PDA

View Full Version : IR News and Other Titbits Ver.2009

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

raagas
3rd March 2009, 01:42 PM
Dont mistake me friends. I am not at all saying that he at par. I would infact say that the instances in which we can quote the 'serious-discipline' when it comes to IR.. FAR OUTNUMBERS the instances we can quote about ARR.

I am only saying that merely dismissing 'COMPLETELY' as non-serious and jingle composer is little far fetched. And seriousness neednt be associated purely with classical music alone (be it indian or western).i think thats where the author got lost. I agree that IR's music is like a seamless fabric and to some extent ARR's music is an interesting collage stitched together. But I think ARR's music also had some, mind you, SOME instances, where we can feel some serious discipline in the genres he is handling.And i am not saying this about ARR alone, probably VidyaSagar or any other composer too might have his share of discipline and commitment.

I wrote my comment only because i felt the author judged purely on the level of 'popular numbers', based on which, yes, IR's music appears more serious (yet pleasing to masses) while ARR's music appears to be plain pleasing to the masses. But i think there were some instances in which ARR, atleast tried to, bring out serious music. The author perhaps did not notice such work.
Also, lets look at this way - a Ninnu Kori Varnam might be, or probably was perhaps non-serious music to some purists back then when it was released, although it took south indian by storm. But for me, it is damn serious music, in fusion genre. So, there is no common ground to measure and the author tried to measure it without putting 'his ground' or 'his scale'. Thats why i said so.

pure bliss
3rd March 2009, 02:43 PM
RF,

if you have the contacts you can ask SPB about ARR's WCM and for String arrangements unfortunatly Mr.Sridhar is nomore to tell about the same. I am quoting these two cause they are champions in the respective fields

Raagas,

but don't you feel the author is too generous to ARR when he said
"Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. "

Do you seriously place ARR on par with IR in WCM and string arrangements ?

rajasaranam
3rd March 2009, 04:17 PM
[tscii:ff42675946]RF & PB,

The Difference should lie in the bold & underlined sentence found below I hope.

Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. Both have graduated from the Trinity College of Music, London, though Ilaiyaraaja bagged a gold medal there. For classical Indian music, both were students of Dhanraj ‘Master’ in Chennai. Both have awesome proficiency on the piano, keyboard and synthesizer. On top of it, both are versatile vocalists, with a distinctly nasal tinge.[/tscii:ff42675946]

par
3rd March 2009, 04:22 PM
Regarding RPO being released i guess IR is the best person to come and talk about it in public..Simply saying pop corn and full meals is not going to be of any help..
I have been maintaining that ARR has been having a great team of PRO's who spread good things and are responsible for his entry in mumbai and then to places outside india

A PRO is for the public, not for fellow artists. To win over a fellow artist you need an agent. AR Rahman certainly has an agent. I am not sure whether he has a PRO, though.

rajasaranam
3rd March 2009, 04:34 PM
raagas,

similarly writing off Raaja as a 'Elitist' or only a 'Serious Music' maker is also fat fetched I believe. Both Raaja and Rahman are doing 'pop' music as wel serious music. none hesitated from asking Raaja to compose for a Disco, folk or dappankuthu no. similarly none hesitated from asking Rahman to compose a 'Narumugaiye', 'nila kaigirathu' and many more other classical based nos.

But It has been repeatedly said in many places that 'Raaja's songs are serious music and Rahmans songs are pop music only because the content and the way they treat their music are like that. Raaja treats a pop song seriously and Rahman treats a classical song lightly hence this analogy by many listeners.

One more analogy which is running amuck in blog space and people's dialogue is 'Raaja's music is like lullaby and makes you sleep and Rahman's music is peppy and makes you dance' :shaking:

raagas
3rd March 2009, 04:38 PM
[tscii:df56a389ab]RF & PB,

Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. Both have graduated from the Trinity College of Music, London, though Ilaiyaraaja bagged a gold medal there. For classical Indian music, both were students of Dhanraj ‘Master’ in Chennai. Both have awesome proficiency on the piano, keyboard and synthesizer. On top of it, both are versatile vocalists, with a distinctly nasal tinge.[/tscii:df56a389ab]

Good point RS.
But the author's definition of 'serious music' seems to be not carnatic classical or western classical alone, but a grasp over every genre handled. I felt the author didnt take ARR seriously enough firstly, to make the comparison which he tried in that article. I felt as if the author arrived at his conclusion by comparing a 'Sundari Kannal' (dalapathi) with a 'Humma Humma'. Now, compared to former, definitely the latter is non-serious.I was only saying that we cannot write off like that.

It would have been more appropriate if the author said that IR's music is more strongly rooted in serious disciplines, no matter whichever genre he chooses, while ARR's music shuffles in and out, depending on the theme of the film and the filmmakers intent.
I think thats a better way of putting it, because i felt ARR did give 'serious music' (seriousness perceived as the author) in say, a Shyam Benegal film or a Deepa Mehta film, for example, compared to any commercial Shankar film or Subhash Ghai film.

But as i said, ultimately.. IR's 'serious music' outnumbers that of ARR because IR has huge body of work. Also, the degree and dimension of that 'serious music' vary, because they are different individuals.

raagas
3rd March 2009, 04:48 PM
raagas,

similarly writing off Raaja as a 'Elitist' or only a 'Serious Music' maker is also fat fetched I believe. Both Raaja and Rahman are doing 'pop' music as wel serious music. none hesitated from asking Raaja to compose for a Disco, folk or dappankuthu no. similarly none hesitated from asking Rahman to compose a 'Narumugaiye', 'nila kaigirathu' and many more other classical based nos.

But It has been repeatedly said in many places that 'Raaja's songs are serious music and Rahmans songs are pop music only because the content and the way they treat their music are like that. Raaja treats a pop song seriously and Rahman treats a classical song lightly hence this analogy by many listeners.

One more analogy which is running amuck in blog space and people's dialogue is 'Raaja's music is like lullaby and makes you sleep and Rahman's music is peppy and makes you dance' :shaking:

You are right.both are doing both.

And you just wrote it "it has been repeatedly SAID" . I dont know why people say that way.like the song you have suggested "Narumugaye" - i think ARR didnt treat it lightly, but was infact 'serious music' (atleast i felt so). A friend of mine once pointed out a ARR song "Saanwariya" from film 'Swades' and he showed me some of the ideas used in that song by singing the swaras (he knew classical music and he was referring to a particular tune in either hari khamboji or Hanumathodi, i cant exactly recall) and how he changes the pattern. i was really surprised and wondered -does ARR also think so much? Trust me, the ideas, as narrated by my friend, made me feel if ARR too was thinking like IR? That was just one instance.

kham
3rd March 2009, 05:30 PM
[tscii:d3023d63cd]RF & PB,

Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. Both have graduated from the Trinity College of Music, London, though Ilaiyaraaja bagged a gold medal there. For classical Indian music, both were students of Dhanraj ‘Master’ in Chennai. Both have awesome proficiency on the piano, keyboard and synthesizer. On top of it, both are versatile vocalists, with a distinctly nasal tinge.[/tscii:d3023d63cd]

:rotfl:
2 Oscar
1 Golden Globe
4 National Awards

Wat more gold medal needed :rotfl:

Hulkster
3rd March 2009, 05:34 PM
[tscii:a057ba26e8]RF & PB,

Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. Both have graduated from the Trinity College of Music, London, though Ilaiyaraaja bagged a gold medal there. For classical Indian music, both were students of Dhanraj ‘Master’ in Chennai. Both have awesome proficiency on the piano, keyboard and synthesizer. On top of it, both are versatile vocalists, with a distinctly nasal tinge.[/tscii:a057ba26e8]

I think it is wrong. ARR got a degree in WCM while IR got a gold medal for guitar. It is true that they studied the same college.

raagas
3rd March 2009, 06:04 PM
[tscii:a399c5313c]RF & PB,

Interestingly, both are proficient in western classical harmonies and string arrangements. Both have graduated from the Trinity College of Music, London, though Ilaiyaraaja bagged a gold medal there. For classical Indian music, both were students of Dhanraj ‘Master’ in Chennai. Both have awesome proficiency on the piano, keyboard and synthesizer. On top of it, both are versatile vocalists, with a distinctly nasal tinge.[/tscii:a399c5313c]

:rotfl:
2 Oscar
1 Golden Globe
4 National Awards

Wat more gold medal needed :rotfl:

Kham, you named awards. RS cited qualifications. I hope you know the difference between the both.

raja_fan
3rd March 2009, 06:07 PM
Youtube launches its symphony orchestra.

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200903031541.htm

Can some one pull IR in to it ?

directhit
3rd March 2009, 06:07 PM
raagas,

You are right.both are doing both.

And you just wrote it "it has been repeatedly SAID" . I dont know why people say that way.like the song you have suggested "Narumugaye" - i think ARR didnt treat it lightly, but was infact 'serious music' (atleast i felt so). A friend of mine once pointed out a ARR song "Saanwariya" from film 'Swades' and he showed me some of the ideas used in that song by singing the swaras (he knew classical music and he was referring to a particular tune in either hari khamboji or Hanumathodi, i cant exactly recall) and how he changes the pattern. i was really surprised and wondered -does ARR also think so much? Trust me, the ideas, as narrated by my friend, made me feel if ARR too was thinking like IR? That was just one instance. :sigh2:

raagas
3rd March 2009, 06:20 PM
directhit,

i dont know what you meant. But i can now see that i didnt articulate it well. I didnt mean that i was expecting ARR not to think at all.

My thoughts at that time, Please read it as:

"Does ARR think so much in this dimension too (i vaguely remember that the idea there was something like shruthi bhedham or graha bhedham), which rarely composers think.". The raagam associated was probably a Hanumathodi or Harikambhoji, which again are not easy raagams, atleast not that we canb discern clearly for that song in question.

Plum
3rd March 2009, 08:01 PM
"'Raaja's music is like lullaby and makes you sleep and Rahman's music is peppy and makes you dance'
"
Arghh! Enna oru deconstruction - room pottu ysippangalo?

irir123
3rd March 2009, 08:58 PM
http://www.mfiles.co.uk/composers/Ilaiyaraaja.htm

steveaustin
3rd March 2009, 09:17 PM
இளையராஜா இல்லாமல் சினிமா இல்லை - குல்சார் (http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2009/03/01-no-indian-cinema-without-maestro-ilayaraaja.html)

Sanjeevi
6th March 2009, 01:05 PM
Guys

Dont miss SUN TV at 11.30 am on Sunday (Mar 8).

Recorded video telecast of

Felicitation for AR Rahman by Tamil Film Music Fraternity

Dont miss it

raja_fan
6th March 2009, 03:51 PM
Can any one please record this programme ? Just in case power-cut plays spoilsport on Sunday !

Vysar
9th March 2009, 05:02 AM
There are some mis quotes here and there but at least it has some coverage about IR, MSV, and other MD appreciation of the real Maestro ARR

http://www.dinamalar.com/piraithalkal/ananthavikadannewsdetail.asp?news_id=81&dt=03-09-09

MrJudge
9th March 2009, 12:22 PM
There are some mis quotes here and there but at least it has some coverage about IR, MSV, and other MD appreciation of the real Maestro ARR

http://www.dinamalar.com/piraithalkal/ananthavikadannewsdetail.asp?news_id=81&dt=03-09-09

:rotfl2:

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 02:15 PM
Aamaam..ARR thaan "Real Maestro".

Adhanaala thaan avar "Fake Maestro"-vai paarthu, "ivar oscarai vida periyavar"-nu sonnaaru..

ippo nallaa puriyudhu Vyasar sir !

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 02:25 PM
btw..about SUN TV's telecast of ARR's felicitation programme,

* Viewers would have wondered whether the programme was on IR or ARR ! because the camera focussed more on IR than any one else.

* I expected some pinch of feeling in IR's face that he did not achieve this. But No..not at all..IR conducted himself like a king as always ! :)

* Only IR's speech was so knowledgable and looked forward to by others in the hall. What a speech ! How many composers in Hindi and the west he knows about ! He broke the widely held notion that he is inside his own shell !

* After IR's speech, his fans would feel like "nothing lost if IR is not recognized". Gnani is a Gnani..don't care for anything type..

* Poor guy was K.Balachander ! What made him sit with a long-drawn face ?! Did he expect ARR/IR to respect him more ? And he delivered his speech written in English !

* IR never cared for KB sitting beside him. He only shared some thoughts ( or questions ? ) with ARR.. KB veruthu poyiruppaar paavam :)

* Another guy was this AVM.Saravanan. He seem to carefuly avoid recognising the presence of IR on the stage. But IR never cared or took it seriously. In fact IR addressed Saravanan during his speech. And people doubt the humility of IR !!

* Good to see Harris Jeyaraj saying "If Annakili had been an English movie, IR would have got 32 oscars now" , with IR shoving "no..no.." with his hands like a child for this exaggerated praise from HJ.

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 02:30 PM
IR's speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUHydFYU0I

Sanjeevi
9th March 2009, 02:45 PM
btw..about SUN TV's telecast of ARR's felicitation programme,

* Viewers would have wondered whether the programme was on IR or ARR ! because the camera focussed more on IR than any one else.

* I expected some pinch of feeling in IR's face that he did not achieve this. But No..not at all..IR conducted himself like a king as always ! :)

* Only IR's speech was so knowledgable and looked forward to by others in the hall. What a speech ! How many composers in Hindi and the west he knows about ! He broke the widely held notion that he is inside his own shell !

* After IR's speech, his fans would feel like "nothing lost if IR is not recognized". Gnani is a Gnani..don't care for anything type..

* Poor guy was K.Balachander ! What made him sit with a long-drawn face ?! Did he expect ARR/IR to respect him more ? And he delivered his speech written in English !

* IR never cared for KB sitting beside him. He only shared some thoughts ( or questions ? ) with ARR.. KB veruthu poyiruppaar paavam :)

* Another guy was this AVM.Saravanan. He seem to carefuly avoid recognising the presence of IR on the stage. But IR never cared or took it seriously. In fact IR addressed Saravanan during his speech. And people doubt the humility of IR !!

* Good to see Harris Jeyaraj saying "If Annakili had been an English movie, IR would have got 32 oscars now" , with IR shoving "no..no.." with his hands like a child for this exaggerated praise from HJ.

Good r_f :D

I too wondered why the camera focus is always with IR than ARR?

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 02:57 PM
Sanjeevi,

because IR commands such a respect in TN music scene !

buggle
9th March 2009, 02:57 PM
In one of the pictures i saw SJ also in the stage, did she speak anything abt ARR? Did IR and SJ even smile at each other???

MumbaiRamki
9th March 2009, 03:03 PM
Sanjeevi,

because IR commands such a respect in TN music scene !

Well , thtas true .. More than that , most TV directors , camera - men are big fans of IR ! Eg ., ramesh Prabha , shahul hameed etc ..

rajasaranam
9th March 2009, 03:04 PM

Think Raaja has reconciled himself in case of ARR that 'Eithavanai vittuvittu Ambai Noavathaen' :) Soon he should reconcile with MR too even if they are not going to work together in future.

thumburu
9th March 2009, 03:06 PM
Raja's speech especially regardig the "ONENESS" of music is a sure shot Research and Analysis material. Raja just broke the myth that he is an isolated island and just composes music that comes to his mind. He consults the doyen of Carnatic music Dr.BMK to clarify any doubts in classical music. He has created his own raga called "Rajalahari" after he confirmed with BMK that there was no known raga with the swara pattern which he created .
raja_fan, please post the later part of his speech esp with reference to BMK . I presume Raja wants to collaborate with BMK to brin.g out the later's extensive research in music
Please somebody post Raja's entire speech extract

nanchil_guy
9th March 2009, 03:06 PM
In one of the pictures i saw SJ also in the stage, did she speak anything abt ARR? Did IR and SJ even smile at each other???

Enna ippadi kettutinga, SJ started like 'Raja sonnadu pola , idhu vanthu isayae ARR paratarathu pola' nu sollitu.. ' nan raja nu pera solrean yarum kovichukkadinga, enna enakku rajavai chinna pullaiya irrukm podilirunthae theriyum' sollitu SJ laughs and IR also smiled.

nanchil_guy
9th March 2009, 03:30 PM
Few points regarding IR speech,

1.Raja was so exuberant through out the function just as he mentioned in his speech 'ungaladuya face expression podum ungal unarvugalai kattuvadurkku'.

2.It was BMK who said 'ARR uchasdyayi thottuvittar' not by IR as quoted by media.

3.IR praised BMK like anything , he started with the reference of BMK speech 'intha medaikku vara enakku irukkum ore thakuthi, association member than'- he replied like 'BMR annavukku enna thaguthi illa, intha medai illa vera entha medaikku pora thaguthi avarukku irukku'.

4.Even though AVM sravanan carefully avoided mentioning IR's name in the league of legends, IR mentioned him as AVM saravanan sir and said ' AVM sonnaru MSVkku award onnum kodukkalanu, nan kakeraen avarukku etharkku award, neenga world'la periya award ellam create panni vachukkalaam, aana intha compser ellam ( pointing towards MSV ..) illama, awarda vachikittu enna pannuvinga.. summa vachikkuvendiyadhuthan'.

5.IR didnt say ' uriya nerathil kodukaapadatha awardukku maruyathai illai' as quoted by some media instead he said something similar to 'MSV ponra composerkku kodukkapadatha award irunthum punniyam illai'.

6.And he told the story of Madan Mohan and Roshan to make the point that composers need not to be in touch all the time, coz they are talking through their music.

In total, it was one of the best speeches of IR.

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 03:35 PM
Thumburu,

Already I have given the link.

IR's speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiUHydFYU0I

You are not allowed to access it ?

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 03:37 PM
nanchil_guy,

IR says "MSV aathaara sruthi. idhu ( pointing to himself) adhukku mel ezhundha panchamam. Adhu ( pointing to ARR ) adhukku mela Sadjamam "

I think this is what media reported as IR saying "ARR uccha sthaayi"

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 03:39 PM
IR's handling of AVM.Saravanan was the excellent lesson to every body. Something like "thannakku innaa seidhaarai oruthal avar naana nannaya seithu vidal".

