சத்திலிருந்து பல்லவிக்கு திரும்பி வருவது.. இவர்கள் எங்கே கடைசியில் மூச்சை இழுத்தார்கள் என தேட முற்பட்டால் எனக்கு முச்சு வாங்குகிறது.

காதல் ஜோடிகள் ஒருவரையொருவர் தேடும் சூழ்நிலையில் இது சிறந்த உருவாக்கம். நன்றி ராஜா!

skr
26th January 2012, 05:31 PM
V_S , i just saw that you have uploaded the amazing Vidhaitha Vidhai from Ethanai Konam Ethanai Paarvai.
I just heard this song for the first time a week ago albeit on the Thiraipaadal site through a recommendation by a friend and loved it thoroughly.
The quality seems to be pretty good. Do you do something to enhance the quality ? Thanks so much for uploading this.

Btw I will be uploading a very rare song from an unreleased movie of IR known as Adhikaaram tomorrow. (Which i got from CSR Sirs collection) (It is not even mentioned in Rakkamma)
Not sure if you guys App , V_S , Jai , Plum , Suresh , KV , Vel , Baroque and others would would have heard this before .
I played it to Rajasaranam today and he loved it.
Anyway the suspense will be known tomorrow :)

app_engine
26th January 2012, 06:13 PM
vidhaiththa vidhai - was played regularly in hostel (Thanjavur friend's cassette).

However, I'm not sure if I heard the 'adhikAram' song before...let's wait for the suspense to unfold...

V_S
26th January 2012, 08:28 PM
skr,
I normally try to remove some noise and do bass boost using audacity. It automatically converts 128 kbps to 320 kbps too. But I need to learn more about what frequencies need to be set while allowing it through the low pass/high pass filters and so on, as there are more songs which deserved to be heard in best quality. Also waiting to hear from agi music if they can do, that's the best.

I have not heard about Adhikaaram at all. When was this film released? Please upload, will listen to it :D

KV
27th January 2012, 12:14 AM
V_Sji, kOdaanakOdi nandrigal :bow:
This song surely has to be among the best guitar and veenai works of IR, just that prelude is sufficient to stand testimony to this... bloody freakin' hell! This level of multi-threading and all (distortion guitar and veenai... seriously?), asaaltta sollikalaam, vonly IR fossible :bow:

skr
27th January 2012, 01:29 AM
Ok , letting the cat out of the bag
Aivagai Malargale from Adhikaaram , a female solo by S Janaki with humming by ?
Its definitely an IR Song , thats for sure. From the orchestration ,im guessing it should have come around the period 79-81
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWZNYg9WfI

V_S
27th January 2012, 05:16 AM
This song surely has to be among the best guitar and veenai works of IR, just that prelude is sufficient to stand testimony to this... bloody freakin' hell! This level of multi-threading and all (distortion guitar and veenai... seriously?), asaaltta sollikalaam, vonly IR fossible :bow:

Thank you very much KV. Loved your comments as always.:D Yes, it is bloody hell! The prelude and the interludes are freakin' crazy with that beautiful trumpet and flute. Yes, especially the fast guitar in 1st interlude. He cleverly brings tabla to give the hindustani touch and later adds veena to prove the classical touch, wow! In second interlude veena takes over, while guitar watches it and answers, wonderful!. That interesting aspect in this song is, the melody is fast, but it is a soft melody. For this type of soft melody, if the orchestration is also soft, it would have been a good song, but not an extra-ordinary one. The orchestration pulls the melody up and makes the song richer and richer and also gives the required 'pepp' to it, so that it can be listened as a new song anytime and every time. That's showing Maestro's class. :thumbsup:

V_S
27th January 2012, 05:24 AM
skr,
That was a superb and stunning song! Thank you, thank you so much for sharing such a rarest song. :clap: How come I never heard about this movie and songs?. It is definitely IR. Looks like the humming was done by S N Surendar.
What a pleasant singing by SJ. Great interludes, especially the second one. The bass guitar in second one supporting the humming and violins was the highlight. Terrific! :notworthy: The style looks 79-80 to me.

skr
27th January 2012, 11:04 PM
Yes V_S , its a stunning song , first 2 times i heard it thought was a good song but on more continous listening realised that its another treasure
Its interesting to note that the song continouly goes in a doublet pattern and seems to be based on Vakulabharnam Raagam.
How many gems like these have been kept aside as scrap from this great factory ?

About the film , i too have no idea. Perhaps CSR Sir or App Sir may have a say about this movie Adhikaaram.

Btw your rips are very good , the sound is really clear esp the bass. Was listening to your version of Vaa Naalukku Naal today, it sounds so awesome

Nerd
28th January 2012, 01:11 AM
V_Sji thank you for vidhaiththa vidhai. Discoverd this one six months ago thanks to the twitter Raja kweez and fellow hubbers. Been a regular on my playlist ever since. Can you pls. share the mp3?

Plum
28th January 2012, 01:34 AM
kiLiyE kiLiyE from Aa Raathri. Bass guitar treat. Janaki ammA attagAsam. Exquisitely constructed. "MinimOL than chiri kANAn...". Thulliyamaai a mother's puLagAngidham in a musical phrase. Don't you just feel it? 80s Malayalam Raja - eedu iNai illai.

Sureshs65
28th January 2012, 11:57 AM
Plum,

As you can expect, when you talk about 80s Malayalam Raja I have to put my attendance :) Outstanding melody that one is. A Malayali friend of mine once called me from Palaghat to just ask one question, "why is 'kiliye kiliye' not as famous as 'thumbi vaa'? This is an equally superb song. What orchestration, what melody' " I didn't know what to say but later it so happened that lot of people were calling me and asking me such questions for so many songs. The other day one person was talking in glowing terms about one song and asked me, "Can you guess me which song I am talking about?" Obviously what he spoke would apply to 100s of songs. In the end, he said, "devanin kovil".. And I said, "that too".

'Aa Raathri' also has that wonderful 'ee neelima than'. Whenever Jesudas goes "ee sandhya pogunna dhreebugalil" and the humming follows it is almost time to die!!

Listening to the lovely bhajan, "namrata ke sagar" after a long time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z86LscyJhNY

Sureshs65
28th January 2012, 12:07 PM
Nerd,

What is your twitter handle?

S.Suresh

baroque
29th January 2012, 01:36 AM
aivagai malargalai...... is a vintage ilayaraja.

some ethereal female solos from kalai paniyil...... , azhagiya kanney.... to

poove idhu poojai kaalame.....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0954'&lang=en

tinge of longing pathos and joy with flute, tabla, strings.. magical!

songs like this keep some of us forever trapped with early ilayaraja! Lucky us! http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

kiru
29th January 2012, 05:17 AM
aivagai malargalai...... is a vintage ilayaraja.

some ethereal female solos from kalai paniyil...... , azhagiya kanney.... to

poove idhu poojai kaalame.....

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0954'&lang=en

tinge of longing pathos and joy with flute, tabla, strings.. magical!

songs like this keep some of us forever trapped with early ilayaraja! Lucky us! http://www.mayyam.com/talk/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Very good song.. actually all the songs in this movie are good. "Early" IR songs seems to have lots of counterpoints ..it kind of decreased .. and came back as full-fledged grand orchestrations in the 2000s.

kiru
29th January 2012, 05:42 AM
V_Sji, kOdaanakOdi nandrigal :bow:

I dont think I've heard guitar chords throughout a indian classical sounding tune before. I like Deepan's voice too. Apart from the "hits" and popular ones dont know how many gems like this have been done and forgotten. Thanks V_S.

baroque
29th January 2012, 06:23 AM
I think , Kiru is talking about GRAMTHU ADHYAYAM.

fantastic album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJyw_Iwg34

vaadadha rosappoo... gloomy flute and guitar for Bala's pathos!

Evergreen compositions!

WCM orchestration kammiyaa poyee apparamaa pick up aanadhu by 2000?

siraichaalai, poovarasan etc... around later 90s rt!

but.. you know better:)

S.P.B reduced noticeable.

thumburu
29th January 2012, 11:27 AM
Can't take my ears off of Anbu mugam thandha sugam. The way he finishes the anu-pallavi lines is sheer brilliance. :notworthy: Thanks a ton KV for putting me in bliss. Haunting interludes with violins:omg:. Solid guitar in second interlude. Raja's voice can only do justice for such a composition. Agilan sir has a lot of responsibility to get all these hidden treasures remastered and revealed.

நினைத்தால் போதும்
காதல் தந்த எண்ணங்கள்
வாட்டுதம்மா மனதை....
:musicsmile:

Not to forget the SJ solo, En Nenjam UnnOdu, again :omg:.

ivalo solli aasaiyai keLappittu paattu enge V_S saar? The uNique rythm during the pallavi of "en uLLam unnodu" still reverbs in my heart. seekram patta PODUNGo PLZ

V_S
29th January 2012, 11:45 AM
thumburu,
Here it is, but there is noise, I could not remove fully.
Full version of Sandhanamittu. Not great quality, but still very good. Killer guitar tracks. What a song!

http://www.mediafire.com/?wg46uek3j1sh50o

This (http://tamilxprez.blogspot.com/2009/08/rusi-kanda-poonai-1980.html) site has all songs full version except the Kanne Nee Enge, but noisier again. If you are interested.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00565&lang=en

app_engine
29th January 2012, 07:07 PM
Neehee's, Canton MI is a Gujarati veggie fastfood place and I stopped by last AN to get some "carry-out" (ofcourse, it does not have drive thru).

One orders / pays / gets a number and waits till called, to get the food.

There was this TV that showed Aussies' 2nd inn - hitting without restraint to increase the lead, not worrying about losing wickets etc - before declaring with a target of 500.

There was this audio system that kept playing some "routine" indhi song that was hitting my ears but not getting in.

Then suddenly something happened, the sounds from the audio stormed into my brains and matched some "stored patterns" there, raising goosebumps!

Unmistakable rAsA! How come rAsA sounds here in this totally unexpected place, in USA - in a northie cafe :roll:

Interesingly, it was not the prelude of the song but the first interlude (as I recognized later, it was some radio station playing and not a local music system)!

The song? My favourite "punch-bag" number :oops: yEh zindagi!

I felt like sitting in some TN-bus or some obscure tea-shop in a TN village!

sila nimida sorgam!

kiru
30th January 2012, 11:05 AM
I think , Kiru is talking about GRAMTHU ADHYAYAM.

WCM orchestration kammiyaa poyee apparamaa pick up aanadhu by 2000?

siraichaalai, poovarasan etc... around later 90s rt!

but.. you know better:)

Yes, maybe around that time-frame, I am not good with the dates, but I do see a pattern in the WCM usage. It is as though IR thought what he was doing was silly and cut down on using bits-and-pieces of WCM techniques and tried to do more holistic treatment - one good example would be enna solli pAduvatho - from en mana vaanil (2002). BTW, There are folks here who really know WCM. But I am the one who probably talks more (knowing little) - a arai kudam :-) .

Nerd
30th January 2012, 09:01 PM
Nerd,

What is your twitter handle?

S.Suresh
sagittarian82. But I am not active at all. Login once in a while to check for celebrity tweets. What is yours?

KV
30th January 2012, 11:27 PM
Mum was flipping channels and stopped at a Sivaji song. It had a killer flute lead playing with guitars and bass in the background. Not even for a second did I have a doubt that it could be someone other than the man. And indeed, it was him... neramidhu neramidhu (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3143'&lang=en) - Rishimoolam

tvsankar
31st January 2012, 02:14 AM
Mum was flipping channels and stopped at a Sivaji song. It had a killer flute lead playing with guitars and bass in the background. Not even for a second did I have a doubt that it could be someone other than the man. And indeed, it was him... neramidhu neramidhu (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3143'&lang=en) - Rishimoolam

Flute from Raja.. always amazing KV.. Rishimoolam padathil - Iyambadhilum asai varum..

idhil andharangam kidaiyadhama - TMS with Flute............ enna oru azhagana, gambeeramana oru swing..........

pl listen the flute portion.... epo kaetalum..uyiroda sethu poven.. very first la irundhae. paatai kaekave inum
uyiroda iruken. irupen..

Excellent and The Greatest Notes...... TMS ai follow pannum flute............... lovely

tvsankar
31st January 2012, 02:18 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00563&lang=en

3rd stanza - Flute...romba Great..........