I am so happy that KB got what he deserved !!

nanchil_guy
9th March 2009, 03:45 PM

Think Raaja has reconciled himself in case of ARR that 'Eithavanai vittuvittu Ambai Noavathaen' :) Soon he should reconcile with MR too even if they are not going to work together in future.

RS, i am sure, Raaja never gave a damn about those incidents/people. He always maintaind that 'nashtam enakku illa'.

jaiganes
9th March 2009, 03:59 PM
@Naanchil and R_f he is able to because his dealings are only with swaras. I liked the way S.A.Rajkumar presented the show. KB was the only out of place person in the whole show. His demenaour, speech everything was as if he was speaking with American dignitaries and his AGS office English was stuff for T.Rajendar fans to rejoice in joy and revel in the resultant Pure Bliss(hubberai sollala).
Aazhnda uLLarththangalum azhagaana unarvugalumaai veLippadayaaga irundha arpudhamaana urai. Pala vishayangaLai kadandhu sendru Isai Kalaignar/rasigargaLidaye thani Simmasanam poattu veetriruppavar enbadhai indha vizha urai pulappaduththiyadhu.
On the side note - I was very happy to hear Janaki's speech - glad to know that her voice is still there though I miss her clarity and bhava in today's film song voices.

nanchil_guy
9th March 2009, 04:11 PM
@Naanchil and R_f he is able to because his dealings are only with swaras. I liked the way S.A.Rajkumar presented the show. KB was the only out of place person in the whole show. His demenaour, speech everything was as if he was speaking with American dignitaries and his AGS office English was stuff for T.Rajendar fans to rejoice in joy and revel in the resultant Pure Bliss(hubberai sollala).
Aazhnda uLLarththangalum azhagaana unarvugalumaai veLippadayaaga irundha arpudhamaana urai. Pala vishayangaLai kadandhu sendru Isai Kalaignar/rasigargaLidaye thani Simmasanam poattu veetriruppavar enbadhai indha vizha urai pulappaduththiyadhu.
On the side note - I was very happy to hear Janaki's speech - glad to know that her voice is still there though I miss her clarity and bhava in today's film song voices.

Exactly jaiganes !! Thats why i always request the fellow hubbers to not go with image created/maitained by Media on IR.

On the other hand IR didnt milf words when it comes to praising ARR, he didnt go gaga over ARR's humbleness, humility etc as most of the others did, But he is the only one who portrayed how monumental the ARR's oscar achivement is by saying ' composer like Jhon williams had big gap between his 4 oscars aana namma aalu inga irunthu poi sodukku pdurathukkulla intha kaila onnu antha kaila onnu vangittu vanthaan paarunga, athu'.

jaiganes
9th March 2009, 04:35 PM
The very word - he uses to praises ARR - Shadjamam - calling himself a panchamam is a monumental word of praise - Sad that there are idiots who cannot appreciate the most beautiful praise word by Raaja. Shadjamam has so much of spiritual significance in hindu tradition. Niraya paer wont be satisfied till Raaja says 'naan pannadhu onnum illai, ivar panninadhu dhaan sirandhadhu' - he has already said that many times that legends like MSV, Madhanmohan and Roshan panninadhukku munnaadi naan panninadhu onnum illainnu. Still some nuts wont learn to understand.
He goes on to say that Rahman's music has won the award that has been awarded previously to music like 'The sound of music' which he holds in great awe and in the league of Hans Zimmer and John Williams whom he holds in very high opinion. Idhukku mela enna sollamudiyum? eppadi solla mudiyum?
He highlights the 'greatness' of the tradition of the great masters of the past and tells the audience that ARR is the continuation of a great tradition and he has won it in a manner that would awe someone like John williamsnnu. Idhai vida sirandha paaraattu oru isai medhayidamirundhu innoru isai medhai pera mudiyaadhu.
He also hints that some of ARR's musical questions have been answered by him musically or vice versa ( if we look closely at the recollection of Madanmohan and Roshan episode - isayaal pesi koLbavargaL)

thumburu
9th March 2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks raja_fan, I missed seeing part2 and 3 before. Part3 beginning is truncated and Raja was making some interesting reference to swara sthanams .
I wish the media corners and covers this self imposed recluse to speak more often on the subject close to his heart, the subject for which he stands as a metaphor :)

jaiganes
9th March 2009, 05:13 PM
Thanga kreedamae kodukkalaam - adharku avarukku(ARR) thagudhi irukku . - Raja in the felicitation..
This point also has been missed by media.

Plum
9th March 2009, 05:15 PM
jai, r-f, n_g, thanks for sharing Raja's speech. Naan kooda light-aa kindal pannittu irundhaen vaali speech recycle pannuvarunnu, he has this time chosen to reveal his true wonderful self which only few people who have read his thoughts through his books understood - this time, his speech should settle all doubters about his character. Idhu dhaanda character - where are you all, doubting thomases - ippo sollungappa arrogant, thimiru, egoistic ellam. Enge, enge, enge poneengapa kuzhambina kuttaiyila meen pidikkara chinna pasanga ellam?

nanchil_guy
9th March 2009, 05:47 PM
Thanga kreedamae kodukkalaam - adharku avarukku(ARR) thagudhi irukku . - Raja in the felicitation..
This point also has been missed by media.

This function is the best example on how media misquotes, read between lines and come with their own conclusion etc about IR's speech.

Just compare earlier media reports on IR's speech and his actual delivery, so much misquotes, lots of important points being missed (intentionally or unintentionally, i dont know).

Thats why we should always scrutinize media news and the gossips ( now a days you dont find any difference between the two) before we form our opinion on someone based on that.

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 05:53 PM
Thumburu,

On that truncated part, IR says "There are more Sruthis even between Sa and Ri that only Dr.BMK can sing "

raja_fan
9th March 2009, 05:58 PM
Imagine yourself in the place of IR.

A genius who has worked magic for 32 years still underrated..and a "rival junior" comes with two topmost awards of the world and you are called to his felicitation programme..
Will not a trace of disappointment be there on your face ?

But IR was there like a jubiliant ARR fan !

What a man !!
A true Gnani !
I remember Mu.Metha's words "Avar isaiyil mattum Gnani illai..ellaathuleyum Gnani thaan "

nanchil_guy
9th March 2009, 06:01 PM
Above all his statements, we can read how much happy/proud IR was from his facial expressions, as he also optly put this into words in his speech.Same goes to ARR as well.

you can spot the existence of mutual respect from their body language very easily. One thing is sure, it's been always some of their fans who had apprehensions/doubt over this, not those two geniuses.

buggle
9th March 2009, 06:07 PM

Enna ippadi kettutinga, SJ started like 'Raja sonnadu pola , idhu vanthu isayae ARR paratarathu pola' nu sollitu.. ' nan raja nu pera solrean yarum kovichukkadinga, enna enakku rajavai chinna pullaiya irrukm podilirunthae theriyum' sollitu SJ laughs and IR also smiled.
Thanks n_g, because somewhere i remember reading that they both are in a rift and that's why IR didn't invite SJ for the Andrum Indrum Endrum show(Jaya TV)

complicateur
9th March 2009, 06:30 PM
Lovely Speech by rAjA (that bit about rAjalahari notwithstanding). I am especially enthused in that he
1.reaffirmed some musical belief's of mine that I wrote about in the hub a while back.
2. was fairly substantive in his praise of Rahman.

jaiganes
9th March 2009, 06:34 PM
Lovely Speech by rAjA (that bit about rAjalahari notwithstanding). I am especially enthused in that he
1.reaffirmed some musical belief's of mine that I wrote about in the hub a while back.
2. was fairly substantive in his praise of Rahman.

I thought the bit on Rajalahari was apt. It is his creation - but doesnt mean anything to him till his Guru has stamped 'OK' on it. Perfect example of how he is 'so called humble'..
;-)

complicateur
9th March 2009, 06:40 PM
I thought the bit on Rajalahari was apt. It is his creation - but doesnt mean anything to him till his Guru has stamped 'OK' on it. Perfect example of how he is 'so called humble'..
;-)
Ha! Thx for showing me that someone got the point I was making in that deleted thread Jai :) .

Plum
9th March 2009, 06:42 PM
"1.reaffirmed some musical belief's of mine that I wrote about in the hub a while back.
" - link please
2."Ha! Thx for showing me that someone got the point I was making in that deleted thread Jai " - unfortunately, I missed it though I reckon it would be similar to what I have already thought of on my own. precis?

jaiganes
9th March 2009, 06:48 PM
I felt like shaking up KB and saying this aint Kodak theatre sir. wake up. He could have easily added more value to the speech given his fantastic collaboration with Kanadasan, MSV, V Kumar, Raja and Rahman. Instead he gave a Jeppiar kinda speech stupefying - totally stupefying.

complicateur
9th March 2009, 06:51 PM
"1.reaffirmed some musical belief's of mine that I wrote about in the hub a while back.
" - link please
Unsure of how to link to a specific post so I've quoted it below.

[tscii]

My question is (set of questions!)

Do u think carnatic music paves way to DIVINITY as assumed or proclaimed by many? If yes, do u think the musicians these days stick to the divinity in music rather than alapanis and swaras to show prowess? Name one or two musicians who u think oozes divinity whist singing?

SP – No worries with the spelling :) . As I told NOV the identity crisis is not that pronounced.

At the outset I would like to link this (http://www.desipundit.com/baradwajrangan/2006/09/17/interview-bombay-jayashri/) article which should provide a little perspective on the view I hold.

One should define what one classifies as divinity. I will make the assumption that you refer to the acknowledgeable yet indescribable “higher” level oft referred to in discussions of music. I believe if this perceived divinity is the sole purpose, Shruthi from the tambura, or even just the repeated to and fro cadence of Shadjamam-Pancham-Shadjamam, should be sufficient right? As I have mentioned elsewhere, I wrote an outline (called Shadjamam thEdi) a long time back to explore a weird கருவறையும் கல்லறையும் ஒன்றே concept. The title was born of my opinion that the Shadjamam has the unique ability to denote beginning as well as completion and in having that power has the strong ability to elevate us to that “level” [which I think I identify with sAntha rasa].
But I guess it is fairly obvious that the rational mind will get bored from just listening to just those 3 notes. So the other notes and other rasA’s (shringAra, karunA etc…) are necessary to enjoy the sAntham. So I don’t think we should bind music to the perceived constructs of divinity. And I am happy that someone of the stature of Bombay Jayashri actually said that her first allegiance is to the rAgam in the link I quoted above. Also because she is one of those people I would list as sending me into rapures. I enjoy listening to Sanjay SubramaNiam, Sikkil Gurucharan and Sowmya as well. Another voice I have come to love recently is Balaji Shankar. Just pristine.

2."Ha! Thx for showing me that someone got the point I was making in that deleted thread Jai " - unfortunately, I missed it though I reckon it would be similar to what I have already thought of on my own. precis?
Nothing too involved Plum. Jut a couple of posts where I was uncharacteristically dogmatic in an attempt to prove that statements and intents may very easily be misinterpreted. I was also basically agreeing with equanimus' post that all this 'humility' talk was very condescending to ARR as an artist.

jaiganes
9th March 2009, 06:59 PM
Oh and one more thing about Raja's speech. He was sure commanding among all the speakers and he almost takes it upon himself to remind the younger generation that MSV and others dont speak much and dont have the limelight in the modern TV age, but their achievments have to be recollected at every given opportunity. This was far more noble than 'Humble' saravanan trying to pitch for Aaroor das and Valee . The way he put it across might seem to some 'why is he discussing the past in this function'. However I felt that it aptly underlined the 'kaniyaaga kanindha mottu' motif of his speech. It is a very subtle way to place Rahman among the greats without giving up his ego (which he rightly preserves) ever so little. The clever use of 'chi ennayya pannittu irukOm' underlines his 'humility' as well - but his detractors will still find out enough to say why he did not place himself along with the likes of Deva, so that he can climb up some more steps on their 'humility' index.
To all those - one sentence..
vechchukko vechukko moottai katti
unnidam uLLadhu Oattai chatti.

complicateur
9th March 2009, 07:04 PM
To all those - one sentence..
vechchukko vechukko moottai katti
unnidam uLLadhu Oattai chatti.
:) ARR music-la avar oru pAttu pAdaNum. I've always wondered how it would work and I would love to be a fly on the wall if it happened.

raagas
9th March 2009, 07:06 PM
whatever... all in all, it was a good event. Not only for one composer or for his fans.. but for every composer who was there and respective fans. ARR once told that we (film music fraternity) need to adopt the 60s way of functioning - when so much of good music was being made and every composer met up with other composers, had friendships, appreciated each other's music and co-existed by churning wonderful music. This function reminded me of that.I am all the more glad that Ilaiyaraaja spoke very well (i could sense it, despite me not understanding a word of Tamil). I only did not understand what he said specifically about Roshan and Madan Mohan. But i could understand that he looked up to them very highly. IR also quoted Hans Zimmer etc.

I know it would be expecting too much, but it would be interesting to see a collaboration between IR and ARR (something like MSV and IR did). I know they are different people to collaborate, but then, they have some commonalities such as emphasis on quality, polished sound,perfection etc. and many a time, creativity takes birth out of different thoughts. infact, ARR once said that he would like to work with IR, like the way IR did with MSV in Mella thirantha kathavu. I read somewhere sometime.

ARUNPRAKASHKRISHNAN
9th March 2009, 08:41 PM
i think it will happen.my wish is ir should compose the tune and arr should orchestrate it for a movie.let s see

Vysar
9th March 2009, 08:55 PM
Then

"TIS collection will help to open University for Musical Research"

Now

"Balamurali Krishna Keerthanas will be shared and highlighed for future generations"

IR eloquence comparable to MuKa with no substance behind the talk

jaiganes
9th March 2009, 08:56 PM
@raagas:
Roshan and Madanmohan were competing composers who never met each other. however when Roshan died at a very young age of 32, madan went to pay respects to the body of roshan, kept a wreath of flowers and after a moment of silence cried out 'Bloody fellow - you died - now to whom I am going to answer?" revealing that all his compositions were in response to musical queries in Roshan's compositions. Raaja then remarked - that is how to composers were discussing and chatting with each other - through swaras - Is there a need for even meeting.. He said this after mentioning that our family is a more united and affectionate and related - with him playing for MSV, ARR playing for himself., etc.,

eagle
9th March 2009, 10:49 PM
I think very diplomatic speech by raaja without going into the musical aspects concentrating only on the scale of achievement by rahman... which he himself admitted (i have not created any masterpieces in SDM...)

One thing for sure.. he keeps people guessing all the time... and wins them in the end...

Sanjeevi
9th March 2009, 11:30 PM
Imagine yourself in the place of IR.

A genius who has worked magic for 32 years still underrated..and a "rival junior" comes with two topmost awards of the world and you are called to his felicitation programme..
Will not a trace of disappointment be there on your face ?

But IR was there like a jubiliant ARR fan !

What a man !!
A true Gnani !
I remember Mu.Metha's words "Avar isaiyil mattum Gnani illai..ellaathuleyum Gnani thaan "

Rajava pathi thappa ezhuthuna purambokku-kalukku sariyaana saattai adi

Sanjeevi
9th March 2009, 11:49 PM

RS, i am sure, Raaja never gave a damn about those incidents/people. He always maintaind that 'nashtam enakku illa'.

:thumbsup:

crajkumar_be
10th March 2009, 01:24 AM
I think very diplomatic speech by raaja without going into the musical aspects concentrating only on the scale of achievement by rahman... which he himself admitted (i have not created any masterpieces in SDM...)

One thing for sure.. he keeps people guessing all the time... and wins them in the end...

nanchil_guy,

IR says "MSV aathaara sruthi. idhu ( pointing to himself) adhukku mel ezhundha panchamam. Adhu ( pointing to ARR ) adhukku mela Sadjamam "

I think this is what media reported as IR saying "ARR uccha sthaayi"

vasanth2006
10th March 2009, 02:58 AM
IR's Speech....

http://www.tubetamil.com/view_video.php?viewkey=ff3856b9dad807b6d046

I am not sure whether it has complete coverage or not.....

vasanth2006
10th March 2009, 03:10 AM
Devi sri prasad..... En isai theivam Ilaiyaraja sir inga irukaru....

He never fails to show his love to IR's music..... :notworthy:

thamizhvaanan
10th March 2009, 03:32 AM
Of all the speeches I enjoyed IR's the most... Never imagined that he would speak so eloquently and in an engaging manner :clap:

The way he compared how Shruthi's are not discrete but continuous & overlapping with the music of the TFM stalwarts... wow! what an analogy :bow:

venkkiram
10th March 2009, 07:23 AM
"இதுவரை இந்தியாவில் இதுபோல ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சி வந்தது கிடையாது , இனிமேலும் வரப்போவதும் கிடையாது" என்பது போல இருக்கிறது ராஜாவின் பாராட்டுரை. நிச்சயம் ரகுமான் புண்ணியம் செய்திருக்க வேண்டும்.

உற்று கவனீத்தீர்கள் என்றால் புலப்படும்... நிறைய இடங்களில் ரகுமானை மனம் திறந்து , தெள்ளிய நீரோடை போல பாராட்டி இருக்கிறார்.

"இறைவன் சரியான பாத்திரத்தை தேர்ந்தெடுக்கிறான். சரியான பாத்திரத்தை தேர்ந்தெடுத்து, இவனுக்கு இது தகும் என ஒவ்வொருக்கும் அவரவருக்கு தகுந்த மாதிரி அளந்து வைத்திருக்கிறார். " என்ன ஒரு நிதர்சனமான வார்த்தைகள்.. விழாவின் சாராம்சமான வார்த்தைகள்..தீர்த்தமாய் வந்து தெளிக்கிறது.

இந்த நிகழ்ச்சிப் பதிவை ஏதோ ராஜாவின் அருமையான , சிறந்ததொரு பாடலை மீண்டும் மீண்டும் கேட்பது போல தினமும் மூன்று முறையாவது பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிறேன்... ராஜாவின் இசையைப் போல, ஒவ்வொருமுறையும் இந்த மேடைப்பேச்சு ஓவ்வொரு பொருளை தருகிறது..

ஒவ்வொரு வாய்ப்பிலும் இவர் பேசும் போது, தவறாமல் முன்னோர்களை மரியாதை செலுத்துகிறார்.. உலக இசை மேதைகளை மதிக்கிறார். ரகுமானைப் பாராட்டும் விழாவாக இருந்தால் கூட, பாலமுரளியை சிகரத்தில் வைத்து அழகுபடுத்துகிறார். மதன், ரோஷன், எம்.எஸ்.வி முதல் மைக்கேல் ஜாக்ஸன் வரை எல்லோரும் புகழப்படுகிறார்கள். அவர் சொல்வதை போலவே, மனசு சிறுசு என்றாலும் இதையெல்லாம் கேட்கும் போது மனசெல்லாம் குளிர்கிறது.

இசையமைப்பாளர்கள் கூடும் விழாவிற்கு ஏ.வி.எம், பாலச்சந்தரை ஏன் கூப்பிட்டார்கள் எனத் தெரியவில்லை. இரும்படிக்கிற இடத்தில் ஈக்களுக்கு என்ன வேலை?

Fliflo
10th March 2009, 08:20 AM
Guys,

Watch the entire episode of "ARR felicitation program" here (nearly 2 hrs).

http://www.tubetamil.com/view_video.php?viewkey=7fa2ea81bfc9774f1baa

best
Fliflo

raagas
10th March 2009, 08:22 AM
@raagas:
Roshan and Madanmohan were competing composers who never met each other. however when Roshan died at a very young age of 32, madan went to pay respects to the body of roshan, kept a wreath of flowers and after a moment of silence cried out 'Bloody fellow - you died - now to whom I am going to answer?" revealing that all his compositions were in response to musical queries in Roshan's compositions. Raaja then remarked - that is how to composers were discussing and chatting with each other - through swaras - Is there a need for even meeting.. He said this after mentioning that our family is a more united and affectionate and related - with him playing for MSV, ARR playing for himself., etc.,

Amazing. Simply amazing. I salute IR for sharing this anecdote to show how genius composers have that kind of 'no ill-will' spirit in them.

raja_fan
10th March 2009, 08:32 AM
Vyasar wrote

Then

"TIS collection will help to open University for Musical Research"

Now

"Balamurali Krishna Keerthanas will be shared and highlighed for future generations"

IR eloquence comparable to MuKa with no substance behind the talk

Then,

"I have a plan to do an album on Bharathiyar songs"

Now,

"Our Consortium has a plan to do a musical on Thirukkural"

With whom to compare this eloquence of ARR ? :)

Hulkster
10th March 2009, 09:05 AM
Raja_fan dont bring in ARR to argue with Vysar. Waste of time. May i know why your suddenly so interested in bringing ARR's name everywhere?

MrJudge
10th March 2009, 10:12 AM
Then,

"I have a plan to do an album on Bharathiyar songs"

Now,

"Our Consortium has a plan to do a musical on Thirukkural"

With whom to compare this eloquence of ARR ? :)

:lol:

rajasaranam
10th March 2009, 10:41 AM
R_F & Judge,

Lets not turn this into another IR-ARR battle thread, there is so much of good feeling and positivity prevailing now. I have consciously avoided 'Vysar's posts for the past 4 years, He was never a fan of Raaja nor he is a fan of ARR now. He can never be one too! For people like him, Charu and Gnani its not music of ARR or IR that makes them support/hate them, some other external factors leads to their decisions. Just Ignore their likes and lets be peaceful.

IR - ARR battle can be fought later! Kadavulgal othumaiya irunthaalum, Bhakthargal Atha nirutha mudiyathulla :)

raagas
10th March 2009, 03:15 PM
R_F & Judge,

IR - ARR battle can be fought later!

It neednt be fought at all firstly. Good music, be it by any composer, is always pleasing to our senses and i dont see any reason why anyone should fight over which is good and which is not, particularly when music is written with sincerity.

Chilllaxe guys... can we move ahead with normal discussions. we have spoken enough on the usual topic.

MrJudge
10th March 2009, 11:19 PM
IR - ARR battle can be fought later! Kadavulgal othumaiya irunthaalum, Bhakthargal Atha nirutha mudiyathulla :)

intha fight-a vida mudiyAthu, not in this lifetime.

irir123
11th March 2009, 12:36 AM
[tscii:0e0dd64387]PAY DIRT!! renowned Los Angeles based journal FILM SCORE MONTHLY reviews and profiles Maestro.Ilaiyaraaja's music!!!

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6175/An-"Unknown"-Indian-Film-Music-master/

Highlight: "It is quite clear that Ilaiyaraaja’s respect is well-warranted. His music is immediately engaging, with a popular sensibility that gives way to detailed construction upon further exploration. Working with a variety of synthetic production, live orchestra, and fabulous singers and Indian music instrumentalists lends the music a unique quality that one discovers is part of the style of this composer. Here is someone who has discovered a way to fuse musics from multiple periods both East and West to create a sound that serves each subsequent film. There is much of the composer’s music to be explored and even with the language barrier that ultimately exists, the music is immediately communicative and often entrancing."

Hip Hip Hurray![/tscii:0e0dd64387]

jaiganes
11th March 2009, 04:19 AM
Of all the speeches I enjoyed IR's the most... Never imagined that he would speak so eloquently and in an engaging manner :clap:

The way he compared how Shruthi's are not discrete but continuous & overlapping with the music of the TFM stalwarts... wow! what an analogy :bow:

You just search for IR speech in youtube - you will come across some of the most interesting speeches.
The one he gave for ARR felicitation was right up there with the one he gave for Jeyakanthan. and that one was a cracker of speech - it had details for his conversion (from communism to theism/spirituality). The guy simply relishes when there is no media barrier between him and his subjects.

crvenky
11th March 2009, 10:26 AM
Watch 'Uruvam' today 4.39 PM IST in Raj TV. Its the best BGM score from Raja for ghost movies genre.

krish244
11th March 2009, 01:20 PM
Watch 'Uruvam' today 4.39 PM IST in Raj TV. Its the best BGM score from Raja for ghost movies genre.

Never heard of this movie. Is it a dubbed (into tamil) movie?

"4:39PM IST" - Never knew Raj TV is so strict about time :)

thanks,

Krishnan

crvenky
11th March 2009, 01:24 PM
Krish,

That was a typo, it should be 4.30 pm :)
Uruvam is original Tamil movie, produced by Mohan and he acted by in it too (as a defaced man). RP Viswam is also there as evil man. I have seen this movie few years back, very scary, eerie BGM.

MrJudge
11th March 2009, 01:30 PM

Never heard of this movie. Is it a dubbed (into tamil) movie?

"4:39PM IST" - Never knew Raj TV is so strict about time :)

thanks,

Krishnan

Yeah, I never heard of it and searched the web.
@imdb http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320703/

Looks like a Mohan's movie.

krish244
11th March 2009, 02:52 PM
Krish,

That was a typo, it should be 4.30 pm :)

Oh ok :)

Uruvam is original Tamil movie, produced by Mohan and he acted by in it too (as a defaced man). RP Viswam is also there as evil man. I have seen this movie few years back, very scary, eerie BGM.

Oh is it.

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
11th March 2009, 03:42 PM
Uruvam has also a very short peppy song.

Mohan tried a come-back by this movie which failed miserably as his later "Anbulla kaadhalukku" :)

vasanth2006
14th March 2009, 10:06 PM
Director Vishnu says a IR song is the main BGM for first half of sarvam......Rajavin isaiyai tamil cinemavai vittu pirikka mudiyathu pola..... :)

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/17749.html
(5th video)

svbp007
14th March 2009, 10:15 PM
S. Janaki's speech in the felicitation of ARR was very nice. She said that it was like Music & Saraswathy who came to bless ARR (referring to IR and probably others as well).

raja_fan
15th March 2009, 08:09 AM
Director Vishnu says a IR song is the main BGM for first half of sarvam......Rajavin isaiyai tamil cinemavai vittu pirikka mudiyathu pola.....

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/gallery/events/17749.html
(5th video)

1. Kalloori -Un paarvaiyil oraayiram

2. Subramaniapuram - Siru ponmani asaiyum.

3. Some movie with "Aayiram thaamarai mottukkale.."

4. Padikkadhavan - "pothi vacha" and "Adi aathaadi"

5. Vaaranam aayiram - En iniya pon nilaave

6. Karthik Anitha - En kanmani un kaadhali..

hmm..the list is growing......:)

ananth222
15th March 2009, 10:16 AM
wasn't an annakkili song used in "padikkathavan"?

rajasaranam
15th March 2009, 12:19 PM
Vennila Kabadi kuzhu - Senthoora poove
Poo - Many songs

Fliflo
15th March 2009, 05:21 PM
BMK on Ilayaraja

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2009/03/15-ilayaraja-is-the-authority-for-indian-film-musi.html

Sanjeevi
15th March 2009, 10:46 PM
BMK on Ilayaraja

http://thatstamil.oneindia.in/movies/specials/2009/03/15-ilayaraja-is-the-authority-for-indian-film-musi.html

thatstamil knows how to get great hits :)

eagle
16th March 2009, 10:45 PM
BMK on Ilayaraja

thatstamil knows how to get great hits :)

So far i never really thought about people speak badly about raaja apart from nut cracks like charu etc... but if what balamuralikrishna says true than i am really at loss for words... only tamils are capable of stooping down to such low levels!!! :oops:

irir123
16th March 2009, 11:44 PM
eagle, wasnt BMK speaking positively/praising IR ??

app_engine
16th March 2009, 11:45 PM
stooping down to such low levels!!! :oops:

You can see some of them right there in that site (readers' comments)...quite shocking :-(

crajkumar_be
16th March 2009, 11:56 PM
eagle, wasnt BMK speaking positively/praising IR ??
I think eagle didnt mean BMK but rather the people who made BMK speak like that - as in "matra isaiyamaippaalargalai mattam thattubavargal" - people who belittle IR using "Oscar" as a tool

crajkumar_be
16th March 2009, 11:58 PM
stooping down to such low levels!!! :oops:

You can see some of them right there in that site (readers' comments)...quite shocking :-(
Rediff-a vida remba kevalama irukkum pola :(

jaiganes
17th March 2009, 12:22 AM
@Bala...
Namma aalungalai kevalam endra vaarthaikku oru artham sollunganna - Agaraadhiye pottuduvaanunga. Indha sh*t samudharaththula neechaladikkaradhaye oru professiona seidhu kondu iruppavargaLai naan paarthu irukkiren.

raagas
18th March 2009, 04:25 PM
I am surprised that there is no news about Jaganmohini.

Long back, there was a news article saying that IR was doing 18 films and is still the busiest composer in India.
whatever happened to all those films.

Particularly:

1. Jaganmohini
2. SRK
3. Chal Chale
4. Pazhassi Raja
5. Silent Film in Telugu featuring comedian Brahmanandam.

And how come there is no talk abt upcoming tamil flicks of IR, after NL and NK.

irir123
18th March 2009, 06:29 PM
wat abt the telugu film on 'Thyagayya' ?

Hulkster
18th March 2009, 06:50 PM
They are all coming slowly. Slow but steadily. Most the albums are coming either Early April or after Tamil New Year.

irir123
18th March 2009, 09:37 PM
Hulkster - slowly or steadily, the silence between projects is way too disquieting! for example, the much awaited release of 'Pazhassi Raja' has been postponed for 2 years, even though the songs have all been composed/recorded and done! and when it gets released, it will be under some nonsense label, CDs difficult to obtain and it will be gone without a trace in a few months after the release

EKSI

krish244
19th March 2009, 12:24 PM
Article says Pazhassi Raja back on track:

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/malayalam/top-stories/2009/pazhassi-raja-movie-shoooting-190309.html

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
19th March 2009, 12:29 PM
[tscii:d479ba7701]T.Selvakumar, MD of ARR's music school (also music programmer) says he considers ARR and IR as two most tech savvy musicians of India.

http://www.screenindia.com/news/the-insiders/436131/

"He also continues to deal in Apple equipment. Whenever the company launches something new, Rahman is his first client. “AR’s one of the two most tech-savvy musicians in India,” he states, proudly. Who’s the other? “You wouldn’t expect this: Ilaiyaraaja.” "

thanks,

Krishnan[/tscii:d479ba7701]

crvenky
19th March 2009, 12:51 PM
Mudhalvar Mahatma is on Aug 15th. But who is the MD?

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14872292

vigneshram
19th March 2009, 01:24 PM
Mudhalvar Mahatma is on Aug 15th. But who is the MD?

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14872292

Gangai Amaran

raagas
20th March 2009, 05:48 PM
wat abt the telugu film on 'Thyagayya' ?

Oh yes, IR is working on it. But then, i dont expect much 'Ilaiyaraaja Music' there, because the film is on Saint Thyagaraja. The album will obviously have the krithis composed by the great saint. The only place where IR can figure in and leave his mark is in arrangements and execution. No scope for IR tunes as such (unless director wishes to incorporate new songs reflecting that period/era, picturized generally and not on the protagonist). So from the expectation's perspective, i am looking forward to only arrangements and hence i cannot treat it as a complete Ilaiyaraaja album.

Sanjeevi
21st March 2009, 01:00 PM
http://jeyamohan.in/?p=1951

Rajasaranam neengathanE athu

raja_fan
21st March 2009, 06:22 PM
Watch "IR special" in Super Dancers show on Jaya TV today (Sat) at 9 PM !

raja_fan
22nd March 2009, 02:57 PM
Watch the continuation today at 9 PM

rajasaranam
23rd March 2009, 10:59 AM
http://jeyamohan.in/?p=1951

Rajasaranam neengathanE athu

Adiyaen thaan :)

MumbaiRamki
23rd March 2009, 11:25 AM
[tscii:9c61791c24]
DIamond Pearl 's interview ...

http://www.hindu.com/mp/2009/03/23/stories/2009032350030100.htm

Coming back to films, Vairamuthu definitely feels music maestro Ilayaraaja and film director Bharathiraaja are trendsetters. “The desire to succeed was strong in us and it paid rich dividends. We had the thirst to excel. It was art and its sake in the forefront rather than the commercial aspect. We worked hard day and night and the creations that emerged have stood the test of time. It also helped us to accept challenges. Take, for instance, folk numbers. We paid more attention to the folksy flavour, which was found missing earlier. The reach of those numbers is phenomenal,” he says and sings ‘Vettiveru Vaasam Vedalapulla Nesam…’ the popular song from “Muthal Mariyathai” before signing off.

[/tscii:9c61791c24]

R.Latha
25th March 2009, 02:36 PM
ஜெய் ராஜா

ரஹ்மானுக்கு ஆஸ்கர் வாங்கி தந்த பாடல் ஜெய் ஹோவை எழுதிய குல்சார் இசை ஞானியுடன் இணைகிறார்.ஷாருக்கானின் அடுத்த படத்துக்கு குல்சார் பாட்டெழுத மியூசிக் போடுகிறார் நம்ம மேஸ்ட்ரோ

krish244
25th March 2009, 03:01 PM
R.Latha, is there a link which confirms the news? Shahrukh khan and IR together...I really doubt. Or did you confuse with the movie titled "SRK" for which IR and Gulzar are working together?

thanks,

Krishnan

raja_fan
25th March 2009, 04:03 PM
krish244,

Yes. Latha would have read "IR scoring for SRK" :)

raja_fan
25th March 2009, 04:04 PM
[tscii:640572fb79]
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2009/03/25/stories/2009032550340100.htm

“Raga Symphony” in a way harks back to what Ilaiyaraja did years ago – the two symphonies “How To Name It” and “Nothing But Wind” and the more recent “Tiruvazhagam”. Ilaiyaraja fused Western classical with Carnatic classical, using compositions of Thyagaraja and 8th century Tamil poetry. Shaarang Dev does it with khyal music in the tradition of the 150-year-old Mewati gharana. [/tscii:640572fb79]

raagas
25th March 2009, 04:49 PM
Raja_fan

interesting bit. Thanks for that.

I listened to 'Raga Symphony' and it is a good album, in its own right. But i dont think it harks back to HTNI, NBW o Thirvasakam. Probably the 'intent' - to mix the two genres, traces back to those albums, but not the content. Shaarang Dev did a good work no doubt, but the way the fusion has been presented is not in the dimension of IR's albums, but different. Ofcourse i am not comparing. Fusion has been attempted by many composers. Pt.Ravi Shankar did it. IR did it. More recently, i was fortunate to attend a concert of Ustad Amjad Ali Khan with Scottish Chamber Orchestra and it was a mindboggling concert, which had wonderful fusion. Every fusion is unique in its own way and so was IR's. This album is a good album, no doubt, but the magnitude and direction of fusion choosen, is different from HTNI, NBW or TSI.

Sureshs65
25th March 2009, 11:31 PM
I read the article as well. What stuck me in the article was what lot of people have been saying in this forum: about the lack of musicians available to play instruments and that mostly everything is done electronically. That is what Shaarang Dev says in his interview. He had to take a lot of pain to get the musicians he wanted. Very sad indeed.

A.ANAND
27th March 2009, 08:03 AM
Nostalgia: Vintage Ilayaraja

In the rush of new movies and music, many gems are either lost or forgotten. No one can be blamed for this happening; it is just the way the world is, the old making way for the new. Here, we attempt to bring back to you memory some wonderful pieces of art, some of them worth the label of vintage classics which got lost in the madding crowd. You might not be able to instantly reconnect to the long forgotten number, but give it some time and the magic might begin to work again. Though the song has been reviewed, more importantly this is a look back at the fascinating way in which Tamil cinema evolved, with a touch of nostalgia. Hope you enjoy it.