Dheivathal uruvana bandham.... pasamana assuarance ana expressions of the Flute........... this is Raja.

ethanai time andaragam kidaiyadhama repeat analum.. bore adikadhu.. becoz of the FLute. am Big mad for this song......

baroque
31st January 2012, 02:27 AM
Seri Kiru,

ungalukkum konjam dhaan theriyum,:-D whatever little you know, you share with us. we like it.

anyway... around 2002 time, Raja did some indian classical albums like
IVAN, PONMEGALAI etc...

I remember, I got only cassettes during my India trips, I was very upset, couldn't find cds.

anyway...

simmendramadhyamam turns into ragmalika at the end with

ennai enna.....IVAN.....SudhaR sings for Ilayaraja, that's music break for me this afternoon!:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elkmXJYyQJs

Vinatha.

baroque
31st January 2012, 03:29 AM
paaramal paartha nenjam......mano & chithra.

jumpy composition, lilting flute, wonderful chorus humming with strings:happydance::bluejump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGQ8sKK2pZ8

that chorus humming postlude only to lure you back to the composition.:happydance:
vinatha

V_S
2nd February 2012, 08:56 AM
I love this 'therattipaal' sweet very much. This is one special sweet where my tongue never gets tired of eating. There are other sweets which die down quickly in their taste. This is one sweet which I cannot stop eating one or two. I need atleast a bowl. :wink: Fearing that, no one in my family brings that sweet to me or make that sweet much at home too. Neverthless I enjoy its taste in many Maestro's compositions. This is one of them which can beat all others too in sweetness. Just imagine if a little sweet can remain in our senses after long time since we had, how long this composition should remain in our heart? For a endless time period.

Just when prelude starts with bass guitar, flute and veena and Jayachandran starts singing 'Maa...an' (a pause) 'kidaavae...e nin nenjum orambetru', there itself we are lost and the sweetness lingers till the end. Anu-pallavi and the pallavi with improvisation which starts after that, you cannot stop rewinding this piece. Wonderful communication between guitar and flute in the interlude. We are very lucky to hear such wonderful music. Charanam tops them all. Sweetness beyond imagination. Second interlude is again a mood stealer with guitar and solo violin.

DEva paathangaLE thEdum theerthangaL naam...Aha what a line and how sweetly composed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToRKeabzuDE

If suppose Maestro asks my wish, what kind of song I would like him to compose, definitely I would choose this song. Simple tabla percussion with minimal orchestration. Just this tabla can surely beat any modern percussion instruments. The soul in this tabla could not be replaced by any other synth instruments. Please hear it to believe it. Great great singing by Jayachandran.:notworthy: No wonder he got offended with kolaveri di as a singing performance. A tune to die for. There is sweetness in every bit of this tune. There is unpredicability at every corner. Every bit of this tune and singing is enough for me to forget my favorite therattipaal.

http://www.malayalasangeetham.info/s.php?5580

venkkiram
2nd February 2012, 10:09 AM
"கங்கை ஆற்றில் நின்று கொண்டே" சுசிலா குரலில் ராஜாவின் மெலடி! மற்றுமொரு கிடார் புதையல்-பொக்கிஷம் எனலாம்.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNK9akd_Xu8

venkkiram
2nd February 2012, 05:38 PM
ஆரம்ப இசை உருவாக்கத்திற்கே சொத்தை எழுதி வைத்துவிடலாம். அதுக்கப்புறம் கேட்பதெல்லாம் போனஸ்!

சுசிலாவின் குரல் தரும் ஸ்வீட்டுக்கு ஈடு இணை இல்லை! தன்னோட சேர்ந்து பாடுவது ஒரு வித்தகி என்றாலும் ம.வாசுதேவனின் குரல் ஆளுமையை நினைக்கும்போது மெய்சிலிர்க்குது!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDh1DB8g-2M&feature=related

RR
2nd February 2012, 08:56 PM
V_S, count me in on taking bowls of therattuppal and never get tired of it :P As usual, a picturesque description that helps appreciate the song at another level. :clap:

venkkiram, cool two picks! Listening to them, for a moment, I forgot the theruttupal urge itself..

Sureshs65
2nd February 2012, 10:47 PM
V_S,

Lovely song that. Infact that song sound more 'Malayalam' than most of other Raja's Malayalam songs. The pallavi has a touch of Salilda. This movie also had another nice song 'arike arike'.

Venki,

Two lovely picks. The first one, 'gangai aatril' always reminds me of 'unni aaraariro' which A T Ummer tuned for 'Avalude Raavugal'. The beginning seems to have some similarities. Later it develops as a pure Raja song. The 'thennan keetrum' song is a favorite of mine. Mayamalavagowla, which is anyway Raja's 'soththu'. I have an Oriental CD which has songs with 'thendral' in the pallavi. Whoever did the selection is truly a connoisseur for sure.

Sureshs65
2nd February 2012, 10:50 PM
Nerd,

My twitter handle is Raaga_Suresh

skr
3rd February 2012, 12:03 AM
A really nice divine number rendered by Maestro in Hamsadhwani Ragam 'Anandha Kanden' from the Kannada Devotional album Honnina Therinali.
Dedicating this song to our Suresh who is celebrating his B'day today.
Wishing you a very Happy B'day :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6EqCfK95ew

venkkiram
3rd February 2012, 12:13 AM
Happy B'day Suresh!

My gift for you is a folk song of Raja from manvaasanai movie. "adi mookkiyara mookkamma"

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR1964%27&lang=en

Enjoy your day with this ever green Kuthu song!

tvsankar
3rd February 2012, 01:15 AM
oh. suresh ku happy birth day va. Happy Birth day Suresh.

Engae irundhai isaiyae - Ilaiyaraja version from Ajantha................. birth day song to Suresh.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00028&lang=en

KV
3rd February 2012, 01:19 AM
Ok , letting the cat out of the bag
Aivagai Malargale from Adhikaaram , a female solo by S Janaki with humming by ?
Its definitely an IR Song , thats for sure. From the orchestration ,im guessing it should have come around the period 79-81
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWZNYg9WfI

wow! wow! :bow: :bow:. What a rollercoaster tune and sparkling orchestration! I'm almost 99.99% sure this one's by IR... can't think of another composer who can throw in these many aspects in such 'precise' proportions! That's where is the unimitable Raaja stamp in this song. Like Suresh had said earlier today, MMG is one of Raaja's forte... and he's quite easily is the Raaja in this fort!
The male voice in the humming sounds like Ramesh (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/singer.php?SGRID=Ramesh&lang=en) to me.

KV
3rd February 2012, 01:28 AM
Sureshji, pirandha naal nalvaazhthukal! :smile:

ningalukku ende b'day parisu saarey!
Mizhiyil Meen pidanju
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIB3MbjO1A

tvsankar
3rd February 2012, 01:31 AM
KV.. Fb style il. like the link.........

KV
3rd February 2012, 01:39 AM
namma ellaam orE katchi aache ushakka! :)

V_Sji, venki, thanks a ton for the picks... haven't heard Maan kidaave and Thennankeetrum before. Beautiful :clap: Homework overload! Innikku naan thoongina maadhiri dhaan!

V_S
3rd February 2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks RR, skr, KV. From yesterday evening till today morning, I would listened to that song atleast 50 times. It was so endearing!
venkki, beautiful picks! Thanks. :smile:

Very Happy birthday Suresh ji! :D

venkkiram
4th February 2012, 12:31 AM
haven't heard Maan kidaave and Thennankeetrum before. Beautiful :clap: Homework overload!

இன்னாது! இப்போதான் கேக்கிறியளா! அப்போ மொதோ வாட்டி கேட்ட அனுபவம் எப்படி இருந்துச்சின்னு உங்க நடையிலேயே சொல்லிடுங்க!

app_engine
4th February 2012, 12:47 AM
'poobALam isaikkum poomakaL oorvalam' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3681'&lang=en) on repeat :musicsmile:

I think every song that had KJY-UR pair was a biggie...

Bala (Karthik)
4th February 2012, 12:50 AM
Belated birthday wishes Raaga_Devan Suresh

app_engine
4th February 2012, 01:05 AM
Not to be missed KJY-UR duets under Raja's baton :

boopALam isaikkum poomakaL oorvalam (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3681'&lang=en) (Movie : thooRal ninnu pOchchu)
AkAya veNNilAvE tharai meedhu vandhadhEnO (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0292'&lang=en) (Movie : arangERRa vELai)
AththAdee athisayam pArthAlE paravasam (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1901'&lang=en) (Movie: manaivi sollE mandhiram)
kaNmaNi nee varakkAththirundhEn (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3609'&lang=en) (Movie: thenRalE ennaiththodu)
kasthoori mAnE kalyANaththEnE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2974'&lang=en) (Movie : AVM-in pudhumaippeN)
kuyile kuyile konjum thamizhE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR2894'&lang=en) (Movie: pulan visAraNai)
nee pAthi nAn pAthi kaNNE (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR1663'&lang=en) (Movie : kELadi kaNmaNi)

Plum
4th February 2012, 07:23 AM
Belated puttina rOju subAkAnkshalu Sureshgaaru. My gift for you is manasA adagavA from shiva2006. As usual with multilanguage songs, telugu takes the cake. What sonorous words! avunu mari allari pedathuntE elA in Kuzhandhai's voice is just like an instrument playing not like a human singing...

Sureshs65
4th February 2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks RR, KV, Usha, skr, Bala, Venki and Plum for the wishes and for the songs recommended. I am touched. Will listen to all of them.

jaiganes
5th February 2012, 02:26 AM
belated porandha naaL vaathukkal (chi.. vaazhthukkaL).. Suresh saar.

kiru
5th February 2012, 03:28 AM
Belated B'day wishes Suresh. We love you here :-)

kiru
5th February 2012, 03:33 AM
'poobALam isaikkum poomakaL oorvalam' (http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3681'&lang=en) on repeat :musicsmile:

I think every song that had KJY-UR pair was a biggie...

Awesome..one of my all time favorites. just piano and bass guitar the first time pallavi is sung.

AravindMano
5th February 2012, 08:18 AM
Two of the songs that I kept visiting today - kAththirundhEn thaniyE (rAsA magan - http://t.co/1sed43KP ) & unnai edhirpArthEn (vanajA girijA - http://t.co/MeepKowK ). திவ்யம்!

venkkiram
5th February 2012, 10:23 AM
ஆண்டு 1989-ல் பாரிஸில் நடந்தேறிய ஒரு இசைக்கச்சேரியில் சுசிலாம்மா குரலில் "ராசாத்தி மனசுல.." பாடல்.. என்ன ஒரு சுருதி! என்ன ஒரு குரல்வளம்!

மோசமான ஒலிப்பதிவிலும் பீறிக்கொண்டு வெளியே வரும் கம்பீரக் குரல் அது!

from 12:22 till 17:11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5DOP-pkou0&feature=related

RR
5th February 2012, 11:19 AM
AravindMano,

I almost forgot 'kathirunthen thaniye', tks for reminding.. one of my favorite post-90's IR.

Sureshs65
5th February 2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks Jai and Kiru. Love you guys too.

San_K
5th February 2012, 05:36 PM
Female version of 'Malayala karaiyOram'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwp5DPo6itM

Romba naal aachu intha paattu kettu

AravindMano
5th February 2012, 11:39 PM
My pleasure, RR.

Sureshs65
6th February 2012, 11:57 AM
Listening to the 'Chinnavar' album. What a knockout album. Will post more details later in the evening.

Plum
6th February 2012, 01:28 PM
Chinnavar was a bonanza Suresh, then. Just went unappreciated - I absolutely dig the songs. Fun songs don't get any more fun than kadalora kavidhaiyE. The man just pulls his strings and gets every singer in the chorus to emote as he wants and creates the fun element. The lyrics play no part just content to remain in the background. This must be why individualistic lyricists hate him - he makes their job redundant :lol:.

Gregorysab
6th February 2012, 02:06 PM
I enjoyed listening to the telugu version of the song Vaanam Adhi Vaanam: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3471'&lang=en from Dhavani Kanavugal. Beautiful composition! Recently came across the telugu version sung by SPB and Susheela. lovely song! Cant point out at exact raagam.. so hence - Raajaraagam! Interludes are superbly constructed! Must have been a feast in the recording theatre!

raajarasigan
6th February 2012, 03:00 PM
Listening to the 'Chinnavar' album. What a knockout album. Will post more details later in the evening.:thumbsup: looking forward for your analysis on Andhiyile Vaanam..