This charming number from the movie Kavikkuyil starring Sivakumar and Sridevi is an evergreen Ilayaraja piece. The song cleverly uses both the top and bass flute notes to start and carry the song forward as the song itself centers on the Radha-Krishna imagery. The yearning search for the beloved by the man is accompanied by soft lyrics that touch upon a myriad dreams. The very opening salvo shows off the Rithigowla raga so well, when the flute goes' ni ni saa-;ni sa ga sa; ni-sa-ni;ga ma pa ma ga ri saa.' Then you have a gentle cascade of notes with the guitar, violin and what feels like santoor, adding to the 'dreamy' feel. what is special about the whole song itself is that the flute articulates each line at the beginning of the pallavi and the charanams.' sa ga ri ga ma ni ni saa ;ni dha ma paa; saa ni dha ma pa; ga ma pa ma pa ma pa ma pa ma ga ma pa ma ga ri sa nii' goes the flute. And Dr. Balamuralikrishna follows up with the words 'Chinna Kannan Azhaikkiraan; raadhayai, Poongodhaiyai, Aval manam konda ragasiya raagatthai paadi'--- in his delectable voice. It is the 'pa ma pa ma pa ma' repetition that adds a whole new dimension to the aesthetic appeal of this song. Just close your eyes and savor the emotion conveyed in the line 'kangal solginra kavidhai' which line starts at the top 'sa' note. Though Ilayaraja has stuck to traditional sangatis, he brings in a dramatic note two and a half minutes into the song where the flute wails 'ni ri ri sa---' .There is a sense of urgency now in calling out. Please note how the percussion sound (tabla mainly) is smooth and subdued right through the song which therefore preserves the mood of the whole piece so well!

Let us know if this helped you relive the magic of the beautiful composition or whether you discovered something hitherto unknown to you.

baroque
27th March 2009, 12:36 PM
It doesn't sound like Shri.IR's orchestral works. :D

Sharangdev Pandit's Raga Symphony IS IMMENSELY REFRESHING WITH intense Indian classical ragas-melodies, not over powering percussion or disjoint or excessive orchestration(pouring music on a weaker melody) , nice usage of saraangi, sitar, vocal chorus, veena, violin drums, viola, khanjira, mirudhangam etc..., good vocal dhiranas ... Tracks length are rt and sufficient to indulge the beauty of the musicals.

This album, I relate to Sri Ganapathi Sachchidananda Swamiji's meditative musical cds like RAGA SAGARA, NADA HIMAYALAS , CELESTIAL MESSAGE etc..

I think we can call this kind of music as NEW AGE - fusion albums, with ethnic touch, vocals - aalaapana, swara rendering etc...

Rahman is doing already in films, remember Delhi -6.

An embrace of passion...RAGA - பாகேஸ்ரி my mind was longing, humming நிலவே என்னிடம் நெருங்காதே ....., நீ என்ன சொன்னாலும் கவிதை... ஸ்ரீ.விஸ்வநாதன் :thumbsup: Within time 0:01 - 0:51 is enchanting, masterpiece மாதா ராகா at composer's WILL ... nice rapid jathi
increase in usage of indian percussion, free flowing cool musical,
alternate dhirana/chorus..singing by vocalists, glamorous violin passages.

Raga LALIT (7:43) is a flute ecstasy with female alapana, chorus swara renderings, .... :musicsmile:

Mr.Anand, that's a wonderful post on early Ilayaraaja :musicsmile:

In Raga Symphony..there is a track in Rag Malkauns(carnatic - Hindolam)soulful Raaga aalaapana followed by emotive saarangi and poignant violin passage with a rhythm, soothing flute, vocal chorus smooth humming / dhiranas..... STUNNINGLY gorgeous 8:00min ....:swinghead:

I was running around Early IR's Naan thedum sevvandhippoovidhu... IR's aalaapana with scintillating violin, romantic flute, brisk jathi... the musical pours in speed...GOLDEN 80's Ilayaraaja...
நான் தேடும் செவ்வந்திப் பூவிது
ஒரு நாள் பார்த்து அந்தியில் பூத்தது.... :swinghead:

Film CHITCHOR has an enchanting MALKAUNS aalapana by Shri.Yesudas before the song Gori tera .... like Shri.IR's Sri devi en vaazhvil.... Aalapana.

Shri.Ilayaraaja's NOTHING BUT WIND - TRACK...Composer's Breath..(16 mins) in Rag Malkauns's Hariprasad Churasia's flute is breezy. after 9:30 , Ilayaaraja's bell kind of sound orchestration (until10:40) spoils the listening sugam/சுகம் , irritates me(though I love his prelude bell sounds to entice our mood inஆத்தாடி பாவடை...poovilangu) ... I find that 1.5 min musical chunk சம்பந்தமேயில்லாம insipid musical insert suddenly :roll: thus IR didn't guard the mood he brought for me while showing his virtuosity. Aesthetics of music lost...என்னவோ, என்ன fusion இது Shri. Ilayaraaja? :roll: not to mention initial மெலடி (before 9:30) also very same நான் தேடும் செவ்வந்திப்பூ ...tune.

I liked the album... Raga symphony is different kind of fusion music.
Mood was preserved smoothly.
Sharangdev Pandit's Raga Symphony - STUNNINGLY SOULFUL album . :)
vinatha. :musicsmile:

kiru
31st March 2009, 09:01 PM
vinatha, great review I guess. Is this CD available for sale online ?
BTW, IR has come a long way from NBW, HTNI. Maybe you should compare with TIS. Also, IR's fusion approach I think is different. He probably approaches the composition from the Western classical end. His understanding is, the orchestra should be used fully and all sections at the same time (symphony) if possible. Raagas are just a tool for him to write the notes for the whole composition. Maybe I am wrong, but this is the impression I get. I have not seen other indian MDs do this level of 'polyphony'. The music is going to be complex and not easy on the Indian ear. There are so many preludes to songs which extended for a long time will 'exhaust' the indian audience. There will 2 or 3 threads of music playing vigorously against each other and come/align together at the end of a 30-40 secs. This is how a full IR composition is going to be but ofcourse with not just some 'tension' but also some 'relief' as well. Again, all my conjecture.

baroque
31st March 2009, 11:12 PM
Let him think polyphony orchestration, Kiru.

But I don't find the brilliant / magnificent Ilayaraaja always shines as put together, churning out variety of stunning orchestral pieces still preserve the intended mood/emotions in that track. That bell orchestration in COMPOSER'S BREATH is not tasteful for my ears. It is tacky.

Pay attention to the grand third lude of hindolam...Sri Devi en vaazhvil.../ interludes of ila nenjey vaa...vanna vanna pookkal- percussion /second interlude of chinnakkannan azhaikiran.../short enticing prelude of sorgaththin vaasapadi.... / gorgeous strings prelude of nilavondru kanden....kai rasikkaran - early years.

The above mentioned film songs are better fusion in terms of aesthetics and technicalities.
இது ஒரு நிலா காலம்......டிக் டிக் டிக் ...
FUSION at the BEST.. 80s Ilayaraaja glory! :musicsmile:
Some of the above compositions , IR has done even earlier than NBW.
So I am not accepting the argument, he has come a long way...:)
Regarding CD.
AMAZON.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=pandit+jasraj+Raga+Symphony&x=0&y=0
Please suggest for the Library collection. They will bring too.
Label is TIMES.. you can request the local Indian music stores to bring.
vinatha. :)

irir123
1st April 2009, 06:57 AM
"THE WORLD OF MUSIC" journal reviews Ilaiyaraaja's "THIRUVASAGAM - A CLASSICAL CROSSOVER" -

http://www.vwb-verlag.com/Katalog/m816.html

Reviewed by Hollie Longman

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=cdc459d6fda6123e67cd7f7bd65f7eefe04e75f6 e8ebb871
article can be downloaded from there - it looks like an elite journal read by ethnomusicologists and scholars!

R.Latha
1st April 2009, 01:13 PM
[tscii:b8c96597c2]A Classic Treat from KB-Raja-Vaali-SPB
By Behindwoods Visitor Vijay
The views expressed in this column is that of the visitor. Behindwoods.com doesn't hold responsible for its content.
Let us deal with a masterpiece composition from the (Keladi Kanmani Paadagan Sangathi - Puthu Puthu Arthangal) K.Balachander - Ilayaraja - Vaali - SPB factory. What is so special about this song to write on? It is the situation. A duet or a peppy or even a pathos won’t do justice for this kind of situation. First let us see the situation before going into the song.

Situation:

Absolutely frustrated in life, Rahman goes on a journey
Ilayaraja
without knowing the destination. On the way he gets introduced to Sithara A nice relationship blossoms between them which makes Rahman very happy especially when he is yearning for a person with whom he can share his past life burdens.

At this type of scenario a song should perfectly suit Rahman’s state of mind i.e. a blend of his present happiness and the past bitterness. As said already it can be neither duet nor pathos. See Raja’s magic here, the song should have poignancy but at the same time it should not sound completely pathos like Oorai Therinchukitten or Raaja Enbaar Manithiri Enbaar and here we also need to mention Vaali’s lyrics which captures Rahman’s life in just two lines
The garland I proffered did not spread fragrance
But you are the jasmine who blossomed for me
And here comes the classic lines
A lasting burden rests with my heart
You are the Stonehenge I seek
My withering times are around your chest
You are the mother who lullabies me
Finally above all SPB's rendition makes the song as one in a million composition!.

http://www.behindwoods.com/features/visitors-1/ilayaraja-12-03-09.html
[/tscii:b8c96597c2]

rprasad
2nd April 2009, 02:55 AM
Baroque,

I don't agree with your view that the NBW track does not maintain the intended mood. By the way what kind of mood or emotion are you expecting in a fusion track especially one done in the manner which IR has with an orchestra. Fusion by its word means you are fusing two genres so you are never going to get the full mood/emotion you would when a single genre of music is played completely. THe mood/emotion keeps swinging as an when the genre of music is changed as IR does so brilliantly. My emotions ride the same wave as the music does. There is no one intended mood when someone does a fusion. It starts with a particular mood keeps shifting as music genre keeps changing and ultimately comes back to end the way it started. THis is what IR's piece does. One has to keep going with the shifts and try to enjoy the piece rather than expecting to hear a particular mood or emotion throughout the composition. THis is simply not that type of a composition. you expect surprises in fusion. ultimately how everything is blended together is important and IR does it expertly with the orchestra and flute.
Movie song prelude or interludes are short duration and morever not the kind of fusion IR has done in his albums. Those are more instant gratification pieces, so should not be compared to an elaborarte work like NBW which is more complex.

jaiganes
2nd April 2009, 03:32 AM
One important point to note when listening to HTNI and NBW - many instrumental players have told the fact that IR asks them to play the 'western instrument' in an eastern way (guitar prasanna has remared this more than once in his blogs). However in both these albums he has let the western strings (not the single carnatic violin) and drums and guitars be what they are and played them so unlike the way he uses them in film music. Still he is able to prove his musical theories sufficiently well to a layman like me who is exploring music from its fringes or to an expert doing a deep dive in it.

baroque
2nd April 2009, 06:46 AM
rprasad.
I only stated the Hindolam track in NBW and highlighted the disturbance it causes for me in that 1:5 min musical chunk.
A fusion music can touch different genres, forms, styles still there will be a continuity , cohesive & soulful. Completely disparate elements come together to form a cohesive Soundscape.
As I was blissful with his flute passage, that particular musical - patch work orchestration - chunk irritates me. எனக்கு நல்லா இல்லை. I don't find it as put together fusion.
Nice you keep going with the shifts behind Ilayaraaja. IF IT APPEALS TO YOU, find it the greatest fusion, enjoy - GOOD FOR YOU!

DIGRESSION
Most of you fusion lovers know it... If you are familiar, You may revisit..
If you haven't heard of the album.. please check it out.
Dr. L.Subramaniam, Stephane Grappelli - conversations
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000000XRY/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_001?ie=UTF8&track=001&disc=001
MEMORIES track is gold.
:ty: I found the you tube. :ty:
beautiful violin - jazz fusion. Very Gracious fusion.:musicsmile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2n1MAfUTW8
I bought the cassette during early 90s for Rs 30 at MADRAS.
Artist: L. Subramaniam & Stephane Grapelli
Album: Conversations
Year: 1984
Label: Milestone
end
Shri. Ilayaraja is playing rama nannu brovara..... raga HARI KAMBHODHI....THYAGARAJA composition in violin as BGM :musicsmile: before the scene Rajini is coming in மாறு வேஷம் to பொண்ணு கேட்டு வைஷ்ணவி for his brother in the movie தர்ம துரை...in my dvd.
மாசி மாசம் ஆளானப் பொண்ணு :swinghead: EROTIC IR RULES FOREVER!
ENJOY..
vinatha. :wave:

raagas
3rd April 2009, 07:32 PM
That bell orchestration in COMPOSER'S BREATH is not tasteful for my ears.

I agree, i too felt the same. Many a time, i have fastforwarded that particular piece. For me atleast, this bell piece is the single flaw in the album. Musically and from the perspective of IR, it might not be, but somehow, for me, it is too hard on my ears.

raagas
3rd April 2009, 07:46 PM
ARR's interview in screen:

Do two background music trophies indicate that the background score is gaining more importance nowadays?
In the West, they are amazed that in Indian films the same person composes both the songs and the background score. But over here, whether it was Naushadsaab in Hindi films, Ilayaraja down here or most other composers, we have had this tradition almost as a culture.

http://www.screenindia.com/news/i-miss-those-lifechanging-lyrics/441299/

baroque
3rd April 2009, 08:56 PM
:) vinatha.

writeface
4th April 2009, 03:44 AM
Digression:

Please check out the jazz album "Kinsmen" by Rudresh Mahanthappa and Kadri Gopalnath. It is awesome. It has received rave reviews in the US.

http://www.rudreshm.com/

Wf.

kiru
4th April 2009, 10:22 AM

But I don't find the brilliant / magnificent Ilayaraaja always shines as put together, churning out variety of stunning orchestral pieces still preserve the intended mood/emotions in that track. That bell orchestration in COMPOSER'S BREATH is not tasteful for my ears. It is tacky.

Pay attention to the grand third lude of hindolam...Sri Devi en vaazhvil.../ interludes of ila nenjey vaa...vanna vanna pookkal- percussion /second interlude of chinnakkannan azhaikiran.../short enticing prelude of sorgaththin vaasapadi.... / gorgeous strings prelude of nilavondru kanden....kai rasikkaran - early years.

The above mentioned film songs are better fusion in terms of aesthetics and technicalities.
Regarding CD.
AMAZON.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=pandit+jasraj+Raga+Symphony&x=0&y=0
Thanks Vinatha for the link, I will order it soon.
My point about IR having come a long way is not to justify the issue you have with NBW. It is after all your taste.
My point is about Raaga Symphony style of composition versus TIS. It is just my opinion (for whatever its worth) IR's WCM skills have continued to evolve and TIS is an epitome of that. IR though has in some private conversation has said that TIS is not his most complex in orchestration because he wanted to get it "right" rather than prove a point.

kiru
4th April 2009, 10:23 AM

Regarding CD.
AMAZON.
Thanks Vinatha for the link, I will order it soon.
My point about IR having come a long way is not to justify the issue you have with NBW. It is after all your taste.
My point is about Raaga Symphony style of composition versus TIS. It is just my opinion (for whatever its worth) IR's WCM skills have continued to evolve and TIS is an epitome of that. IR though has in some private conversation has said that TIS is not his most complex in orchestration because he wanted to get it "right" rather than prove a point.

baroque
4th April 2009, 11:25 AM
:) OK.

A.ANAND
5th April 2009, 01:16 PM
Tamil MDs meet before Thiruvasakam Launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x__LmCoyrRE&feature=related

rajasaranam
6th April 2009, 02:19 PM
It seems the movie is still under production :|
http://www.aspisdrift.com/2009/02/sapan-saran-talks-about-her-journey-to.html

inetk
10th April 2009, 09:54 AM
[tscii:8a5cad7f99]http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/04/10/stories/2009041051210200.htm

Chaitanya is all set with his next venture “Suryakanthi”....
...while music is by Ilayaraja again. All the songs have been recorded and anyone who’s heard them is raving. “There’s one song which’s like a sixties Broadway musical. Shreya Goshal and Kunal Gunjawala who’ve sung the song say they’ve never heard anything like this in Indian film music,” says Chaitanya.[/tscii:8a5cad7f99]

Sanjeevi
10th April 2009, 01:40 PM
Saw the television advt of Karthik Anitha, a new movie. They used 'En kanmani En kadhali' song in this film (not as remix, exactly same)

A.ANAND
10th April 2009, 05:27 PM
Ilaiyaraaja -Talking with the Maestro-01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soqEWe-Ep_8&feature=related

First Song Composed By Raaja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2-bYCpV44Y&feature=related

eagle
12th April 2009, 10:47 AM
Shiva than & now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8_hgiqlhA&NR=1

krish244
12th April 2009, 11:28 PM
[tscii:741f21f9e3]http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/04/10/stories/2009041051210200.htm

...while music is by Ilayaraja again. All the songs have been recorded and anyone who’s heard them is raving. “There’s one song which’s like a sixties Broadway musical. Shreya Goshal and Kunal Gunjawala who’ve sung the song say they’ve never heard anything like this in Indian film music,” says Chaitanya.[/tscii:741f21f9e3]

Inetk, this really raises my curiosity level! Good to know that the script had scope for this kind of a song. Hope the best.

thanks,

Krishnan

crvenky
13th April 2009, 04:03 PM
Mathiya Chennai:
http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/April/130409.asp

Bhagyadevata:
http://sify.com/movies/malayalam/fullstory.php?id=14878654

crajkumar_be
13th April 2009, 05:52 PM
[tscii:cbfcec7d7a]http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/04/10/stories/2009041051210200.htm

...while music is by Ilayaraja again. All the songs have been recorded and anyone who’s heard them is raving. “There’s one song which’s like a sixties Broadway musical. Shreya Goshal and Kunal Gunjawala who’ve sung the song say they’ve never heard anything like this in Indian film music,” says Chaitanya.[/tscii:cbfcec7d7a]
For some people it's going to sound "outdated" anyway, with "incongruous rhythms" etc.. :)

krish244
14th April 2009, 03:13 PM
Mathiya Chennai press meet:

http://10.72.185.205/insertleaks.cgi?ld=0&allocator=MDA&number_of_blocks=397651

"Music Maestro Ilayaraja steps in with some tracks that reinvent Kollywood music"

thanks,

Krishnan

rajasaranam
14th April 2009, 04:41 PM
[tscii:fff782d104]

"Music Maestro Ilayaraja steps in with some tracks that reinvent Kollywood music"

...while music is by Ilayaraja again. All the songs have been recorded and anyone who’s heard them is raving. “There’s one song which’s like a sixties Broadway musical. Shreya Goshal and Kunal Gunjawala who’ve sung the song say they’ve never heard anything like this in Indian film music,” says Chaitanya.
[

Ippadi Usupethi usupethiyae odamba ranagalam aakki vechu irukaangaiyya. :lol: Not that Raaja is not capable but intha media'va namba mudiyala :cry: [/quote][/tscii:fff782d104]

venkiks
14th April 2009, 06:29 PM
Ippadi Usupethi usupethiyae odamba ranagalam aakki vechu irukaangaiyya. :lol: Not that Raaja is not capable but intha media'va namba mudiyala :cry: [/tscii][/quote][/quote]

But IR has lived up to the expectations in most of his recent albums.

krish244
14th April 2009, 07:35 PM
IR has composed 5 tunes for Mathiya chennai:

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/exclusive/2009/mathiya-chennai-movie-140409.html

"Maestro Ilayaraja scores the music and recently he completed 5 tunes for the film"

Krishnan

raja_fan
14th April 2009, 08:47 PM
Indha mathiya chennai, vadakku chennai...ithellaam velaikke aagaadhu..

veenaaga edhirppaarppai valarthukkolla vendaam ! :)

jaiganes
14th April 2009, 09:01 PM
Indha mathiya chennai, vadakku chennai...ithellaam velaikke aagaadhu..

veenaaga edhirppaarppai valarthukkolla vendaam ! :)

some stills i saw of this movie - nadu roattula group dance - thangalada saamy. Kadhai solradhu vera, padam edukkaradhu vera.

krish244
14th April 2009, 09:31 PM
Jaiganes, paarthutteengala?? :) I saw it as well. Did not want to post that link here and spoil the mood of others too :)

Krishnan

eagle
14th April 2009, 10:27 PM
Saw a poster today "vizhiyiley" music by Ilayaraja. Looks different!!

jaiganes
15th April 2009, 01:46 AM
@krish - mun echcharikkaya irukaradhu romba avasiyam - in these days.

crvenky
16th April 2009, 11:02 AM
Rahasya's kuthu pattu Mathiya Chennai:

http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14880979

njv
17th April 2009, 01:01 AM
The highlight is said to be the music by Illayaraja who was moved by the story when he heard it.

Paavam Raaja konjam asanjaa kooda, idhumaathiri kalappi viduraanga. From the stills, it looks like another HORRIBLE movie with mediocre music! lets see.

raja_fan
17th April 2009, 08:53 AM
[tscii:aacb6b3640]
T.K.Ramamurthi's praise on IR.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2009/04/17/stories/2009041751280400.htm

A composer TKR reveres is Naushad Ali, whose songs were a great inspiration to the duo. “Ilaiyaraaja is another composer who has mastered western, folk and classical music, fusing them intelligently. His background score for ‘Johnny’ impressed me a lot.” Generous words from a master. [/tscii:aacb6b3640]

irir123
17th April 2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/46317.html

crvenky
18th April 2009, 10:58 AM
Raja's 6 songs for Azhagar Malai:

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/April/170409c.asp

Producer: Sangili Murugan

raja_fan
19th April 2009, 08:55 AM
"Naan Kadavul" film on youtube. Good quality !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y_8caFvwFk&feature=PlayList&p=AA0A949C3FC163C4&index=0

jaiganes
19th April 2009, 09:12 AM
@Raja_Fan - neenga nejama fan dhaana?
Edho DVD release pannitanganny sonnaalum parava illai - idhu too much. Piracy pa piracy
FBI kitta kedacha bendu ungala nimithiruvaan.

A.ANAND
19th April 2009, 11:10 AM
Sangathil Paadatha kavithai - Auto raja(1982) Ilayaraja song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEQa7c4UAx4&feature=related

mindblowing song!

raja_fan
19th April 2009, 11:14 AM
Jaiganes,

I did not upload that film in youtube.
I just shared the URL.

Evanum ennai nimiththa mudiyaadhu :)

btw..., who is that FBI ? :)

raja_fan
19th April 2009, 11:20 AM
Sangathil Paadatha kavithai - Auto raja(1982) Ilayaraja song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEQa7c4UAx4&feature=related

mindblowing song!

Just when I was reading this post, I am watching "Rasigan" programme in Kalaignar TV .

Todays special is S.Janaki special.

A question was posed to one team "Which was the first song of S.Janaki to have sung with Ilaiyaraja ? "

The right answer is "Sangathil padatha.." :)

SVN
20th April 2009, 03:20 PM
I thought the evergreen and ever popular female solo by S. Janaki came first in Malayalam (Tumbi Vaa), before the Autoraja duet, 'Sangathil'?

raja_fan
20th April 2009, 10:40 PM
SVN,

I meant "the first duet in IR and SJ voices". Hope now it is clear.

thumburu
21st April 2009, 06:12 PM
I think "sangathil paadaadha kavidhai" came a year before "thumbi vaa" of "OlangaL". I rate this above all the other lang versions. Thanks for the youtube link Anand. Iam moved beyond words by the awesome tune, Janaki's voice , the bass, veenai , keyboard , flute , what not? [and that includes Raja's voice too, for a change :)]

SVN
21st April 2009, 09:53 PM
Raja-fan, Yes, I realised it right after hitting the Post button :). Tumbee Va is a regular feature in most Malayalam music programmes on stage and on TV.

One of my all-time favorite SJ-IR duets is Avatharam's "Thendral vandhu theeNdum bOdhu".

Talking of early Janaki-Raja duets, I have always felt that in the "ThAlAttudhE vAnam" song from Kadal MeengaL by SJ-Jayachandran, Raja has sung just one line in the first charaNam (Nilai meeRi Adum...) and not Jayachandran. Does anyone share this view?

krish244
21st April 2009, 11:11 PM
SVN, long back when I heard this song, I wondered why Jayachandran shakes a bit at the beginning of the charanam, but did not pay much attention to it. Now, I listened to it again at thiraipaadal site and I too suspect it now, especially the way he pronounces "Aaduuum..." and the shake is evident. Nice observation SVN.

After a really long time I am listening to it on headphones and what a song this is.

thanks,

Krishnan

A.ANAND
22nd April 2009, 12:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umxTkHqgnh8&feature=PlayList&p=EB57EB05F1E51AD7&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=80

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCIGWvHmAdw&feature=PlayList&p=EB57EB05F1E51AD7&index=81

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX6_6jfecY&feature=PlayList&p=EB57EB05F1E51AD7&index=86

meendum raja kitta irunthu ipadi oru 'irava paadagal' ketka vaipa irukka???

app_engine
24th April 2009, 02:19 AM
http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/46506.html

Errors and inaccuracies seem to be the norm of web reporters :-(

- Raja has acted in a # of movies and 'madai thiRandhu' is probably well-known

- He was a school drop-out and what's this thing about studying in Madurai AC?

Hulkster
24th April 2009, 05:17 AM
He is acting in a full song so its first time. Madai thirandhu and naan thedum sevvanthi poo only featured glimpses of him.

R.Latha
24th April 2009, 02:33 PM
[tscii:e440b583e5]Ilayaraja acts in a song
IndiaGlitz [Friday, April 24, 2009]

Isaignani Ilayaraja is acting in a song for the first time in his career for the film Azhagar malai. Showing up in his own car in his usual sparkling white attire, the musician dedicated six days for the shoot of a song, Ullagam Ippo, in the film directed by SP Rajkumar.

The Isaignani, who is known to let his music speak for himself, has finally agreed to even don the greasepaint. Acting as himself in the movie’s first song, the musical genius is said to have worked like any professional actor. The song was shot in locations that had an impact in his real life, including his school, the bridge he grew up near, the banyan tree he played with his wife in, and his mother’s cemetery. The song was captured in Thiruvannamalai Raman Assramam, where the genius picked his spiritual learnings from, the Uthama Palayam Aatru Paalam, Mullai Periyar, and the Madurai American College where he studied, apart from the Banyan tree that he and his wife Jeeva played under.

The musician, who looks up to the land of Thiruvannamalai, as a holy place, trod the entire area without wearing footwear, and let his mother’s cemetery been shown on screen for the first time. He also insisted on cleaning it completely by himself and participated with a lot of enthusiasm in the shoot. Director SP Rajkumar gives all credit for making this happen to his producer Sangili Murugan who persuaded the Isaignani to act.

http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/46506.html[/tscii:e440b583e5]

R.Latha
24th April 2009, 02:38 PM
[tscii:44a583681b]Ilayaraja’s new role
April 24, 2009

The fans of Ilayaraja are in for a treat. Yes, they will get to see their idol on screen. What more! He will be featuring in a marvelous song that has a mesmerizing tune set for poignant lyrics. The song will be featured in the film Azhagar Malai. To cap it all, the maestro has set the tune for this song which starts with the lyrics Ulagam Ippo Enga Poguthu…

http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/apr-09-04/ilayaraja-24-04-09.html

Ilayaraja will be seen in his customary white costume and the song will also feature Ilayaraja’s mother’s cemetery, a specific banyan tree where he played around with his lovable wife, his regular road to Thiruvannamalai’s Ramana Ashram, his school and American College of Madurai.

Azhagar Malai has RK and Bhaanu in the lead roles. The film is directed by S.P. Rajakumar and produced by Sangili Murugan. [/tscii:44a583681b]

anegan
24th April 2009, 07:54 PM
No doubt it is going to be a treat.
It is true that Raja's pictures were very rare up until the late 90s. I used to get so excited whenever I saw a picture of Raja.

To see him in a whole song, it is going to be a treasure.

raja_fan
24th April 2009, 10:59 PM
No doubt it is going to be a poor show..

I would like Raja to confine himself behind screen and not "dance" to the wishes of his Jalras.

anyways, the most interesting screen appearance of Raja that I remember is in "Rettai vaal kuruvi".

Radhika would visit Raja's studio for voice testing. She is pregnant awaiting delivery very soon. Raja will ask her "oru keerthanai paadumaa". As soon as she starts singing, she will get labour pain. Raja will give a puzzled look for a moment. There it is cut.

Then she is admitted to hospital. A man from Raja's studio will call up Mohan to inform this. "Sir, unga wife Raja saara paakka vandhaanga"..Mohan on the other side "Rajavaa..endha Raja ?" :)

Nostalgic !

app_engine
27th April 2009, 11:21 PM
[tscii:15ab7c1391]http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Sabesh-and-Muralis-musical-journey/articleshow/4444364.cms

You have remixed the hit Aayiram Thaamarai for the film Vaigai...
Sabesh: We haven’t remixed the song. We’ve just re-recorded it. When Ilayaraja composed Aayiram..., he used five tracks to record the song because of lack of advanced technology. When director Sundara Pandi asked me to remix the song, we weren’t willing to. Aayiram was a beautiful song and we didn’t want to mess with it. But, since the original version was monophonic, we couldn’t have used it as it is in Vaigai.
Murali: That’s when we decided to re-record it. Except for the lead singers, we recorded the entire song with the old crew. The musicians too were extremely happy. It isn’t that we aren’t interested in doing remixes. We don’t want people to forget the original version.

[/tscii:15ab7c1391]

This sounds really interesting, something which I wanted for certain IR songs...recording with modern tech while retaining the instrumental portion note-by-note. The singers cannot be the same for obvious reasons, and will definitely suffer. If they're replaced by sax kind of instrument, we'll probably get some collections like the Paul Mauriat ones...

Is the re-recorded 1000 thAmarai (by S-M) somewhere available on the web to sample?

rajaalltheway
28th April 2009, 01:56 PM
Vaigai songs available at http://www.raagangal.com/.Ofcourse its a re-recording with something wrong about it.

raja_fan
28th April 2009, 07:38 PM
Something wrong...?

The female lead singer selection itself is very wrong :)

ivargalellaam re-record seiyyaama yaar azhudhaa !

venkiks
28th April 2009, 08:46 PM
I agree with Raja fan. Anuradha Sriram is surely lacking the expression. Chorus and humming in prelude is not up the the original. Other things that is lagging behind are the first interlude, the brief usage of flute during the charanams.

Karthik comendable job

Overall the remake of the song does not create the same mood as the original one did. However I want many of Raja's songs to me remade with the better technology and accoustic instruments.

This seems to be a good start. Thanks Sabesh Murali.

Alaigal Oivathillai is one of the best recorded albums of IR. The original recording of this album is just compatible with any of the newer recordings. I wonder why Sabesh Murali chose to remake this song.

app_engine
28th April 2009, 09:24 PM
I wonder why Sabesh Murali chose to remake this song.

Original is mono (this is something I couldn't understand with IR as he was switching between mono and stereo quite a bit during the late 70's and early 80's and some of his greatest gems are mono...my guess is possibly to suit the predominantly AM radio those days)... and S-M can't use it as such and create a good impact on the new sound track it seems...

BTW, thank you rajaalltheway for the link. I'll give it a listen this evening...

baroque
28th April 2009, 11:01 PM
I haven't listened to Sabesh-Murali's work yet.
But
Mono, Stereo.. whatever... please people DON'T TOUCH SHRI.IR'S MUSICALS. LEAVE THEM ALONE. THEY ARE PERFECT.
If HE wishes to enhance them, HE will do it. They are his creations.

I have decades old பிரியா, நெஞ்சத்தைக் கிள்ளாதே, உதிரிப் பூக்கள் , மணிப்பூர் மாமியார் ETC.... audio cassettes.

A WELL RECORDED CASSETTE SOUNDS FANTASTIC.

Some days I listen to them IN SONY TC WE475(NORMAL RANGE CASSETTE PLAYER) WITH DENON MID RANGE AMPHLIFIER AND MORTIN LOGAN HIGH END SPEAKERS, other days I have enjoyed them with a SONY audio cassette walkman while going for a walk... I have memories of listening to them from the near by tea shop blasting IR songs during my school, college days while crossing the street or sitting in my varaanda or bus travel.. etc.. MUSICALS always sound DIVINE! சுகமா இருக்கு for years....
அவரு என்ன மாதிரி தந்தாரோ அதுவே போதும்! :musicsmile:

All of you guys,
Offer us your own musicals, good & bad we embrace them.
:ty:
Vinatha.

fan_ir
29th April 2009, 02:01 AM
The original is in Stereo :) and orchestration; Excellent

app_engine
29th April 2009, 02:18 AM
I'll listen to the original this evening in headphones to confirm whether mono or stereo :-)

It's long since I've listened to any song on headphones...mostly only on car, can't easily distinguish for old songs...

baroque
29th April 2009, 02:20 AM
Alaigal Oyivadhillai, I have only DVD. :) .
Couple of songs from the movie in assorted collection CD.
whatever...

They are ORIGINALS, these people have no right to enhance or change or rehash or spoil :twisted: Shri.IR's works.

vinatha.

app_engine
29th April 2009, 02:28 AM
One thing we must understand, IR's works are like lessons for next gen composers - much like the way any piano student learns fur elise:-)

And it's a fact that some of the evergreen numbers got recorded in obsolete equipments and could suffer disapperance if they are not "used" by future musicians. After all they're classics and if not today someday there'll be 100's of versions of them, played and recorded by numerous bands.

So, IMO, what S-M is doing is a welcome trend (as opposed to horrible remixes that corrupt with horrendous rap beats - uLaRals). I would applaud them for this beginning :-)

app_engine
29th April 2009, 02:30 AM
And like I said earlier, it would be much better if people attempt like Paul Mauriat - vocals replaced by instruments.

baroque
29th April 2009, 02:50 AM
இது ஒன்னும் புதுமை கிடையாது .. பெருமை பட்டு embrace செய்யறதுக்கு...
Maybe suggest to Karthik or Yuvan to bring the EVERGREEN MUSICALS in instrumentals - cd with better recordings with Shri.IR's permission.
That's the way to go.
I have listened to Rahman's 'Timeless classics - A.R.Rahman instrumental' at a friend's house once.
LABEL is Times Music. :)

http://shopping.indiatimes.com/i/f/t/Timeless_Classic_A_R_Rahman_Instrume-pid-1114931-ctl-20375412-cat-110296-pc-110001-&bid=&prc=&sid=&q=&%27n%27%27n%27%27n%27%27n%27%27n%27%27n%27%27n%27% 27n%27%27n%27%27n%27%27n%27

Whatever some of us don't want them :) we stay with classy, finesse Ilayaraaja... people with the appetite for them enjoy...

Watched my favorite film BREACH one more time in dvd this weekend with my friends.
Gripping story and controlled quite scenes with emotive bgm, formidable performance of the actors. :thumbsup:
fine espionage thriller.. You will love it. :wave:

Movies like MADHUMATHI(HINDI), NENJAM MARAPPADHILLAI, AA DINAGALU, BREACH.. ETC... stay in our heart forever - eerie best films !
vinatha.

jaiganes
29th April 2009, 05:48 AM
I think, After a long long drive in a car with loads of Raasappu's music, the technological deterrents were overcome by Raja in a clever way - use of counterpoints and interludes with a mixture of instruments from all sonic timbre. This ensured that even if the technology moved ahead, the music did not lag behind, something that has kept the classical music relevant even now.
However as AE pointed out - it will not be a bad idea to retouch those classics, giving due credit to Raaja. If Raaja himself is not going to be bothered about remastering, I guess he will not say no to some one else doing it - a different way to say 'Naatudamayakkapattadhu'.

kiru
29th April 2009, 10:43 AM
I haven't listened to Sabesh-Murali's work yet.
But
Mono, Stereo.. whatever... please people DON'T TOUCH SHRI.IR'S MUSICALS. LEAVE THEM ALONE. THEY ARE PERFECT.