RR
6th February 2012, 03:35 PM
aakarsh, it is in Gamanashrama (Hamsanandi parent). Charanams deviate a bit into neighbour ragas. Anyway.. a beautiful composition!

Gregorysab
6th February 2012, 03:50 PM
RR,

Thanks for that info. never knew that! and yes, a nice composition!

KV
6th February 2012, 05:16 PM
The benefit of re-visiting some lesser-heard album is that some songs can pleasantly surprise you!
Maarappu sEla.. lovely! :musicsmile: Crazy things happening in the interludes and some topnotch bass lines! I like the jumpy tabla+synth drums percussions as well.

skr
6th February 2012, 09:24 PM
Kv ji ,
Which movie is this Maarappu Sela song ?

Sunil_M88
6th February 2012, 09:29 PM
Don't know if this has been discussed before? It looks like Tumbi Vaa was already remade in Hindi before Gumm summ gumm

check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aur_Ek_Prem_Kahani

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJL9Z17P4YA

KV
6th February 2012, 09:32 PM
Kv ji ,
Which movie is this Maarappu Sela song ?

Chinnavar, the one which Suresh'd posted.
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00084&lang=en

KV
6th February 2012, 09:35 PM
Sunil, there are totally 6 or 7 versions of this song. Someone had listed it here before.
Here are the ones I remember:
thumbi va
sandhathil paadatha and another Thamizh rehash
aakasham (telugu)
sunday ko (AEPK)
gum sum gum
mood kaapi

Sunil_M88
6th February 2012, 09:41 PM
Thanks KV

wow :shock: mood kaapi :bow:

stream the live in italy album here - http://www.musicindiaonline.com/album/104-Tamil_Pop/30049-Ilaiyaraaja_s_Music_Journey_-_Live_In_Italy/#/album/104-Tamil_Pop/30049-Ilaiyaraaja_s_Music_Journey_-_Live_In_Italy/

Three in one :musicsmile:

Sureshs65
6th February 2012, 11:09 PM
Hearing Chinnavar album for the last two days. I bought it recently (Aditya music have released this along with 'Senthamizh Paatu' and 'Pandithurai') An album worth having.

I have heard 'andhiyile vaanam' (who hasnt ;) ) earlier but the other songs I was not too familiar with. The album is a strange one if I may say so. The director seems to have told Raja that there is only one situation for all songs and he wanted similar type of songs. All songs are duets, all of them very rhythmic, not melodic. Almost as if in every song the hero and heroine are teasing each other. No solo, no melodious romantcic song, no teasing song, no sad song. All songs must be the same!!! That's how I see these songs. And the genius that is Raja gives so much variety in such a constricted situation.

'andhiyile vaanam' is well known. Excellent rhythm makes it instantly catchy. 'Gunutur Gongoora' is superb. Didn't think Raja would use this ragam for such a song. Which ragam is this? Head to the other thread to find out :D . Next comes the song that Plum spoke about 'Kadalora Kavidhaiye'. If it hasn't already got into the freakout Raja thread, it needs to go there pronto. It is as if the fisherfolks are singing a western choir song!!! I laughed out loud when I heard this song. No one is more subversive than this man and no one is more iconoclastic than him. How can you mix and mash such different genres and yet come out with such lovely song!! Next comes the Mayamalavagowla stunner, 'kottumkali kottu'. This is a stunner. When I wrote on twitter that I was listening to 'Chinnavar', @kanapraba immediately replied with this song saying that one one else other than Raja can dream of this. Next is the song which KV alluded to earlier, 'maarapu chelai'. As KV says the instrumentation is very interesting. Especially the synth + tabla part for percussion and the mild chorus in the background. Then come two super energetic numbers, both featuring Malaysia, 'padagottum pattamma' and 'uttalangirigiri maama'.

Who could have thought so much variety can be given when all song situations seem to be same!!! Listen to the full album here:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00084&lang=en

Sureshs65
6th February 2012, 11:25 PM
aakarsh, it is in Gamanashrama (Hamsanandi parent). Charanams deviate a bit into neighbour ragas. Anyway.. a beautiful composition!

You sure it is Gamanasrama. Generally in Gamansrama you hear a lot of 'Poorvi Kalyani'. Here I hear more of Panthuvarali / Kamavardhini (especially in the pallavi). Ofcourse the charanams deviate from the raga.

San_K
7th February 2012, 01:21 AM
nice review Sureshji on Chinnavar songs.

If Chinnavar can make it, why not Oru Oorla Oru Raajakumari, Kattumarakkaaran, Veetla Vishenga & Nandavana Theru. We are hugry Suresh, KV, V_S , a_e, etc sirs :)

skr
7th February 2012, 01:49 AM
Wow nice to see so much response to Chinnavar.
Should soon listen to the album.

skr
7th February 2012, 01:50 AM
Mareyadiru Sneha - A composition by GKV with guitar played by our Thalaivar.
Notice the guitar strummings , it takes you straight to Devan Thiruchabhai Malargale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwWILy5C1NI

app_engine
7th February 2012, 02:17 AM
a_e, etc

sandhadichchAkkula namma pEraiyum izhuththutteengaLE sir :shock:

nAn eppO revee ezhudheerukkEN :confused:

pAththiram aRindhu pichchai pOdungaL aiyyA :-)

app_engine
7th February 2012, 02:20 AM
BTW, for the last few days I'm not able to move out of 'thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOthu' in the car.

Somebody please rescue me!

V_Sji, why not feature this number as the next in your IR-sung-duets thread and help me escape the spell?

baroque
7th February 2012, 02:37 AM
ராஜா , நீங்க killing me with your waltz charanams:musicsmile:

my heart simply melt listening to this composition!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ZHYIyDkwY

மாலைகள் நேரம் மாறிட வேண்டாம் மாங்குயிலே மாங்குயிலே
காலங்கள் கூட மாறிட வேண்டாம் கண்மணியே கண்மணியே
சூரியன் மேற்கினில் சென்றிடட்டும் சந்திரன் அங்கே வந்திடட்டும்
மேகங்கள் வானத்தில் நிலை பெறட்டும் கடலினில் கூட அலை நிற்கட்டும்
உன்னோடு சேரும் ஒரு நேரமே என்றென்றும் இங்கே நிலையாகட்டும்....
பூங்காற்று தாலாட்டும் அன்பே அன்பே .....

ராஜா நீங்கதான் ரொம்ப ரொம்ப ரொம்ப ரொம்ப romantic !
80s ilayaraja!

vinatha.

V_S
7th February 2012, 03:43 AM
San_K, App, Sure, we will do it. :D Currently working on ThOppiloru Naadagam Nadakkuthu and YEriyile elanathamaram. Even here Raja's voice only comes in the beginning, so not sure if these two will fit into IR duets. If not, we can start on Thendral vanthu theendum pOthu and other film songs mentioned by San_K. I also remember either Sunil or raag_kann already wrote about Thendral vanthu song, need to check again.

Plum
7th February 2012, 08:46 AM
Suresh - actually, not all songs are hero-heroine duets. Only andhyile, maarappu and kottukali are. Padagottum pattamma is a disco shanti-prabhu item song ostensibly one of those street performances impromptu in meenavarkuppam during thiruvizhaa. Same with guntooru ghongura. And hear this - kadalora kavidhaiye is for gounder-senthil-sarala :)

Sureshs65
7th February 2012, 10:11 AM
Plum,

OK. I haven't seen the movie. I could guess that 'kadalor kavidhaiye' would be a comedy number. What I had meant was most of the duets we in the almost 'kuthu' range :). For a lack of a better phrase.

Plum
7th February 2012, 11:07 AM
Yes, that's true. Keep in mind it is a meenavar kuppam story. Not that Angai Gamaran bothered about authenticity and all in his "taking" of the movie.

RR
7th February 2012, 12:19 PM
You sure it is Gamanasrama. Generally in Gamansrama you hear a lot of 'Poorvi Kalyani'. Here I hear more of Panthuvarali / Kamavardhini (especially in the pallavi). Ofcourse the charanams deviate from the raga.
Quite clear, suresh. Filmy Gamanasrama shows a lot of hamsanandi in it, if you listen to it a bit more carefully.. Pantuvarali resemblance is natural as only dhaivatham is different. But here we see more hamsanandi.

BTW, good review of chinnavar songs.

Divine22
7th February 2012, 02:14 PM
Suresh - actually, not all songs are hero-heroine duets. Only andhyile, maarappu and kottukali are. Padagottum pattamma is a disco shanti-prabhu item song ostensibly one of those street performances impromptu in meenavarkuppam during thiruvizhaa. Same with guntooru ghongura. And hear this - kadalora kavidhaiye is for gounder-senthil-sarala :)

Kadalora kavithaiye ~ Hilarious song,,, with GM-Senthil & Sarala with their colorful clothes and rib tickling dance movements. i Love the GM-Senthil-Sarala portions from the movie vr much, than the movie itself. Typical story,nothing interesting other than the songs & comedy portions.

Famous Piyaa-piyaa (senthil as kadal creature) :D :D

Sureshs65
8th February 2012, 12:48 AM
After a long gap, two songs of 'Thandavakone'. 'kaatu vazhi' what a lovely start and the outstanding atmosphere that he builds. The pallavi so beautifully structured to reach the cresendo at 'sambho siva siva'. And then 'neeraal udal kazhuvi'. This is a knock out song. Hats off to Manika Vinayakam. Not an easy song to sing at all. And the ambiance created is unparalleled. Heard it on repeat mode. I don't mind if the other songs are not so great or the usual Raja songs, these two songs are more than worth the cost of the album.

Gregorysab
8th February 2012, 12:23 PM
Suresh,

I loved Kaatu Vazhi.

Coming to what I am listening now: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR3187'&lang=en

Mazhai Megham by Asha Bhonsle. A very serene composition. Raaja never goes wrong with Bhageshree (for that matter any raagam). A lovely composition that spells tranquility, on the same lines as "Aamani Paadave Haayigaa"(geethanjali). I wish Raaja gave more songs to Asha Bhonsle than what he actually gave. Ofcourse he does like her voice! In this song, every note, every line, every phrase is just right, as if it is ought to be so. Sit back with this song after a day's work in office, it has such a relaxing effect, thanks to both, the raagam as well as his gentle treatment. It is songs like these that make me marvel at his genius in melody. If you notice, this song does not have any "earth shattering" musical ideas, such as Pani Vizhum Malarvanam. It is very simple. but extremely heart-touching melody. Nothing experimental (not that I am complaining). but just evocative as it should be... like the melodious music of 50s/60s. Raaja!!! you are... :notworthy:

Sureshs65
8th February 2012, 08:17 PM
Kamal,

I know it is one of your favorite numbers. You have stated that here a couple of times :) Lovely melody.

Revisited 'Uliyin Osai' today. What an album. Loved all the songs. Remember writing lengthy posts on it. Today's listening has given me the idea for the next raga post. Can you guess what raga I could be posting?

Sunil_M88
8th February 2012, 08:54 PM
Devulle Mechindhi :musicsmile: (Read at your own leisure)

I don’t think anyone here, has extensively written about this number. When SRR released, I was so hooked onto “Jagadhananda Karaka” that all other tracks equally became secondary excluding “Devulle Mechindhi” which was following “Jagadhananda Karaka” very closely.
Some background reading:

SRR is an album I still haven’t finished listening too, 16 whooping tracks and all tracks that I have heard, individually have the potential to overtake many albums released last year. With the recent discussions in the forum over quality, this and *apologies to bring them here* 180, VSV and Rockstar are certainly the best sound engineered OSTs of 2011. SRR, was my Telugu pick of 2011 (Even though I haven’t finished the album :lol: ) followed by Anaganaga Oka Dheerudu. However, there was also the “Ela ela” song from Panjaa which made me highly impressed. Therefore, it can rightfully be said both father and to an extent son reigned over the Telugu film music last year.

I believe SRR is certainly blessed as it has an assortment of veteran singers, offers mammoth melodies which are not only present in the whole album but in individual tracks too. Raaja saab packs a life time supply of melodies, instruments and other additional variations in standalone single tracks here.
I’ve already expressed my feeling towards “Jagadhananda Karaka” –

http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8028-Maestro-Ilaiyaraja-New-Albums-2011-Hello-Jaihind-Sri-Rama Rajyam&p=726836&viewfull=1#post726836

I still standby what I wrote, but if you scroll down the link, you will read V_S sir quoting the maestro, “...that a song is loved/liked by you is because of a simple reason that it is already inside you.”

I’ll give my two cents here:

The above quote is definitely set in stone! I’ve been wanting to write about “Devulle Mechindhi” since Monday now (since then, this song hasn’t stopped ringing in my head). Whenever I sit down to write I usually play the subjected song but in this case when I play this my mind goes blank and I just end up listening to the song for hours without typing a letter :lol: Yes, I think I’ve discovered you can’t review certain songs and listen to them in that moment.

I found I’ve easily expressed my views over other songs but here I was totally lost. It’s just whenever I hear this song, I want to continue hearing it again and again and coming back to the quote, this may be because the song is already in my system furthermore it was probably embedded in my soul before I heard it, hence I simply cannot ignore it. E.g. as a born baby one feels safe next to his/her mother as they’ve spent nine months in her. I feel purified when I hear this composition. I’m not going to dwell on the intricacies of the composition because the devil lies in the detail. Although I want to write praises and praises over here, this composition somehow has soulfully disabled me from going into a length analysis.

The point I do want to raise, although I can’t express it, is the factor that keeps me replaying the song is the second and third charanam.

“Sivadhanuvu adigo… Nava vadhuvu idigo…
Raghu ramuni tejam abyam adigi adigo….
Sundara vadanam chusina maduram nagu momuna veligey vijayam adigi adigo…
Dhanuvuni lepey mohana rupam.. Pela Pela dvani lo premaku rupam..
Pumala ayyi kadiley a swayamvara vaduvey….

Ne nedaga saguninka janaki ani… Seethanu vasigey janakudu sriramamurthi ki…
A sprasha ki alapincheY amrutha ragameY…. Ramanukitha maYAhrudaYAm kaligeY seethe key…

Sree karam manoharam idi vedani PriYA bandhamani
Aajana bahudu jatha kudey a vani jatha
Anandha ragamey tanayugrina seetha…..”

The part highlighted especially the last two lines are arguably the best portion of any Raaja song I’ve heard recently or ever!

jaiganes
8th February 2012, 09:07 PM
http://www.muzigle.com/track/yuva-kranthiya-1
Was listening to thaavi thaavi from dhoni and then i was reminded of this track from shiva sainya a 1996 kannada movie..
The movie has a lot of synth based blues - hip hop songs..
I personally like the cheerful/eery - jailalli hutti and Raajyakke yuvaraaja.
However this song is special - When i first heard it, I was left with mighty disappointment - this tune and arrangements and the chorus singing with all their life had everything going for it to be the "manidha manidha" of kananda cinema - yet the synth spoiled it as the majestic flood of violins was replaced by meek submissive prants of the synth. However the "feel" of the song seeps through the lack of majesty in the aural experience over time and now I appreciate it as a masterpiece in its own right.. Sad that I didnt see raaga or any other site have this song.. I have it on a CD I bought 6 years ago.. looking for quality mp3 in itunes..

V_S
8th February 2012, 09:21 PM
Sunil,
Great write-up on Devulle mechindi!. I am telling you, this one is a soundtrack of a lifetime. Not just in recent years, or one of the best kind of soundtrack. This is THE best. I am doubtful we can hear such a soundtrack from Maestro again. How did he come up with these awesome tunes, no one can imagine. If I start listening to it, it will atleast take a week to come out of it. I have written about few songs earlier. As you expressed it, we cannot express the feeling in words. No soundtrack can come close to this. We should be blessed to hear such soundtrack!

V_S
8th February 2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks jaiganes for reminding about shiva sainya. Will listen to it tonight. Dhoni is a winner all the way, but still tight-lipped till I get my CD.

app_engine
8th February 2012, 09:36 PM
Finally came out of 'thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOthu' on the car, with the help of 'ninnukkOri varNam' which on repeat now :-)

What a drum work!

Sunil_M88
8th February 2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks V_S +1 on the album, as funny as it sounds yesterday night when sleeping/trying to sleep the 3rd charanam was playing in my head. I don't believe in magic as I think it's all cleverly done but here I'm totally in awe and seriously don't know whats pulling the strings of my heart, when hearing/not hearing this.

skr
8th February 2012, 10:05 PM
Sunil , Thanks for the write up on Devulle Mechindi
SRR is such a stunning album , 2011 was such a brilliant musical year for IR.
V_S , i understand how much you love SRR. I guess it was the longest trance you ever encountered.

Jai ji ,
Enna Paattu idhu , its just outstanding
Something and all is happening :musicsmile:
Its funny listening to people saying that IR's 90's musical output is weak.

App ,
I saw a status on Thendral Vandhu on FB.
Half way through this song, in a state of trance, I turned around to see my entire family standing in different corners of my room, captivated by the tune & intruding my privacy with utmost innocence. Only a Raja song can bind 3 generations like this.

skr
8th February 2012, 10:11 PM
Right now hooked on to Endrum Vaanaveliyil Isaikum from Kelviyum Naane Badhilum Naane.
Beautiful Music just happens :)
Think it will be hard to come out of this one and Shiva Sainya soon , but no complaints. Im just loving it. :musicsmile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clx2JlZxws4

skr
8th February 2012, 10:33 PM
I shared this Sivasainya song to my friend and she immediately said it reminded her of Magalir Mattum Title song.
After listening , i too feel the same . Both outstanding compositions in their own right.
Thanks to this man , my entire lifetime is secure with good music.
http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR0200%27&lang=en

V_S
9th February 2012, 12:11 AM
skr,
Thanks for the Endrum Vaana VeLiyil video. Never watched it. But all the songs in this film are timeless classics. I have written about this last year. Here (http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8572-Raja-s-Gems-the-latest-one-you-heard-Part-3&p=637400&viewfull=1#post637400) it is.

Regarding SRR, yes that one was the only new soundtrack I listened to the longest time after its release. It has a special place. :D

Plum
9th February 2012, 05:36 AM
Ah! Sri Rama Rajyam - I have still not moved on, either. Sunil, usually your posts I see as dry, technical and out of my appreciation(and that shouldn't matter to you either). It takes the maestro's masterpiece to wring deep emotion and profound passion in your posts. I am well justified with clear proof in this case - only Raja possible :). And unlike V_S, time stopped with SRR for me. Yet to move on. Dhoni, Clarke, Pattinson, Mayilu, Kuyilu et al can wait another few months :)

Plum
9th February 2012, 05:41 AM
To put my post in perspective, look at the last part of Sunil's post. All he has done is quoted the lyric of the song and bold-ed one portion - but as you read through and the lines play in your head, don't you feel the emotion he must have felt while typing it? I do. It's like telepathy or something - I can exactl feel the goosebump and emotion that moved him to simply type the lyric and expect that we'll feel his emotion. It's all sub-conscious but I bet if sunil looks back at his emotional state while typing it, he can identify this phenomenon :)

V_S
9th February 2012, 06:24 AM
Plum, I can understand, how much you too love SRR. Well said, we can feel how much Sunil would have felt when he was writing that. Another plus you have is that you have watched the film. I cannot forgive myself for that. Everyday when coming from office, I am asking if DVD has come. To my luck it is not available yet. SRR is again playing in background as I type this. Unlike I expressed earlier, I cannot pick the best one, every song has its own beauty. Other film songs (especially new ones), after few round of listens, it asks for a break, but not SRR, don't know why. It is always within me. The other soundtrack which I had the same feeling is Bhagyadevatha.

RR
9th February 2012, 09:59 AM
Finally came out of 'thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOthu' on the car, with the help of 'ninnukkOri varNam' which on repeat now :-)

:D I like the melody in 'ninnukkori' a lot. I think I heard it on radio first and instantly liked it. The orchestration - notably the drumwork - was kind of new and interesting, and in flow with the overall song. Can put this on repeat just for the prelude..!

Sureshs65
9th February 2012, 11:26 AM
V_S/Sunil/Plum,

And from the same song Raja extracts that 'sreekaram manoharam' phrase for the BGM. Sheer genius work there.

Sureshs65
9th February 2012, 11:48 AM
Jai,

Superb song from Shiva Sainya.

I written about this aspect (making a revolutionary song using synth) earlier. I think this is one of Raja's great experimentation. I think people don't looks at these songs that way because of the initial feeling you spoke about. That the song would be better off with the real instruments and without the synth. But once you remove that block you can clearly see what Raja has done with synth is nothing short of extraordinary in such cases. I claim that Raja has a much better hang on synth based on his Malayalam work and works in such revolutionary genres.

Two other songs which will support this thesis of mine are 'ulagame manidhanai' from Ivan. Excellent piece of work with synth being used extensively. The other one where I thought he achieved perfection in this regard was, 'rama rajyam' from 'Gayam 2'. The melodies pushed this song behind but it is a number which I was fascinated with and wrote about it in Gayam 2 review.

Here is the link to the 'Ivan' song. Excellent chorus, drumming ensuring high energy. And what an outstanding tune he has imagined. The tune itself carries so much energy with it.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR1255%27&lang=en

Here is the link to the 'Gayam 2' song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VTnCIfPmy8

What surprises me in this song is the drumming. In the pallavi it is almost jazz like complex rhythm. In the charanam it is free flowing instead of being menacing !! Yet the song achieves the intended effect.

Sunil_M88
9th February 2012, 05:58 PM
Plum

Where you develop an emotion for a song, there's no need to worry about technicalities gone into making that song. Just because I more often than not dwell on the technical aspects, doesn't mean I don't find a bond with a song beyond that. Where necessary I do keep my posts simple for people unfamiliar with sound design etc. I try an balance my posts, however in this case, nothing could sum up how I felt therefore it's only necessary that I quoted the lyrics. I'm glad you felt the same as me when hearing that part, what more could one ask for if the end result is music connecting people through emotion or as you rightly said telepathy.

V_S - Will certainly give Bhagyadevatha a listen.

skr
9th February 2012, 06:20 PM
V_S
Nice write up on Kelviyum Naane Badhilum Naane.
This is a recent find for me and am now just so addicted to Endrum Vaanaveliyil
Freeflowing music at its surreal best.
You said it has the bestest guitar after Ilaya Nila. I agree :)
I would also rate Bul Bul Maine guitar to be on par with these two.

Suresh ,
Yet again Gaayam 2 , what a song what an album.
His revolutionary songs give you such a hard hitting impact.
I get that feeling also listening to Aruna Kirana from Guru.

Plum
9th February 2012, 06:47 PM
Sunil - I just mentioned that as a measure of my ignorance. I didn't mean that your posts are boring or anything - I mean, there are people who'd love the technicalities you painstakingly explain so absolutely no complaints from my side. Just that I connect to music more emotionally(ofcourse with a fuzzy but strong ear for quality music) and I connect to posts that express either the emotion of the music or the emotional state of the listener. In this case, the fact that Raja moved someone like you to completely abandon your technical style and surrender with an emotional post - I found that quite a vindication of my own image of Raja. You've got to surrender to his magic and abandon even your abundant knowledge in the evaluation process, don't you? That magic is what I was highlighting

skr
9th February 2012, 06:50 PM
Just blown to bits after listening to this rip roaring stunner.
Kick ass drumming , bass dhamaka , High octane SPB , impactful chorus , racy effects. :bow:
Listen in to beleive. Dont miss this gargantuan crackerjack of a song. :musicsmile:
Musical awesomeness loaded all over.