If HE wishes to enhance them, HE will do it. They are his creations.

I have decades old பிரியா, நெஞ்சத்தைக் கிள்ளாதே, உதிரிப் பூக்கள் , மணிப்பூர் மாமியார் ETC.... audio cassettes.

A WELL RECORDED CASSETTE SOUNDS FANTASTIC.

Some days I listen to them IN SONY TC WE475(NORMAL RANGE CASSETTE PLAYER) WITH DENON MID RANGE AMPHLIFIER AND MORTIN LOGAN HIGH END SPEAKERS, other days I have enjoyed them with a SONY audio cassette walkman while going for a walk... I have memories of listening to them from the near by tea shop blasting IR songs during my school, college days while crossing the street or sitting in my varaanda or bus travel.. etc.. MUSICALS always sound DIVINE! சுகமா இருக்கு for years....
அவரு என்ன மாதிரி தந்தாரோ அதுவே போதும்! :musicsmile:

All of you guys,
Offer us your own musicals, good & bad we embrace them.
:ty:
Vinatha.

I agree, savvy music people will probably find lots of holes in the new recording.
BTW, Martin Logans ?? what model ? I envy your stereo.
BTW, you should give the good old LP record players a spin. It will literally run circles around cassette and even CDs (yes !!!!)

baroque
29th April 2009, 11:18 AM
Married to a Impulse - buying fellow. We woke up one fine Saturday, roaming around the mall, before I realized the guy blew away our savings...I was yelling and screaming. :twisted: :lol: I cancelled my India trip that yr. :cry2:
As usual, later I was very glad he did. :)
Martin Logan Aeon i.
When we bought it was Low end model.
Now I think, it is mid range.
The receiver we have currently is not powerful enough to drive the speakers.
Minimum we need to upgrade to DENON AVR-3808.
கையில் காசுயில்லாம உக்காந்து இருக்கோம் ...often எட்டி எட்டிப் பார்ப்போம் ... :P
anyway... we are not the people who replace the electronics every couple of yrs...
We prefer to purchase quality stuff when we can afford and stick with it. That goes to Shri.IR songs too. I selectively buy the ones I am fond of as assorted collection. :) Contently enjoy them. :)

Around 97 a friend of ours bought this model.
http://www.audio-components.de/seiten/ac/info/martinlogan/ML_Aerius_i/Aeriusi.htm
We used to go to their place to watch movies.
My hubby's love affair started from then on..:D

Plum
29th April 2009, 04:08 PM
vinatha, I dont fully agree with you but I liked the sentiment in your post :-)

baroque
29th April 2009, 09:24 PM
உனக்குப் பிடித்த பாடல் எனக்கு சகிக்காதே....:lol:
well, go ahead have a blast...:)
Some of us have great selections and these originals are AMAZING, the composers are TRUE LEGENDS.
{Shri.IR's and other GREAT composer's original musicals are considerably available these days.
Whatever we can afford and fond of we can buy them & enjoy.}
SO MUCH GREAT MUSIC AVAILABLE OUT THERE..
TOO LITTLE TIME and MONEY FOR US.
Vinatha.:)

inetk
30th April 2009, 07:41 PM
Ilaiyaraja and the Curse of the Visual - Part 1
http://unrulednotebook.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/ilaiyaraja-and-the-curse-of-the-visual-part-1/

Fantastic write-up....looking forward to further parts!

baroque
30th April 2009, 08:55 PM
Of course, music has no language barriers.
But regarding vocals... Shruti - singing on key is important. GOOD SINGING MATTERS. People notice.
Long time ago, I was playing some IR sings for you collection while driving, my American friend when she got down from the car, She was mumbling ' Singer is bad '. ' He is singing off - key , he is shaking, it is not pleasant.. (out goes the tabala, patdeep rag, flute, humming in oru kaaviyam...or counterpoints in others etc..)
Next day we were listening to கார்த்திகேய.... ராகா வளச்சி ... vocal aalapana with rapid swara renderings... for 25 mins and L.shankar's Pancha nadai pallavi - violin etc.. She was telling me 'this is stunning.' :)
(See, we are used IR singing and love some songs dearly.)
It was in my mind .. later I dragged her one time played some of the finest musical pieces of Shri.IR like அதிகாலை நேரமே...., வா பொன் மயிலே....., பூந்தளிர் ஆட..... etc..
Nice we are claiming Shri.IR used vocals as one of the instrument with stunning orchestration etc.. but Singers like S.P.B GENUINELY added VALUE to the composition.
for a regular person everything matters..... எல்லாமே பார்ப்பாங்க
Yes, Music has Universal appeal indeed.
that's why Late M.S..சுப்புலக்ஷ்மி mesmerized the audience in U.N(1966) or my Marathi friend is crazy about the mood, pleasing orchestration and the singing in ஆயர் பாடி மாளிகையில் ..... ஸ்ரீ கிருஷ்ண கானம் with out understanding the lyrics. :musicsmile:
Vinatha.

K
4th May 2009, 01:39 PM
http://tamilgallery.oneindia.in/v/Tamil-films/azhagar-malai/

raja_fan
8th May 2009, 11:28 AM
Video of Raja singing in Bhagawan Ramanar's Aradhanai festival in Thiruvannamalai.

http://sriramanamaharshi.org/aradhana2009.html

thumburu
8th May 2009, 01:04 PM
[tscii:4f0919d803]baroque, I am with you cent percent regarding IR and Co repeatedly , mercilessly assaulting our fine auditory nerves with their singing. People didn’t want to endure the fate for ever and outright rejected him during 90’s . Aanaa sila perukku pattaalum buddhi varaadhu. IR must be eternally obliged to legendary singers like SPB/KJY for adding that amazing dimension to many of his songs. IR family paadinaa vendiye irukkaadhu[/tscii:4f0919d803]

baroque
8th May 2009, 08:43 PM
:)

dochu
8th May 2009, 09:21 PM
raja-Fan
Thanks for the link.

anegan
9th May 2009, 12:10 AM
இளையராஜா, அவருக்கு பிடித்ததை சிறப்பாகவே செய்து கொண்டிருக்கிறார்.
இந்த மண்ணில் ஒருவருக்கு வேறென்ன வரம் வேண்டும்?

raja_fan, Thanks for the link.

jaiganes
9th May 2009, 01:19 AM
Of course, music has no language barriers.
But regarding vocals... Shruti - singing on key is important. GOOD SINGING MATTERS. People notice.
Long time ago, I was playing some IR sings for you collection while driving, my American friend when she got down from the car, She was mumbling ' Singer is bad '. ' He is singing off - key , he is shaking, it is not pleasant.. (out goes the tabala, patdeep rag, flute, humming in oru kaaviyam...or counterpoints in others etc..)
Next day we were listening to கார்த்திகேய.... ராகா வளச்சி ... vocal aalapana with rapid swara renderings... for 25 mins and L.shankar's Pancha nadai pallavi - violin etc.. She was telling me 'this is stunning.' :)
(See, we are used IR singing and love some songs dearly.)
It was in my mind .. later I dragged her one time played some of the finest musical pieces of Shri.IR like அதிகாலை நேரமே...., வா பொன் மயிலே....., பூந்தளிர் ஆட..... etc..
Nice we are claiming Shri.IR used vocals as one of the instrument with stunning orchestration etc.. but Singers like S.P.B GENUINELY added VALUE to the composition.
for a regular person everything matters..... எல்லாமே பார்ப்பாங்க
Yes, Music has Universal appeal indeed.
that's why Late M.S..சுப்புலக்ஷ்மி mesmerized the audience in U.N(1966) or my Marathi friend is crazy about the mood, pleasing orchestration and the singing in ஆயர் பாடி மாளிகையில் ..... ஸ்ரீ கிருஷ்ண கானம் with out understanding the lyrics. :musicsmile:
Vinatha.

I remember some western critic raving about IR's voice in Thiruvasagam. So it would be stupid to expect some one(a westerner) tounderstand IR's voice in 'Nalla veLLI kezhamiayile' song. That is meant for you and me - not for some john anderson or richard cooperson. By the same token, many hubbers are singing praises of mik jagger and Bon Jovi etc., When I hear those songs Icannot stand them for more than 10 seconds. Tastes differ and in case of Raja's voice - there is a filmi situation and the context that he composes to.

crajkumar_be
9th May 2009, 02:53 AM
I remember some western critic raving about IR's voice in Thiruvasagam. So it would be stupid to expect some one(a westerner) tounderstand IR's voice in 'Nalla veLLI kezhamiayile' song. That is meant for you and me - not for some john anderson or richard cooperson. By the same token, many hubbers are singing praises of mik jagger and Bon Jovi etc., When I hear those songs Icannot stand them for more than 10 seconds. Tastes differ and in case of Raja's voice - there is a filmi situation and the context that he composes to.
Well said Jai :thumbsup:

It's a ridiculously absurd thing to say "my American friend says IR is a bad singer"! Who the f cares :lol:

Thumburu,
Whilst you are still lost in your own 1947 constructs and cocoons, may i remind you that "Namma Kaattula", "Ariyaadha Vayasu", "Paravaye", "Machaan Machaan" to name just four, which FYI, happened in the 2000s, were very much welcomed by the "people". Just say you hate IR's voice instead of giving crap as though you represent the views of the general population of TN.

baroque
9th May 2009, 04:58 AM
Jai,
Can you point rest of us to that Westerner's review on TIS if it is available on web?

Jai,

It is not about her.

Craig,

It is not ridiculous. :twisted:

I mentioned a incident happend in my life a decade ago. It was not preplanned though next couple of days were. There was a assorted Cd playing while we were driving... because she commented like that.. It was in my mind, I dragged her to listen to some awesome IR magics.. this time I chose the compositions with magical prelude, caressing vocals like ஒ butterfly... , ஆனந்த தாகம் ... etc. as I have mentioned in my previous post. I truly care.
point is ..
It is not about Westerner or Easterner. Indeed music has no language boundaries.
People notice imperfections in vocals. For some, it matters a lot.

ரொம்ப bore சொன்னதையே திரும்ப explain செஞ்சுண்டு ... :x

I know some of my very close friends did not like or not very fond of TIS for its vocals. They grew up with Shri.IR's music, they generously donated for the making of TIS.

any way.. bye bye..

Vinatha. :wave:

rajasaranam
9th May 2009, 12:05 PM
மேட்டிமைதனத்தின் அராஜகம் ராஜாவின் குரலை விரும்பத்தான் செய்யாது. அஜல குஜல என்னும் கானா இயக்கம் சமிபத்தில் சில பாடகர்களின் குறுவட்டுக்களை வெளியிட்டுள்ளது. அதில் வரும் சில பாடகர்களை மியூசிக் அகாடமியின் பக்கத்திலேயே நெருங்க விட மாட்டர்கள் ஆனால் உயிர்புடன் இயங்கும் அவர்களின் பாடலை கசிந்துருகும் ஜேசுதாஸ் ஆயிரம் ஜென்மங்களிலும் அடைய முடியாது. அந்த உயிர்ப்பு மக்களுடன் நெருக்கமாய் இருப்பாதால் மட்டுமே அவர்களால் அடைய முடிகிறது.
அப்படி மக்களுடன் நெருக்கமாய் இருப்பதாலேயே 'ராஜா'வின் குரலும் பெரும்பான்மை மக்களை ஈர்த்து இருக்க சில மேட்டு குடியினர் மட்டும் தங்கள் மேட்டிமைத்தனத்தில் இருந்து விடுபடாமல் இருப்பது அவர்களின் குறுகிய மணத்தையே வெளிச்சம் போட்டு காட்டுகிறது. வேடிக்கை என்னவென்றால் சாரு நிவேதிதா ராஜாவின் குரலை விமர்சிப்பதுவும் இந்த பத்தாம் பசலிகள் ராஜாவின் குரலை விமர்சிக்கும் காரணமும் 180 டிகிரி முரன்படுகிறது. மக்கள் இது போன்ற கருத்துகளை ஒதுக்கி தள்ளி விடுவார்கள். ராஜாவை மகா வித்துவான் என புகழ்ந்த 'செம்மங்குடி சீனிவாசைய்யர்' ராஜாவின் கீர்த்தனைகளில் அவர் குரலில் மிளிரும் பாவத்தையே குறிப்பிட்டு சொன்னார். அவர் ஒரு மகான் எனவே தனது மேட்டுகுடித்தனத்தை தாண்டி உலகை காணுகிறார். ஆனால் அரை வேக்காடுகள் எங்கும் இருப்பார்கள் என புரிகிறது - சாரு ஆன்லைனிலும் ஹப் மய்யதிலும் அவர்களை காணலாம்.

jaiganes
9th May 2009, 12:08 PM
Jai,
Can you point rest of us to that Westerner's review on TIS if it is available on web?

Jai,

It is not about her.

Craig,

It is not ridiculous. :twisted:

I mentioned a incident happend in my life a decade ago. It was not preplanned though next couple of days were. There was a assorted Cd playing while we were driving... because she commented like that.. It was in my mind, I dragged her to listen to some awesome IR magics.. this time I chose the compositions with magical prelude, caressing vocals like ஒ butterfly... , ஆனந்த தாகம் ... etc. as I have mentioned in my previous post. I truly care.
point is ..
It is not about Westerner or Easterner. Indeed music has no language boundaries.
People notice imperfections in vocals. For some, it matters a lot.

ரொம்ப bore சொன்னதையே திரும்ப explain செஞ்சுண்டு ... :x

I know some of my very close friends did not like or not very fond of TIS for its vocals. They grew up with Shri.IR's music, they generously donated for the making of TIS.

any way.. bye bye..

Vinatha. :wave:
IRIR might be able to point out that link which had a western reviewer say that the indian lead vocal (IR) was more effective than trained broadway singer Ray courthart in the album. I personally feel that Ray also has sung well - but not sung his heart out. Raja has sung his heart out - not by touching the sonic volumer barrier, but in the plaintative 'umbargatkarase' he goes close to melting point with his voice. Some times bhaava is more important in some pieces. Again suggestion is 'Nalla Vellikizhamayile' song. there are a few occassions where Raja catches some breath - but with the movie picturisation it fits to the T and I love this song very much and so does my father who cannot tolerate abaswarams and sruthi mistakes. Coz the point is not just about sonic clarity or a music competition judge mindset. It is more about the context. I still believe that there is simply plainly no one who understands the 'bhava' of a thiruvasagam well enough to emote it while singing. SPB would have to be desankritized, unnikrishnan would have to be decarnaticised and KJY de malayalicised to sing that umbargatkarase. Since Raja has sung it I feel like singing it - as opposed to a KJY or SPB - Iwould not have dared to sing it - just listen to it in awe- that is a point lost as Thiruppugazhum thiruvaasagamum padap paada thaan sirappu. IF the listener is flummoxed by all the aalaps and musical detours, then pretty much like all he carnatic songs, yandhira gadhiyil, ishtam pola paadath thoanum. bhavam velippattaal dhaan, context herinju paada mudiyum.
Effect totally would be like an amul baby aravind saamy reciting 'Achamillai achamillai' in thalabathy - neat rendering, but some how disconnected.

rajasaranam
9th May 2009, 12:22 PM
Jai,

அது என்ன 'ரெஸ்ட் ஆப் அஸ்' எண்னி ரென்டு பேர் தான் இருக்கீங்க இங்க! :)
எல்லாத்துக்கும் லிங்கு பாய்ன்டர்ஸ் இருந்தாதான் நம்மலால நம்ப முடியும். உஙக தோழி சொன்னது வெப்'ல இருக்கா?!! ஜோக்ஸ் அபார்ட் - நான் அப்லோட் செய்திருக்கும் யூ டியுப் விடியோக்களில் தேடி பாருங்கள். மேக்கிங் ஆப் திருவாசகம் எனும் தொடரில் புடாபெஸ்ட்டை சேர்ந்த சில இசை கலைஞர்கள் 'கிரேட் சிங்கர்' 'டிவைன் வாய்ஸ்' என சிலாகிப்பதை காணலாம்.

raja_fan
9th May 2009, 02:28 PM
Did IR decide to break away from Fr.Jegath Gasper for good ?

http://www.tamilhindu.com/2009/05/christian-dravidian-nexus/

crvenky
9th May 2009, 03:48 PM
S. Ramakrishnan writes on Kottu (countryside rhythms), mentioning IR's usage (Virumandi & Pudhiya Varppugal song).

http://www.sramakrishnan.com/view.asp?id=261&PS=1

baroque
9th May 2009, 08:40 PM
"rajasaranam"

அது என்ன 'ரெஸ்ட் ஆப் அஸ்' எண்னி ரென்டு பேர் தான் இருக்கீங்க இங்க! :)
எல்லாத்துக்கும் லிங்கு பாய்ன்டர்ஸ் இருந்தாதான் நம்மலால நம்ப
I sincerely asked the review. Not to double check....
(So far I have read only one review IRIR123 posted recently. )
ராஜாசரணம் ,
In your first post, you are writing
மேட்டிமைத்தனம் , மேட்டுக்குடி , சாரு நிவேதிதா ... etc..
I don't know about them. I don't have Indian T.V channels, neither I follow the articles, interviews or opinions or blogs etc.. closely.
Jai... enjoy good for you!
Vinatha.

irir123
9th May 2009, 09:34 PM
Did IR decide to break away from Fr.Jegath Gasper for good ?

http://www.tamilhindu.com/2009/05/christian-dravidian-nexus/

to start with IR should NOT have associated himself with politically motivated crooks like Gasper, who tried to use IR's popularity and image to promote their own evangelical objectives

so many people burnt their fingers with the TiS project, and all that heartburn could have been avoided if IR had done the project through a proper label in a professional manner

if IR has not yet broken up with Gasper, its better he does it now

Sureshs65
9th May 2009, 10:57 PM
Jai,

Hope Vinatha doesn't feel that we are ganging up against her but I sincerely feel the same way that you have expressed regarding 'umbargatkarase'. The emotion that Raja brings is superb and as you said it would not have been possible by other trained singers. 'ingu euntharuluvadhiniye' Aah. What a composition.

baroque
10th May 2009, 09:55 AM
Not at all, Suresh.
Enjoy the experience. vinatha.