Oru Nayagan - Thavani Kanavugal
http://thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR3469%27&lang=en

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
9th February 2012, 07:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Clx2JlZxws4

Nice song. but why does the piano sounds so thick?

jaiganes
9th February 2012, 11:15 PM
Was listening to the gindhi song from nandu.. "Kaise Kahoon".
Interesting to know that it was written by PBS.
Why is it interesting? because the pallavi is a slight lift(inspiration) from second portion of charanam of TMS-PBS melody from padithaal mattum podhumaa "pon ondru kanden".
"thuLLi varum veLLi nilA " beautifully morphs into "Kaise kahoon" the way the molodic structure has been passed like a baton in a relay race from this song to the song Raaja tuned.. beautiful I must say.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
9th February 2012, 11:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKAaQcNwNOs

Author's explanation: Guitar Madness by one and only Maestro Ilaiyaraaja, scored for an unreleased/obscure movie. Deepan and Sasirekha sang their heart out, their best. This is what is called fusion. You can neither say it is darbari kaanada nor it is a rock classic, because it is both. It deviates the most from both these two forms, yet stays very close to them with strict grammar. Still don't know how many more forms (perspectives) can be derived out this composition. That's why this movie is aptly titled 'Ethanai KOnam Ethanai Paarvai'. Hear it to believe it!

:clap: esecially 2nd interlude, outtaworld!

Saai
10th February 2012, 12:52 AM
"En mana vaanil" from Kaasi

whaatasong ...2 days on loop marathon..

skr
10th February 2012, 08:28 AM
SKV ,
I was in a continous loop listening to Vidhaitha Vidai and Endrum Vaanaveliyil Maathi maathi for over an hour.
Unexplainable feeling

V_S
10th February 2012, 08:41 AM
V_Sji thank you for vidhaiththa vidhai. Discoverd this one six months ago thanks to the twitter Raja kweez and fellow hubbers. Been a regular on my playlist ever since. Can you pls. share the mp3?
How did I miss this post? Very Sorry Nerd. Just now saw your post. Here is the link (http://www.mediafire.com/?bza2gtbdua8czx1). Quality is not that great, but listenable.

skv, adhu adiyEnthaan. :smile:

skr
10th February 2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks a ton for V_S for this stupendous addictive song Vidhaitha Vidai.
Quality is great.

Can you also upload Vaa Vaa Naalukku Naal ?
Im not very technologically sound , will i get the same quality if i directly download the audio from youtube ?

V_S
10th February 2012, 09:27 AM
skr,
Thanks. I too don't know if we will get the same quality, But Vaa NaaLukku NaaL is here (http://www.mediafire.com/?g444g9ongak3vn8).

Gregorysab
10th February 2012, 10:18 AM
I hereby confer the status of "Gem" to the latest composition - Vilayaatta Padagotty from Dhoni. Yes, it is not experimental like the SPB song, but it is the song that is steeped in the melody of a unique kind, which you would want to listen to, after a chaotic day!

And though I do not know if hariharan's tamil diction was good or not (since I dont know tamil), i can say that his rendition was moving, sincere and superb! It is definitely among the best in the Raaja+hariharan combination!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
10th February 2012, 05:52 PM
Nerd, I always do this to take songs/audio from youtube

1. www.vidtomp3.com

2. www.youtubetomp3.com

VS, i saw that the user has uploaded only 2 songs, and thought "yaaro theevira IR fan pola" but never thought someone from hub! world becoming small place or mayyam has almost ALL the geat fans :D

V_S
10th February 2012, 08:54 PM
Thanks skv. I will try to upload more rare songs on youtube, as and when I get to atleast a good listenable quality.

app_engine
10th February 2012, 09:05 PM
aNi is one of the most interesting aspects of Thamizh poems. That way, when film songs have some application of this, it decorates them pleasantly and makes the listening a nice experience.

I don't know what is the exact English equivalent term for 'il poruL uvamai aNi' (http://venbaaeluthalaamvaanga.blogspot.com/2008/10/26.html) of Thamizh. (similie / metaphor is a generic term but what is the term for non-existent thing? Interestingly, for uyarvu naviRchi aNi, we have the English term 'hyperbole' but I can't get quickly for the use of non-existent thing as simile).

While the blog link above has thirukkuraL examples, I happened to listen to two such cases this morning from film songs.

One from the thangamagan song is very familiar - 'rAthiriyil pooththirukkum thAmarai' (lotus is supposedly a morning poovu). Lovely, lovely song...especially the 'sangathi' in the last syllable of each word (in both pallavi and saraNam lines) is so enjoyable. raththiriy-i-lll, pooththirukk-u-mmm, thAmaraith-a-nnn, veeNaiyen-u-mmm, mEniyi-l-e-e, thandhiyina-i-i...rAsA would have given the "curve" on the notation for each of those syllables :-)

The second from kELadi kaNmanI is not so familiar (at least I've not paid attention before), though in a hit song, as it occurs in the middle of the saraNam :

'iruttil kooda irukkum nizhal nAn' :thumbsup: (Where is nizhal when there's no veLichcham?)

Very interesting song, who is the pAdal Asiriyar?

(BTW, wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keladi_Kanmani)says the famous song 'maNNil indhakkAdhal inRi' of this movie was sung by ARR :shock:...let me quote :

ARR sang the song Mannil indha kaadhal

:wink:

V_S
10th February 2012, 09:26 PM
Superb post App. :clap: 'aNi' ellaam marnanthe pocchu. 'il poruL uvamai aNi'. The meaning is in the phrase itself, but everything I forgot. Very good to know from your post. This should also be a great topic to discuss (if not in this thread, a new one) to glorify our lyricists. These songs can also be created as playlist titled 'il PoruL Uvamai aNi' Paadalgal. Please bring us more.

jaiganes
10th February 2012, 09:58 PM
I hereby confer the status of "Gem" to the latest composition - Vilayaatta Padagotty from Dhoni. Yes, it is not experimental like the SPB song, but it is the song that is steeped in the melody of a unique kind, which you would want to listen to, after a chaotic day!

And though I do not know if hariharan's tamil diction was good or not (since I dont know tamil), i can say that his rendition was moving, sincere and superb! It is definitely among the best in the Raaja+hariharan combination!
True delight this song is..
heard the song on the dhoni audio launch and the guy sathyan too has sung nicely...
This is a straight cut rabindra sangeet song. along the likes of "Ganga aaye kahaan se" from cabuliwallah.
KVM and MSV have done their share with "Odam nadhiyile" in the past.
Recently Raja has done two and both have been on the mark.
The previous one along this line was "Onnukkonnu" from nandalaala.
Stepping out of thamizh, Raaja has tuned a melodious lori "Aliyaage" from chal chalein which to my ears is a lot sweeter than this one. yet, this song is
more complex and deserves the "gem" status..

venkkiram
10th February 2012, 10:17 PM
Aakarsh and Jai.. Nicely put. vilaiyaatta padakotti is one gem of the composition from IR and Hariharan's soulful rendition elevates to different world. Wish IR-Hariharan pair continues to happen. In the recent Jaya TV concert, IR mentioned one Telugu song of Hariharan which came up really well. Any idea which song it is? May be for a unreleased project I guess.

Sureshs65
11th February 2012, 02:50 PM
Venki,

Telugu means it could be the Sai Baba song.

V_S
12th February 2012, 01:07 PM
Bass and lead Guitar with Phaser, Violin Tremolos, Violin gushes, solo Violin, High Adrenaline Horns, Acoustic drums, Piano runs, all combined with a soothing melody for Anbin Mugavari with Legendary Voices of S P Balasubramaniam and P Susheela. I have amplified little bit and added bass boost. Please let me know if this is ok. I am listening to this one continuously, especially for the violin tremolos, trumpets, violins and some killer guitar tracks and piano runs. The bass lines of this quality can only unleashed by his genius. Compositions like these are never born again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFpXE3gLtQ

Sureshs65
12th February 2012, 04:01 PM
V_S,

Fantastic song. I think I have this CD with me. Need to check and play again!!. Superb. Hats off to you for loading such lovely melodies.

skr
12th February 2012, 04:19 PM
V_S
Absolutely breathtaking song. What an absolute scorcher :bow:
Thank you so much for uploading.

Really liked your write up of the song
6th Century Renaissance Composer Claudio Monteverdi invented Tremolo. Violin Concerto works have written since Baroque period, the pioneer being Johann Sebastian Bach. Guitar and Piano has defined the music and evolved right from 16th century till today. Jazz started in 20th century. Louis Armstrong is very famous in playing horns for Jazz compositions.
If you want to hear all of the above in a single composition? My Maestro has got it.
Bass and lead Guitar, Violin Tremolos, Violin concerto for a Solo Violin, High adrenaline Horns, Acoustic drums, Piano runs, all combined with a soothing melody for an Indian movie with Legendary Voices of S P Balasubramaniam and P Susheela.
Welcome to the Beautiful World of Maestro Ilaiyaraaja!

V_S
12th February 2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks Suresh ji and skr :D Yes, I am so much delighted as much you are. How Maestro travels from 16th century to 21 century in no time. I also missed mentioning about the flute which comes for few seconds in the prelude. It is a stunner. Compositions like this are never reborn.

Here (http://www.mediafire.com/?ho1bqi3klqiotuv) is the link to audio version, if you like the quality.

jaiganes
13th February 2012, 02:25 AM
stupendous song this.
If one carefully listens "All things western " can be found in this one song as V_S and skr have mentioned.
I mean, WCM, Jazz, Slight trace of soft rock when the electric guitar mildly makes its presence felt.
It is incredible..
One thing is for sure. whoever is taking up the job of classification and creating a catalogue for raaja's music is a brave soul...

V_S
13th February 2012, 07:18 AM
Yes Jai. Most important, how he traverses from one genre to another in no time in this song. Yes, as you observed, there is rock element also in it. Glad you like it. :smile: Well said on classification! I know, it is an impossible task to classify his music, mainly because many genres, raagas, concepts overlap in the same song, and the result is the same song appearing under many categories.

Gregorysab
13th February 2012, 02:43 PM
Vintage Raaja - Blast from the past!

The song itself begins like a blast.. with guitars on phasers and jazztrap kit going frenzy along with trumpets! Who would guess that the song would eventually land up in a Bhageshree raaga! the song is Then Kulathile kulikavaa: http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0908'&lang=en I came across this song in 2004 or 2005 and it blew my mind. The song has hyper energy.. with instruments just racing across each other. The interludes, with all the intricate bass lines forming the undercurrent to the electric guitars and trumpets... mind boggling. The tabla player might have had tough time. Raaja is clearly inspired by Rock music genre perhaps, in this song. The 2nd interlude says it all. The whole song, though conforming to bhageshree, actually sounds so rebellious, in the arrangements. This is perhaps one of his "Rock" songs, within the confines of light classical mould. Janaki's rendition too is good!

A song, that really deserves a remastering today. This song is so ideal for fusion music instrumentalists - particularly for those who seek to mix rock and indian classical. The rocking quotient, in this song, is infact, a notch more than in a Pani Vizhum Malar Vanam.

Gregorysab
13th February 2012, 02:49 PM
V_S

Is it possible for you to share your amplified version of that song Pon Vaanile? I liked it!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
13th February 2012, 05:40 PM
V_S! Wow what a song that "Pon Vaanile" i guess we can call it Western Music Jugalbandhi fusion! Thanks man! Expecting many gems from you!

V_S
13th February 2012, 08:27 PM
aakarsh & skv,
Thanks a lot. :smile: Yes, it is really a rare gem like Kohinoor.

Here (http://www.mediafire.com/?ho1bqi3klqiotuv) is the link to audio version, if you like the quality.

Gregorysab
13th February 2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks a lot :-)

Sureshs65
13th February 2012, 09:39 PM
Listening to Malayalam Raja. 'nadaswaram kaetto' from 'Ponmudipuzhayorathu'. What an underrated and not oft heard song. Fantastic orchestration.

Was listening to 'Cheeni Kum' and 'Kannukkul Nilavu' on a long drive yesterday. "Cheeni Kum' especially made me think what is all this hulla about synthesizer. All three songs are as good as the originals!!

V_S
13th February 2012, 10:53 PM
Great pick Suresh ji from Ponmudipuzhayorathu! One of my malayalam favorites.
Cheeni Kum as you rightly pointed out, it will not sound like a rehash at all. Regarding synthesizer, as everyone felt, may be the recording at Bombay made a big difference on its effect.

baroque
14th February 2012, 04:35 AM
V_S:ty:

what a gift, you are very generous, thanks a lot.

Pon vaaniley..... what a gem! I am enjoying with your post.

Purity of Raja's music is peerless!:musicsmile:

Vinatha.

V_S
14th February 2012, 06:02 AM
Thanks a lot vinatha. :D You came up with a great one-liner, "Purity of Raja's music is peerless", you said it all.

skr
14th February 2012, 10:26 PM
Maestro's honey dripping humming with wonderful Bass backing, sweet flute backed up by Keyboard chords and Guitar strumming followed by Guitar Broken Chords , Counterpoint between Bass and Flute and then between Bass and Guitar :musicsmile:
Ultimate Pattaya Kelappyfying !! :clap: :clap:
Pularips O Pularips !!
Thalaiva ............:bow: :bow:
http://youtu.be/D_ZWHDXbcyg

skr
14th February 2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks to kv for introducing this mindblowing BGM piece to me.

San_K
15th February 2012, 12:03 AM
Wov superb, intha paatta videola parkkalaiyE appdingura kavalai konjam theernthathu . Hair raising experience in ludes ofcourse in every bit of this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRxwyuKPj3c&feature=related

app_engine
15th February 2012, 12:17 AM
'uRavukaL thodarkadhai' on repeat in the car!

What a lovely voice, the young KJY! What simple but sweet orchestration by rAsA (my favourite kind of drum sounds). He has used some kind of electronic organ like strings in the first interlude and it's so lovely to listen to. Obviously, piano & flute are the backbone of this song which take us back to those days instantly! Great bass score as well :-)

V_S
15th February 2012, 06:12 AM
Thanks a lot skr for this amazing piece of music.:clap: The starting bass guitar with Maestro's casual humming is of course pullarips O pllarips!:notworthy: The theme from 'Un Vaazhve' is so sweet to listen in instrumentals, (but I somehow don't listen to that song frequently because of Sadhana Sargam's voice, not a big fan of her voice and singing). Guitar (with flute and violins) play from 1:15 -1:52 is absolutely terrific. :notworthy: The way he structured the title theme is way beyond imagination!

Nerd
15th February 2012, 10:18 PM
This thukkamenna thuyaramenna from Mayilu is straight from the 80s.

Minus the brilliant singers we had and the *very* imaginative ludes. Superb song this nevertheless :clap:

Sureshs65
16th February 2012, 01:31 AM
Courtesy twitter, this amazing melody. Not often heard. My first time listen:

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR0725%27&lang=en

Sureshs65
16th February 2012, 01:32 AM

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th February 2012, 02:58 AM
thanks Suresh! Wow whatta melody :D intha paya sathya ivLo nalla songs irunthum use paNNikka mudiyalai :lol:

Raja was seemingly in murattu experintation + nice melodies. Ninnu aadirukkaar!

My pick is the last song Vatta Nilave. First 3 songs nice but Karthik Raja kaivaNNam irukkaapla thoNuthu. Fouth one is not so good.

V_S
16th February 2012, 07:11 AM
Suresh ji,
Beautiful pick again! Please listen to other songs in case you have not, Indiran SundariyE and On Unnaale.

skv, Are you referring to ILayavan songs? I got confused with En Arugil Nee Irunthaal.

Nerd,
Thukkamenna Thuyaramenna is a kind of song where it follows Maestro's usual template of late 80's as you said, but we cannot escape from that song, just with a single listen, it asks for a mandatory rewinds. Because these are the kind of sweet tunes we grew up listening to. Reeta and Sriram does a fabulous job in bringing the mood and did not disappoint.

jaiganes
16th February 2012, 07:21 AM

the starting guitar backed by piano is so "nee paartha paarvaikku". is this hindolam?

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
16th February 2012, 07:56 AM
skv, Are you referring to ILayavan songs? I got confused with En Arugil Nee Irunthaal.

V_S sorry i was talking about Ilayavan songs which Suresh posted in twitter. Soon when i came here i thot he posted same link. my bad!

here it is - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00188&lang=en

V_S
16th February 2012, 08:38 AM
skv,
No Problem at all. Thanks for the link. ILayavan has some great songs! Vatta nilave and en jeevanin are too good melodies.

Sureshs65
16th February 2012, 08:32 PM
Today's discovery in twitter. As I wrote there, this can only be composed by a person who has an excellent grasp on TamilNadu folks. What changes.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0039'&lang=en

Sureshs65
16th February 2012, 08:41 PM
Jai,

Some problem with thiraipaadal for me. Unable to play the song. Will listen to it soon and let you know.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
17th February 2012, 07:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRjcE41ojPU&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUjiaOEhcSk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjjdZl5r5d4

Gregorysab
17th February 2012, 11:31 AM
V_S sorry i was talking about Ilayavan songs which Suresh posted in twitter. Soon when i came here i thot he posted same link. my bad!

here it is - http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00188&lang=en

Good songs.. but the usage of off-the-shelf loops is surprisingly more in this film. Almost in every song! surprised that even Raaja went the usual way, in such magnitude!

irir123
18th February 2012, 12:24 AM
the pre-1987 IR title score for "Enakkul Oruvan" - fond memories from this 1984 film - it was around this time, many theatres in chennai had installed bass boosters and subwoofers which highlighted the basslines of IR's scores even in the BGMs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0JJQJ2i0rs&feature=related

apart from the tinny sounding MSV era/style strings usage at the beginning, one can hear some very acoustic drumming and brass usage!

IR ran riot with the title scores for movies like this and 'Kakki chattai', 'athisaya piravi' etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wh40zCqaUdc&feature=related

it was post 'nayagan' that IR mellowed down and his title scores became more streamlined and nuanced!

Plum
18th February 2012, 07:37 AM
Irir - the inflexion point in terms of streamlining bgm for me is Mani's previous film - Mouna Ragam.

baroque
18th February 2012, 08:24 AM
Could not snap out of the magical music this evening......:musicsmile:

காதல் ஓவியம் பாடும் காவியம்.......அலைகள் ஓய்வதில்லை....இளையராஜா's bass
guitar counterpoint to chorus ஆலாப் ,வீணா, flowing வயோலின், ஸ்லோகா & church bells .
3 decades + early இளையராஜா's masterpiece rules the world !:smokesmirk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGSB9xXEae8&feature=player_embedded

V_S
18th February 2012, 08:56 AM
Plum, Listening to adi aatha now. Thanks :smile: Wow! wonderful rhythm and bass guitars for a kuthu song and what a melody for a kuthu song. I love Raja's voice during 70's.

Plum
18th February 2012, 07:04 PM
Mahendra Singh and Peacock - Vilayaata Padagotti is good - Surprisingly, Hariharan version is better than kuzhandhai's. Hariharanai srongA kadivALam pottu pAda vechurukkAr and it suits the song perfectly.
Peacock - Thukkamenna as observed by everyone is a nice throwback to the Ramarajan times - IR Tamil Folk v2.0 as app would call it. That is all the take away. (Maybe I am also becoming a Modern Trend Mahadevan :( )

Plum
18th February 2012, 07:34 PM
On the other hand, ThandavakOnE :meisilirppu: - yes, I yAm late pickup only.

Plum
18th February 2012, 07:59 PM
V_S - um kodai vAzhga! um koRRAm vAzhga!

Plum
18th February 2012, 08:13 PM
V_S - andha aivagai malargaL audio rip paNNi thara mudiyumA?

V_S
18th February 2012, 08:26 PM
Plum,
Sure, here (http://www.mediafire.com/?an2ndaf690h841m) you go. But all the credit to skr who uploaded the video and introduced the song to us. Fantastic song!

V_S
19th February 2012, 06:18 AM
Can you please guess the movie? (http://www.mediafire.com/?rqwvxkfl7d962eo) :smile: Also would like to know from you, how is the audio quality?

venkkiram
19th February 2012, 06:41 AM
Can you please guess the movie? (http://www.mediafire.com/?rqwvxkfl7d962eo) :smile: Also would like to know from you, how is the audio quality? Is it from pithaamagan V_S sir? Audio Quality is too good!

AravindMano
19th February 2012, 06:58 AM
V_S sir, audio quality is fantastic.

venkkiram - definitely no, too cheerful to be Pithamagan ;)

venkkiram
19th February 2012, 07:15 AM
ரெண்டு நாளா விக்கியின் வலைமனையில் ராஜாவின் பொக்கிஷ புதையல்களை தோண்டிப் பார்த்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறேன். இதுபோன்ற ஆழமான, அகலமான விமர்சனங்களுக்கு, ஆய்விற்கு முனைவர் பட்டம் கொடுத்துவிடலாம். ராஜாவின் ஒலித்தரத்தை மெனக்கெட்டு மேம்படுத்தியிருக்கிறார் ஒரு பதிவில் (http://raagadevan.blogspot.com/2010/10/humungousaur.html). ராஜாவின் இசைப் பாடல்களை இந்த ஒலித்தரத்தில் நான் கேட்டதேயில்லை.ஆளை அசத்தும் மல்லியே மல்லியே பாடலை கேட்டுப்பாருங்கள். BASS அராஜகம்! அவர் பதிவு செய்திருக்கும் துனுக்குச் செய்திகளை(உதாரணத்திற்கு: இது ஒரு நிலாக்காலம் பாடல் ஒரே முயற்சியில் வெளிக்கொணரப்பட்டதாம்..) மீண்டும் மீண்டும் படித்து வியந்து போகிறேன்.

V_S
19th February 2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks vennki & Aravind for listening. It is not Pithamagan, newer than Pithamagan. :wink: I will post the video of this BGM tomorrow. (sorry about that) :smile: This BGM has very minimal instruments, mainly flute (I think that too synth?), yet the impact Maestro creates is huge.

BTW, Vicky's blog is anytime read. His depth of analysis and the way he puts is very interesting to read.

Plum
19th February 2012, 07:34 PM
V_S - Thanks a lot for the quick repsonse! I know I can ask you to teach me fishing instead of demanding fish every time but as the teakadai guy in Karagattakaran says "thambi evLO periya AttakAraru avaru kaiyAlA 10 paisa vAngi adhula podi pOdaRa sugamE thani" :) - hence, I am giving you more homework. The following stuff unga kaiyAla audio mAththi thara mudiyumA?

vandhaale allippoo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_-KwWylNuM&feature=player_embedded
Saavira janma - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y0dN_lISZQ&feature=player_embedded
Endrum Vaanveliyil - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Clx2JlZxws4
Pooththu Nikkudhu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RG0O9hW35E&feature=player_embedded
Mullum Malarum Theme
nenjukkul poo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiWYsiycIY&feature=player_embedded
Priyane Uyir neeye - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xD6c84bT3E&feature=player_embedded

Plum
19th February 2012, 07:35 PM
Mullum Malarum - I will update the Video link shortly.

Plum
19th February 2012, 08:32 PM
Ok, Thaavi Thaavi gets a promotion, too.

Plum
19th February 2012, 09:01 PM

+1. I mean if it could make me say that Hariharan version is better than Shreya kozhandhai's, then it must be a gem. I dont tolerate Hariharan for anything less than a gem.

Sureshs65
19th February 2012, 10:45 PM
Plum,

Hariharan, total damage :)

Listening to 'Dilwale Raat Hai jawan'. I think it was Kamal Aakarsh in his raagas guise who wrote here (or on twitter) that this song was atleast 20 yrs ahead of its time. Fantastic rhythm provided both by the drums and the bass. You can sing the song with either of them providing the rhythm (each one is different). Added to it some wonderful trumpets / sax etc. Overall a lovely effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fltlN87GaiY

V_S
19th February 2012, 10:48 PM
Yes, I agree too Hariharan has sung beautifully, except he/Maestro could have concentrated on his diction. 11/12 times he faultered saying 'ViLayaattu' as 'Vilayaattu' which is the only sore point in the whole song. On the other hand, Shreya has got correctly 11/12 times the exact word. :smile: For a singer of his calibre and experience, this matters I think.

V_S
19th February 2012, 10:53 PM
Plum,
Here is your copy (http://www.mediafire.com/?2bu77wm823qlj). Since you have asked, there are some sites like video2mp3.net where you can copy/paste the youtube link in the space provided and click 'Covert' which will convert to mp3. No need to download any software on your pc for this. Hope this helps. I am always ready to do for Maestro and fans.

V_S
19th February 2012, 11:10 PM
Superb song Suresh ji! Listening after a long time. Wonderful piece of music! Thanks to you and aakarsh.