K
11th May 2009, 10:47 AM
http://chudachuda.blogspot.com/2009/05/blog-post_09.html

crvenky
11th May 2009, 11:14 AM
There is a series on ARR’s life in A.Vikatan and Rani magazines. In this week’s Rani, its mentioned that ARR broke away from IR’s orchestra, as IR refused to give a rise of Rs.50 in his salary. This news was shared by one of the regular lyricists of IR. He says, when ARR demanded Rs.50 extra, his ‘veettaar’ (does it mean his family members or associates?) said what he is paid is already more than enough. Hence ARR didn’t go for the next few recordings. An angry IR told him immediately not to come again. Later, when IR came to know about the reason for ARR’s attitude, he lamented that he lost a real good artiste.

R.Latha
11th May 2009, 11:42 AM
[tscii:7ba9a5dbd8]தமிழ் சினிமா ரசிகர்களுக்கு சமீபகாலமாக
அவ்வப்போது குதூகலம் தரும் நற்செய்திகள் வந்து
கொண்டேதான் இருக்கின்றன. "சிவாஜி', "தசாவதா
ரம்' படங்களின் உலகளாவிய வெற்றி, "பருத்திவீரன்,
"வெயில்' படங்கள் உலகப்பட விழாக்களில் பாராட்டு
கள் பெற்று திரும்பியது என்று தொடரும் வெற்றி பரி
சுகளில் மிக சமீபத்தில் வந்து சேர்ந்தன ஏ.ஆர். முருக
தாசின் பிரம்மாண்ட பாலிவுட் "கஜினி' வெற்றியும்,
ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மானின் சிகரம் தொட்ட ஹாலிவுட் ஆஸ்
கர் வெற்றியும்.
லேட்டஸ்ட் ஹாட் மேட்டர் என்னவென்றால்...
தமிழ்த் திரைப்படப் பாடல்கள் இப்போதெல்லாம்
பள்ளி, கல்லூரி மற்றும் கோயில் திருவிழாக்களைத்
தாண்டி, 5 ஸ்டார் ஹோட்டல்களில் நடைபெ
றும் பார்ட்டிகளிலும், டிஸ்கொதேக்களிலும்
ஒலிக்கத் தொடங்கியிருக்கின்றன. வழக்க
மாக நவநாகரீக மேல்தட்டு மக்கள் சந்தித்து
ரிலாக்ஸ் செய்து கொள்ளும் இந்த இடங்க
ளில் மேற்கத்திய இசைதான் முழங்கும்.
அதற்கு வயது பாகுபாடின்றி, பாலின வேறு
பாடின்றி டான்ஸ் ஆடித் தீர்ப்பர் "பார்ட்டி
அனிமல்கள்'.
எதிலும் வித்தியாசம் வேண்டுமே! எத்தனை நாள்
தான் வெளிநாட்டவர்கள் போடும் "வெஸ்டர்ன்
பீட்'களுக்கே ஆடிக்கொண்டிருக்க முடியும்? "கொஞ்
சம் நம்மூர் லோக்கல் குத்தும் குத்தினால் எப்படியிருக்
கும்'- என்று உட்கார்ந்து "டிஸ்க் ஜாக்கிகள்' யோசித்த
தின் விளைவோ... அல்லது ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மானின் வரு
கைக்குப் பின் வந்த பல இளம் மியூசிக் டைரக்டர்கள்
"குத்த' வெச்சு உட்கார்ந்து சிந்த சிந்த போட்ட இளமை
யான குத்துக்களின் விளைவோ என்னவோ... "அட்
ரட்றா நாக்க முக்க...', என்று பிளிறுகின்றன ஈவ்னிங்
பார்ட்டிகள். இதில் முக்கியமாக, "வேர் ஈஸ் தி
பார்ட்டி...', "நாக்க முக்க...', "அப்படிப்போடு...',
"டாக்ஸி டாக்ஸி...' போன்ற குத்துப் பாடல்களுக்குத்
தான் அலறல் ஆட்டம் போட்டுகிறார்களாம் பார்ட்
டிக்கு வருபவர்கள்.
இதுபற்றி, "தமிழ் சூப்பர் ஹிட் படங்களிலிருந்து
டப்பாங்குத்து பாடல்களை போடச் சொல்லிக் கேட்
பதுதான் தற்போது பார்ட்டியில் கலந்து கொள்பவர்க
ளின் புது ஃபேஷன் ஆகியிருக்கிறது' என்கிறார்கள்
பார்ட்டிவாசிகளுக்கு பிடித்த பாடல்களை ஒலிபரப்
பும் "டி.ஜே'க்கள் என்று சுருக்கமாக குறிப்பிடப்படும்
"டிஸ்க் ஜாக்கிகள்'.
""தமிழ் சாங்ஸýக்கு ரசிகர்கள் அதிகரித்துவிட்டார்
கள். இளைஞர்களோ வயசானவங்களோ, சென்னை
வாசிங்களோ அல்லது வேற நகரத்தைச் சேர்ந்தவங்
களோ யாராயிருந்தாலும் இப்போ டப்பாங்குத்து
பாடல்களைத்தான் பார்ட்டியில் விரும்பிக் கேட்கி
றார்கள். அதுவும் தமிழ்ப் பாடல்களைதான் நிறைய
பேர் போடச் சொல்லி செம டான்ஸ் மூவ்மெண்ட்ஸ்
கொடுக்கிறாங்க. தமிழ் சாங்ஸýக்கு இப்படி ஏற்பட்டி
ருக்கிற திடீர் வரவேற்பால எங்க ஹோட்டல்ல ஒவ்
வொரு மாசமும் "தமிழ் மியூசிக் நைட்'னு ஒண்ணை
டெடிகேட் பண்ண ஆரம்பிச்சிருக்கோம். அதுக்கு
டாப் லெவல்ல வரவேற்பு கிடைச்சிருக்கு'' என்கிறார்
சென்னையின் பெரிய நட்சத்திர ஹோட்டல் ஒன்றின்
டி.ஜே.
அவரே தொடர்ந்து, ""தென்னிந்தியர்கள்தான் இப்
படி தமிழ்ப் பாட்டுகளை விரும்பி கேட்கிறதா நீங்க
நினைக்கலாம். ஆனா உண்மை என்னன்னா வட
இந்திய மக்கள்தான் தென்னிந்தியர்களை
விட இப்போ தமிழ்ப் பாட்டை விரும்பிக்
கேட்கிறாங்க. அவங்களுக்கு, தமிழ்
மொழியும், பாட்டோட வரிகளும் புரிய
லைன்னாலும் "நாக்கமுக்க...', "அப்படிப்
போடு'னு வார்த்தைகளும், அதற்கான
மியூசிக்கும் "கேட்சிங்'கா இருக்கிறதால
ரொம்ப ரசிச்சு ஆடறாங்க!'' என்கிறார்.
சென்னையிலுள்ள ரெசிடென்ஸி
ஹோட்டலில் பணிபுரியும் டி.ஜே. பாலா, ""எங்க
ஹோட்டலின் பார்ட்டி நைட்களை நாங்க தமிழ் மியூ
சிக்கால்தான் நிரப்புறோம். சில பேர் புத்தம்புது
பாடல்களோடு, "காசுமேல காசு வந்து...', "உயிரின்
உயிரே...' போன்ற கொஞ்சம், நடுத்தர பாட்டுகளை
யும் ஞாபகம் வச்சி டெடிகேட் பண்ண சொல்றாங்க.
இப்படி தமிழ் மியூசிக் பார்ட்டி, பப் போன்ற பல
மொழிக்காரர்கள் கூடும் இடத்தில் ஒலிக்க ஆரம்பித்தி
ருப்பது தமிழ் மியூசிக் டைரக்டர்களுக்கு கிடைத்திருக்
கிற பெருமை. என்னைப் பொருத்தவரைக்கும் நான்
இதுக்காக ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மானுக்குத்தான் தேங்க்ஸ்
சொல்வேன். ஒரு மியூசிக் டைரக்டர்கிட்டே இருந்து
வருகிற நல்ல இசை உலகத்தரமாகவும்
இருக்கும்போது, அதுக்கு மொழி ஒரு
தடையே இல்லைன்னு நிரூபிச்சவர்
அவர்'' என்கிறார்.
டப்பாங் குத்துப் பாடல்களுக்கு
ஹோட்டல் மற்றும் பப் பார்ட்டிக
ளில் மட்டும் மவுசு வந்திருக்க
வில்லை. சமூக சேவை அமைப்
பைச் சேர்ந்தவர்கள்
கூடும், கெட்-டுகெதர்களி
லும்
மவுசு வந்தி
ருக்கிறது.வெறும்
ஆட்டம் பாட்டங்களுக்
காக என்றில்லாமல், சில
நல்ல விஷயங்களில் முடி
வெடுப்பதற்காகவும் சமூக
சேவகர்கள் கூடும் இது
போன்ற இடங்களில் டப்
பாங் குத்துப் பாடல்களுக்கு
வரவேற்பு கிடைப்பது
கொஞ்சம் ஆச்சரியமானது
தான் என்கிறார்கள் தமிழ்த்
திரையுலகினர்.
""என் மகளின் பிறந்த
நாளுக்கு வட இந்தியாவிலி
ருந்து என்னுடைய உறவி
னர்கள் நிறைய பேர் இங்கே
வந்திருந்தார்கள். அவர்கள்
அனைவருமே "ஓ போடு...',
"அப்படிப் போடு...' பாடல்
களை விரும்பி கேட்டது
எனக்கு ஆச்சரியமாக இருந்
தது. தமிழ் மியூசிக் அடைந்தி
ருக்கும் "ரீச்'சை சொல்ல,
இது ஒன்றே போதும்'' என்கி
றார் ரச்னாகுமார் என்கிற
சமூக சேவகி.
ஒரு செல்ஃபோன் கம்பெ
னியின் விளம்பரப் படத்தில்
அபிஷேக் பச்சன் "அப்படிப்
போடு...' பாட்டுக்கு
போட்ட ஆட்டம்தான் இந்த
தமிழ் மியூசிக் வரவேற்பிற்
கான அச்சாரம் என்கிறார்
கள் விமர்சகர்கள். வினோத்
கோபால் என்ற நிகழ்ச்சி ஏற்
பட்டாளரும் இதை ஆமோ
திக்கிறார். அவர், ""சமீபத்தில்
நான் மும்பை போயிருந்த
போது, டிஸ்கொதேக்குப்
போயிருந்தேன். அங்கே ஒரு
பாட்டுக்கு நிறைய பேர் ஆடி
கிட்டிருந்தாங்க. எனக்கு
முதல்ல ரொம்ப ஆச்சரியமா
இருந்தது. ஏன்னா அவ்வ
ளவு பேரும் அத்தனை ரசிச்சி
ஆடினது ஒரு தமிழ்ப் பாட்
டுக்கு!'' என்றார் அவர். சமீ
பத்தில் சென்னையில் பல
மாடல்கள் கலந்து கொண்ட
"ரேம்ப் வாக்' நிகழ்ச்சி ஒன்
றுக்கு ஏற்பாடு செய்து இருந்
தாராம். அதில் நடந்த ஒரு
விஷயம் இதுவரை நாம் யாரும் கேள்விப்பட்டிரா
தது. அதில் மாடல்கள்தான் "வாக்' போட்ட
னர் என்றாலும், அவர்கள் "வாக்'கிற்கு
"பேக்'கில் ஒலித்தது தமிழ் சினிமா குத்
துப் பாடல்கள் என்பது சர்ப்ரைஸ்
ஹைலைட்.
""நானும் அந்த ரேம்ப் வாக் ஷோவின் கோரி
யோகிராஃபர் சஞ்சய்யும் ஏதாவது வித்தியாசமாக
முயற்சி செய்து நிகழ்ச்சியை இன்னும் சுவாரஸ்ய
மாக்க எண்ணினோம். பின் மும்பையிலேயே டிஸ்
கோதேவில் தமிழ்ப் பாடல் ஒலிக்கும்போது, சென்
னையில் நடக்கும் ஒரு நிகழ்ச்சியில் தமிழ் மியூசிக்கை
ஏன் ட்ரை பண்ணக்கூடாது என்று யோசித்தோம்.
அதையே செயல்படுத்தவும் செய்தோம். டப்பாங் குத்
துப் பாடல்கள் ஒலிக்க, மாடல்கள் அதற்கேற்ப அசத்
தல் நடை நடந்தனர். இதனால் எங்களுக்கு எதிர்பார்த்
ததுக்கும் மேலான ஆதரவு கிடைத்தது. ஷோவும்
பெரிய ஹிட் ஆனது!'' என்கிறார் வினோத் கோபால்.
குத்துப் பாடல்களுக்கு குறைவான வாழ்நாள்தான்
என்பதால் மாற்று முயற்சியாக இன்னொன்றையும்
மேற்கொள்கிறார்கள் டிஸ்க் ஜாக்கிகள். தமிழில் சமீ
பத்தில் ஹிட் ஆன ரீ-மிக்ஸ் பாடல்களை பார்ட்டி
ஹாலில் ஒலிபரப்புபவர்கள், தாங்களே ரீ-மிக்ஸ்
செய்த பாடல்களையும் ஒலிபரப்பி "பார்ட்டி அனி
மல்'கனை உற்சாகப்படுத்துகிறார்கள்.
70-களில் திரும்பிய பக்கமெல்லாம் ஹிந்திப் பாடல்
கள்தான் தமிழகத்தில் ஒலித்துக் கொண்டிருந்தன.
பாமரர்கள்கூட ஹிந்தி பாடல்களுக்கு ஆட்பட்டி
ருந்த அந்த காலத்தில், இளையராஜா என்ற இளைஞர்
மீண்டும் தமிழிசைக்கு தன்னிசை மூலம் புத்து
யிர் கொடுத்தார். ஏ.ஆர்.ரஹ்மான்
என்ற இளைஞர் ஹிந்தியிலேயே
போய் இசையமைத்து
அந்த ரசிகர்க
ளைக் கவர்ந்
தார். தற்
போது ரஹ்மா
னைப் பின்பற்றி
நவீன இசையை வழங்கிவ
ரும் யுவன், ஹாரிஸ், விஜய்
ஆண்டனி போன்ற இளசு
கள் தமிழில் இசைய
மைத்தே பிற மொழி
யி ன û ர யு ம்
கவர்ந்திருப்
பது குறிப்
பிடத்தக்க
ந ல் ல
வ ள ர் ச் சி
தான்!

http://www.cinemaexpress.com/pdf/[/tscii:7ba9a5dbd8]

Sanjeevi
11th May 2009, 12:56 PM
Good Latha

but neenga idha Current Topics section-la pottu irukkalam :)

rajasaranam
13th May 2009, 03:51 PM
A rare find by one of the fans 'dilsoft' in Pathabangaram (http://pathabangaram.com/forums/index.php)
was a movie titled 'Vinalani Vundi' (http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4431/vinalanivundilx7.jpg). for further details check the thread HERE (http://pathabangaram.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6098).
Just wanted to know if any of you are finding which songs are composed by Raaja. 'Chimile' is a strong contender for the time being.
The movie was being directed by RGV after 'Daud' and got dropped for unforeseen reasons. but somehow the songs have found their way to youtube & PB. The song which is doubted to have been composed by Raaja, 'Jab Jhume Jhume' hindi version of 'Chimile' can be viewed HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=804dqIpbWrs)

thumburu
13th May 2009, 05:58 PM
[tscii:2868517ee9]
மேட்டிமைதனத்தின் அராஜகம் ராஜாவின் குரலை விரும்பத்தான் செய்யாது. அஜல குஜல என்னும் கானா இயக்கம் சமிபத்தில் சில பாடகர்களின் குறுவட்டுக்களை வெளியிட்டுள்ளது. அதில் வரும் சில பாடகர்களை மியூசிக் அகாடமியின் பக்கத்திலேயே நெருங்க விட மாட்டர்கள் ஆனால் உயிர்புடன் இயங்கும் அவர்களின் பாடலை கசிந்துருகும் ஜேசுதாஸ் ஆயிரம் ஜென்மங்களிலும் அடைய முடியாது. அந்த உயிர்ப்பு மக்களுடன் நெருக்கமாய் இருப்பாதால் மட்டுமே அவர்களால் அடைய முடிகிறது.
அப்படி மக்களுடன் நெருக்கமாய் இருப்பதாலேயே 'ராஜா'வின் குரலும் பெரும்பான்மை மக்களை ஈர்த்து இருக்க சில மேட்டு குடியினர் மட்டும் தங்கள் மேட்டிமைத்தனத்தில் இருந்து விடுபடாமல் இருப்பது அவர்களின் குறுகிய மணத்தையே வெளிச்சம் போட்டு காட்டுகிறது. வேடிக்கை என்னவென்றால் சாரு நிவேதிதா ராஜாவின் குரலை விமர்சிப்பதுவும் இந்த பத்தாம் பசலிகள் ராஜாவின் குரலை விமர்சிக்கும் காரணமும் 180 டிகிரி முரன்படுகிறது. மக்கள் இது போன்ற கருத்துகளை ஒதுக்கி தள்ளி விடுவார்கள். ராஜாவை மகா வித்துவான் என புகழ்ந்த 'செம்மங்குடி சீனிவாசைய்யர்' ராஜாவின் கீர்த்தனைகளில் அவர் குரலில் மிளிரும் பாவத்தையே குறிப்பிட்டு சொன்னார். அவர் ஒரு மகான் எனவே தனது மேட்டுகுடித்தனத்தை தாண்டி உலகை காணுகிறார். ஆனால் அரை வேக்காடுகள் எங்கும் இருப்பார்கள் என புரிகிறது - சாரு ஆன்லைனிலும் ஹப் மய்யதிலும் அவர்களை காணலாம்.

rajasaranam, u seem to be undoing what ever good work u did for this ir forum by ur mischief mongering post. Veiled personal attacks can never substitute a healthy counter argument. As a seasoned hubber , one would rather expect you to post in a mature manner .
crajkumarbe, what to do? Diverse povs do exist. Open ur stifled windows and get some fresh air instead of bothering about my cocooned existence.
Regarding the current IR songs which u listed they are few and far between and esp a song like "paravaiye" is strongly rooted to the movie's context and is bound to click , raja's faltering at many places in the second charanam not withstanding. Even I have enjoyed certain 80's Raja singing for "soLam vedhakayile" or "nila adhu vaanathu mela" which were stray occurances then and not a routine fare.
I do belong to a slice of the disgruntled population who felt the "amma atha .." kind of songs that have no context whatsoever , for likes of Ramarajan/Rakjiran/Murali whose movies came out dime a dozen every week and produced by some "uppuma" producers with the sole motive of raking some fast moolah at the cost of Raja's popularity and clout was reaching a point of no return, with his "parivaram" too joining the bandwagon.
Don’t talibanise IR forum and convert it to a bhajanai madam.
Champion of democracy plum, where art thou?