Here is my answer to the question I posted yesterday. I watched his movie yesterday. A memorable film. The palakkad locations are enough to watch the film. Mohalal, Sheela stole the limelight. Dense trees, lush greens, warm houses and great people. I will post some excellent BGMs in few days. I was mesmerized by Maestro's BGM. Lot of scope for Maestro in this film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y80FcWGqRbA&feature=youtu.be

Sureshs65
20th February 2012, 12:00 AM
V_S,

I just downloaded that clip, heard it and was about to type 'Snehaveedu' when I see your answer :( Honestly I have not watched that film going the sound I thought it must belong to this movie. Anyway thanks for the clip.

V_S
20th February 2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks Suresh ji. Sorry about that, may be I posted too early. Good to know that you found it already!. What's unique about this piece is, Maestro has not used any of this song themes in the titles. Very minimalistic score.

Sunil_M88
20th February 2012, 06:00 AM
Happy Maha Shivratri

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AH-b-dHr2B8

Bring on the bhang lol jokes apart... Wish you lot all the best :)

V_S
21st February 2012, 08:30 AM
Plum,
I have added two more files (savari and vandhaLE) to the same link here (http://www.mediafire.com/?2bu77wm823qlj). Savari audio quality is not that good (as the video has disturbances), please bear with me. Still hunting for a good quality. But that's a beautiful song in one of the rarest raagams.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
21st February 2012, 09:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY4plQfW8gI&feature=related

Querida
22nd February 2012, 04:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBDNTKcyrU

Don't know if some other hubber has already shared this, but this is the video to "Vandhale Allipoo" I always wondered why the beginning had that half tambourine sound, now I know it is from an earlier dance part....another unexpected part is the pause/break in song...anyways the picturisation hasn't IMO taken away from the song, and for that I am glad about, especially for such a treasure of a song.

baroque
22nd February 2012, 09:33 AM
tabla ilayaraja's sriranjani masterpiece, Janu's solo VANDHADHU VANDHADHU...KILI PECHU KETKKA VAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFsB_txSPpE

Rasa pattu bhodhaiyil , how I drove & reached home tonight nnu theriyalai... ennavo oru paraparappu, ullaasam.... sappaa...
Rasa, Paada paduthureenga neenga!

vinatha

Plum
22nd February 2012, 09:36 AM
V_S - nandri nandri nandri. Ofocurse, SKV gave the conversion links earlier. But as I said "unga kaiyAla patthtu paisA vAngi adhula podi pOdaRa sugamE thani" :-)

baroque
22nd February 2012, 11:55 AM
Rasa, you are killing me tonight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4B-w-sioCE&feature=related

every song is a gem in agni natchathiram, wow, what a masterpiece by Yesudas & Raja, prelude set the mood with piano, violin & guitar rhythm! dazzling music- sivaranjani.

vinatha.

V_S
22nd February 2012, 08:36 PM
:lol:

Plum, You are most welcome. :smile: I got reminded of my grandfather and his 'podi dabba' (he used to have some good brand). Our relatives and his friends used to have weekend chats with him with main intention to have his brand of pod. Can't forget those himalayan sneezes!. Great fun!

app_engine
22nd February 2012, 10:34 PM
***controversy alert!!!!
SJ "worshipers" requested to skip this post ***

My recent 'custom made' CD has both thenRal vandhu theeNdum pOthu & mounamAna nEram and there seems to be a minor issue with SJ's singing of 'kiLi' (parrot).

We know KJY initially had a problem of singing the La of 'kiLi' slightly thinner, like how they say it in Malayalam, and often got criticized (poovizhi vAsalil yAradi vandhadhu kiLiyE kiLiyE)...

SJ seems to have a problem with kiLi as well, but in the opposite direction, that is, making the La thicker - almost like zha. In both 'kuLikkum Or kiLi' (mounamAna nEram) & 'kiLiyE kiLiyinamE' (thenRal vandhu), she almost sounds like 'kizhi' :oops:

Among my fav singers, some of those who never had any issue whatsoever with La, IMHO, are TMS / PS / SPB / MV :-)

The most difficult word to pronounce / sing, IMHO, is தொழிலாளி -'thozhilALi' - (has all the three of them and a real tongue-twister :sweat: )

venkkiram
22nd February 2012, 10:46 PM
Among my fav singers, some of those who never had any issue whatsoever with La, IMHO, are TMS / PS / SPB / MV :-)
SPB too in many songs appears to me "ழ்" in the places of "ள்"

eg : Please spend some time in hearing this non-IR song mentioned here http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8964-Song-of-the-Open-Road-%28Latest-song-heard-Part-9%29&p=813419#post813419

In most of end lines of saranam, I am hearing "ழ்" in the places of "ள்". Please confirm my ears functionality.

app_engine
22nd February 2012, 10:58 PM
In the last couple of years I've developed a habit - whenever feeling a little drowsy while driving, force myself to start "counting the beats" of the songs to decide the cyclic pattern - and it seemed to help a lot in freshening up the mind, at least for a while, until a spot can be found to take a 10 minute nap.

Well, last night I had to do that and the songs were :

poongAviyam, pEsum Oviyam
(KJY/PS/KSC sweet, 'ende sooryappuththirikku' aka 'kaRpoora mullai', the Srividya / Amala starrer by Fazil)
...pretty obvious that this follows the 3 beat cycle and may easily qualify for the 'waltz / jazz waltz' discussion based on Vicky's solvanam article. The most interesting thing is the 'ching-chAw' sound in saraNams at every 6th count (1-and-2-and-3-and "tish" - 1-and-2-and-3-and "tish" ).

thEdum kaN pArvai thavikka
(SPB/SJ beauty by MSV-IR, MTK)
...sounds like another 'waltz / jazz waltz' and the interludes very sincerely follow this while also having some terrific string sections, interesting to see that Vicky picked 'dhil dhil dhil dhil manadhil' from the same movie for his discussion

senthAzham poovil vandhAdum thenRal en meedhu mOdhudhammA
(KJY in terrific form here for Kavingar's lines, muLLum malarum)
...my deciphering is "standard 4 beat cycle"

isai vallunarkaL (Sureshji, skv, V_Sji, RR sir, KV, Akarsh) please correct me if I'm wrong on these!

app_engine
23rd February 2012, 12:37 AM
eg : Please spend some time in hearing this non-IR song mentioned here http://www.mayyam.com/talk/showthread.php?8964-Song-of-the-Open-Road-(Latest-song-heard-Part-9)&p=813419#post813419

In most of end lines of saranam, I am hearing "ழ்" in the places of "ள்". Please confirm my ears functionality.

Venkkiram,
No youtube in workplace, I'll check this out after reaching home :-)

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
23rd February 2012, 05:24 AM
The most difficult word to pronounce / sing, IMHO, is தொழிலாளி -'thozhilALi' - (has all the three of them and a real tongue-twister :sweat: )

use this image to teach anybody how to spell tamil words

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2456/tamilspell.jpg

app_engine
23rd February 2012, 09:24 PM
In most of end lines of saranam, I am hearing "ழ்" in the places of "ள்".

கேட்டாச்சு, கேட்டாச்சு!

'வழ், வழ்'ன்னு அப்பப்போ எனக்கும் கேட்குது :-)

Good catch!

Nerd
24th February 2012, 07:17 PM
While channel surfing stumbled upon this beauty. The volume was very low but I could hear ShreyaG. KeerO/KeerOyini were unsahikkable so I was like indha padaththukkellaam ShreyaG-yaa? Increased the volume and listened to the brilliant 2nd interlude (flute/violins/cello). I was like whoa, who is this composer, this is so 'Raaja'. Confusion was because I was thinking I would not have missed at least a ShreyaG number under Raaja. And it was Raaja indeed who picked up when the 2nd interlude ended.

So it is still Raaja who could come up with highly imaginative ludes :-) And later realized that its Yaarum Thodaatha from Ajantha. I have read about this song in the forum but did not have the enthusiasm to listen to it thinking I won't like it. How wrong was I! Been listening to it ever since.

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs='SNGIRR0146'&lang=en

V_S
24th February 2012, 08:55 PM
Great pick Nerd. Ajantha's every song is a gem, infact it has become a rare gem as the movie did not see the light. Yaarum thodaatha ondrai is definitely my pick too along with Manjari's 'thoorigai Indri'. I even love Malayalam version of the songs.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
25th February 2012, 01:47 AM
Also that unni krishnan song! Great album this is :D

fellows ithai ellaam kekka maattaanga. kekkaamaleye, raja's current music is so 90'ish nnu uLaruvaanga :evil:

crvenky
25th February 2012, 12:32 PM
Another raga based gem from Maestro: This one on brother-sister bonding.

Saavira Jenumagalu from Nyaya Gedhithu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y0dN_lISZQ

Comment from somebody:

tuned in Mallika Vasantham Ragam S G3 M1 P N3 S  | S N3 D1 P M1 G3 R1 S. Janya of Mayamalavagowlai. This raga never used before or after in cinema. Song has traces of Kedharam, shankarabharanam in arohanam and avarohanam

V_S
25th February 2012, 10:45 PM
venky,
Please read this brilliant article by Raj for Saavira JanumaghaLu. May be the raagam information in youtube is based on this article.
http://rajamanjari.blogspot.com/2011/08/ilaiyaraaja-muti-hued-musician.html

baroque
26th February 2012, 09:44 AM
this has been a very tired Saturday. We had to go out, whole day on our feet,
ரொம்ப tired ஆ இருக்கு ராசா...
energize me , I am all yours !:swinghead:

PEERLESS 80S ILAYARAJA!
ஆகாய கங்கை .....
stunning early Ilayaraja's treasure மத்யமாவதி

sexy ஜானு 's ஆலாப் with honey soaked வாசு , scintillating வயோலின்

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7MXxA8RYBg

V_S
26th February 2012, 11:23 AM
Shreya Ghoshal singing 'surmai akhiyon mein' along with Shri K J Yesudas celebrating KJY's 50 years in the industry. Wonderful rendition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Zcjyn01Rw

venkkiram
26th February 2012, 11:41 AM
Wonderful rendition! +100. Lovely & Lively performance from 2 legends on an immortal composition of Raja!

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
26th February 2012, 12:26 PM
Did u guys see, they kept an iPad in place of lyrics sheet!

V_S
26th February 2012, 08:59 PM
Yes yes saw that sir! Andha iPad'a hold pandrathukkaagave oru (adjustable) stand vEra.:smile:

baroque
26th February 2012, 11:58 PM
Woke up with hamsadhwani rag aalap of flute instrumental this gorgeous sunny Sunday morning.
எங்க சந்து டீ கடை blast இளையராஜா songs.
மலர்களே நாதஸ்வரங்கள்- malargale naadhaswarangal.....one of my favorite , early இளையராஜா masterpiece , ஹம்சத்வனி ராக்.
ஜானு's ஹம்மிங், பாட்டுக்கு பாட்டு, வாசு's honey soaked குரல்,:happydance:

I am blessed to grow up with the ultimate musician ever walked on this planet!:musicsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS-UY1wa4wk

Is this a fantastic visual for the eternal bliss or what!
கருவிழி உறங்காமல் கனவுகள் அரங்கேற இளமை நதிகள் இரண்டும் இணையட்டுமே...
ஜானும்மா is stunning .
மன்மதன் திருகோயில் அதில் காதல் பூஜை......
joy has no bounds when வாசு joins with ஜானு 's ஆலாப்.:-D
It's always you, Ilayaraja!
vinatha

baroque
28th February 2012, 10:11 AM
வெயில் நாளும் சுடுமென் தேகம் கெடுமென
ஜன்னல் திரையிடும் மேகம்
இரு காதல் விழிகளில் வீசும் ஒளிகளில்
பிறையும் பௌர்ணமி ஆகும்...

sizzling hit from ஸ்ரீ .இளையராஜா & ஸ்ரீ .வைரமுத்து & ஸ்ரீ .பாலா !:smokesmirk:

What an orchestration, bass guitar, acoustic guitar, violin, flute, Lover boy in his amazing form, கவிஞர் in his கவர்ச்சி mood!:redjump::bluejump::redjump:

ஈர இரவில் நூறு கனவு
பேதை விழியில் போதை நினைவு

பன்னீரில் இளந்தேகம் நீராடும்
பனிப்பூக்கள் உனைக்கண்டு தேனூறும்

நீ ஆடை அணிகலன் சூடும் அறைகளில்
ரோஜா மல்லிகை வாசம்
முக வேர்வைத் துளியது போகும் வரையிலும்
தென்றல் கவரிகள் வீசும்

நெஞ்சோரம் தள்ளாடும் முத்தாரம் எந்நாளும்...... கவிஞர் வைரமுத்து!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXpq7zoUnLY

that's Raja pattu for me tonight!

energy flies high for me tonight!

vinatha.

kiru
28th February 2012, 11:43 AM
Was listening to Santana/Black Magic woman.. bass guitar driven rhythm.. my thoughts .. indian music is monophonic .. european music is polyphonic and has harmony .. is our music inferior ? The same IR who uses a 50 or 100 piece orchestra also does music with minimal instruments.. why does he not always add a harmony layer and big orchestras.. ok, the movie situation warrants it or maybe you can still enjoy indian music whatever the harmony is playing in parallel for a brief moments shows up as gamakams in an indian music (my theory). Just like a not so music-savvy european can ignore the harmony and enjoy the main tune so does an indian enjoy the tune while sometimes ignoring the gamakams.
Along with this, indian rhythm instruments seem to be more multi-faceted - urumi and the way the 'bayan' is played with the tabla set. They dont seem to need a bass guitar backing. With this as context, listen to 'ejamAn kAladi' and nilavE mugam kAttu from ejaman.
The whole movie is a festival of indian tunes.

Plum
28th February 2012, 01:02 PM
Kiru, I had just mentioned ejamaan as my fav rajini album post 90s. You are right - it is a celebration. AVM avlo avarukkedhirA kaai nagarthiyum, avanga thirumba vandhappo vanjanai illaama vazhangi irukkaar.I also believe RVU had to insist on IR to AVM for this movie

kiru
1st March 2012, 08:26 AM
In terms of sound engineering and effects, I think, thanikkAttu rAja is a milestone. It has very good transparent recording (there is some clipping) and effects like reverb/pan are used in many songs. The songs themselves use a variety of rhythms. mullai arumbE - mridhangam, sandana kARRE - drums and other songs many native drums. rAsaVe unnai naan - eNNi thaan has a style of recording which Rahman prefers.
Of these, I like the serious - rasAvE unnai naan and the funny .. naan thaanda ippO devadas - this song is really cool in lyrics :-) . Not sure you guys like it :-) I think songs like this helped rajini get a cool/carefree dude image.
(@Plum - I am sure AVM founder had really good artistic ambitions.. his heirs are running it like a corporation looking for cheap part suppliers )

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
1st March 2012, 09:47 AM
http://www.thiraipaadal.com/tpplayer.asp?sngs=%27SNGIRR0545%27&lang=en :superb: :cool:

baroque
1st March 2012, 12:55 PM
vaanam thodatha... Ultimate piano prelude from Ilayaraja!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ9iv-x-hqM&feature=player_embedded

cool ilayaraja !

oh .. nenjame idhu un raagame .......Deepan with Janu!:musicsmile:

gushing violin, steady guitar strumming, jillendra janu!

PEERLESS 80S ILAYARAJA!

குளிர்ச்சியா, ஜில்லென்ற பாடல் எப்படித்தான் ராஜாக்கு just like that தோணுதோ!

ராஜாதான் பயங்கர romantic !:swinghead:
vinatha.

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
1st March 2012, 05:12 PM
Today i listened 5 gems,was what i posted and two are the ones baroque posted,

other 2 are posted by suresh65 in twitter
- http://urstelugustudio.blogspot.in/2012/02/padutha-theeyaga-feb-27th-episode-2.html
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osYOrLa9cM

feeling too ecstatic! unable to write in words, athaiyum thaandi arputhamaanathu!

Nerd
1st March 2012, 08:39 PM
First time for me. Uma Ramanan I think. Terrific song. Dhaagam edukkiRa nEram from Enakkaaga Kaaththiru
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO8woga3R-0

app_engine
1st March 2012, 08:54 PM
First time for me.

First time on video or in every sense? This was a regular on radio those days...

Yes, Uma Ramanan...the director of the movie was camera man Nivas (who did camera for the first 5 movies of BR & directed kallukkuL eeram under BR's mERpArvai)...

Nerd
1st March 2012, 09:11 PM
First time listening also :oops: I have O Nenjame in one of my playlists...

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
1st March 2012, 11:19 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3118037683331&set=a.2803555101463.133709.1636182321&type=3&theater

rajkumarc
2nd March 2012, 02:41 AM
Nerd - Checkout other songs in Enakkaaga Kaathiru. All are lovely, especially the one sung by IR "Ooty Malai Kaatile". Pani Mazhai Vizhum by Deepan and SPS is also a beauty. Absolutely stunning and unique imagery painted in all the songs in this album.

baroque
2nd March 2012, 06:18 AM
Nerd

Glad, you are visiting ENAKKAGA KATHIRU from early 80s, from my school years.:thumbsup:

Nostalgic early Ilayaraja! Raja delivers hillside flute orchestration for the female solo.

Uma's female solo you have mentioned is rag (hindustani-megh/carnatic-madhyamavathi)

Wanna alaap of the rag, indulge THULLI THULLI NEE PAADAMMA......Bala for Kamal.:musicsmile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tLYhiSVLv0

nostalgic 80s ilayaraja!

Kavingar Vairamuthu with S.P.B & Janu for Ilayaraja!

yeah... again PANI MAZHAI VIZHUM.....IS BEAUTIFUL COMPOSITION, VAIRAMUTHU'S LYRICS GOOD TOO.

We are very blessed!:)

vinatha.

jaiganes
2nd March 2012, 09:21 AM
sampling over old CD pile in the car, came across "Madhu" a Jithan Ramesh starrer.
Probably only myself and hulkster have the CDs of this movie.
Was simply swept away by the following songs.
1. Indha ulagil naan
2. nilavai sutri
3. kaetkavillayaa

The interludes, preludes ellaame awesom tuning..
only complaint i have in "nilavai suttri" is the length of sangadhis was far too short -giving the feeling of "abruptness" or "broken".
http://thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00325&lang=en
The breathlessness one experiences trying to sing "indha ulagil" charanams and "kaetkavillaya" charanams has to be sung to
be beleived.

Querida
2nd March 2012, 12:02 PM
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0osYOrLa9cM

Here I was wondering that it has been too long since I sat back in wonder of Raaja's music
and was yearning for that chance once again
Thank you...first time hearing this song...will come to it again and again...

Nerd
3rd March 2012, 01:00 AM
Thanks rajkumarc/baroque for the details and recommendations :-)

Sureshs65
5th March 2012, 11:37 AM
Whenever I play the 'En Manavaanil' tape in my car, it remains there for days together. I don't know why but I like this whole album. Every song is enjoyable. I don't feel like forwarding any song and neither do I want to stop listening to this tape. This is surprising because it will be difficult to rate this album along with Raja's best, yet it gives me so much pleasure!!! 'enna solli' and 'unnai thedi' are examples of how modern songs should sound like!! If Raja gives something like this for NEVP I will be fully satisfied!!! :D

http://www.thiraipaadal.com/album.php?ALBID=ALBIRR00136&lang=en

San_K
5th March 2012, 03:27 PM
Saw some scenes of Nizhalgal in TV. The BGMS for (initial scenes) Nizhalgal ravi and his lover is superb and it reminds me A.R.Rahman's sugam sugam song prelude. Anybody in same boat?

Sureshs65
6th March 2012, 11:35 PM
An absolute gem from the movie 'Agni Paarvai' which I am hearing for the first time. Kalyani based outstanding melody which was posted in twitter by @rozavasanth

http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=264471

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
9th March 2012, 12:23 AM
இந்த பாட்டெல்லாம் கேட்டோம் என்பதே மறந்துபோச்! என்ன ஒரு நாஸ்டால்ஜியா! http://bit.ly/zFBejr #ஹையாஜாலிஜாலி thanks for https://twitter.com/#!/kweezzz the Raja quiz guy :)

What a modern blend :clap:

Gregorysab
10th March 2012, 11:17 AM
guys.. any iTunes users out here? go to iTunes radio and go to international genre there. There is a radio station called A9Radio. whenever i click it, it plays Ilaiyaraaja songs. I dont know if it is a coincidence or if it is a Raaja-music radio. But whatever, try and enjoy the potpurrie playlist there. All good songs!

Sureshs65
10th March 2012, 04:21 PM
Yesterday night on twitter we played a #SwingingRaja playlist. This was based on suggestion from multiple people. Here is the list for your enjoyment:

http://t.co/yCu9Qyyu

http://t.co/d031ZGn5

sakaLAKALAKAlaa Vallavar
11th March 2012, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PxU5_cMgwo

venkkiram
11th March 2012, 11:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PxU5_cMgwoஇந்த நடிகர் (பெயர் தெரியவில்லை) சில படங்களிலும், சென்னைத் தொலைக்காட்சியில் எண்பதுகளில் இடம்பெற்ற சில நாடகங்களிலும் அற்புதமான நடிப்பை வெளிப்படுத்தியவர். ஒரு படம் (பெயர் தெரியவில்லை) ராஜ்/விஜய் சானலில் பார்த்த ஞாபகம். மனநிலை சரியில்லாதவராக நடித்திருப்பார். அதைப் பார்த்ததிலிருந்து, மனநிலை சரியில்லாத தமிழ்த் திரையுலக பாத்திரங்களில் முதலிடத்தில் இன்னும் இவர்தான் இருந்து வருகிறார்.

balaji
12th March 2012, 02:28 AM
Chakravathy?

Did he also not act in "Rishi Moolam" as Sivaji/Viajya's son?

Bala

baroque
12th March 2012, 04:55 AM
http://tamil-songs-online.blogspot.com/2010/09/bala-kanaka-maya-salangai-oli.html

bala kanakamaya......ragam ATANA....Composer Thayagaraja:musicsmile:

:redjump:Dance extraordinaire with Legend of music Ilayaraja employs Queen of playback singing Janaki in Salangai oli!

vinatha.

V_S
12th March 2012, 08:32 AM
These are the songs I grew up listening to. How about Vani Jayaram for a club song this time instead of S Janaki and Gangai Amaran singing for Kamal instead of Malaysia Vasudevan? :wink: The movie was a blockbuster and song was very famous that time. There is spooky mood to the song especially in the interludes, as the crime investigation going on during the song.

With all elements; horns, electric guitar, acoustic drums, husky voice and singing, delectable choirs defining this club song, how about a stranger called 'urumi' for this song. Please hear the first interlude end portion and whole of second interlude with urumi coming in as percussion instead of usual drums providing a perfect backdrop for trumpets and electric guitar.

Only Maestro can think of all possible ways from the improbable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvmtUFNKut4

There is video for this song in youtube, but the song is not in full, abrubly cut off during the second interlude which is where the song's real strength is. I uploaded this audio version in youtube.

HQ mp3 version here (http://www.mediafire.com/?ruye7ys5kswt3iz)

skr
12th March 2012, 04:34 PM
This number has been fascinating me for quite a while now.
Everything about this number is just a delight and should be celebrated for eons to come.

1) The tumbling sound of the vessels which is musically ryhthmical.
2) The guitar strumming the notes Ga Ma with the Tu Ru Ru humming in the side by the one and only S Janaki to be joined by the Bass moving Sa Pa Sa downward across octaves.
3) Gangai Amaran opening up and boy has he ever sounded so romantic. (Gangai Illa Mangai chorus adding the perfect harmony)
4) The first interlude with the triple counterpoint between violins , violins (I think) and flute is just more than enough for a lifetime.
5) The Guitar vamping and the Guitar counterpoint with the keys in the 2nd interlude , didn’t I just say the 1st interlude was more than enough - but he doesn’t listen he always gives more than you want. :)
An additional Indian classical touch for you too in the combination of flute and Mridangam.
6) The mild shift from major scale to chromatic scale when Gangai sings Pudhu Raaga Jaadhikalum.

This man's music gives us so much happiness which can never be expressed in words but can only be experienced. :musicsmile:
Ecstacy in Abundance , I bow to you my Lord. :bow:

:ty: Rajsmed for uploading the full version of this spectacular beauty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E-PvGfC_Tg#t=57s