[/tscii:2868517ee9]

crajkumar_be
14th May 2009, 11:46 AM
[tscii:7ec1ef6ba9]
crajkumarbe, what to do? Diverse povs do exist. Open ur stifled windows and get some fresh air instead of bothering about my cocooned existence.

Don’t talibanise IR forum and convert it to a bhajanai madam.
Champion of democracy plum, where art thou?

Thumburu,
Just say you hate IR's voice instead of giving crap as though you represent the views of the general population of TN.

Plain simple English. Read and comprehend. Jannala ellam naanga tharandhukkarom.

Yeah, and don't convert this forum into a Naradha Gaana Sabha :lol2:
[/tscii:7ec1ef6ba9]

rajaalltheway
14th May 2009, 12:38 PM
This months 'BHAASHA POSHINI' literary magazine from malayala manorama group has a beautiful article on Ayyas life in his own words.Some rare photographs of his ancestral home and family is also there.

raja_fan
14th May 2009, 02:11 PM
crajkumar_be,

Why do you drag Narada Gana sabha here ?
Adhu enna kevalamaa pochchaa ?

thumburu
14th May 2009, 03:21 PM
raja fan, avar enna appidiyaa sonnaar? naradaroda thumburu gaanam maadhiri avvalo musicala irukkunnu praise pannaraar. Idhukku poyi yen kovam? avar enna TTK vaa kochikka? :))
crajkumarbe, naan oru karuthu sonnaa, tamilnaattai vakkaalathukku izhuppen , kandukka vendam
apparam, plain englishlaam varaadhu , enakku , tanglish thaan [idhuleyum TN podhujanam maadhiri thaan naan]

Plum
14th May 2009, 07:11 PM
"Champion of democracy plum, where art thou? "
Idhula nadula ennai edhukkupa uruttareenga? :-)
P.S: Ipdillam vera image create aayirukka? idhai modhalla udaikkanum :-)

Anyway, makkale, indha topic is going to a point of no return. That that feeling to that that person. Truce, everyone, please.

Plum
14th May 2009, 07:15 PM
Indha edathula, thalaivar Equanimus sonnadhu ninaivukku varadhu:
"Art-la democracy velaikkavadhu"

kiru
14th May 2009, 11:16 PM
I dont think rs made a veiled attack. It was an open attack on people nitpicking with IR's singing as "elitism". Personally, inspite of being a 'sangeetha gnanasoonyam' I myself find IR's singing wanting at places. But on the flip side, he is a "successful" popular music singer. His diction is good, he emotes well and connects with the listener. Whether you and me like it or not, there are thousands or even millions of people who enjoy and appreciate his songs and singing. We can say these people dont know much about music and that is why the like his singing. And this is what I think rs calls - "elitism".

Anyways, I hope none of us have the impression IR does not appreciate or give importance to "shruthi suththam". That he even almost made BMK sing on stage the 27 swara sthanams shows he is aware of his limitation as a singer (otherwise he would have demoed it). He has introduced great singers, and used great singers to sing great songs. Only when the situation warrants for emotions more than technicalities or if the pro singer is not available he has sung. So let us stay focussed on this criticism.

app_engine
15th May 2009, 12:42 AM
Only when the situation warrants for emotions more than technicalities or if the pro singer is not available he has sung.

Not always - for example, he felt free to sing songs like 'nAnAga nAnillai', 'idhayam oru kOvil' ' ennai thAlAtta varuvALA' etc and release them on the disc, even though he knew there's a SPB / HH version which is also on the same disc and will probably be the one that'll be on screen as well.

Reason ? We'll have to accept that Raja simply felt like asking the admirers of his music -not necessarily his singing- to listen to "his master's voice" :-) Let's not hide the fact that Raja at times had that "creator's ego / pride" and showed off this way.

There were other factors as well - producer or director's "sentiment" that if he sings title song, padam Odum and the like.

Personally I love his singing, though at times feel that there should also be "another version" of the same song :-)

Another question - even regular singers have made blunders (sometimes music notes themselves, often words / pronunciation). Why it's always Raja's singing that's slighted while the 'thEvai pAVAL parvai' gets scot free?

MumbaiRamki
17th May 2009, 08:02 PM
DD aired the 'yaarum thodaatha' song from Ajantha ... :roll:

Picturisation was bad , but not that bad .....as usual 20 dancers , hero & heroines dancing n grass...As usual raaja's voice was not fitting to ramana ..or atleast to the kind of picturisation !

irir123
18th May 2009, 07:38 AM
MR - IR indha maadhiri strings, harmony ellaam use panni super smoothaa interludes compose panni paattellaam koduppaaru - namma oor directors konjam kooda karpanai valamo, illai, rasanaiyyo illaama, 'chingu chikkaan' stylela adhai picturise pannuvaanga - EKSI

raja_fan
18th May 2009, 08:01 AM
irir,

Exactly !

For our directors, usage of drums means dance & dance only. A humming in the background means some one should really open her mouth and hum !

No subtle treatments, feelings etc etc !

I would appreciate people like Bharatiraja, Raj kiran etc..even Gangai Amaran to some extent. They knew how to picturize !

Plum
18th May 2009, 11:37 AM
"Not always - for example, he felt free to sing songs like 'nAnAga nAnillai', 'idhayam oru kOvil' ' ennai thAlAtta varuvALA' etc and released them on the disc, even though he knew there's a SPB / HH version which is also on the same disc and will probably be the one that'll be on screen as well.
App, these were songs which IR sung track for I believe, and realsing those on the cassette was for satisfying his hard core fans, some of whom believe his naanaga naan illai trumps SPB's version. Sugar content on SPB's voice being high, some diabetics need Raja's insulin to counter-balance the sugar in the album when SPB features in the album :-)

raaja_rules
18th May 2009, 01:07 PM
[tscii:92606f5b51]Debutant director Ujjwal Singh’s movie Chal Chalein should have been screened at the 62nd Cannes Film Festival on May 16 at the Indian Pavilion.

Raaja sir has scored a youthful track for the movie.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Bollywood/Ujjwal-Chal-Chalein-Cannes/articleshow/4505931.cms

always

~~Raaja rules!
[/tscii:92606f5b51]

raaja_rules
18th May 2009, 01:09 PM
It's official website:

www.chalchaleinthefilm.com

always

~~Raaja rules!

raagas
18th May 2009, 04:26 PM
Any idea when is the audio of this film releasing. it is interesting to see that the lyricist is Piyush Mishra, who has recently done some brilliant work in Gulaal (as lyricist and also as composer).

irir123
18th May 2009, 08:48 PM
irir,
Exactly !
For our directors, usage of drums means dance & dance only. A humming in the background means some one should really open her mouth and hum !
No subtle treatments, feelings etc etc !
I would appreciate people like Bharatiraja, Raj kiran etc..even Gangai Amaran to some extent. They knew how to picturize !

Thats why, many of us IR fans, dont want him to do films, as (i) our films do not deserve his music (ii) his film projects in recent times either dont see the light of the day, or simply bomb at the BO and (iii) his music is not available easily online

he shd hav been focussing a lot on non-film projects professionally done with good labels

crvenky
20th May 2009, 05:21 PM
Singer Vijitha:

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/May/180509d.asp

"இசைஞானி இளையராஜா தனது திருவாசகம் ஆல்பத்தில் பாட வைத்தாராம். 'ராஜா சார் அழைப்பார்னு எதிர்பார்க்கவே இல்லை. என்னை பாட சொல்லி கேட்டவர், சொல்லியனுப்புறேன்னாரு. இரண்டே வாரத்தில் அழைப்பு வந்தது அவரிடமிருந்து. என் காதுகளை என்னாலேயே நம்ப முடியலேன்னு சந்தோஷப்படும் விஜிதா இன்னொரு விஷயத்தையும் நமக்கு சொல்லி, ராஜாவை மஹாராஜாவாக்கினார்!தனது கைக்குழந்தையோடு பாடுவதற்கு போவாராம் விஜிதா. கணவர் குழந்தையோடு வெளியே காத்திருக்க, உள்ளே பாடிக் கொண்டிருப்பாராம். ஒரு மணி நேரத்திற்கு ஒரு முறை 'போய் குழந்தையை பார்த்திட்டு வாம்மா'ன்னு அனுப்புவாராம் ராஜா. நான் கேட்பதற்கு முன்னாடி அவரே ஞாபகம் வச்சிருந்து ஒவ்வொரு முறையும் அனுப்புவார்' என்று மெய் சிலிர்த்தார் விஜிதா."

rajasaranam
21st May 2009, 11:12 PM
1.From the Interview of Valmiki Director Anantha Naarayanan in this weeks Anantha Vikatan Titled : "ஒரு டீ... ஒரு காதல் "

"இளையராஜா - வாலி கூட்டணி பத்தி..."

" அவங்கதானே படதுக்கு பளிச் லைட் ஹவ்ஸ். சென்னையின் ப்ளேவர் ராஜா சாரிடம் அத்தனை அதி சுத்தமா பரிசுத்தமா இருக்கு. வாலி சாரும் பக்கத்துல இருந்தா கேட்கவா வேணும்! ராஜா சாரே மூணு பாட்டு பாடியிருக்கார். அதுல ஒண்ணு... அக்மார்க் முத்திரை குத்தபட்ட சென்னை பாஷைப் பாட்டு. வழக்கமா சின்ன ரகசியமும் சோகமும் தாங்கி வரும் தன் குரலை ஒளிச்சுவெச்சுட்டு, அடி தொண்டையில் இருந்து பாடியிருக்கார் ராஜா சார். பின்னணி இசையில் படத்தை பிரமாதப்படுத்திட்டார்!

The Album raises my expectation high as Iam a die hard fan of the Raaja's voice in 'Anney Anney sippai anney' and 'Antha Kaandamani' and that too if its a 'Gaana' song like 'Machi Mannaru' its gonna be a double treat :redjump: :bluejump: :redjump:

PS: Album not for Raaja voice detractors for sure.

2.From the Interview of write Jeyamohan Translating 'Pazhassiraaja' for the Dubbed version into tamil in this weeks 'Kumudam' Titled : "கேரளத்து கட்டபொம்மன்"

"இளையராஜா இசை பற்றி...?"

"ராஜாவுக்கு ஒரு தனித்திறமை உண்டு. அவரால இசைவழியா பண்பாட்டுக்கு உள்ளே போயிட முடியும். பல வருஷங்களுக்கு முன்னாடி மலையாளத்திலே அதர்வம்னு ஒரு மாந்த்ரீகப் படம் வந்தது. அதுக்கு ராஜா தான் இசை. அதுல பயன்படுத்தப்பட்ட பெரும்பாலான வாத்தியங்கள் கெரளத்துக்கு மட்டுமே உரிய தாளவத்தியங்கள். கேரள இசை தவிர வேற ஒண்ணுமே தெரியாத ஒரு மேதை போட்ட இசை மாதிரி இருந்தது. அதான் அவரோட திற்மை.
இந்த மாதிரி படங்களுக்கு அந்த களம் பண்பாடு எல்லாம் தெரியாம இசையமைக்க முடியாது. அதுக்கு இப்ப ராஜாவை விட்டா வேற யார் இருக்கா?"

:notworthy:

Already soaked in 2009 offerings after his hiatus in the past few years. Now these back to back releases of Albums are going to send us to the edge of madness I believe :evil:

kiru
21st May 2009, 11:47 PM
Looks like the valmiki director knows raaja very well..when he says "சின்ன ரகசியமும் , சோகமும் தாங்கி வரும் தன் குரலை" ..
"PS: Album not for Raaja voice detractors for sure" a very good warning :-)

kiru
21st May 2009, 11:59 PM
"Not always - for example, he felt free to sing songs like 'nAnAga nAnillai', 'idhayam oru kOvil' ' ennai thAlAtta varuvALA' etc and released them on the disc, even though he knew there's a SPB / HH version which is also on the same disc and will probably be the one that'll be on screen as well.
App, these were songs which IR sung track for I believe, and realsing those on the cassette was for satisfying his hard core fans, some of whom believe his naanaga naan illai trumps SPB's version. Sugar content on SPB's voice being high, some diabetics need Raja's insulin to counter-balance the sugar in the album when SPB features in the album :-)

Also, atleast one of them was penned by raaja himself, which usually gives him a right to sing it :-) BTW, I dont believe he is a humble person. For that matter, I am not even sure I can deal with him as a person. But I just trust him to pick the right singers within the constraints of a commercial/filmy environment.
Some people think he should have introduced more singers like Rahman. It all depends on how demanding you want to be ..
My preference is KJY songs of IR.

krish244
22nd May 2009, 12:03 AM
Apart from IR, Rahul Nambiar, Reeta, Bela Shinde, Shreya Ghosal and Tippu have also sung for "Valmiki":

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200905211680.htm

thanks,

Krishnan

app_engine
22nd May 2009, 12:15 AM
Tippu :-(

I can't stand ANY song that he has sung for Raja. Where's Malaysia Vasudevan now? Looks like he is as irreplacable as SPB / KJY !

writeface
22nd May 2009, 12:24 AM
I have the same opinion about Tippu! Can't stand him!

MumbaiRamki
22nd May 2009, 12:30 AM
Heard one song (bit) in FM today .. Looked like typical female-vilage song ..

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2009, 12:35 AM
I have the same opinion about Tippu! Can't stand him!

Same

The only song I liked which is sung by Tippu was Kadhal Vanthal

rajasaranam
22nd May 2009, 01:10 AM
The Best song by Tippu for Raaja is 'Ithuvarai naanoru pazhaya manithan' from 'Konji Pesalam'

Sureshs65
22nd May 2009, 11:04 AM
AE,

Malaysia Vasudevan nowadays comes as a judge for the singing shows. His voice is definitely gone. KJY is also struggling a bit. SPB is the one who is still going strong though the strain has started showing a bit. In the female side only Chitra is still in good form. We can safely say that as far as the male voices are concerned, an era has passed. And what an era it was!!

Plum
22nd May 2009, 02:13 PM
Tippu - only song I tolerate from his raja songs is Ennai Ketkum from Kavari Maan. Adhu kooda Karthik would have been a better choice

raagas
22nd May 2009, 03:04 PM
I never liked Tippu's voice.. it has too much of rash careless brat kind of element, instead of some seriousness in it.

But i always had some issues with IR's singer selection, with some of the songs.

thumburu
22nd May 2009, 04:53 PM
I feel Tippu is a capable singer whose voice lacks the mellowness or "kuzhaivu" of an SPB but still his voice is stable when compared to MalaysiaVasudevan though not as heavy set as his. I liked his "kasturi pottu" from "konji pesalam" and "ennai ketkum" from "kasturi maan"

MumbaiRamki
22nd May 2009, 10:48 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/may-09-04/ilayaraja-22-05-09.html

as usual , these kind of statements only from raaja :(

rajasaranam
22nd May 2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/may-09-04/ilayaraja-22-05-09.html

as usual , these kind of statements only from raaja :(
:( Too bad if Raaja had misunderstood mysskin :(

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2009, 11:37 PM
In tamil

http://www.tamilcinema.com/CINENEWS/Hotnews/2009/May/220509c.asp

:(

Sanjeevi
22nd May 2009, 11:49 PM
Vaalmigi trailor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_09AZzz558)

Innda Pandy Inna Panna Pora

I like this song

krish244
23rd May 2009, 12:12 AM
MumbaiRamki, although I too at first was thinking "oh no...there he did it again", but there are two things to this. One is, if IR had not responded to that statement, people would think or interpret (and probably even publish a rumour) this as "Mysskin, supporter (or messenger) of IR is promoting IR". Remember, there are directors (Shankar) who has not worked with IR. I think even Linguswamy has not worked with IR. So that could hurt IR's ego (another thing). I don't think, IR, for his talent and character, could have put it in a more polished way. So, I feel right about what IR did. In the process, he must have made Mysskin uncomfortable. Had IR not responded, even Mysskin would have earned a bad name in the industry/press.

IR, despite many of the top directors (MR, KB, BR, etc) not working with him anymore, has sustained very well in the industry for so many years. The full credit should go to his talent and only talent. IR has proven that he does not need any top director to not just survive in the industry, but also be in the reckoning. I truly admire IR for this achievement. I agree that top (and good) directors can certainly extract the better of him and I also do wish that he works with them, but what IR did in the function was probably right. My view.

thanks,

Krishnan

krish244
23rd May 2009, 12:22 AM
Just read the tamil version. It gives more gory details of his speech :). Yes, he could have avoided unnecessary references. I think he was a little angry with Mysskin even otherwise and this statement from Mysskin (that all directors should work him for full satisfaction) had angered and hurt his ego further. I still feel what IR said about not requiring any recommendation, point blank, was right.

Eri malai vedithu sidhariyadhu! :)

thanks,

Krishnan